DIET SODA, MICROBIOME, AND THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INFECTIONS AND MENTAL DISORDERS / BRAIN DISEASE AND ALLERGIESRead Now
FOLLOW THE BOUNCING BALL
"Compared to placebo, amoxicillin doesn't seem to provide any benefits." From St Louis's Washington University School of Medicine, as published in the February 2012 issue of JAMA.
"Treatment guidelines generally support that a 10–14-day antibiotic regimen should be administered to uncomplicated acute bacterial sinusitis patients. However, the level of evidence for such a recommendation is rather weak." From the September 2008 issue of the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
As of Friday, he and his wife had lost a combined 50 or 60 pounds over the past few months, but that is not what he was most excited about. By eating no processed foods and cutting out SUGAR AND JUNK CARBS from his diet (including high glycemic fruits), this person totally and 100% cleared up a decades-long case of sinus congestion. That's right; a case of chronic sinus congestion that had become so severe that his inability to breathe had actually left him claustrophobic was now completely gone.
WHAT ARE SINUSES AND WHAT DO THEY DO?
- The largest is the Maxillary Sinus, which is found below the eyes (dark green).
- The Frontal Sinuses (pink) is found just above the medial portion of the eyes.
- The Ethmoid and Sphenod Sinus are found in the area of the nose (purple and yellow).
- There is also a large sinus at the area of the Mastoid Process (lighter green).
WHY AM I ALWAYS CONGESTED?
Secondly, I want to discuss Sinus Infections. Sinus Infections cause an increased production of mucous from the mucous membranes that make up the lining of the sinus cavities. Between the swelling of these membranes (remember that Inflammation causes swelling), and the increased production of mucous, it can become difficult or even impossible to breathe thru your nose. This begs the question, how would you know you have an infection or inflammation, and does it really matter (HERE)?
According to an article called Upper Respiratory Infections, found in a 2010 issue of The American Journal of Medicine, there are about 24 million cases of bacterial Sinus Infections each year in the US, and are a primary reason doctors prescribe Antibiotics (about 20% of the antibiotics prescribed in America are for sinuses). If you go to the doctor with a sinus problem, you will be treated with Antibiotics. But should doctors be prescribing Antibiotics for UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS? It should be becoming obvious to you that they should not --- especially in light of conflicting information --- one of the main problems with EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE.
According to a recent report by the Infectious Diseases Society of America, less than 10% (and maybe as little as 2%) of the Sinus Infections in America are bacterial. Most --- the vast majority --- are viral. But the problem is that if you go to your doctor, they will almost certainly treat you with Antibiotics. If you value your family's health, it is imperative to understand why Antibiotics put so many people into a health-tailspin (HERE); even people who think they haven't taken many.
It's real simple. 80% of your body's Immune System is found in the Gut --- mostly in the form of bacteria (GUT HEALTH). Antibiotics kill bacteria --- all bacteria, and especially the good ones. I will not belabor this point, but suffice it to say that ANTIBIOTICS are one of the top three biggest destroyers of health in the US because they are Immune System destroyers instead of the Immune System boosters they are made out to be (HERE). Once you start taking them, it far more likely that you will end up in a vicious cycle of illness -----> antibiotics -----> weakened immune system ------> antibiotcs ------> repeat.
HOW TO SOLVE YOUR
CHRONIC SINUS PROBLEM FOREVER
If you go back to previous posts, you'll see that I have written extensively about UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR'S relationship to almost every health condition you can imagine --- even in the absence of DIABETES. Once you realize that sugar and high glycemic carbs feed infections (HERE and HERE), you'll begin to grasp how important this step really is in solving chronic sinus problems.
In just a matter of a few days after my patient went off processed foods and cut the sugar and starchy carbs from his diet, he could breathe normally again --- for the first time in 25 or thirty years. Like all other matters of health, it really is up to you. Would you rather eat the junk and continually struggle with sinus and other health issues? Or would you rather eat a clean healthy diet devoid of junk, and enjoy life to the fullest?
THE HIGH COST OF FOOD SENSITIVITIES
ANTIBIOTIC USE IN INFANTS AND YOUNG CHILDREN, DECIMATES HEALTH LATER IN LIFE
Just a few months prior to this, research from Canada's University of Winnipeg in Manitoba, that was published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, came to chillingly similar conclusion --- antibiotics given to infants cause health problems later in life. They showed how infants treated with antibiotics have a greater chance of developing INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE (Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, etc) later in childhood. What did these medical scientists think was the likely culprit? Autoimmunity induced by destroying the gut's good bacteria and letting the bad bacteria run amok (DYSBIOSIS).
And now we get this. A study published in last week's edition of the International Journal of Obesity, stated that children given antibiotics prior to 5 months of age were significantly heavier than antibiotic-free children at 38 months of age. New York University's School of Medicine showed that this trend continued into childhood.
If there is one thing that I have tried to get across to my patients over the past two decades, it's that antibiotics in no way, shape, or form, strengthen the immune system. The truth is, antibiotics weaken and destroy the immune system. Sure, antibiotics have the potential to save lives, but in America this is certainly not the norm. The "norm" is children being prescribed round after round after round of antibiotics for every sniffle, sneeze, and cough that comes down the pike. And just why is this bad? Pay attention.
When a child gets sick in America, far too many patients fail to heed the advice of 'America's Pediatrician,' DR ROBERT MENDLESOHN. Instead, we make sure our doctor prescribes antibiotics ---- and prescribe they will! We use far more antibiotics both grossly and per capita than any other nation on the planet ---- and it's not even close. When your child takes the antibiotics, those bad little bacteria that we call "infection" tend to die. But guess what? The good bacteria are killed right along with them. It reminds me of the shirts and bumper stickers that were popular when I was a child during the later portion of the Vietnam era; KILL EM ALL, AND LET GOD SORT EM OUT. That is exactly how antibiotics work! And because the immune system is made up largely of bacteria found in the gut, each and every time your child takes an antibiotic, their immune system becomes progressively weakened. Because the immune system is weak, the child is susceptible to the next infection that comes along. What does the doctor do? Prescribes more antibiotics. Repeat Cycle ad infinitum until the immune system is destroyed. CANCER anyone? How about some AUTOIMMUNITY?
WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP OUR CHILD AVOID SICKNESS &
ANTIBIOTICS AS WE MOVE INTO COLD AND FLU SEASON?
- EAT A HEALTHY DIET OF WHOLE FOODS, AND TAKE WHOLE FOOD SUPPLEMENTS: Listen folks; care enough about your children to quit feeding them so much crap! Take charge of their health (after all; you are the parent) and make sure that they are getting a diet (and supplements) based on WHOLE FOOD NUTRITION.
- AVOID SUGAR AND PROCESSED CARBS: If you understand what these bad bacteria like to eat, this is a no-brainer. Just do a Google search on "Sugar Feeds Infection" and see what comes up. I promise you will be more than a little bit freaked out. Then Google "SUGAR FEEDS CANCER" While you are at it, take a couple of minutes and read my #1 BLOG POST of all time.
- GET YOUR KIDS OUTSIDE, ACTIVE, AND DIRTY: OK; you understand that fresh air and exercise are good for your kids. But what about the "dirty" thing? Numerous studies have shown that as crazy as it might sound, Americans are by and large too clean (HERE). Yes, you heard me. We are so clean that we are destroying the good bacteria that are on our skin (some of the same that should be found in our gut). This is one of the reasons why antibacterial soap is no longer recommended (another reason is that it, like antibiotic use, creates "SUPERBUGS").
- GET A DOG: STUDIES HAVE SHOWN that dogs help in this process of providing good bacteria.
- TAKE A GOOD PROBIOTIC: Probiotics are the opposite of antibiotics. Instead of killing bacteria, they actually restore the good bacteria to your gut. Think of your gut as a movie theater that has only so many seats available. Once these seats are taken, there is no where else to sit. Your gut is the same way. Restore good bacteria, and you push / crowd the bad bacteria out. And since there are only so many bacteria that your body can support, it is only supporting the good ones. Because of this, we highly recommend that you take a probiotic that is based on HSO's (Homeostatic Soil Organisms ---- HERE). Our probiotics contain the same bacteria that are found in organic soil --- the same bacteria that should be in your gut.
- THINK TWICE ABOUT HAVING YOUR CHILDREN VACCINATED: At the very least, study this issue closely. I promise it will be an eye opener for you. Vaccines --- particularly in the numbers that we are giving our children today ---- can be exceedingly damaging to immune system function. Where do you start? My blog; where else (HERE).
IF DOGS AND DIRT CREATE HEALTHIER CHILDREN;
WHAT DO ANTIBIOTICS AND VACCINES DO?
According to Dr. Bergroth, "The amount of dirt is likely to correlate with bacterial diversity in the living environment, possibly affecting the maturation of the child's immune system and further affecting the risk of respiratory tract infections." But this should come as no surprise either. What have we learned over the past decade? the answer is two-fold. Firstly, we have learned that one's MICROBIOME is arguably the most important aspect of one's health. Secondly, we have discovered a strange and shocking truth ---- that Americans are often not dirty enough, either inside or out (HERE). We have too many children that never play outside, never really get dirty, and essentially live their lives in a "sterile" environment ---- an environment saturated with antibacterial soaps, lotions, cleaners, detergents, and wipes, not to mention the insane numbers of ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS.
Let's look at this another way though. If it's true that things like dogs, dirt, and bacteria can positively affect a child's immune system by "developing / maturing" it properly, what might do the opposite? In other words, what sorts of things might prevent that same developing immune system from maturing normally? In light of this information, it would make sense that things like ANTIBIOTICS & VACCINES could potentially adversely affect a child's Immune System by not allowing it to develop / mature properly. Interestingly enough, I have been hearing this theory bantered around the scientific community for at least 25 years (HERE).
A quick search of the internet shows that there are an increasing number brilliant scientists and physicians who believe that because of exploding numbers of Vaccinations and widespread antibiotic overuse, we have essentially traded acute childhood illnesses like Chicken Pox, Mumps, Measles, WHOOPING COUGH, etc, for chronic, debilitating illnesses such as CANCER, FIBROMYALGIA, NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEMS of all sorts, AUTISM, as well as AUTOIMMUNITY. In our age of "hi tech" medicine, it is easy to forget that 80% of your entire Immune System is made up of the bacteria that reside in your Gut (HERE). An indisputable fact is that Antibiotics assault these bacteria, thus weakening the Immune System as opposed to strengthening it (HERE). In light of much current research, many believe that the same can be said of Vaccines (HERE, HERE or HERE).
even though many of you will disagree with my conclusions, my goal is always to get you thinking outside the box. If you know others that enjoy living outside the box, help us spread the word by liking us on FACEBOOK. It's the best way to reach those you love and care about most.
DO YOU HAVE A MOLD PROBLEM?
IF YOU HAVE ANY SORT OF CHRONIC HEALTH ISSUES, DON'T
DISMISS THIS QUESTION WITHOUT READING TODAY'S POST
Although you may not realize it, mold is everywhere. Mold spores are a common component of household and workplace dust, and can be found on just about every surface in your home. This type of mold is not usually a problem for the majority of the population. But give mold the environment it needs to grow (high moisture content, nutrients, warm temperature, etc), and you will soon have a huge problem on your hands --- quite possibly a nightmare you could never have even imagined (HERE). I know because I have witnessed first hand how mold has helped destroy some of my patient's lives!
When mold spores are present in abnormally high quantities, they can present a serious health hazard to humans. Mold's symptoms come in the form of hypersensitivity reactions to the spores themselves, but reactions to their mycotoxins (toxic chemical byproducts of molds) as well. Some of the more common health issues associated with mold exposure include.........
- Allergic Reactions (Current research says that over half of all Asthmatics have RESPIRATORY ALLERGIES --- one of the most common being mold.)
- Asthma (HERE)
- Coughing / Wheezing (HERE)
- Light Sensitivity (HERE)
- Rashes (HERE)
- Sugar / Starch Addiction (HERE)
- Nausea and other Digestive Problems (HERE)
- Chronic Fever (HERE)
- Headaches (including MIGRAINES)
- Eye Problems
- Sinus Congestion / Infections (HERE)
- A vast array of Respiratory Problems including Infections and Bronchitis (HERE)
- Fungal Infections of the Sinus, Skin, Lungs, and Digestive Tract with prolonged exposure (This is a form of DYSBIOSIS)
- Hypersensitivity Reactions of all kinds (A 2003 issue of The Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine / American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine published a study called Adverse Human Health Effects Associated with Molds in the Indoor Environment saying that at least 5% of the American population is affected at some time in their life with Hypersensitivity to Mold.)
- Immune Suppression / Autoimmunity (HERE)
- Neurotoxicity / Neurological Problems (HERE)
- Cancer (HERE) (Darn straight! For the fun of it, Google "Cancer Mold" or "Cancer Fungus" and prepare to be truly freaked out.)
- When water leaks or spills occur indoors - ACT QUICKLY. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases mold will not grow.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent (ideally between 30 and 50 percent) relative humidity. Relative humidity can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter, a small, inexpensive ($10-$50) instrument available at many hardware stores.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes ACT QUICKLY to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible. (Combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.)
- Use air conditioners and / or de-humidifiers when needed.
- Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or dishwashing, etc.
- Reduce the humidity.
- Increase ventilation or air movement by opening doors and / or windows, when practical. Use fans as needed.
- Cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.
The most capable and knowledgeable person in the area for this sort of work is Chris Jungbluth of Environmental Services over in Springfield, Missouri (he is originally from the Raymondville area). What sets Chris's business apart from others advertising similar services? Training, experience and certifications. He's not one of those "experts" who took a weekend course, then hung out a shingle advertising "Mold Remediation". Chris has a college degree in Environmental Services, and has been in the game for a very long time. Think your mold problem is bad? I guarantee he's seen worse and successfully dealt with it. If you think mold might (might) be causing or contributing to your chronic health issues, give Chris a call.
ANTIBIOTICS IN THE FIRST MONTH OF LIFE DOUBLES CHANCES OF ENDING UP WITH ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA
Case in point is a study that was published earlier this year in the February issue of The American Journal of Epidemiology. The study, done by four doctors at Yale University's School of Public Health's Center for Perinatal, Pediatric, and Environmental Epidemiology, hit us with yet another example of the problems with current antibiotic prescription habits. This study looked at the relationship between early antibiotic use (1st 6 months of life), and the incidence of asthma & allergies at 6 years of age ---- in over 1,400 children. Antibiotic exposure was associated with a 52% increased risk of asthma overall. However, there was a staggering 89% increase in both problems in children with no prior family history! The authors concluded that early antibiotic use is associated with developing both ASTHMA and ALLERGIES. Is this information anything new? Not really.
In the June 2007 issue of CHEST, the journal of the American College of Chest Physicians, carried a similar study concluding that, "children receiving antibiotics in the first year of life were at greater risk for developing asthma by age 7 than those not receiving antibiotics". The risk for asthma doubled (100% increase) in children receiving antibiotics during their first year. Do you think that maybe its time to avoid antibiotics?
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration