LOOKING TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST AND GET HEALTHY IN THE PROCESS? TRY THE PALEO / KETO / INTERMITTENT FASTING COMBORead Now
WEIGHT LOSS? CHRONIC HEALTH CONDITIONS OR AUTOIMMUNITY?
"DASH's final results appear in the April 17, 1997 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine. The results show that the DASH "combination diet" lowered blood pressure and, so, may help prevent and control high blood pressure." From the National Institute of Health's website, filed under 'The DASH Diet'.
Look at the old Food Pyramid --- a way of eating that was originally called "The Diabetes Diet" (that's right --- this is essentially what they were recommending for those with Diabetes before coming to the conclusion that it was causing what it was supposed to prevent). This has been taken over by several government-approved diets, with the latest and greatest being the DASH Diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) ---- a diet that claims to be "moderately high" in protein.
How problematic is this Food Pyramid "Replacement Diet"? Try this on for size. The National Institutes of Health website; filed under a sample menu for the DASH Diet, says to eat 7-8 servings of grains a day (Unfortunately, these were the original recommendations --- the current recommendations by DASH as of the original date of this post advised us to eat "6-12" servings of grains a day). The site also provided a sample breakfast --- I'm not making this up (if I'm lyin I'm dyin).
- ORANGE JUICE: This is what you give a diabetic whose blood sugar has gone too low, so you can raise it fast (HERE).
- CORN FLAKES / SUGAR ON TOP: Not only is this stuff heavily processed, corn is what you feed pigs and cattle if you want to fatten them rapidly. As for the sugar; do I even need to say anything?
- BREAD WITH MARGARINE & JELLY: Nothing like some high Glycemic Index, Gluten-stoked carbs to start your day. As for suggesting TRANS FATS over REAL BUTTER, this is almost unbelievable in this day and age. Almost.
- BANANA: A banana is a 100 calorie glucose bomb. If there is a higher Glycemic Index fruit you could eat, I am not sure what it is. Although I love bananas and could eat a dozen a day if you let me, I have learned that I can only eat them on rare occasions because I can pack on the pounds with bananas just like I were eating white potatoes --- which have a higher Glycemic Index rating than table sugar.
- LOW FAT MILK: MILK is the stuff that has been heavily processed, pasteurized, homogenized, and loaded with both Antibiotics and Hormones. It also happens to be one of the most potentially allergenic foods of the list, as well as being a Gluten Cross-Reactor (more in a moment).
This is a prime example of why you simply can't trust the government with your health. The truth is, NONE OF THE FOOD PYRAMIDS have changed much in the past thirty years, largely remaining based on grains (HERE). These are the perfect diets for solving Diabetes. If you are a physician looking for job security. Or a drug company. Or a mortician. However, if you are a person who is trying to control your blood sugar WITHOUT INEFFECTIVE DIABETES DRUGS, you might be in trouble on this diet ---- serious trouble.
Why do I mention things like Gluten and Blood Sugar along with a diet to control Chronic Pain? Only because dealing with these two things must be the cornerstone of any diet designed to help those struggling not only with CHRONIC PAIN, but with WEIGHT ISSUES, NEURO-DEGENERATIVE CONDITIONS, AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, and most CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY CONDITIONS as well.
The diet I recommend that most people follow is one of the almost endless versions of the PALEO DIET. Just click on the link to see why it works for most people's individual situations. Beyond eating correctly, there are a few simple concepts you must understand as far as getting healthy is concerned. Below are a few of the posts you can thumb through if you are interested in learning more about helping yourself get out from under the boulder of Chronic Pain and / or Chronic Illness.
- ANTIBIOTICS: I start with ANTIBIOTICS because Antibiotics are the number one factor that destroy America's collective GUT HEALTH. According to research that is now almost two decades old, 80% OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM is found in the Digestive Tract --- mostly in the form of bacteria that live there. Once you destroy the body's natural terrain / bacterial flora (also called the MICROBIOME or MICROBIOTA), the pathological bacteria begin to take over. This is called DYSBIOSIS, and is absurdly common here in America. In Europe, physicians are actually treating people who have AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (successfully, I might add) with "FECES TRANSPLANTS" otherwise known as FMT's or Fecal Microbiota Transplants). Research also shows that people who were not BREAST FED have a much tougher time restoring and maintaining their normal Gut Flora. By the way, when you eat a Paleo Diet, you are cutting not only the Antibiotics out of your diet, but the XENOHORMONES as well.
- GLUTEN: Just the other day, I told you yet again that once the body starts creating Immune System responses to Gluten, it frequently starts to make them against itself (HERE). This is called Autoimmunity, and there are hundreds (probably thousands) of known Autoimmune Diseases (HERE is a list of some of them). For the record, Autoimmunity is always associated with LEAKY GUT SYNDROME. Furthermore, I have repeatedly said that there is a right way and a wrong way to go "GLUTEN FREE". Read the post and you will understand why going about it in a stepwise fashion is so important. And although we tend to associate Gluten with GI symptoms (gas, bloating, cramping, IBS, etc), the truth is that somewhere between 60 - 80% of all symptoms of Gluten Sensitivity are NEUROLOGICAL, and definitely have the ability to cause CHRONIC PAIN. On top of this, if people are being told anything at all about Gluten, it is simply to "cut back". Follow THIS LINK to see why just cutting back is a recipe for failure. In the same post, you can also read about why Gluten --- a biblical food ---- has become such a problem. Oh; and as for the "GLUTEN-FREE STUFF" you are buying at the grocery store? Knock it off already!
- BLOOD SUGAR: I treated a medical doctor two days ago for a chronic case of PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME. This person works mostly in the medical research field --- particularly in the arena of Blood Sugar. He talked about something I have told you several times before. He said that the vast majority of diseases can be tied back to UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR in some form or fashion. This is true even if you have not yet been "officially" diagnosed with DIABETES (yesterday I saw a person who had recently undergone a "Diabetes-related" amputation, even though their Blood Sugar levels were under that magical 125). Make an effort to understand how INSULIN RESISTANCE (pre-Diabetes) works, and you'll be ahead of the game. The thing is, if you don't seriously work at controlling your blood sugar, you'll end up paying the price with everything from CANCER, to OBESITY, to an INABILITY TO SLEEP, to an INABILITY TO HAVE OR WANT SEX, ALZHEIMER'S, ADDICTIONS, and Chronic Illnesses of every size, shape, and color. And these are the tip of the iceberg. The "D's" of Chronic Pain (HERE) are sure to follow.
The fantastic thing is that the foundation for beginning the healing process for all of these diverse situations is essentially the same (HERE). Sure; you can follow our government's advice and go with the DASH Diet or something similar. Or you can cut out the potentially reactive foods, control your blood sugar, and watch what happens to your weight and your health ---- not to mention your pain.
WHY PALEO IS THE BEST DIET FOR
MOST CHRONIC HEALTH CONDITIONS
If you have spent significant time on my website, you may have picked up on the fact that most disease processes start with an inability of people to control their blood sugar ---- regardless of their readings. We shouldn't be surprised. Here in America, we are being buried underneath a mountain of SUGAR. When you spend as much time as I do combing through peer-reviewed literature, you start to see a pattern ---- almost every disease you can name has serious ties to UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR. This is true even for those who do not have full-blown Diabetes (HERE). The Paleo Diet is so effective because nothing is better at helping you control your blood sugar. But that's not all. The Paleo Diet cuts the most potentially reactive foods from your diet so that your Immune System cannot make antibodies against them.
The two most common foods that would fall into the "reactive" category are easy to name. Wheat (GLUTEN) and dairy. For many reasons (HERE are a few of them), today's foods (particularly true of with grains) are very different from the foods that were eaten by our great grandparents. Today, nearly everything is pasteurized, homogenized, GMO'ed, loaded with ANTIBIOTICS and HORMONES; and that's just for starters. The Blood Sugar / Gluten connection has been shown to be an important factor in virtually all AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (HERE is a list), ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, PARKINSON'S DISEASE, NEUROPATHY, MIGRAINE HEADACHES, DEPRESSION, Seizures, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, and a host of other Neuro-degenerative Diseases. If you want to begin understanding how all of this works together, just take a moment to read THIS POST.
Because the Paleo Diet is a vegetation-based diet, it has the ability to provide detox power to your system on a daily basis. The problems related to chemical toxicity as well as ESTROGEN DOMINANCE will be helped by a Paleo Diet just because it provides the raw materials to restore / refurbish the P-450 Cytochrome System (HERE). This is the way that your body gets rid of all chemicals, whether it is DRUGS (pushed or prescribed), Estrogen or synthetic estrogens, MSG, ASPARTAME, pesticides, herbicides, or heaven-only-knows what else.
The cool thing about the Paleo Diet is that it calms down and sometimes c _ _ _ _ (even if it does so, the FDA says that I could never use the word "cures" here) INFLAMMATORY PROCESSES that run rampant throughout the body. As I have contended before, I am not sure that one in a thousand people (many healthcare providers included) really understand what Inflammation is, or its widespread effects on health. Although things like Gluten, Uncontrolled Blood Sugar, TRANS FATS, and a whole host of others may get the credit, they do their dirty work via the process we call Inflammation. If you are chronically ill, chronically sick, or chronically OVERWEIGHT, you need to understand Inflammation.
I hear person after person tell me that they can't get healthy because they are too sick (or fat) to exercise. Forget the exercise for now. Health is probably at least 90% diet. Start eating the right way and watch your health dramatically improve --- even without exercise! If you want to get a better picture of the way that Gluten and Blood Sugar are related to sickness and disease in general, just follow THIS LINK.
ANOTHER PALEO 'PROOF'
AN INTERESTING TAKE ON THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE PALEO DIET
Anecdotal evidence is not a bad thing, but it is not the proverbial 'gold standard' of medical research (blind, double-blind, placebo controlled). Not that this really matters most of the time (HERE), but it sounds good in theory. Today, I want to share two fascinating stories with you ---- stories that stuck in my mind, but did not make sense to me initially. However, after mulling them over in my mind for a number of years, they both make a heck of a lot of sense in light of what I have learned during that time. The first has to do with one of our local school principals.
LOREN SMITH (a local CURRENT RIVER kind of guy) had talked to me a number of years ago about his experience with the Master's Cleanse (aka, the lemonade cleanse). The cleanse is simple; relying on lemonade made with freshly-squeezed organic lemons, "seasoned" with cayenne pepper (to tolerance), and sweetened with a bit of grade B maple syrup. The theory is that 10 days of this (along with a glass of salt water in the morning) will help you to slough off the mucoid plaques that progressively coat the intestinal walls due to the SAD (Standard American Diet). Loren told me that every time he did the cleanse, within a couple days of starting, all his aches and pains from years of sports and hard work would simply vanish. I myself noticed the same thing on the occasions that I have done the cleanse (even though I have done several cleanses, I still prefer the Master's Cleanse over anything from the health food store). The second piece of evidence has to do with something I have witnessed on several occasions.
Chronically sick patients (particularly those with Inflammatory Bowel Diseases or IBS) will often improve simply from going in for a test (upper GI, lower GI, MRI, etc). The thing that's sort of interesting about this is that it's not like these people are being treated in any form or fashion. They are simply being tested (some of these tests require them not to eat for as long as 24 hours) --- and will often report short-term improvement on the heels of these tests. What gives?
When people with chronic illness or CHRONIC PAIN stop eating foods that they are having Immune System reactions to (GLUTEN and SUGAR are two common ones), the body slows down the INFLAMMATION, and the GUT BECOMES LESS LEAKY. The resulting 'squelching' of the body's Inflammatory Response frequently means a subsequent 'squelching' of AUTOIMMUNE RESPONSES. It only makes sense when you understand what a Paleo Diet really is, and how it works (HERE). Other diets (VEGAN for instance), have the potential to do the same thing. Although some people can get good results following a grain-free vegan diet, many people fail (or even deteriorate) due to a lack of quality protein. If you want to learn more about dealing with chronic illness and / or WEIGHT LOSS (whichever you need), read the book I should have written, IT STARTS WITH FOOD.
WHY IT'S NEVER A GOOD IDEA WITH AN ELIMINATION DIET
To do this diet correctly; for the first 30 days you cannot cheat --- at all. The reason is simple. Foods that people are sensitive to (Gluten for instance) have the ability not only to cause Neurological Problems, but they can cause Inflammatory and Autoimmune Reactions at amounts as low as 20 parts per million (ppm). This means that every time you cheat, there is a high probability that you are firing up your Immune System and creating an antigen / antibody response ---- something that may take several days (or longer) to work through. Dr. Russell Schierling
Virtually all disease processes (even many of those that we like to blame on "BAD GENES") start in SIMILAR FASHION. You are likely reading this post because you have heard about some of the potential ADVANTAGES OF GOING PALEO, and are ready to try it yourself to see if it could help you. But the truth is, you don't really know how or where to start. How in the world do you implement the program? What do you eat? What about snacks? What about recipes? How long does it take to see results? Most people thinking about going "Paleo" have about a million questions. Although I have written numerous articles on this particular topic, there is an inexpensive, easy-to-understand book that I recommend you get and read from cover to cover.
An Elimination Diet, as defined by a popular online dictionary involves, "entirely removing suspected foods from the diet for a period of time from two weeks to two months, and waiting to determine whether symptoms resolve during that time period". These foods are then added back, one-at-a-time, every few days, in order to precisely determine which food(s) produce adverse reactions. Although I do believe that in many cases, two weeks is enough time to provide the desired changes, this is not always the case. To make sure you do not miss anything, I recommend "The Whole 30" --- the thirty day Elimination Diet described in IT STARTS WITH FOOD.
WHEN IS IT OK TO CHEAT?
When your body makes Antibodies against an offending invader (a bacteria or virus), it files the blueprint away in a computer-like memory bank. This is why with most diseases (measles, mumps, whooping cough, chicken pox, etc), you only get them once (the common cold is caused by a virus that is constantly mutating, negating the effects of "Antibody Memory"). In other words, with many different invaders, your Immune System can recall whether it has created antibodies against it already, or not. Unfortunately, many people's bodies perceive certain foods as invaders. When this happens it creates Antibody Immune Responses against these foods. Since it's so common, let's use GLUTEN --- wheat protein --- as our example. As crazy as it sounds, these immune responses can take place with a trigger as low as 20 parts-per-million (PPM). In other words, if you are sensitive to it, the next time you eat Gluten, your body will remember this fact and react against this perceived "invader". What does this mean in practical terms?
It means that if you are on a PALEO DIET solely for weight loss / weight maintenance, the occasional CHEAT DAY is probably not a deal-breaker for you. Don't get me wrong; for some people in WEIGHT LOSS MODE, it can be problematic --- very problematic. This is particularly true of those who are really struggling with BLOOD SUGAR DYSREGULATION (including HYPOGLYCEMIA) and / or SUGAR / CARB ADDICTIONS. Give these people a taste of SUGAR / STARCH, and they become s stark-raving lunatic in search of their next fix (also true of those individuals who have Gluto-morphin or Caseio-morphin addictions to the fragments of Gluten or Milk protein that binds to morphine receptors --- HERE).
However, if you are eating a Paleo Diet because you have figured out that you are Gluten Sensitive (or sensitive to other foods or food additives such as dairy, MSG, nitrates / nitrites, etc), cheating can be a huge deal ---- particularly during the first month (the "Elimination" phase). The whole purpose of the Elimination Phase is to calm your Immune System down by totally removing reactive foods from your diet. If you cheat during this period, not only will you lose perspective concerning where you really are in the process; if you do fire off a reaction, it will likely take anywhere from 2-5 days for your Immune System to settle down and purge the Antibodies / Inflammation out of your system. In other words, breaking down and eating that bagel on day 12 probably threw a huge wrench in the machine.
YOU CAN DO THIS!
I've known Wendy for several years, and her husband Steve even longer than that. When Steve was complaining about CHRONIC GOUT earlier in the year, I suggested he read "It Starts With Food". He got the E-version for his Kindle (ten bucks), changed his diet, and soon began to see some amazing changes not only in his gout, but in his overall health. Getting Wendy to buy in was a bit tougher. But after reading the book, she wanted to give it a whirl herself. Determined to do it the right way, once she was in, she was all in.
When people ask me what the best form of exercise is, I always tell them that the most critical thing that you can do exercise-wise, is to eat properly. In other words, the foods you consume are infinitely more important that YOUR EXERCISE ROUTINE. Unfortunately, most people have no idea what "properly" really means when it comes to diet.
Wendy had been trying to loose a few pounds and get in shape for a number of years --- and in some ways had made some progress. But the harsh reality was, she had been literally killing herself (both physically and time-wise) with a wide variety of exercise, including Zumba, with little to show for it, considering the time, effort, energy, and money she was pouring in. Via following a strict Paleo Diet, Wendy turned the corner. Not only has she lost those extra pounds (mostly in the BELLY), she has licked some life-long health problems ---- in just a few short months. Listen as Wendy describes some of the changes that going Paleo has made in her life. Thanks a ton Wendy. You and Steve are knocking it out of the park ---- way out of the park! I promise that lives will be changed because of this video.
WHY I RECOMMEND PALEO FOR
NEARLY ALL MY PATIENTS
- CONTROLS BLOOD SUGAR: I have written extensively about BLOOD SUGAR and why it is so critical that it be STRICTLY CONTROLLED ---- hopefully before you are diagnosed with Diabetes (HERE). The truth is, almost every health problem that you can name has origins in Uncontrolled Blood Sugar. The thing you have to remember is that by the time your blood sugar readings actually show that it is uncontrolled, you are probably many years down the path of Chronic Illness (HERE is an example of this phenomenon). Control blood sugar, and the rest will begin to fall into place. Just remember that Diabetes is not necessarily a "blood sugar" problem (HERE).
- CONTROLS WEIGHT: If you want to control your weight, you are first going to have to get a handle on your blood sugar. If you are truly controlling your blood sugar (see the previous link), and are still having problems with your weight, you are either eating something that your body is reacting to (see next bullet), or your GUT is fouled up (maybe both).
- LESS REACTIVE: There are certain foods / food groups that people have a propensity for having immune responses to. In other words, if your body sees certain food-based proteins as foreign (many times this is because you have a LEAKY GUT), you will react to them. When your body reacts, it begins to mount an Immune System attack against these foods (it creates antibodies and attacks them). The two most common Food Sensitivities? GLUTEN and DAIRY (dairy is one of about 45 Gluten Cross-Reactors). These Immune System Responses to certain foods, are known to be a significant factor in developing AUTOIMMUNITY. By the way, all GRAINS (along with any number of other foods) are considered to be "Gluten Cross Reactors. This is why when you do your ELIMINATION DIET, you'll need to do it in a very specific, step-wise manner.
- LESS INFLAMMATORY: When you are cutting SUGAR, CHEMICALS, and Reactive Foods out of your diet, you ultimately end up with far less Inflammation. When it comes to Chronic Illness, you must remember that INFLAMMATION is the driving force behind the vast majority --- even most of those you have had pounded into your head are "GENETIC". Unfortunately, few people have any real idea what Inflammation is, even though the word is bantered around constantly (hint: it is not swelling or infection). It's interesting to note that Dr. David Seaman's ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET is suspiciously similar to Paleo.
- ADEQUATE PROTEIN: The truth is, a Vegan diet (if done correctly) can accomplish all of the previous things on the list. The one big thing, however, that a VEGAN DIET lacks, is the ability to provide adequate protein intake, particularly for those struggling with chronic conditions or chronic pain. I am certainly not saying that it cannot be done, but it is much tougher to get ample amounts of high grade protein from a Vegan Diet.
When you deal with chronically ill, inflamed, and obese people on a daily basis, you quickly figure out what works and what doesn't. PALEO WORKS! And if you are simply looking to maintain good health, don't wait until you are sick to try this way of eating. There are numerous great sources of free info online, or you could click on the first link at the top of the page.
BOOK REVIEW: IT STARTS WITH FOOD
He and his wife were on a vacation not too long ago, and fortunately for him, someone had told him that following the advice in this book would change his life --- and fix his congestion. Not only did he read the book, he was so captivated and motivated to change his health that he started the Whole 30 Program immediately after reading the book ---- halfway through his vacation! Although Shirley probably thought it was crazy, she started the program right along with him. What sorts of results did Larry and Shirley have? No more sinus congestion. He can breathe again normally. They both lost weight. They both have less joint pain. And that's just for starters. When I saw him the other day, Larry was totally pumped ---- enough so that he wanted me to read the book as well. It's an excellent book that can benefit virtually anyone who follows its advice (THE PALEO DIET)! And as of 2017, is still the book I recommend people who would rather have a book than use my site.
My wife and I spent Saturday motorcycling past the area lakes (Bull Shoals, Beaver, Table Rock), then went to Eureka Springs, and then south on the PIG TRAIL (actually the ride home up 21 and then the area around the Boxley Area of the Buffalo River was better). Since I get up much earlier than any normal person should, I read the book early Sunday morning on the front porch of a cabin along the Arkansas River. I was so enthralled with the information the Hartwigs presented that I finished it in one sitting.
After getting sucked into my website and bouncing from blog post to blog post for hours on end, I have had many people suggest that I write a book. The thought has crossed my mind ---- but after reading It Starts With Food, I feel that someone has already written my book. As I turned the pages, I honestly felt in many ways that I was reading a book that I had written. The way they were promoting health and explaining to people why they were sick and how to turn the tables and get well, was, in many ways, almost verbatim what I have written extensively about on my website. The truth is, the Hartwigs got down to the ROOT OF PRACTICALLY ALL DISEASE with this book ---- the place where Chronic Pain and Chronic Inflammatory Degenerative Diseases live; as well as the solution for at least a great portion of people living with this wide range of health problems.
What did they talk about in the book? They talked about things like.....
- How critical to your health it is to understand INFLAMMATION.
- GUT HEALTH and LEAKY GUT SYNDROME as well as their relationship to AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (MORE AUTOIMMUNITY).
- The concept of "GOOD BACTERIA" and the importance of them to your body's immunity.
- Why it is important to CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR (even if your doctor thinks you are already doing a good job).
- The importance of WHOLE FOOD NUTRITION.
- A few of the various problems associated with not understanding what a healthy diet is ---- PCOS, FIBROMYALGIA, THYROID, ADD / ADHD, MIGRAINE HEADACHES, ACID REFLUX, OBESITY, DIABETES, AUTISM, ASTHMA, ALLERGIES, DEPRESSION, and even Larry's dual nemesis, CHRONIC COUGH / CHRONIC CONGESTION.
- The fact that the only way to successfully kick the SUGAR HABIT is by going cold turkey.
- Eating a LOW CARB / PALEO-LIKE diet being the root of good health.
- Their entire program is about doing an ELIMINATION DIET.
- The incredibly inflammatory nature of virtually ALL GRAINS.
- The difference between GENETICS & EPIGENETICS.
- Many others
SEROTONIN AND THE CONNECTION
TO LOW CARB DIETS
Not too long ago, I wrote a post about the relationship between OBESITY, DEPRESSION, AND LOSS OF LIBIDO. As typical, I suggested a LOW CARB OR PALEO DIET as part of the solution to this problem. Not surprisingly, I had a few people email me links to the research by Dr. Richard Wurtman of MIT who has produced forty years worth of studies on sleep, mood, nutrition, and their relationship to neurotransmitters. He has studies showing that Serotonin (the 'feel-good' neurotransmitter whose lack is thought to be a huge factor in developing Depression), is released due to the ingestion of dietary carbohydrates. His wife is Dr. Judith Wurtman (also of MIT) who has published a book on the topic called The Serotonin Power Diet. As you might imagine, she advocates a higher carb / low fat, lower protein approach to eating in order to boost mood. There are many similar books on the market. We have Potatoes Not Prozac and Natural Prozac by Dr. Joel C. Robertson (he advocates a higher carb approach). But there are also books advocating a low carb approach such as Dr. Michael J. Norden's (Psychiatrist) Beyond Prozac. What is the truth? Our goal today is to sift the evidence and see what we find.
One of the big reasons that I am such an advocate of Paleo-type eating is that it is a highly non-reactive diet (HERE). This is critical for those dealing with things like LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, AUTOIMMUNITY, HASHIMOTO'S THYROID DISEASE, FIBROMYALGIA, and a host of others. I am personally very carb-sensitive --- particularly when it comes to grains. In my clinic, I see lots of others who struggle with the same problem. In fact, it is my opinion that grain sensitivity has become the new norm. Just be aware that Paleo does not mean "Carb Free". However, also be aware that a KETOGENIC DIET (virtually no carbohydrates) can often be a lifesaver for people struggling with seizure disorders or other Neurological / Psychiatric problems, including Depression.
WHAT CAUSES DEPRESSION?
Although there are many others, a few of the more common neurotransmitters include things like.....
- Epinephrine (Adrenaline)
- Nor-epinephrine (Nor-adrenaline)
When any of these neurotransmitters get depleted or out of balance in relationship to each other, bad things start to happen. It can affect your mood, your sleep habits, your ability to think logically, your sex drive, your ambition, as well as a host of others. Today we will spend some time touching on the relationship between the amount of carbohydrates one chooses to eat or not eat, neurotransmitters, and Depression.
DOES A SIMPLE LACK OF SEROTONIN CAUSE DEPRESSION?
WILL EATING LOTS OF CARBOHYDRATES BOOST
SEROTONIN PRODUCTION AND MOOD?
A large number of serotonin subtypes are associated with anxiety and other negative emotions. A quick look on Wikipedia about these subsystems will quickly dispel any notion that they are all positive uplifting systems. I would guess, having researched it a fair damn bit, that far more negative emotion comes from the serotonin system than positive - largely around negative social and self perceptions. Paleo Hacks website
Serotonin research is relatively new, but it rivals estrogen research for the level of incompetence and apparent fraudulent intent that can be found in professional publications.... Extremely serious mistakes about the nature of the solar system didn't matter too much until interplanetary travel became a possibility. Extremely serious mistakes about brain "transmitters" and "receptors" didn't matter too much until the drug industry got involved. From Dr. Ray Peat's "Serotonin, Depression, and Aggression: The Problem of Brain Energy"
There is a growing body of evidence that seems to show that Dopamine is probably more associated with well being and feeling good than is Serotonin. While there are a whole host of drugs that modulate specific areas of the brain or neurotransmitter function, it can be done naturally as well via DIET / EXERCISE, SLEEP, touch, SEX, certain emotions, and even sunlight. It is important to remember that Serotonin (particularly 'excess' Serotonin) should probably not be thought of as a 'feel good' hormone. In fact, there are many who believe that the nature of Serotonin might actually be 180 degrees opposite of what we have learned. Part of the problem is that Serotonin is known to upregulate the steroid hormones --- including the glucocorticoids; namely CORTISOL --- your body's primary stress hormone (think adrenal glands here).
From the early 1980's (Fuller in 1981, Petraglia in 1984, Stark in 1985, Potter in 1985, Lesieur in 1985, Frances in 1987; Manier in 1987, etc), we have known that SSRI-like medications can stimulate the body's adenergenic system (adrenaline or nor-adrenaline) to the point that Cortisol levels are doubled. If you have even a cursory understanding of what Cortisol does to the body, this should at least make you apprehensive about SSRI's. Yes, they may very well make you feel "good". I have never told patients that Cortisone will not make them feel better --- at least for the short-term. However, I do tell them that the side-effects of this medication are numerous, brutal, and frequently permanent (HERE). It all begs the question as to what happens to endogenous Cortisol production in a person who is taking daily doses of Serotonin-boosting substances? It's simple. Among other things, they kick in the adrenal glands, potentially moving patients towards a state of SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE. While this certainly gives them a seeming 'boost' of energy, it is frying their system and dumping in Cortisol.
Thus, Serotonin --- particularly increased levels ---- is not necessarily the mood panacea that it has been made out to be. As you are beginning to see, Serotonin is actually a component of the body's response to stress. Take it to the next logical step. Since higher levels of Serotonin increase Cortisol levels, and high Cortisol levels are associated with weight gain --- particularly BELLY FAT, is it any wonder that SSRI's are themselves associated with weight gain (as are most Psych Drugs). So much so that Dr. Judith Wurtman, author of The Serotonin Power Diet, wrote an article for the Huffington Post almost exactly three years ago called, "10 Tips to Prevent Weight Gain on Antidepressants".
The thing that is critical to grasp is that SSRI's cover the effects of Depression by providing a prolonged boost of stimulation via the adenergic system. And when you want to get off of that SSRI, it's going to be tough because the Serotonin System has been down-regulated ---- part of the reason that the statistics for SSRI use are so shockingly high. Creating an artificial imbalance in your neurotransmitters may for a short time make you feel better, but in the long run it will cause problems and create a dependence. Anytime you have what the body believes to be 'enough' of a certain substance in the body, it will down-regulate it. Let me give you an example of down-regulation from the world of hardcore Strength Training / Bodybuilding.
In the pursuit of bigger, stronger muscles, many individuals have taken Anabolic Steroids (synthetic forms of Testosterone or GH). How does the body respond to this surge in male androgenic hormones? Men (and women) get cranky ('roid rage'), aggressive, and horny (that is what testosterone does for both men and women ---- but it also causes PCOS, in which case it actually diminishes sex drive). As you might have already guessed, this can be a potentially dangerous combination. But there is obvious evidence that the system, while being artificially pumped up, is actually being down-regulated and suppressed. One of the common male side effects of taking steroids is testicular atrophy (shrinkage). Think about why this might be true. Oversimplified; since there is an over-abundance of testosterone in the body, it says to itself, "hey; I don't need any more of this stuff". Thus, it down-regulates testosterone production in the testicles. In the case of Anabolic Steroids, this can be so dramatic that the testicles dramatically atrophy / shrink / shrivel. Since shriveled testes don't make much testosterone, the bodybuilder will either go back on the steroids, or try and take a substance (a popular one is human chorionic gonadotropin --- does anyone remember the hCG diet?) to 're-start' their own endogenous production.
Now imagine that this downregulation is going on with the Serotonin System. As the SSRI's inhibit the post-synaptic reuptake of Serotonin (see the first link in this post), the body sees this as an abundance (or over-abundance as the case may be) of the neurotransmitter. What do you think this does? Of course, the body begins to down-regulate the production of Serotonin ----- of which about 95% occurs in the Gut. The actual medical term for this is Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor Discontinuation Syndrome. The symptoms include things described as electric shock-like sensations ("brain zaps," "brain shocks," "brain shivers," "brain pulse-waves," "head shocks," "pulses," "flickers," or "cranial zings" are a few of the names for these), as well as dizziness, sweating, nausea, insomnia, tremors, confusion, nightmares, and vertigo. Many people also get symptoms which look suspiciously like Depression.
HOW TO SOLVE MANY CASES OF
DEPRESSION WITHOUT DRUGS
How do we balance neurotransmitters? How do we prevent receptor desensitization on the post-synaptic membrane? And how do we prevent Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor Discontinuation Syndrome? The first thing to understand that taking SSRI's is highly likely to down-regulate innate Serotonin production via receptor desensitization. The key is to get the system rebooted and working again after going off these drugs (or making it work more effectively even if you have never taken SSRI's). If, in fact, your body is not making enough Serotonin, the first question you must ask is why. I believe that there are two chief reasons......
- INFLAMMATION: Interestingly enough, numerous "psychiatric" (brain) issues have INFLAMMATION at their root. If you do not understand Inflammation, it is imperative that you click on the link and take just a couple of minutes to learn. Knowing how to address Inflammation will help you with almost any disease process you can imagine --- including Depression.
- POOR GUT HEALTH: As I just told you, the vast majority of the Serotonin in your body is manufactured in your Gut (about 95%). POOR GUT HEALTH, DYSBIOSIS, ANTIBIOTICS, DRUGS OF ALL SORTS (both prescription and non-prescription), food sensitivities such as GLUTEN, as well as a host of others, can upset the body's balance and cause a wide variety of problems, including LEAKY GUT SYNDROME (which almost always ends up as some sort of AUTOIMMUNE ISSUE). Although your doctor will not talk to you about Leaky Gut, it is very real, backed by over 10,000 peer-reviewed medical studies, and is a full-blown epidemic here in America. Be aware that the medical community usually calls it Increased Intestinal Permeability.
The way I recommend that most of my patients deal with these two problems is to eat a LOW CARB / PALEO DIET. Not only is this diet extremely non-reactive, it provides ample protein ---- something which people who follow a VEGAN DIET can be hard-pressed to do.
If Serotonin needs to be boosted, it can be boosted naturally, while essentially remaining on a Low Carb diet. The goal is to make sure that there is ample Serotonin at the post-synaptic receptor without having so much that the desensitization process and subsequent down-regulation of the system occurs. Be aware that certain foods have the capability of accomplishing this. Insulin not only removes sugar from the bloodstream, it removes amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) as well --- that is, it removes all but Tryptophan. Tryptophan is the amino acid that is said to make you "sleepy" (Tryptophan is the precursor to Serotonin, which is the precursor to Melatonin). This is why a glass of warm milk is said to be beneficial in helping people sleep.
The secret to using Tryptophan as a booster of Serotonin is to use it purposefully and at the right time. Simply giving in to a CARB ADDICTION because it temporarily gives you an energy and mood boost via the adrenals, does not fall into this category. Since we know that a high carb diets have the ability to increase Serotonin levels, using this knowledge strategiclly could help us to boost Serotonin levels at the proper time. Just make sure that you eat your carbs at the same time you eat Tryptophan. Another popular Serotonin booster is the supplement 5-HTP --- a precursor of Serotonin.
THE LOW CARB / VEGAN DEBATE
Dean, however, is not the only voice crying out from the wilderness. When doing the research for this post, I quickly realized the overwhelming amount of evidence stacking up against the status quo ideas on the subject. There is tons of information out there saying that high carb is not the best solution to boosting mood and aiding those with Depression. In fact, if you were paying attention, you realize that many, if not most of these people, are questioning whether you really want to boost Serotonin in the first place. Regardless, eating Low Carb, does not mean 'No Carb' (although KETOGENIC DIETS have been proven to be quite effective for large numbers of people dealing with Neurological and Psychiatric Diseases).
The thing about carbohydrates is that they are not all created equal --- far from it (HERE). What carbohydrates do I recommend while eating a Low Carb Diet (by the way, in the same way that there about a jillion different versions of Vegans, there are about the same numbers of variations on what constitutes a Paleo Diet)?
- Firstly, remember that if you are eating carbs to boost your mood without eating foods that are high in Tryptophan, you are getting that boost purely from your adrenals. This is dangerous and will lead to ADRENAL FATIGUE / FIBROMYALGIA. Proof of this is the way that your heart races after eating a ton of sugar. This is purely an adrenal response. Overstimulate your adrenals and you end up with all sorts of problems. And unfortunately, when you start throwing one area of the ENDOCRINE SYSTEM out of whack, others are sure to follow.
- Secondly, DO NOT eat your carbs in the form of sugary junk. This should go without saying, but many people will use any excuse to get their hands on some junk carbs --- especially those who are seriously ADDICTED.
- Thirdly, make sure that the carbohydrates you are eating are high in glucose and not fructose. There are a bundle of studies showing that glucose is not nearly the problem that fructose is ---- particularly HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. This means that you may need to stay away from certain fruits.
- Fourthly, GRAIN-BASED CARBS are one of the worst ways to boost carbohydrate intake. My chief source of carbohydrate is Sweet Potato. There are a few others that are fine. I also do some rice (a mixture of brown and wild, long grain).
COMMENTS ARE TURNED OFF FOR THIS POST
VEGAN -vs- PALEO
Not only do Vegans not eat any animal products whatsoever, they do not use anything that comes from an animal. They do not wear leather or ride in cars with leather seats. They do not use cosmetics or beauty products that either have animal ingredients in them or were tested using animals. They don't wear or use fur, wool, or silk, or eat honey. Vegans want nothing to do with anything that is said to 'exploit' animals or for that matter, insects, birds, or fish. Some are even against having pets. If you enjoy that sort of thing, there are any number of raging online debates concerning just how far one has to go to be considered a true blue Vegan.
VEGANISM & PALEO BOTH HAVE RELIGIOUS UNDERTONES
Vegainism is not merely eating a vegetarian diet. It is a lifestyle, which, for many could accurately be characterized as a religion (the courts have thus far denied this is the case, but my guess is that this will change in the near future). If you have followed Veganism over the past decade or so, you would realize the religious nature of Veganism, although many would adamantly deny their reasons for not using animal products are religious. Mostly this has to do with the fact that Vegans believe that utilizing animals in virtually any manner is inhumane; slavery; wicked; exploitative; (insert your own adjective here).
I respect the Vegan's view as long as it is logical and congruent. There is a natural loss of credibility when I see folks who support things like Abortion on Demand, turn around and in the same breath, tell me I should not wear leather boots, eat a VENISON STEAK, drink a glass of farm FRESH MILK, fry an EGG in BUTTER, or have a DROP OF HONEY IN MY HOT TEA ---- because it's "unethical". Without delving too deeply into this matter, you could simply Google, 'Veganism Religion' and see what comes up. It is eye-opening to say the least.
In a somewhat different vein, I believe that the Paleo Diet has religious undertones as well. It is based on the premise of 'Evolutionary Eating' --- eating the sort of diet that folks from the Paleolithic Period (2.5 million years ago to 10,000 years ago) supposedly would have eaten. Being one of those CRAZY CREATIONISTS as opposed to an evolutionist, I feel that despite the fact that they are eating in a manner that I believe is healthier than the typical Vegan's, their "evolutionary" reasoning for doing so is is likewise flawed.
I would contend that the physiological basis for such a huge percentage of people not physically / neurologically tolerating grains has far more to do with the fact that TODAY'S GRAINS are radically different than they were even 50 years ago (GMO, intense hybridization, built in PESTICIDES & HERBICIDES, CHEMICALS OF ALL SORTS, etc). The idea that that our physiology is not compatible with eating grains --- a recent evolutionary development ---- does not resonate well with most non-evolutionists and is not why some of us eschew them. Although grains are clearly a biblical food, today's grains share little in common with those eaten during Bible times (HERE). I also happen to think that anyone trying to make a biblical case for not eating or using animal products (meat, milk, honey, leather, etc) is trying to defend a position that is indefensible.
THE AMAZING STORY OF VILHJALMUR STEFANSSON
In 1906 Stefansson went on his first polar expedition with the same, "food tastes and beliefs of the average American." Stefansson said this about the typical American dietary beliefs. "It was desirable to eat fruits and vegetables, including nuts and coarse grains. The less meat you ate the better for you. If you ate a good deal of it, you would develop rheumatism, hardening of the arteries, and high blood pressure, with a tendency to breakdown of the kidneys - in short, premature old age. An extreme variant had it that you would live more healthy, happily, and longer if you became a vegetarian. Specifically it was believed, when our field studies began, that without vegetables in your diet you would develop scurvy. It was a "known fact" that sailors, miners, and explorers frequently died of scurvy "because they did not have vegetables and fruits." This was long before Vitamin C was publicized."
Due to 'experiments' and ending up stranded in the arctic regions several times, Stefansson wound up living solely on fish and meat (polar bear, seal, etc) at various points in his lifetime. Interestingly enough, he not only did well on this diet, he literally thrived. He said that it took about three months of living with these "Eskimos" before he completely gained a taste for their diet. What did Stefansson say about his Eskimo-like diet? Only that he spent, "several years during which I lived on an exclusive meat diet. For I count in fish when I speak of living on meat, using "meat" and "meat diet" more as a professor of anthropology than as the editor of a housekeeping magazine. The term in this article and in like scientific discussions refers to a diet from which all things of the vegetable kingdom are absent. To the best of my estimate then, I have lived in the Arctic for more than five years exclusively on meat and water." Wow. That's really quite amazing. But the real issue we are all wondering about is how his so called, "Meat Diet" affected his health.
In the 1920's, Stefannson met with doctors from the Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins University, New York's famed Bellevue Hospital, as well as physicians from the United States FA (later to become the Food and Drug Administration). After being thoroughly examined several times over, one of the doctors involved wrote an article for the, "Journal of the American Medical Association for July 3, 1926, "The Effects of an Exclusive Long-Continued Meat Diet." The committee had failed to discover any trace of even one of the supposed harmful effects.... The aim of the project was not, as the press claimed at the time, to "prove" something or other. We were not trying to prove or disprove anything; we merely wanted to get at the facts."
And who made up the committee? Physicians and researchers from prestigious institutions such as those mentioned above, plus the American Museum of Natural History, Cornell University Medical College, Harvard University, the Russell Sage Institute of Pathology, the University of Chicago, as well as others. After verifying his good health, this committee put Stefannson through a grand experiment to see if this sort of diet would work in America.
In the third part of the article, Stefannson goes on to explain that, "more than twenty-five years have passed since the completion of my first twelve months on meat and more than six years since the completion in New York of my sixth full meat year. All the rest of my life I have been a heavy meat eater, and I am now fifty-six. That should be long enough to bring out the effects. Dr. Clarence W. Lieb will report in the American Journal of Gastroenterology that I still run well above my age average on those points where meat has been supposed to cause deterioration. The same is the verdict of my own feelings. Rheumatism, for instance, has yet to give me its first twinge." Stefannson goes on in his series of articles to talk extensively about the astounding DENTAL HEALTH of the Eskimo people, as well as the fact that he believed that fish as well as meat from seals, penguins, polar bears, was a cure for Scurvy.
This is truly an amazing series of articles. If you are interested in reading the whole thing, HERE it is. Be aware that I do not believe for one moment that Stefannson could get away doing what he was doing with today's meats (processed, growth factors, antibiotics, estrogen-based hormones, additives, preservatives, nitrates, nitrites, etc). It is important to understand that most adherents to the Paleo way of eating are into eating clean meats.
FORKS OVER KNIVES -VS- FAT HEAD
Interestingly enough, I know people who have, at least initially, done quite well eating in this manner. Much of this has to do with the fact that the Paleo crowd and the Vegans both share a universal goal ---- getting adherents healthier by getting them off of processed foods. The truth is, both the Vegans and the Paleo folks want to see people off of the SAD (Standard American Diet). If you stop cramming your pie hole full of the junk that most of your neighbors are cramming in theirs, there will be an increase in health --- at least initially. However, for many different reasons, I will show you why Vegans are going about things, at least to some degree, the wrong way.
I seriously debated doing a full-blown critique of Forks Over Knives. The movie is full of partial truths, misrepresentations, and even has its share of out-and-out lies. Why? What do the Vegans have to gain from proselytizing their ideas and trying to make converts to their way of living? Although there are a few who make money promoting Veganism, as far as I can tell, it is not really about money. The truth is, most Vegans are 'true believers' (remember the religious aspect of Veganism?). I will never change these people's minds, and that's OK.
Below are two critical reviews of the movie Forks Over Knives. There are dozens of others. All of them basically bring up the same points.
- DR MERCOLA'S REVIEW of Forks Over Knives
- DENISE MINGER'S REVIEW of Forks Over Knives (her Blog Post started a firestorm and has something like 2,000 comments)
Instead of blindly following the premises set forth in Forks Over Knives, you might want to check out the movie Fat Head. Fat Head is a 2009 documentary made by Tom Naughton. In the movie, Naughton challenges the premise set forth by Morgan Spurlock in his 2004's Supersize Me (a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed and believe had great benefit). Naughton felt that while Supersize Me had merit, it did not go far enough. He thought (and rightly so) that it's premise (America's obesity epidemic is being caused by the consumption of fast food) was flawed. Naughton wanted to prove that it is not fast food per se that is causing Americans to be fat, but the everyday foods that people are putting in their shopping carts and bringing into their homes. His goal was to show that we as a nation do not have fundamental understanding of nutrition.
Just understand that Naughton is not promoting fast foods in this movie. His point is simply that DIETARY FAT is not the "Great Satan" that it has been made out to be for decades on end. His movie is based on research and premises promoted by some of the most brilliant minds in the field of nutrition. In case you do not want to watch it, I included a short review of the movie by KELLY THE KITCHEN KOP.
WHY VEGETARIANISM IS NOT THE BEST DIET FOR LARGE NUMBERS OF AMERICANS
I have written extensively about the fact that America is facing an EPIDEMIC OF AUTOIMMUNITY. Our own government claims that at least one in five citizens has an Autoimmune Disease. However, many experts say that this number is grossly under-estimated, and the true number of those suffering with Autoimmunity is closer to 50% --- or even greater. From what I see in practice, I tend to believe the higher numbers (HERE IS A LIST OF AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES). Either way you slice it, the number of Americans with Autoimmune Diseases is ridiculously high. And the question we need to be asking ourselves is why, and what does it have to do with the Paleo -vs- Vegan debate?
WHICH IS A LESS REACTIVE WAY OF EATING?
Although anti-inflammatory drugs are one of the most-prescribed classes of drugs in this country, few doctors really grasp the relationship between the foods one eats, the multitudes of potential inflammatory processes, and various diseases that occur in the body (see above link). Although systemic (whole body) inflammation can be caused by many different things (parasites, heavy metals, chemical sensitivities, chronic subclinical infections, etc, etc), the most common things people react to are foods. Without delving into the chemicals that are in foods (pesticides, herbicides, artificial colors, artificial flavors, MSG, etc), what are the most common of these reactive foods? They are the very things that most Paleo adherents cross off their meal list. It goes without saying that adherents to Paelo are going to dramatically limit their sugar intake --- particularly High Fructose Corn Syrup.
- GRAINS: As I said earlier, today's grains are not the same grains that people were eating back in Bible times. In fact, they are not the same grains that your grandparents were raised on just 2 or 3 short generations ago (HERE and HERE). Today's grains have been genetically modified (almost 100% of soy and corn are now GMO), and hybridized in ways that defy common sense. And because the food industry values GLUTEN (wheat protein) and the gluten-analogous proteins found in all grains, they have bred our modern varieties of grain towards this end ----- increasingly high levels of these proteins (most particularly, Gluten). People's immune systems start recognizing these proteins as foreign and react accordingly --- particularly with LEAKY GUT SYNDROME. And if you think that just because your grain is "organic" or "unprocessed" that you are not subject to reactivity, think again (HERE).
- DAIRY: Milk is one of about 45 known GLUTEN CROSS-REACTORS. While it is true that store-bought milk (pasteurized, homogenized, hormones, antibiotics, etc) is an extremely reactive food, far fewer people will react to fresh cow's milk. And even fewer still to fresh goat's milk. Just like grains, dairy is not inherently bad. The thing that makes most of it bad is the fact that it is processed to the point that it is barely recognizable as milk. Just be aware that Gluten Sensitivities and Dairy Sensitivities frequently go hand in hand. If you are sensitive to one, you are likely sensitive to the other as well.
- NIGHTSHADES: NIGHTSHADES are a group of vegetables that many people have trouble with as far as reactivity is concerned. These include tomatoes, potatoes (sweet potatoes are OK), eggplant, peppers (chili peppers, habeneros, cayenne, paprika, etc, but not black pepper), Goji berries, ashwagandha, Cape gooseberries, ground cherries, garden huckleberries, and yes, tobacco. Although people could potentially have all sorts of health issues associated with the Nightshade family, the most common symptom of sensitivity to this particular class of plant is arthritis-like pain. You can easily incorporate them into an ELIMINATION DIET, go off them for awhile, then add them back and see how you feel. HERE is an interesting article debunking the notion that nightshades cause pain. Forget the article --- read the comments.
- LEGUMES: One of my biggest problems with a Vegan diet is the amount of SOY that is typically consumed. Although certain kinds of soy are not as reactive as others, it is problematic for many different reasons. One of the biggest is the fact that it is a phyto-estrogen. In an age when ESTROGEN DOMINANCE runs rampant in both sexes, it only makes sense to cut this out of the diet. And as for BEANS; like grains and soy they contain a compound called Lectins. Lectins are sugar binding proteins that are thought to be natural pesticides. Because Lectins are 'sticky', they bind to the wall of the small intestine, and have been associated with LEAKY GUT SYNDROME in the scientific medical literature. Having Leaky Gut (usually called "Increased Intestinal Permeability" in the medical field) means that fragments of these foods will be absorbed into the blood stream and potentially end up in tissues they should not. The body does what it is supposed to do; mount an immune system response against them. The body will often begin attacking the tissue(s) they are attached to. Can anyone say Autoimmunity?
I might suggest that you follow Paleo expert, Robb Wolf's plan ---- similar the the Elimination Diet I have suggested. "The 30 day strict paleo approach followed by individual tinkering of adding back in certain foods allows us to find the best possible approach to nutrition for each individual person. Illnesses are predictable: chronic fatigue, lack of energy, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, metabolic diseases including weight gain, obesity, pre-diabetes, diabetes, and many more."
I have cut the Gluten-containing grains out of my diet and cannot begin to tell you how much better I feel physically. Have I cut beans and nightshades out of my diet? No. But I am beginning to think I probably need to do an elimination diet with these foods as well. I absolutely love both of them and truthfully, the thought of doing so makes me cringe a bit.
As a side note, the popularity of Dr. Fuhrman's "Nutritarian" program leads me to make a couple of comments. I really like some of what I see in his Food Pyramid. The fact that the pyramid's foundation is vegetables instead of grain like we see in the USDA's version is truly a breath of fresh air. He at least includes fish, lean beef, chicken, and eggs on the pyramid as well. However, his pyramid is very heavy on both legumes (40% of calories) and whole grains & potatoes (20% of calories), which could prove problematic for those with Autoimmunity and Food Sensitivities (not to mention those with BLOOD SUGAR ISSUES). Also, equating clean quality beef to sweets and processed foods is ridiculous and not based on good science (HERE). I would also take him to task for his recommending heavily processed milk (fat free) for people who consume dairy products. I am not sure that "fat free" anything is an optimal way to eat, in light of the research concerning the importance of consuming quality dietary fats. For those who eat dairy, raw milk is a much better choice for those who have access (it's easy here in the Ozarks).
WEIGHT LOSS AND VEGANISM
WITH SO MANY 'BEAUTIFUL' PEOPLE STUMPING FOR THE VEGAN LIFESTYLE; HOW COULD IT NOT BE OPTIMAL FOR CHRONICALLY ILL PEOPLE?
If you Google phrases like "Vegan Weight Loss", you'll see hundreds of articles promoting Veganism for losing weight. When I look at many of these articles (i.e. Sassy's Top 10 Tips for Vegan Weight Loss), I realize that I fully agree with the vast majority of what they are touting. Many of these Vegan articles are even saying to cut back on the grains, particularly the processed grains (cereal, bread, etc). The bottom line is that you can certainly lose weight eating a Vegan or Vegetarian diet. And truthfully, following a whole food Vegan diet is probably going to be much healthier than the way most Americans are eating right now --- at least initially.
However, Veganism has problems that can manifest over time. In light of the scientific evidence, I think that animal / fish proteins and fats are too beneficial to leave out of one's diet (particularly if you are replacing them with really crappy products like MARGARINE --- see the pyramid at the top of the page). A simple rule of thumb concerning the best way to eat comes from Dr. David Seamans, a Chiropractic Neurologist from Florida. Seamans says, eat vegetation or animals that ate vegetation (remember that grains are not vegetation). Dr. Seamans actually had an incredible article on anti-inflammatory eating that was touted on the cover of last month's issue of PRACTICAL PAIN MANAGEMENT --- a medical journal produced for pain management physicians.
Although a WHOLE FOOD-based Vegan diet can certainly help people lose weight (depending on the amount of grains one eats), it can also leave one vulnerable to a wide array of nutritional deficiencies. The most common of these are found below. Many of these deficiencies can be avoided by proper supplementation. However, quality Whole Food Supplements (i.e. those made by Standard Process) frequently contain animal products in their formulas. It's either that, or you consume something made in a lab ---- nutrition that is COMPLETELY SYNTHETIC.
SOME OF THE MORE COMMON DEFICIENCIES SEEN IN VEGANS
- VITAMIN B-12: Cobalamin's key roles include brain and nervous system function, blood formation, general metabolism, energy production, fatty acid synthesis, and DNA synthesis. Important stuff! Vitamin B-12 is found naturally in fish, meat (especially liver), poultry, eggs, and dairy. Some of the signs and symptoms of B-12 deficiency include lethargy, weakness, IBS-like issues, mood changes and depression, memory loss, and numbness and tingling in one's extremities. BTW, check out this amazing article about the difference between natural B and synthetic B vitamins (HERE).
- OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS & FAT IN GENERAL: While it is simple to get plenty of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in a Vegan diet, it is extremely difficult to get enough Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) --- the two active ingredients in fish oil --- without supplementing animal products (namely fish). When I look at the Vegan's Food Pyramid (near the top of the page) and see margarine (Trans Fat) listed as the fat of choice, I simply cannot believe it. Margarine usually contains Trans Fats. On top of that, the Vegan Food Pyramid tells us to keep our fat intake to a teaspoon a day. Are you joking me? Not only is this unrealistic, but it is heading back to the dark ages of dieting as promoted by Pritikin, Ornish, McDougal, and others --- eating that was disproved by science years ago. Your body needs fats to both survive and thrive. Veganism makes getting these crucial fats difficult to say the least. For more on Omega-3's, you can look HERE.
- IRON: Although you can get iron from plant sources (beans, Swiss chard, black-strap molasses, dark chocolate, and sun-dried tomatoes are a few), the best source is red meat. Unfortunately, too many Vegans believe they are getting enough high quality iron from their (fortified) Raisin Bran --- a belief that needs reconsideration.
- ZINC: Zinc is a mineral that is a component of numerous enzymes that have to do with cell reproduction, tissue growth, cellular repair, and healing. It is also important for the immune system. Plant sources of zinc are wheat germ, beans, and some nuts. Unfortunately, two of those sources are in potentially reactive foods.
- CALCIUM: Although the dairy industry claims that not eating dairy will lead to a deficiency in calcium, this is simply not true. Calcium is actually fairly easy to get from plant sources. It is pure myth that milk is a great source of calcium. As crazy as it seems, American women get more calcium than any other people on the planet. Yet we also have the top rates of OSTEOPOROSIS. Something is not adding up here. Some non-animal sources of calcium are black-strap molasses, collard greens, turnips, kale, bok choy, almonds, etc.
- VITAMIN-D: Vitamin D is the sunshine vitamin (HERE). If you are a Vegan who is not getting regular sunshine, you will be Vitamin D Deficient. There are no good (unfortified) plant-based sources of Vitamin D that I am aware of. I read something about UV-irradiated yeast being an exception. I would not recommend that, particularly if you are consuming lots of carbs (HERE).
- PROTEIN: If you are an athlete or train regularly in some sport, you will be hard-pressed to get enough protein on a Vegan diet. I am not saying that it cannot be done. I am saying that it will be difficult and require some real forethought. Tony Gonzales, arguably the greatest tight end ever to play in the NFL (and an ex- KC Chief to boot), espouses the Vegan lifestyle (he has made commercials with his wife for PETA). But the truth is, his diet is far from Vegan. He eats chicken, fish, eggs, and even on occasion, beef. He realized not long after starting his "Vegan" lifestyle in 2007 that he was losing too much lean body mass without animal proteins in his diet.
On one hand, the internet is full of stories of Vegan successes. However, it is equally loaded with Vegan horror stories. There are lots of people who initially believe that Veganism is the way to go, and then back off because they realize their body is not doing well on the diet. Some, though, do not back off.
Many of you reading this can get by eating a Vegan diet --- and may actually do better eating in that fashion. In the same vein, many of you cannot. Anyone with Autoimmunity needs to be extremely cautious about eating Vegan --- particularly when it comes to grains. Think about it like this. We now know that over 80% of the American population carries the genetic makeup for GLUTEN SENSITIVITY. What is a grain-based diet going to do to these people (look at the Vegan's Food Pyramid)? Are there problems with the animal products that most non-Vegans are regularly consuming? You better believe it! We swim in a sea of hormones, xeno-hormones, ANTIBIOTICS, chemicals, MSG, growth factors, and heaven only knows what else. I think that Steffenson and his experiments involving living like an Eskimo proved how beneficial eating "clean" animal products can be.
The bottom line is that however you chose to eat, you must CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR. Uncontrolled blood sugar (even if it is within the 'normal' range) is being tied to almost every disease process you can imagine --- including obesity. Paleo is one of many ways to manage blood sugar and the problems associated with letting it get out of hand. But Paleo is much more than that. It has a great deal to do with GUT HEALTH.
Reactive foods are heavily linked to Inflammation, Leaky Gut Syndrome (Increased Intestinal Permeability), and pain. This is the natural cycle of virtually all disease processes (HERE). What have natural doctors told us for generations? Heal the gut; heal the body. Do I eat a strict Paleo Diet? No I do not. But I have learned that the more I lean toward Paleo, the less pain I have, the leaner / stronger I get, and the more energy I have.
For people heading into the world of Autoimmunity (or already there), this way of eating makes a lot of sense. And by the way, what are the proponents of Paleo really promoting? Are they really telling us we should be eating mass quantities of meat? Although a few are, most aren't. Follow Dr. David Seamans advice; eat vegetation or animals that ate vegetation. A diet heavy on non-reactive plants and vegetables with ample (clean) protein for your body's daily needs is critical for good health. For those of you looking for a protocol to follow, take a look AT THIS POST.
JOURNAL 'PRACTICAL PAIN MANAGEMENT'
PROMOTES DR. DAVID SEAMAN'S ARTICLE
'AN ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET FOR PAIN PATIENTS'
I must say that this issue's (November 2012) cover caught me off guard. It said 'Anti-Inflammatory Diet', and is shown as a collage of vegetables and herbs. Needless to say, I was surprised at the cover's topic. But my jaw hit the floor when I realized that the article was written by one of the Chiropractic profession's most well-known and respected nutritional lecturers, DR. DAVID SEAMAN of Florida. I have attended a couple of Seaman's weekend seminars, and his material is not only excellent, but is extremely relevant to anyone --- practitioner or patient --- who deals with chronic pain in any fashion.
It's always nice to be vindicated / validated. I have been promoting an Anti-Inflammatory Diet for almost the entire time I have been in practice (I am nearing the beginning of my 22nd year). Although the article was essentially material that Seaman (a Chiropractic Neurologist) has been writing about in the Chiropractic Journals seemingly forever, it's nice to see that this critically important message is finally making its way to mainstream medicine. Who better to get the message to than pain doctors. And who benefits the most? If the medical profession actually takes Seaman's message to heart, patients in CHRONIC PAIN will often see life-changing differences when they clean up their diets!
WHAT IS INFLAMMATION?
Although most of the general public thinks that swelling and INFLAMMATION are synonymous terms (they seem to always be used in tandem), this could not be farther from the truth. Although 'Inflammation' attracts swelling to it locally, it is actually the word we give to a group of normal Immune System chemicals. Just remember that when these chemicals get out of balance (i.e. there are too many of them in the blood stream), there will be hell to pay as far as health problems are concerned. Just how big a part does Inflammation play in the poor health of such great numbers of Americans? Listen to what Dr. Seaman writes under the header, "What is Chronic Inflammation?".
"Low-grade chronic inflammation is now known to be a driver of most chronic degenerative diseases"
- Disc Injuries, Slipped Disc, Disc Herniation, and Disc Rupture (HERE)
- Heart Disease and virtually all forms of Cardiovascular Problems (HERE)
- Skin conditions including Eczema and Psoriasis (HERE)
- Most Autoimmune Conditions (HERE)
- Arthritis & Fibromyalgia (HERE & HERE)
- Asthma (HERE)
- ADD, ADHD, Depression, and various forms of Dementia (HERE & HERE)
- Neurological Conditions (HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE)
- Female Issues (HERE & HERE)
- Cancer (HERE)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease / Leaky Gut Syndrome (HERE & HERE)
- Diabetes, Insulin Resistance, Hypoglycemia, and other Blood Sugar Regulation Problems (HERE)
- Obesity (HERE)
Interestingly enough, I have seen statistics saying that although we spend more on healthcare dollars than any country in the world both per capita and grossly (we have 3% of the population and take almost 2/3 of the world's pharmaceuticals), we rank at or near the bottom of the world as far as CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES are concerned. Just look at the lists in the link. It's easy to see why Inflammation is such a huge deal. But let's cut to the chase. What does Dr. Seaman say about which foods to eat and which foods to avoid? Although this article did not come right out and say it, I can tell you what he recommends for his patients (he says it over and over at his seminars). It is an extremely easy-to-remember rule of thumb. "Eat vegetation or animals that ate vegetation". And don't forget ---- grains (corn -- everyone's favorite 'vegetable' -- included) are not considered to be "vegetation". What Dr. Seaman's is essentially recommending here is a PALEO DIET. This becomes more clear when you look at his lists below.
CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW CHRONIC INFLAMMATION CAUSES
FIBROSIS (MICROSCOPIC SCAR TISSUE) AND CHRONIC PAIN
DR. DAVID SEAMAN'S LIST OF.......
CHERRY-PICKED QUOTES FROM DR. SEAMAN'S INFLAMMATION AND DIET ARTICLE
"Recently, it has been shown that patients are more likely to suffer with musculoskeletal pains and tendinopathy if they also have metabolic syndrome ---- which, is, in part, treated by adopting anti-inflammatory dietary changes"
We know from the scientific literature that the vast majority of Tendinopathies are TENDINOSIS. Although Tendinosis is certainly not considered an inflammatory condition in and of itself, systemic inflammation can contribute to its development.
"Low grade chronic inflammation is now known to be a driver of most chronic degenerative diseases. It is important to understand that low-grade chronic inflammation is not associated with an obvious infection or injury (i.e. acute inflammation) and does not predictably resolve [on its own]."
Just look at the list from earlier in the article. Shocking. And Inflammation is said to be a causal factor in all of them.
"[Inflammation] can generate pain in somatic tissues such as joint, muscle, disc, ligament, tendon, fascia, or epineurium [the fascia-analogous membrane that surrounds nerves]"
I have specific pages on MUSCLES, TENDONS, LIGAMENTS, FASCIA, and DISCS. I have written extensively about the fact that these tissues generate pain in the Deep Soma (HERE).
"Germane to the topic of this paper, it appears that nutrition is likely a key determining factor that generates the tissue 'flavor' of inflammation and, thus, pain expression."
This is a no-brainer you learned in grade school. You are what you eat. However, it is critical that you not miss what Dr. Seaman implies here. Although many people love blaming all their problems on poor genetics, Inflammation is one of the factors that makes up the field we know as EPIGENETICS.
"'Dietary Injury' [is] a term that may be helpful to appreciate how diet can cause chronic inflammation and pain. Dietary injury should be viewed as a cumulative and chronic event, such that monotherapies with nutritional supplements or medications are unable to counteract the 'hits' delivered by a pro-inflammatory diet.... But in making unhealthy lifestyle choices, an individual's body is transformed into a 'state' of chronic inflammation. The patient may not feel this transformation until an obvious clinical sign or symptom is present."
I have said it repeatedly. Supplements are just that --- supplementary. There is no way to correct a crappy diet simply by taking more supplements. The same can be said of medications. Deal with inflammation at the source because trying to cover the vast array of Inflammation-induced symptoms is a losing battle --- a battle that will eventually take your life, and leave you miserable in the process. More on MONOTHERAPIES.
"Diet is most important because the chemistry of the diet is reflected in the chemistry of the cells."
No explanation needed. Again, you are what you eat.
"The reduction in Omega-3 fatty acid intake adds to the inflammatory / painful state because Omega-3s convert to mediators that resolve inflammation and reduce pain. these mediators are derived from EPA and DHA."
This is a good place to mention the importance of EPA and DHA. They are the active ingredients of Omega Three Fatty Acids, and while abundant in High Quality Fish Oils, are found in only limited amounts in Flax Seed Oil. Your body is not efficient at converting Flax to EPA and DHA. This is why Flax Oil is not a substitute for PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE FISH OIL. By the way, PGFO is our number one selling supplement and has been for years. Why do people take it? Believe it or not, not because it is good for their health. They take it because they feel better --- less pain.
"The overconsumption of Omega-6 fatty acids leads to a change in cell membrane anatomy..... chronic joint pain is the diet-derived outcome"
Trans Fats create what the renowned Dr. Janet Lang calls "Stupid Cell Membranes". When Trans Fats are incorporated into cell membranes, the membranes not only get terribly inflexible, they let things into the cell they should not, and keep things out that should be let in. This is a component of numerous illnesses ---- including DIABETES.
"And while red meat is often impugned, studies have demonstrated that the consumption of lean red meat does not lean to post-parandial [post-meal] inflammation [like carbs do], and the substitution of lean red meat for carbohydrates had a blood pressure lowering effect in hypertensive men. While often touted as a healthy anti-inflammatory food, whole grains may contribute to low-grade chronic inflammation. It is known that lectins from all grains, and gluten from wheat, rye, and barley, can disrupt the Gut Barrier integrity and allow the absorption of dietary and bacterial antigens... Gliadin from gluten is known to stimulate enterocyte production of zonulin, which disrupts intestinal tight junctions and can lead to systemic inflammation."
This is nothing less than a clinical description of LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, which the medical community refers to as 'Increased Intestinal Permeability". Although up until about 15 years ago, the medical community denied the existence of Leaky Gut Syndrome, there are now nearly 10,000 peer-reviewed medical studies on the subject. GUT HEALTH is the foundational principal for healing all sickness and disease.
I salute you Dr. Seaman for working so hard to take this message to a wider audience for the benefit of humanity! I would also like to applaud Dr. Forest Tennant, editor in chief of PPM for having the gumption (albeit with a disclaimer of sorts) to run an article by a chiropractor in a medical journal. Hopefully your readers (MD's running pain clinics) will take this message to heart.
METABOLIC ADVANTAGES OF PALEO
There are great numbers of books on Low Carb eating. The question we need to answer is what makes the Paleo Diet different from any other form of Low Carb diet. Supposedly, the Paleo (short for "Paleolithic") Diet is what our ancestors ate. In other words, it is a diet based upon the theory of evolution. Notice that I said "theory". I realize that many of you will think I am crazy, but I am not buying the whole EVOLUTION THING. I believe it is one of the biggest hoaxes ever perpetrated upon mankind ---- particularly in view of some of the new information coming out of the field of molecular genetics. Anyway; just realize that you can get the benefits of a Paleo Diet without goosestepping along with the evolutionists.
The Paleo Diet basically consists of eating things that prehistoric man would have hunted or gathered. This includes meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, berries, and nuts. The Paleo crowd is big on totally avoiding certain foods and drinking only water or maybe green tea. You'll see why shortly. Some of these foods on the to-avoid list include GRAINS, beans & legumes, MILK or milk products, and alcohol. Just understand that no two lists will completely agree with each other (I recently saw a Paleo list that said it was OK to drink DIET SODA --- gulp!). I realize that some of you reading this are going to disagree with the whole "Low Carb" thing. That's OK. It's a free country.
Yeah, I know. I've seen Forks Over Knives just like you have. Sorry; the research I have seen for Vegan eating is not convincing. Not to mention, I know how much better I feel eating closer to Paleo than eating Vegan. I used to follow Dr. McDougall back in the day --- back when I though that "Fat Free" was great. Although some of what he says is spot on (processed cow's milk, for instance), he needs to enter the 21st century as far as the research on protein is concerned. Despite the fact that I myself do not strictly follow a Paleo Diet (I like beans, sweet potatoes, and natural cheese too much), there can be many advantages --- particularly to the person who is trying to regain both their weight and their health. Let's look at a few of these advantages.
SPECIFIC ADVANTAGES OF THE PALEO DIET
- THE FOOD EATEN IS UNPROCESSED: "Cavemen" could not go out and purchase fast food. They could not run down to the store and buy prepackaged or JUNK FOOD. There was no such thing as preservatives, additives, MSG, or other such things back then. A PALEO DIET is all about eating this way.
- IT REVOLVES AROUND EATING FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: About the only thing that experts in the field of nutrition can ultimately agree on is that eating fresh vegetables is good for you. Everything else is up for grabs. When you look at the traditional Food Pyramid prepared by the USDA nearly 30 years ago, you'll see that its foundation was grains (8-11 servings a day). After three decades of eating this way, we should be aware that as a nation we look suspiciously familiar to grain-fed Missouri beef. And in case you had not yet seen it, the latest government offering as far as dietary recommendations go --- THE DASH DIET --- might just be worse.
- YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CONSUME PLENTY OF GOOD FATS: INFLAMMATION is a chemical problem that is driven by several things, including the quality and type of the fats we eat. We are easier able to overcome a not-quite-perfect diet if we are consuming plenty of high quality Omega-3 Fatty Acids in our diets. The proper ratio of Omega 3's to Omega-6's should be about 1:2 or at the most, 1:3. Study after study after study puts the average American at closer to 1:30. If you are eating a diet heavy in TRANS FATS and not eating enough good fats (Omega 3's, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, etc) or supplementing with PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE FISH OIL, getting healthy will be nigh impossible.
- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STARVE YOURSELF: Some of the latest diet fads are simply amazing. My favorite diet for absolute absurdity is the HCG diet (Human Chorionic Gonadatrophin ---- a hormone of pregnancy that is used by roiding athletes to 'restart' their own testosterone production once they go off their cycle). All you are supposed to do is take HCG and eat 500 calories a day. Wow! 500 calories a day. Sounds more like Stone Soup to me! With Paleo, as with all true 'Low Carb' methods of eating, you can eat a lot of food and should never feel hungry.
- PALEO IS HIGH IN FIBER: One of the knocks against the Atkins Diet and some of the other Low Carb diets is that they do not contain enough fiber. Much of this belief is either due to not understanding what Atkins himself was promoting, or not following his regimen ---- or both. I have heard Atkins' Diet called the "Meat Diet". This is unfair. The people saying this are the same people saying that Atkins, a cardiologist, weighed 280 when he died. They fail to mention that he fell on an icy sidewalk and hit his head, causing a total shut down of all organs, including his kidneys. They also happen to be the same group of people touting bread as a good source of fiber (HERE). When 'Low Carb' is done correctly, you will have no trouble getting more than enough fiber. This is particularly true of the Paleo Diet.
- PALEO IS HYPO-ALLERGENIC: I like going to chiropractic seminars. Lately, I have been attending the series of 30 seminars created by DATIS KHARRAZIAN for Apex Energetics. The people teaching Datis's classes are some of the most brilliant physicians on the planet ---- FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGISTS with advanced degrees in nutrition and expertise in Functional Endocrinology. Because they can easily prove that almost all really sick people have food sensitivities, they put almost everyone they treat on a modified Paleo Diet. Paleo is GLUTEN FREE and Cassien Free (milk protein). In order to understand why this is such a big deal, read about GLUTEN CROSS-REACTORS as well as the COMMON CAUSE OF ALL MODERN DISEASE.
- PALEO NOT ONLY WORKS, BUT WORKS QUICKLY: In a study done by Dr. Lynda Frassetto's team at the University of California - San Francisco School of Medicine and published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, we saw just how fast a Paleo Diet began causing the physiological changes that are required for health. How about 10 days! Researchers took sedentary individuals who were "non-obese" and put them on a Paleo Diet for a week and a half. Guess what happened? There were significant changes in BLOOD PRESSURE, BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS, Glucose Tolerance, SENSITIVITY TO INSULIN, and BLOOD LIPID PROFILES. Ten days. If you have read THE NUMBER ONE HEALTH PROBLEM FACING AMERICANS TODAY, you will understand why. Yet we still have a medical community telling us that meat and fat consumption are the things that drive most health problems --- even though this has been disproved time and time again (HERE). In an interview related to this study, Dr Frassetto stated, "In two weeks, everybody's blood pressure went down and everybody's cholesterol and triglyceride levels got better. The average drop was 30 points, which was pretty amazing. It's the type of drop you get by taking statins for six months". And in case you are not aware how dangerous Statin Drugs really are, I have another major post on this topic in the chute.
CAN LOW CARB DIETS "CURE" DIABETES
For a man who's been diagnosed with diabetes, you'd never guess that about Steven Cooksey. His life choices fly directly in the face of the American Diabetes Association's recommendations for people living with the disease. He maintains a low-grain/low-carbohydrate diet, commonly known as the Paleo diet, and as a result is in fantastic health. Incredibly, because of his dietary decisions, Cooksey no longer requires insulin injections (on his website, he states that before adopting the paleo diet he was taking four insulin shots a day). With those kind of seemingly miraculous results, it's no surprise that Cooksey wanted to share his story and hopefully help others with what he's learned through his own research and experience.
While trying to help others, Cooksey also has no problem making his disagreements with the ADA known. However, little did he know that by blogging about his success in maintaining his diabetes with the Paleo diet while also lambasting the ADA for its dietary policies would lead to him becoming a target for government censorship.
What's the solution? Cooksey used the PALEO DIET. I recommend it as part of a BIGGER PROGRAM.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration