ASTHMA: AUTOIMMUNE OR INFLAMMATORY?
"Antibiotic use in the first year life is associated with an increased risk of early-onset childhood asthma that began before 3 years of age. The apparent effect has a clear dose response. Heightened caution about avoiding unnecessary use of antibiotics in infants is warranted." The conclusions of a study published in the March, 2014 issue of Annals of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology (Consequences of Antibiotics and Infections in Infancy: Bugs, Drugs, and Wheezing).
"Overall, children given antibiotics in their first half-year were 2.6 times more likely to develop allergic asthma, the team told a meeting of the European Respiratory Society on Tuesday. With broad-spectrum antibiotics, which kill a wide range of bacteria, the risk was far higher: children were 8.9 times more likely to suffer from asthma." From the October 1, 2003 "Biomedical Archives" of FuturePundit.com. The study itself was done in the Henry Ford Hospital of Detroit, Michigan (they have 5 hospitals in their network).
Asthma is not the only consequence of prescribing infants antibiotics. A quick review of the scientific literature tells us that Asthma is not the only thing that Infant Antibiotics are associated with. Studies tell us that this class of drug is related to everything from ALLERGIES to OBESITY, to DIABETES, to IBS, to eczema and other AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (including FIBROMYALGIA), to CHRONIC EAR INFECTIONS, to ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE, to SYSTEMIC YEAST / CANDIDA INFECTIONS, and on and on and on. These are just some of the many reasons that I have been telling my readers that Antibiotics are one of the single largest long-term health destroyers in America.
We do not really need more taxpayer-funded research telling us that ANTIBIOTICS DESTROY HEALTH and cause lifetime health-related problems. We need educated parents and doctors who will stand up and say, "no; I am not giving little Junior an antibiotic. That's not what he needs right now". But the solution to this problem does not end with simply not killing off one's good bacteria with antibiotics. One must actually expose themselves / their children to bacteria in order to be healthy (I have written about this previously HERE, HERE and HERE). Let me share with you what the 2003 article from the top of the page said about this matter.
"This "hygiene hypothesis" has been gathering strength in recent years. The latest result certainly strengthens the argument considerably. The idea is basically reminiscent of the saying "idle hands are the devil's workshop". Remove the normal antigens that the immune system is exposed to and it starts reacting to things it ought not react to. Our ancestors lived in dirt floor dwellings and had much more exposure to animals, dirt, and nature in general. We live lives which bring us in much less exposure to the antigens we evolved to deal with. Exposure to those antigens appear to be necessary to instruct the immune system on what it should identify as a threat."
ANTIBIOTIC USE IN INFANTS AND YOUNG CHILDREN, DECIMATES HEALTH LATER IN LIFE
Just a few months prior to this, research from Canada's University of Winnipeg in Manitoba, that was published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, came to chillingly similar conclusion --- antibiotics given to infants cause health problems later in life. They showed how infants treated with antibiotics have a greater chance of developing INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE (Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, etc) later in childhood. What did these medical scientists think was the likely culprit? Autoimmunity induced by destroying the gut's good bacteria and letting the bad bacteria run amok (DYSBIOSIS).
And now we get this. A study published in last week's edition of the International Journal of Obesity, stated that children given antibiotics prior to 5 months of age were significantly heavier than antibiotic-free children at 38 months of age. New York University's School of Medicine showed that this trend continued into childhood.
If there is one thing that I have tried to get across to my patients over the past two decades, it's that antibiotics in no way, shape, or form, strengthen the immune system. The truth is, antibiotics weaken and destroy the immune system. Sure, antibiotics have the potential to save lives, but in America this is certainly not the norm. The "norm" is children being prescribed round after round after round of antibiotics for every sniffle, sneeze, and cough that comes down the pike. And just why is this bad? Pay attention.
When a child gets sick in America, far too many patients fail to heed the advice of 'America's Pediatrician,' DR ROBERT MENDLESOHN. Instead, we make sure our doctor prescribes antibiotics ---- and prescribe they will! We use far more antibiotics both grossly and per capita than any other nation on the planet ---- and it's not even close. When your child takes the antibiotics, those bad little bacteria that we call "infection" tend to die. But guess what? The good bacteria are killed right along with them. It reminds me of the shirts and bumper stickers that were popular when I was a child during the later portion of the Vietnam era; KILL EM ALL, AND LET GOD SORT EM OUT. That is exactly how antibiotics work! And because the immune system is made up largely of bacteria found in the gut, each and every time your child takes an antibiotic, their immune system becomes progressively weakened. Because the immune system is weak, the child is susceptible to the next infection that comes along. What does the doctor do? Prescribes more antibiotics. Repeat Cycle ad infinitum until the immune system is destroyed. CANCER anyone? How about some AUTOIMMUNITY?
WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP OUR CHILD AVOID SICKNESS &
ANTIBIOTICS AS WE MOVE INTO COLD AND FLU SEASON?
- EAT A HEALTHY DIET OF WHOLE FOODS, AND TAKE WHOLE FOOD SUPPLEMENTS: Listen folks; care enough about your children to quit feeding them so much crap! Take charge of their health (after all; you are the parent) and make sure that they are getting a diet (and supplements) based on WHOLE FOOD NUTRITION.
- AVOID SUGAR AND PROCESSED CARBS: If you understand what these bad bacteria like to eat, this is a no-brainer. Just do a Google search on "Sugar Feeds Infection" and see what comes up. I promise you will be more than a little bit freaked out. Then Google "SUGAR FEEDS CANCER" While you are at it, take a couple of minutes and read my #1 BLOG POST of all time.
- GET YOUR KIDS OUTSIDE, ACTIVE, AND DIRTY: OK; you understand that fresh air and exercise are good for your kids. But what about the "dirty" thing? Numerous studies have shown that as crazy as it might sound, Americans are by and large too clean (HERE). Yes, you heard me. We are so clean that we are destroying the good bacteria that are on our skin (some of the same that should be found in our gut). This is one of the reasons why antibacterial soap is no longer recommended (another reason is that it, like antibiotic use, creates "SUPERBUGS").
- GET A DOG: STUDIES HAVE SHOWN that dogs help in this process of providing good bacteria.
- TAKE A GOOD PROBIOTIC: Probiotics are the opposite of antibiotics. Instead of killing bacteria, they actually restore the good bacteria to your gut. Think of your gut as a movie theater that has only so many seats available. Once these seats are taken, there is no where else to sit. Your gut is the same way. Restore good bacteria, and you push / crowd the bad bacteria out. And since there are only so many bacteria that your body can support, it is only supporting the good ones. Because of this, we highly recommend that you take a probiotic that is based on HSO's (Homeostatic Soil Organisms ---- HERE). Our probiotics contain the same bacteria that are found in organic soil --- the same bacteria that should be in your gut.
- THINK TWICE ABOUT HAVING YOUR CHILDREN VACCINATED: At the very least, study this issue closely. I promise it will be an eye opener for you. Vaccines --- particularly in the numbers that we are giving our children today ---- can be exceedingly damaging to immune system function. Where do you start? My blog; where else (HERE).
DO YOU HAVE A MOLD PROBLEM?
IF YOU HAVE ANY SORT OF CHRONIC HEALTH ISSUES, DON'T
DISMISS THIS QUESTION WITHOUT READING TODAY'S POST
Although you may not realize it, mold is everywhere. Mold spores are a common component of household and workplace dust, and can be found on just about every surface in your home. This type of mold is not usually a problem for the majority of the population. But give mold the environment it needs to grow (high moisture content, nutrients, warm temperature, etc), and you will soon have a huge problem on your hands --- quite possibly a nightmare you could never have even imagined (HERE). I know because I have witnessed first hand how mold has helped destroy some of my patient's lives!
When mold spores are present in abnormally high quantities, they can present a serious health hazard to humans. Mold's symptoms come in the form of hypersensitivity reactions to the spores themselves, but reactions to their mycotoxins (toxic chemical byproducts of molds) as well. Some of the more common health issues associated with mold exposure include.........
- Allergic Reactions (Current research says that over half of all Asthmatics have RESPIRATORY ALLERGIES --- one of the most common being mold.)
- Asthma (HERE)
- Coughing / Wheezing (HERE)
- Light Sensitivity (HERE)
- Rashes (HERE)
- Sugar / Starch Addiction (HERE)
- Nausea and other Digestive Problems (HERE)
- Chronic Fever (HERE)
- Headaches (including MIGRAINES)
- Eye Problems
- Sinus Congestion / Infections (HERE)
- A vast array of Respiratory Problems including Infections and Bronchitis (HERE)
- Fungal Infections of the Sinus, Skin, Lungs, and Digestive Tract with prolonged exposure (This is a form of DYSBIOSIS)
- Hypersensitivity Reactions of all kinds (A 2003 issue of The Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine / American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine published a study called Adverse Human Health Effects Associated with Molds in the Indoor Environment saying that at least 5% of the American population is affected at some time in their life with Hypersensitivity to Mold.)
- Immune Suppression / Autoimmunity (HERE)
- Neurotoxicity / Neurological Problems (HERE)
- Cancer (HERE) (Darn straight! For the fun of it, Google "Cancer Mold" or "Cancer Fungus" and prepare to be truly freaked out.)
- When water leaks or spills occur indoors - ACT QUICKLY. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases mold will not grow.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent (ideally between 30 and 50 percent) relative humidity. Relative humidity can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter, a small, inexpensive ($10-$50) instrument available at many hardware stores.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes ACT QUICKLY to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible. (Combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.)
- Use air conditioners and / or de-humidifiers when needed.
- Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or dishwashing, etc.
- Reduce the humidity.
- Increase ventilation or air movement by opening doors and / or windows, when practical. Use fans as needed.
- Cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.
The most capable and knowledgeable person in the area for this sort of work is Chris Jungbluth of Environmental Services over in Springfield, Missouri (he is originally from the Raymondville area). What sets Chris's business apart from others advertising similar services? Training, experience and certifications. He's not one of those "experts" who took a weekend course, then hung out a shingle advertising "Mold Remediation". Chris has a college degree in Environmental Services, and has been in the game for a very long time. Think your mold problem is bad? I guarantee he's seen worse and successfully dealt with it. If you think mold might (might) be causing or contributing to your chronic health issues, give Chris a call.
ANTIBIOTICS IN THE FIRST MONTH OF LIFE DOUBLES CHANCES OF ENDING UP WITH ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA
Case in point is a study that was published earlier this year in the February issue of The American Journal of Epidemiology. The study, done by four doctors at Yale University's School of Public Health's Center for Perinatal, Pediatric, and Environmental Epidemiology, hit us with yet another example of the problems with current antibiotic prescription habits. This study looked at the relationship between early antibiotic use (1st 6 months of life), and the incidence of asthma & allergies at 6 years of age ---- in over 1,400 children. Antibiotic exposure was associated with a 52% increased risk of asthma overall. However, there was a staggering 89% increase in both problems in children with no prior family history! The authors concluded that early antibiotic use is associated with developing both ASTHMA and ALLERGIES. Is this information anything new? Not really.
In the June 2007 issue of CHEST, the journal of the American College of Chest Physicians, carried a similar study concluding that, "children receiving antibiotics in the first year of life were at greater risk for developing asthma by age 7 than those not receiving antibiotics". The risk for asthma doubled (100% increase) in children receiving antibiotics during their first year. Do you think that maybe its time to avoid antibiotics?
Another Dirty Little Secret of America's Medical Community
However, the most shocking results of the study found that people on the long-acting inhalers were four to six times more likely to die of an asthma attack than those on placebo (which, by the way, was itself a less potent medication and not a true placebo. In other words, the placebo was not really a placebo. If a true placebo were used, the results would probably have been far more dramatic). Use inhalers to treat you or your child's asthma, and you double your chances ending up in the hospital, while multiplying your chances of ending up in a pine box. Gulp!
"What we have here is a drug that increases the number of people who will die from the disease it is treating," said lead author Shelley Salpeter of Stanford University. "The long-acting bronchodilators can help reduce symptoms for many people, but we think the price in terms of serious side effects and deaths is unacceptable."
The analysis, published in a 2006 issue of Annals of Internal Medicine, suggests that these drugs should be taken off the market. "The use of long-acting [bronchodilators] could be associated with a clinically significant number of unnecessary hospitalizations, intensive care unit admissions and deaths each year," the authors wrote. "Black box warnings on the labeling for these agents clearly outline the increased risk for asthma-related deaths associated with their use, but these warnings have not changed prescribing practices of physicians."
One of the long-lasting bronchodilators is Advair, made by GLAXOSMITHKLINE. It brings in several billion dollars a year for the company, making it the nation's fifth biggest-selling drug (nearly four million patients a year use it), according to IMS Health, which tracks health data. In the new analysis, the authors estimated that Advair "may be responsible for as many as 4,000 of the 5,000 asthma-related deaths each year in the United States." If this does not freak you out just a little bit, nothing will!
An FDA advisory panel meeting was held to discuss whether these drugs should be taken off the market. Although the panel concluded that they should not, one result of the meeting was a demand for stronger language in the black-box warning. They came up with an Advisory Warning that says: "Even though LABAs decrease the frequency of asthma episodes, these medicines may make asthma episodes more severe when they occur. . . . LABAs should not be the first medicine used to treat asthma. LABAs should be added to the asthma treatment plan only if other medicines do not control asthma, including the use of low-or-medium dose corticosteroids." I could write a book on corticosteroids, but needless to say, they are no less dangerous an option for asthma than the LABA's! When are people going to learn? As long as Big Pharma has something to say about it; never!
If you want to understand how to deal with ASTHMA naturally, you have to understand two simple principles: INFLAMMATION & CHIROPRACTIC. Otherwise you will be at the mercy of the Drug Companies, and the deadly products they continue to push via your doctor.
WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING
ASTHMA MEDS CAN BE DEADLY!
- Number of non-institutionalized adults who currently have asthma: 17.5 million
- Percent of non-institutionalized adults who currently have asthma: 7.7
- Number of children who currently have asthma: 7.0 million
- Percent of children who currently have asthma: 9.4%
- Number of visits (to physician offices, hospital outpatient and emergency departments) with asthma as primary diagnosis: 17.0 million
- Number of discharges with asthma as first-listed diagnosis: 456,000
- Average length of stay: 3.4 days
- Number of deaths: 3,447
This statistic on asthma-related deaths is too low. If you stick around for tomorrow's column, you will see that. I have seen the death stats for American Asthma put at almost 10,000 a year. Asthma is the chronic INFLAMMATORY disease of the airways, and is characterized by recurring symptoms, broncho-spasm, and subsequent airway obstruction. Symptoms include wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath. How is it typically dealt with? Inhalers. How should it be dealt with? That one is easy --- firstly with DIET, and CHIROPRACTIC!
Because ASTHMA is based on INFLAMMATION, it is largely a disease of lifestyle. Because Chiropractic Adjustments affect both the nerves that control breathing, as well as the part of brainstem that regulate respiration, asthma can often times be effectively managed with methods that are actually safe. Is chiropractic safer than inhalers? You will have to come back tomorrow to answer this question, but suffice it to say that the scientific studies on CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS FOR CHILDREN WITH ASTHMA, are overwhelmingly supportive of its safety record as well as its effectiveness. But how? It all comes back to the NERVE SYSTEM.
When vertebrate get misaligned, or loose their normal ability to move freely on each other, bad things happen. One of these is nerve interference. Irritate a nerve, and irritate wherever that nerve goes. I cannot tell you how many children (and adults) with asthma, I have successfully treated over the years. And for those whose cases are more severe; there may be an underlying issue that requires testing. The bottom line? You do not want your child on inhalers, if they can be helped by more conservative (non-deadly means). Oh, you mean to tell me that you had not heard that Asthma Inhalers can be deadly? You'll have to stick around for tomorrow's column in order to learn that MOST (the studies say 80%) of the deaths attributed to Asthma are actually caused not by the asthma itself, but by the inhalers.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration