MUSCULOSKELETAL THORAX / CHEST PAIN
"Rib tissues can be injured in a variety of ways. Coughing and sneezing are a couple of common ones. Throwing is also a fairly common way to injure these tissues (especially throwing something really heavy like a chunk of firewood). As you can imagine, rib injuries are common in sports. Not only are they found in contact sports like football, but they are also found frequently in baseball, softball, and even golf (swinging a bat or golf club can tear rib tissues and put even the “heavy hitters” on the D.L.)." - Doctor Russell Schierling from Destroy Chronic Pain
About three years ago, Bryana was rock climbing and rappelling. She fell, swung outward, and crashed back into a hunk of rock jutting out from the face, hitting her chest / ribs in the process. Over the course of the past few years, Bryana has been through every test you can imagine (many of them multiple times) and seen a wide variety of specialists. When nothing showed up on tests, it was believed that her problem might be cardiac (despite the fact that she was barely out of junior high school). Yes, she was dragged through all sorts of cardiac tests, which were all negative.
CHRONIC RIB TISSUE PAIN: CAUSES AND SOLUTIONS
- INFLAMMATION: Any time you hear the word "itis" you need to realize that you are dealing with a physical problem based on INFLAMMATION. In fact, when it comes to causes of chronic rib pain, Inflammation is a common one. Take, for instance, Costochondritis. Costochondritis (costo / chondr / itis --- cost = ribs, chondro = cartilage, and itis = inflammation) would mean you are dealing with an inflammation of the rib cartilages --- an extremely painful and miserable condition. Other than the standard fare of NSAIDS, there a couple of extremely effective things you can do for this particular problem. The first is to DRAMATICALLY CHANGING YOUR DIET. The second would be LOW LEVEL LASER THERAPY.
- DEPRESSION / STRESS / ANXIETY: I included this one simply because so many people with chest pain or pain in the area of the rib cage are told that their problem is stress. Don't get me wrong; I very much realize that stress can be a serious problem (HERE is a wild example). However, it can and frequently does become an easy scape-goat. The same thing can be said about DEPRESSION and anxiety, which are both considered to be "Inflammatory".
- CARDIOVASCULAR PROBLEMS: This is one that cannot be discounted or overlooked. Having a diminished blood flow to the heart can cause chest pains in the form of angina or even a heart attack. Bear in mind that in many cases, Heart Attacks get undue credit for causing chest or rib pain (HERE is one such example).
- RIB FRACTURES: If you are having spontaneous rib fractures from things like twisting or coughing, you have a serious issue on your hands in the form of OSTEOPOROSIS or a similar systemic disease process.
- RIB SUBLUXATION: SUBLUXATION is the chiropractic term used to describe bones that are not completely dislocated, but are not lined up correctly in relationship to each other (understand that the medical community uses the terms subluxation and dislocation synonymously). Typically, if a rib is "out of place" you will have pain when you cough, sneeze, or breathe. Although rib problems are not 'dangerous' in the sense that a Herniated Disc can be, they can be exquisitely painful to the point of making you think you are dying.
- TEARS OR ADHESIONS OF THE RIB FASCIA: Although this is not one you will find on the "Top Ten" lists of rib pain for popular medical sites like Web MD or Mayo Clinic, it is a major cause of rib or chest pain that can range from mild to SEVERE / DEBILITATING (click on link for a rib pain video from another young woman who was told her rib pain was cardiac-related).
Part of the problem is that most doctors don't really seem to grasp the importance of FASCIA or understand how it can so frequently wind up involved in various CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES. Throw in the fact that fascia is not easily imaged with MRI and you create the environment for unleashing CHRONIC PAIN'S "PERFECT STORM". Fortunately, our protocols for detecting and treating SCARED CONNECTIVE TISSUES are, in the majority of cases, quite effective at getting to the bottom of things, finding the causes of Chronic Pain, and dealing with them in a timely manner. To see how effective, take a look at some of our hundreds of VIDEO TESTIMONIALS.
CHRONIC CHEST PAIN AFTER CAR ACCIDENT
SOLVED WITH TISSUE REMODELING
I found her case particularly interesting because her pain was caused by severe Scar Tissue and FASCIAL ADHESIONS where the under-wire of her bra was driven into her body by the impact of the airbag and seat belt. Her's was, as I have stated time and time again, THE PERFECT STORM of Chronic Pain. Listen to Amy tell her story, and if you suffer from RIB TISSUE PAIN, make sure to check out these links as well.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration