GROSS FINANCIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST
MERCOLA INTERVIEWS DR GOLOMB
THEIR FILTHY TRAIL OF DISABILITY, DESTRUCTION, AND CHRONIC PAIN
One of the earliest "official" warnings by the FDA that Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics can cause joint pain and TENDINOSIS / Tendon Rupture came out eight years ago. Look at what Todd Zwillich wrote clear back in July of 2008 for that bastion of truth, WebMD (FDA Warning: Cipro May Rupture Tendons ---- Agency Issues 'Black Box' Warning for Antibiotics Known as Fluoroquinolones).
"The new warnings apply to fluoroquinolones, a class of antibiotics that includes the popular drug Cipro. The FDA has told companies that the drugs must now carry "black box" warnings alerting doctors and patients that the drugs can increase risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture in some patients. Fluoroquinolones have carried similar warnings for years, but officials say they continue to receive reports of safety problems. A "black box" warning is the FDA's sternest warning. Most of the tendinitis and tendon ruptures affect the Achilles tendon, behind the ankle. But the agency has also received reports of tendinitis and ruptures in the shoulder and hand. Researchers don't know exactly what fluoroquinolones do that promotes tendon rupturing. Theories suggest the drug may impede collagen formation or interrupt blood supply in joints. FDA officials would not confirm the number of reports of ruptures it has received, citing the ongoing litigation."
Unfortunately for the general public, this class of antibiotic is no different than other drugs or VACCINES when it comes to "Underreporting". Scores of studies reveal that only 1% to 10% of drug reactions are ever reported --- HERE). Although the government tells us that Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics only affect about 1 in 25,000 people, I will assure you that this number is low --- way too low. In 25 years of busy rural practice, I have probably, give or take, seen 25,000 unique individuals. According to the FDA, this means I should have seen one case of tendon problem caused by Flouroquinolones. The problem is, have seen dozens of such people who have been messed up by varying degrees by these drugs (and like STATIN DRUGS or CORTICOSTEROIDS; who knows how many others who not put two and two together concerning what messed them up). In fact, this problem is so common that there is actually a term used to describe it --- being "Floxed" (the name comes from the fact that there are about a hundred different Fluoroquinolones whose names end with "floxacin").
I see this problem as having two different layers. Firstly, is the underreporting mentioned above. It's virtually impossible to argue that the vast majority of physicians have totally ignored this phenomenon. They continue to prescribe drugs like Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) at the same rate they always have. Secondly, what do we know about doctor's prescription habits for ANTIBIOTICS IN GENERAL? Only that study after study continues to say that half or more are completely unnecessary or improperly prescribed (HERE). Cipro achieved rock star status shortly after the towers fell in 2001. If you don't remember, just Google "anthrax scare cipro". Because so many people now ask for it by name, it is frequently prescribed for things it has no business being prescribed for such as SINUS INFECTIONS and UPPER-RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS (colds and bronchitis) -- almost all of which are viral. Or THE FLU, which is always viral.
What does the federal government actually say about Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics on their website? Glad you asked. In light of the dozens upon dozens of citizen websites and message boards warning of the dangers of this particular class of antibiotic, we shouldn't surprised that the FDA has chimed in as well (other than the brand new warning at the top of this post).
"CIPRO belongs to a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones. CIPRO can cause side effects that may be serious or even cause death. If you get any of the following serious side effects, get medical help right away. Tendon rupture or swelling of the tendon (tendinitis). Pain, swelling, tears and inflammation of tendons including the back of the ankle (Achilles), shoulder, hand, or other tendon sites can happen in people of all ages who take fluoroquinolone antibiotics, including CIPRO..... Sometimes infections are caused by viruses rather than by bacteria. Examples include viral infections in the sinuses and lungs, such as the common cold or flu. Antibiotics, including CIPRO, do not kill viruses."
In that November meeting from last year, it was reported that since 2010, approximately 23 million Americans are taking these drugs --- each and every year. No matter how you slice it folks, that's a lot of people. Furthermore, the largest group taking this class of drug are those with UTI's (Urinary Tract Infections). Although this problem can affect folks (usually women) of any age, it's typically found in the elderly ---- those who are already at greater risk for tendon rupture.
If you are finding yourself struggling with chronic health issues of any sort, there's almost always a natural solution. But it depends on whether or not you are willing to study, learn, and make some changes in the way you live your life. To see what I'm talking about, take a quick peek at THIS POST.
IN THREE DECADES, ANTIBIOTICS PREDICTED TO CAUSE MORE DEATHS THAN CANCER
"If we fail to act, we are looking at an almost unthinkable scenario where antibiotics no longer work and we are cast back into the dark ages of medicine." Prime Minister of Great Britain, David Cameron, speaking of the study we are discussing below.
I assumed (correctly) that the segment pertained to a study that came out in the last few days of 2015 in the Review on Antimicrobial Resistance. The study blamed most of the problem on ANTIBIOTICS USED FOR COMMERCIALLY-RAISED MEAT, but, like the doctors from The Doctors, it laid part of the blame at the feet of both physicians and patients. Their website states.....
"Routine surgeries and minor infections will become life- threatening once again and the hard won victories against infectious diseases of the last fifty years will be jeopardized. Hospital stays and expenses, for both public health care providers and for out of pocket payers will increase significantly. Drug resistant infections are already on the rise with numbers suggesting that up to 50,000 lives are lost each year to antibiotic-resistant infections in Europe and the US alone. Globally, at least 700,000 die each year of drug resistance in illnesses...."
SUPERBUGS and nasocomicals such as C. DIFF are downright scary. Because of this fact, I guess we should be thrilled that the Review on Antimicrobial Resistance has been, "assessing solutions to" this problem. Other than playing the part of 'Captain Obvious' and suggesting a ban on universal antibiotics given to farm animals for the express purpose of making them fat, their chief idea should scare the pants off you ---- doubling down on worldwide forced vaccination policies.
Just last month, The Review published a paper on this very topic called Vaccines and Alternative Approaches: Reducing our Dependence on Antimicrobials. "Vaccines prevent infections and so reduce the need to use antibiotics. This is true for vaccines that prevent bacterial infections, and it is also true for vaccines that prevent viral infections, such as the flu, which should not be treated with antibiotics anyway. Vaccines and other alternative approaches to reducing our dependence on antibiotics in food production should be explored urgently."
Turning increasing segments of healthcare over to the government is bringing this issue to a head. You might be one of those people who doesn't care how many shots you or your children get each year, or why the incidence of CHRONIC DISEASES HAS GONE THROUGH THE STRATOSPHERE. If so, that's OK. It's a free country (at least for now). Just make sure you are making those decisions from a position of knowledge (i.e, don't take your doctor's word for anything). On the other hand, if you are concerned about the VACCINE WARS THAT ARE PLAYING ON THE HORIZON like a steadily creeping mirage, get involved because whether you like it or not, your tax dollars are already paying for this. "The Review recommended Global Innovation Fund and long-term sustained funding from philanthropic, public and private sources.... and strengthening the market for new vaccines and alternatives through interventions such as market entry rewards". Back to The Doctors.
Here's why things aren't going to change any time soon as far as the average physician's day-to-day antibiotic prescription habits are concerned. Dr. Rachael Ross --- the program's resident "sexologist" --- looked at the live studio audience and essentially blamed them for this problem. "It really does start with you guys, to the point where you say, 'no doc, I don't want antibiotics'. Or you stop asking us for them because...... it's tough; you have a patient who's been sick for seven or eight days and they come in saying, 'doc, I just came in cause I need antibiotics.....".
Horse-apples. It starts with doctors stepping up to the plate, showing some gumption, and actually following their profession's own Evidence-Base on the topic! What does she think people go to the doctor for? Comfort? Assurance? Advice? Heck no; they can get that from their dog and Google! People aren't going to the doctor so they can hear that they've got the flu, a bug, are sick, have a cold, an upper respiratory infection, a sore throat, etc, etc, etc, and then return home empty-handed. They're going for the express purpose of getting drugs --- namely antibiotics. And if their doctor won't prescribe them, they'll just go down the street and find one who will (or borrow some of mom's leftovers).
And as far as antibiotics and health are concerned, let's forget about the "Superbugs" for a moment. Take a look at THIS POST or THESE POSTS to see why I have been warning my patients for two and a half decades that antibiotics are arguably the singularly worst substance they are regularly exposing themselves / their families to. If you are interested in truly changing your health, HERE is the post you need to read. Unfortunately, as long as those in charge of healthcare have such massive financial interests at stake, you can forget about being able to trust EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE.
CRIPPLED BY ANTIBIOTICS
I too took cipro for a week and was so sick the whites of my eyes became inflamed and it was excruciating to blink. I have tendon issues and fascia stiffness as well as neuropathy in both legs from the calves down. I'm so sorry to hear about your outcome. After reading your comment it makes sense to me why I can't run anymore and I'm in so much pain all the time. I also had two tendons --- the pereoneals --- worked on and I still can't walk 1/4 of a mile without limping and exhausting myself with pain or fatigue. My Achilles' tendon has contracted and won't bend my ankle up and more than 90 degrees. This lack of dorsiflexion inhibits my ability to walk. Even after gastric recession [a surgery] it just won't budge. My prayers go out to you.
Thank you Dr. Russell for you informative posts.
I am truly crushed when I get these emails. The problem is, I get them all the time. I have no idea what the mechanism is for the tissue destruction, or how to help these people. My TISSUE REMODELING does not work on these people, and the problem is not simply "INFLAMMATION". The world wide web is littered with sites, individuals, and message boards, dealing with this issue. If you are interested in learning more, simply thumb through my posts on ANTIBIOTICS and look for Fluoroquinolones (or just click on the "Floxed" link at the top of the page).
NEW REASONS FOR DOING SO
The same journal ran an "Editorial Comment" by a team of three Israeli researchers called Pro-Arrhythmic Effects of Noncardiac Medications: Lessons From Macrolide Antibiotics. Despite the Chinese researchers suggesting that their findings were novel and at least somewhat surprising, the Israelis countered by opening their paper thusly; "As early as 1923, when quinidine was first used as antiarrhythmic therapy, a disturbing phenomenon was noted: some patients treated with quinidine suffered from sudden collapses, sometimes ending in unexpected deaths." They went on to talk about the first study looked at in the previous paragraph --- from 1966. There's not really anything new here, as these two studies are 50 years old, and 93 years old respectively. The authors go on to say that, "Drug-induced LQTS [a form of arrythmia] is a nightmare for the pharmaceutical industry," because it is so common. To hell with BIG PHARMA; what about a century's worth of patients who have lived their own "nightmare" --- and been consistently lied to about why it's happening?
In other news, FLUOROQUINALONE ANTIBIOTICS took yet another shot to the chin when it was reported in this month's issue of JAMA Internal Medicine (Risk of Aortic Dissection and Aortic Aneurysm in Patients Taking Oral Fluoroquinolone) that taking these drugs leaves you with a nearly 100% increased chance of having a dissecting aneurysm within the two months following exposure --- something that hits close to home as an aortic aneurysm is what killed my best friend when he was 16. This class of Antibiotics (levofloxacin (Levaquin), ciprofloxacin (Cipro), moxifloxacin (Avelox), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxin), gemifloxacin (Factive), and a slew of similar) are so dangerous (see the above link) that earlier this month, the FDA issued yet another statement concerning their safety ---- even though much of this is OLD NEWS.
It has been known for decades that these drugs disrupt COLLAGEN. While this phenomenon can certainly lead to aneurysms (there are 15,000 people die from aneurysms each year in the US) a much more common problem is what they do to connective tissues such as LIGAMENTS, FASCIA, and most particularly TENDONS. People who are "floxed" (those who have a musculoskeletal reaction to Fluoroquinalone Antibiotics) are so great in number that I get a fairly steady barrage of emails asking if I can help (unfortunately I cannot). Even though the FDA formally warned people about Fluoroquinalone Antibiotics back in 2008, they issued yet another warning last week.
As you might imagine, in the hearing itself as well as in any number of articles written about this phenomenon, the effects of these drugs were downplayed dramatically by interviewed physicians. However, Dr. Susan Nicholson, a Safety Surveillance and Risk Management specialist for Johnson & Johnson (they make Levaquin) revealed to the committee (probably inadvertently) that only a small number of these reactions (12%) are being reported by treating physicians, with the rest being reported by patients.
The dirty little secret is that this is exactly how reporting of adverse events works in nearly all cases, including vaccine reactions (HERE). Thus, if the doctor is not reporting to the proper agencies (studies say such reactions are only reported between 1 in 10 times and 1 in 100 times), the reactions never become official statistics. Likewise, OVER-REPORTING certain diseases skews stats as well. What they say is very true, "figures never lie, but liars figure". The takeaway from this is that the FDA admitted at this meeting (nearly unanimously) that the "EVIDENCE" does not support using this class of drugs for many (most) of the things they are commonly used for.
This next study has to do with the Antibiotics prescribed to residents of nursing homes. No one, and I mean no one, is more heavily (and unnecessarily) medicated than this group of people. The authors of a recent study in JAMA Internal Medicine (Effects of Excessive Antibiotic Use in Nursing Homes) let the cat out of the bag by revealing that, "Antibiotics are one of the most frequently prescribed medications in nursing homes where 6% to 10% of residents are taking antibiotics at any given time and more than half receive at least one antibiotic prescription in a single year. Much of this use is inappropriate. An estimated 25% to 75% of antibiotic prescriptions do not meet clinical guidelines for appropriate prescribing." Did you catch that? As many as three fourths of all Antibiotic prescriptions don't meet criteria. I guess that goes along perfectly with their INEFFECTIVE FLU SHOTS as well.
If you want a healthy family and healthy children, there are some things I urge you to at least contemplate. Firstly, stay away from Antibiotics unless the situation is life-threatening. When Antibiotics are used here in America, you need to be aware that the majority of the time they are not clinically indicated --- even if you do have a bacterial infection. Secondly, because I mentioned it, I would urge you to think long and hard about VACCINES as well. It's not the immediate reactions I am most concerned about --- it's the long term effects. There are few things that foul GUT HEALTH more than these two classes of drugs. If you are looking for the solution to staying healthy through the holidays, take a look at THIS.
ANTIBIOTICS CAUSE OBESITY IN CHILDREN
Brand new research from this week's issue of The International Journal of Obesity (Antibiotic Use and Childhood Body Mass Index Trajectory) as well as a study from the July issue of the same journal (Prenatal Exposure to Systemic Antibacterials and Overweight and Obesity in Danish Schoolchildren: A Prevalence Study) reinforce this concept.
After looking at the medical records of almost 164,000 school-aged children, the first study (it was done at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore) stated that, "Higher cumulative orders [numbers of Antibiotic prescriptions] were associated with progressive weight gain. Among children with an antibiotic order in the prior year and at least seven lifetime orders, antibiotics (all classes combined) were associated with weight gain. When antibiotic classes were evaluated separately, the largest weight gain was associated with macrolide use. Antibiotic use may influence weight gain throughout childhood and not just during the earliest years as has been the primary focus of most prior studies." Macrolides are the drugs that end in "icin" or "ycin" and are said to be 'potent inhibitors' of the P-450 CYTOCHROME SYSTEM. Foul this system up and you will have more problems than you can shake a stick at --- particularly if you are a female (see link).
In the Dutch study, the area of interest was maternal use of Antibiotics on children's weight (Antibiotic use during pregnancy). In this study, nearly 10,000 children were followed, with the results being simple and straightforward; "Prenatal exposure to systemic antibacterials is associated with an increased risk of overweight and obesity at school age." In other words, if mom takes Antibiotics while she is pregnant, Junior's odds of being Obese increase.
What does all this mean? It means that you, as a parent (or maybe a grandparent), have to realize that Antibiotics are one of the single worst things you can do for your family's health --- particularly your children. Once you realize that SUGAR FEEDS INFECTION, dealing with acute illness (most of which is VIRAL ANYWAY) becomes far easier. Every study on Antibiotics is scarier than the one that came out before it. And for heaven's sake, stop saying, "WE HAVEN'T TAKEN THAT MANY". For more information on how to regain your health if you have destroyed it with Antibiotics, GO HERE.
DON'T DESTROY YOUR FAMILY'S HEALTH WITH ANTIBIOTICS!
ANTIBIOTICS AND TYPE II DIABETES
- ANTIBOTICS ARE RELATED TO TYPE II DIABETES: "The odds ratio associating type 2 diabetes with exposure to antibiotics of any type was 1.53 [53% higher]". I read a blog with a number of physicians complaining that we can't tell from this study, whether Diabetes causes the infections, or the infections cause the Diabetes. It's a no-brainer folks --- this pathway works equally well in both directions. Just remember that SUGAR DRIVES virtually every bad outcome in your body from Dysbiosis, to Diabetes, to INFLAMMATION, to infections (HERE), to Cancer (HERE). Whether you are chronically ill, CHRONICALLY INFLAMED, struggling with Type II Diabetes, or simply needing to DROP SOME WEIGHT, the solution is similar for all (I will give it to you at the end of the post).
- THE MORE ANTIBIOTICS YOU TAKE, THE GREATER YOUR RISK OF SERIOUS HEALTH ISSUES: Please note that we are not talking here simply about "ADVERSE EVENTS". Although Antibiotics are heavily associated with adverse events such as TENDON DESTRUCTION, we are talking about the long-term consequences of using drugs that SUPPRESSES YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM by radically altering your MICROBIOME. "A clear dose-response effect was seen with increasing cumulative load of antibiotics."
- WHAT YOU DO FOR YOUR CHILDREN TODAY, WILL AFFECT THEM DECADES FROM NOW: For two and a half decades, I have been beating the drum for doing whatever it takes to keep your children off Antibiotics (HERE). "The increased use of antibiotics in patients with type 2 diabetes was found up to 15 years before diagnosis of type 2 diabetes as well as after the diagnosis."
- ANTIBIOTICS CREATE A VICIOUS CYCLE: According to the venerable Dr. Robert Mendelssohn, few things are scarier than a sick child (HERE). Just remember that giving your children Antibiotics weakens (scratch that) DESTROYS their DEVELOPING Immune Systems. When the child gets sick again because their Immune System is compromised, said infection will once again be treated with --- you guessed it --- Antibiotics. Repeat cycle ad infinitum. What does this do? It leads to THIS LIST of problems. "Our results could support the possibility that antibiotics exposure increases type 2 diabetes risk. However, the findings may also represent an increased demand for antibiotics from increased risk of infections in patients with yet-undiagnosed diabetes." This is exactly what I was speaking about at the beginning of this post.
If you are one of those people who is dizzy from riding the MEDICAL-MERRY-GO-ROUND, let me show you an "EXIT STRATEGY". That's right, you don't have to be sick for the rest of your life. But if you don't make some radical changes for yourself and your children, that's exactly where you are headed.
FEW THINGS WREAK GREATER HAVOC ON YOUR OVERALL HEALTH THAN ANTIBIOTICS
- WHAT IS YOUR MICROBIOME AND WHAT DOES IT DO? Although I have written about the MICROBIOME in the past, this month's issue of the World Journal of Gastroenterology (Role of the Normal Gut Microbiota) sheds some more light on this topic. "Relation between the gut microbiota and human health is being increasingly recognized. It is now well established that a healthy gut flora is largely responsible for overall health of the host. Though the gut microbiota in an infant appears haphazard, it starts resembling the adult flora by the age of 3 years. The normal gut microbiota imparts specific function in host nutrient metabolism, drug metabolism, maintenance of structural integrity of the gut mucosal barrier [OR NOT], immunomodulation, and protection against pathogens. Several factors play a role in shaping the normal gut microbiota. They include the mode of delivery (vaginal or cesarean); diet during infancy (breast milk or formula feeds) and adulthood (vegan based or meat based); and use of antibiotics or antibiotic like molecules that are derived from the environment or the gut commensal community." I can agree with the VAGINAL DELIVERIES / BREAST MILK and ANTIBIOTIC-LIKE DRUGS aspect of this study, but the vegan -vs- meat eater part was addressed HERE.
- DYSBIOSIS IS RELATED TO GLUTEN SENSITIVITY: We've known for years that DYSBIOSIS is intimately related to GLUTEN SENSITIVITY. The only question is which one comes first ---- does the Dysbiosis cause the Gluten Sensitivity or does the Gluten Sensitivity cause the Dysbiosis? This month's issue of the journal Nutrients (Intestinal Microbiota and Celiac Disease: Cause, Consequence or Co-Evolution?) helps shed some light on this topic. "It is widely recognized that the intestinal microbiota plays a role in the initiation and perpetuation of intestinal inflammation in numerous chronic conditions. Most studies report intestinal dysbiosis in celiac disease (CD) patients, untreated and treated with a gluten-free diet (GFD), compared to healthy controls. Indeed, some CD genes and/or their altered expression play a role in bacterial colonization and sensing. In turn, intestinal dysbiosis could promote an abnormal response to gluten or other environmental CD-promoting factors (e.g., infections) in predisposed individuals." While this is an excellent question to be asking (BTW,they do not definitively answer it in this study); because NON-CELIAC GLUTEN SENSITIVITY is infinitely more common than Celiac Disease, we should be asking the same question of it. Best guess is that the pathway works either way, and that either one can cause the other. The discussion in the highlighted paragraph about genes is a great example of EPIGENETICS and the fact that you are less ruled by your genome than you have been led to believe. Also, the second to the last sentence is one reason that people develop HERXHEIMER REACTIONS as they get healthier.
- STUDYING PREGNANT WOMEN'S MICROBIOME CAN PROVIDE INSIGHT INTO THE HEALTH OF THE BABY: This month's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (Temporal and Spatial Variation of the Human Microbiota During Pregnancy) delved into this topic. Their conclusion after looking at 49 women was that, "these findings have important implications for predicting premature labor, a major global health problem, and for understanding the potential impact of a persistent, altered postpartum microbiota on maternal health, including outcomes of pregnancies......." But what about women who have already had their babies?
- INSULIN RESISTANCE, GESTATIONAL DIABETES, AND TYPE II DIABETES: A study on this very topic (The Stool Microbiota of Insulin Resistant Women with Recent Gestational Diabetes, a High Risk Group for Type 2 Diabetes) was published in this month's issue of Scientific Reports. Considering our national prevalence of Insulin Resistance (PRE-DIABETES) and Gestational Diabetes (a type of Diabetes developed by 10% of pregnant women according to the CDC, with incidence skyrocketing), the findings are not a surprise. "These results suggest that distinctive features of the intestinal microbiota are already present in young adults at risk for Type II Diabetes and that further investigations of a potential pathophysiological role of gut bacteria in early Type II Diabetes development are warranted." In other words, because specific types of Dysbiosis lead to specific diseases, it stands to reason that culturing mom's flora could provide a window into whether or not she is going to develop Type II Diabetes. By the way, Chris Kresser has a great article on pregnancy and Low Carb Diets (HERE).
- ANTIBIOTICS LEAD TO AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES: I could write a book on this subject, but considering we just talked about Type II Diabetes, I think it's only fair to mention Type I Diabetes as well. The results of a study published in this month's issue of the ISME Journal (Prolonged Antibiotic Treatment Induces a Diabetogenic Intestinal Microbiome that Accelerates Diabetes in NOD Mice) were not a surprise. "Accumulating evidence supports that the intestinal microbiome is involved in Type 1 diabetes. To examine the effect of the intestinal microbiota on T1D onset, we manipulated gut microbes by fecal transplantation between non-obese diabetic (NOD) and resistant (NOR) mice and, the oral antibiotic and probiotic treatment of NOD mice. The gut microbiota from NOD mice harbored more pathobionts and fewer beneficial microbes in comparison with NOR mice. Fecal transplantation of NOD microbes induced insulitis in NOR hosts suggesting that the NOD microbiome is diabetogenic. Moreover, antibiotic exposure accelerated diabetes onset in NOD mice..... We conclude that NOD mice harbor gut microbes that induce diabetes and that their diabetogenic microbiome can be amplified early in life through antibiotic exposure. Protective microbes like VSL#3 [Probiotics] are insufficient to overcome the effects of a diabetogenic microbiome." If you want to understand why this last sentence is true, click HERE.
- ANTIBIOTICS MAKE INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE WORSE: This month's issue of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Patterns of Antibiotic Exposure and Clinical Disease Activity in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A 4-year Prospective Study). We already know that Antibiotics (via Dysbiosis) are one of several causal factors for developing IBD. If you already have IBD and take Antibiotics, you will make the problem worse. "Antibiotic-exposed patients were more likely to have Crohn's disease, require narcotics, receive antidepressants, prednisone, or biological therapy. Antibiotic-exposed patients had higher rates of C-reactive protein elevation, and higher health care utilization compared with nonantibiotic-exposed patients." But as miserable as IBD is, it's small potatoes compared to Cancer.
- ANTIBIOTICS INCREASE RISK OF COLON CANCER: It's not news that ANTIBIOTICS CAUSE CANCER. The real question is what kinds of Cancer do Antibiotics put you at risk for? This month's issue of Digestive Diseases and Sciences starts answering this question with a study called (Frequent Use of Antibiotics Is Associated with Colorectal Cancer Risk: Results of a Nested Case-Control Study). The authors, "found an association between the use of antibiotics, especially when used frequently, and the risk of developing CRC." Interestingly enough, they also told us that, "Microbiotical dysbiosis induced by a Western diet seems to be associated with an increased risk of developing colorectal cancer (CRC)". When are we going to get it through our heads that a WHOLE FOOD DIET is the single best way we protect ourselves against ill health?
- LOOKING AT THE INTESTINAL MICRIBIOTA CAN HELP DIAGNOSE CANCER: A certain type of tumor (adenoma) that occurs in the colon has been shown to be detectable according to what kinds of bacteria are living in the lower GI system --- great news considering CT Scans (the most popular way to diagnose Cancer) are themselves a major cause of Cancer (HERE). The April, 2015 issue of EBioMedicine (Fecal Microbiota Characteristics of Patients with Colorectal Adenoma Detected by Screening: A Population-based Study) determined that, "Phylum-level fecal community composition differed significantly between colorectal adenoma (CRA) and normal patients. Screening for colorectal cancer (CRC) and precancerous colorectal adenoma (CRA) can detect curable disease. However, participation in colonoscopy and sensitivity of fecal heme for CRA are low. Note what they are saying here. Not only that we can tell whether or not a person has a certain kind of tumor simply by doing a stool sample, but that the current methods of detection (Fecal Blood and Colonoscopy) --- tests we have been told we must have in order to be healthy --- don't work as well as we've been led to believe. This is more true than you ever imagined (HERE).
- AT LEAST THINK ABOUT TREATING YOUR HEALTH PROBLEMS WITH FMT: FMT (FECAL MICROBIOTA TRANSPLANT) is the new frontier in the war against AUTOIMMUNITY and CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES. The latest edition of PLoS One (Low Level Engraftment and Improvement following a Single Colonoscopic Administration of Fecal Microbiota to Patients with Ulcerative Colitis) would likely agree. This study showed that, "Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) is an investigational treatment for diseases thought to involve alterations in the intestinal microbiota including ulcerative colitis (UC). Case reports have described therapeutic benefit of FMT in patients with UC, possibly due to changes in the microbiota. We measured the degree to which the transplanted microbiota engraft following FMT in patients with UC using a donor similarity index (DSI)". And even though, "no patients remained in remission at 3 months after FMT, following a single colonoscopic fecal transplant, a DSI of 40-50% is achieved in about two-thirds of recipients." All this really tells me that you may need more than one round of FMT --- something that experts are already well aware of. It also tells me that unless you change your diet and feed these critters properly, it won't work nearly as well.
- THE VAST MAJORITY OF YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM IS MADE UP OF BACTERIA: It's not like this is new information either. We learned nearly 20 years ago via peer-review that 80% of your body's Immune System is found in the Gut (HERE). This is why GUT HEALTH is so critical for overall health. It's also an indictment against our medical community for continuing to ignore the HYGIENE HYPOTHESIS. A study from this month's issue of Chinese Medical Journal (Commensal Microbiome Promotes Resistance to Local and Systemic Infections) plainly concludes that, "Diverse microorganisms colonize human environmentally exposed surfaces such as skin, respiratory tract, and gastrointestinal tract. These microbes [have] extensive and diverse impacts on multiple aspects of host biological functions. The commensal microbiome promotes resistance to local and systemic infections, respectively. To protect against the local infections, the microbiome functions contain the following: the competing for sites of colonization, direct production of inhibition molecules or depletion of nutrients needed for pathogens, and priming immune defenses against pathogen insult. At the same time, with the purpose to maintain homeostasis, the commensal bacteria can program systemic signals toward not only local tissue but also distal tissue to modify their function for infections accordingly. Commensal bacteria [your good bacteria] play an essential role in protecting against infections, shaping and regulating immune responses, and maintaining host immune homeostasis [balance]."
Here's the thing; I could do a blog post 10 times this long, each month of the year, year round, and only begin to scratch the surface of what is being published in the peer-reviewed literature (notice that I did not even talk about ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE today). And although there is a (slowly) growing public awareness of this problem, I see very little change in my neck of the woods. Antibiotics are still one of the easiest-to-get drugs on the market.
ANTIBIOTICS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP
TO YOUR POOR HEALTH
(A LITTLE DAB'L RUIN YA)
- Antibiotics are horrendously over-prescribed (HERE)
- Guidelines and Standards of Care for antibiotic use are not being followed and have never really been followed (HERE)
- Antibiotics destroy your Immune System (HERE)
- Antibiotics destroy your children's health (HERE)
- Antibiotics destroy your infant's health (HERE)
- Antibiotics destroy old folks health (HERE)
- Antibiotics cause antibiotic-resistance (HERE)
- Antibiotics cause Inflammation (HERE)
- Antibiotics cause Autoimmunity (see previous link)
- Antibiotics cause Asthma (HERE)
- Antibiotics cause Allergies (HERE)
- Antibiotics cause heart problems (HERE)
- Antibiotics can be deadly for those taking Statin Drugs (HERE)
- Antibiotics contribute to any number of mental / brain issues (HERE)
- Antibiotics lead to weight gain, metabolic syndrome, and Type II Diabetes (HERE)
- Antibiotics cause obesity (HERE)
- Antibiotics destroy tendons (HERE)
- Antibiotics lead to both Leaky Gut Syndrome and Gluten Sensitivity (HERE)
- Antibiotics cause cancer (HERE)
- Antibiotic use frequently cannot be overcome simply by taking Probiotics (HERE)
When I ask people how many Antibiotics they've taken both over their life and in the past few months, the answers vary widely. Some people readily admit that they've been on lots of Antibiotics. Others --- probably the majority ---- say something like this, "I don't really take many Antibiotics". I always have them clarify this answer, because this might mean they haven't taken Antibiotics since 1976, or it could just as easily mean that they 'only' do five or six rounds per year.
As more and more studies on the inverse relationship between Gut Health and Antibiotics come out, we are learning that it doesn't take many Antibiotics to foul one's system, setting you up for some serious health problems throughout your lifetime. This would lead the curious to ask just how many Antibiotics are too many as far as potentially causing adverse health events (otherwise known as "SIDE EFFECTS")? A recent study from DR. MARTIN BLASER of New York University School of Medicine shed some light.
According to the study in last month's issue of Nature Communications (Metabolic and Metagenomic Outcomes from Early-Life Pulsed Antibiotic Treatment), it seems that female mice that were given two of the most widely used antibiotics for children and infants respectively (Amoxicillin and Tylosin) gained more weight, grew bigger bones, and had altered Microbiomes when compared to their untreated sisters. The study stated that......
"Since the 1940s, farmers have added low doses of antibiotics to food or water of livestock for growth promotion (sub-therapeutic antibiotic treatment or STAT). In contrast to farm animals receiving STAT for growth promotion, humans receive 10- to 100-fold higher antibiotic exposures for short courses to treat acute infections (PAT --- therapeutic-dose pulsed antibiotic treatment). We find that early-life PAT leads to alterations in gut microbiome diversity that remained months after antibiotic exposure. Beyond changes in body composition and growth, PAT altered hepatic gene expression and a metabolic hormone level long after antibiotics were stopped, indicating the metabolic effects were systemic."
Dr. Blaser and his team talked about the fact that the Antibiotics disrupt both the number of bacteria in the Gut, as well as their genetic (THINK EPIGENETIC HERE) functions. This, he says, has the potential to disrupt the normal function(s) of the Gut. For instance, one of the things that was done in this study was to shift some of the mice to a high-fat diet about a month and a half in. Not only did the Antibiotic-treated mice not handle this well (it took them approximately 14 times longer to adapt), the mice that were on Tylosin took months to adapt to the change.
Because we are being lied to on a daily basis concerning the benefits of EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE, you'll have to take matters into your own hands if you value your health as well as the health of your family. HERE is ultimately where you want to start. Then make sure to BREAST FEED your babies. And as they move towards adulthood, make sure to follow a protocol similar to THIS ONE -- much of it can be used as a preventative as well as for addressing existing problems.
WHAT DOES THE CURRENT SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE SAY ABOUT DYSBIOSIS?
STAY AWAY FROM ANTIBIOTICS AS THOUGH YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT
Despite the fact that we've known for nearly two decades that 80% of your body's Immune System resides in your Digestive Tract, in the form of bacteria we refer to as your MICROBIOME, nothing is being done about it in the average doctor's office. In fact, if you weren't a regular reader of my site, you might not know much more about this phenomenon than the drivel you see on Yahoo or any of the monthly women's magazines. Unfortunately, if you don't get this figured out, your children will be worse off than you --- far worse. Why? Not only are our collective diets absolutely pathetic, we are killing off our Microbiomes in monstrous fashion ---- often times from birth.
Today we are going to discuss something called DYSBIOSIS. According to the definition provided by Leaky Gut do com, "Dysbiosis refers to a bacterial imbalance in the gut, which can compromise the immune system. It has been said that dysbiosis plays a part in many conditions such as: Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ankylosing Spondylitus, Multiple Sclerosis, Chronic Fatigue. The main causes of Dysbiosis are believed to be antibiotics and pesticides along with other environmental and dietary factors." Farlex's Online Medical Dictionary defines Dysbiosis thusly, "An imbalance in the intestinal bacteria that precipitates changes in the normal activities of the gastrointestinal tract or vagina, possibly resulting in health problems." Just remember that although Dysbiosis (an imbalance in the normal ratio of the bacteria that live both in you and on you) is basically caused by ANTIBIOTICS, non-Antibiotic drugs that have ANTIBIOTIC PROPERTIES, and ENVIRONMENTAL TOXINS, it is fed (perpetuated) by a DIET HIGH IN REFINED CARBS. Are you beginning to see why America provides the perfect environment for Dysbiosis to spread through our citizens like a wildfire?
COMMON HEALTH PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH DYSBIOSIS
I have been warning people for a long time that Antibiotics are one of the single most destructive things you can do for your health (HERE). A study from last month's issue of Cell, Host, & Microbe (Antibiotics, Pediatric Dysbiosis, and Disease) might agree. Listen to these words taken from the study's abstract. "Antibiotics are by far the most common medications prescribed for children. Recent epidemiological data suggests an association between early antibiotic use and disease phenotypes in adulthood. Antibiotic use during infancy induces imbalances in gut microbiota, called dysbiosis. Here, we synthesize current knowledge linking antibiotics, dysbiosis, and disease, and propose a framework for studying antibiotic-related dysbiosis in children. We recommend future studies into the microbiome-mediated effects of antibiotics focused on four types of dysbiosis: loss of keystone taxa, loss of diversity, shifts in metabolic capacity, and blooms of pathogens." Without using these words, I wrote about the loss of keystone taxa and diversity a number of years ago HERE.
Just two months ago, the Journal of Gastroenterology (Gut Microbiota and the Development of Pediatric Diseases) chimed in on this same topic. Follow along to see how critical it is that you take care of your infants properly --- from the very moment they are born. "A huge number of highly diversified microbes live inside and on the human body. They are collectively named microbiota. Many diseases have been linked to an aberrant microbiota in the intestines (dysbiosis) or other parts of the body. Neonates are born sterile, but many parts of their bodies are colonized by various microorganisms thereafter. The composition of the gut microbiota is dynamic, with drastic changes occur during infancy and childhood. It is not surprising that the gut microbiota is related to milk ingested by babies." But all milk is not created equal (HERE).
This study goes on to talk about one of the many ways that Dysbiosis affects children (Maturation of Immune System Responses). When infants / children are not exposed to large quantities of bacteria, the subsequent, "low gut microbiota diversity in early infancy is associated with increased risk of subsequent allergic diseases." I could name all the various diseases they mention, but you will find them scattered throughout this post (or HERE). But it's not just children and infants who are at risk.
The March, 2015 issue of BMC Immunology (Systemic Effects of Gut Microbiota and its Relationship with Disease and Modulation) discusses some of the more common situations associated in one way or another with Dysbiosis such as C-SECTIONS, DECREASED VITAMIN PRODUCTION, AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, IBS, IBD, DEPRESSION, CANCER, BRAIN-RELATED PROBLEMS, OBESITY, and INCREASED INTESTINAL PERMEABILITY. They discuss solutions to said problems using things like PROBIOTICS, PREBIOTICS, and FMT. This study is a great overview for those who are interested.
What about ALLERGIES and ASTHMA? A study from the July, 2015 issue of Current Opinion in Rheumatology (Influence and Effect of the Human Microbiome in Allergy and Asthma) says that, "The emerging view of atopy [allergy] and asthma is one consistently related to inappropriate microbial community composition and function in both the airway and gastrointestinal tract." As you are starting to see, you could substitute almost any disease for the two mentioned above and the statement would still be true. In fact the study's abstract says that, "Perturbation [destruction] of these [bacterial] communities is an emerging characteristic of an increasing number of inflammatory diseases." I have shown you again and again that few in our society truly grasp the implications of the Hygiene Hypothesis (HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE). In fact, it was just this month that the journal Gut carried a study (Identification of an Anti-Inflammatory Protein from Faecalibacterium Prausnitzii, A Commensal Bacterium Deficient in Crohn's Disease) letting us know that certain diseases are being related to the absence of certain compounds made by certain Gut bacteria.
To take this concept a step farther, just look at next month's issue of Current Opinions in Rheumatology (The Intestinal Microbiome in Spondyloarthritis). Spondyloarthritis (any inflammatory arthritic condition affecting the spinal column), includes things like DJD, RA, AS, and a host of others. Listen to what the authors have to say. "Microbial dysbiosis in the gut is emerging as a common component in various inflammatory disorders including spondyloarthritis (SpA). Decreased numbers of Firmicutes, a major phyla of gut commensals, especially the species Faecalibacterium prausnitzii and Clostridium leptum have been found in various inflammatory disorders including SpA and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and could be an important link between SpA and gut inflammation. Multiple studies in ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, juvenile SpA, and animal models of SpA are revealing common bacterial associations among these diseases as well as Inflammatory Bowel Disease."
One of the numerous common Inflammatory Diseases associated with Dysbiosis is Diabetes (both Type I, which is autoimmune, and Type II, which is caused by LIVING THE HIGH CARB LIFESTYLE). I feel vindicated for nearly 25 years of warning my patients to keep their families far away from Antibiotics. Here is yet another reason why. Last month's issue of PLoS One (Antibiotics in Early Life Alter the Gut Microbiome and Increase Disease Incidence in a Spontaneous Mouse Model of Autoimmune Insulin-Dependent Diabetes) reveals that, "even a partial ablation of the gut microbiota, as induced by vancomycin [a potent Antibiotic], significantly increases type 1 diabetes incidence in male non-obese, non-diabetic mice thus prompting for caution in the use of antibiotics in pregnant women and newborns." Last month's issue of Diabetologia (A Model for the Role of Gut Bacteria in the Development of Autoimmunity for Type 1 Diabetes) revealed something similar. "These studies suggest a testable model whereby a diet high in fat and gluten and low in resistant starch may be the primary driver of gut dysbiosis. This dysbiosis may cause a lack of butyrate production by gut bacteria, which, in turn, leads to the development of a permeable gut [Leaky Gut Syndrome] followed by autoimmunity." HERE is my article on Resistant Starch.
A study from last month's issue of Gynecologic Oncology (The Vaginal and Gastrointestinal Microbiomes in Gynecologic Cancers: A Review of Applications in Etiology, Symptoms and Treatment) talked about the relationship between mom's Dysbiosis and her propensity for developing certain kinds of Cancers. "The human microbiome is the collection of microorganisms in the body that exist in a mutualistic relationship with the host. Recent studies indicate that perturbations in the microbiome may be implicated in a number of diseases, including cancer. More specifically, changes in the gut and vaginal microbiomes may be associated with a variety of gynecologic cancers, including cervical cancer, uterine cancer, and ovarian cancer."
Why should you be interested in learning about IBS and it's relationship to Dysbiosis? By looking at last month's issue of Gut and Liver (Gut Microbiota as Potential Orchestrators of Irritable Bowel Syndrome) we learn that, "Patients with functional bowel disorders (FBDs) have no clear structural or biochemical alterations on routine examinations, making diagnosis and treatment challenging. A number of FBDs affect the lower gastrointestinal (GI) tract with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) being the most prevalent, affecting approximately 10% to 20% of the population in the Western world." It's exactly why I have warned you that ADVANCED IMAGING TECHNIQUES will not likely show you what's wrong with you. To take it a step further, "In a healthy individual the small intestine contains a much lower density of bacteria than the large intestine. IBS has been suggested to be associated with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)....... Growing evidence suggest that at least subgroups of IBS patients have an altered gut microbiota composition or dysbiosis. Presented as an altered balance in beneficial or pathogenic bacterial species, dysbiosis is thought to have a bigger impact on gut wellbeing in IBS patients than previously thought, affecting such processes as intestinal barrier function and immune system regulation." We discussed intestinal barrier function (Leaky Gut Syndrome) just the other day.
Remember just a few short days ago how I showed you that there will soon be a VACCINE FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE? For those who think this sounds great, just remember that it doesn't even come close to dealing with the source of the problem --- a diet-induced Dysbiosis. The current issue of Hypertension (Gut Dysbiosis is Linked to Hypertension) sheds light on this fact via their abstract. "We observed a significant decrease in microbial richness, diversity, and evenness in the spontaneously hypertensive rat, in addition to an increased Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes ratio. These changes were accompanied by decreases in acetate- and butyrate-producing bacteria. In addition, the microbiota of a small cohort of human hypertensive patients was found to follow a similar dysbiotic pattern, as it was less rich and diverse than that of control subjects. High blood pressure is associated with gut microbiota dysbiosis, both in animal and human hypertension. They suggest that dietary intervention to correct gut microbiota could be an innovative nutritional therapeutic strategy for hypertension." Diet as innovation? Since when is what one eats considered "innovative"? This is why the DRUGS-FIRST mentality of your physician who doesn't HAVE A CLUE ABOUT NUTRITION in the first place is not only killing you, but preventing you from solving your numerous health issues!
A month later, Gut Microbes published an Italian study (Autism Spectrum Disorders and Intestinal Microbiota) telling us more of the same. "Through extensive microbial-mammalian co-metabolism, the intestinal microbiota have evolved to exert a marked influence on health and disease via gut-brain-microbiota interactions. In this addendum, we summarize the findings of our recent study on the fecal microbiota and metabolomes of children with pervasive developmental disorder–not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) or autism (AD) compared with healthy children (HC). Children with PDD-NOS or AD have altered fecal microbiota and metabolomes (including neurotransmitter molecules). We hypothesize that the degree of microbial alteration correlates with the severity of the disease since fecal microbiota and metabolomes alterations were higher in children with PDD-NOS and, especially, AD compared to HC."
The May issue of The World Journal of Gastroenterology (Fecal Microbiota Transplantation as Novel Therapy in Gastroenterology: A Systematic Review) showed that not only does FMT improve METABOLIC SYNDROME (the precursor to Diabetes) it may improve numerous other health issues as well. The same month's issue of Gastroenterology (Update on Fecal Microbiota Transplantation 2015: Indications, Methodologies, Mechanisms, and Outlook) went on to say that, "The community of microorganisms within the human gut (or microbiota) is critical to health and functions with a level of complexity comparable to that of an organ system. Alterations of this ecology (or dysbiosis) have been implicated in a number of disease states, and the prototypical example is Clostridium difficile infection (CDI). Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has been demonstrated to durably alter the gut microbiota of the recipient and has shown efficacy in the treatment of patients with recurrent CDI [CLOSTRIDIUM DIFFICILE]. There is hope that FMT may eventually prove beneficial for the treatment of other diseases associated with alterations in gut microbiota, such as inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and metabolic syndrome, to name a few." By the way, not only has FMT been characterized elsewhere as safe, but this study reveals that it is, "relatively simple to perform". I showed you that HERE.
NOT SURE ABOUT THE DIAGNOSIS?
HIT 'EM WITH ANOTHER ROUND OF ANTIBIOTICS!
In this study, 500 random individuals that had been selected at random from a larger random pool had their records pulled for review. Four board-certified internists with specialties in infectious disease looked at said records to determine accuracy of the diagnosis, as well as the "appropriateness" of the Antibiotics that were prescribed. "Based on data available to providers at the time, infectious disease literature, guidelines, textbooks, and reviewer professional judgment, reviewers independently classified these provider diagnoses as correct, indeterminate, incorrect, or a sign or consistent with an infectious disease. Cases were classified as indeterminate when the evidence supporting the diagnosis was unclear or lacking. In contrast, diagnoses were classified as incorrect when the evidence disproved the diagnosis or clearly supported an alternative diagnosis." Here is what they found.
- INDETERMINATE: 22% of the time the diagnosis was too vague to determine much of anything about the case. For example, a diagnosis of "FEVER" doesn't provide much meaningful information about what's wrong with someone.
- INCORRECT: For some of the most common diagnostic categories, the agreement between physician and reviewer was just over one in four (27%). For instance, in 76 cases of cystitis that were reviewed, the reviewers agreed with the treating physicians only 13% of the time (10 cases).
- INAPPROPRIATE: Even when the diagnosis was correct, almost 40% of the Antibiotics prescribed were, by definition, inappropriate. That number went to 95% (ninety five percent) when the diagnosis was incorrect, which, as you've already seen, was a great deal of the time. "In 166 of 198 cases (84%) with diagnoses that were incorrect or indeterminate or when providers were treating a sign or symptom rather than a syndrome or disease, antimicrobial therapy was not indicated at all."
Treating symptoms instead of dealing with underlying causes of said symptoms. For the most part, this is what our modern medical system is all about. The problem is, it leads to the sorts of zany conclusions like the ones found in this study. For instance, the authors stated that, "Diagnostic errors were more common in this study than in previous studies unrelated to antimicrobial use." I cannot tell you why this was with any degree of certainty, but I can tell you that when it comes to drug reactions; they are almost UNIVERSALLY UNDER-REPORTED ---- severely under-reported.
And when it comes to amazing statements, this one takes the cake. "Antimicrobial use is heavily shaped by cultural and economic factors related to deeply held beliefs about bodily integrity and invasion." This is why I truly believe that many of you will never get healthy or LOSE THE WEIGHT you need to without understanding the HYGIENE HYPOTHESIS. Viewing germs as "invaders" produces "CLEAN FREAKS" and bacteriophobes. "Antimicrobials have been labeled drugs of fear in that fear of bad outcomes, however unlikely, leads to antimicrobial overuse despite associated risks, including adverse effects in individual patients and relentless increases in antimicrobial resistance generally." We know that not only are Antibiotics killing off our collective MICROBIOMES and causing an array of problems associated with DYSBIOSIS (too many "bad" bacteria, and not enough "good"), but are actually causing certain strains of bacteria to BECOME EXTINCT as well. Once you have an understanding of GUT HEALTH, all of this will begin to make sense.
Not only is the 163 million dollars figure ridiculously low, none of this takes into account the real cost of Antibiotic overuse. The destruction of our nation's health. Chronically sick children (HERE is one example of many). Rampant INFLAMMATION and widespread AUTOIMMUNITY. I would even argue that it can be part of the process that leads to things like FIBROMYALGIA or CENTRAL SENSITIZATION. Make sure to take DR. MENDELSOHN'S ADVICE and do whatever it takes to keep your family and yourself off of Antibiotics!
ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE, REAL HEALTH,
AND YOUR MICROBIOME
"Antoine Bechamp (1816-1908) coined the word mycozyma to describe what he felt were the basic building blocks of all organisms, even plants and rocks. He believed these basic organisms can change form from bacteria to viri to fungal forms, and back again, depending upon the terrain or environment inside a body. This is the basic theory of the microzyma according to Dr. Bechamp. Later, mainly in the early twentieth century, several other well-known doctors in many nations claimed to observe a similar phenomenon. These include Gaston Naessans, MD, Royal Rife, MD, Wilhelm Reich, MD, Gunther Enderlein (1872-1968) and others. Some gave the phenomenon different names. Gaston Naessans called them somatids, while Dr. Enderlin called them protits. The microzyma perform many roles in the body. The most important of these are: (1) To destroy competing microorganisms that otherwise would flourish in the warm, moist environment of the human digestive tract – both the small and large intestines. (2) To help digest and absorb our food. (3) To produce numerous chemical compounds that our bodies require. These include some of the vitamins, mineral compounds, and even others that have not been identified yet." MIT-educated physician, Dr. Lawrence Wilson (MD) from his article "Microzyma". BTW, you'll sometimes see this phenomenon called "Pleomorphism".
According to Kerry Sheridan's recent article, Remote Tribe's Antibiotic Resistance Concerns Experts, a nearly-unreached tribe found recently in the deep, dark jungles of Venezuela, showed that even though the inhabitants have the single most diverse MICROBIOME ever recorded (something we have only recently been interested in studying), they are carrying an immense potential for ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE. "What really surprised the team was the discovery that the tribespeople had nearly 30 antibiotic resistant genes that were never before known to science. Even more, these genes were resistant to some of the world's most recently developed synthetic antibiotics. 'It was alarming to us to find genes that would inactivate these modern synthetic drugs in the Yanomami population." But should we be surprised?
A normal and healthy Microbiome contains "bad" bacteria and fungi such as STREP, STAPH, C.DIFF, CANDIDA, H. PYLORI, and a host of others, as well as hundreds of strains of "good" bacteria. Unfortunately, what we have done in America (self included) is to label bacteria as "good" or "bad," when that's not really completely accurate. A diverse Microbiome is all about ratios. It's why taking lots of ANTIBIOTICS is bad for you (HERE). But it's also why taking LOTS OF PROBIOTICS can be bad for you as well. It makes sense that this tribe's genetic makeup would be such that it would "resist" substances that would potentially throw the Mibrobiome out of kilter. If you want to understand this concept better, read the material on my site lifted from DR. ART AYERS. Or better yet, visit his website, Cooling Inflammation.
Please understand that I am not saying in this post that Bechamp was correct. We all know that models, thought processes, and the way we understand the universe constantly change as scientific knowledge improves and increases. I am, however, saying that we are just beginning to understand the importance of GUT HEALTH in relationship to overall health, and that the "terrain" the germs live in (your body), plays a far bigger role than whether or not you were simply exposed to said germs (read the first link at the top of the page to better understand this statement). The bottom line is that if you want to get your house in order as far as your health is concerned, you cannot neglect your Microbiome. Period.
It does not really matter whether your problem is ENDOCRINE, AUTOIMMUNE, INFLAMMATORY, or one of the so-called GENETIC DISEASES; the foundational tenets of solving it (them) is virtually always the same. HERE is a starting point as far as fixing your Gut.
THE PROBLEM OF ANTIBIOTIC
RESISTANCE AND SUPERBUGS
NO WORRIES: THE GOVERNMENT IS COMING TO THE RESCUE!
(Implementation of Executive Order 13676)
"Antimicrobial resistance is a world-wide problem and increases the difficulty of treating a variety of infections. Each day, every year in the United States, millions of Americans face a major threat from infections caused by bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics." Dr. Steve Solomon from the November 10, 2011 issue of the CDC's Safe Healthcare Blog (Government Takes Action to Combat Antibiotic Resistance)
"Drug-resistant 'superbugs' may lead us into a post-antibiotic era, CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden says. Frieden said if the current trends continue, 'the medicine cabinet may be empty for patients who need them in the coming months and years.' To avoid what Frieden calls a 'post-antibiotic' era, where none of the existing drugs work anymore and new ones haven't been approved, the CDC has created a four-step plan to stem the tide of antibiotic resistance." From the September 17, 2013 CNN article by Miriam Falco (CDC Sets Threat Levels for Drug-Resistant 'Superbugs')
"On Wednesday [a week ago yesterday], CDC director Thomas Frieden, MD, MPH, asked the House Committee on Appropriations for $283 million -- an increase of $264 million from last year -- to fight antibiotic resistance." From a recent MedPage Today article by Shannon Firth
"In the vast majority of cases where antimicrobials are used, the microorganisms have found a way to evade or resist the antimicrobial agent. Resistance occurs wherever antimicrobials are used -- in the community, on the farm, and in healthcare." CDC Director, Dr. Thomas Frieden speaking to the House Subcommittee on April 28, 2010
"In 1976, Stuart Levy of Tufts led perhaps the only prospective study to investigate whether small amounts of antibiotic use in livestock could lead to the spread of resistant bacteria to humans. His team began feeding tetracycline to some chickens on a small farm in Sherborn, Massachusetts, that had never before used antibiotics in animals. Within a week, tetracycline resistance appeared in the chickens’ gut bacteria, and then in untreated chickens in neighboring pens—and, a few months later, in the intestinal flora of the farmers. Even more alarming was the fact that with time, the tetracycline-resistant bacteria also developed resistance to other, unrelated antibiotics to which they had never been exposed." From last Spring's article by Katherine Xue (Superbug: An Epidemic Begins) in Harvard Magazine
Antibiotic Resistance is not only a problem in the United States, but around the world as well. However, like nearly all the CHRONIC DEGENERATIVE INFLAMMATORY DISEASES, it's a problem that is and continues to be largely self-inflicted. In other words, even though solving this problem is not rocket science, it has proven difficult (impossible might be a better word) because people (doctors included) don't really like to change their bad habits. But leave it to our government to figure out how to spend an additional 1.2 billion of your hard-earned dollars thanks to Barrack Hussein Obama's illustrious "National Action Plan to Combat Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria". The plan was released last week and contains some of the following highlights.
- CRITICAL ACTIONS BEING TAKEN: Thank goodness the government is taking "critical" actions. Not a bad idea considering that, "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that drug-resistant bacteria cause 23,000 deaths and 2 million illnesses each year in the United States. Antibiotic resistance also threatens animal health, agriculture, and the economy." The only problem is that we've been hearing this same old re-hashed rhetoric for years --- decades really. What would lead us to believe that Obama's plan is any different than those from any of the similar plans that came before it? Plainly stated; it's not. Just realize that this latest of his Executive Orders (# 13676) will involve more loses of your freedoms, bigger bureaucracy, more wasted tax dollars, and less common sense --- the anatomy of your typical GOVERNMENT-RUN PROGRAM.
- JUDICIOUS USE OF ANTIBIOTICS: Unless you've been living under a rock, you realize that ANTIBIOTICS are being over-prescribed. What most people do not realize, however, is the extent to which this over-prescription has been occurring. Depending on whose surveys or studies you choose to believe, as many as half or more of all Antibiotic prescriptions in the United States do not meet criteria --- I've seen some studies that put this number as high as 75%. Again; none of this is new information. I've been hearing this same thing for at least 25 or 30 years, although it is definitely getting louder. The problem is, when it comes to this issue, it seems like most of the practicing medical community is either deaf or listening to THUNDERSTRUCK on their headphones.
- STOP GIVING ANTIBIOTICS TO ANIMALS INDISCRIMINATELY: According to Obama's plan, the goal is to "eliminate the use of medically-important antibiotics for growth promotion in animals". What's scary is that few people are aware that Antibiotics are given to commercially-raised animals for the sole purpose of "growth promotion" --- i.e. making them fat (HERE). That's right folks; Antibiotics are given to the animals we consume because they foul up GUT HEALTH by creating an unhealthy MICROBIOME (the number and types of flora / bacteria in your digestive tract), which means you are likely to end up OBESE (HERE). The problem is that when you read the quote above, you realize that neither the FDA nor the USDA really care about eliminating Antibiotics from our food supply --- only the "medically important" Antibiotics (whatever that really means). Interestingly enough, Obama's plan mentions the possibility of using "PROBIOTICS" for solving diseases in animals --- but not for humans.
- PROMOTE INNOVATION: Who isn't for innovation? One of the things Obama's plan spells out is learning more about the microbiome. Fantastic! The problem is, much of the plan's innovation is geared not only towards making new Antibiotics, but new VACCINES as well ("increased antibodies"). They make no bones about this fact when they say (via a header) that one of the main goals of the plan is to, "Accelerate Basic and Applied Research and Development for New Antibiotics, Other Therapeutics, and Vaccines." We've already seen where the government is pushing heavily --- at the behest of Big Pharma --- to have large numbers of VACCINATIONS MANDATED ("Forced Vaccinations"). By the way, their stated goal for accomplishing this is to create two new products in the next five years to replace, "Antibiotics that lose their effectiveness for treating human disease". Trust me when I tell you that Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at a far greater rate than two every five years --- and some that we are using, we shouldn't be; regardless of issues with resistance (HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE). And this doesn't even begin to touch the issue of "SUPERBUGS".
Oh; we might see some benefit from this latest of Executive Orders. But the reality is, aside from spending tax dollars on things we both should have been doing and claimed to have been doing for a very long time (and have known about for longer than that), Obama's plan is not going to accomplish much. I mean; for Pete's sake --- they don't even say anything in this post about the relationship between SUGAR AND INFECTION --- a heck of a problem considering our national explosion of DIABETES and METABOLIC SYNDROME.
Obama's plan says that, "the emergence of drug resistance in bacteria is undermining our ability to treat bacterial infections and perform a range of modern medical procedures". Really? Using the word "emergence" implies that this is a brand new problem. It's not. Realizing this means that if you expect more of the same-old-same-old from the government's "new" plan, then you won't be disappointed when that's all you get --- especially once you realize that this plan was essentially already in place (see CDC website Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States, 2013 and this February's Antibiotic Resistance Solutions Initiative Costs $264M: A Comprehensive Response).
THE HYGIENE HYPOTHESIS
VACCINATIONS, ANTIBIOTICS, AND HOW TO HEAL YOUR GUT
"According to the ‘hygiene hypothesis’, the decreasing incidence of infections in western countries and more recently in developing countries is at the origin of the increasing incidence of both autoimmune and allergic diseases.... Public health measures were taken after the industrial revolution by western countries to limit the spread of infections. These measures comprised decontamination of the water supply, pasteurization and sterilization of milk and other food products, respect of the cold chain procedure, vaccination against common childhood infections and the wide use of antibiotics. In countries where good health standards do not exist, people are chronically infected by various pathogens. In those countries, the prevalence of allergic diseases remains low. Interestingly, several countries that have eradicated those common infections see the emergence of allergic and autoimmune diseases... The geographical distribution of allergic and autoimmune diseases is a mirror image of the geographical distribution of various infectious diseases, including HAV, gastrointestinal infections and parasitic infections." From the April 2010 issue of Clinical and Experimental Immunology (The 'Hygiene Hypothesis' for Autoimmune and Allergic Diseases: An Update)
"Keeping a delicate balance in the immune system by eliminating invading pathogens, while still maintaining self-tolerance to avoid autoimmunity, is critical for the body’s health. The gut microbiota that resides in the gastrointestinal tract provides essential health benefits to its host, particularly by regulating immune homeostasis. Moreover, it has recently become obvious that alterations of these gut microbial communities can cause immune dysregulation, leading to autoimmune disorders." From the January 2012 issue of the medical journal Gut Microbes (The Role of Gut Microbiota in Immune Homeostasis and Autoimmunity)
"The hygiene hypothesis stipulates that microbial exposure during early life induces immunologic tolerance via immune stimulation, and hence reduces the risk of allergy development." The opening sentence of the brand new study from the journal Pediatrics (Allergy in Children in Hand Versus Machine Dishwashing)
"All disease begins in the gut." -Hippocrates
The Developer of Chiropractic, DR. BJ PALMER (1882-1961) hypothesized that, "If the ‘germ theory of disease’ were correct, there’d be no one living to believe it." But he wasn't the only one. A number of famous contemporaries and colleagues of Pasteur himself (1822-1895) did not buy into his ideas either. They believed that while germs might play an important role in the development of disease, it's a susceptibility to the germ and not the germ itself that cause people to get sick. After all, how can (in the words of BJ's father, DD), "two factory workers be exposed to the exact same environmental conditions on a daily basis and one gets sick while the other remains well? Let's see what people much smarter than I had to say about the matter back in the day.
- DR. CLAUDE BERNARD: Dr. Bernard (1813-1878) was a French physiologist who has been praised as, "one of the greatest of all men of science". Among his numerous scientific accomplishments were his development of double-blinded studies as well as coming up with the concept of "HOMEOSTASIS" --- the body strives to keep its internal environment constant. It was Bernard who wrote that, "The terrain is everything; the germ is nothing". In other words, the soil is far more important than the seed.
- DR. ANTOINE BECHAMP: Dr. Bechamp (1816-1908), a chemist and biologist as well as a fellow Frenchman, was a rival of Pasteur. Although his "Microzyma" theory is certainly interesting, I'm not sure it's much more than that. Bechamp believed that germs could not invade a healthy host; but could easily invade, thrive, and multiply in an unhealthy host. Sort of like the old "Rats in the Dump" lecture that Dr. Fred Barge used to give. Dumps attract rats, but they certainly don't cause them.
- DR. ILYA ILYICH MESHNIKOV: Dr. Meshnikov (1845-1916) was a Nobel Prize-winning Russian biologist, zoologist, protozoologist, and immunologist, who happened to be one of our earliest "Gut Health" researchers. A popular online encyclopedia says this about Dr. Meshnikov. "Mechnikov also developed a theory that aging is caused by toxic bacteria in the gut and that lactic acid could prolong life. Based on this theory, he drank sour milk every day. He wrote three books: Immunity in Infectious Diseases, The Nature of Man, and The Prolongation of Life: Optimistic Studies, the last of which, along with his studies into the potential life-lengthening properties of lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus), inspired Japanese scientist Minoru Shirota to begin investigating a causal relationship between bacteria and good intestinal health, which eventually led to the worldwide marketing of kefir and other fermented milk drinks, or probiotics." Meshnikov was so adamant that germs were not the cause of disease that he ate cultures of live Cholera to prove it.
- DR. RUDOLF VIRCHOW: Probably the most brilliant of all these men, Dr. Virchow (1821-1902) --- a German / Prussian medical doctor --- was also an, "anthropologist, pathologist, prehistorian, biologist, writer, editor, and politician, known for his advancement of public health. He is known as the founder of social medicine, veterinary pathology, and to his colleagues was known as the 'Pope of Medicine'". He was said to have published over 2,000 scientific articles and 1858's Cellular Pathology is still regarded as the text that earned him the title of "Father of Modern Pathology". As an interesting side note to this issue; despite being an agnostic, he was an adamant ANTI-DARWINIST. It was Virchow who said, "If I could live my life over again, I would devote it to proving that germs seek their natural habitat --- diseased tissue --- rather than being the cause of diseased tissue; i.e. mosquitoes seek the stagnant water, but do not cause the pool to become stagnant."
If you'll go back and look through my posts on ANTIBIOTICS (particularly THIS ONE), you'll quickly notice that I have shown you from the peer-reviewed literature that they are causally related to things like Asthma (HERE), Allergies (HERE), and various skin conditions, including Eczema. And even though the studies we are discussing today do not deal with either of them, we also know that this class of drug is intimately related to health problems like OBESITY, DEPRESSION, and any number of other Chronic Inflammatory Degenerative Diseases. This is because 80% of your Immune System resides in your Gut (HERE). A failure to achieve and feed our bacterial diversity from early in life can mean a tougher row to hoe health-wise as we get older (HERE and HERE).
A brand new study from the medical journal Pediatrics (Allergy in Children in Hand Versus Machine Dishwashing) concluded that, "We found a lower prevalence of reported allergy in children aged 7 to 8 years from families who use hand dishwashing instead of machine dishwashing. This effect was further potentiated if they also ate fermented food or bought food directly from farms. We speculate that these lifestyle factors reduce allergy development via increased or more diverse microbial exposure, stimulating the immune system to develop in a more tolerant direction." That, my friend, is the Hygiene Hypothesis in action. Exposure to germs --- especially in children --- leads to less chronic disease later in life. Remember this because it is going to be very important in a moment.
According to the "Hygiene Hypothesis" article from Clinical and Experimental Immunology, "The human gut is the natural niche for more than 1,000 different species [of bacteria]. Immediately after birth, the human gut is colonized with different strains of bacteria. This commensal microbiota is important in shaping the immune system, for other basic physiological functions, as well as for the integrity of the intestinal barrier." Let's talk about some of the 'meat' that's in these two sentences.
- MORE THAN A THOUSAND SPECIES OF BACTERIA: Depending on who you read, the human Gut should contain somewhere between 500 and 2,000 different strains of bacteria. This is known as the "MICROBIOME".
- TEN TIMES THE NUMBER OF BACTERIA IN YOUR MICROBIOME AS THERE ARE CELLS IN YOUR BODY: Although I cut it out of the quote above because I'm not sure how to do exponential numbers on my computer (10 to the 14th power), your body contains 10 times as many bacteria as you have cells. In other words, there's a bunch of those little critters living in and on your body.
- GUT COLONIZATION STARTS IMMEDIATELY AFTER BIRTH: This is not technically true --- or at least is shouldn't be. As long as you were not born via C-Section, colonization actually starts during the birth process (HERE).
- THESE BACTERIA SHAPE YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM: We know from quotes found at the top of the page and any number of others I could have come up with had I wished, that an absence of bacteria in youth leads to a whole host of very chronic diseases later on (chiefly CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASES and AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES --- the links contain lists of both). Dr. Art Ayers, whom I quoted from at the top of the page, is a Ph.D researcher whose chief area of study is the link between GUT HEALTH and INFLAMMATION, and his website (Cooling Inflammation) is largely devoted to this fact.
- GUT BACTERIA ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY NUMBER OF PHYSIOLOGICAL FUNCTIONS: HERE are a few of them, but this list is growing by leaps and bounds with every new study published on the topic.
- THE "INTEGRITY" OF THE INTESTINAL BARRIER IS CRITICAL FOR YOUR HEALTH: A loss of 'integrity' in the intestinal barrier is commonly known as LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, although the medical community knows it by another name; Increased Intestinal Permeability. A Leaky Gut is intimately linked to Chronic Systemic Inflammation, as well as almost every disease process you can name. By the way, many of the same conditions that leave one with a Leaky Gut, can leave one with a "Leaky Brain", where the "Blood / Brain Barrier" is similarly affected.
- COMMENSAL BACTERIA ARE IMPORTANT: The word "commensal" means, "an animal, plant, fungus, etc.) living with, on, or in another, without injury to either." I believe that we could probably refer to the relationship as 'symbiotic' (both organisms gain benefit from each other) rather than commensal. When your ratio of good bacteria to bad bacteria is disrupted, you end up with something called DYSBIOSIS. Interestingly enough, Dysbiosis can occur when you get your ratio of good bacteria to other good bacteria out of kilter as well (HERE). This is why PROBIOTICS are never a long-term solution to Chronic Gut-Related Health Issues such as the Autoimmunity these authors keep mentioning (HERE is more information on this).
WHAT ARE WE SEEING IN AMERICA TODAY?
We are currently in the throes of a battle over the government's right (or not, as I would argue) to force any number of vaccinations on you and your family --- something I predicted would come about as the result of socialized medicine (HERE). Unfortunately, people like myself, who believe in healthcare choice have been given the nearly-Satanic label of "anti-vaxxers". Forget labels for a moment. What people should be paying attention to in this debate is what's happening to our nation's children. If you go to any of the hundreds of "Vaccination Education" sites across the web (HERE are a few of the bigger ones), you can read the tragic stories and watch the heartbreaking videos of thousands upon thousands of children who were completely normal --- until they had their vaccinations. Mere coincidence? That's what the government would have you believe.
But let's put the conspiracy theories aside for a moment, ignore the acute vaccine reactions of the previous paragraph, and look at the evidence (even though most of us would have to agree that "EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE" is quite often a joke) that there could be a link between vaccinations and chronic health issues. What sorts of health issues do children who react to vaccines almost always end up with? They end up with that ugly triad of SIBO/IBS, IBD, and other "Gut Health" issues (HERE are some other examples). They wind up with a potential plethora of AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, which have absolutely EXPLODED in our society in recent decades. And they end up with NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEMS of varying degrees of severity. But should we be surprised? Not according to the Hygiene Hypothesis.
If you go back and carefully re-read the quotes from the peer-reviewed literature at the top of the page, the diseases in the previous paragraph are just about what you might predict / expect as the result of our declaration of war on poverty and disease over five decades ago. Despite spending $22,000,000,000,000 tax payer dollars on this fifty-year 'war,' America has fewer people working, more poverty, more people on government PROGRAMS, and more chronic illness --- way more chronic illness.
Don't get me wrong; we've done a pretty good job of stamping out the acute childhood illnesses that everyone used to get (measles, mumps, chicken pox, WHOOPING COUGH, etc, etc, etc). Unfortunately, because of increasing ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE, wiping out acute bacterial infections like UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS, EAR INFECTIONS, and SINUS INFECTIONS is proving less effective every day. But what has this "War on Disease" done for the health of American people? As per the Hygiene Hypothesis, we've simply traded one set of diseases for another.
Because our children are not growing up on farms, in gardens, playing outside, or getting any of the typical childhood diseases that everyone used to get (diseases that even pro-vaccine experts have shown "train" your Immune system); and because we are flooding their systems FROM BIRTH with Antibiotics, Vaccines (at least in the way they are administered today), and any number of NASTY DRUGS; and because on top of all this we are feeding them a steady diet of food that is of such low quality that we really cannot call it "food", we are destroying their Guts, and thereby destroying their Immune Systems. In doing so, we have traded the acute (short term) diseases mentioned in the last paragraph, for chronic (long-term) diseases that can be impossible --- or at the very least, difficult and costly --- to defeat.
Let's see how many of these chronic conditions we can rattle off in ten seconds. Mark, set, go. CANCER, MS, EPILEPSY, AUTISM, RA, DJD, THYROID PROBLEMS, FIBROMYALGIA, SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION, NEUROPATHY, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER'S, ANEMIA, GLUTEN SENSITIVITY, PR, MUPS, ADD/ADHD, DIABETES, SKIN PROBLEMS, and on and on and on and on and on and on.... All you have to do is do is pick one out of a hat, do a bit of research on it, and you'll see that incidence has gone through the stratosphere. And it's all occurred as the American people (both children and adults) are being increasingly inundated with vaccines and antibiotics.
I would never for a moment try and convince you that vaccines are the only reason for this explosion of Chronic Conditions. However, claiming that incredible amounts of Antibiotics given early and often, as well as today's absurd Vaccination Schedules, plays no role in the chronic "sickening" of America, should make the astute observer at least stop and ponder. Especially if we understand and apply the Hygiene Hypothesis to the equation. But real quickly, let me bring this to where the rubber meets the road --- the debate over the Measles Vaccine.
I've followed Niel Miller and his "Think Twice" website for years (I also own one of his books that's probably about 20 years old --- back when there was no internet). A couple weeks ago Miller wrote a short piece for The Age of Autism website called WHY PEOPLE CHOOSE NOT TO VACCINATE, concerning the effect of childhood infectious diseases (most particularly Measles) on the probability (it decreases it) of developing Cancer later in life. In other words, vaccinating against Measles increases your chances of developing Cancer --- something we also know about Antibiotics (HERE). It's a fascinating read that goes right along with today's post, which is backed up with plenty of peer-reviewed literature. He even gives us a great example of an INVISIBLE AND ABANDONED STUDY concerning the known problems with THIMEROSAL (Mercury) in vaccines and its relationship to Autism.
HEAL THE GUT AND YOU HEAL
BOTH THE MIND AND THE BODY
- STOP BEING SO DAD-BLAMED CLEAN: Remember back when people bathed maybe once a month? I'm not suggesting we go back to that, but if you are using chemical cleaning products in your house or on your body, you may want to rethink some things (HERE). Especially when you realize that most of these also happen to be XENOESTROGENS. There are increasing numbers of articles on the world-wide web that describe people who "cure" chronic conditions (particularly SKIN CONDITIONS) simply by bathing less and without chemicals.
- GO PALEO: Instead of sitting here and giving you a whole list of dietary guidelines, I'll give you only one --- GO PALEO. Going "Paleo" means that you get plenty of FIBER, but have no fear of DIETARY FAT. Coconut Oil (especially the organic stuff that has a coconutty taste) is excellent for helping heal the Gut. The truth is, there are any number of foods, HERBS, products, etc, that can help in this process of healing the Gut. Do due diligence as you research, but make the foundation of whatever you do food.
- GET OUT IN THE GARDEN: I'm a big fan of organic gardening and GETTING DIRTY (we went out and tilled and planted the patch for our greens, spinach, and lettuce, just before the snow barrage started three weeks ago).
- HAVE MORE SEX: If there's a better way of swapping bacteria and upgrading your Microbiome's diversity, I haven't discovered it yet.
- FOLLOW THE EXPERTS: If you want to get a handle fixing your Gut, there are any number of individuals I would read. Make sure to start with Dr. Art Ayers. Go to his FERMENTED VEGETABLES REPAIR GUT FLORA, and then read things from the people on his recommended sites. I would never for a moment consider myself an expert (I just read a lot), but I did create a post for you to get started with getting your life back (HERE).
HAVE YOU BEEN FLOXED?
Dear Dr. Schierling,
I read, with tremendous interest, your article explaining the difference between tendonosis and tendonitis. Here is a quick synopsis of my condition:
In June of 2011, I was given the antibiotic Levaquin. In August, I had emergency surgery for a completely ruptured Achilles tendon (left ankle). My right ankle was casted simultaneously due to severe pain from microtears. I cut and pasted the Impressions from MRIs from that time period (below). I lived in a wheelchair for five months. My wrists and shoulders were not spared.
My entire adult life, I have frequented a gym. Since this nightmare, there are many exercises that cause extreme, sharp pain, particularly in my right shoulder and left wrist (please refer to MRI Impressions below), all of which I can no long participate in. I feel poisoned and have come to learn that most doctors do not have a clue, and cannot advise me properly. I have remained desperate for over three years. PLEASE, Dr. Schierling, share with me your thoughts and expertise.
Question: I have recently been prescribed Mobic for beginning stages of hand arthritis. I'm wondering if the Mobic is causing me more discomfort in the areas in which I described. Again, any advice you can give me will, as you can imagine, be taken very seriously!
From somewhere on the East Coast
- MRI 8/2011LEFT SHOULDER PAIN:
- MRI 8/2011 RIGHT SHOULDER PAIN:
Moderate tendinosis of subscapularis tendon.
- MRI 9/2011 LEFT WRIST PAIN:
- MRI 8/2011 RIGHT ANKLE PAIN:
I want you to know that I feel for you, and I also believe that there is a solution out there for you. But unfortunately I'm not that person --- I am not sure I would know where to start. However, if you do find a solution, would you please let me know so that it can be shared with those who suffer as you do. Oh; and to answer your question; Mobic is a powerful NSAID (and HERE) that carries some brutal risks of its own. Study any and every med prescribed before taking it.
HAVE YOUR BABIES OR YOUNG
CHILDREN BEEN GIVEN ANTIBIOTICS?
IF SO, THEIR HEALTH IN JEOPARDY!
"Eight weeks after antibiotic treatment of infants, the diversity of gastrointestinal flora remained diminished, although the number of individual bacteria was back to normal, according to a new paper. Additionally, the potentially disease-causing Proteobacteria [bad bacteria] were now the dominant population in the treated infants." From the November 2012 issue of the American Society for Microbiology Summary (Antibiotics Disrupt Gut Flora in Infants: Recovery Still Incomplete After Eight Weeks). By the way, the first sentence is a perfect description of Dysbiosis.
"Mothers give a newborn baby a gift of germs—microbes that help to kick-start the infant's immune system. But antibiotics, used to fend off infection, may paradoxically interrupt a newborn's own immune responses, leaving already-vulnerable premature babies more susceptible to dangerous pathogens. A new animal study by neonatology researchers at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) sheds light on immunology in newborns by revealing how gut microbes play a crucial role in fostering the rapid production of infection-fighting white blood cells." From the April 21, 2012 issue of Infection Control Today (Study of Gut Microbes, Antibiotics: Clues to Improving Immunity in Premature Infants). This study pertained to FMT.
"Formula Is not breast milk, it’s not even close. Formula is cheap to produce, but expensive to buy. Formula is promoted as the next best substitute for milk from a baby’s own mother, but that isn’t true either. The next best alternative is mother’s milk from a certified human milk bank. It is available at a reasonable cost. Hospitals should know better and provide the only appropriate alternative. Early formula use dramatically increases healthcare costs... [Mother's] milk provides complete nutrition, controls gut flora, promotes gut development -- formula doesn’t." Dr. Art Ayers from an August 2010 article on his website "Cooling Inflammation" (Why Discuss Mother’s Milk on an Inflammation Blog?). This article sheds light on the fact that milk-based Probiotics are probably better for infants than adults (HERE). Dr Ayers is a huge promoter of natural VAGINAL DELIVERIES.
Unfortunately, way too many parents --- probably the vast majority --- freak out when when their child gets sick (HERE) and rush them to the doctor. Children taken to the doctor with such problems as those listed above are usually prescribed Antibiotics. Although this might seem like the proper and loving thing to do at the time, click on the previous link to see why that is not usually the case. Today we are going to discuss the consequences, both short term and long term, of this sort of misguided behavior. These are in no particular order.
- RECURRENT INFECTIONS: Think about why children given Antibiotics might get recurrent infections. Every time your child gets sick you take them to to the doctor who prescribes Antibiotics. Antibiotics kill bacteria indiscriminately, including the good ones that make up 80% OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM, leaving your child susceptible to the next infection. Repeat cycle.
- DYSBIOSIS: DYSBIOSIS is the name given for having too many bad bacteria and not enough good ones. Click on the link to see any number of posts on the subject.
- OBESITY: Just how big a deal is the relationship between your normal flora (Gut bacteria) and a normal weight? Look no further than the recent evidence linking OBESITY to DIET SODA. We've known for quite sometime that Diet Soda makes people fatter than does regular soda but we never knew why. Now we do. It's due to the destruction of the normal flora (HERE). Thus, it should not come as any surprise to see that there ARE STUDIES linking early Antibiotics to Obesity.
- ASTHMA: I have shown you two different studies (HERE and HERE) linking Antibiotics given in infancy / childhood to ASTHMA in older childhood and adulthood. Asthma is another one of those health-related issues that could have easily made the list in my first paragraph.
- ECZEMA & ALLERGIES: Antibiotics given in childhood / infancy have been linked to both ALLERGIES and ECZEMA. In a meta-analysis of 20 studies published in the November 2013 issue of the British Journal of Dermatology (Does Early Life Exposure to Antibiotics Increase the Risk of Eczema? A Systematic Review), the authors concluded that when a pregnant woman takes Antibiotics or a child / infant is given Antibiotics, their chances of developing Eczema increase by a whopping 40%. Furthermore, in a study funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration and presented at 2013's Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Dr. Bryan Love (the study's head) told Medscape Medcial News that, "Exposure to more than 2 courses of antibiotics in the first year of life is associated with a significantly increased rate of food allergy. We believe it may be related to a disruption of normal gut flora. Systemic antibiotics not only kill bacteria causing an infection... [they] are also distributed to other parts of our body where they can kill susceptible bacteria that are part of our normal flora — especially in the gastrointestinal tract." The GI Tract or "GUT" as it is sometimes referred to, is where the majority of your Immune System resides --- in the form of; you guessed it --- bacteria.
- INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE: Inflammatory Bowel Disease covers a lot of territory. Not only are most of these problems AUTOIMMUNE (IBS, for instance), but are heavily linked to other problems that are also associated with Antibiotic use as well (see next bullet). A 2010 issue of The American Journal of Gastroenterology (Association Between the Use of Antibiotics in the First Year of Life and Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease) came to the conclusion that children who had been given Antibiotics in their first years, were three times more likely to be diagnosed with IBD (Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis) later in life.
- ALL THE PROBLEMS ADULTS GET (DIABETES / DEPRESSION / AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, ETC: The thing is, the studies on children and Antibiotics have just recently gotten underway. What you're seeing in these bullet points is just the tip of the iceberg. Some of the health problems linked to Antibiotic use include DIABETES, DEPRESSION, FIBROMYALGIA, a wide array of AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, etc, etc, etc. In fact, HERE is a study tying Diabetes and Depression to Antibiotic use.
What is the common denominator in all these problems? Easy. INFLAMMATION. This is why controlling Inflammation is critical for solving Chronic Health Problems of all sorts --- whether it's you we're talking about or your child. I've shown you what you can do to help control Inflammation if you are an adult (HERE). But what about protecting the flora of your infants? There are actually a plethora of things that can be done.
For starters, don't "OVER-CLEAN" them (or HERE). If it falls out, put their pacifier in your mouth to clean it off (HERE). And it should go without saying, but keep them off all drugs if at all possible. This is because we now know that many if not most drugs have ANTIBIOTIC-LIKE CHARACTERISTICS. Oh, and if you are really interested in stepping outside the lines; the chief way that VACCINES create side-effects is by fouling up normal gut flora (HERE is an example).
ANTIBIOTIC OVERUSE CAUSES
INFECTIONS TO RUN WILD
"For crying out loud people. Stop demanding antibiotics! There are SO few everyday infections that require treatment. Colds, bronchitis, ear infections, sore throats (including strep) will resolve without any treatment. And these infections typically make a person feel ill for several days. The "I'm not better in 3 days therefore I need an antibiotic" is simply ridiculous. As a parent, be very afraid of having your child on perpetual antibiotics. This is much more likely to harm them than help. I'll get off my soapbox now." A Facebook rant from my sister in law, Dr. Michelle Schierling, an ER physician at Stormont Vail in Topeka, Kansas
"Yes, future epidemics are inevitable... There's no doubt that the most dangerous emerging disease is drug resistance. Every year, hundreds of thousands of people die from drug resistant malaria, HIV or TB infections as well as from drug resistant infections in intensive care units over the world." Cherry-picked quotes from a December 2014 interview with Dr. Jeremy Farrar of the Wellcome Trust found in Spiegel Online International by Katrin Elger and Veronika Hackenbroch (Epidemics Expert Jeremy Farrar: 'The Most Dangerous Emerging Disease Is Drug Resistance')
The article speaks not only to our own national Antibiotic overuse, but to the fact that the rest of the world has followed suit (they are several decades behind the curve), prescribing Antibiotics for anything and everything, real or imagined. Unfortunately, we are importing their resistance to America. It is my belief that for the average citizen, these warnings will fall on deaf ears --- until friends and loved ones start dying --- something that you will definitely see in your lifetime (most likely within the next decade).
If you want to understand more about this issue, click on the links and start reading. By the way, Dr. Michelle, from the quote at the top, mentioned several health issues that people are commonly given Antibiotics for (EAR INFECTIONS, ALLERGIES, SINUS INFECTIONS, COUGHS, UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS / COLDS / BRONCHITIS, FLU, etc). Heed her advice and DO NOT take Antibiotics for these common health problems! Educate yourself with our posts on GUT HEALTH and change your lifestyle as though your life depends on it. Because in all honesty, it does!
GUT HEALTH AND THE ANTIBIOTIC EFFECTS OF NON-ANTIBIOTIC MEDS
"The frightening rise of superbugs resistant to all known antibiotics has been attributed to the accelerated use of antibiotics in medicine and agriculture. Mixing megatons of bacteria in the guts of billions of people with tons of antibiotics, and still more in sewage treatment plants and agriculture, is bound to produce bacteria with every type of multiple antibiotic resistance plasmid [DNA fragment] imaginable. But that is not the biggest problem, since fingering the commercial use and misuse of antibiotics ignores biggest exposure of bacteria to antibiotics. It ignores the fact that most popular pharmaceuticals, NSAIDs, statins, anti-depressants, anti-diabetics, etc., also have substantial antibiotic activity. Most of these pharmaceuticals started out as phytoalexins and then were found to also have pharmaceutical activity. Pharmaceuticals are just repurposed natural antibiotics. When you take an aspirin or Metformin or a statin, you are taking an antibiotic. When you take a pharmaceutical, you are selecting for multiple antibiotic resistance plasmids [DNA fragments] in your gut flora and you may be making the next superbug." Dr. Art Ayers from his June 25, 2014 blog post titled Antibiotic Resistance, Superbugs and Drugs found on his site, Cooling Inflammation
Practically any field of study or any profession has it's share of "dirty little secrets". The problem is, the medical and pharmaceutical industries are literally bursting at the seams (it's one of the things that makes EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE such a pipe-dream). Case in point, the topic of today's post. Don't you find it interesting that in this age of increased recognition about the importance of GUT HEALTH and "SUPERBUGS", we find two quotes, written over two decades apart, telling us the very same thing --- that virtually all drugs (that's all as in "all") have antibiotic activity.
In light of what we know about the DESTRUCTIVE AND DEADLY NATURE OF ANTIBIOTICS, this should provide at least some degree of wake up call for those taking pharmaceutical drugs (especially since they are almost always related to at least some degree of INTESTINAL PERMEABILITY and DYSBIOSIS). Throw into the mix the ridiculous amount of pharmaceuticals consumed by our society (HERE), and you have a true recipe for disaster on your hands. The lists found in the quotes above specifically mention......
- BARBITUATES: These are downers and SLEEPING PILLS.
- BETA-ADRENERGIC RECEPTOR ANTAGONISTS: These are mostly known by their other name --- BETA-BLOCKERS. These drugs work by slowing down your system and generally making people feel sluggish and cruddy.
- DIURETICS: These are "water pills" which are used mostly for people in Congestive Heart Failure or with HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.
- ANTIHISTAMINES: These are taken by folks with ALLERGIES, and can have strong Antibiotic effects.
- MUCOLYTIC AGENTS: These are the drugs which, exactly like their name implies, break up mucous (the most common of these is currently Mucinex).
- NSAIDS: These are the Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs that not only dramatically increase your chances of fatal GI Bleeds, Cancer (HERE), and Death in general (HERE), but actually tend to weaken injured Connective Tissues (more info on NSAIDS).
- PROTON PUMP INHIBITORS: PPI'S are the ACID BLOCKERS that wreak such havoc on the body, and which are a significant cause of OSTEOPOROSIS.
- PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC DRUGS: Although this covers quite a bit of ground, by far the biggest portion of this class would be ANTIDEPRESSANTS.
- STATINS: STATINS are another one of those drugs that will utterly destroy your health and leave you in pain. Click on the link to learn why.
- ANTI-DIABETIC DRUGS: If you have issues REGULATING YOUR BLOOD SUGAR, you will sooner or later end up on one of these drugs. Listen to what Dr. Art Ayers said about Metformin; one of the more popular drugs given to Diabetics (I am cherry-picking here) in a May 17 post called Metformin, Antibiotic with Autoimmune Side Effects. "Metformin is the treatment of choice for type 2 diabetes and yet, like many other common drugs, the full extent of its impact on the body (and the body’s essential microbiome) has not been studied.... Metformin has all of the properties of an antibiotic selected to lower blood sugar and have limited side effects."
- ASPIRIN: Hopefully you are not still doing the Aspirin-a-Day thing? If so, you might want to read THESE POSTS.
By the way, I found ample evidence that SOY BEANS --- a known XENOESTROGEN --- also have a significant amount of Antibiotic activity. Furthermore, while Dr. Ayers is a proponent of Essential Oils taken externally to reduce INFLAMMATION, listen to how he answers a reader's comment about taking them orally. "Essential oils are just extracts of the polyphenolics compounds produced by plants to kill bacteria and fungi. These phytochemicals are called antioxidants simply because they have functional groups that react with superoxide and other reactive oxygen species, but their function in plants is as natural antibiotics -- they interact with the enzymes and receptors of organisms. In many cases they are toxic and we have bitter taste sensors to warn us of their presence."
Bottom line, if you are taking pharmaceutical drugs or certain other substances, you are destroying your health by destroying your Gut's health. Figure out what it will take to get off as many pharmaceuticals as you can, and get started. HERE is a place to begin.
ANTIBIOTICS CAUSE CANCER
ANTIBIOTICS COULD EASILY PROVE TO BE THE SINGLE
WORST THING YOU DO FOR YOUR HEALTH!
- Dr. Christine Velicer of the University of Washington's Department of Epidemiology and her team of researchers published a study in the February 2004 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (Antibiotic Use in Relation to the Risk of Breast Cancer). This study concluded that, "Use of antibiotics is associated with increased risk of incident and fatal breast cancer." Women who took less than 25 prescriptions of Antibiotics over a 17 year period had a 50% greater chance of developing BREAST CANCER than those who took none.
- The British Journal of Cancer published a study in Y2K called Does Antibacterial Treatment for Urinary Tract Infection Contribute to the Risk of Breast Cancer? In this study, researchers looked at the medical records of almost 9,500 women from 18 to 89 and stated in the study's abstract that, "Women reporting previous or present medication for urinary tract infection at baseline showed an elevated breast cancer risk in comparison with other women."
- In a recent study that was presented at the June 2013 annual meeting of the American Society for Clinical Oncology, the Antibiotic consumption of 86,000 individuals without Colon Cancer was compared to the Antibiotic consumption of 22,000 patients with Colorectal Cancer. The results revealed that those who took Antibiotics (particularly "penicillins, quinolones and metronidazole") had an approximately 10% greater chance of developing Colorectal Cancer. No other forms of cancer were studied. By the way, if you are even thinking about taking FLUOROQUINOLONES, you should first click on the link.
- There are any number of Alternative Doctors (including the brilliant KEVIN CONNERS of Minnesota) that believe Cancer is heavily related to yeast --- particularly CANDIDA. The chief method that people develop Systemic Candida (yeast infection throughout the body) is by taking Antibiotics.
- The November 2008 issue of the International Journal of Cancer published a massive study (Antibiotic Use Predicts an Increased Risk of Cancer) linking Antibiotic use to increased chances of developing numerous kinds of cancer, including that of the "prostate, breast, lung and colon". This study looked at over three million citizens of Finland, ages 30 to 79, who did not have cancer in the years between 1995-1997. The 134,000 cases of cancer diagnosed between 1998 and 2004 were compared to the medical records of the first goup to see if there was a link between the cancer and the amount of Antibiotics taken. Without getting into the specific numbers (all forms of cancer were increased substatially, and cancer of the ENDOCRINE SYSTEM was dramatically affected by antibiotics) suffice it to say that the chances of developing all forms of cancer were greater in those who had taken Antibiotics. The study's conclusions in the abstract were simple and straightforward. "In conclusion, antibiotic use predicts an increased risk of cancer."
I could keep going, but I am hoping you are beginning to get the picture. Antibiotics are bad news because they decimate the HEALTH OF YOUR GUT. We can't feign surprise because, after all, 80% of your body's total Immune system lives in your Gut (HERE). Not only do Antibiotics destroy your microbiome (the number of different species of good bacteria living in your Gut), but recent research is pointing to the fact that because Mitochondrial DNA is similar to the DNA of bacteria, Antibiotics destroy Mitochondrial function. You see, the Mitochondria are known as the "Powerhouse of the Cell". It's where all the energy to power your body comes from in the form of something called ATP (read more about this on our COLD LASER page). Research from one of last year's issues of Science Translational Medicine (Bactericidal Antibiotics Induce Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Oxidative Damage in Mammalian Cells) revealed how Antibiotics destroy health by destroying Mitochondrial function. Listen to these cherry-picked sentences from Jim Collins, a professor of biomedical engineering at Boston University, and his team (this is from the study's abstract).
"Prolonged antibiotic treatment can lead to detrimental side effects in patients, including ototoxicity [causes problems with hearing and balance], nephrotoxicity [kidney poisoning], and tendinopathy [HERE], yet the mechanisms underlying the effects of antibiotics in mammalian systems remain unclear. It has been suggested that bactericidal antibiotics induce the formation of toxic reactive oxygen species (ROS) [Free Radicals --- known cancer-causers] in bacteria. We show that clinically relevant doses of bactericidal antibiotics—quinolones [HERE], aminoglycosides, and β-lactams—cause mitochondrial dysfunction and ROS overproduction in mammalian cells. We demonstrate that these bactericidal antibiotic–induced effects lead to oxidative damage to DNA, proteins, and membrane lipids. Mice treated with bactericidal antibiotics exhibited elevated oxidative stress markers in the blood, oxidative tissue damage, and up-regulated expression of key genes involved in antioxidant defense mechanisms....."
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration