RIB PAIN / CHEST PAIN
RIB TISSUE PAIN
"Rib tissues can be injured in a variety of ways. Coughing and sneezing are a couple of common ones. Throwing is also a fairly common way to injure these tissues (especially throwing something really heavy like a chunk of firewood). As you can imagine, rib injuries are common in sports. Not only are they found in contact sports like football, but they are also found frequently in baseball, softball, and even golf (swinging a bat or golf club can tear rib tissues and put even the “heavy hitters” on the D.L.)." - Doctor Russell Schierling from Destroy Chronic Pain
I got the first email from Mike a couple months ago after he found us while searching for a solution to his Chronic Rib Pain. A soccer player since his youth, he had bumped shoulders with an opposing player (they ran into each other) four years ago, causing a pain underneath his shoulder blades (in the area of his ribs) which, over the course of four years, left him in pain management wondering if he might be better off dead. I saw Mike for the second time one week ago today. The second story comes from Bryana.
About three years ago, Bryana was rock climbing and rappelling (not in a gym, but outdoors). She fell, swung outward, and crashed back into a hunk of rock jutting out from the face, hitting her chest / ribs in the process. Over the course of the past few years, Bryana has been through every test you can imagine and seen a wide variety of specialists. When nothing showed up on tests, it was believed that her problem might be cardiac (despite the fact that she was barely out of Jr. High). Yes, she was dragged through all sorts of cardiac tests, which were all negative. Take a look at these two video examples of people we have helped with Chronic Rib Pain.
CHRONIC RIB / CHEST PAIN
CHRONIC SEVERE RIB PAIN
CHRONIC RIB TISSUE PAIN CAUSES AND SOLUTIONS
(There's a lot of meat on them thar ribs!)
- INFLAMMATION: Any time you hear the word "itis" you need to realize that you are dealing with a physical problem based on INFLAMMATION. In fact, when it comes to causes of chronic rib pain, Inflammation is a common one. Take, for instance, Costochondritis. Costochondritis (costo / chondr / itis --- cost = ribs, chondro = cartilage, and itis = inflammation) would mean you are dealing with an inflammation of the rib cartilages --- an extremely painful and miserable condition. Other than the standard fare of NSAIDS, there a couple of extremely effective things you can do for this particular problem. The first is to DRAMATICALLY CHANGING YOUR DIET. The second would be COLD LASER THERAPY.
- DEPRESSION / STRESS / ANXIETY: I included this one simply because so many people with chest pain or pain in the area of the rib cage are told that their problem is stress. Don't get me wrong; I very much realize that stress can be a serious problem. However, it can and frequently does become an easy scape-goat. The same thing can be said about DEPRESSION and Anxiety. By the way, both of these are considered to be "Inflammatory" problems (for more information, click on the corresponding links).
- CARDIOVASCULAR PROBLEMS: This is one that cannot be discounted or overlooked. Having a diminished blood flow to the heart can cause chest pains in the form of angina or even a heart attack. Bear in mind that in many cases, Heart Attacks get undue credit for causing chest or rib pain (HERE is one such example).
- RIB FRACTURES: If you are having spontaneous rib fractures from things like twisting or coughing, you have a serious issue on your hands in the form of OSTEOPOROSIS or something similar.
- RIB SUBLUXATION: This is the chiropractic term used to describe bones that are not completely dislocated, but are not lined up correctly in relationship to each other (understand that the medical community uses the terms subluxation and dislocation synonymously). Typically, if a rib is "out of place" you will have pain when you cough, sneeze, or breathe. Although rib problems are not 'dangerous' in the sense that a Herniated Disc can be, they can be exquisitely painful to the point of making you think you are dying.
- TEARS OR ADHESIONS OF THE RIB FASCIA: Although this is not one you will find on the "Top Ten" lists of rib pain for popular medical sites like Web MD or Mayo Clinic, it is a major cause of rib or chest pain that can range from mild to SEVERE / DEBILITATING (click on link and watch the above videos).
Part of the problem is that most doctors don't really seem to grasp the importance of FASCIA or understand how it can so frequently wind up involved in various CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES. Throw in the fact that Fascia cannot be imaged with MRI, and you create the environment for unleashing CHRONIC PAIN'S "PERFECT STORM". Fortunately, our protocols for detecting and treating Scarred Connective Tissues such as FASCIA or TENDONS are, in the majority of cases, quite effective at getting to the bottom of things, finding the causes of Chronic Pain, and dealing with them in a timely manner.