THE TRUTH ABOUT MUSCLE RELAXERS
Muscle Relaxers --- particularly Carisoprodol (Soma, Soprodal or Vanadom) --- have not only been shown to be extremely addictive, but a study from November of 2011 by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), showed that the incidence of ER visits doubled in the five year period studied (2004 - 2009). But this does not even begin to touch on the issue of side effects of Muscle Relaxers --- particularly the drugs from the Diazapam family (VALIUM). The side effects reported in the peer-reviewed scientific literature include....
- SEDATION / LETHARGY / FATIGUE / DROWSINESS / LOSS OF COORDINATION / FAINTING: This is why people are advised not to drive or operate machinery while on these drugs
- PARALYSIS: This is sedation taken to the max
- HEADACHES: HEADACHES are common, and often have causes that can be solved, removing the reason people often take these drugs in the first place.
- IRREGULAR HEARTBEAT / HEART FAILURE / RESPIRATORY FAILURE: Never a good thing.
- CONSTIPATION / DIFFICULTY WITH URINATION: By the way, most hardcore PAIN MEDS cause CONSTIPATION as well.
- DRY MOUTH: A common neurological side effect of numerous drugs.
- TOXICITY / JAUNDICE: Most drugs are cleared by your liver. Put your liver on overload with too many drugs or too much alcohol, and you will have problems.
- LIGHTHEADEDNESS / CONFUSION / BLURRED VISION: Another reason you should not drive or operate machinery while on these drugs.
- CONFUSION / IRRITABILITY / NERVOUSNESS / HALLUCINATIONS / MOOD CHANGES / COGNITIVE CHANGES: Same as above.
- ALLERGIC REACTIONS: Hives, Itching, Rashes, Swelling, etc.
- ABDOMINAL PAIN / NAUSEA / VOMITING / LACK OF APPETITE: More common side effects of numerous different drugs.
Truthfully, I could go on and on and on. What do I recommend for Muscle Spasms? We use a product in our office called Formula 303. Over the years, I have tried numerous other similar products, and patients always tell me that 303 works better. As always, if you deal with underlying INFLAMMATION, chiefly by eating an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET, you will likely help your cause as well. Be aware that most of the time there is some underlying mechanical reason for Muscle Spasms. Whether the problem is ADHESED FASCIA, TENDINOSIS, SUBLUXATION, ABNORMAL POSTURE, or an ABNORMAL CERVICAL CURVE, (or a combination of several of these) deal with it. Otherwise, when you take the Muscle Relaxers, you are covering symptoms without addressing the underlying cause of those symptoms.