THE THORACOLUMBAR MODEL OF CHRONIC LOW BACK PAIN
| || |
SYSTEMICALLY ADHESED FASCIA AND CHRONIC NAUSEA
And while he had made some headway, physical traumas he had had endured in his childhood left him not so much with chronic pain but with chronic nausea that he felt was the result of severe all-over FASCIAL ADHESIONS (never discount fascia as a potential cause or contributing factor of almost any physical issue you care to name --- HERE). When it comes to people with SYSTEMIC FASCIAL ADHESIONS I'm very choosy about whom I treat. Why? For the simple reason that most of these cases have underlying causes, many being based in underlying AUTOIMMUNITY or other CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE PROCESSES. Gus convinced me that this was not the case with him and came out and spent a couple of weeks with us from San Fran. The improvements he made were astounding.
Rather than letting me tell you about it, I'll let Gus tell you. BTW, if you know people in similar situations, be sure and get this information in front of them. Besides forwarding them the link, one of the best ways to reach the folks you love and care most about is by liking, sharing, or following on FACEBOOK. I enjoyed our time together Gus and wish you the best! Oh; if your reading this and want to see more of these sorts of videos, be sure and take a look at some of the HUNDREDS OF OTHERS I have on my site.
QUICK AND AMAZING RESULTS TREATING A PERSON WHO STRUGGLED WITH DECADES OF CHRONIC BACK AND NECK PAINRead Now
CHRONIC BACK & NECK PAIN: RESULTS RULE
A VIDEO TESTIMONIAL
Dean has dealt with CHRONIC BACK & NECK PAIN, in his words, since he was 15 years old. After treating him for the first time back in the winter (yesterday was either his second or third visit), I asked if he would be willing to do a video for us, talking about his experience here. He agreed, and although he didn't think he did a good job (he walked away from the camera at the end saying "that was stupid"), his testimonial is anything but.
In fact, Dean did an excellent job of conveying what sets our clinic apart from so many others --- the fact that we work to solve people's chronic issues QUICKLY. No games. No sales pitches or pre-pays. And no long care plans. Just click the link to see what I'm talking about. What's doubly crazy about Dean's story is that his wife actually came in first and got even better results than he did (we'll try and get a video up next week).
If you know someone who who is struggling with chronic pain; someone who needs to see this or OTHER SIMILAR, for Pete's sake, get it in front of them! One of the easiest ways to reach the people you love and care about most is by liking, sharing, or following us on FACEBOOK. Oh; be sure to catch Dean and some of our unnamed friends from On Time (V & S, we love you) speaking about the scourge of human trafficking at Timber Ridge Baptist Church in Marshfield (HERE).
LONG-DISTANCE PATIENT SENDS
EMAIL SHOWING HER IMPROVEMENT
Although there was a history of WHIPLASH, Jane's problems had started in earnest three years ago after spending significant time carrying her niece in a baby carrier. The result was not only severe CHRONIC NECK PAIN and HEADACHES, but upper back pain that had begun spreading via BIOMECHANICAL COMPENSATION downward into her LOW BACK and HIPS / UPPER-OUTER BUTTOCKS. She was struggling with all-over spasms as well as the fact that her face was drawing and twitching more than just a little bit.
About nine weeks ago I not only spent a week working with Jane (all the areas mentioned above as well as her FACE and SKULL), but OUR FAMILY got to know her a bit as we had her and her mother who had traveled with her to our house for dinner one evening and then to church later in the week. It was an awesome time together (they are super fun people), and just today I got to see how fruitful our time together really was with this unsolicited email that Jane sent me last evening.
Hello Dr Russell! Been a while I know... I'm alive, well, and kicking. My Mum sends her love to you and the rest of the Family. I'm a lot better now and I no longer have to cover my face every where I go, the twitching reduced and I'm so happy. The shoulder pain has also improved so much and the bumpy stuff that was all over my body has cleared up as well. I also noticed that I haven't been to the emergency room since I returned. Before you treated me I used to visit the ER at least 3 to 4 times a month. I'm so glad I bumped into you! No regrets at all.
If you are wanting to see more testimonials like this one (many in video format), be sure to visit our TESTIMONIAL PAGE. Also be sure to take a look at our FACEBOOK PAGE. It's just a click away and by liking, sharing, or following, it's one of the simplest ways to reach the people you love and care about most!
MINIMAL EFFECTIVE DOSE (M.E.D.) AS IT RELATES TO CHRONIC NECK PAIN AND RESTRICTED CERVICAL FASCIA
A VIDEO TESTIMONIAL
- WORK: All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. However, all of us know people --- probably many people --- who are connected to their work like a Siamese twin.
- RECREATION: Likewise, too much time doing "nothing" can be a huge problem as well. Even the CURRENT RIVER might get old if you were on it every single day (notice I said "might").
- VEHICLE: We have lots of excesses when it comes to vehicles. While certainly cool, who really needs a car that will go 180 mph?
- HOUSE: I always get a kick out of looking at other people's mansions. But let's be real; is there any practical purpose to owning a 40,000 square foot home (HERE), when for many of us, 1,000 square feet would be more than enough (HERE)?
Which brings me to a principle known as MED (Minimum Effective Dose). Wikipedia tells us that an "Effective Dose" in the field of pharmacology is "the lowest amount of drug that produces a therapeutic response or desired effect." Because DRUGS ARE SO TOXIC, a "dose" of whatever drug being taken should not be more potent than that which would be the least amount to cause the the drug's desired effect --- i.e. the minimum 'Effective Dose'. As you would guess, any amount over the MED is potentially TOXIC. Although a drug may not be immediately toxic, remember that toxicity is accumulative; especially when speaking of pharmaceutical drugs (toxicity can also build up at less than "effective doses" as well). As you might imagine, this principle applies to numerous other areas of life.
- SEX: Having studied and been certified in Chinese Acupuncture back in 1991, the best example of what too much sex does comes from their method of health and healing (a quick Google search will show you what I mean). Not surprisingly this can be as source of health problems in a HYPER-SEXUALIZED & ADDICTED society.
- SUNSHINE: Sunshine is awesome on many different levels. And while much of the medical community tells people to all but totally avoid exposure, we know that a certain amount of sunshine turns CHOLESTEROL into Vitamin D (one of the single most important hormones / hormone precursors in our bodies). However, any amount over the MED, will not only potentially use more Vitamin D than it creates, it damages the skin.
- NUTRITION: American nutrition is built around the more-is-better philosophy. It's obvious that as a nation we consume way too many CALORIES. But bear in mind that the same thing can be said of things like VITAMINS & PROBIOTICS as well. And while MEGADOSES of certain nutrients might be great to create a targeted short-term drug-like effect (VITAMIN C, for instance), just remember that too much of a good thing can easily become a bad thing. The brilliant ROYAL LEE was talking about MED as related to nutrition back in the 1920's.
- EXERCISE: Exercise is great stuff. It induces scientifically proven physiological changes, which, if I had the ability to bottle, would be worth a trillion dollars. The problem is, those thinking that more is better when it comes to exercise and training frequently become "over-trained," which can lead to a myriad of health problems. For instance, how many of you were aware that there are studies linking hardcore cardio training to a LEAKY GUT or even ADRENAL FATIGUE? And on the weightlifting side of things, too many sets leaves you vulnerable to a host of REPETITIVE INJURIES to the MUSCLES, FASCIA, and especially TENDONS. Inventor of Nautalis gym equipment, Arthur Jones, developed his equipment on the premise that one maximal-effort set per body part is all that is needed to stimulate serious muscle growth, then proving it in the famous "Colorado Experiment" with professional bodybuilder, Casey Viator. Clarence "Ripped" Bass said of this principle, "The secret, if there is one, is high-intensity; and when you are actually training with high-intensity, you don’t need a large amount of training."
- TISSUE DEFORMATION: Tissue Deformation refers to the amount of mechanical loading needed to physically change the structure and mechanical function of living tissues (HERE). While tissue deformation is a principle used in exercise (particularly resistance training), it also happens to be the chief principle of TISSUE REMODELING. Just remember that an important part of MED is the "E" (effective). This is why treatment, while holding to the principle of MED, is like playing a CARNIVAL GAME. In other words, treatment that is not intense enough is just as ineffective as too much or too intense treatment. The bell must be rung in order to get results (click the link to grasp what I mean). This is why if you have serious amounts of SCAR TISSUE / FIBROSIS built up from either traumatic or repetitive injuries, without breaking it down first, lots of CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS or THERAPY aren't going to cut it.
Why do I bring all of this up? JJ first contacted me the first of the year concerning an injury that has severely affected his shoulder and neck (he is from the KC area) to the point it's AFFECTING EVERY AREA OF HIS LIFE. He had done lots of therapy, been to specialists of all sorts, had all the same tests you've had (HERE), and during the course of the past year, had between 80 and 90 CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS --- the only thing that seemed to help, although the relief was very short-lived --- a common theme in my profession (HERE). This is JJ's follow up email one week after his first treatment.
Hello Dr. Russ!
This is JJ. I hope you had a great weekend! I just wanted to follow up with you since my visit last Thursday. I have definitely seen a significant improvement. My flexibility has dramatically increased. Further, my shoulder pain is practically gone. My headaches have improved as well. I have been using the Dakota wedge every morning and night as well. I think it is working. I could barely stand to be on the wedge for a minute when I started, and I can do about 5-6 minutes now. Overall, I think I'm moving in the right direction! I'm going to keep doing the stretches and the Dakota wedge, and I have been reading your blog on ways that I can address the trigger points. I just wanted to keep in touch and keep you in the loop. Everything has healed nicely, and I think in a couple weeks I'll make another appointment to come down and get another treatment. Thanks for everything! -JJ
I hope you are well. I have seen huge improvements in my range of motion since my last visit, but I still feel a bit "tethered" in some areas in my neck and back. I think that another round would likely be beneficial. Also, I've been doing a lot of research on your website and came across an article on losing the lordotic "c-shaped" curve in the neck. My doctor told me I lost the normal curve in my neck. From what I can tell, the Dakota traction device is a good way to address this. I have been using mine when I wake up and before I go to sleep, and I can almost go for 5 minutes now. How long does it take for the curve to come back on average? Is this something that takes years or will I start to see some improvement in a few months?
Bringing the curve back can take some time, which is why THE GUIDELINES CREATED BY DR. PAYNE say that people need to work up to 20 minutes a day on the Dakota in order to create enough mechanical force to overcome the immense amount of BIOMECHANICAL FORCE created by tissue restriction ("TISSUE DEFORMATION"). By the way, the "TETHERING" that JJ mentioned is exactly what many of you are feeling regarding your CERVICAL FASCIA.
CHRONIC ABDOMINAL AND BACK PAIN...
I saw Francois on Tuesday morning and again this morning before starting with regular patients. He had severe restriction that was distorting his body, an inability to move properly through a number of ranges of motion, a significant amount of pain, and some weird neurological junk (touching certain parts of his belly caused abnormal sensations in his same-side foot among other things). He also had a history of several groin injuries from playing years of hockey (he was a goalie). Findings: severe FASCIAL ADHESIONS that centered around his right ABDOMINAL WALL / TENSOR FASCIA LATA / HIP FLOXOR and ran upward into his thoracic cage, lat, and triceps / rear deltoid; and downward into his groin and quadriceps (a little in his hamstring).
What was wrong? The adhesed fascia had ensnared several CUTANEOUS NERVES, causing not only significant amounts of pain, but odd neurological signs and referral patterns as well. What's really interesting is that as I continued to test the BULLSEYE AREA, I found the epicenter of his problem. He had a tear that ran from under his arm, around the RIB CAGE along the top margin of his latisumus in a large half-circle (although I did not take a pic, it was VERY VISIBLE after working on him). Since I have never had a VIDEO TESTIMONIAL in any language other than English, so since he had done so well with his treatment, I asked Francois if he would be willing to do one in his native tongue; French. Although he was a bit apprehensive (he is far too self conscious about his English, which is much better than he thinks), he agreed. Below is the video and transcript.
If you are ever in the area again Francois, make sure to look me up so we can get your family to THE CURRENT RIVER (our neck of the Ozarks is a rather good VACATION DESTINATION). If you enjoy posts like this one and wonder if what I do here could benefit someone you know; the best way to reach those you love and care about most is by liking, sharing, or following on FACEBOOK.
THE WEIRDER, WACKIER, AND MORE WIDESPREAD THE NEUROLOGICAL ISSUES, THE LESS LIKELY FASCIA REMODELING WILL HELPRead Now
WEIRD NEUROLOGICAL ISSUES ARE NOT WHAT TISSUE REMODELING IS ABOUT
Hello Dr. Schierling,
2 years ago my doctor talked me into getting a flu shot even though I had never had one before and had been healthy my whole life (I do smoke about a pack a week). It has turned my life upside down. I have daily migraine headaches. My lips and ears feel like they're vibrating even though they aren't. My eyes are either always watering or always dry. Only half my body sweats. My hands both shake but never at the same time. I have pain everywhere, but it never stays in one place but moves around constantly. My digestion and bowels are terrible. The list is so long that it would take too long to tell you everything. The main reason I am contacting you is that my entire body feels as though it is stiffening like drying concrete even though I am only XX years old and very active until this started. I try to do yoga but it always makes the problem worse. I am always exhausted and my limbs feel so heavy like they are anchoring me to my bed. I can barely make it to the grocery store and back and no longer attend mass except on Christmas and Easter. I found your page on fascia adhesions and feel you are my last hope because I have been to every specialist in my area and no one knows what's wrong with me or what to do. I am eagerly awaiting your response. My problem is not in my head!
Here's the thing; I get so many of these it literally breaks my heart. Unfortunately, what I do in my clinic is not going to solve Sally's problem. In fact, I'm doubtful I could bring her any temporary relief. Other than to say there is some sort of systemic neurological problem going on, I don't really have any idea what might be wrong with her. Below is my response to her email.
As much as I hate to see you struggle with this problem that I do not believe for one minute is in your head, due to its underlying SYSTEMIC NATURE it is not something I have the expertise to help you with, and unfortunately I'm not even sure where to begin other than suggest you read the material in these posts (HERE). Something from that FLU SHOT obviously messed up your gut and neurological system, but beyond that, I have no idea. Again, I am sorry, and wish you the best in finding a solution.
Here is Sally's response word for word.
Well I'm sorry too. I thought I had finally found someone who knows something about fixing my problem. I guess I'll just keep searching for a real expert. It's too bad the world is full of rip offs and liars who are looking to take advantage of people!
I totally get where she's coming from --- she thought she had found the solution to her misery and was banking on that before even talking to me. There is nothing I would have loved more than to tell Sally to make the trip from the coast to see me because I really believed I could help. Understand, however, that my goal is not only to help all of you in some small way (just look at the massive amount of free information I am continually giving away on my site --- no strings attached), but to protect your time and pocketbook as well. The last thing I want is a reputation as a scam artist with a cool website. If I truly think I can help you, I'll tell you that --- if not, I'll tell you that too.
Do I help everyone who comes to see me, whether local or from FAR AWAY? Heck no. And it always bothers me when someone does not respond. The thing, however, that sets me apart from other clinics is that in most cases I can tell my patients that they will know after a single treatment whether or not my approach is going to help them (HERE or HERE). Meet Jack. This video is of a young man who had three years of low back pain, dating back to high school. Nothing neurological, systemic, or odd about his case other than the fact he had been dealing with it for three years when I first saw him, almost a year ago to the day. I wish you well on your future endeavors Jack!
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration