AMERICANS USE A LOT OF ANTIBIOTICS
"Every day, Americans use some 51 tons of antibiotics. But only about a fifth of that is to treat human illness. Most of the rest is given to livestock -- and not because the animals are sick. Instead the drugs are used for what the FDA calls 'production purposes': to help animals gain weight more rapidly....." Michael Smith from a recent MedPage Today article called Antibiotic Use in Animals Under Fire.
Last year, the FDA, realizing that ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE was skyrocketing, decided to 'suggest' that antibiotics only be used if approved / prescribed by a vet. Makes us feel all warm and cozy doesn't it? Not after you realize that not one in a hundred farmers are even aware of the 'ban'. This is because the supposed ban came in the form of having the PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES add a few words to the small print on the bottle's label. If things have not improved in three years, the FDA will revisit the issue and "suggest" some changes to their original suggestions.
By then, the individuals most responsible for these suggestions will be working inside the industry as paid lobbyists or 'consultants' where they can be paid the big bucks for their suggestions (see FDA link above). Hey; it's the way that EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE works here in America! What can you personally do about this problem? Find someplace other than the grocery store to buy your meat. Yes; as a promoter of the PALEO DIET, I am a promoter of consuming meat (preferably antibiotic-free meat).
If you live somewhere where there are a lot of deer, you could HUNT for a good portion of your meat. If that is not an option, find someone selling beef (or poultry) that is both antibiotic-free and HORMONE FREE. Although there are many in our area, a great new resource for this kind of meat is FRESCOLN FARMS.
DREONNA BRETON AND OUR NATION'S VACCINATION POLICIES
I want to give this baby the best shot that I can. There are just things in the flu vaccine that are not known, like how it affects my growing baby. Dreonna Breton from a December 19th story run on WGAL News 8
It's unconscionable for a healthcare worker not to be immunized. Pregnant women are more susceptible to the flu. Company spokesperson, Alan Peterson, as quoted by the Associated Press. Is this true? Keep reading and find out
I learned that Rick's niece, Dreonna "Burris" Breton, was recently fired from her position as an RN with Horizon Healthcare Services in Susquehanna Valley, Pennsylvania. Although Dreonna was quite young when I left CHASE COUNTY, I remember her from being at Toby and Kim's house on a couple occasions. I also believe my dad would have been her grade school principal. But back the the question at hand; why did Dreonna lose her job? What was her 'crime'?
Dreonna lost her job simply because she chose not to have a Flu Shot. I can't exactly blame her; especially when she had such good reason for refusing. She's pregnant. As far as I am concerned, this fact alone should be more than enough reason to legally / ethically enable a woman to refuse having toxic elements (MERCURY and ALUMINUM are two of many) injected into their body. Unfortunately, freedom to chose is no longer an option when it comes to vaccinations for healthcare workers. Mark my words, it's just the beginning. As everyone reading this post is soon going to find out, when it comes to American healthcare, the Bob Dylan effect is underway. The times they are a changing. And from all indications, they are not changing for the better.
Understand that no matter your political persuasion; because of our nation's increasingly nationalized medical policies, the day is rapidly approaching when just like Dreonna, you are going to find yourself unable to make healthcare decisions. Important decisions will be made for you by an entity that thinks it knows more about taking care of your family than you do ---- Big Government. Think I'm exaggerating?
Dreonna's particular case pertains to healthcare workers. For those who do not know, people working in the healthcare field are now required to get certain VACCINATIONS --- including the FLU SHOT. In order to insure obedience, adherence to these policies is now being tied to federal monies. In other words, if a medical facility does not have 100% employee vaccination rates, the government will be withholding percentages of their state and federal subsidies (schools that are not already doing so, will soon be be on the same bandwagon). Oh; I get it. You think that you'll be unaffected just because you aren't a healthcare worker or don't have children in school? Don't hold your breath.
Because we have collectively voted for government-controlled healthcare, prepare to have your healthcare increasingly controlled by the government. As time goes on, you will lose more and more freedoms pertaining to what healthcare you want or don't want for yourself or your family. What does this chipping away at your freedom boil down to? What does practically everything boil down to in this country ---- particularly when it comes to that happy threesome of Big Government, Big Pharma, and the Medical Industry? You already know the answer to this. Money! Sorry folks. No matter how hard you wish it were true, government-mandated 'EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE' is not going to solve our national health and OBESITY crisis.
Although many will adamantly disagree with her decision, Dreonna is intelligent and well-read on this issue. After personally seeing the shocking numbers of kids neurologically, endocrinologically, and metabolically messed up by vaccines in my little practice in the RURAL OZARKS, I believe that she made the best choice she could have made for her unborn child. After going through several recent miscarriages, Dreonna knew she did not want to do anything to hurt her chances of delivering a healthy, full-term baby.
Granted, there are numerous issues besides vaccinations that relate to INFERTILITY and the ability to carry a child to term, but let's be honest with ourselves for a moment. Women know to avoid all sorts of chemicals, drugs, and alcohol during pregnancy. It only makes sense to bail on the mercury and aluminum as well. And as for the chances of her patients contracting the Flu because she chose to forgo the shot; I would sincerely hope that you read THIS PIECE before passing judgment that Dreonna's decision puts her patients in harms way. HERE is a great piece I added after the fact on the issue of pregnancy and the flu.
Although I probably should have called Dreonna for a personal interview (occasionally I manage to beat the the big boys to A SCOOP on hot-button issues), it is likely that Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc, will soon be carrying this story or stories just like it. Rest assured that when they do, Dreonna (or whomever they chose to interview for their story) will be edited to look like a fool. A lone wolf. A trouble maker looking for some kind of big payday. Even though you never asked for it Dreonna; you're soon going to be famous.
The interesting thing about this whole situation from a patient's perspective is that in similar fashion to INFLAMMATION, I am not sure that 1 in 1,000 people could tell you what the Flu really is. Oh; don't get me wrong --- everyone certainly thinks they know what the Flu is. But as far as really knowing? Doubtful (HERE is what I am talking about). Hang in there Dreonna --- I know that there are lots of people praying for you. I wish there were something more I could do for you right now (if there is, please let me know).
COOPER CUTTING HORSES
MICHAEL "SUPER" COOPER
They call Michael "Super Cooper" for good reason. In his career, he has taken home over 3 million dollars in prize money (HERE). In a profession full of people born into it (most of them monied), he is the proverbial self-made man. Not that Michael himself wouldn't give God all of the credit, but years ago, he taught himself the art of training Cutting Horses. He started out using techniques learned from library books on his $300 horse ---- quite a difference compared to the high-dollar horses he trains today. You see, Michael took a completely different route to success than anyone else in his profession. Through hard work, dedication, and a natural horse talent, Michael worked himself into one of the top-ranked Cutting Horse Trainers on the planet (he now lives in Wetherford / Fort Worth, Texas). One thing I can say about Michael is that fame and fortune haven't changed him. At his core, he is still a God-fearing good-ole-boy from the hills of Southern Missouri, who loves his wife and family.
Michael was in Monday with his family to get treated for SHOULDER ISSUES that are due to the repetitive nature of his work. Sara shot a VIDEO TESTIMONIAL, but for some reason we had a problem with the picture (below is the transcript). Thanks Michael! You, Jennifer, and the boys have a Merry Christmas. And say hello to Emmet and Flora Beth for me! God Bless.
Hi, I'm Michael Cooper, a horse trainer from Summersville, Missouri. I had a horse buck me off and land --- actually it fell with me, and I landed on my right shoulder. And when it did, I was unable to move the back side of my shoulder. I thought this was just like any other injury I had been through, and that I'd just get over it. But despite my best efforts, I couldn't raise up my arm. In fact, as time went on, I couldn't even get my arm up high enough to shoot a basketball [I used to play some pick-up ball with Michael and his brothers back in the day. They could all 'light the candle'].
So, I talked to doc and told him that adjustments weren't helping this problem. He said he wanted to try something a bit different. He started working on my shoulder. Almost immediately, I was able to move it better. So he worked on it some more --- and the more he worked on it, the better I was able to move it. I thought wow, this is really amazing! The results were immediate.
Time went by, and I actually forgot about it. So I went to see doc again and he asked how my shoulder was doing. I told doc that it was pretty good, but that I wanted him to look at it again and work on it some more. It's made a big difference in my range of motion --- it works like it's supposed to now. Since I train horses for a living, I don't get enough stretching up high [all Micheal's work is with his arms down low on the reigns]. Through his tissue work it's changed my overall ability to move and do my job. It's been awesome for me. Thanks Doc! - Michael Cooper, December 23, 2013
MICHAEL COOPER & "TRAVELIN SMOOTH" WIN
THE TUNICA FUTURITY OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
A GIFT FROM DR. SCHIERLING
Dr. Schierling ! What a good news. My painful bunion on my left foot is gone – no inflammation at all. Thanks be to God for what you provide to us, your patients. Your gift of information is one of the most practical and long lasting gifts you could give. Thanks again for your love, care, and concern about educating us on how we can maintain our good health. We can always get honest information from your blog/newsletter. Yes! knowledge is power if we choose to apply it. Diane Harmon, a patient from the Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas area. She has been on a Paleo Diet for the past several months.
My gift to you this year is information. All year round, I provide you and your family with valuable health-related information that you will be hard-pressed to find anywhere else ---- information that your doctor is certainly not going to clue you in on. And here's the doubly cool thing --- it's all free.
Take a hard look at my site. Click some of the links. It certainly isn't fancy. But it is loaded with self-help articles and things you can do to take the bull by the horns and help yourself (for instance, take a quick peek at what I published earlier this morning). My goal is not to sell you anything. Heck; I don't even have a 'shopping cart' on my site. I don't care about that. What I do care about is you. I realize it may sound a bit campy, but because I have lived it myself, my goal is to help those of you who are suffering with Chronic Pain Syndromes and / or Chronic Ill Health get your lives back. When you get your life back, it's sort of like someone handing you a gold brick and saying here you go ---- keep it. It's yours. No strings attached.
I would ask one thing in return. Help us reach more people. Tell others about this site. You can also forward the posts you deem valuable or worthy, to those whom you know could benefit. Unfortunately, we all know way too many people with serious health problems. While you are at it, stop by and like us on FACEBOOK. That's it. Simple, isn't it? And it only takes a few seconds. Thank you.
Wishing you and your family a healthy, blessed, and Merry Christmas from the Ozarks.
SUGAR OR JUNK ADDICTION
ARE YOU AN ADDICT?
"Available evidence in humans shows that sugar and sweetness can induce reward and craving that are comparable in magnitude to those induced by addictive drugs.... Overall, this research has revealed that sugar and sweet reward can not only substitute to addictive drugs, like cocaine, but can even be more rewarding and attractive. At the neurobiological level, the neural substrates of sugar and sweet reward appear to be more robust than those of cocaine." From the abstract of the July 2013 issue of the medical journal, Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care
Google the term "SUGAR ADDICTION" and you'll get over six million hits (a couple of them might even be articles I wrote on the subject). Even though it is, an addiction; it is one of America's more "acceptable" addictions --- one that people who roll up their nose at drunks or drug addicts can engage in without any significant social scorn from their peers --- it is and addiction nonetheless. How do you know whether you are a sugar addict or not? Although a Sugar Addiction is not usually as blatantly ugly as other addictions are, just give it a little time and it will produce not only the classic psychological signs of the addict, it will also manifest a host of physical symptoms as well --- symptoms that reveal just how serious a problem this really is. Take the simple self-test below.
- TRYING TO HIDE YOUR ADDICTION: Although easy at first, this gets consistently more difficult because of the continual need for more of what you crave. This is the very nature of an addiction. No matter your drug-of-choice, it always takes "more" to experience any feelings of the 'high' (increased pleasure / reduced emotional negativity). Eventually, hiding the addiction becomes impossible.
- SUGAR STASHES: Remember the old TV shows where the town drunk would have partially-drunk whiskey bottles stashed in almost every conceivable place? Many sugar addicts do the same thing.
- EXCUSES / DENIAL: What's amazing is how similar these excuses and denials sound to the excuses and denials made by alcoholics or drug addicts. I personally know a person who became seriously addicted to prescription painkillers after a serious injury. Although the injury had healed and this person could have gotten off the meds, it took an inordinate amount of time and intervention. You should have heard the excuses.
- ANYTHING FOR A FIX: Do you start your day with sugar (HERE)? If you find yourself in bizarre situations trying to get your hands on sugar or carbs, you definitely have a problem. Just like those addicted to hard drugs, the sugar addict will do anything to get their fix. It is the focal point of their lives.
- CONTINUING DESPITE THE PERSISTENT DAMAGE IT IS DOING: As you have seen, this damage can be physical, psychological, or more likely, a combination of the two. Even though a person might realize it is destroying their health and relationships, they choose sugar anyway. It is frequently the single most powerful motivating factor in their life.
- PATHOLOGICAL CRAVINGS / FEAR OF GIVING UP SUGAR: Do you have health or social problems that affect school, work, or relationships because of the need to consume sugar and carbs, yet keep on doing so despite the negative consequences? Do you chase after sugar even though it is causing you physical or emotional pain? Is it the driving force in your life? Near the end of his month-long journey as captured in the documentary Super Size Me, a recently overweight Morgan Spurlock tells his video camera that the only time he feels good about himself now is when he is, "eating this crap". If you are using sugar /carbs to boost your mood (serotonin levels), or can't bear the thought of giving up the stuff (HERE), you probably have a sugar addiction. One more thing; if you feel DEPRESSED at the mere thought of going without sugar, it's a dead give away that you have an addiction.
- PLAYING THE SUBSTITUTION GAME: This could mean that you are substituting sugar substitutes for sugar (HERE). However, it could mean something far more insidious (HERE).
- ISSUES WITH WEIGHT: Although sugar addiction almost always leads to OBESITY, sometimes people think they are getting away with it because they are still skinny. This is simply because some people's over-taxed pancreases take longer to burn out than others. Be aware that even though you might be of a "normal" weight, too much sugar or starch has a tendency to create the SKINNY FAT EFFECT. Once people begin gaining the extra weight, the "FAT BUT FIT" excuse is an old standby.
- OTHER ADDICTIONS: This is particularly true of things like coffee, SMOKES, or alcohol (which itself is metabolized just like sugar). When the pancreas burns out due to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar (see next point) the ADRENAL GLANDS kick in to help the failing pancreas. Most sugar addicts will frequently want things that boost their Adrenal Response (caffeine, nicotine, sugar). Unfortunately, this is not helpful, and is a doorway to a whole host of other problems.
- UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR: Numerous people will tell me that they do not have a problem with blood sugar because they recently had their blood checked and it was normal (HERE). If they are consuming mass quantities of sugar on a regular basis, they are fooling themselves (HERE). Uncontrolled Blood Sugar is the number one health issue facing the American population today --- and it's not even close. The last point in this section will go into more detail.
- YOU ARE TIRED AND SLUGGISH AFTER YOU EAT: If you feel tired or sluggish after meals, you undoubtedly have REACTIVE HYPOGLYCEMIA. This is the BLOOD SUGAR low that comes "reactively" after the high. Low blood sugar and high blood sugar are two sides of the same coin that we call Diabetes.
- YOU HAVE TROUBLE CONCENTRATING: There are numerous studies touting the ill effects of sugar on cognitive function as well as dementia. In fact, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE is now being called Type III Diabetes because its characteristic brain plaques result from Uncontrolled Blood Sugar.
- A COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEM: You are constantly sick (HERE). The problem is, sugar and ANTIBIOTICS are a devastating combination (HERE), that leads to a wide variety of DYSBIOTIC HEALTH ISSUES, including Systemic (blood-borne) Yeast. The yeast itself requires sugar to survive and creates horrendous cravings in its attempt to take over your body. Besides Antibiotics, CORTICOSTEROIDS (a form of Innumo-suppressive drug) create sugar cravings as well.
- DIMINISHED LIBIDO: Whether male or female, if you don't have the desire to have sex, you are likely dealing with a blood sugar issues (HERE and HERE). If you would trade sex for a handful of bon bons, you have a sugar addiction.
- HORMONAL ISSUES --- PARTICULARLY PCOS: Listen to what Dr Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, author of "Beat Sugar Addiction Now" said on the June 10, 2010 episode of ABC's 6:00 news, "hormonal fluctuations in women entering menopause can cause anxiety, depression, and insulin resistance that can also lead to sugar addictions". Although he is correct, this is a chicken 'egg thing, meaning the opposite is true as well. For more on PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome --- the #1 female problem in America today --- go HERE).
- INCREASED ACIDITY: If you are fighting diseases of acidity (although there are many, the two that most immediately come to mind are CANCER and OSTEOPOROSIS), it would not be a stretch to wonder if you have a sugar addiction. Get some litmus paper at the corner drug store and test your pH.
- ALL SICKNESS AND DISEASE: AUTOIMMUNITY, INFLAMMATORY ILLNESS, and almost every single health issue you care to mention (see the bullet point above on Uncontrolled Blood Sugar) have similar starting points. If you would rather ignore this than click on the links, you are likely addicted to sugar / carbs.
HOW TO CONQUER YOUR SUGAR ADDICTION
- STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR HEALTH AND YOUR LIFE ---- ADMIT YOU ARE AN ADDICT AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT: As is the case with all sorts of problems, the first thing you have to do is identify it as such. As long as you stay in denial, nothing will get accomplished.
- LEARN THE MANY WAYS THAT SUGAR HIDES: Simply learn to read food labels. Oh, and be aware that you might even have a GLUTOMORPHIN ADDICTION as well. Even though you have never heard of this, it is far more common (and scary) than imagined.
- DON'T BRING CRAP IN YOUR HOUSE, CAR, OR WORKPLACE: This is a no-brainer folks. If you are stashing junk food in strategic places, you will fail in your endeavor to kick your addiction. You have to stay away from the stuff. Period. Unfortunately, 'church' is all too often a dangerous place for the sugar addict.
- GET YOURSELF AN ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER: Most of us benefit from someone to help hold our fingers to the fire. Although it can be done (HERE), most persons will have a rough go of it when kicking an addiction alone. HERE is how I have gone about this in the past.
- EXERCISE THE RIGHT WAY: Although there about a jillion ways to exercise, if you want the straight scoop on getting the most benefit out of the shortest amount of time, go HERE.
- ABSTAIN FROM SUGAR AND HIGH GLYCEMIC INDEX CARBOHYDRATES: Listen folks. I already know you are going to call me a harsh, hard-hearted SOB for saying this, but truthfully; I don't really care. When we addicts get down to the point where the rubber meets the road, there's only one way to lick an addiction (this is largely true for any addiction). You have to go Cold Turkey! If you will simply eliminate the sugar, carbs, and artificial sweeteners from your life, your cravings will dramatically subside, and eventually go away (usually within a matter of weeks). How has that whole "I'll just cut back a bit" thing been working for you so far? That's right. It doesn't. In fact, it constantly re-starts and feeds your cravings. If you are addicted to narcotics or alcohol you can’t simply just 'cut down' a bit. By cutting out all forms of sugar (starch, bread, pasta, OJ, fruit --- yeah, for many people fruit is one of those "substitutions" we dealt with earlier ---- artificial sweeteners, and almost anything that is processed), you actually allow your brain's chemistry to recalibrate itself. If you think you can 'dabble' with sugar / carbs and still kick the habit, you are fooling yourself.
- CHANGE YOUR DIET AND CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR BY EATING SMALL PROTEIN-BASED MEALS MORE OFTEN: For Pete's sake; it's practically 2014. Can we get over the FEAR OF DIETARY FAT thing already? Follow the advice on this bullet point and watch your cravings fly out the window. And as far as what sort of diet you need to be eating? You must do something that controls blood sugar! Although there are a ton of these out there, I recommend PALEO for the reasons listed in the posts you will find if you click on the link.
- START YOUR DAY THE RIGHT WAY: We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Start living it (HERE)!
- USE A GREENS PRODUCT: There are many of these out there. We use THIS ONE . Not necessarily because it's the best product on the market, but because it is a good product that does not taste like pond scum. These products are valuable for helping solve sugar / carb cravings, while providing some solid nutrition in the process.
- DON'T BE AFRAID TO EAT BIG: When FRED & DIANE HARMON recently returned to our home, she treated us all to an authentic, home-cooked, multi-course, Thai meal. It involved fresh ingredients, freshly ground herbs and spices (yes, she brought her own mortar and pestle), some lean meat, and copious amounts of fresh vegetables. You could literally gorge yourself on foods like this at every meal --- and still LOSE WEIGHT. Until you resolve the calorie myth, you will have problems dealing with sugar / carb addictions.
- NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS: This is where everyone wants to go first. Hey, it's the way our medically-propagandized brains work. It also happens to one of the biggest FAILED PROMISES of modern medicine. However, there is one supplement I recommend for helping you successfully accomplishing this endeavor. PGFO. Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil (not the junk from Mal Wart or the health food store) is excellent for helping with DEPRESSION, ADHD / ANXIETY, INFLAMMATION, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, symptoms of SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE, FIBROMYALGIA, UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR, AUTOIMMUNITY, as well as most ENDOCRINE and HORMONAL ISSUES. But please listen to me for a moment. As well as various supplements can work for some people, there is no substitute for a good diet. Read and follow the Paleo Posts above, and you will succeed in your quest to kick the sugar habit!
GARY TAUBES: GOOD CALORIES / BAD CALORIES, & WHY WE GET FAT
TO CHEAT OR NOT TO CHEAT
THAT IS THE QUESTION
Cheating on your diet. For many people it's no big deal --- particularly those who are in great health, maintain their perfect weight, and eat healthy because they want to stay that way. However, for many others, CHEAT DAYS can be a huge problem that dramatically increases the risks of a serious setback. If you want to understand why this issue of "cheating" on a diet is a much bigger deal for some people than it is for others, take a moment and read YESTERDAY'S POST. And in the meantime, allow me to share a personal experience with you.
When I first started eating LOW CARB about 17 years ago, I would periodically cheat (not that I don't cheat now, but it's fairly infrequent). More recently --- particularly after determining that I am both Gluten and Dairy Sensitive and that PARKINSON'S DISEASE runs in my family --- I have been committed to being more careful about what I eat (especially since I have an issue with CRAVINGS). For one thing, I have to stay in great health to take care of MY PATIENTS and support my family. On top of that; few things peeve me more than UNHEALTHY DOCTORS. If you are going to take care of sick people or those struggling with all sorts of CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES --- including those that are SYSTEMIC --- you have to lead from the front (HERE).
A week ago today, MY ELDEST DAUGHTER was having her 14th birthday party by having some friends over for a sleepover. One of these girls brought over some cinnamon rolls that were homemade, and touted as GLUTEN FREE since the grain used to make them had been soaked for 24 hours in buttermilk (one of the GLUTEN MYTHS that I previously busted). They were huge rolls. I ate three of them --- hot, with butter. Since I was already off the Reservation, later in the day I figured I may as well have a big glass of eggnog while I was at it (I ended up having a couple). On top of that, I had a couple bites of homemade German Chocolate Pie. You would think that after all these years, I would learn. Nope. I will still, on occasion, eat things I know will AFFECT ME. You can go ahead and call me a brain-dead moron --- I'm used to it by now (HERE).
The first cinnamon roll triggered some crazy cravings just like I knew it probably would. For the next couple of days, I felt sluggish and bloated. The thing that always amazes me about my cheating is what it does to my mind. Because I would characterize myself as a "dry" sugarholic, taking that first bite releases something inside me that screams for more. Part of my brain tells me that since I blew it, I may as well go ahead and blow the rest of the month ---- after all it is the Holiday Season. The crazy thing is, I KNOW THIS ABOUT MYSELF and still ignore it on occasion. But like I said, I am getting better and am back on track after my latest trip off the wagon. Probably a good thing I never got into drugs!
CHRONIC NECK PAIN
TWO PROBLEMS THAT FIT TOGETHER LIKE A HAND IN A GLOVE
These accidents tend to hold the body in place with a seat belt, while allowing the neck to slam violently back and forth. Although the layman's term for this is "Whiplash", in the scientific literature, you will see them referred to as "Acceleration / Deceleration injuries, WAD (Whiplash Associated Disorders), or a whole host of others. Because these injuries tend to injure the FASCIA, they can escape standard medical tests for years --- or even decades.
What is interesting about Tracy's case is that I saw her not long after her original accident in 1996. Unfortunately, I was not yet using the same methods I am now using in the office and was unable to help her. About 8-10 years ago, out of sheer desperation, she came back in to see if there was something that could be done for her chronic neck pain and headaches. I told her that I thought I could help her, and the rest is history --- until recent MVA brought her back in for a lesser version of the same problem. Over the years, we've also fixed TENNIS ELBOW and DeQUERVAIN'S for Tracy as well. For more Video Testimonials of real patients, simply CLICK HERE.
Tracy runs a horse therapy center and her husband is an area pastor as well as being a physician who has been in practice longer in Mountain View than any other (Ozark Medical Center / McVicker Family Health Care). Thanks Tracy! I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!
WHY IT'S NEVER A GOOD IDEA WITH AN ELIMINATION DIET
To do this diet correctly; for the first 30 days you cannot cheat --- at all. The reason is simple. Foods that people are sensitive to (Gluten for instance) have the ability not only to cause Neurological Problems, but they can cause Inflammatory and Autoimmune Reactions at amounts as low as 20 parts per million (ppm). This means that every time you cheat, there is a high probability that you are firing up your Immune System and creating an antigen / antibody response ---- something that may take several days (or longer) to work through. Dr. Russell Schierling
Virtually all disease processes (even many of those that we like to blame on "BAD GENES") start in SIMILAR FASHION. You are likely reading this post because you have heard about some of the potential ADVANTAGES OF GOING PALEO, and are ready to try it yourself to see if it could help you. But the truth is, you don't really know how or where to start. How in the world do you implement the program? What do you eat? What about snacks? What about recipes? How long does it take to see results? Most people thinking about going "Paleo" have about a million questions. Although I have written numerous articles on this particular topic, there is an inexpensive, easy-to-understand book that I recommend you get and read from cover to cover.
An Elimination Diet, as defined by a popular online dictionary involves, "entirely removing suspected foods from the diet for a period of time from two weeks to two months, and waiting to determine whether symptoms resolve during that time period". These foods are then added back, one-at-a-time, every few days, in order to precisely determine which food(s) produce adverse reactions. Although I do believe that in many cases, two weeks is enough time to provide the desired changes, this is not always the case. To make sure you do not miss anything, I recommend "The Whole 30" --- the thirty day Elimination Diet described in IT STARTS WITH FOOD.
WHEN IS IT OK TO CHEAT?
When your body makes Antibodies against an offending invader (a bacteria or virus), it files the blueprint away in a computer-like memory bank. This is why with most diseases (measles, mumps, whooping cough, chicken pox, etc), you only get them once (the common cold is caused by a virus that is constantly mutating, negating the effects of "Antibody Memory"). In other words, with many different invaders, your Immune System can recall whether it has created antibodies against it already, or not. Unfortunately, many people's bodies perceive certain foods as invaders. When this happens it creates Antibody Immune Responses against these foods. Since it's so common, let's use GLUTEN --- wheat protein --- as our example. As crazy as it sounds, these immune responses can take place with a trigger as low as 20 parts-per-million (PPM). In other words, if you are sensitive to it, the next time you eat Gluten, your body will remember this fact and react against this perceived "invader". What does this mean in practical terms?
It means that if you are on a PALEO DIET solely for weight loss / weight maintenance, the occasional CHEAT DAY is probably not a deal-breaker for you. Don't get me wrong; for some people in WEIGHT LOSS MODE, it can be problematic --- very problematic. This is particularly true of those who are really struggling with BLOOD SUGAR DYSREGULATION (including HYPOGLYCEMIA) and / or SUGAR / CARB ADDICTIONS. Give these people a taste of SUGAR / STARCH, and they become s stark-raving lunatic in search of their next fix (also true of those individuals who have Gluto-morphin or Caseio-morphin addictions to the fragments of Gluten or Milk protein that binds to morphine receptors --- HERE).
However, if you are eating a Paleo Diet because you have figured out that you are Gluten Sensitive (or sensitive to other foods or food additives such as dairy, MSG, nitrates / nitrites, etc), cheating can be a huge deal ---- particularly during the first month (the "Elimination" phase). The whole purpose of the Elimination Phase is to calm your Immune System down by totally removing reactive foods from your diet. If you cheat during this period, not only will you lose perspective concerning where you really are in the process; if you do fire off a reaction, it will likely take anywhere from 2-5 days for your Immune System to settle down and purge the Antibodies / Inflammation out of your system. In other words, breaking down and eating that bagel on day 12 probably threw a huge wrench in the machine.
YOU CAN DO THIS!
I've known Wendy for several years, and her husband Steve even longer than that. When Steve was complaining about CHRONIC GOUT earlier in the year, I suggested he read "It Starts With Food". He got the E-version for his Kindle (ten bucks), changed his diet, and soon began to see some amazing changes not only in his gout, but in his overall health. Getting Wendy to buy in was a bit tougher. But after reading the book, she wanted to give it a whirl herself. Determined to do it the right way, once she was in, she was all in.
When people ask me what the best form of exercise is, I always tell them that the most critical thing that you can do exercise-wise, is to eat properly. In other words, the foods you consume are infinitely more important that YOUR EXERCISE ROUTINE. Unfortunately, most people have no idea what "properly" really means when it comes to diet.
Wendy had been trying to loose a few pounds and get in shape for a number of years --- and in some ways had made some progress. But the harsh reality was, she had been literally killing herself (both physically and time-wise) with a wide variety of exercise, including Zumba, with little to show for it, considering the time, effort, energy, and money she was pouring in. Via following a strict Paleo Diet, Wendy turned the corner. Not only has she lost those extra pounds (mostly in the BELLY), she has licked some life-long health problems ---- in just a few short months. Listen as Wendy describes some of the changes that going Paleo has made in her life. Thanks a ton Wendy. You and Steve are knocking it out of the park ---- way out of the park! I promise that lives will be changed because of this video.
FASCIA AND CHRONIC PAIN
DO YOU HAVE MULTIPLE LOCAL PROBLEMS OR A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM?
Although I help lots and lots of people with a wide variety of Fascia-Based CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES, you'll have to deal with "Systemic Problems" in a much different manner than local problems. Most of the people you see in our hundreds of VIDEO TESTIMONIALS came to me with local problems, and in many cases, several local problems. The truth is, however, folks who have CHRONIC PAIN caused by Fascial Adhesions at multiple body sites are much more likely to have a deeper problem ---- a Systemic Problem. Sometimes people in this boat fail to grasp this; in many cases getting indignant when I tell them I can't provide them what they are looking for (HERE). My goal is always that if you make the trip to see me, our time together is fruitful.
As is almost always the case, find out what is driving INFLAMMATION, and you'll likely find out what's making you hurt. There are a host of potential factors that could be the culprit. You might have an AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE that is causing your own body to attack your Fascia or other connective tissue (fairly common --- especially with HEAD OR NECK INJURIES --- HERE). You could have a LEAKY GUT or other issues arising from POOR GUT HEALTH. You might be ESTROGEN DOMINANT, or have ADRENAL FATIGUE. You might have a hidden infection (HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE or HERE) or a funky case of DYSBIOSIS. Or you be sabotaging yourself with toxic chemicals (HERE or HERE). Many of these cause SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE as well.
No matter what the problem is, many of you will prove to be GLUTEN SENSITIVE --- a mostly NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEM which, when combined with neck or TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURIES, has the ability to cause some BIZARRE AND SEEMINGLY UNRELATED SYMPTOMS. What would I advise you to do? For one thing, don't jump right back on the MEDICAL MERRY-GO-ROUND!
You may very well end up needing to see some sort of physician (MD, Chiro, Naturopath, FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGIST) who specializes in FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE. Just remember that the solutions will be similar for most people (HERE), simply because the common denominators of chronic pain and chronic illness are so similar (HERE). Getting your life back starts with diet and lifestyle. Although you can follow the links above for hints, you can get the ball rolling by doing an ELIMINATION DIET. Many of you will end up requiring some additional testing. But many of you --- probably the vast majority of you --- will see some amazing results just by making some simple changes in your day-to-day regimen and then moving forward from there.
Here's one of "Russ's Rules of Thumb". If someone tells me they have problems both above and below the waist, and on both sides of their body, a red flag goes up warning me that this could be a systemic problem. The more you look like the picture at the top of the page, the more likely your problem is systemic, and the less likely I will be able to effectively treat you until you deal with the systemic issues.
YAHOO RUNS STORY TOUTING RUNNING
AS THE BEST WAY METHOD OF WEIGHT LOSS
I used to run and now I'm on a long list for knee replacement. A comment to the below Yahoo article by someone calling them self AllisVanity.
The article starts out by saying that, "Any exercise is good exercise, but when it comes to losing weight, it's hard to beat running. After all, running is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories and get fit without having to restrict your diet." This entire statement is false. The truth is, there is a great deal of exercise that is not good. For example, although we have far too many folks here in America who are sedentary, there is also a large number of regular exercisers who are -- believe it or not -- overdoing it (the technical word for this is 'over-training'). Furthermore, the reason you workout is NEVER so that you can, "get fit without having to restrict your diet". If you are EATING PROPERLY, there are always things that should you should be restricting from your diet --- no matter what your weight is. We could start with SUGAR, JUNK FOOD, and TRANS FATS, and move from there to things like MSG, and ASPARTAME). I want you to understand that both diet and the kind / amount of exercise you do are critical for WEIGHT LOSS. Today, I am specifically going to show you that when it comes to the STRENGTH TRAINING -vs- CARDIO debate, Strength Training is a runaway winner.
Yahoo says that, "running works even when you're at rest". They then go on to tell you that running burns more calories at rest (after you have exercised) than does walking. I will buy this, but be aware that you are not being told the whole truth. Sprints are better than running for weight loss, and guess what is even better than sprints? That's right ---- Strength Training. And it's not even close. Runners increase their metabolism for about four hours post-workout. That goes up to well over 30 hours for those who engage in Resistance Training. Case in point (HERE). You can also click on the last link in the previous paragraph for more information on the subject.
The next point that Yahoo wants you to swallow is that, "running is time efficient". This begs the question of exactly what running is more time efficient than? Again, they compare it to walking. This is certainly true, as you will undoubtedly burn more calories running a mile than walking a mile. They also compare it to "The 7 Minute Workout". When it comes to working out, the scientific literature on the subject says that High Intensity / Short Duration is best. But 7 minutes? That might be a wee bit short. The secret to using your workout to lose weight is not the number of calories you are burning while you are working out ---- it is the number of calories you burn at rest (the amount by which you are able to increase your metabolism). For a review of this, please re-read the preceding paragraph.
The third on their list is, "running is convenient". I can buy this. According to the article, running is double convenient because you don't even need shoes (they tout barefoot running). However, is it really more 'convenient' to run than to do simple workouts like THIS? I say not! Click on the link because it defeats one of those old WORKOUT MYTHS I recently dealt with ---- you don't have to go to the gym to get a good workout.
And as for their last point, "the runner's high", are we to believe that running is the only form of exercise that releases "endorphins and morphine-like brain chemicals"? Not on your life! In fact, the authors themselves answer this question by saying that the link to the "runner's high" is not specifically with running, but with any form of, "moderate to intense exercise". All four of their points are busted!
The thing is, look at the source. The article originally appeared in Runner's World, and was actually written by their editors. This is not science. It is feel-good fluffiness. If you want more articles on this topic, you will find them HERE. Oh, and one more thing. For those of you who absolutely love to run --- great. I don't have a problem with it. Just make sure you don't go overboard, and add some simple Strength Training to your regimen. All it takes is 15-20 minutes, two or three times per week.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration