STILL TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT WITH DIET SODA IN 2018?
"The dog ate my oatmeal." I actually had a patient tell me this years ago. They were complaining that they had not been eating 'healthy' because their dog had gotten into the cabinet where the oatmeal was kept and had a feast.
I HAVE TO LOSE WEIGHT SO I CAN GET HEALTHY: This is exactly backwards from reality. The truth is, you'll never lose weight and keep it off without getting healthy first. HERE is one example of dozens. There will be many more as we weave our way through the list.
SINCE I'M NORMAL WEIGHT, I CAN EAT WHATEVER I WANT: This is a huge problem today (no pun intended), and is continually propagated by women's magazines that run article after article on exactly how much further you'll have to run to burn off those brownies that you indulged in last night. To see just how "off" this way of thinking is, you need to realize that between 7 and 10% of our population is SKINNY FAT. If you're not sure what this means, just click the link.
- THIS IS MY "NORMAL" WEIGHT: We can all play Clintonesque games with word definitions. In the same way that "skinny" people can be Metabolically Obese, people who look overweight on a BMI CHART can be quite healthy. Be aware however, that this group of people typically consists of trained athletes --- particularly people who lift weights or engage in some sort of resistance training. This point goes along with the next point.
- I KNOW I AM OVERWEIGHT, BUT MY HEALTH IS GOOD: I knew a relatively young person who was probably 100 to 150 pounds overweight. In fact, under anyone's definition, they would have been considered "grossly" or "morbidly" obese. During a discussion several years ago, this person claimed that their doctor told them they were as healthy as a proverbial horse at their last checkup. Do not try to fool yourself like this (HERE). Take a selfie in your underwear. Pictures lie even less than mirrors.
- I CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT BECAUSE I CAN'T EXERCISE: As one who deals with a wide variety of musculoskeletal problems, I hear this one every single day. "Doc, I just keep gaining weight because I've got this ____________ (insert your body part of choice here) problem that just won't let me exercise". Hooey. Weight loss is at least 80% diet. Eat the RIGHT FOODS, and you will require very little exercise to help you get to and maintain your ideal weight. In fact, this is probably a good time to mention that too much exercise or the wrong kind of exercise (HERE), can actually wreck your ADRENAL SYSTEM, making it difficult or impossible to lose weight. This brings me to my next point.
- I CAN'T GET OUT AND EXERCISE BECAUSE: Answer this one by inserting your own excuse here ( _______ ). It could be that the weather is too bad to leave the house. Or that you don't have any equipment. Or that you don't have a gym close enough to your home. Or that you don't have enough time or money. There are a million excuses, and I've heard them all. HERE are some simple things you can do at home with an exercise ball and some hand weights or a simple homemade KETTLEBELL. But you don't even need that. Pushups, pullups, PLANKS, burpees, or any number of other "body weight" exercises are all you really need. And if you get with it, you can do what you need to do in 20 minutes, three times a week. That is one hour a week for those of you keeping score at home.
- I EXERCISE LIKE CRAZY AND STILL CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE ANY WEIGHT: There are a whole host of reasons this could be going on. Again, you might be doing the wrong sort of exercise (HERE). You might be exercising in the perfect manner, but eating an unhealthy diet. You might have some sort of underlying functional metabolic problem (ENDOCRINE, THYROID, AUTOIMMUNE, DYSBIOSIS, INFLAMMATORY, GLUTEN SENSITIVITY, DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS, parasites, HEAVY METAL TOXICITY, NEUROLOGICAL, etc, etc, etc). You may not be controlling your blood sugar or insulin levels (HERE, HERE & HERE). If you are doing the right things and not effectively dealing with your weight, it's probably time to find out why.
- I WOULD RATHER JUST TAKE A PILL OR HAVE A SURGERY: Not only is this short sighted, it is dangerous as well. Why aren't there more WEIGHT LOSS MEDICATIONS on the market today? Easy. They're dangerous. Can anyone say Phen Fen? And as for weight loss supplements? There are a million and one of these available for purchase. Few of these were in existence three years ago, and even fewer will still be on the market three years from now. Instead, you'll have a whole new crop of THESE PRODUCTS, making the same outlandish claims, and raking in the dough from gullible and desperate people. And although there are undoubtedly people who can benefit from some sort of WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY, these are more dangerous and less effective (HERE) than you have been led to believe.
- I'VE TRIED EVERY DIET AND NOTHING WORKS: It's all about controlling your blood sugar. HERE is the diet, and HERE is my program for WEIGHT LOSS. Again, if you cannot lose weight in this manner, it's probably because you have an underlying disease or metabolic process going on. Oh; and if you've been "COUNTING CALORIES", you need to listen to Gary Taubes (HERE --- bottom of the page).
- MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT LOW CARB IS DANGEROUS: This is probably the same doctor who told you that eggs cause HIGH CHOLESTEROL, MARGARINE is better than butter, and the whole "Gluten Thing" is just a BIG MYTH. How much nutrition does your doctor really know? Make sure to ask them before blindly following their advice (HERE).
- I'M AN ADDICT: Truthfully, people rarely come right out and tell me this. However, it is usually fairly easy to tell (CLICK HERE to take a simple self-test). By far the most common food people are addicted to is SUGAR. A simple way to spot the addict is to look for what I call "SUSTITUTIONARY BEHAVIOR". Breaking addictions is tough, but can be done. If you know you are addicted to starch, sugar, JUNK FOOD, or even MSG, take a few minutes to read THESE POSTS.
- I DO NOT HAVE THE TIME OR MONEY TO EAT HEALTHY: Phooey. You have time for whatever you deem important. And as for the money issue.... Once you start cutting the junk out of your grocery list, you'll be amazed to find that you have enough money to spend on fruits and vegetables. You can also do something like THIS or THIS (mix them together) if you are truly on the run or constantly traveling.
- MY FAMILY WOULD NEVER EAT THE WAY YOU RECOMMEND: Really? If you are pandering to your child's every desire (particularly when it comes to what they eat), I feel sorry for child when they grow to adulthood. Just keep reminding yourself that you are the parent (HERE). And as for your spouse; if you hope to have them around into old age, changing their diet might be the best thing you've ever done.
- OTHERS: This post could have gone on and on. We all have our struggles. Although I used to be one of those people who could eat anything and not gain an ounce, those days are long gone. Between being sensitive to carbs and Gluten, I rarely let my guard down at meal time. I can't. It is too easy to gain the weight and a lot of hard work to lose it. Figure out what's holding you back from reaching you optimum weight and address it today.
TROUBLE LOSING WEIGHT?
YOUR YO-YO DIETING MAY HAVE FRIED PART OF YOUR BRAIN
"Yo-Yo dieting is really a metabolic disaster. What happens in the human body when cycles of weight loss and weight gain are repeated over and over again as is the case with so many overweight people? Yes, Yo-Yo dieting has negative effects on future weight loss. It can lead to weight gain, not weight loss. Probably 70% or more of individuals struggling to lose weight, are caught up in the destructive cycle of Yo-Yo dieting." Health24, Yo-Yo Dieting = Weight Gain
According to Dr. Louis Aronne, director of the weight loss program at New York's Presbyterian Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical Center, new research is pointing toward neurological damage to the brain caused by continual yo-yo dieting. The part of the brain that seems to be most affected by this phenomenon? The Hypothalamus. In an article for MedPage Today, Dr. Aronne goes on to say that, "The evidence is quite convincing – eating fattening foods causes inflammatory cells to go into the hypothalamus. This overloads the neurons and causes neurological damage". What have I told you time and time again? When it comes to Chronic Sickness and Disease, everything is Inflammation. Learn how to control INFLAMMATION, and you will dominate both your health and your weight ---- instead of them dominating you.
BUT WHAT DOES THE HYPOTHALAMUS DO?
- The Hypothalamus controls eight major Pituitary Hormones
- The Hypothalamus regulates body temperature
- The Hypothalamus regulates sexuality and reproduction
- The Hypothalamus regulates the daily cycles known as the circadian rhythm
- The Hypothalamus mediates emotional response
- The Hypothalamus has strong connections to the part of your brain that regulates your level of motivation or level of 'drive' (HERE)
- The Hypothalamus regulates both hunger and thirst, as well as playing a large part in metabolism
Did you catch this last one? The Hypothalamus plays a critical part in modulating your metabolism as well as your hunger levels. Foul up the Hypothalamus, and watch what happens to your weight.
HERE'S THE COOL THING
FEED IT PROPERLY, AND YOUR HYPOTHALAMUS IS CAPABLE OF REGENERATION
A study (Relationships Between Dietary Macronutrients and Adult Neruogenesis in the Regulation of Energy Metabolism) was published in last February's edition of the British Journal of Nutrition. Neurogenesis is simply the term used to describe the ability of the nerve system and / or brain to regenerate --- something that may be of great use to those of you who have totally fouled up your metabolism via yo-yo dieting. Listen to what researchers from the Department of Obesity and Endocrinology at the Institute of Aging and Chronic Disease, of the University of Liverpool, England have to say about the relationship between Neurogenesis and diet.
Neurogenesis, previously thought to occur only in the embryo, is now known to take place in the adult brain, dependent on numerous stimulating and inhibiting factors, including dietary components. Because of classic associations between neurogenesis and the hippocampus, in learning and cognition, this brain region has also been the focus of attention in the study of links between diet and neurogenesis. Recently, however, a more complete picture of this relationship has been building: not only has the hypothalamus been shown to satisfy the criteria for a neurogenic niche, but appetite-related mediators, including circulating hormones, such as leptin and ghrelin, pro-inflammatory cytokines and the endocannabinoid intracellular messengers, are also being examined for their potential role in mediating neurogenic responses to macronutrients.
SCIENCE OUT OF CONTROL?
THE HCG DIET, WEIGHT LOSS MEDS, WEIGHT LOSS SURGERIES, AND tcMRgFUS
There are a million weight loss gimmicks out there. I recently saw an estimation that by 2015, the global weight loss spending could eclipse $150 billion. Besides the crazy numbers of moronic WEIGHT LOSS SUPPLEMENTS on the market, you have the HCG Diet (Human Chorionc Gonaditrophin --- a hormone of pregnancy used by steroid abusers to jump-start their shriveled testicles into making their own testosterone again after cycling off the roids), Bariatric Surgery (these involve all sorts of renditions of STOMACH STAPLING), a whole host of new WEIGHT LOSS MEDICATIONS, tcMRgFUS (trans-cranial magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound beams aimed at specific parts of your brain for the specific purpose of diminishing hunger signals), along with any number of others. Please not that I am not saying that there is not a time or place for some of these. Nor am I telling you they don't work --- at least for the short term. But let's be honest with each other for a minute. Do any of the things on this list address the underlying causes of obesity or CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY ILLNESS (obesity is part of this class of disease)? Of course not. And we haven't even addressed the issue of side effects yet. So...........
WHAT DOES ALL OF THIS MEAN TO YOU AS FAR AS WEIGHT LOSS IS CONCERNED?
SUGAR OR JUNK ADDICTION
ARE YOU AN ADDICT?
"Available evidence in humans shows that sugar and sweetness can induce reward and craving that are comparable in magnitude to those induced by addictive drugs.... Overall, this research has revealed that sugar and sweet reward can not only substitute to addictive drugs, like cocaine, but can even be more rewarding and attractive. At the neurobiological level, the neural substrates of sugar and sweet reward appear to be more robust than those of cocaine." From the abstract of the July 2013 issue of the medical journal, Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care
Google the term "SUGAR ADDICTION" and you'll get over six million hits (a couple of them might even be articles I wrote on the subject). Even though it is, an addiction; it is one of America's more "acceptable" addictions --- one that people who roll up their nose at drunks or drug addicts can engage in without any significant social scorn from their peers --- it is and addiction nonetheless. How do you know whether you are a sugar addict or not? Although a Sugar Addiction is not usually as blatantly ugly as other addictions are, just give it a little time and it will produce not only the classic psychological signs of the addict, it will also manifest a host of physical symptoms as well --- symptoms that reveal just how serious a problem this really is. Take the simple self-test below.
- TRYING TO HIDE YOUR ADDICTION: Although easy at first, this gets consistently more difficult because of the continual need for more of what you crave. This is the very nature of an addiction. No matter your drug-of-choice, it always takes "more" to experience any feelings of the 'high' (increased pleasure / reduced emotional negativity). Eventually, hiding the addiction becomes impossible.
- SUGAR STASHES: Remember the old TV shows where the town drunk would have partially-drunk whiskey bottles stashed in almost every conceivable place? Many sugar addicts do the same thing.
- EXCUSES / DENIAL: What's amazing is how similar these excuses and denials sound to the excuses and denials made by alcoholics or drug addicts. I personally know a person who became seriously addicted to prescription painkillers after a serious injury. Although the injury had healed and this person could have gotten off the meds, it took an inordinate amount of time and intervention. You should have heard the excuses.
- ANYTHING FOR A FIX: Do you start your day with sugar (HERE)? If you find yourself in bizarre situations trying to get your hands on sugar or carbs, you definitely have a problem. Just like those addicted to hard drugs, the sugar addict will do anything to get their fix. It is the focal point of their lives.
- CONTINUING DESPITE THE PERSISTENT DAMAGE IT IS DOING: As you have seen, this damage can be physical, psychological, or more likely, a combination of the two. Even though a person might realize it is destroying their health and relationships, they choose sugar anyway. It is frequently the single most powerful motivating factor in their life.
- PATHOLOGICAL CRAVINGS / FEAR OF GIVING UP SUGAR: Do you have health or social problems that affect school, work, or relationships because of the need to consume sugar and carbs, yet keep on doing so despite the negative consequences? Do you chase after sugar even though it is causing you physical or emotional pain? Is it the driving force in your life? Near the end of his month-long journey as captured in the documentary Super Size Me, a recently overweight Morgan Spurlock tells his video camera that the only time he feels good about himself now is when he is, "eating this crap". If you are using sugar /carbs to boost your mood (serotonin levels), or can't bear the thought of giving up the stuff (HERE), you probably have a sugar addiction. One more thing; if you feel DEPRESSED at the mere thought of going without sugar, it's a dead give away that you have an addiction.
- PLAYING THE SUBSTITUTION GAME: This could mean that you are substituting sugar substitutes for sugar (HERE). However, it could mean something far more insidious (HERE).
- ISSUES WITH WEIGHT: Although sugar addiction almost always leads to OBESITY, sometimes people think they are getting away with it because they are still skinny. This is simply because some people's over-taxed pancreases take longer to burn out than others. Be aware that even though you might be of a "normal" weight, too much sugar or starch has a tendency to create the SKINNY FAT EFFECT. Once people begin gaining the extra weight, the "FAT BUT FIT" excuse is an old standby.
- OTHER ADDICTIONS: This is particularly true of things like coffee, SMOKES, or alcohol (which itself is metabolized just like sugar). When the pancreas burns out due to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar (see next point) the ADRENAL GLANDS kick in to help the failing pancreas. Most sugar addicts will frequently want things that boost their Adrenal Response (caffeine, nicotine, sugar). Unfortunately, this is not helpful, and is a doorway to a whole host of other problems.
- UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR: Numerous people will tell me that they do not have a problem with blood sugar because they recently had their blood checked and it was normal (HERE). If they are consuming mass quantities of sugar on a regular basis, they are fooling themselves (HERE). Uncontrolled Blood Sugar is the number one health issue facing the American population today --- and it's not even close. The last point in this section will go into more detail.
- YOU ARE TIRED AND SLUGGISH AFTER YOU EAT: If you feel tired or sluggish after meals, you undoubtedly have REACTIVE HYPOGLYCEMIA. This is the BLOOD SUGAR low that comes "reactively" after the high. Low blood sugar and high blood sugar are two sides of the same coin that we call Diabetes.
- YOU HAVE TROUBLE CONCENTRATING: There are numerous studies touting the ill effects of sugar on cognitive function as well as dementia. In fact, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE is now being called Type III Diabetes because its characteristic brain plaques result from Uncontrolled Blood Sugar.
- A COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEM: You are constantly sick (HERE). The problem is, sugar and ANTIBIOTICS are a devastating combination (HERE), that leads to a wide variety of DYSBIOTIC HEALTH ISSUES, including Systemic (blood-borne) Yeast. The yeast itself requires sugar to survive and creates horrendous cravings in its attempt to take over your body. Besides Antibiotics, CORTICOSTEROIDS (a form of Innumo-suppressive drug) create sugar cravings as well.
- DIMINISHED LIBIDO: Whether male or female, if you don't have the desire to have sex, you are likely dealing with a blood sugar issues (HERE and HERE). If you would trade sex for a handful of bon bons, you have a sugar addiction.
- HORMONAL ISSUES --- PARTICULARLY PCOS: Listen to what Dr Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, author of "Beat Sugar Addiction Now" said on the June 10, 2010 episode of ABC's 6:00 news, "hormonal fluctuations in women entering menopause can cause anxiety, depression, and insulin resistance that can also lead to sugar addictions". Although he is correct, this is a chicken 'egg thing, meaning the opposite is true as well. For more on PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome --- the #1 female problem in America today --- go HERE).
- INCREASED ACIDITY: If you are fighting diseases of acidity (although there are many, the two that most immediately come to mind are CANCER and OSTEOPOROSIS), it would not be a stretch to wonder if you have a sugar addiction. Get some litmus paper at the corner drug store and test your pH.
- ALL SICKNESS AND DISEASE: AUTOIMMUNITY, INFLAMMATORY ILLNESS, and almost every single health issue you care to mention (see the bullet point above on Uncontrolled Blood Sugar) have similar starting points. If you would rather ignore this than click on the links, you are likely addicted to sugar / carbs.
HOW TO CONQUER YOUR SUGAR ADDICTION
- STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR HEALTH AND YOUR LIFE ---- ADMIT YOU ARE AN ADDICT AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT: As is the case with all sorts of problems, the first thing you have to do is identify it as such. As long as you stay in denial, nothing will get accomplished.
- LEARN THE MANY WAYS THAT SUGAR HIDES: Simply learn to read food labels. Oh, and be aware that you might even have a GLUTOMORPHIN ADDICTION as well. Even though you have never heard of this, it is far more common (and scary) than imagined.
- DON'T BRING CRAP IN YOUR HOUSE, CAR, OR WORKPLACE: This is a no-brainer folks. If you are stashing junk food in strategic places, you will fail in your endeavor to kick your addiction. You have to stay away from the stuff. Period. Unfortunately, 'church' is all too often a dangerous place for the sugar addict.
- GET YOURSELF AN ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER: Most of us benefit from someone to help hold our fingers to the fire. Although it can be done (HERE), most persons will have a rough go of it when kicking an addiction alone. HERE is how I have gone about this in the past.
- EXERCISE THE RIGHT WAY: Although there about a jillion ways to exercise, if you want the straight scoop on getting the most benefit out of the shortest amount of time, go HERE.
- ABSTAIN FROM SUGAR AND HIGH GLYCEMIC INDEX CARBOHYDRATES: Listen folks. I already know you are going to call me a harsh, hard-hearted SOB for saying this, but truthfully; I don't really care. When we addicts get down to the point where the rubber meets the road, there's only one way to lick an addiction (this is largely true for any addiction). You have to go Cold Turkey! If you will simply eliminate the sugar, carbs, and artificial sweeteners from your life, your cravings will dramatically subside, and eventually go away (usually within a matter of weeks). How has that whole "I'll just cut back a bit" thing been working for you so far? That's right. It doesn't. In fact, it constantly re-starts and feeds your cravings. If you are addicted to narcotics or alcohol you can’t simply just 'cut down' a bit. By cutting out all forms of sugar (starch, bread, pasta, OJ, fruit --- yeah, for many people fruit is one of those "substitutions" we dealt with earlier ---- artificial sweeteners, and almost anything that is processed), you actually allow your brain's chemistry to recalibrate itself. If you think you can 'dabble' with sugar / carbs and still kick the habit, you are fooling yourself.
- CHANGE YOUR DIET AND CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR BY EATING SMALL PROTEIN-BASED MEALS MORE OFTEN: For Pete's sake; it's practically 2014. Can we get over the FEAR OF DIETARY FAT thing already? Follow the advice on this bullet point and watch your cravings fly out the window. And as far as what sort of diet you need to be eating? You must do something that controls blood sugar! Although there are a ton of these out there, I recommend PALEO for the reasons listed in the posts you will find if you click on the link.
- START YOUR DAY THE RIGHT WAY: We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Start living it (HERE)!
- USE A GREENS PRODUCT: There are many of these out there. We use THIS ONE . Not necessarily because it's the best product on the market, but because it is a good product that does not taste like pond scum. These products are valuable for helping solve sugar / carb cravings, while providing some solid nutrition in the process.
- DON'T BE AFRAID TO EAT BIG: When FRED & DIANE HARMON recently returned to our home, she treated us all to an authentic, home-cooked, multi-course, Thai meal. It involved fresh ingredients, freshly ground herbs and spices (yes, she brought her own mortar and pestle), some lean meat, and copious amounts of fresh vegetables. You could literally gorge yourself on foods like this at every meal --- and still LOSE WEIGHT. Until you resolve the calorie myth, you will have problems dealing with sugar / carb addictions.
- NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS: This is where everyone wants to go first. Hey, it's the way our medically-propagandized brains work. It also happens to one of the biggest FAILED PROMISES of modern medicine. However, there is one supplement I recommend for helping you successfully accomplishing this endeavor. PGFO. Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil (not the junk from Mal Wart or the health food store) is excellent for helping with DEPRESSION, ADHD / ANXIETY, INFLAMMATION, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, symptoms of SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE, FIBROMYALGIA, UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR, AUTOIMMUNITY, as well as most ENDOCRINE and HORMONAL ISSUES. But please listen to me for a moment. As well as various supplements can work for some people, there is no substitute for a good diet. Read and follow the Paleo Posts above, and you will succeed in your quest to kick the sugar habit!
GARY TAUBES: GOOD CALORIES / BAD CALORIES, & WHY WE GET FAT
YAHOO RUNS STORY TOUTING RUNNING
AS THE BEST WAY METHOD OF WEIGHT LOSS
I used to run and now I'm on a long list for knee replacement. A comment to the below Yahoo article by someone calling them self AllisVanity.
The article starts out by saying that, "Any exercise is good exercise, but when it comes to losing weight, it's hard to beat running. After all, running is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories and get fit without having to restrict your diet." This entire statement is false. The truth is, there is a great deal of exercise that is not good. For example, although we have far too many folks here in America who are sedentary, there is also a large number of regular exercisers who are -- believe it or not -- overdoing it (the technical word for this is 'over-training'). Furthermore, the reason you workout is NEVER so that you can, "get fit without having to restrict your diet". If you are EATING PROPERLY, there are always things that should you should be restricting from your diet --- no matter what your weight is. We could start with SUGAR, JUNK FOOD, and TRANS FATS, and move from there to things like MSG, and ASPARTAME). I want you to understand that both diet and the kind / amount of exercise you do are critical for WEIGHT LOSS. Today, I am specifically going to show you that when it comes to the STRENGTH TRAINING -vs- CARDIO debate, Strength Training is a runaway winner.
Yahoo says that, "running works even when you're at rest". They then go on to tell you that running burns more calories at rest (after you have exercised) than does walking. I will buy this, but be aware that you are not being told the whole truth. Sprints are better than running for weight loss, and guess what is even better than sprints? That's right ---- Strength Training. And it's not even close. Runners increase their metabolism for about four hours post-workout. That goes up to well over 30 hours for those who engage in Resistance Training. Case in point (HERE). You can also click on the last link in the previous paragraph for more information on the subject.
The next point that Yahoo wants you to swallow is that, "running is time efficient". This begs the question of exactly what running is more time efficient than? Again, they compare it to walking. This is certainly true, as you will undoubtedly burn more calories running a mile than walking a mile. They also compare it to "The 7 Minute Workout". When it comes to working out, the scientific literature on the subject says that High Intensity / Short Duration is best. But 7 minutes? That might be a wee bit short. The secret to using your workout to lose weight is not the number of calories you are burning while you are working out ---- it is the number of calories you burn at rest (the amount by which you are able to increase your metabolism). For a review of this, please re-read the preceding paragraph.
The third on their list is, "running is convenient". I can buy this. According to the article, running is double convenient because you don't even need shoes (they tout barefoot running). However, is it really more 'convenient' to run than to do simple workouts like THIS? I say not! Click on the link because it defeats one of those old WORKOUT MYTHS I recently dealt with ---- you don't have to go to the gym to get a good workout.
And as for their last point, "the runner's high", are we to believe that running is the only form of exercise that releases "endorphins and morphine-like brain chemicals"? Not on your life! In fact, the authors themselves answer this question by saying that the link to the "runner's high" is not specifically with running, but with any form of, "moderate to intense exercise". All four of their points are busted!
The thing is, look at the source. The article originally appeared in Runner's World, and was actually written by their editors. This is not science. It is feel-good fluffiness. If you want more articles on this topic, you will find them HERE. Oh, and one more thing. For those of you who absolutely love to run --- great. I don't have a problem with it. Just make sure you don't go overboard, and add some simple Strength Training to your regimen. All it takes is 15-20 minutes, two or three times per week.
BUSTING THE FITNESS MYTHS
BUYING INTO THESE FITNESS MYTHS WILL DOOM YOU TO FAILURE
But, if you have been reading my blog and are motivated to start making some changes in your life; you could wait until January 1st to do it --- but why? Now is as good a time as any to get started (yes, even those of you who are currently deployed on your annual "HOLIDAY BINGE").
I want you to be successful at this endeavor. But in order for this to happen, you will have to shed some "myths" before you can hope to shed any pounds. While I was sitting watching it snow and ice all day Friday, I created a list of "Fitness / Weight Loss Myths" --- many of which I used to believe myself. Take a few minutes to read these myths as well as their solutions (you'll have to stick around to the bottom of the post for some of these solutions). It's time to stop sabotaging both your health and your workouts! These are in no particular order, coming up as I thought of them. Enjoy, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
- CARDIO IS BETTER THAN STRENGTH FOR WEIGHT LOSS: This is a myth that refuses to die (HERE). No matter how you slice it, this one is false. Really false. Sprints are better for weight loss than long distance running (HERE), and Strength Training is better than sprints. And the thing is, it's not even close. Take just a few minutes to look at the research on the topic for yourself. I feel that this issue is important enough to have written several BLOG POSTS on it. If you like to run, fine ---- but don't get too crazy with it. And make absolutely sure to incorporate interval (sprint) training and Strength Training into your regimen.
- IF I CAN DO ENOUGH SITUPS, IT WILL GET RID OF MY BELLY: Although this is false, it is almost as widely believed as it was when I was in college. By the way, you really shouldn't be doing situps at all --- ever (HERE). Instead, visit THIS PAGE to learn more about the best ways to go about core strengthening. The only way you are ever going to lose the belly fat is to stop eating the foods you already know you shouldn't be eating (and maybe some that you erroneously believe to be healthy). The diet I recommend is found at the bottom of the page.
- I SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GET IN SHAPE: This one is probably true --- if you are doing P90-X or one of the similar programs. Or spending so much time driving to the gym every nite that you are falling asleep on the way home. I am not against either video programs or working out in a gym. But let's be brutally honest with each other for just a moment. Who has the time to work out for an hour to an hour and a half a day ---- especially if you work and / or have a family? The key to working out is "Shorter Duration / Higher Intensity". Stop slogging through your workout, shorten it up significantly, and ratchet up the intensity level. Short, high intensity workouts are one of the beauties of Crossfit and numerous other similar programs. It all goes back to the old adage of MED.
- TROUBLE LOSING WEIGHT? JUST WORK OUT HARDER: A while ago, I had a woman ask me if she should start walking 15 miles a day, since at 12 miles, she had plateaued as far as weight loss was concerned. She was making a big mistake with this way of thinking. The real problem with this approach is the fact that it can lead to weight gain instead of loss by BURNING OUT YOUR ADRENAL GLANDS.
- YOU SHOULD BE TOTALLY EXHAUSTED AFTER A WORKOUT: This sort of goes along with the "No Pain / No Gain" myth that I am not even going to bother to mention today. I debunked this myth in the RHABDO POST from a few months ago.
- YOU SHOULD BE CARB-LOADING AFTER EXERCISE: This is old-school long-distance running kind of stuff. Eating an apple or something similar is great after you workout. If you want to understand why I am not a huge fan of 1980's-like carb-loading, go HERE ---- or just continue on to the next two points.
- VEGETARIAN / VEGAN DIETS ARE GREAT FOR WEIGHT LOSS: This is a great point of contention, even among those who would consider themselves "experts" in the field (HERE is a person saying it's OK as long as you have great Gut Health). Although I am a big fan of eating lots and lots of vegetables / vegetation, I also believe that in the majority of the cases, your results will be compromised without adequate dietary protein (HERE). Oh, and by the way, grain is not considered vegetation (see next bullet). When you feed a beef grass and hay, they get lean. When you feed a beef grain, they gain weight --- rapidly! This does not even take into account the whole GLUTEN thing, which tends to fool people because 60% of the time, their symptoms manifest differently than anyone (medical doctors included) expects --- far differently (HERE).
- SEX IS A GREAT WEIGHT LOSS WORKOUT: As much as I would love to tell you that this one is not only true, but double-dog true; I can't. Although there are a slew of undeniable health benefits to sex, the truth is, sex burns about as many calories per minute as (gulp) walking. And lasts on average (gulp) about 6 minutes. Whether male or female, if you feel like this part of your life is lacking, you may to take a moment and at least scan through the dozen or so posts I've written on this topic (HERE).
- WORKING OUT MAKES YOU HUNGRY: False, false, and false! Sitting around on your duff and watching TV makes you hungry --- for junk! And let's face it, the more junk you eat, the more junk you want ---- IT'S ADDICTIVE! Exercise is probably the greatest natural appetite suppressant there is. Not to mention, as you start to see the changes in your body that your lifestyle modification program is making, it will motivate you that much more stay on the wagon.
- DIET SODA IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO REGULAR SODA IN THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE: Again, false. This one is soooooo false that just the opposite is true. Diet soda will actually make you gain weight (HERE).
- IF I WORK OUT HARD ENOUGH, I CAN CHEAT MY DIET AND STILL LOSE WEIGHT: Way too many people believe this is true --- I used to believe it myself. The reality of the situation is that you can't work out hard enough to overcome a crappy diet. And if you think you are getting away with said diet today, give it a few years. As you BURN YOUR BRAIN and SUGAR REGULATIONS SYSTEMS out, the downhill slide will be brutal and it will be rapid. Case in point, attend a class reunion.
- GETTING IN SHAPE WILL AUTOMATICALLY MAKE ME LOSE WEIGHT: This is not necessarily true --- particularly if you have some sort of underlying CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY ILLNESS, HORMONAL DYSFUNCTION, or ENDOCRINE OR GUT ISSUE. Losing weight might also might not happen if you have a relatively small amount of weight you want to lose. Allow me to explain. Because equal amounts of muscle weigh much more than the same amount of fat, as you get rid of the fat and build muscle, you might actually gain some weight. No big deal. The more muscle mass you carry, the more likely you are to appear "fat" on a BMI CHART, when the reality is just the opposite.
- AS A FEMALE, WON'T I GET BIG AND BULKY IF I LIFT WEIGHTS? Seriously, this is the last thing on the planet that the average woman should be concerned about when it comes to Strength Training. It's difficult enough for a man to get big and bulky from lifting weights --- with about 20 times the amount of testosterone in their body (the male hormone that drives libido in both sexes and builds muscles). No form of exercise will make dramatic changes to the female physique faster than Strength Training. Period --- end of story! But big and bulky.....? No worries. Trust me women; start a SIMPLE STRENGTH TRAINING program (2-3 times a week for 15 minutes or so per session) and watch what happens. You will see more results in six weeks than you would see with a year of jogging.
- ANKLE WEIGHTS ARE A GREAT WAY TO STRENGTHEN YOUR LEGS: Only if you want the experience of blowing out your knees and roaching your low back. Instead, get a weighted vest. This will not only protect your extremities, it will help you ladies protect yourselves from OSTEOPOROSIS as well --- particularly those who like to walk for exercise.
- DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS AUTOMATICALLY GUARANTEES ME SUCCESS AT WEIGHT LOSS: Again, if you have Chronic Illnesses, all bets are off the board. If you fail to deal with the underlying problem first, weight loss will be all but impossible (HERE and HERE are examples of this). By the way, Kettlebells (right) are an amazing weight loss tool. See the next point.
- LOSING WEIGHT RAPIDLY IS NOT ONLY BAD FOR YOU, IT'S JUST ABOUT IMPOSSIBLE: This one is tricky. However, if you do things the right way, it is very possible, and science is actually coming around to this fact (HERE). For instance, HERE is the amazing story of Tracy Reifkind's legitimate hundred pound weight loss in 100 days doing one of my all time favorite exercises a couple times a week --- KETTLEBELL SWINGS.
- I CAN'T GET FIT SINCE I CAN'T AFFORD A GYM MEMBERSHIP: I only thought I had heard everything! It takes little or no equipment to get good workouts (HERE is an interesting page on building your own gym equipment). If you don't want to go that route, you could do like JACK LaLANE did for TV and do all your workouts with nothing but a chair. Gym memberships are great, but not being able to afford one is not a valid excuse for not working out. Go online and search. You will find hundreds of simple exercises you can do in your home without any equipment whatsoever. HERE is a page for those who want to start Strength Training at home with minimal equipment (an exercise ball and cheap set of dumbells).
- WOMEN SHOULD WORKOUT DIFFERENTLY THAN THEIR MALE COUNTERPARTS: Really? Women need to engage in Strength Training ---- probably just as much or more than men. Unfortunately, far too many are spinning their wheels doing too much cardio (and eating way too many Whole Grains). Read CARDIO -VS- STRENGTH to understand why this is true.
- THERE IS ONE PROGRAM THAT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE: Not true.
- AVOID SALT AT ALL COSTS: THIS ONE could have been stuck in among those old standbys in the bullet point below.
- DIETARY FAT MAKES YOU FAT: Could we pleeeaaase get past this one once and for all? This is a myth; pure, plain, and simple (HERE). Like I told you earlier, THIS is what makes you fat. All of this reminds me of the old days ---- you know, when you heard things like, "eggs are bad for you" or "butter is bad for you, eat margarine instead", etc, etc, etc.
- WORKOUTS HAVE TO BE BORING: Where do I start with this one? Check out the Swing Boarding on the left. If you can't find a combination of workouts that are at the very least, tolerable; you are simply looking for excuses not to train.
- WE NEED "CHEAT DAYS" TO LOSE WEIGHT: Really? While CHEAT DAYS can be great for some people, for hardcore sugar and carb addicts, they will throw you into a tailspin every time, rekindling the very cravings that you are trying to get rid of.
- FRUITS AND VEGETABLES ARE THE SAME: If you are really struggling with your weight, you may need to lay off the fruit for awhile --- particularly the fruit that's high on a Glycemic Index. Fruit has the propensity to raise blood sugar far more than vegetables (HERE). This, as you will learn from the following link, causes weight gain. Particularly true in people who are INSULIN RESISTANT / PRE-DIABETIC.
- SOY IS A GREAT FORM OF PROTEIN: Soy is a plant-based (phyto) estrogen. Google "Estrogen Dominance" and you'll see how big of a problem this is for both women and men. If you want to read about the effects of putting excess estrogen in your body, go HERE.
- SPORTS DRINKS ARE HEALTHY: Healthy? Sure; that's how they're marketed. But healthy? I should say not. Most are the SUGAR equivalent of drinking soda --- a known dehydrator. By the way, the same thing could be said of most FRUIT JUICES as well.
- THERE'S THIS NEW SUPPLEMENT THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BURN FAT LIKE A STEEL-MELTING BLAST FURNACE: There's a sucker born every minute. Don't be one of them. The only shortcuts to weight loss and fitness involve ridding your body of excess inflammation. What does that look like? Try THIS on for size!
- BREAKFAST IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY: While I used to think this way, and still believe that for some people it's true, I've definitely changed the way I think about this topic because of what's come out in recent peer review (HERE).
WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY
IS IT WORTH IT?
An annual $190 billion is spent on obesity-related medical costs, according to a Reuters report, citing data from the Mayo Clinic. There are even obesity-associated costs to the overall economy. The report says job absenteeism among the obese is higher, airlines need an extra $5 billion in jet fuel to fly heavy passengers compared to 1960 weight data, and we spend an additional $4 billion annually on extra gas for heavy passengers and drivers. Bruce Kennedy from MSN's MONEY "Is weight-loss surgery worth the cost?" (Feb 25, 2013).
A popular online encyclopedia defines it thusly, "A variety of procedures performed on people who are obese. Weight loss is achieved by reducing the size of the stomach with a gastric band or through removal of a portion of the stomach or by resecting and re-routing the small intestines to a small stomach pouch." Although it varies for different procedures, the cost for Bariatric Surgery runs between $15,000 and $45,000.
What do the studies say about surgical weight loss? Although several recent studies of Bariatric Surgery (a couple from just last week) show health benefits that could only be described as "astounding", we might not be getting the whole story. And as is all too often the case, the story we are getting might be bought and paid for.
Research suggests that over several years, many bariatric patients regain some of the weight they lose in the first two years -- a fact that has raised doubts about the cost-effectiveness of the surgery, which can cost $20,000 to $25,000 for the initial procedure, plus a wide range of costs to treat complications after surgery. Melissa Healy from a November 13, 2013 article in the "Science Now" portion of the LA Times.
"In contrast, the surgical group lost almost one-third of their lean body mass [muscle mass]. This is kind of a dirty secret that's not very well advertised for bariatric surgery, that you can lose a lot of lean mass and I don't think we fully understand the long-term consequences of that." Dr. David Cummings being quoted by Nancy Walsh in Tuesday's issue of MedPage Today concerning whether a "Diabetes Cure" via surgery is more effective than by medication.
Complications from weight loss surgery are frequent. A study of insurance claims of 2522 who had undergone bariatric surgery showed 22% complications during the initial hospital stay and a total of 40% risk of complications in the subsequent six months. This was more common in those over 40 and led to an increased health care expenditure..... Nutritional derangements due to deficiencies of micronutrients like iron, vitamin B12, fat soluble vitamins (A, E, D, & K), thiamine, and folate are especially common after malabsorptive bariatric procedures...... A study in Veterans Affairs (VA) patients has found no survival benefit associated with bariatric surgery among older, severely obese people when compared with usual care, at least out to seven years. Wikipedia
The point is, although everyone seems to be singing the praises of of Bariatric Surgery these days, it's not all peaches and cream. Just visit some of the weight loss surgery message boards. Although most people will still say, "I've tried everything and nothing works --- it's time for the surgery", this is rarely the case. As a last resort, see a doctor who specializes in "FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE". Lastly; can we really trust the research? As you should have noticed from my post THE OTHER DAY, I have serious doubts.
One of the latest studies (presented recently at Atlanta during the "Obesity Week" meetings) touting the benefits of Bariatric Surgery was headed by Dr. Cummings, who just happens to be on the payroll (he "received the financial support") of Johnson & Johnson ---- the maker of the "Realize" gastric band. The meetings themselves were sponsored by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery --- an organization whose mission statement reads, "The purpose of the society is to advance the art and science of metabolic and bariatric surgery by continually improving the quality and safety of care and treatment of people with obesity and related diseases".
WHAT DO I RECOMMEND FOR LOSING WEIGHT?
BRAND NEW MEDICAL GUIDELINES
FOR TREATING OBESITY
As BMI increases, the risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer all go up. Donna Ryan, MD, co-chair of the Guideline Committee for Cholesterol and Weight Control by the AHA, ACC, and Obesity Society
Approximately 37% of male doctors reported being overweight, with 5.3% being obese. This was very similar to a 2004 study that found 38% of male physicians to be overweight and 8% obese, suggesting that the situation has not improved much over the past 7 years. As for women, according to the CDC, 28.6% were overweight in 2008 and 35% were obese. In the Medscape survey the percentage of women physicians who reported being overweight tended to be slightly lower (26%) than the nation's women. A 2012 survey from Medscape. As you might imagine, the numbers are lower on a survey, than the actual findings of physical examinations
But what about doctors? As it turns out, we tend to be healthier than people on the other end of the stethoscope, but only barely. Fifty-three percent of physicians in the U.S. are heavy enough to be classified as overweight, a number only slightly lower than the general population (64 percent). Dr. Eric Van De Graff of the website LivewellNebraska from a 2013 blog post
This study suggests that providers perceived to be overweight or obese may be vulnerable to biased attitudes from patients, and that providers’ excess weight may negatively affect patients’ perceptions of their credibility, level of trust and inclination to follow medical advice. The conclusions of a study published in the March issue of the International Journal of Obesity
"Obesity Guidance" is one of the four parts of the NEW CARDIOVASCULAR GUIDELINES I dealt with the other day. Dr. Ryan wants obesity to be dealt with on every single doctor visit and wants insurance to pay for it all. Not to say that obesity should not be dealt with in the doctor's office, but let's be honest with each other for a moment. With approximately half of all doctors being either overweight or obese, how's that whole thing working out so far? Click on the previous link to find out.
After reading a recent article on the numbers of weight loss drugs currently in development, I am more convinced than ever that the new emphasis on WEIGHT LOSS will really be looked at as a way to sell more drugs (HERE). Argue with me all you want, but take a hard look at the financial conflicts of interest on the last link, and you will come to the same conclusion. In fact, let's just look at the conflicts personally reported by Dr. Ryan regarding the publication of her Guidelines
For this study, Dr. Ryan reported relationships with
- Alere Alere is a company who, among other things, manufactures tests for both cholesterol levels and blood chemistry related to the heart. Dr. Ryan helped write the newest guidelines concerning both of these.
- Amylin According to Wikipedia, "Amylin Pharmaceuticals is a biopharmaceutical company based in San Diego, CA, that was founded in 1987. The company is engaged in the discovery, development and commercialization of drug candidates for the treatment of diabetes, obesity and other diseases."
- Arena Pharmaceuticals Again, according to Wikipedia, "Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company located in San Diego, California that manufactures the drug lorcaserin (Beliviq). Lorcaserin is approved for use in adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or greater, and who have at least one weight-related health condition, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, or high cholesterol."
- Eisai Eisai is a Japanese pharmaceutical company that is ranked in the top 25 in the world according to its revenue (approximately 10 billion a year). You would recognize many of their drugs, including Acotnel (OSTEOPOROSIS), and Asiphex (REFLUX).
- Novo Nordisk Novo is a Danish company which has been around for almost a century. Novo is famous for its "Insulin Pens". The company has been in the news lately for problems with its Diabetes drug Tresiba. From what I can gather, Novo makes about half of the world's supply of anti-diabetes drugs.
- Nutrisystem Nutrisystem advertises a great deal on TV using celebrities or ex-athletes who have lost weight on their products and with their "weight loss counseling". Webmd states that Nutrisystem is a problematic way of addressing eating issues because, "dieters may only experience success while they are ordering the prepackaged foods because once they are on their own, they are faced with the real world of cooking, meal preparation, and issues they are not prepared to handle because they were not addressed on the plan". I have a number of issues with the Nutrisystem Diet that time constraints will not allow me to cover.
- Orexigen The company Orexigen Therapeutics does very similar things that Arena (above) does. It is a company based in San Diego and Osaka (Japan) whose chief purpose is creating drugs for weight loss.
- Takeda As you might imagine, this company (it's been around since 1781) is Japanese. It is in to just about everything, with a strong emphasis on drugs for TYPE II DIABETES (Actos and Basen)
- Vivus Vivus is a smaller California company whose website says, "Developing innovative, next generation therapies to address unmet needs in obesity, diabetes, and sexual health [they have their own version of Viagra]". I have written previously about the widespread problems of drugs used for DEPRESSION / Weight Loss (HERE). Vivus also happens to be the company about which the documentary movie ORGASM, INC was created.
- Scientific Intake SI makes a creature called "The SMART Device". This is a custom mouthpiece that fits against the upper palate, forcing a person to take smaller bites and chew more in order to be able to swallow. Kind of a cool, non-invasive idea.
Although Dr. Ryan has some serious conflicts (there were others I did not list), the other members of the committee reported "numerous relationships with industry" as well. This probably means that for the number of people on the committee, listing all of the "relationships" would have taken up far too much valuable journal space. For those who are not aware, this is status quo. After reading the list above, do you think that Dr. Ryan can be trusted to do what is in your best interest as far as things like diabetes and weight are concerned?
Am I saying that Dr. Ryan or the individuals on her committee are corrupt? No. A financial "conflict-of-interest" does not necessarily mean that these people have done anything devious or underhanded. It is, however, at the very least, the appearance of such. She and the other members who have their hands in more cookies jars than we can keep track of, simply need to recuse themselves from having anything to do with these guidelines. By the way, there are several Physicians Organizations that do not support the guidelines put forth by Dr. Ryan's committee.
And as far as other recommendations (which diet or exercise programs to use), there was a great deal of disagreement within the committee. They looked at 17 different diets and could not come to a consensus other than to say that, "clinicians should prescribe a diet based on patients' other risk factors". This sounds well and good, but where are these clinicians being trained to do this? Oh, and the other recommendation for dealing with obesity....? BARIATRIC SURGERY. At best I am leery of turning weight loss over the medical community. At worst, the overweight will become (as if they haven't already) another commodity to be looked at by those who control healthcare as walking, breathing dollar signs. And on top of this, it simply does not work (HERE)!
THE BEST WAY(S) TO LOSE WEIGHT
THE HOLIDAY CHALLENGE
FIND A FRIEND AND DO IT TODAY!
Friends don't let friends drive drunk. And friends don't stand idly by watching while those that they love and care about decimate themselves with the foods they choose to put in their mouth! Find a friend you can trust --- someone who has the same desire to make changes that you do; and present them with a challenge. Dr. Russell Schierling from last year's HOLIDAY CHALLENGE
I all but quit consuming SUGAR / SODA about 16-17 years ago, when I saw what it was doing to me. During that time, I have experimented enough with my diet to know that I am moderately GLUTEN SENSITIVE, CARB / SUGAR SENSITIVE, and am prone to INFLAMMATION when I eat the wrong foods. I have a PROBLEM with holiday goodies, and if I am not careful, I can play a game with myself over the holidays that looks like this:
CONVERSATIONS WITH MYSELF
THE DEVIL ON MY LEFT SHOULDER: It's OK Russ. After all, it is the Holiday Season. You deserve it. Live a little buddy --- treat yourself. You do so good for the rest of the year; what could it hurt to just have a little taste? Come on; you'll offend your hosts if you don't at least sample some of these treats.
THE ANGEL ON MY RIGHT SHOULDER: Hold on Russ. You aren't really even hungry --- let alone hungry for that kind of stuff. Just think about the metabolic strain it will put on your system. Not to mention pal; you know good and well the sort of cravings that this stuff will unleash on you. Don't do something you'll regret later.
THE DEVIL ON MY LEFT SHOULDER: Stop it already. Stop being such a party pooper! Just for once I'd like to see you stop playing 'The Doctor' and live a little bit. For Pete's sake, it's only one glass of eggnog / piece of toffee / slice of pie / homemade cinnamon roll / slice of fresh baked bread / __________ (insert your own personal G.O.C. --- Goodie of Choice --- here).
ME: TO MYSELF: Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have just one. OUT LOUD: Sure; I'll take whip cream with that.
THE DEVIL ON MY LEFT: See. That wasn't so bad, was it? And since you've already blown it, you may as well have some more.
THE ANGEL ON MY RIGHT SHOULDER: It's not too late to stop. You know how you are going to feel after doing this.
ME: OUT LOUD: Yes please; I'll have another _______ (insert your G.O.C. here). TO MYSELF: I'll get back on track Monday.
THE DEVIL ON MY LEFT SHOULDER: Good job buddy. You deserved that. Cravings? Not a problem. You're tough. You'll be able to lick those cravings. No sweat. But in the meanwhile; tis the season to be jolly. It's OK to feed your cravings over the holidays. Look around you Russ. It's what Americans do! You're just being normal.
ME A FEW WEEKS LATER: Boy howdy; I really have blown it. I guess it would not really matter to just blow it for the rest of the year and Kick off the New Year with a brand new Resolution.
THE DEVIL ON MY SHOULDER: Good idea Russ. New Year's Resolutions are always such an effective way of dealing with bad habits and addictions --- every year. When January first hits, just train a bit harder ---- or better yet; START RUNNING. That's always a grrrrrrrreat way to tip the balance in your favor!
Seriously; you know whether or not this post is relevant to you. Some people can handle their sugar ---- at least until they develop DIABETES and all the problems that go along with. Me; I've come to realize that as long as I don't touch it, I don't really want it. Get me started however, and I can become a raving lunatic. HERE, HERE, and HERE are some articles to help you understand the process, and encourage you to succeed (HERE are all my articles about Weight Loss). If you want some real motivation, check out the results of LAST YEAR'S HOLIDAY CHALLENGE. Find a friend and hold each other accountable. HERE is my friend's follow up to last year's Holiday Challenge from a few months ago (and HERE is his wife Kate's testimonial). I am calling you out Rick. Are we on for this year? You can't defeat me two years in a row. Truthfully man; I'm so proud of the way that you and Kate have turned things around by changing your diets.
ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THE BIOCHEMISTRY BEHIND IT
WEIGHT LOSS IS SIMPLE
The calories you take into your body will either be burned for energy or stored as fat. Weight loss is easy. Just eat less and exercise more. The failed premise behind many many diets and dieting books
I just lost 15 lbs in 30 days. I have been dieting my whole life and never experienced results like this before. A patient talking to me a few days ago about her experience with the Paleo Diet. She was on Paleo to squelch the Inflammation causing her Chronic Pain / Fibromyalgia. The weight loss was a happy side effect.
- Counting calories is an exercise in futility: Like I just said, not all calories are the same. I am not suggesting you try this, but back in the day, I experimented on myself by eating bacon and eggs for two weeks --- and got downright skinny in the process. As long as you do not have a major ENDOCRINE DISRUPTION and / or UNDERLYING GUT ISSUE, you will lose weight if you follow the advice in this post. To understand how this can be true, take five minutes to read about AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HEALTH PROBLEM. If you want more great information on this topic, read Gary Taubes' Good Calories; Bad Calories (his video is at the end of THIS LINK).
- You cannot exercise enough to overcome a crappy diet: It amazes me how hard some of my patients work out. Yet they still struggle mightily with their weight (YESTERDAY'S POST or HERE --- video at end of post). You may be able to get by with a terrible diet for a while, but when it finally catches up to you, things can get ugly ---- quickly. INFLAMMATORY ILLNESSES, AUTOIMMUNITY, OBESITY, FIBROMYALGIA, and numerous CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES are usually the result. This is why you need to change your diet now. And if your kids balk at your healthy changes, educate them and keep reminding yourself that you are the parent --- it is your job to make sure they aren't having Skittles and Mountain Dew for breakfast (HERE).
The foundation of dealing with A WHOLE HOST OF PHYSICAL AILMENTS is a healthy diet. For a number of different reasons, I recommend you try going PALEO. Don't balk; just read the link. It will likely make more sense than anything you have tried thus far. What have you got to lose?
THE SINGLE BEST EXERCISE FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH!
WHAT A DIET BASED ON WHOLE FOODS WILL DO FOR YOU
"But as I said, there is no comparison for the way I feel from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep." Richard Burris, Greenville South Carolina
Since starting this next phase of my health journey by joining Kate in the cleansing / detox at the first of June, I have purposefully not paid attention to my weight. All of the years of competitive wrestling make it too easy for me to look at weight as the sole measure of my health. However, the few times I was on the scale in 2012 and early 2013 I was a solid 230, and may have once tipped the scale at 240. A few weeks back Kate talked me into getting on the scale again. I wouldn't look and I didn't let her give me a number. I knew I was losing weight at the time. This morning I got on again without looking. When I stepped off her eyes were lit up. I still don't know the number but she answered the one question I had before I could ask it. I am now under 200 pounds just three months later. Kate by the way, is about 125 and was weighing 150 a year ago. Too bad we didn't get physicals and blood tests three months ago. It would be interesting to compare the numbers. But as I said, there is no comparison for the way I feel from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep.
Greenville, South Carolina
WHAT ABOUT CHEAT DAYS?
Tim Ferris, along with numerous others, tells people that they need to follow their diet strictly for 6 days and reserve the 7th day as a cheat day. Others will tell you that it is OK to have one "cheat meal" per week. Some will even say that this "cheating" can be an all out binge ---- just as long as you go back to your healthy way of eating the next meal or the next day ---- which ever way you personally choose to cheat. While this might appear to work OK for some people, there are some inherent problems with regular cheat days.
- THE FOODS PEOPLE DECIDE TO CHEAT WITH ARE USUALLY TERRIBLE: I have been eating LOW CARB for the better part of the past two decades. It is the only way of eating that I can maintain my weight and energy on; not to mention it helps keep MY CHRONIC PAIN LEVEL to almost zero. But I would be lying to you if I told you that I never cheated. Although I stay on the wagon far better than I used to, I still fall off at times. However, I believe that the foods you chose to cheat with are critical to your health and the success of your ability to permanently follow a healthy way of eating. One of the foods that I recommend people go out of their way to avoid on cheat days is Trans Fats. For instance, TRANS FATS have a half-life of around 2 months. This means that the box of Oreos that you wolfed down yesterday, will be staying with you (your cell membranes, hopefully not in the form of TYPE II DIABETES) for much longer than your next couple of trips to the bathroom. Be smart about what you cheat with.
- THEY CAUSE SETBACKS IN THE FORM OF NEUROLOGICAL REACTIONS: Let's say for a moment, that you are eating a PALEO-TYPE DIET because you figured out you are sensitive to Gluten and / or Dairy. Although you may not have debilitating symptoms like some do, you know that when you eat these foods, you feel terrible. Just remember, that for the truly sensitive, it takes as little as 20 parts per billion to set off a reaction. Furthermore, with many potentially-reactive foods (including Gluten), the majority of the symptoms (at least 60%) are NEUROLOGICAL IN NATURE. In other words, many people do not associate things like NEUROPATHY or PARKINSON'S, with Gluten, even though there is a strong relationship to both. To see why cheating can totally undermine certain people's ability to get healthy or lose weight, just GO HERE.
- ADDICTIONS: Not only are lots of people addicted to sugar and high glycemic index starches (HERE), they are often addicted to foods they are sensitive to. Much of this has to do with the "rush" they get from their Adrenal Glands. Although there are many consequences to this, one of the most common is FIBROMYALGIA / ADRENAL FATIGUE. The SUGAR ADDICTIONS, which subsided once you started eating properly, will come raging back every time you break down and choose to fuel them. As a 'dry' sugar / carb addict myself, if you are going to cheat, you have to be very careful to stay on the wagon, because when you do fall off it can get ugly. You have to ask yourself if eating a package of Pop Tarts is worth the several days of intense cravings it is going to ignite. I realize that some of you can eat one bite of mom's chocolate cake and be done with it. But for most people (self included), this would be the equivalent of said alcoholic telling himself he is just going to have one tiny sip of bourbon.
- INFLAMMATION: Everything (all sickness, CHRONIC PAIN, and disease) is INFLAMMATION. In other words, all health problems and disease processes boil down to the amount of Inflammation you have coursing through your body. Is a regular "cheat day" (binge) worth driving Inflammation --- especially when you are doing so well with both your weight and your health? I know from personal experience that many (if not most) of the foods that people tend to cheat with are highly inflammatory. With some people, this inflammation triggers Autoimmune Reactions and other crazy symptoms. Although it is undoubtedly delicious, Autoimmunity is probably not worth that piece of mom's chocolate cake --- no matter how good it tastes.
- YOU BECOME ADDICTED TO CHEAT DAY: I have seen people who literally revolve their lives around their cheat day. Honestly, this is no way to live. You should control what you eat, not the other way around.
IF YOU ARE GOING TO CHEAT (SOONER OR LATER WE
ALL DO) CHEAT ON YOUR OWN TERMS
Falling off the wagon is something that is going to happen from time to time, and for most of us, it's not the end of the world. But if you are going to purposely cheat, plan how, where, and why. Or better yet; treat yourself to something besides food. How about a massage or CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENT? There are numerous things that can be done to treat yourself that do not involve overeating or junking out. And if you've never done it before, make sure to do an ELIMINATION DIET.
THREE EASY STEPS TO HELP GET RID OF CELLULITE
The average woman loses 5 lb of muscle and replaces it with about 15 lb of fat every decade of her adult life. Prevention Magazine advisor, Dr. Wayne Westcott.
One of the questions that I am asked over and over and over again by my female patients whether or not our SCAR TISSUE REMODELING treatments will get rid of cellulite. Unfortunately, they won't. But before I tell you what you can do to dramatically reduce the appearance of cellulite on your butt, thighs, and abdomen, lets talk about a few of the things that seem to cause it.
Firstly, you must realize that the number one cause of cellulite is simply being born female (about 90% of women have cellulite). Yeah; I know ---- just one more thing you gals have to put up with. By the way; isn't it interesting how every picture touting the latest "Get Rid of Your Cellulite Today!" article in Cosmo, Redbook, or Women's Fitness is of a model who probably does not even know what cellulite is?
Secondly, when one starts looking for the causes of cellulite, the first thing you'll notice is that many of these are extremely vague. Some that I found included things like "changes in metabolism and physiology", "hormonal or genetic factors", or "changes in circulation or the extracellular matrix". What I did find interesting is that two of the factors I saw on various lists were INFLAMMATION (why not? It causes just about everything else.) and "alterations of the connective tissues". Another common alteration of Connective Tissue has to do with the MICROSCOPIC SCARRING that is so epidemic in people dealing with various CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES.
The real question on everyone's mind though, is how to get rid of it ---- or at the very least; how does one halt it's progression and enhance its appearance?
DIMINISHING THE APPEARANCE OF CELLULITE
- FORGET ALL THE GIMMICKS: The truth is that all of the expensive pills, potions, lotions, procedures, LASERS, endermologie, cellulite massages, supplements, and who-knows-what-else, are not going to help you for any real length of time as far as your cellulite is concerned. I am not arguing that they might not help with the appearance for awhile, but like I said, any long-term results are probably a pipe dream with these methods. I am asked almost incessantly about the FB from AB Guru (HERE). While I think it's great and certainly appears to have helped a lot of people (it's certainly not anything new), it's another example of a product that is probably overstating what it can do on a number of levels.
- CHANGE YOUR DIET: It's not a secret that heavier women tend to have the most cellulite. If you are interested in LOSING WEIGHT, don't go on a crash diet. Eat a PALEO DIET, based on WHOLE FOODS. As a female, you'll need to step up to the plate and address your HORMONE DISRUPTORS as well.
- CONTROL INFLAMMATION: The cool thing is that by following the advice in the previous bullet point, you automatically help your case concerning this one! If you don't really understand what INFLAMMATION is, it would be in your best interest to take the 5 minutes it will take to read this link as it contains the link to Dr. David Seaman's Anti-Inflammatory Diet article (HERE). Bear in mind, however, that inflammation always leads to some degree of Scar Tissue (HERE).
- ENGAGE IN RESISTANCE TRAINING: I once knew a woman who, even though she was quite thin, had a real issue developing cellulite in all the places that women typically develop cellulite. As crazy as it sounds, she was exercising way too much ---- THE WRONG WAY, and actually creating a problem with something known as MONW. When she started lifting weights, the results were rapid and very noticeable. To understand this phenomenon better, visit THIS POST.
COULD YOUR CARDIO WORKOUT
BE MAKING YOU FAT?
(OR AT LEAST PREVENTING YOU FROM LOSING WEIGHT?)
Are you interested in losing weight? Then you should cut back on classic cardiovascular exercise. Shun it, even. Abolish it. Throw out your treadmill or better yet, give it to someone you don’t like as cardio doesn’t work if your goal is long-term weight loss.
Jim Karas used to have a weight problem. Today he is a celebrity trainer who has several best selling books under his belt besides a regular guest on numerous TV programs --- including the Dr. Oz Show. Last week he wrote an article for Yahoo called, "Is Your Exercise Making You Fat?". I surely don't agree with everything Jim espouses (one article about a day in his life had him drinking DIET COKE for BREAKFAST), but as far as this topic goes, he largely hit the nail on the head with his article. The quote at the top of the page was taken from the first paragraph of his article.
Some of you like to run for the sake of running. Far be it from me to discourage you. Just be aware that there are some serious myths floating around about the benefits of running / Cardio Training (I wrote about some of these in depth in my numerous posts filed under CARDIO TRAINING -vs- STRENGTH TRAINING). Jim's biggest beef with using Cardio Training as a weight loss tool is that it causes the loss of lean body mass ----- i.e. muscle tissue. According to the scientific literature, he is correct. Why would anyone perform exercise that is known to make you lose muscle mass when muscle mass is so tough to acquire in the first place? They buy into all those old WEIGHT LOSS MYTHS.
I have always heard that after the age of 30, people are losing 10% of their muscle mass per decade for the rest of their life ---- unless they are actively and specifically doing something to combat it (and as is usually the case, women are affected by this phenomenon significantly more than men). How do you combat this muscle loss? There is only one real way ---- STRENGTH OR RESISTANCE TRAINING. You see; loss of lean body mass presents an ugly metabolic dilemma once you realize that muscle burns more energy at rest than does an equal amount of fat --- far more energy.
Why is this weight gain happening? It's simple—muscle loss. When you lose muscle, your metabolism is destroyed. You are also decimating your metabolism by dieting without exercise or dieting with cardio. Your successful weight loss formula is dieting plus strength training. Period.
Are you interested in gaining weight? If you are, perform cardiovascular exercise, and a lot it.
You never want to worry about the calories you burn during exercise. More important are the calories burned after exercise, called EPOC (Excess, Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption). You get up to 38 hours of EPOC from interval-based strength training.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration