DISEASE, HEALING, WELLNESS, AND FITNESS
THE CHOICE IS ALL YOURS
Playing the blame game is the easy way out. Especially when it comes to health. But blaming things other than yourself never gets to the root causes of why you are unhealthy in the first place. And it certainly never changes things for the better. In order to change things, you have to have the will to change, as well as the knowledge to know how to change. Knowledge is power. Let me help motivate and empower you to change your life.
What is disease? When broken down to its simplest components, all sickness and disease is really just one thing. It is some form of abnormal cellular function. There are essentially two reasons that cells malfunction. On one hand, the body can have too much of something (Excess). On the other hand, it might have too little of something (Insufficiency). These excesses and insufficiencies could pertain to just about anything, and either one can lead to abnormal cellular function. What are the pathways that lead us to insufficiency or excess, eventually causing abnormal cellular function (sickness & disease)? Follow along while I show you.
There is such a chasm between the medical research community and the treating physicians who see patients on a day-in-day-out basis, that since they cannot see each other (the Grand Canyon is 18 miles across at its widest part), they often practice as though the other group does not exist (HERE). The facts about why people get sick in the first place, what it takes to get healthy, and what it takes to actually stay healthy, are frequently ignored. How else do you explain the medical community's continued ignorance concerning some of these pathways. Let's briefly look at them.
- NUTRITIONAL: This is big. Although everyone learns from the time they are a first grader, "You are what you eat," the medical community seems to be the last to catch on. If you have not yet figured out that nutrition is intimately linked to health and cellular function (or dysfunction), you are probably sick. I have all sorts of blog posts on this topic, ranging from GLUTEN, to PALEO EATING, to WHOLE FOOD NUTRITION, to CONTROLLING BLOOD SUGAR & DIABETES NATURALLY, to TRANS FATS, to GUT HEALTH, and a host of others. Why does the medical community continue to largely ignore nutrition? Easy. Firstly, they know very little about it (HERE), and secondly; compared to drugs, there's is no real money in it (HERE).
- CHEMICAL: This one is easy to figure out. Excesses of certain kinds of chemicals creates toxicity. Not enough of certain kinds of chemicals and you have a deficiency. Either one can destroy your health, or even be the difference between life or death. Our medical community understands this. In fact, they understand it almost too well. Because they see the "Chemical Group" as by far the biggest of the five groups, it is how they attack most diseases. You already understand this. Doctor's first line of treatment for almost any given health problem is to give people chemicals in the form of drugs. Does this work? Certainly it does ---- sometimes. And it certainly works if you are a Pharmaceutical Company. But all too often, looking at all health problems chemically is essentially covering symptoms without addressing underlying causes. Then again, if a carpenter only carries around different sizes of hammers in his tool box, everything starts to look like a nail. Bear in mind that both the Nutritional and Chemical categories are capable of causing and driving LEAKY GUT SYNDROME.
- MECHANICAL / ELECTRICAL: This is where I spend the majority of my practice life. Many people have deficiencies in joint motion and / or nerve function. Whether their problem was the result of a SPORTS INJURY, a CAR CRASH, SCAR TISSUE, SUBLUXATION, or any number of others, they frequently end up with mechanical problems that can ultimately lead to a whole host of CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES. All too frequently, the end result is potentially debilitating problems such as DEGENERATION and all sorts of disease processes. This category would also cover things like too little or too much exercise, posture, as well as a host of others. It is very important to be aware that the body's Electrical System is intimately linked to its mechanical system (musculoskeletal system). The BRAIN controls every function of the body via a unique wiring system we call the nervous system (nerves, neurotransmitters, etc). Nerve interference causes untold amounts of sickness, disease, and health problems (HERE is a crazy example of this).
- MENTAL: If you are not aware of the mind - body connection in health and disease, you may need to take a bit of time and research this topic. This can be almost anything from stress to DEPRESSION, to worry, to any number of others. Science has told us that the mind-body relationship is a major factor in as much of 70% of all disease processes. We also know that things like TV and lack of exercise rot your mental capacity as well.
- GENETIC: This is one that despite having billions of dollars thrown at it, is proving to be less and less important all the time. Much of this has to do with the field of epigenetics (first link in the post). EPIGENETICS is a rapidly expanding field within genetics saying that genes do not matter nearly as much as we have been led to believe. The real question we need to find out is whether a specific gene has been turned on or not. What turns genes on and allows them to express ill health? Although it can be a variety of different things, they are usually the same things that we associate with an unhealthy lifestyle.
I could have included another category and called it something like "Germs". The truth of the matter is that germs can cause disease. But they also maintain health. In the same way that genes get too much credit for sickness and disease, bacteria and viruses likewise get too much credit as well. Taking a cue from FDR's "New Deal", in the 1960's LBJ created his "Great Society". He declared war on poverty, ignorance, and yes, disease. How has that worked out? Just look around you. We have more stupidity (particularly in Washington), more people sponging off the American taxpayer, and more people struggling with CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES than at any time in the history of our country. Despite the explosion of technology (as well as UNCONTROLLED MEDICAL SPENDING), "MEDICINE" has not panned out like it was supposed to. And simply giving people ANTIBIOTICS and huge numbers of VACCINATIONS has proved to be a double-edged sword that is permanently destroying the health of as many people as they save. What is the answer? How about following the advice of the inventor of the light bulb.
The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patient in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease. Thomas Edison. Taken from "Wizard Edison" from the January 2, 1903 edition of The Newark Advocate.
WHAT ARE THE BEST WAYS TO GET HEALTHY AND STAY HEALTHY?
- CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR: In case you have not heard, almost every conceivable health problem you can imagine is being tied back to uncontrolled blood sugar. If you want any hope of getting sickness and disease under control and getting healthier, you have to grasp this. Read the links under the "Nutritional" section above. Or you could look at THIS.
- SENSIBLE EXERCISE: Far too many people are falling into one of two camps. They are either failing to do any meaningful exercise at all. Or they are doing too much --- particularly too much of the wrong things. Just last week I saw a woman who wondered why all of a sudden she was having problems. For starters, she was walking 2.5 hours a day. If you want to learn more about the best and smartest way to exercise, HERE are the posts.
- EATING WHOLE FOODS: Most of this is common sense. Avoid SYNTHETIC NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS and eat an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET.
- HAVING PERIODIC CHIROPRACTIC CARE: Once you realize that "Mechanical / Electrical" is one of the five pathways to ending up with Cellular Dysfunction (sickness & disease), you should start to see how important taking care of your "frame" is (not my words, but the words of Thomas Edison). A proper functioning musculoskeletal system translates into a better functioning nervous system.
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD SENSITIVITIES: This could be any number of things, including GLUTEN CROSS REACTORS.
- GETTING OUTDOORS AND DIRTY ON A REGULAR BASIS: Have you seen the latest research on this? Most of us are way too clean. We need bacteria, and lots of them! HERE is the link.
- MANAGING YOUR GUT: This is huge. Depression, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, Parasites, and numerous other disease processes are being linked back to poor GUT HEALTH. In fact, there is not a health problem on the planet that does not to some degree have its roots in Gut Health.
- AVOIDING DRUGS: Prescription and non-prescription drugs, along with surgical errors, are the number one cause of death in America --- ahead of things like Cancer, Diabetes, and Heart Disease. And it's not even close. And one more time for those not paying attention, Antibiotics are one of the single biggest destroyers of health on the planet. Drugs do not help you get healthy or stay healthy. According to some of the latest research (HERE), they allow you to live longer, in misery.
- LIMIT SCREEN TIME: Many people have little choice in this matter because they spend their day on a computer. However, limit TV time. It is mindless drivel which, like I said earlier, will rot both your body and your brain.
- UNDERSTAND INFLAMMATION: If you do not really understand what INFLAMMATION is, you will find it difficult to grasp why you are doing some of these things. Control inflammation and you are much more likely to control your health.
- GIVE IT SOME TIME: Remember; Rome was not built in a day. Do not expect overnite results.