SCAR TISSUE OR FIBROSIS?
"Scar Tissue is normal tissue that has undergone derangement on virtually every level." Dr. Russell Schierling
- STRUCTURALLY: Look at the pictures above and you'll quickly notice how the individual tissue fibers in Scar Tissue do not align themselves with each other in an organized and symmetrical pattern. Instead, the fibers run every possible direction ---- in all three dimensions, and ifs often going on at a microscopic level that's impossible to visualize with standardized testing (HERE). This structural difference creates microscopic clumps, adhesions, and restrictions, that are also dramatically different from normal tissue.....
- MECHANICALLY: Not only is Scar Tissue different structurally, it is different mechanically (functionally) as well. Where normal tissue is stretchy and elastic, Scar Tissue tends to be stiffer and far more rigid (sometimes it is more like a non-elastic clump), always being referred to in the scientific literature as "THICKENED". This means that any joint or area that is surrounded at all by Scar Tissue will on some level move worse or less (HERE). The problem with loss of motion in joints is that not only is this a huge cause of Chronic Pain, it is the known cause of DEGENERATION as well. And as if that were not enough; Scar Tissue is also significantly weaker than normal tissue, meaning that it is far easier to re-injure ---- and re-injure --- and re-injure ---- and re-injure. Because Scar Tissue is so different structurally and mechanically, it stands to reason that it would also be different..........
- ELECTRICALLY: When compared to normal tissue, Scar Tissue is also different electrically. If you go to our CHRONIC PAIN page, you can see some pictures that help to explain this phenomenon. Just understand that according to one of the world's foremost experts on the subject (DR. CHAN GUNN), Scar Tissue can be more than 1,000 times more pain-sensitive than normal tissue. Once you realize that fascia transmits messages in similar fashion to the nervous system (HERE), you can start to see other reasons besides the obvious that this could be devastating. Hang on because there is still at least one more major way that Scar Tissue is different from normal tissue. It is different......
- METABOLICALLY: Scar Tissue is different than normal tissue metabolically, meaning that it's much more poorly oxygenated. Along similar lines, nor does it receive nutrition, hydration, or fluid lubrication as well as it should. This probably has to do with the fact that even though there is a blood supply to Scar Tissue (it is, after all, living tissue), the blood supply is not nearly as good as it should otherwise be. This also means that it may make it difficult (or impossible) to heal Scar Tissue without first having it THERAPEUTICALLY "BROKEN". By the way, this is why I will occasionally put severe patients on OXYGEN THERAPY while I am doing SCAR TISSUE REMODELING.
As you can see, Scar Tissue is dramatically different than normal tissue on almost every conceivable level. Now let's add to this the fact that much ---- if not most --- of the Scar Tissue that plagues people on a day to day basis is in the FASCIA. Throw in the fact that Fascia cannot be seen with current MRI technology, and it makes for the PERFECT STORM of Chronic Pain. Ultimately, Scar Tissue can cause numerous CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES that all too often leave doctors scratching their heads, accusing patients of malingering, being drug seekers, or both.
The really cool thing though, is that for many of you reading this there is hope. SCAR TISSUE REMODELING is a great way to effectively deal with many of the problems mentioned throughout this post. This becomes an almost "Code Red" situation once you understand that the INFLAMED LIFESTYLE you've been living is either causing or heavily contributing to your problem (HERE). If you feel that Scar Tissue might be part of your Chronic Pain issue, I would suggest you take a few moments to learn more by watching some of our VIDEO TESTIMONIALS. Also be sure and show us some love on FACEBOOK because when you like, share, or follow, you reach the people you love and care about most.
SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL OR SCAR TISSUE REMODEL?
Interestingly enough, I have had several patients who were frustrated because they Googled "Scar Tissue Removal" and could not find us. This is because I am not in the business of Scar Tissue Removal, I am in the business of Scar Tissue Remodeling. The difference is as significant as the difference between the above pictures.
- SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL: With Scar Tissue Removal, a doctor (M.D. / D.O.) is going to use a knife or Class IV Laser to "remove" (cut out / burn away) Scar Tissue. Most of the time, this sort of Scar Tissue does show up on CT or MRI. You will frequently see it referred to as "adhesions", and is very often post-surgical. The problem with cutting away scar tissue in an attempt to "remove" it, is that it grows back. And guess what it is replaced with? That's right --- more of the same. More Scar Tissue! This is why Scar Tissue Removal is a tricky proposition that so often fails over the long term.
- SCAR TISSUE REMODELING: As opposed to Scar Tissue Removal, Scar Tissue Remodeling is not about actually attempting to get rid of the Scar Tissue. Instead, the scarred area is broken down by me so that it can be remodeled by you. In other words, the scar itself is not "removed" but is instead "remodeled" so that it becomes more functional. If you want to really understand this process, you need to visit our FASCIAL ADHESION PAGE.
Scar Tissue is weaker, less elastic, and up to 1,000 times more pain sensitive than normal tissue. It is a prime culprit in numerous CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES as well as DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS. Oh, and unlike the gross adhesions seen in Scar Tissue Removal, much of the Scar Tissue Remodeling I do is performed on people who have had one or more MRI's, and not learned a thing from them. In other words, the kind of Scar Tissue that I deal with on a day-to-day basis does not show up on CT or MRI.
If it is Scar Tissue Removal you are after, you need to find a really good surgeon who is up on the very latest technology and techniques (for instance, with Endometriosis, wrapping adhesed areas in disolvable "Proteolytic Enzyme Wraps" is showing some promise). If it is Scar Tissue Remodeling you want, call Cheryl at 417-934-6337 to schedule a consultation today.
DOES TISSUE REMODELING WORK ON
YOU BET IT CAN!
Despite everything Michelle had done, she had been struggling with increasingly severe Chronic Pain for the past seventeen years. Just before Christmas break, I fixed a long-standing PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME in Michelle's sister, who referred her in shortly after that for Chronic Pain caused by post-surgical scar tissue. Although the TISSUE REMODELING does not work for patients who have been burned (I've tried), it frequently works wonders on certain kinds of post-surgical scarring. Michelle is one such example.
After slowly leaking infection for who-knows-how-long, Michelle's appendix completely ruptured just three months into her first pregnancy --- over 17 years ago. Told that his wife had only thirty minutes to live without extreme intervention, her husband signed a waiver saying that he wanted his wife saved ----- at the expense of her unborn child if it came to that. Fortunately, doctors managed to save them both.
They actually took her tiny son (3.5 inches long, 2 oz) out of her womb and held him in their hands while they cleaned the pus and gangrene from inside of her. Needless to say, even though Michelle and her son were both alive, she ended up with a huge amount of scar tissue as well as several massive surgical scars on her abdomen. Listen to Michelle tell the incredible story of her miracle baby (a young man who has been called to ministry), her journey through Chronic Pain, and God leading her to a solution in tiny Mountain View, Missouri.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration