WHAT KIND OF PERSON
COMES TO SEE DOCTOR SCHIERLING?
WHAT DOES A TYPICAL 1ST VISIT LOOK LIKE?
The quote above came from a prospective patient (a PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN) telling me about the thought process that helped him develop his unique method of teaching instrumental music --- a method that dramatically shortens the time it takes to become proficient with a violin, fiddle, cello, viola, etc. The fact that I have essentially done something similar with the practice of chiropractic resonated with him. As you might imagine, he had been going through the very same things that THESE INDIVIDUALS had gone through --- the promise that all it will take to fix your problem is enough chiropractic adjustments (HERE).
If you are one of the hundreds of millions of Americans dealing with some sort of CHRONIC PAIN ISSUE or CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE, you'll have to spend some time studying and pondering what it's going to take to create an EXIT STRATEGY (hint: your doctor has not been able to do this for you because he / she is not trying to 'solve' your problem; just 'MANAGE' it). Although there is no one-size-fits-all approach to health, the good news is that one size fits most. The bottom line is that if you are not doing something to deal with the INFLAMMATION that is driving your problem(s), sooner or later its effects will catch up with you --- often in ugly and debilitating fashion.
WHAT DOES A VISIT TO DOCTOR SCHIERLING LOOK LIKE?
Maintenance means that you are 'maintaining' something ----- i.e. taking care of it before it breaks --- in the absence of visible symptoms / problems. In my profession, "maintenance" is frequently not really maintenance at all because it's the only thing that controls the pain. Unfortunately ---- JUST LIKE DRUGS --- Chiropractic Adjustments are used to manage instead of solve. Sometimes that's all you can do. Sometimes, but not usually.
There are large numbers of people whose only real pain relief is through CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS (sorry; HYDROS, NSAIDS, and IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPRESSION don't really count as 'maintenance'). Unfortunately, for a significant portion of this same group, the effects of said adjustments are short-lived. For some of you, the adjustment might last a few weeks. For many of you, it might only be a few days --- or even worse; a few hours (HERE).
What makes a trip to Doctor Schierling different? And what does a visit to Schierling Chiropractic, LLC look like if you've never been here before?
- CONTACT THE OFFICE: If you are considering becoming one of our OUT-OF-STATE OR INTERNATIONAL PATIENTS, you need to send me your history via our CONTACT PAGE. This same page is where you can see what the clinic looks like and sort of kick the tires. Otherwise just call Cheryl at (417) 934 6337 to make an appointment. Walk-ins are always welcome and will be worked in if time allows.
- PAPERWORK: Unfortunately, if you are coming in as a new patient, there will be some paperwork for you to fill out. However, to make things easier, simply go HERE, print it out at home, and bring the completed forms with you.
- CONSULTATION & EXAM: I will bring you back to my office, discuss YOUR PROBLEM(S), then examine you. If I think I can help you, I will help you here and now. If not, I will try and point you in the right direction (OFTEN LIKE THIS). If I am UNSURE, I will tell you that as well.
- TREATMENT: Whatever treatment(s) I do; in most cases my goal is to address the UNDERLYING CAUSE of your pain. My goal is always to make an immediate here-and-now change (HERE are numerous examples of what I'm talking about). Sometimes --- particularly with acute problems --- this is not possible (HERNIATED DISCS can be an example of this). However, with most chronic, long-standing problems, you will know after one treatment whether or not my approach is going to benefit you. This does not mean that a single treatment will necessarily provide the complete solution. But you will know.
- POST-TREATMENT: Depending on what problem(s) you were here for and what we did, I may send you out with advice from my website, EXERCISES, STRETCHES, NUTRITIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS, POSTURAL REHAB, HOW TO ADDRESS YOUR OWN BACK PAIN, etc, etc, etc. In most cases, I will not make you a follow-up appointment. If you like what I do and feel it's beneficial, fantastic. Call me if and when you want to come back. If not, that's OK to. I don't claim to be able to solve everyone's problems. What I will do is go out of my way to help you in any way I can (example coming momentarily).
- AS YOU LEAVE THE OFFICE: Because our fees are so low --- typically lower than most co-pays (adjustments are $35.00 and TISSUE REMODELING is $45.00) --- payment is expected at time of service. For new patients, there will be a $40.00 examination fee. If you have questions about anything else, just visit our FAQ PAGE.
- OUT OF STATE OR INTERNATIONAL PATIENTS: For those who are coming from great distances to see me (HERE), make sure to take a look at THIS PAGE as it will answer almost any question you could ask --- other than "Can you help me with........?".
Things at Schierling Chiropractic, LLC are simple. There is never a sales pitch. And while I do carry a few WHOLE FOOD SUPPLEMENTS in my office, I do not sell them through my website. You will not hear me chiding you for not being in often enough, or that if you would just let me give you enough adjustments, I can solve all your problems. Again, if I think I can help you, I will help you. If I don't, I won't (HERE is an example).
Below is a short transcript of an email conversation I had with a desperate patient earlier this week (I get so many of these --- many in the form of "Blog Comments" over at DESTROY CHRONIC PAIN --- that I cannot possibly answer them all). If I do answer them at length (HERE or HERE), it's in the form of a blog post so that everyone gets to share in it.
"Dr. Schierling, I had gall bladder surgery last February and never felt like I recovered from the surgery because I have had stomach problems every since. Shortly after, I got bile gastritis that made my stomach inflamed and raw. I also ended up going to the ER one night with pain under my front ribs on both sides. The Dr. Immediately told me it was costochondritis and would heal itself within a couple months. That was 10 months ago and the soreness of my ribs has only spread and now Drs have told me that's not what I have.
No one knows what it is and I am so miserable. It has never hurt me when I cough or breathe deep. Now all across my front ribs hurt and at times I feel like there's a tight band from my left side to my right side. Putting any pressure on any of my ribs in back also is very painful. When I have any extra stress at all, it gets worse and the band across feels tighter and all I can do is lay down with a heating pad which helps a bit but does not take it away.
Drs have prescribed me all sorts of pain medicines but none seem help in any way and I don't like taking them in regards to not getting gastritis again with anti-inflammatory's etc. I'm reaching out for any answers for this. I could live my life the way I want to if I didn't have this misery all the time. It's better at night when I'm sleeping, and when I first wake up to start my daily routine it flares up immediately.
It's only gotten worse since it started last February and no Dr. I've seen has helped me figure it out. I'm so frustrated not knowing what is causing it and how I can get relief from it. I'm desperate now for answers or any ideas of what it could be. What test will show what's going on in my rib cage. I will so much appreciate any help you can give me! Thank you."
Unfortunately, this is probably not something I can help you with.
"In response to my first contact form I didn't go into all the details. Please read and see if this changes anything in regards to what you could possibly do for me.
My gall bladder surgery was due to it being inflamed. Then just short of a month later I got an inflamed stomach. Then my ribs started hurting and the Dr diagnosed me with inflammation /costochondritis which still hurts me daily. My abdomen has hurt me down my right side and all through the middle of my abdomen. I've had all kinds of test for that cat scans, mri's, ultrasounds, x rays, gastropariesis test, ekg's which all turned out with everything normal nothing was wrong. I've been in and out of the ER to no avail. I saw a gastroenterologist for two years. Had two colonoscopy's, two endoscopy's
A stool test last August showed C Diff bacterial infection-inflammation of my intestines. Multiple blood tests showed inflammation. After getting rid of the C Diff infection which took 3 months of 4 rounds of antibiotics I'm still suffering daily throughout my abdomen. All across my ribs and down my right side throughout the middle. I've had two additional surgeries. Appendix removal in 2010, C-section in 1999, then gall bladder Feb 2015.
My Dr. told me after all the tests I've been run through, they have run out of ideas for helping me. I'm so miserable still, something is wrong. I started feeling I was being considered a hypochondriac or something just complaining. The truth is I've been through so much with medical Drs. And hospital ER Drs. That I'm not very trusting of them anymore. I've gotten no where with them helping me find relief from constant pain and misery in regards to all my inflammation.
I also have been dealing with nerves and nerve pain for 6 months on top of this. I have got carpel tunnel too. Was put on medicine for anxiety and depression and I don't like the side affects of the medicine I have no genetics for anxiety or depression. As you can see I'm very very frustrated and don't know where to find my relief. I'm a Mother to five children and am not able to function properly and of course don't like to lay down in bed from pain and misery during the day and suffer through making dinner etc. For my family. I try hard to not show how I feel to my children and my husband has a stack of Dr/hospital bills to pay and I'm still needed answers for relief.
I don't sleep well. My joints started hurting. I feel stiffened when I walk. I feel like my abdomen is swollen and it protrudes. This is all due to lots of inflammation, and Drs have no answers for me since finding nothing with all the tests. I have zero energy. I'm suffering day and night with my ribs and abdomen. I often cry from frustration. My husband will go to any length to get me better. Please reconsider if you can possibly give me any relief at all. I need some relief to at least function a little more than I'm able to now. I love my life and want to enjoy it with out all the suffering I'm going through at this time.
Thank you so much for your time and concern in reading my emails :)"
Firstly, make absolutely sure you read all my posts on FMT. Next, read everything I have that's filed under INFLAMMATION. You need to understand GASTRITIS as well. Unfortunately, I do not think your pain is the result of FASCIAL ADHESIONS, which are what people come to see me for from long distances. Although it is not out of the realm of possibility, I would be surprised if I can make a dramatic difference in your condition [Jane was largely wondering about her RIB PAIN]. You are going to have to do much of this yourself (and probably find a doctor in your area doing FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE). HERE is why.
I am pulling for you Jane. I am just not convinced that your problem is something I can help you with in my clinic. However, the information I am giving you will help you help yourself --- particularly the material on FMT.
MY GOAL IS ALWAYS TO SEE YOU OUT THE DOOR WITH A GOLD BRICK IN YOUR HANDS
I also saw a man (Wed) who had been dealing with low back pain since eighth grade and NECK PAIN & HEADACHES for the past three years (as you might imagine, he had received a ton of chiro care and THERAPY both). After discussing his history and examining him, I did Scar Tissue Remodeling on his neck (a lot) and his low back (just a bit), adjusted him, and gave him THIS INFORMATION for his low back, and THIS INFORMATION for his neck and CHRONICALLY TRIGGERED trapezius muscles. The difference was immediate and it was huge. Sure, he will probably need to see me a couple more times. But there's no rush. I told him to call me when his neck, to which we completely normalized his RANGES OF MOTION, starts feeling tight again (Yes, I sent him out with a DAKOTA TRACTION DEVICE so he could get rolling on PHASE II).
Simple. Easy. Inexpensive. The promise to treat you like I would treat my own family. PUTTING A GOLD BRICK IN YOUR HANDS. It's a pretty good combination. If you are interested in looking at a few of the hundreds of testimonials on our site, HERE is the place to go. If you are wondering what it might take to solve your particular problem(s), look no farther. The first of the year is always a great time to TURN OVER A NEW LEAF.