MORE ON THE SUGAR-FEEDS-CANCER CONNECTION
A year ago next month, Dr. LC Cantley, whose CV reads like a veritable Who's Who in the field of cellular biology and cancer research, was part of a team that published a study in Cell (The PI3K Pathway in Human Disease) in which he said of the PI3K enzyme (phosphoinositide 3-kinase), "PI3K activity is stimulated by diverse oncogenes and growth factor receptors, and elevated PI3K signaling is considered a hallmark of cancer." Translation; EPIGENETICALLY STIMULATING any of a wide range of genes that perform an array of tasks, along with stimulation of various growth factors (although there are many, insulin is arguably the body's most powerful growth factor) can elevate levels of an enzyme that's considered to be a chief biomarker in CANCER.
For those of you who are up on DR. OTTO WARBURG'S Nobel Prize winning work, the news that SUGAR FEEDS CANCER is old hat. For the rest of you, hold on tight and enjoy today's short ride. Two days ago Mike Wehner wrote an article called Ketogenic Diet Could Give New Cancer-Fighting Drugs a Big Boost, in which he stated....
"The drugs in question work by targeting the PI3K enzyme which has been linked to cancer mutations. The drugs showed promise early on but have fallen short of lofty expectations, and now scientists think that combining the drugs with a ketogenic diet might be the real answer. 'Any drug that targets PI3K may not be effective unless patients can maintain low blood sugar levels through diet or medication,' Lewis C. Cantley, Ph.D, lead author of the study, said in a statement. 'We demonstrated that if we keep insulin down with the ketogenic diet, it dramatically improves the effectiveness of these cancer drugs.'"
What does this really mean? Firstly, it means that in all reality, the PI3K inhibitors that a decade ago were touted as the latest in a long line of failed "miracle drugs," are little more than STONE SOUP. If they don't work in the absence of a KETOGENIC DIET, let's be honest with each other --- they don't work. It's the diet that's doing the heavy lifting here. When you stop LIVING THE HIGH CARB LIFESTYLE, you dramatically reduce insulin production, one of the most anabolic hormones (makes you bigger) on the planet, thus reducing your body's ability to grow tumors or cancer (or for that matter, ADIPOSE TISSUE).
The thing, however, that should leave you questioning everything you are being fed regarding EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE, is that even though everything in this post is common knowledge, not only among the scientific medical community, but among a significant percentage of the lay population as well, the heaviest of the heavy hitters in cancer treatment (Mayo, MD Anderson, Johns Hopkins, etc) still maintain via church-like 'statements of faith' on their collective websites that sugar does not feed cancer --- so eat up (HERE)!
It's one of the myriad of reasons that I have been recommending various forms of LOW CARB DIETS (particularly PALEO and KETOGENIC) for nearly two and a half decades. And cancer is just the tip of the iceberg as far as what eating clean and watching junk carbs and SUGAR can do for you. It also happens to be why this way of eating anchors my popular SOLVE YOUR OWN HEALTH PROBLEMS post. Since most of you reading this know someone who could benefit from this information, why not pass it along to them. The best way to reach those you love and care about most? Try liking, sharing, or following on FACEBOOK.
NEW STUDY SHOWS THAT SUGAR IS....
"Available evidence in humans shows that sugar and sweetness can induce reward and craving that are comparable in magnitude to those induced by addictive drugs.... Overall, this research has revealed that sugar and sweet reward can not only substitute to addictive drugs, like cocaine, but can even be more rewarding and attractive. At the neurobiological level, the neural substrates of sugar and sweet reward appear to be more robust than those of cocaine." From the abstract of the July 2013 issue of the medical journal, Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care
Google the term "SUGAR ADDICTION" and you'll get over six million hits (a couple of them might even be articles I wrote on the subject). Even though it is, an addiction; it is one of America's more "acceptable" addictions --- one that people who roll up their nose at drunks or drug addicts can engage in without any significant social scorn from their peers --- it is and addiction nonetheless. How do you know whether you are a sugar addict or not? Although a Sugar Addiction is not usually as blatantly ugly as other addictions are, just give it a little time and it will produce not only the classic psychological signs of the addict, it will also manifest a host of physical symptoms as well --- symptoms that reveal just how serious a problem this really is. Take the simple self-test below.
- TRYING TO HIDE YOUR ADDICTION: Although easy at first, this gets consistently more difficult because of the continual need for more of what you crave. This is the very nature of an addiction. No matter your drug-of-choice, it always takes "more" to experience any feelings of the 'high' (increased pleasure / reduced emotional negativity). Eventually, hiding the addiction becomes impossible.
- SUGAR STASHES: Remember the old TV shows where the town drunk would have partially-drunk whiskey bottles stashed in almost every conceivable place? Many sugar addicts do the same thing.
- EXCUSES / DENIAL: What's amazing is how similar these excuses and denials sound to the excuses and denials made by alcoholics or drug addicts. I personally know a person who became seriously addicted to prescription painkillers after a serious injury. Although the injury had healed and this person could have gotten off the meds, it took an inordinate amount of time and intervention. You should have heard the excuses.
- ANYTHING FOR A FIX: Do you start your day with sugar (HERE)? If you find yourself in bizarre situations trying to get your hands on sugar or carbs, you definitely have a problem. Just like those addicted to hard drugs, the sugar addict will do anything to get their fix. It is the focal point of their lives.
- CONTINUING DESPITE THE PERSISTENT DAMAGE IT IS DOING: As you have seen, this damage can be physical, psychological, or more likely, a combination of the two. Even though a person might realize it is destroying their health and relationships, they choose sugar anyway. It is frequently the single most powerful motivating factor in their life.
- PATHOLOGICAL CRAVINGS / FEAR OF GIVING UP SUGAR: Do you have health or social problems that affect school, work, or relationships because of the need to consume sugar and carbs, yet keep on doing so despite the negative consequences? Do you chase after sugar even though it is causing you physical or emotional pain? Is it the driving force in your life? Near the end of his month-long journey as captured in the documentary Super Size Me, a recently overweight Morgan Spurlock tells his video camera that the only time he feels good about himself now is when he is, "eating this crap". If you are using sugar /carbs to boost your mood (serotonin levels), or can't bear the thought of giving up the stuff (HERE), you probably have a sugar addiction. One more thing; if you feel DEPRESSED at the mere thought of going without sugar, it's a dead give away that you have an addiction.
- PLAYING THE SUBSTITUTION GAME: This could mean that you are substituting sugar substitutes for sugar (HERE). However, it could mean something far more insidious (HERE).
- ISSUES WITH WEIGHT: Although sugar addiction almost always leads to OBESITY, sometimes people think they are getting away with it because they are still skinny. This is simply because some people's over-taxed pancreases take longer to burn out than others. Be aware that even though you might be of a "normal" weight, too much sugar or starch has a tendency to create the SKINNY FAT EFFECT. Once people begin gaining the extra weight, the "FAT BUT FIT" excuse is an old standby.
- OTHER ADDICTIONS: This is particularly true of things like coffee, SMOKES, or alcohol (which itself is metabolized just like sugar). When the pancreas burns out due to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar (see next point) the ADRENAL GLANDS kick in to help the failing pancreas. Most sugar addicts will frequently want things that boost their Adrenal Response (caffeine, nicotine, sugar). Unfortunately, this is not helpful, and is a doorway to a whole host of other problems.
- UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR: Numerous people will tell me that they do not have a problem with blood sugar because they recently had their blood checked and it was normal (HERE). If they are consuming mass quantities of sugar on a regular basis, they are fooling themselves (HERE). Uncontrolled Blood Sugar is the number one health issue facing the American population today --- and it's not even close. The last point in this section will go into more detail.
- YOU ARE TIRED AND SLUGGISH AFTER YOU EAT: If you feel tired or sluggish after meals, you undoubtedly have REACTIVE HYPOGLYCEMIA. This is the BLOOD SUGAR low that comes "reactively" after the high. Low blood sugar and high blood sugar are two sides of the same coin that we call Diabetes.
- YOU HAVE TROUBLE CONCENTRATING: There are numerous studies touting the ill effects of sugar on cognitive function as well as dementia. In fact, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE is now being called Type III Diabetes because its characteristic brain plaques result from Uncontrolled Blood Sugar.
- A COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEM: You are constantly sick (HERE). The problem is, sugar and ANTIBIOTICS are a devastating combination (HERE), that leads to a wide variety of DYSBIOTIC HEALTH ISSUES, including Systemic (blood-borne) Yeast. The yeast itself requires sugar to survive and creates horrendous cravings in its attempt to take over your body. Besides Antibiotics, CORTICOSTEROIDS (a form of Innumo-suppressive drug) create sugar cravings as well.
- DIMINISHED LIBIDO: Whether male or female, if you don't have the desire to have sex, you are likely dealing with a blood sugar issues (HERE and HERE). If you would trade sex for a handful of bon bons, you have a sugar addiction.
- HORMONAL ISSUES --- PARTICULARLY PCOS: Listen to what Dr Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, author of "Beat Sugar Addiction Now" said on the June 10, 2010 episode of ABC's 6:00 news, "hormonal fluctuations in women entering menopause can cause anxiety, depression, and insulin resistance that can also lead to sugar addictions". Although he is correct, this is a chicken 'egg thing, meaning the opposite is true as well. For more on PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome --- the #1 female problem in America today --- go HERE).
- INCREASED ACIDITY: If you are fighting diseases of acidity (although there are many, the two that most immediately come to mind are CANCER and OSTEOPOROSIS), it would not be a stretch to wonder if you have a sugar addiction. Get some litmus paper at the corner drug store and test your pH.
- ALL SICKNESS AND DISEASE: AUTOIMMUNITY, INFLAMMATORY ILLNESS, and almost every single health issue you care to mention (see the bullet point above on Uncontrolled Blood Sugar) have similar starting points. If you would rather ignore this than click on the links, you are likely addicted to sugar / carbs.
HOW TO CONQUER YOUR SUGAR ADDICTION
- STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR HEALTH AND YOUR LIFE ---- ADMIT YOU ARE AN ADDICT AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT: As is the case with all sorts of problems, the first thing you have to do is identify it as such. As long as you stay in denial, nothing will get accomplished.
- LEARN THE MANY WAYS THAT SUGAR HIDES: Simply learn to read food labels. Oh, and be aware that you might even have a GLUTOMORPHIN ADDICTION as well. Even though you have never heard of this, it is far more common (and scary) than imagined.
- DON'T BRING CRAP IN YOUR HOUSE, CAR, OR WORKPLACE: This is a no-brainer folks. If you are stashing junk food in strategic places, you will fail in your endeavor to kick your addiction. You have to stay away from the stuff. Period. Unfortunately, 'church' is all too often a dangerous place for the sugar addict.
- GET YOURSELF AN ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER: Most of us benefit from someone to help hold our fingers to the fire. Although it can be done (HERE), most persons will have a rough go of it when kicking an addiction alone. HERE is how I have gone about this in the past.
- EXERCISE THE RIGHT WAY: Although there about a jillion ways to exercise, if you want the straight scoop on getting the most benefit out of the shortest amount of time, go HERE.
- ABSTAIN FROM SUGAR AND HIGH GLYCEMIC INDEX CARBOHYDRATES: Listen folks. I already know you are going to call me a harsh, hard-hearted SOB for saying this, but truthfully; I don't really care. When we addicts get down to the point where the rubber meets the road, there's only one way to lick an addiction (this is largely true for any addiction). You have to go Cold Turkey! If you will simply eliminate the sugar, carbs, and artificial sweeteners from your life, your cravings will dramatically subside, and eventually go away (usually within a matter of weeks). How has that whole "I'll just cut back a bit" thing been working for you so far? That's right. It doesn't. In fact, it constantly re-starts and feeds your cravings. If you are addicted to narcotics or alcohol you can’t simply just 'cut down' a bit. By cutting out all forms of sugar (starch, bread, pasta, OJ, fruit --- yeah, for many people fruit is one of those "substitutions" we dealt with earlier ---- artificial sweeteners, and almost anything that is processed), you actually allow your brain's chemistry to recalibrate itself. If you think you can 'dabble' with sugar / carbs and still kick the habit, you are fooling yourself.
- CHANGE YOUR DIET AND CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR BY EATING SMALL PROTEIN-BASED MEALS MORE OFTEN: For Pete's sake; it's practically 2014. Can we get over the FEAR OF DIETARY FAT thing already? Follow the advice on this bullet point and watch your cravings fly out the window. And as far as what sort of diet you need to be eating? You must do something that controls blood sugar! Although there are a ton of these out there, I recommend PALEO for the reasons listed in the posts you will find if you click on the link.
- START YOUR DAY THE RIGHT WAY: We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Start living it (HERE)!
- USE A GREENS PRODUCT: There are many of these out there. We use THIS ONE . Not necessarily because it's the best product on the market, but because it is a good product that does not taste like pond scum. These products are valuable for helping solve sugar / carb cravings, while providing some solid nutrition in the process.
- DON'T BE AFRAID TO EAT BIG: When FRED & DIANE HARMON recently returned to our home, she treated us all to an authentic, home-cooked, multi-course, Thai meal. It involved fresh ingredients, freshly ground herbs and spices (yes, she brought her own mortar and pestle), some lean meat, and copious amounts of fresh vegetables. You could literally gorge yourself on foods like this at every meal --- and still LOSE WEIGHT. Until you resolve the calorie myth, you will have problems dealing with sugar / carb addictions.
- NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS: This is where everyone wants to go first. Hey, it's the way our medically-propagandized brains work. It also happens to one of the biggest FAILED PROMISES of modern medicine. However, there is one supplement I recommend for helping you successfully accomplishing this endeavor. PGFO. Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil (not the junk from Mal Wart or the health food store) is excellent for helping with DEPRESSION, ADHD / ANXIETY, INFLAMMATION, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, symptoms of SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE, FIBROMYALGIA, UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR, AUTOIMMUNITY, as well as most ENDOCRINE and HORMONAL ISSUES. But please listen to me for a moment. As well as various supplements can work for some people, there is no substitute for a good diet. Read and follow the Paleo Posts above, and you will succeed in your quest to kick the sugar habit!
GARY TAUBES: GOOD CALORIES / BAD CALORIES, & WHY WE GET FAT
THE SUGAR / CANCER / OBESITY LINK
The study, done at the University of Minnesota's School of Public Health in Minneapolis, and published in the latest issue of Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, & Prevention, showed that the rate of estrogen-dependent Endometrial Cancer (cancer that forms in the tissue lining the uterus) nearly doubled (a whopping 78% increase) in women drinking four or more sweetened drinks a week (that would be one every other day). Listen to what Charles Bankhead wrote on this subject in Friday's issue of MedPage Today.
"Consumption of sugar-containing drinks has risen in parallel to the prevalence of obesity in the U. S., offering one potential explanation for sugar's association with endometrial cancer, which occurs disproportionately in obese women. In developed nations, obesity is associated with at least half of type I [estrogen-dependent] endometrial cancers. Epidemiologic studies have linked higher intake of sugar-sweetened drinks to higher risks of obesity and type 2 diabetes. Collectively, available evidence provides biologic plausibility for sugar-sweetened drink consumption as a contributing factor in endometrial cancer..... The finding that sugar-sweetened drinks might contribute to the most common type of endometrial cancer is not particularly surprising, given the cancer's association with obesity"
Listen folks; nearly ALL DISEASES start the same way. Once you begin to understand this, you can begin to understand why OBESITY is so intimately linked to so many different chronic illnesses, and why dietary changes are so critical to your regaining your health. What diet do I recommend? That's easy. For the vast majority of you; the PALEO DIET is the way to go. Don't simply shrug it off. Click on the link, do a little bit of research, and learn why going Paleo might not simply solve your weight issues, but your INFLAMMATORY HEALTH ISSUES as well.
WHAT CAUSES GOUT?
THE ANSWER MAY BE DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOUR DOCTOR TOLD YOU
The study, done by the Biochemistry Department of Otago University, for the New Zealand Rheumatology Association, showed that even if you have the "Gout-Protective" gene; Caucasians (white folk) who drank four SWEETENED BEVERAGES a day have a seven times greater (repeat; 7 times greater) chance of developing Gout than those who drank no sweetened beverages (yes; I do realize that this was a one sentence paragraph).
I personally know an individual who was put on Allopurinol to control severe recurrent Gout. After being left on the drug for the better part of a decade, he came down with partial kidney failure directly tied to the drug. Interestingly enough, this person was at one time, drinking 6-12 sodas a day ---- something that more of you than would care to admit, are likewise doing. If you are struggling with Gout, you'll definitely need to FIX YOUR DIET. But in the mean time, there are several studies that indicate COLD LASER THERAPY can be of help.
TRUE OR FALSE
SUGAR FEEDS CANCER?
Should you avoid sugar? Our expert says no. The website of renowned cancer hospital in Houston, Texas, MD Anderson
Fact: Sugar doesn't make cancer grow faster. All cells, including cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for energy. But giving more sugar to cancer cells doesn't speed their growth. Likewise, depriving cancer cells of sugar doesn't slow their growth. Mayo Clinic's website
MYTH: Cancer loves sugar. Many people with cancer wonder if they should stop eating sugar because they have heard sugar feeds cancer growth. However, there is no conclusive evidence that proves eating sugar will make cancer grow and spread more quickly. All cells in the body, both healthy cells and cancer cells, depend on sugar (glucose) to grow and function. However, providing cancer cells with sugar won't speed up their growth, just as cutting out sugar completely won’t slow down their growth. From Cancer.net
Traditional therapies, such as surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy, work. The evidence is the millions of cancer survivors in the United States today who are alive because of these therapies.... Moderation is key. As part of a balanced diet, sugar, salt, milk, coffee, tea, meat, and chocolate --- the foods the “Update” calls into question --- are all safe choices. The Website of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine as they refute a hoax email telling people that sugar feeds cancer
Did you realize that each and every day of your life is a full-blown battle with cancer? This is true whether you realize it or not. We all have cells, which, for any number of reasons, go rogue and become cancerous (HERE). Fortunately we have an Immune System that is so complex and amazing that it nearly defies description (HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE). Not that people should never have their cancer treated by mainstream medicine (desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures), but when we have mainstream medicine giving us the kind of information / advice found in the quotes above, it produces potentially dangerous (or even deadly) results ---- especially for America's tens of millions of raging SUGAR / CARB ADDICTS.
Fortunately there are lots of mainstream researchers whose research is tempered by common sense. The August 2009 issue of the medical journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, featured one such study. Doctor Don Ayer, a professor in the Department of Oncological Sciences, and researcher for the Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah, had this to say on the topic. "It's been known since 1923 that tumor cells use a lot more glucose than normal cells. Our research helps show how this process takes place, and how it might be stopped to control tumor growth". Truthfully, thanks to the brilliant German scientist, DR OTTO WARBURG, I could show you hundreds of similar statements from mainstream medicine (as well as why the KETOGENIC DIET is the hottest thing going as far as cancer diets are concerned). So why is it that some of the biggest and 'best' cancer treatment centers in America continue to spout off about sugar not being a concern as far as cancer is concerned? You already know the answer to this one. It's all about that green stuff that rhymes with honey.
Do not under any circumstances buy into the notion that sugar does not somehow feed cancer! Just the other day, a study was published in the August issue of Cell showing us one more reason to avoid the sugar bowl and cookie jar. Cancerous fruit flies put on a HIGH SUGAR DIET showed INSULIN RESISTANCE, tumors growing much larger than normal, as well as cancerous metastasis to multiple sites throughout the body. Lead researcher, Dr. Ross Cagan of New York City's Icahn / Mt. Sinai School of Medicine said, "Our study shows that sugar activates oncogenes in the tumor, which then promote insulin sensitivity, meaning that the exorbitant glucose levels in the blood pour into the tumor, having nowhere else to go in the insulin-resistant body." He went on to say that, "The tumors just went crazy. When the flies were on a normal diet the tumors could barely be seen, but as soon as the sugar was introduced they were everywhere". I don't care who you are; that's freaky, and it's knowledge you could be / should be leveraging whether you have cancer or not.
JACKING WITH BLOOD SUGAR does a host of bad things in your body. In fact, sugar and junk carb consumption is being linked to virtually every disease process facing modern man. So why should we be surprised when it comes to Cancer? This is doubly true in light of Dr. Otto Warburg's research. Remember him? He's the MD / Ph.D who won 1931's Nobel Prize for Medicine. What did he do to earn this prestigious honor? He figured out that sugar is Cancer's food-of-choice (the body ferments sugar for energy). It's why the latest research is touting ketogenic diets as not only cancer-protective, but cancer-starving if you've already been diagnosed.
If you are interested in preventing cancer, or are actively battling cancer, I would strongly suggest that you avoid sugar like the plague. A simple word of advice: Do not take any doctor's word for anything (including mine). With today's information technology at your fingertips, you no longer have to buy into the BS that the biggest names in the "Cancer Industry" are selling. If you are willing to step out of that box just a little bit, you'll increase your chances of living a long and productive life. To see a generic protocol for helping address chronic illness and chronic pain, via diminishing SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATION, take a look AT THIS POST.
HEALTH AND UNREGULATED BLOOD SUGAR
Our country's health is in the dump, and we can place a large segment of the blame smack dab in the middle of our collective inability to control our blood sugar (HERE). Although you may not have heard, this is because virtually every disease and health problem you can name is being tied back to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar in the peer-reviewed scientific research. In fact, just this morning I saw yet another study tying ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE to INSULIN RESISTANCE (FYI: I have actually seen Alzheimer's referred to as "Type III Diabetes"). The first thing that I want to do is to discuss the difference between blood sugar that is "controlled' (regulated) and uncontrolled (unregulated). Trust me; you need to grasp this point if you want any chance at being healthy your entire life.
Here in America, we have told people that they are not Diabetic until they have a Fasting Blood Glucose level of 126. Just be aware that there are all sorts of experts in the field (including Endocrinologists) who believe that this number is not only too high, but way too high. In other words, there are many experts who feel that Fasting Blood Sugar readings over 100 should actually be considered as Diabetes (optimal Fasting Blood Sugar would be in the 80-90 range) (HERE). This is probably why nearly half of all those who are diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, already have visible signs of Neuropathy (HERE) by the time that diagnosis becomes official and they cross that magical 125 marker. Just understand this; if you are regularly eating the wrong kinds of foods, you may think that you are getting away with it because you have not yet hit 126. You're not!
Although most of the medical community seems to be ignoring this information, there are a host of health problems and outright diseases that are being tied back to Unregulated Blood Sugar. Although I will not even try to create a comprehensive list here, I would like to give you just a few that I think you should know about. I would hope that your doctor has been informing you of this information as well.
- CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES: Here is a category that covers almost everything. All of the health problems listed in this link are heavily related to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar. The truth is, it is highly unlikely that you have any real idea what INFLAMMATION is (clue; it is not swelling). Curious? Just click on the link.
- PCOS: Although virtually all Endocrine (hormonal) problems are heavily related to Blood Sugar Dysregulation issues, this one takes the cake. POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME is the #1 female problem facing American women today. What causes it? Again, click on the link.
- OBESITY: Just a couple of weeks ago, we witnessed a huge battle within the medical community over whether or not OBESITY should be considered to be a "disease". I don't really care what you call it, 70% of Americans are overweight or obese (actually over 75% if you count those who are SKINNY FAT). The root cause of most obesity is simply Uncontrolled Blood Sugar.
- FIBROMYALGIA: What is FIBROMYALGIA? I promise you that it is not what your doctor has told you it is.
- DEPRESSION: DEPRESSION, along with ADD / ADHD, AUTISM , and a whole array of other mental health issues have been tied to problems with one's ability to regulate blood sugar.
- MANY OTHERS: ALLERGIES, many cases of HIGH CHOLESTEROL, DEGENERATIVE DISC or JOINT DISEASE, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully you are starting to see that controlling your blood sugar is foundational to a healthy lifestyle. Make sure to come back tomorrow for a really cool testimonial on this subject ---- complete with pictures
HOW TO WORK TOWARDS PROPER
BLOOD SUGAR REGULATION
(EVEN IF YOUR DOCTOR DOES NOT SEEM TOO WORRIED)
- EAT BREAKFAST: Mind you; the BREAKFAST you eat cannot be the usual American breakfast fare ---- waffles, pancakes, French Toast, OJ (the SUBSTITUTION of choice for many hardcore SUGAR ADDICTS), fried potatoes / hash browns, syrup, toast, sweet rolls or other pastries, donuts, etc, etc, etc. Plain and simple, eat a LOW CARB protein-based breakfast.
- AVOID FOODS THAT RAPIDLY RAISE (SPIKE) YOUR BLOOD SUGAR: This is a no-brainer. You should already be realizing that if you really want to control your blood sugar, you are going to have to avoid certain foods. of course, you will have to give up soda (yes, even the DIET SODA spikes insulin levels), as well as the obvious factors such as JUNK FOOD, chips, etc. However, there are many other foods that shoot your blood sugar through the roof without you being aware of the fact. White Potatoes are one. Grains are another. Still another is certain kinds of fruit. Dr. Atkins did not have everything correct back when he wrote his groundbreaking book in the early 1970's. But when compared to most of his peers (HERE), he now looks like a genius.
- GO GLUTEN FREE: Frankly, it's just a small leap from Low Carb to GLUTEN FREE / PALEO. However, make sure you go about it the right way. In other words, you cannot truly go Gluten Free unless you have a grasp of what GLUTEN CROSS-REACTORS are.
- WHEN YOU EAT CARBOHYDRATES, EAT THEM WITH PROTEIN: This is simple. If you are going to eat a banana (a true "Glucose Bomb"), make sure you eat it with a handful of almonds. The protein works to blunt the blood sugar 'spike'.
- EAT SEVERAL SMALL MEALS A DAY: Some would say that you need to be eating "three squares" with a small protein-based snack a few hours after each meal.
- UNDERSTAND THAT LOW BLOOD SUGAR AND HIGH BLOOD SUGAR ARE TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN: Some of you might be sitting there saying to yourself, "all of this information is all great for someone with high blood sugar. But I have low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). What am I supposed to do?" You can start by reading THIS.
- EXERCISE THE PROPER WAY: If you are addicted to spending hours slogging through a workout, READ THIS.
- UNDERSTAND THAT THERE BE OTHER UNDERLYING CAUSES OF YOUR HEALTH PROBLEMS(S): This is especially true if you have not been paying attention to your blood sugar for a very long time. You might have developed underlying problems such as LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, THYROID PROBLEMS, DYSBIOSIS, AUTOIMMUNITY, and a whole host of others (HERE). Yes; you'll have to deal with those if they are present. But, no matter what your problem is, a great starting point is controlling your blood sugar. For more information on this topic, read this TWO PART SERIES on the subject.
PICK YOUR POISON
The thing to understand is that Dr. Seaman's article is not written from a condescending point of view --- a view that would say since you are addicted to sugar, he is better than you. It is written from the viewpoint of someone who has learned what it takes to crush the cravings that plague those of us with sugar addictions (his junk of choice was candy corn, Snickers bars, marzipan, Twinkies, cinnamon toast, donuts, ice cream and Whoppers from Burger King). I get what he is saying because in this regard, I am him. That's right; my name is Russ and I am a sugarholic. I can relate to Dr. David because if I let myself, I could easily fall right back into the cycle of sugar addiction / craving / sugar addiction / craving / repeat ad infinitum (HERE). And all of you who have ever spun around in circles on this crazy cycle know how hard it can be to get off of it ---- and how easy it can be to climb right back on and start spinning again. Seaman's says that....
I would argue that careful moderation when it comes to these "crackhead" foods is reasonable. Otherwise, the use of the term moderation is really how out-of-control dessert and fast-food "crackheads" rationalize their behavior, which includes a very "moderate" intake of vegetables and fruit that often excludes green vegetables.
Not surprisingly, the data is very clear that inadequate sleep and stress increase the release of the hunger hormone ghrelin that propels us toward food reward. When this happens, it is a good idea to exercise or get very engaged physically with cleaning or yardwork, which has an appetite-suppressing effect and a limbic system-reward effect. Reward refers to anything from which we get pleasure.
Researchers have identified that humans and animals have a withdrawal experience when not consuming sugar, which is not unlike opiate withdrawal. People actually suffer just thinking about never again eating a sugary, floury, fatty dessert. This is actually a very good way to test yourself to identify the aggressiveness of your own personal dietary "crackhead."
SUGARY DRINKS ARE A WORLDWIDE PROBLEM
While the AHA recommends a maximum of 450 calories a week from sugary drinks, much of the world is following America's lead and going beyond that ---- far beyond that. In fact, I saw a recent study touting the fact that the number one source of calories for American teens was soda (HERE). Here are some other "Fun Facts" concerning American consumption of soda and other sugary drinks that come from this and other studies.
- About 10% of our nation's calories are coming from soda and sugary drinks.
- 5% of the American population over two years old is consuming at least 48 oz of soda or sugary drinks per day.
- The Institute of Medicine recommends that a maximum of 25 percent of our calories should come from added sugar (one more reason you cannot trust the government to keep you healthy).
- According to a 2010 study published in JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association), 1 in 6 Americans is surpassing the 25% mark.
- Cal State Davis published, in a 2011 issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, that just two weeks of exceeding the 25% added-sugar limit using HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) as the source of sugar, dramatically increased cholesterol, triglycerides, and other markers of cardiovascular disease.
- In 1977 and 1978, boys drank over double the amount of milk as compared to soft drinks (at my house it was probably 25 times that), and girls 50 percent more milk than soft drinks. By 1994–96, boys and girls were drinking over double the amount of soda as milk.
- Soda and sugar are both associated with lower intake of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Numerous studies show proof that soda and sugary drinks are directly related to weight gain, overweight, and obesity, which puts people at risk for Type II Diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, and cancer ---- all of which continue to be seen in younger and younger populations.
- Soda is a known cause of OSTEOPOROSIS and contributes to kidney stones.
- I could go on and on and on.
Interestingly enough, several governmental organizations are telling citizens to cut the sugar by consuming "Diet Soda". With what we now know about Aspartame (NutraSweet), how beneficial can this be? Not only is this stuff bad in every conceivable manner, it actually causes more weight gain than normal soda (HERE) It seems that people are very confused these days. They are SWAPPING SUGAR FOR MORE SUGAR and assuming that juice-like drinks or "Sports Drinks" must be good for them because they made people like Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning, and Mia Hamm, what they are today. Get kids hooked, and they're too often HOOKED FOR LIFE.
SUBSTITUTING ONE SOURCE OF SUGAR FOR ANOTHER SOURCE OF SUGAR IN THE NAME OF HEALTH
"THE SUBSTITUTION GAME"
The 12 ounce can of "unhealthy" Coke has 39 grams of SUGAR in it. The 8 ounce glass of "healthy" orange juice has a whopping 25 grams of sugar. This would put it at just over 31 grams for 12 ounces. Crazy, isn't it? The OJ has about 80% of the sugar content that a soda does. And although "fresh squeezed" OJ is good for you, commercial OJ (whether it comes from concentrate or not) has been chemically treated and pasteurized. These process kill heat-sensitive enzymes and vitamins leaving you with ---- sugar. And because people so often believe that their substitutions are healthy, they end up consuming far more than they would of had they stuck with their original food (in this case, soda).
SUGAR ADDICTION & SUGAR SUBSTITUTION
(Two Sides of the Same Coin)
People fool themselves with all sorts of crazy "substitution" schemes. One of the biggies is fruit. People frequently tell me that they have fruit for breakfast. Unfortunately, many fruits are extremely high on the Glycemic Index. The Glycemic Index is a chart that tells you how quickly starchy or sugary foods (carbohydrates) are broken down to glucose --- the only sugar your body can ultimately convert into energy. Foods that have a listing closer to 100 are considered high Glycemic Index foods. Because these foods are broken down into glucose very quickly, they result in a sharp "spike" in blood insulin levels as well as DOZENS OF SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEMS associated with this process. If many people have problems eating certain kinds of fruit, you can imagine the insulin dump taking place after consuming many of America's traditional breakfast foods (cereal, toast and jelly, pancakes, waffles, syrup, B&G --- the Ozarker's Breakfast of Champions ---- croissants, sweet rolls, cinnamon rolls, etc, etc, on and on and on). There is nothing like starting your day with a heavy dose of INSULIN.
Unfortunately, too many Americans cannot give up their sugar. This is because for many people (particularly women with ENDOCRINE / HORMONE issues or FIBROMYALGIA) sugar is like heroin or cocaine --- highly addictive (HERE). People sometimes realize that they are addicted to certain things (soda, for instance) and vow to get off of it. So instead of really getting off the sugar, they quit drinking soda. But in its place they drink a half gallon of OJ. Or maybe they're drinking lemonade. Or sweet tea. Or Gatorade. Although these may better than drinking soda; they're certainly not much better. And typically, the group of people engaging in this "substitutionary" behavior will do anything ---- and I do mean anything ---- to get their sugar fix! If you have ever spent time around an addict, you already know that their excuses will flow in a veritable avalanche.
So; if you have realized just how smart it is to control your blood sugar by eating in a LOW CARB fashion, stick with it. Don't fool yourself with substitution scams (latte-frapachino for fresh roasted coffee). Eat healthy and the rewards will be great! If, as you step on the scale, you think that because you are seemingly getting away with your poor eating habits (HERE), just remember ---- you will not get away with them forever. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Come back tomorrow because fooling yourself with food is the topic.
60 MINUTES INTERVIEWS ROBERT LUSTIG ON SUGAR & PROCESSED CARBOHYDRATES
Lustig obtained his bachelors degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1976, and received his M.D. from Cornell University Medical College in 1980. From there, he spent six years as a research associate in neuroendocrinology at The Rockefeller University. He performed his pediatric residency at St. Louis Children's Hospital, and his clinical fellowship at University of California San Francisco which he joined in 1984. He has authored over 85 research articles and 45 book chapters. He is the former Chairman of the Obesity Task Force of the Pediatric Endocrine Society, a member of the Obesity Task force of The Endocrine Society, and on the Steering Committee of the International Endocrine Alliance to Combat Obesity. On May 26, 2009, Lustig gave a lecture called “Sugar: The Bitter Truth”, which is posted on YouTube. The video has gone viral.
SUGAR: THE BITTER TRUTH
VIDEO COURTESY OF UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA (UCTV)
- Fructose causes high uric acid levels, that lead to both High Blood Pressure and gout. I blogged about this (HERE) almost a year ago.
- Fructose causes your liver to synthesize fats, which leads to high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and heart disease.
- Fructose causes Insulin Resistance (high levels of blood sugar and insulin simultaneously), which in turn causes Type II Diabetes --- a problem now being seen in grade school children.
- Fructose increases fat deposits in the liver. The number one cause of fatty liver and Cirrhosis is not alcohol abuse ---- it's sugar consumption.
- Unlike other foods, Fructose does not reduce the hunger hormone ghrelin. Ghrelin by way of affecting both insulin and the hormone leptin, tells the brain to stop eating. No Ghrelin, and you keep on eating ----- fructose.
- Fructose feeds cancer. Although the 60 Minutes interviewer oooohed and ahhhhhhed over the research on this topic, it has been common knowledge for decades. Simply do a Google search on "SUGAR FEEDS CANCER" and see what comes up. I promise you'll be freaked out --- even though the medical community is doing their best to bury this information.
By any measure, Americans consume a lot of sugar. Even the conservative estimates say that Americans are eating between 1/3 and 1/2 lb of sugar per person per day, with no end in sight. One of my most popular blog posts ever was on this very topic; unbridled sugar consumption and the affect of uncontrolled blood sugar on our health. It is the transcript of a talk that I delivered to our local Rotary club about six months ago ----- a short, two part series called, THE NUMBER ONE HEALTH PROBLEM IN AMERICA TODAY. If you are interested in getting off the sugar, go back and click on the link just below Dr. Lustig's video.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration