PRACTICAL PAIN MANAGEMENT TALKS ARTHRITIS DRUGS
"The risk [of death from using anti-inflammatory meds] increases almost twentyfold for those over 75." From the UK's premier journal on "Evidence-Based Medicine", Bandolier. The article was called, "NSAIDs and Adverse Effects".
"An estimated 10-20% of NSAID patients experience DYSPEPSIA, and NSAID-associated upper gastrointestinal adverse events are estimated to result in 103,000 hospitalizations and 16,500 deaths per year in the United States, and represent 43% of drug-related emergency visits. Many of these events are avoidable; a review of physician visits and prescriptions estimated that unnecessary prescriptions for NSAIDs were written in 42% of visits." From a December 2011 article (How Serious are NSAIDs Side Effects?) on the Painkiller Awareness website. This article was quoting from a study published in the June 2006 issue of the British Medical Journal (BMJ).
Most people are aware of some of the dangers associated with CORTICOSTEROIDS. But despite the fact that there are hundreds of studies showing how dangerous --- and even deadly --- NSAIDs are, this fact seems to go over the heads of the majority of our population. The truth is, before Vioxx was taken off the market almost a decade ago, NSAIDS were a "Top 20" leading cause of death in the US (I have seen both 17th and 13th kicked around). When I first saw these statistics, I remember thinking how crazy it was that so many Americans who were terrified of CHIROPRACTORS were completely unfazed by taking copious amounts of Anti-Inflammatory medications. Why was the cause of death for these people taking anti-inflammatory drugs? Along with the GI Bleeds (bleeding ulcers), Cardiovascular problems led the list. Exactly how bad is this problem today? Frankly, it is out of control. Case in point, two studies published back in 2011.
The May 2011 issue of the Journal of the American Hearth Association followed up by looking at over 83,000 patients. What did their study have to say on the matter? "Overall, NSAID treatment was significantly associated with an increased risk of death / recurrent MI [Myocardial Infarction ---- Heart Attack]. Despite the fact that nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are contraindicated among patients with established cardiovascular disease, many receive NSAID treatment anyway...... Even short-term treatment with most NSAIDs was associated with increased risk of death and recurrent MI in patients with prior MI. Neither short- nor long-term treatment with NSAIDs is advised in this population, and any NSAID use should be limited from a cardiovascular safety point of view."
Why don't you take a look at THIS POST on my "Top Ten" ways for dealing with Arthritis Pain naturally? Believe me when I tell you; your heart will thank you for it.
NEW CAUSES AND POTENTIAL "CURES"
FOR AUTOIMMUNITY, INCLUDING RA?
NOT NEW. MORE OF THE SAME OLD STUFF I'VE BEEN SHOWING YOU FOR YEARS
The inflamed joints and systemic inflammation characteristic of early rheumatoid arthritis (RA) have been linked with an altered pattern of gut microbial colonization, suggesting a new explanation for autoimmunity and having potential implications for treatment.... 75% of patients with new-onset, untreated RA had a distinct predominance of intestinal microbiota, with an expansion of pro-inflammatory Prevotella copri. As reported by Nancy Walsh in yesterday's edition of MedPage Today --- research led by Dr Dan Littman (MD / Ph.D) of New York University
WARNING WARNING WARNING DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
Once a person get severe enough and their health degrades below a certain point, diet changes (HERE), taking HSO PROBIOTICS, and other interventions might not be enough to solve these problems. Not that I would ever suggest you try this without a doctor's supervision, but in Europe, they are effectively treating Autoimmunity via STOOL TRANSPLANTS. Yeah; you heard me correctly the first time. In Europe, they are solving all kinds of cases of AUTOIMMUNITY by flushing out the bowel via enemas or colonic irrigation procedures, and then reintroducing good bacteria via a healthy "stool" donor. The process is really not all that complicated (roughly speaking, 2 oz of donor feces are collected, liquified, and then 'injected' back up into the colon of the ill individual) .
If this post is speaking to you, go to MedPage Today and read the entire article. Better yet, if you really want to get educated about the way(s) that all of this works together for health or illness, start clicking the above links. I have many articles similar to this one.
HOW TO HELP ARTHRITIS PAIN
An estimated 50 million U.S. adults (about 1 of 5) report having doctor-diagnosed arthritis. The lifetime risk of developing knee osteoarthritis that causes pain is 45%. Researchers estimate that 57% of people who have had a knee injury and 60% of people who are obese will develop osteoarthritis. Among U.S. adults with arthritis, nearly half (47%) have at least one other disease or condition. In addition, more than half of adults with heart disease (57%) or diabetes (52%) and more than one-third with high blood pressure (44%) or obesity (36%) also have arthritis. Cherry Picked from the CDC's website (Arthritis: Meeting the Challenge of Living Well At A Glance 2013)
Even though there are nearly 200 different kinds of arthritis, we are going to discuss the most common --- Osteoarthritis, aka DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS (or DJD) as opposed to Systemic Arthritis (things like RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS). Bear in mind that for the most part, what I am going to show you will help (not cure, but help) virtually all forms of arthritis. Here are some simple rules to follow when trying to solve your Arthritis problem.
- THINK SYSTEMICALLY: This means that you cannot simply think in terms of, "GEE MY KNEE HURTS". You have to think of solving your problem in terms of your whole body. If the treatment you receive is solely focused on the local area(s) of pain, I promise that the boat will be missed as far as long-term relief is concerned. Allow me to give you an example. I do a lot of work with folks who have various kinds of TENDINOSIS. Because I receive a steady barrage of "CAN YOU HELP ME?" emails concerning Tendinosis, I wrote THIS POST for Tendinosis.org (and then THIS POST for my own site). They should help you understand my point.
- UNDERSTAND INFLAMMATION: Although I touched on this earlier, if you do not understand what INFLAMMATION is (not to mention its relationship to both FIBROSIS / SCAR TISSUE and DEGENERATION / DETERIORATION, you will be hard-pressed to help yourself. As crazy as it sounds, I don't find one in one thousand people who have any sort of idea what Inflammation really is (even though most think that they do) or that it is the NUMBER ONE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH in America. And for some strange reason, doctors seem to be keeping this information to themselves.
- UNDERSTAND THE POTENTIAL DRIVERS OF INFLAMMATION: The things that drive Inflammation can be anything from food sensitivities (GLUTEN is a biggie), to BLACK MOLD, to PARASITES, to Metal Toxicity (lead, MERCURY, ALUMINUM), to EMF's, to Chemical Toxicity, to STRESS, to LEAKY WHATEVER SYNDROME, to who-knows-what else. As you can see, the list is fairly extensive.
- EAT A DIET BASED ON WHOLE FOODS: A WHOLE FOOD diet is a wonderful starting point as far as helping people with Arthritis. I would, however, suggest that you need to go beyond that.
- GO PALEO: I have quite a bit of material on the PALEO DIET on my website. If you want to read a short post on why Paleo is generally considered the best way for chronically ill people to eat, HERE is the (very short) post. Bottom line; a Paleo Diet cuts potentially reactive foods out of the diet.
- CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR: UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR is being tied to virtually every single health problem under the sun --- even in the absence of DIABETES. This is partly because sugar itself is massively inflammatory (HERE). I hate to break it to those of you with a sweet tooth, but if you skip this essential part of the program, you will shoot yourself in the foot when it comes to helping yourself with Arthritis.
- STAY AWAY FROM FOOD ADDITIVES, PRESERVATIVES, AND EXCITOTOXINS: These things can all drive Inflammation. Furthermore, excitotoxins (MSG and ASPARTAME) stimulate pain pathways. For those of you struggling with Arthritis, this can be a deal breaker. Click on the links to learn more.
- AVOID TRANS FATS LIKE THE PLAGUE: Do not listen to those so-called 'experts' who would lump saturated fat (like that found in red meat) with Trans Fats (HERE). TRANS FATS are a different animal altogether, and one of the single most inflammatory substances you can put in your mouth. The difference between Trans Fats and other inflammatory substances is that when you eat Trans Fats, they get incorporated into your cell membranes. This leads to a whole array of health problems including CHRONIC PAIN, DIABETES, as well as many others. The real kicker is that these man-made fats have a half-life of about 50 days. This means that three months after your moment of weakness, 25% of the Trans Fats from those Oreos you binged on is still a part of your cells. If you simply Google Trans Fats Chronic Pain, you'll see what I mean (almost 100,000 hits).
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER: I should not have to say it at this point, but water that is free of HALIDES is critical for good health. There really is no substitute for lubricating your joints. Not coffee. Not tea. And certainly not SODA or DIET SODA. Water and lots of VEGETABLES to alkalize your body (HERE). Besides being an inflammatory condition, arthritis is likewise an acidic condition.
- EXERCISE, STRETCH, MOVE: There is an old saying in the field of physical medicine and rehab that says, "Motion is Lotion". Likewise, we have all heard the old saying, "Use it or lose it". These are more true than most people have any idea. In fact, one of the main culprits in DEGENERATIVE OSTEOARTHRITIS is loss of normal joint motion. Figure out a way that you can move, stretch, and exercise, and do it. HERE is a great starting point for some of you (modify and simplify it).
- COLD LASER, CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS, AND TISSUE REMODELING: Although this is not something you'll be able to do by yourself, these three things are huge in coping with the Chronic Pain of Arthritis. CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS and SCAR TISSUE REMODELING help to restore motion once the affected joint is free of FASCIAL ADHESIONS and TENDINOSIS. The COLD LASER is the icing on the cake because it has the ability to penetrate deep into the tissue to provide a boost of ATP (cellular energy) for helping with tissue repair, healing, and regeneration.
- FIX YOUR GUT: Anytime we talk about INFLAMMATORY CONDITIONS or anything to do with the Immune System (yes; many kinds of Arthritis are AUTOIMMUNE), you have to be thinking about GUT HEALTH. Fully 80% of your entire Immune System is found in your Gut (HERE). There is a strong possibility that failing to address this one key issue could be sabotaging your entire health and causing or at least contributing to your Arthritis pain. For more information, read what Dr. Oz had to say about LEAKY GUT SYNDROME.
- TAKE THE RIGHT SUPPLEMENTS: While this is important, it is never a substitute for a clean, healthy diet. Many people want to take supplements and then eat whatever they please. Sorry, but it just doesn't work like this. On the other hand, there are some supplements that I would highly recommend if you have Arthritis. Unless you live in Alaska and are living on wild salmon, you need to take PGFO. There are also some good joint formulas out there with Glucosamine, MSM, as well as anti-inflammatory herbs like TUMERIC, Circumin, Ginger, Boswellia, Bromelain, Berry extracts, etc, etc, etc. Raw, unpasteurized, Apple Cider Vinegar is also a wonderful supplement that helps to maintain the STOMACH ACID, while keeping the rest of the body alkali.
- GET TO YOUR OPTIMAL WEIGHT: I hated to include this here. Unfortunately, DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS --- by far America's number one form of Arthritis ---- is intimately related to OBESITY. Google "Arthritis Obesity" and you'll find enough material to keep you reading for decades (well over 2 million hits). Suffice it to say that every additional pound you carry puts that much more mechanical stress on your joints --- particularly your spine, knees, hips, and feet / ankles. If you are serious about losing weight, HERE is how I would recommend you go about doing it (after, of course, you have checked to make sure it's OK with your doctor).
As you can see from the things on this list, you cannot always trust your doctor to really 'help' you with Arthritis. Oh sure, they can prescribe you a bunch of anti-inflammatory and pain medications (HERE). But these are never beneficial for the long haul, and they always carry a host of serious side effects. And as for surgery for arthritis, read THIS and THIS before even thinking about it. Knowledge is power. Once you understand what Inflammation is, you can begin to use your knowledge to help yourself squelch it. Hang in there because it gets easier the longer you do it!
(DEGENERATIVE JOINT DISEASE)
A PARADIGM SHIFT DESIGNED TO MISLEAD THE MASSES
THE TOP CAUSES OF SPINAL DEGENERATION
- AGE: Like I said earlier, if we live long enough, we will all end up with at least some degenerative changes in our spines. It's the nature of the beast. However, you must also be aware that this happens to be the most convenient scapegoat for CHRONIC NECK PAIN (or for that matter back pain, shoulder pain, etc, etc) as well. Just remember that science has shown that spinal degeneration --- especially in the elderly --- does not correlate to neck pain as well as you would think (HERE).
- THE ABNORMAL BIOMECHANICS CAUSED BY OLD INJURIES & ABNORMAL POSTURES: Cartilage and Spinal Discs have virtually no blood supply. Why does this matter? Because blood brings the things that cells, organs, and tissues need to live (water, nutrients, oxygen). It also prevents cellular toxicity by carrying away waste products. Loss of, or abnormal joint motion is a known cause of Degenerative Arthritis. Over time, ABNORMAL BIOMECHANICS cause degeneration; while degeneration causes abnormal biomechanics. More on this in a moment.
- PROCESSED FOODS: The brilliant dentist, DR. WESTON PRICE, wrote the book on this very subject back in 1939 (Nutrition & Physical Degeneration). He and his wife traveled the world, seeking out 10 cultures that had examples of indigenous people who had never been introduced to processed food living alongside people who were eating processed food (mostly commercially milled flour and white sugar) --- the pictures alone are worth the price of admission. Suffice it to say that Dr. Price (a dentist) shows you proof positive that besides making you fat and causing a whole host of well-understood health problems, processed foods destroy / rot the structure of the physical body ---- BONES AND TEETH.
The problem is, it has become easy ----- "convenient" might be a better word ----- for the medical community to blame all degenerative changes in the spine and skeletal system on age. Well after all Mrs. Jones; you just have to expect this kind of thing. (While patting your shoulder, nodding the head, and looking at you with that "sorry; it's just too bad" look) You just aren't as young as you used to be. Why is it convenient to tell all patients stories like this? Because it is a statement that contains enough truth, no matter how old or young you are, to make us all think it is true. Besides that, it goes hand in hand with the marketing coup that has been accomplished over the past 5-10 years. You see; if doctors can convince their patients that most of their health problems (including Degenerative Arthritis) are caused by age and not lifestyle, they can sell them on the new name change --- DJD / DDD. And then they can sell them on a lifetime of drugs and surgery. That's right Mrs Jones; you now have a "disease" in your spine.
Our medical community has bailed on the old names used for describing this process (as well as the explanations of why it came to be there in the first place) and replaced them with "diseases". For those with degeneration in the spine we now have Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD), and for those whose problems involve non-spinal joints we have Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD). Many times these two terms are used interchangeably.
It is a great tactic if your goals are financially motivated. Tack the word "disease" onto the end of just about any health problem, tell people that there is really nothing that can be done about it other than taking various DRUGS and INJECTIONS, then let them know that SURGERY is inevitable. It's just a matter of time Mrs Jones. But is this being fair with patients? Is it being truthful? Is it looking out for the patient's best interest? I say not! Educating patients about the way that this process really works? There is too much money at stake to tell people the truth. Besides, it would require some extra time and effort.
It is critical to understand that even subtle changes in joint motion that result from CAR WRECKS, heavy or repetitive work over time, EXPOSURE TO CONCRETE, POOR POSTURE, SPORTS INJURIES, or any other things that change the way that joints work, have the ability to cause joint degeneration. Loss of joint motion causes degeneration, but degeneration causes loss of joint motion. It becomes a terribly vicious cycle that is seemingly always blamed on one's age, when the reality is that DJD (or whatever name it's going by these days) is actually a COMBINATION PROBLEM --- a mixture of both inflammation and poor mechanics.
Tackling degenerative spines the natural way can produce amazing results. Sometimes this is best served with CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS. Often times TISSUE REMODELING can be a huge part of the solution. At other times, COLD LASER THERAPY might be called for. Many of these approaches will need some form of NUTRITIONAL SUPPORT --- particularly if your diet has been poor over the years. Sometimes, combinations of these things are required. Whatever the case, it's imperative to deal with the underlying inflammation.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration