AMERICANS USE A LOT OF ANTIBIOTICS
"Every day, Americans use some 51 tons of antibiotics. But only about a fifth of that is to treat human illness. Most of the rest is given to livestock -- and not because the animals are sick. Instead the drugs are used for what the FDA calls 'production purposes': to help animals gain weight more rapidly....." Michael Smith from a recent MedPage Today article called Antibiotic Use in Animals Under Fire.
Last year, the FDA, realizing that ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE was skyrocketing, decided to 'suggest' that antibiotics only be used if approved / prescribed by a vet. Makes us feel all warm and cozy doesn't it? Not after you realize that not one in a hundred farmers are even aware of the 'ban'. This is because the supposed ban came in the form of having the PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES add a few words to the small print on the bottle's label. If things have not improved in three years, the FDA will revisit the issue and "suggest" some changes to their original suggestions.
By then, the individuals most responsible for these suggestions will be working inside the industry as paid lobbyists or 'consultants' where they can be paid the big bucks for their suggestions (see FDA link above). Hey; it's the way that EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE works here in America! What can you personally do about this problem? Find someplace other than the grocery store to buy your meat. Yes; as a promoter of the PALEO DIET, I am a promoter of consuming meat (preferably antibiotic-free meat).
If you live somewhere where there are a lot of deer, you could HUNT for a good portion of your meat. If that is not an option, find someone selling beef (or poultry) that is both antibiotic-free and HORMONE FREE. Although there are many in our area, a great new resource for this kind of meat is FRESCOLN FARMS.
DREONNA BRETON AND OUR NATION'S VACCINATION POLICIES
I want to give this baby the best shot that I can. There are just things in the flu vaccine that are not known, like how it affects my growing baby. Dreonna Breton from a December 19th story run on WGAL News 8
It's unconscionable for a healthcare worker not to be immunized. Pregnant women are more susceptible to the flu. Company spokesperson, Alan Peterson, as quoted by the Associated Press. Is this true? Keep reading and find out
I learned that Rick's niece, Dreonna "Burris" Breton, was recently fired from her position as an RN with Horizon Healthcare Services in Susquehanna Valley, Pennsylvania. Although Dreonna was quite young when I left CHASE COUNTY, I remember her from being at Toby and Kim's house on a couple occasions. I also believe my dad would have been her grade school principal. But back the the question at hand; why did Dreonna lose her job? What was her 'crime'?
Dreonna lost her job simply because she chose not to have a Flu Shot. I can't exactly blame her; especially when she had such good reason for refusing. She's pregnant. As far as I am concerned, this fact alone should be more than enough reason to legally / ethically enable a woman to refuse having toxic elements (MERCURY and ALUMINUM are two of many) injected into their body. Unfortunately, freedom to chose is no longer an option when it comes to vaccinations for healthcare workers. Mark my words, it's just the beginning. As everyone reading this post is soon going to find out, when it comes to American healthcare, the Bob Dylan effect is underway. The times they are a changing. And from all indications, they are not changing for the better.
Understand that no matter your political persuasion; because of our nation's increasingly nationalized medical policies, the day is rapidly approaching when just like Dreonna, you are going to find yourself unable to make healthcare decisions. Important decisions will be made for you by an entity that thinks it knows more about taking care of your family than you do ---- Big Government. Think I'm exaggerating?
Dreonna's particular case pertains to healthcare workers. For those who do not know, people working in the healthcare field are now required to get certain VACCINATIONS --- including the FLU SHOT. In order to insure obedience, adherence to these policies is now being tied to federal monies. In other words, if a medical facility does not have 100% employee vaccination rates, the government will be withholding percentages of their state and federal subsidies (schools that are not already doing so, will soon be be on the same bandwagon). Oh; I get it. You think that you'll be unaffected just because you aren't a healthcare worker or don't have children in school? Don't hold your breath.
Because we have collectively voted for government-controlled healthcare, prepare to have your healthcare increasingly controlled by the government. As time goes on, you will lose more and more freedoms pertaining to what healthcare you want or don't want for yourself or your family. What does this chipping away at your freedom boil down to? What does practically everything boil down to in this country ---- particularly when it comes to that happy threesome of Big Government, Big Pharma, and the Medical Industry? You already know the answer to this. Money! Sorry folks. No matter how hard you wish it were true, government-mandated 'EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE' is not going to solve our national health and OBESITY crisis.
Although many will adamantly disagree with her decision, Dreonna is intelligent and well-read on this issue. After personally seeing the shocking numbers of kids neurologically, endocrinologically, and metabolically messed up by vaccines in my little practice in the RURAL OZARKS, I believe that she made the best choice she could have made for her unborn child. After going through several recent miscarriages, Dreonna knew she did not want to do anything to hurt her chances of delivering a healthy, full-term baby.
Granted, there are numerous issues besides vaccinations that relate to INFERTILITY and the ability to carry a child to term, but let's be honest with ourselves for a moment. Women know to avoid all sorts of chemicals, drugs, and alcohol during pregnancy. It only makes sense to bail on the mercury and aluminum as well. And as for the chances of her patients contracting the Flu because she chose to forgo the shot; I would sincerely hope that you read THIS PIECE before passing judgment that Dreonna's decision puts her patients in harms way. HERE is a great piece I added after the fact on the issue of pregnancy and the flu.
Although I probably should have called Dreonna for a personal interview (occasionally I manage to beat the the big boys to A SCOOP on hot-button issues), it is likely that Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc, will soon be carrying this story or stories just like it. Rest assured that when they do, Dreonna (or whomever they chose to interview for their story) will be edited to look like a fool. A lone wolf. A trouble maker looking for some kind of big payday. Even though you never asked for it Dreonna; you're soon going to be famous.
The interesting thing about this whole situation from a patient's perspective is that in similar fashion to INFLAMMATION, I am not sure that 1 in 1,000 people could tell you what the Flu really is. Oh; don't get me wrong --- everyone certainly thinks they know what the Flu is. But as far as really knowing? Doubtful (HERE is what I am talking about). Hang in there Dreonna --- I know that there are lots of people praying for you. I wish there were something more I could do for you right now (if there is, please let me know).
COOPER CUTTING HORSES
MICHAEL "SUPER" COOPER
They call Michael "Super Cooper" for good reason. In his career, he has taken home over 3 million dollars in prize money (HERE). In a profession full of people born into it (most of them monied), he is the proverbial self-made man. Not that Michael himself wouldn't give God all of the credit, but years ago, he taught himself the art of training Cutting Horses. He started out using techniques learned from library books on his $300 horse ---- quite a difference compared to the high-dollar horses he trains today. You see, Michael took a completely different route to success than anyone else in his profession. Through hard work, dedication, and a natural horse talent, Michael worked himself into one of the top-ranked Cutting Horse Trainers on the planet (he now lives in Wetherford / Fort Worth, Texas). One thing I can say about Michael is that fame and fortune haven't changed him. At his core, he is still a God-fearing good-ole-boy from the hills of Southern Missouri, who loves his wife and family.
Michael was in Monday with his family to get treated for SHOULDER ISSUES that are due to the repetitive nature of his work. Sara shot a VIDEO TESTIMONIAL, but for some reason we had a problem with the picture (below is the transcript). Thanks Michael! You, Jennifer, and the boys have a Merry Christmas. And say hello to Emmet and Flora Beth for me! God Bless.
Hi, I'm Michael Cooper, a horse trainer from Summersville, Missouri. I had a horse buck me off and land --- actually it fell with me, and I landed on my right shoulder. And when it did, I was unable to move the back side of my shoulder. I thought this was just like any other injury I had been through, and that I'd just get over it. But despite my best efforts, I couldn't raise up my arm. In fact, as time went on, I couldn't even get my arm up high enough to shoot a basketball [I used to play some pick-up ball with Michael and his brothers back in the day. They could all 'light the candle'].
So, I talked to doc and told him that adjustments weren't helping this problem. He said he wanted to try something a bit different. He started working on my shoulder. Almost immediately, I was able to move it better. So he worked on it some more --- and the more he worked on it, the better I was able to move it. I thought wow, this is really amazing! The results were immediate.
Time went by, and I actually forgot about it. So I went to see doc again and he asked how my shoulder was doing. I told doc that it was pretty good, but that I wanted him to look at it again and work on it some more. It's made a big difference in my range of motion --- it works like it's supposed to now. Since I train horses for a living, I don't get enough stretching up high [all Micheal's work is with his arms down low on the reigns]. Through his tissue work it's changed my overall ability to move and do my job. It's been awesome for me. Thanks Doc! - Michael Cooper, December 23, 2013
MICHAEL COOPER & "TRAVELIN SMOOTH" WIN
THE TUNICA FUTURITY OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
A GIFT FROM DR. SCHIERLING
Dr. Schierling ! What a good news. My painful bunion on my left foot is gone – no inflammation at all. Thanks be to God for what you provide to us, your patients. Your gift of information is one of the most practical and long lasting gifts you could give. Thanks again for your love, care, and concern about educating us on how we can maintain our good health. We can always get honest information from your blog/newsletter. Yes! knowledge is power if we choose to apply it. Diane Harmon, a patient from the Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas area. She has been on a Paleo Diet for the past several months.
My gift to you this year is information. All year round, I provide you and your family with valuable health-related information that you will be hard-pressed to find anywhere else ---- information that your doctor is certainly not going to clue you in on. And here's the doubly cool thing --- it's all free.
Take a hard look at my site. Click some of the links. It certainly isn't fancy. But it is loaded with self-help articles and things you can do to take the bull by the horns and help yourself (for instance, take a quick peek at what I published earlier this morning). My goal is not to sell you anything. Heck; I don't even have a 'shopping cart' on my site. I don't care about that. What I do care about is you. I realize it may sound a bit campy, but because I have lived it myself, my goal is to help those of you who are suffering with Chronic Pain Syndromes and / or Chronic Ill Health get your lives back. When you get your life back, it's sort of like someone handing you a gold brick and saying here you go ---- keep it. It's yours. No strings attached.
I would ask one thing in return. Help us reach more people. Tell others about this site. You can also forward the posts you deem valuable or worthy, to those whom you know could benefit. Unfortunately, we all know way too many people with serious health problems. While you are at it, stop by and like us on FACEBOOK. That's it. Simple, isn't it? And it only takes a few seconds. Thank you.
Wishing you and your family a healthy, blessed, and Merry Christmas from the Ozarks.
SUGAR OR JUNK ADDICTION
ARE YOU AN ADDICT?
"Available evidence in humans shows that sugar and sweetness can induce reward and craving that are comparable in magnitude to those induced by addictive drugs.... Overall, this research has revealed that sugar and sweet reward can not only substitute to addictive drugs, like cocaine, but can even be more rewarding and attractive. At the neurobiological level, the neural substrates of sugar and sweet reward appear to be more robust than those of cocaine." From the abstract of the July 2013 issue of the medical journal, Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care
Google the term "SUGAR ADDICTION" and you'll get over six million hits (a couple of them might even be articles I wrote on the subject). Even though it is, an addiction; it is one of America's more "acceptable" addictions --- one that people who roll up their nose at drunks or drug addicts can engage in without any significant social scorn from their peers --- it is and addiction nonetheless. How do you know whether you are a sugar addict or not? Although a Sugar Addiction is not usually as blatantly ugly as other addictions are, just give it a little time and it will produce not only the classic psychological signs of the addict, it will also manifest a host of physical symptoms as well --- symptoms that reveal just how serious a problem this really is. Take the simple self-test below.
- TRYING TO HIDE YOUR ADDICTION: Although easy at first, this gets consistently more difficult because of the continual need for more of what you crave. This is the very nature of an addiction. No matter your drug-of-choice, it always takes "more" to experience any feelings of the 'high' (increased pleasure / reduced emotional negativity). Eventually, hiding the addiction becomes impossible.
- SUGAR STASHES: Remember the old TV shows where the town drunk would have partially-drunk whiskey bottles stashed in almost every conceivable place? Many sugar addicts do the same thing.
- EXCUSES / DENIAL: What's amazing is how similar these excuses and denials sound to the excuses and denials made by alcoholics or drug addicts. I personally know a person who became seriously addicted to prescription painkillers after a serious injury. Although the injury had healed and this person could have gotten off the meds, it took an inordinate amount of time and intervention. You should have heard the excuses.
- ANYTHING FOR A FIX: Do you start your day with sugar (HERE)? If you find yourself in bizarre situations trying to get your hands on sugar or carbs, you definitely have a problem. Just like those addicted to hard drugs, the sugar addict will do anything to get their fix. It is the focal point of their lives.
- CONTINUING DESPITE THE PERSISTENT DAMAGE IT IS DOING: As you have seen, this damage can be physical, psychological, or more likely, a combination of the two. Even though a person might realize it is destroying their health and relationships, they choose sugar anyway. It is frequently the single most powerful motivating factor in their life.
- PATHOLOGICAL CRAVINGS / FEAR OF GIVING UP SUGAR: Do you have health or social problems that affect school, work, or relationships because of the need to consume sugar and carbs, yet keep on doing so despite the negative consequences? Do you chase after sugar even though it is causing you physical or emotional pain? Is it the driving force in your life? Near the end of his month-long journey as captured in the documentary Super Size Me, a recently overweight Morgan Spurlock tells his video camera that the only time he feels good about himself now is when he is, "eating this crap". If you are using sugar /carbs to boost your mood (serotonin levels), or can't bear the thought of giving up the stuff (HERE), you probably have a sugar addiction. One more thing; if you feel DEPRESSED at the mere thought of going without sugar, it's a dead give away that you have an addiction.
- PLAYING THE SUBSTITUTION GAME: This could mean that you are substituting sugar substitutes for sugar (HERE). However, it could mean something far more insidious (HERE).
- ISSUES WITH WEIGHT: Although sugar addiction almost always leads to OBESITY, sometimes people think they are getting away with it because they are still skinny. This is simply because some people's over-taxed pancreases take longer to burn out than others. Be aware that even though you might be of a "normal" weight, too much sugar or starch has a tendency to create the SKINNY FAT EFFECT. Once people begin gaining the extra weight, the "FAT BUT FIT" excuse is an old standby.
- OTHER ADDICTIONS: This is particularly true of things like coffee, SMOKES, or alcohol (which itself is metabolized just like sugar). When the pancreas burns out due to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar (see next point) the ADRENAL GLANDS kick in to help the failing pancreas. Most sugar addicts will frequently want things that boost their Adrenal Response (caffeine, nicotine, sugar). Unfortunately, this is not helpful, and is a doorway to a whole host of other problems.
- UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR: Numerous people will tell me that they do not have a problem with blood sugar because they recently had their blood checked and it was normal (HERE). If they are consuming mass quantities of sugar on a regular basis, they are fooling themselves (HERE). Uncontrolled Blood Sugar is the number one health issue facing the American population today --- and it's not even close. The last point in this section will go into more detail.
- YOU ARE TIRED AND SLUGGISH AFTER YOU EAT: If you feel tired or sluggish after meals, you undoubtedly have REACTIVE HYPOGLYCEMIA. This is the BLOOD SUGAR low that comes "reactively" after the high. Low blood sugar and high blood sugar are two sides of the same coin that we call Diabetes.
- YOU HAVE TROUBLE CONCENTRATING: There are numerous studies touting the ill effects of sugar on cognitive function as well as dementia. In fact, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE is now being called Type III Diabetes because its characteristic brain plaques result from Uncontrolled Blood Sugar.
- A COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEM: You are constantly sick (HERE). The problem is, sugar and ANTIBIOTICS are a devastating combination (HERE), that leads to a wide variety of DYSBIOTIC HEALTH ISSUES, including Systemic (blood-borne) Yeast. The yeast itself requires sugar to survive and creates horrendous cravings in its attempt to take over your body. Besides Antibiotics, CORTICOSTEROIDS (a form of Innumo-suppressive drug) create sugar cravings as well.
- DIMINISHED LIBIDO: Whether male or female, if you don't have the desire to have sex, you are likely dealing with a blood sugar issues (HERE and HERE). If you would trade sex for a handful of bon bons, you have a sugar addiction.
- HORMONAL ISSUES --- PARTICULARLY PCOS: Listen to what Dr Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, author of "Beat Sugar Addiction Now" said on the June 10, 2010 episode of ABC's 6:00 news, "hormonal fluctuations in women entering menopause can cause anxiety, depression, and insulin resistance that can also lead to sugar addictions". Although he is correct, this is a chicken 'egg thing, meaning the opposite is true as well. For more on PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome --- the #1 female problem in America today --- go HERE).
- INCREASED ACIDITY: If you are fighting diseases of acidity (although there are many, the two that most immediately come to mind are CANCER and OSTEOPOROSIS), it would not be a stretch to wonder if you have a sugar addiction. Get some litmus paper at the corner drug store and test your pH.
- ALL SICKNESS AND DISEASE: AUTOIMMUNITY, INFLAMMATORY ILLNESS, and almost every single health issue you care to mention (see the bullet point above on Uncontrolled Blood Sugar) have similar starting points. If you would rather ignore this than click on the links, you are likely addicted to sugar / carbs.
HOW TO CONQUER YOUR SUGAR ADDICTION
- STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR HEALTH AND YOUR LIFE ---- ADMIT YOU ARE AN ADDICT AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT: As is the case with all sorts of problems, the first thing you have to do is identify it as such. As long as you stay in denial, nothing will get accomplished.
- LEARN THE MANY WAYS THAT SUGAR HIDES: Simply learn to read food labels. Oh, and be aware that you might even have a GLUTOMORPHIN ADDICTION as well. Even though you have never heard of this, it is far more common (and scary) than imagined.
- DON'T BRING CRAP IN YOUR HOUSE, CAR, OR WORKPLACE: This is a no-brainer folks. If you are stashing junk food in strategic places, you will fail in your endeavor to kick your addiction. You have to stay away from the stuff. Period. Unfortunately, 'church' is all too often a dangerous place for the sugar addict.
- GET YOURSELF AN ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER: Most of us benefit from someone to help hold our fingers to the fire. Although it can be done (HERE), most persons will have a rough go of it when kicking an addiction alone. HERE is how I have gone about this in the past.
- EXERCISE THE RIGHT WAY: Although there about a jillion ways to exercise, if you want the straight scoop on getting the most benefit out of the shortest amount of time, go HERE.
- ABSTAIN FROM SUGAR AND HIGH GLYCEMIC INDEX CARBOHYDRATES: Listen folks. I already know you are going to call me a harsh, hard-hearted SOB for saying this, but truthfully; I don't really care. When we addicts get down to the point where the rubber meets the road, there's only one way to lick an addiction (this is largely true for any addiction). You have to go Cold Turkey! If you will simply eliminate the sugar, carbs, and artificial sweeteners from your life, your cravings will dramatically subside, and eventually go away (usually within a matter of weeks). How has that whole "I'll just cut back a bit" thing been working for you so far? That's right. It doesn't. In fact, it constantly re-starts and feeds your cravings. If you are addicted to narcotics or alcohol you can’t simply just 'cut down' a bit. By cutting out all forms of sugar (starch, bread, pasta, OJ, fruit --- yeah, for many people fruit is one of those "substitutions" we dealt with earlier ---- artificial sweeteners, and almost anything that is processed), you actually allow your brain's chemistry to recalibrate itself. If you think you can 'dabble' with sugar / carbs and still kick the habit, you are fooling yourself.
- CHANGE YOUR DIET AND CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR BY EATING SMALL PROTEIN-BASED MEALS MORE OFTEN: For Pete's sake; it's practically 2014. Can we get over the FEAR OF DIETARY FAT thing already? Follow the advice on this bullet point and watch your cravings fly out the window. And as far as what sort of diet you need to be eating? You must do something that controls blood sugar! Although there are a ton of these out there, I recommend PALEO for the reasons listed in the posts you will find if you click on the link.
- START YOUR DAY THE RIGHT WAY: We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Start living it (HERE)!
- USE A GREENS PRODUCT: There are many of these out there. We use THIS ONE . Not necessarily because it's the best product on the market, but because it is a good product that does not taste like pond scum. These products are valuable for helping solve sugar / carb cravings, while providing some solid nutrition in the process.
- DON'T BE AFRAID TO EAT BIG: When FRED & DIANE HARMON recently returned to our home, she treated us all to an authentic, home-cooked, multi-course, Thai meal. It involved fresh ingredients, freshly ground herbs and spices (yes, she brought her own mortar and pestle), some lean meat, and copious amounts of fresh vegetables. You could literally gorge yourself on foods like this at every meal --- and still LOSE WEIGHT. Until you resolve the calorie myth, you will have problems dealing with sugar / carb addictions.
- NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS: This is where everyone wants to go first. Hey, it's the way our medically-propagandized brains work. It also happens to one of the biggest FAILED PROMISES of modern medicine. However, there is one supplement I recommend for helping you successfully accomplishing this endeavor. PGFO. Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil (not the junk from Mal Wart or the health food store) is excellent for helping with DEPRESSION, ADHD / ANXIETY, INFLAMMATION, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, symptoms of SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE, FIBROMYALGIA, UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR, AUTOIMMUNITY, as well as most ENDOCRINE and HORMONAL ISSUES. But please listen to me for a moment. As well as various supplements can work for some people, there is no substitute for a good diet. Read and follow the Paleo Posts above, and you will succeed in your quest to kick the sugar habit!
GARY TAUBES: GOOD CALORIES / BAD CALORIES, & WHY WE GET FAT
TO CHEAT OR NOT TO CHEAT
THAT IS THE QUESTION
Cheating on your diet. For many people it's no big deal --- particularly those who are in great health, maintain their perfect weight, and eat healthy because they want to stay that way. However, for many others, CHEAT DAYS can be a huge problem that dramatically increases the risks of a serious setback. If you want to understand why this issue of "cheating" on a diet is a much bigger deal for some people than it is for others, take a moment and read YESTERDAY'S POST. And in the meantime, allow me to share a personal experience with you.
When I first started eating LOW CARB about 17 years ago, I would periodically cheat (not that I don't cheat now, but it's fairly infrequent). More recently --- particularly after determining that I am both Gluten and Dairy Sensitive and that PARKINSON'S DISEASE runs in my family --- I have been committed to being more careful about what I eat (especially since I have an issue with CRAVINGS). For one thing, I have to stay in great health to take care of MY PATIENTS and support my family. On top of that; few things peeve me more than UNHEALTHY DOCTORS. If you are going to take care of sick people or those struggling with all sorts of CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES --- including those that are SYSTEMIC --- you have to lead from the front (HERE).
A week ago today, MY ELDEST DAUGHTER was having her 14th birthday party by having some friends over for a sleepover. One of these girls brought over some cinnamon rolls that were homemade, and touted as GLUTEN FREE since the grain used to make them had been soaked for 24 hours in buttermilk (one of the GLUTEN MYTHS that I previously busted). They were huge rolls. I ate three of them --- hot, with butter. Since I was already off the Reservation, later in the day I figured I may as well have a big glass of eggnog while I was at it (I ended up having a couple). On top of that, I had a couple bites of homemade German Chocolate Pie. You would think that after all these years, I would learn. Nope. I will still, on occasion, eat things I know will AFFECT ME. You can go ahead and call me a brain-dead moron --- I'm used to it by now (HERE).
The first cinnamon roll triggered some crazy cravings just like I knew it probably would. For the next couple of days, I felt sluggish and bloated. The thing that always amazes me about my cheating is what it does to my mind. Because I would characterize myself as a "dry" sugarholic, taking that first bite releases something inside me that screams for more. Part of my brain tells me that since I blew it, I may as well go ahead and blow the rest of the month ---- after all it is the Holiday Season. The crazy thing is, I KNOW THIS ABOUT MYSELF and still ignore it on occasion. But like I said, I am getting better and am back on track after my latest trip off the wagon. Probably a good thing I never got into drugs!
CHRONIC NECK PAIN
TWO PROBLEMS THAT FIT TOGETHER LIKE A HAND IN A GLOVE
These accidents tend to hold the body in place with a seat belt, while allowing the neck to slam violently back and forth. Although the layman's term for this is "Whiplash", in the scientific literature, you will see them referred to as "Acceleration / Deceleration injuries, WAD (Whiplash Associated Disorders), or a whole host of others. Because these injuries tend to injure the FASCIA, they can escape standard medical tests for years --- or even decades.
What is interesting about Tracy's case is that I saw her not long after her original accident in 1996. Unfortunately, I was not yet using the same methods I am now using in the office and was unable to help her. About 8-10 years ago, out of sheer desperation, she came back in to see if there was something that could be done for her chronic neck pain and headaches. I told her that I thought I could help her, and the rest is history --- until recent MVA brought her back in for a lesser version of the same problem. Over the years, we've also fixed TENNIS ELBOW and DeQUERVAIN'S for Tracy as well. For more Video Testimonials of real patients, simply CLICK HERE.
Tracy runs a horse therapy center and her husband is an area pastor as well as being a physician who has been in practice longer in Mountain View than any other (Ozark Medical Center / McVicker Family Health Care). Thanks Tracy! I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!
WHY IT'S NEVER A GOOD IDEA WITH AN ELIMINATION DIET
To do this diet correctly; for the first 30 days you cannot cheat --- at all. The reason is simple. Foods that people are sensitive to (Gluten for instance) have the ability not only to cause Neurological Problems, but they can cause Inflammatory and Autoimmune Reactions at amounts as low as 20 parts per million (ppm). This means that every time you cheat, there is a high probability that you are firing up your Immune System and creating an antigen / antibody response ---- something that may take several days (or longer) to work through. Dr. Russell Schierling
Virtually all disease processes (even many of those that we like to blame on "BAD GENES") start in SIMILAR FASHION. You are likely reading this post because you have heard about some of the potential ADVANTAGES OF GOING PALEO, and are ready to try it yourself to see if it could help you. But the truth is, you don't really know how or where to start. How in the world do you implement the program? What do you eat? What about snacks? What about recipes? How long does it take to see results? Most people thinking about going "Paleo" have about a million questions. Although I have written numerous articles on this particular topic, there is an inexpensive, easy-to-understand book that I recommend you get and read from cover to cover.
An Elimination Diet, as defined by a popular online dictionary involves, "entirely removing suspected foods from the diet for a period of time from two weeks to two months, and waiting to determine whether symptoms resolve during that time period". These foods are then added back, one-at-a-time, every few days, in order to precisely determine which food(s) produce adverse reactions. Although I do believe that in many cases, two weeks is enough time to provide the desired changes, this is not always the case. To make sure you do not miss anything, I recommend "The Whole 30" --- the thirty day Elimination Diet described in IT STARTS WITH FOOD.
WHEN IS IT OK TO CHEAT?
When your body makes Antibodies against an offending invader (a bacteria or virus), it files the blueprint away in a computer-like memory bank. This is why with most diseases (measles, mumps, whooping cough, chicken pox, etc), you only get them once (the common cold is caused by a virus that is constantly mutating, negating the effects of "Antibody Memory"). In other words, with many different invaders, your Immune System can recall whether it has created antibodies against it already, or not. Unfortunately, many people's bodies perceive certain foods as invaders. When this happens it creates Antibody Immune Responses against these foods. Since it's so common, let's use GLUTEN --- wheat protein --- as our example. As crazy as it sounds, these immune responses can take place with a trigger as low as 20 parts-per-million (PPM). In other words, if you are sensitive to it, the next time you eat Gluten, your body will remember this fact and react against this perceived "invader". What does this mean in practical terms?
It means that if you are on a PALEO DIET solely for weight loss / weight maintenance, the occasional CHEAT DAY is probably not a deal-breaker for you. Don't get me wrong; for some people in WEIGHT LOSS MODE, it can be problematic --- very problematic. This is particularly true of those who are really struggling with BLOOD SUGAR DYSREGULATION (including HYPOGLYCEMIA) and / or SUGAR / CARB ADDICTIONS. Give these people a taste of SUGAR / STARCH, and they become s stark-raving lunatic in search of their next fix (also true of those individuals who have Gluto-morphin or Caseio-morphin addictions to the fragments of Gluten or Milk protein that binds to morphine receptors --- HERE).
However, if you are eating a Paleo Diet because you have figured out that you are Gluten Sensitive (or sensitive to other foods or food additives such as dairy, MSG, nitrates / nitrites, etc), cheating can be a huge deal ---- particularly during the first month (the "Elimination" phase). The whole purpose of the Elimination Phase is to calm your Immune System down by totally removing reactive foods from your diet. If you cheat during this period, not only will you lose perspective concerning where you really are in the process; if you do fire off a reaction, it will likely take anywhere from 2-5 days for your Immune System to settle down and purge the Antibodies / Inflammation out of your system. In other words, breaking down and eating that bagel on day 12 probably threw a huge wrench in the machine.
YOU CAN DO THIS!
I've known Wendy for several years, and her husband Steve even longer than that. When Steve was complaining about CHRONIC GOUT earlier in the year, I suggested he read "It Starts With Food". He got the E-version for his Kindle (ten bucks), changed his diet, and soon began to see some amazing changes not only in his gout, but in his overall health. Getting Wendy to buy in was a bit tougher. But after reading the book, she wanted to give it a whirl herself. Determined to do it the right way, once she was in, she was all in.
When people ask me what the best form of exercise is, I always tell them that the most critical thing that you can do exercise-wise, is to eat properly. In other words, the foods you consume are infinitely more important that YOUR EXERCISE ROUTINE. Unfortunately, most people have no idea what "properly" really means when it comes to diet.
Wendy had been trying to loose a few pounds and get in shape for a number of years --- and in some ways had made some progress. But the harsh reality was, she had been literally killing herself (both physically and time-wise) with a wide variety of exercise, including Zumba, with little to show for it, considering the time, effort, energy, and money she was pouring in. Via following a strict Paleo Diet, Wendy turned the corner. Not only has she lost those extra pounds (mostly in the BELLY), she has licked some life-long health problems ---- in just a few short months. Listen as Wendy describes some of the changes that going Paleo has made in her life. Thanks a ton Wendy. You and Steve are knocking it out of the park ---- way out of the park! I promise that lives will be changed because of this video.
FASCIA AND CHRONIC PAIN
DO YOU HAVE MULTIPLE LOCAL PROBLEMS OR A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM?
Although I help lots and lots of people with a wide variety of Fascia-Based CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES, you'll have to deal with "Systemic Problems" in a much different manner than local problems. Most of the people you see in our hundreds of VIDEO TESTIMONIALS came to me with local problems, and in many cases, several local problems. The truth is, however, folks who have CHRONIC PAIN caused by Fascial Adhesions at multiple body sites are much more likely to have a deeper problem ---- a Systemic Problem. Sometimes people in this boat fail to grasp this; in many cases getting indignant when I tell them I can't provide them what they are looking for (HERE). My goal is always that if you make the trip to see me, our time together is fruitful.
As is almost always the case, find out what is driving INFLAMMATION, and you'll likely find out what's making you hurt. There are a host of potential factors that could be the culprit. You might have an AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE that is causing your own body to attack your Fascia or other connective tissue (fairly common --- especially with HEAD OR NECK INJURIES --- HERE). You could have a LEAKY GUT or other issues arising from POOR GUT HEALTH. You might be ESTROGEN DOMINANT, or have ADRENAL FATIGUE. You might have a hidden infection (HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE or HERE) or a funky case of DYSBIOSIS. Or you be sabotaging yourself with toxic chemicals (HERE or HERE). Many of these cause SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE as well.
No matter what the problem is, many of you will prove to be GLUTEN SENSITIVE --- a mostly NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEM which, when combined with neck or TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURIES, has the ability to cause some BIZARRE AND SEEMINGLY UNRELATED SYMPTOMS. What would I advise you to do? For one thing, don't jump right back on the MEDICAL MERRY-GO-ROUND!
You may very well end up needing to see some sort of physician (MD, Chiro, Naturopath, FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGIST) who specializes in FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE. Just remember that the solutions will be similar for most people (HERE), simply because the common denominators of chronic pain and chronic illness are so similar (HERE). Getting your life back starts with diet and lifestyle. Although you can follow the links above for hints, you can get the ball rolling by doing an ELIMINATION DIET. Many of you will end up requiring some additional testing. But many of you --- probably the vast majority of you --- will see some amazing results just by making some simple changes in your day-to-day regimen and then moving forward from there.
Here's one of "Russ's Rules of Thumb". If someone tells me they have problems both above and below the waist, and on both sides of their body, a red flag goes up warning me that this could be a systemic problem. The more you look like the picture at the top of the page, the more likely your problem is systemic, and the less likely I will be able to effectively treat you until you deal with the systemic issues.
YAHOO RUNS STORY TOUTING RUNNING
AS THE BEST WAY METHOD OF WEIGHT LOSS
I used to run and now I'm on a long list for knee replacement. A comment to the below Yahoo article by someone calling them self AllisVanity.
The article starts out by saying that, "Any exercise is good exercise, but when it comes to losing weight, it's hard to beat running. After all, running is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories and get fit without having to restrict your diet." This entire statement is false. The truth is, there is a great deal of exercise that is not good. For example, although we have far too many folks here in America who are sedentary, there is also a large number of regular exercisers who are -- believe it or not -- overdoing it (the technical word for this is 'over-training'). Furthermore, the reason you workout is NEVER so that you can, "get fit without having to restrict your diet". If you are EATING PROPERLY, there are always things that should you should be restricting from your diet --- no matter what your weight is. We could start with SUGAR, JUNK FOOD, and TRANS FATS, and move from there to things like MSG, and ASPARTAME). I want you to understand that both diet and the kind / amount of exercise you do are critical for WEIGHT LOSS. Today, I am specifically going to show you that when it comes to the STRENGTH TRAINING -vs- CARDIO debate, Strength Training is a runaway winner.
Yahoo says that, "running works even when you're at rest". They then go on to tell you that running burns more calories at rest (after you have exercised) than does walking. I will buy this, but be aware that you are not being told the whole truth. Sprints are better than running for weight loss, and guess what is even better than sprints? That's right ---- Strength Training. And it's not even close. Runners increase their metabolism for about four hours post-workout. That goes up to well over 30 hours for those who engage in Resistance Training. Case in point (HERE). You can also click on the last link in the previous paragraph for more information on the subject.
The next point that Yahoo wants you to swallow is that, "running is time efficient". This begs the question of exactly what running is more time efficient than? Again, they compare it to walking. This is certainly true, as you will undoubtedly burn more calories running a mile than walking a mile. They also compare it to "The 7 Minute Workout". When it comes to working out, the scientific literature on the subject says that High Intensity / Short Duration is best. But 7 minutes? That might be a wee bit short. The secret to using your workout to lose weight is not the number of calories you are burning while you are working out ---- it is the number of calories you burn at rest (the amount by which you are able to increase your metabolism). For a review of this, please re-read the preceding paragraph.
The third on their list is, "running is convenient". I can buy this. According to the article, running is double convenient because you don't even need shoes (they tout barefoot running). However, is it really more 'convenient' to run than to do simple workouts like THIS? I say not! Click on the link because it defeats one of those old WORKOUT MYTHS I recently dealt with ---- you don't have to go to the gym to get a good workout.
And as for their last point, "the runner's high", are we to believe that running is the only form of exercise that releases "endorphins and morphine-like brain chemicals"? Not on your life! In fact, the authors themselves answer this question by saying that the link to the "runner's high" is not specifically with running, but with any form of, "moderate to intense exercise". All four of their points are busted!
The thing is, look at the source. The article originally appeared in Runner's World, and was actually written by their editors. This is not science. It is feel-good fluffiness. If you want more articles on this topic, you will find them HERE. Oh, and one more thing. For those of you who absolutely love to run --- great. I don't have a problem with it. Just make sure you don't go overboard, and add some simple Strength Training to your regimen. All it takes is 15-20 minutes, two or three times per week.
WHAT ARE ANTIBIOTICS GOOD FOR?
You can go if you want, but the truth is, you are likely to be prescribed something that will actually make you worse ---- Antibiotics. Don't get me wrong, the ANTIBIOTICS you are given today, will probably not make you worse tomorrow (although they could). But once you begin to understand the relationship between the bacteria that live in your intestines, your IMMUNE SYSTEM, and the way that your overall health is intimately related to the HEALTH OF YOUR GUT, you will also begin to understand that those Antibiotics are not doing you any favors for the long haul. Or, for that matter, the short haul. So, unless you feel the problem is threatening life or limb, do yourself a favor and skip the doctor and their drugs. Instead, spend some time on this and other health-related sites educating yourself about the life changes you and your family will need to make to get back on the road to real health. Much of that information can be found in THESE POSTS.
THE GAP BETWEEN MEDICAL RESEARCH
AND MEDICAL PRACTICE
"The Grand Canyon is a roadside ditch compared to the chasm that exists between medical research and medical practice." Dr. Russell Schierling
I frequently go to Functional Medicine seminars. The instructors (most are Functional Neurologists trained by TED CARRICK and DATIS KHARRAZIAN), spend hours --- sometime days ---- putting up scores of studies via their computer projectors for the entire class to see. Although many of these studies are new, many others are not. In fact, some are as many as three or four decades old. The research relates to wide variety of topics, but frequently have to do with important things like AUTOIMMUNTY, GLUTEN SENSITIVITY, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, BLOOD SUGAR, GUT HEALTH, as well as a whole host of other health-related topics.
Because the medical research is absolutely loaded to the brim with studies on these and similar issues, the average doctor could be using this cutting-edge information to blaze away at the underlying causes of disease on full-auto. Instead they all too often continue to shoot blanks by following the status quo --- the pathway picked out for them by Big Pharma. In other words, all to often, the practice of medicine looks nothing like what's found in the research. To put it a different way; why in the world does the medical community continue to treat today's patients so similarly to the way they were treating patients forty years ago, in light of studies like those found in THESE POSTS? If you think I am overstating my case, simply start clicking. In your heart of heart you know that the reason that EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE is not as much about the "evidence" as you've been led to believe, boils down to one thing ---- money.
The really cool thing is that even if your doctor is not really interested in staying current with the most up-to-date, relevant, and cutting-edge health news; because of the internet, you can do it yourself. Knowledge is power, and thanks to medical databases such as PubMed, you have it all at your fingertips. Hopefully this blog can provide a tiny part of the knowledge-base used to empower you to make wise health-related decisions for yourself and your family (HERE).
CONFLICT OF INTEREST?
NOPE --- JUST BUSINESS AS USUAL!
"The pharmaceutical industry has a significant presence during residency training, has gained the overall acceptance of trainees, and appears to influence prescribing behavior." The conclusions of a study called, Interactions Between Pharmaceutical Representatives and Doctors in Training, published in the August issue of the Journal of General Internal Medicine
There's good reason for you to be leery of the phrase, "EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE". These three words comfort people --- tend to make them feel all ooey gooey inside. After all, this phrase indicates the procedures and products being discussed must surely be safe, effective, and based on 'evidence'. Right? Unfortunately, it rarely works that way. I have written numerous articles on the MYTH OF EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE. Unfortunately, if you want the truth, don't follow the so-called evidence. Follow the money! All too often, scientific "evidence" has been bought and paid for by the highest bidder.
Although the numbers are much much higher now, a decade ago, drug companies were spending just under 60 billion dollars to advertise their wares here in America. A major way to influence doctor's prescribing habits has always been to get to them while they are young --- still in school. I'll never forget my brother telling me how many meals he could've eaten out on a drug rep's dime while he was in school. I also remember him telling me about the time that he and a bunch of classmates were taken out to breakfast, and then taken to a go-kart track that had been completely rented out for their group for the rest of the morning. All on the drug rep. Well; it seems like those days are over (sort of).
The Pew Charitable Trust (a not-for-profit organization whose stated mission is to, "improve public policy, inform the public, and stimulate civic life") released a report earlier this week that concluded, "Pharmaceutical sales representatives should not be allowed access to any faculty, students, or trainees in academic medical centers or affiliated entities". Bravo! This should have happened decades ago (and needs to happen inside the halls of congress --- can anyone say 'lobbyist'?). The problem is, Pew hedged their bets by following that up with, "However, faculty may invite pharmaceutical scientists for specific educational or scientific discussions.....". In the immortal words of Dana Carvey's most famous character, "well isn't that special". One more example of more of the same old, same old, wrapped up all pretty for Christmas.
BUSTING THE FITNESS MYTHS
BUYING INTO THESE FITNESS MYTHS WILL DOOM YOU TO FAILURE
But, if you have been reading my blog and are motivated to start making some changes in your life; you could wait until January 1st to do it --- but why? Now is as good a time as any to get started (yes, even those of you who are currently deployed on your annual "HOLIDAY BINGE").
I want you to be successful at this endeavor. But in order for this to happen, you will have to shed some "myths" before you can hope to shed any pounds. While I was sitting watching it snow and ice all day Friday, I created a list of "Fitness / Weight Loss Myths" --- many of which I used to believe myself. Take a few minutes to read these myths as well as their solutions (you'll have to stick around to the bottom of the post for some of these solutions). It's time to stop sabotaging both your health and your workouts! These are in no particular order, coming up as I thought of them. Enjoy, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
- CARDIO IS BETTER THAN STRENGTH FOR WEIGHT LOSS: This is a myth that refuses to die (HERE). No matter how you slice it, this one is false. Really false. Sprints are better for weight loss than long distance running (HERE), and Strength Training is better than sprints. And the thing is, it's not even close. Take just a few minutes to look at the research on the topic for yourself. I feel that this issue is important enough to have written several BLOG POSTS on it. If you like to run, fine ---- but don't get too crazy with it. And make absolutely sure to incorporate interval (sprint) training and Strength Training into your regimen.
- IF I CAN DO ENOUGH SITUPS, IT WILL GET RID OF MY BELLY: Although this is false, it is almost as widely believed as it was when I was in college. By the way, you really shouldn't be doing situps at all --- ever (HERE). Instead, visit THIS PAGE to learn more about the best ways to go about core strengthening. The only way you are ever going to lose the belly fat is to stop eating the foods you already know you shouldn't be eating (and maybe some that you erroneously believe to be healthy). The diet I recommend is found at the bottom of the page.
- I SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GET IN SHAPE: This one is probably true --- if you are doing P90-X or one of the similar programs. Or spending so much time driving to the gym every nite that you are falling asleep on the way home. I am not against either video programs or working out in a gym. But let's be brutally honest with each other for just a moment. Who has the time to work out for an hour to an hour and a half a day ---- especially if you work and / or have a family? The key to working out is "Shorter Duration / Higher Intensity". Stop slogging through your workout, shorten it up significantly, and ratchet up the intensity level. Short, high intensity workouts are one of the beauties of Crossfit and numerous other similar programs. It all goes back to the old adage of MED.
- TROUBLE LOSING WEIGHT? JUST WORK OUT HARDER: A while ago, I had a woman ask me if she should start walking 15 miles a day, since at 12 miles, she had plateaued as far as weight loss was concerned. She was making a big mistake with this way of thinking. The real problem with this approach is the fact that it can lead to weight gain instead of loss by BURNING OUT YOUR ADRENAL GLANDS.
- YOU SHOULD BE TOTALLY EXHAUSTED AFTER A WORKOUT: This sort of goes along with the "No Pain / No Gain" myth that I am not even going to bother to mention today. I debunked this myth in the RHABDO POST from a few months ago.
- YOU SHOULD BE CARB-LOADING AFTER EXERCISE: This is old-school long-distance running kind of stuff. Eating an apple or something similar is great after you workout. If you want to understand why I am not a huge fan of 1980's-like carb-loading, go HERE ---- or just continue on to the next two points.
- VEGETARIAN / VEGAN DIETS ARE GREAT FOR WEIGHT LOSS: This is a great point of contention, even among those who would consider themselves "experts" in the field (HERE is a person saying it's OK as long as you have great Gut Health). Although I am a big fan of eating lots and lots of vegetables / vegetation, I also believe that in the majority of the cases, your results will be compromised without adequate dietary protein (HERE). Oh, and by the way, grain is not considered vegetation (see next bullet). When you feed a beef grass and hay, they get lean. When you feed a beef grain, they gain weight --- rapidly! This does not even take into account the whole GLUTEN thing, which tends to fool people because 60% of the time, their symptoms manifest differently than anyone (medical doctors included) expects --- far differently (HERE).
- SEX IS A GREAT WEIGHT LOSS WORKOUT: As much as I would love to tell you that this one is not only true, but double-dog true; I can't. Although there are a slew of undeniable health benefits to sex, the truth is, sex burns about as many calories per minute as (gulp) walking. And lasts on average (gulp) about 6 minutes. Whether male or female, if you feel like this part of your life is lacking, you may to take a moment and at least scan through the dozen or so posts I've written on this topic (HERE).
- WORKING OUT MAKES YOU HUNGRY: False, false, and false! Sitting around on your duff and watching TV makes you hungry --- for junk! And let's face it, the more junk you eat, the more junk you want ---- IT'S ADDICTIVE! Exercise is probably the greatest natural appetite suppressant there is. Not to mention, as you start to see the changes in your body that your lifestyle modification program is making, it will motivate you that much more stay on the wagon.
- DIET SODA IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO REGULAR SODA IN THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE: Again, false. This one is soooooo false that just the opposite is true. Diet soda will actually make you gain weight (HERE).
- IF I WORK OUT HARD ENOUGH, I CAN CHEAT MY DIET AND STILL LOSE WEIGHT: Way too many people believe this is true --- I used to believe it myself. The reality of the situation is that you can't work out hard enough to overcome a crappy diet. And if you think you are getting away with said diet today, give it a few years. As you BURN YOUR BRAIN and SUGAR REGULATIONS SYSTEMS out, the downhill slide will be brutal and it will be rapid. Case in point, attend a class reunion.
- GETTING IN SHAPE WILL AUTOMATICALLY MAKE ME LOSE WEIGHT: This is not necessarily true --- particularly if you have some sort of underlying CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY ILLNESS, HORMONAL DYSFUNCTION, or ENDOCRINE OR GUT ISSUE. Losing weight might also might not happen if you have a relatively small amount of weight you want to lose. Allow me to explain. Because equal amounts of muscle weigh much more than the same amount of fat, as you get rid of the fat and build muscle, you might actually gain some weight. No big deal. The more muscle mass you carry, the more likely you are to appear "fat" on a BMI CHART, when the reality is just the opposite.
- AS A FEMALE, WON'T I GET BIG AND BULKY IF I LIFT WEIGHTS? Seriously, this is the last thing on the planet that the average woman should be concerned about when it comes to Strength Training. It's difficult enough for a man to get big and bulky from lifting weights --- with about 20 times the amount of testosterone in their body (the male hormone that drives libido in both sexes and builds muscles). No form of exercise will make dramatic changes to the female physique faster than Strength Training. Period --- end of story! But big and bulky.....? No worries. Trust me women; start a SIMPLE STRENGTH TRAINING program (2-3 times a week for 15 minutes or so per session) and watch what happens. You will see more results in six weeks than you would see with a year of jogging.
- ANKLE WEIGHTS ARE A GREAT WAY TO STRENGTHEN YOUR LEGS: Only if you want the experience of blowing out your knees and roaching your low back. Instead, get a weighted vest. This will not only protect your extremities, it will help you ladies protect yourselves from OSTEOPOROSIS as well --- particularly those who like to walk for exercise.
- DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS AUTOMATICALLY GUARANTEES ME SUCCESS AT WEIGHT LOSS: Again, if you have Chronic Illnesses, all bets are off the board. If you fail to deal with the underlying problem first, weight loss will be all but impossible (HERE and HERE are examples of this). By the way, Kettlebells (right) are an amazing weight loss tool. See the next point.
- LOSING WEIGHT RAPIDLY IS NOT ONLY BAD FOR YOU, IT'S JUST ABOUT IMPOSSIBLE: This one is tricky. However, if you do things the right way, it is very possible, and science is actually coming around to this fact (HERE). For instance, HERE is the amazing story of Tracy Reifkind's legitimate hundred pound weight loss in 100 days doing one of my all time favorite exercises a couple times a week --- KETTLEBELL SWINGS.
- I CAN'T GET FIT SINCE I CAN'T AFFORD A GYM MEMBERSHIP: I only thought I had heard everything! It takes little or no equipment to get good workouts (HERE is an interesting page on building your own gym equipment). If you don't want to go that route, you could do like JACK LaLANE did for TV and do all your workouts with nothing but a chair. Gym memberships are great, but not being able to afford one is not a valid excuse for not working out. Go online and search. You will find hundreds of simple exercises you can do in your home without any equipment whatsoever. HERE is a page for those who want to start Strength Training at home with minimal equipment (an exercise ball and cheap set of dumbells).
- WOMEN SHOULD WORKOUT DIFFERENTLY THAN THEIR MALE COUNTERPARTS: Really? Women need to engage in Strength Training ---- probably just as much or more than men. Unfortunately, far too many are spinning their wheels doing too much cardio (and eating way too many Whole Grains). Read CARDIO -VS- STRENGTH to understand why this is true.
- THERE IS ONE PROGRAM THAT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE: Not true.
- AVOID SALT AT ALL COSTS: THIS ONE could have been stuck in among those old standbys in the bullet point below.
- DIETARY FAT MAKES YOU FAT: Could we pleeeaaase get past this one once and for all? This is a myth; pure, plain, and simple (HERE). Like I told you earlier, THIS is what makes you fat. All of this reminds me of the old days ---- you know, when you heard things like, "eggs are bad for you" or "butter is bad for you, eat margarine instead", etc, etc, etc.
- WORKOUTS HAVE TO BE BORING: Where do I start with this one? Check out the Swing Boarding on the left. If you can't find a combination of workouts that are at the very least, tolerable; you are simply looking for excuses not to train.
- WE NEED "CHEAT DAYS" TO LOSE WEIGHT: Really? While CHEAT DAYS can be great for some people, for hardcore sugar and carb addicts, they will throw you into a tailspin every time, rekindling the very cravings that you are trying to get rid of.
- FRUITS AND VEGETABLES ARE THE SAME: If you are really struggling with your weight, you may need to lay off the fruit for awhile --- particularly the fruit that's high on a Glycemic Index. Fruit has the propensity to raise blood sugar far more than vegetables (HERE). This, as you will learn from the following link, causes weight gain. Particularly true in people who are INSULIN RESISTANT / PRE-DIABETIC.
- SOY IS A GREAT FORM OF PROTEIN: Soy is a plant-based (phyto) estrogen. Google "Estrogen Dominance" and you'll see how big of a problem this is for both women and men. If you want to read about the effects of putting excess estrogen in your body, go HERE.
- SPORTS DRINKS ARE HEALTHY: Healthy? Sure; that's how they're marketed. But healthy? I should say not. Most are the SUGAR equivalent of drinking soda --- a known dehydrator. By the way, the same thing could be said of most FRUIT JUICES as well.
- THERE'S THIS NEW SUPPLEMENT THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BURN FAT LIKE A STEEL-MELTING BLAST FURNACE: There's a sucker born every minute. Don't be one of them. The only shortcuts to weight loss and fitness involve ridding your body of excess inflammation. What does that look like? Try THIS on for size!
- BREAKFAST IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY: While I used to think this way, and still believe that for some people it's true, I've definitely changed the way I think about this topic because of what's come out in recent peer review (HERE).
MORE SOLUTIONS TO CHRONIC NECK PAIN
ESTROGEN ESTROGEN ESTROGEN
"Xenoestrogens are chemicals that imitate estrogen. Synthetic xenoestrogens are widely used industrial compounds, such as PCBs, BPA and phthalates [plastics], which have estrogenic effects on living organisms." Wikipedia
"The burden of environmentally induced cancers has been grossly underestimated." The conclusions of the 240 page President's Cancer Panel Report (2010) titled Reducing Cancer Risks; What We can do Now. One of the worst offenders of the all the chemicals that were looked at? Benzene.
We will get to the reasons that this is such a big health concern in a moment, but I want to first talk for a moment about where this flood of estrogen-like chemicals (Xenohormones / Xenoestrogens) is coming from. A simple way to think of this is by likening the relationship between estrogen and xenoestrogen, to the relationship between Gluten and Gluten Cross-reactors. Over the past several decades, GLUTEN (Wheat Protein) has, for a NUMBER OF DIFFERENT REASONS, been technologically altered until it is a very different product than the Gluten our forefathers consumed. Because of this, many people have Immune System reactions to it, and are considered to be "sensitive" to it.
Because your body recognizes various substances according to their molecular shape (example below), foods that have a close enough molecular structure / shape to Gluten will be recognized by certain people's bodies as Gluten ---- even though it is not Gluten. One of the more common of these is coffee. This phenomenon is known as GLUTEN CROSS-REACTIVITY. It's almost like a skeleton key that fits in any number of different locks. Unfortunately, the very same principle can be seen with certain synthetic or petro-chemicals as well --- particularly a chemical called Benzene.
Estrogen is chemical compound made up of six-sided rings. Benzene is a very simple six sided ring. When you look at the two side by side, you can begin to see how the body could be fooled. This is particularly scary considering that Benzene is known to be one of the most toxic, widely used chemicals on the planet. When you smell glue, paint, gasoline, detergent, automobile exhaust, cigarette smoke (50% of America's exposure comes from cigarette smoke), or almost anything else with a chemical or artifical smell (even a pleasant chemical smell), you are likely inhaling Benzene. Benzene has been associated with a wide array of illnesses and cancers, as well as being a known "ENDOCRINE SYSTEM DISRUPTOR". When you 'disrupt' the ENDOCRINE SYSTEM, there can be hell to pay in practically every different system in your body. Remember this when you look at the list below.
ESTROGEN DOMINANCE: WHAT IS IT?
Estrogen Dominance is a term every woman should be familiar with. PMS, infertility, post menopausal symptoms, and breast cancer often relate to Estrogen Dominance. Estrogen Dominance doesn’t mean that a woman is high in estrogen. Rather, it means that the estrogenic effects are stronger than the (counterbalancing) progesterone effects. If we think of the analogy of the body as a car, the estrogen would be the accelerator (stimulant) and the progesterone (calmer) would be the brakes. We could have too little ‘accelerator’ function and still be crashing into cars because our ‘brakes’ are even weaker. Bruce Rind M.D., National Integrated Health Associates
- Accelerated Aging
- ALLERGIES / CHRONIC SINUSITIS and other INFLAMMATORY CONDITIONS
- AUTOIMMUNITY, including THYROID
- Breast Cancer/ Breast Tenderness
- Cervical Cancer
- Chronic Fatigue / Adrenal Fatigue (FIBROMYALGIA) / Brain Fog / Memory Loss
- DIMINISHED LIBIDO
- DEPRESSION / Anxiety/ Rage / Mood Swings
- Early Onset of Puberty (this is truly out of control in numerous countries around the world)
- Endometriosis / Uterine Cancer/ Fibroids
- HEADACHES / MIGRAINES
- BLOOD SUGAR DYSREGULATION problems, including HYPOGLYCEMIA / SUGAR AND CARB ADDICTION
- INFERTILITY / PCOS
- SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE
- Weight Gain --- particularly ABDOMINAL OBESITY / Bloating
- Many Others
DEALING WITH ESTROGEN DOMINANCE NATURALLY
- DON'T HEAT PLASTIC SUBSTANCES, RUBBER, OR CELLOPHANE-LIKE WRAPPERS IN YOUR MICROWAVE OVEN:
- BEWARE OF COMMERCIALLY RAISED MEAT OR POULTRY PRODUCTS:
- USE SOMETHING OTHER THAN "THE PILL":
- BEWARE OF PERFUMES, SCENTS, AND VIRTUALLY ALL BEAUTY PRODUCTS:
- BEWARE OF HOUSEHOLD CLEANING PRODUCTS THAT HAVE "NICE" SMELLS:
- AVOID HERBICIDES AND PESTICIDES:
- AVOID PHTHALATES & METHYL PARABEN:
- KNOW YOUR SUNSCREENS: Five specific chemicals to avoid here include benzophenone-3, homosalate, 4-methyl-benzylidene camphor (4-MBC), octyl-methoxycinnamate and octyl-dimethyl-PABA.
- REMEMBER THAT SUGAR TURNS MEN INTO WOMEN AND WOMEN INTO MEN (HERE)
Let me throw you one more 'bone' in your fight against Xenoestrogens. For decades, soy has been promoted as a this fantastic "health food" --- a "super food" if you will. Unfortunately, this is a complete and total myth. Nothing could be farther from the truth. You should never consume soy unless the soy has been fermented. Why? Because soy is a Phyto-Estrogen (plant-based Estrogen). For more information, you can read Dr. Tim O'Shea's paper called The Magic Bean.
Beyond simple avoidance of Estrogen and Xenoestrogens, there are some other things you can do if you believe you are suffering from Estrogen Dominance. Finding a Functional Medicine practitioner can be helpful, but there are some things you can do for yourself in the meantime. The first thing I would suggest is to follow some GENERIC RECOMMENDATIONS that are true for almost anything that ails you. Now let's tackle some of the recommendations specifically for use by the Estrogen Dominant person.
- STUDY THE ISSUE: As I have always said, knowledge is power. Do not blindly listen to any doctor --- including myself. Several hours of studying this issue on the internet, and you will likely know more about this common problem than your doctor. Speaking of your doctor; don't be surprised if you get a deer-in-the-headlights look or eye-roll if you mention 'Estrogen Dominance' in their presence. There are lots and lots of great websites on this topic. Beware of sites whose sole goal is to sell you something. There are many good sites with information concerning specific foods to add to or remove from your diet, or specific chemical products to really watch out for. After you have studied, sit down and create a written outline of how you are going to tackle your Estrogen Dominance. Wouldn't hurt you to have an accountability partner as well. Odds are, you know several women (and probably some men) with this problem.
- MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING LOTS OF FIBER: When my family juices, I usually eat the pulp on my lunchtime salad. Fiber is critical for dealing with Estrogen Dominance because it binds to the Estrogen and facilitates your ability to excrete it from the body ---- instead of reabsorbing it over and over again. Word of warning here: DO NOT buy into the myth that Whole Grains are a good source of fiber (I personally prefer ground Flax Seeds, although some will tell you to steer clear). If you are dealing with very many of the symptoms of Estrogen Dominance, you can almost assure yourself that you are GLUTEN SENSITIVE as well. This not only means that you are almost surely dairy-sensitive also, but that you are probably AUTOIMMUNE on top of everything else. Again, the PALEO DIET is the best way to deal with this entire scenario.
- DETOX YOUR LIVER: When it comes to Estrogen Dominance, dealing with your liver is critical. This is because your liver is the organ that essentially filters / removes / breaks down excess Estrogen in your body so that you can get rid of it. One of the best resources for learning about liver detox is Dr. Sandra Cabot (MD) of Australia. You can also read a SHORT ARTICLE I wrote on the subject.
- TAKE THE CORRECT SUPPLEMENTS: The link I left you under "Generic" above is going to give you some of the generic supplements you'll need to take for inflammation (the two biggies are PFGO for INFLAMMATION, and PROBIOTICS for GUT HEALTH). However, there is at least one other supplement that I would highly recommend taking specifically for Estrogen Dominance. Vitex / Chaste Tree is one of the best and most popular supplements for this problem, although there are a slew of others; all different from each other depending on who you read. The truth is, the supplements are not nearly as important as is your diet.
- RELAXATION TECHNIQUES AND DEEP BREATHING: Exercise will get you breathing hard. However, once you read the next section on Breast Cancer, you will see why good breathing habits / PROPER OXYGENATION are absolutely critical for properly dealing with Estrogen Dominance.
TREATING YOUR PROBLEM WITH
NATURAL PROGESTERONE CREAMS?
WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING
Did you notice the last bullet point on the first list above? It is 'Weight Gain'. Let me tell you why this presents such a dilemma when it comes to Estrogen Dominance. Not only does estrogen cause weight gain via an increase in fatty tissue (this is why beef farmers give "hormones" to their cattle), but the real bite-in-the-hind end that few people talk about is the fact that fat cells, right along with the ovaries, actually manufacture ---- correct again ----- estrogen.
ESTROGEN AND BREAST CANCER
There is an overwhelming amount of information on Breast Cancer online. The truth is, if you want to make yourself an expert on the subject (if you are at risk, you should), there is so much information online that you could never possibly wade through it all. I am going to keep this section brief by spending only two or three paragraphs talking about the Estrogen / Breast Cancer link.
Because the majority (over 3/4) of Breast Cancers in America are fueled by Estrogen), your lifetime exposure to Estrogen, whether natural, synthetic, or pseudo (Xenoestrogens) play a huge part in determining whether or not you will get Breast Cancer over the course of your lifetime --- or whether or not you will relapse after taking the "cure". This is why women take drugs like Tamoxifen and Femara to "block" Estrogen for several years after successful treatment of their CANCER.
All Cancers, including cancer of the breast, tend to develop in similar fashion. Firstly, the body becomes oxygen deprived, toxic, and acidic --- usually due to a poor diet. The breast tends to act as a magnet for Cancer because of the close proximity of glandular tissue (the milk glands are highly responsive to estrogen) to fat cells (fat cells tend to accumulate toxins). As the cells in the glandular tissue of the breast struggle to survive in this increasingly acidic and poorly oxygenated environment, they begin to mutate. This allows them to produce energy from SUGAR (fermentation), instead of using oxygen. The whole process continues to feed itself as well as increasing the rate of cell replication (already a problem in Cancer --- read the articles in the link from the preceding paragraph on "Sugar Feeds Cancer").
Although I do not claim for one moment to be any sort of expert on Cancer, I do know that the vast majority of disease processes START IN SIMILAR FASHION. Who would I trust to take care of me if I had Cancer? That's an easy one to answer. One of the most brilliant minds on the subject is Dr. Kevin Connors of Minneapolis, Minnesota. He is on the cutting edge of Functional Neurology / Functional Medicine. Hopefully you will never need his expertise in this area.
TAXPAYER FUNDED JUNK FOOD
GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA?
“There’s a basic question of dignity and freedom here. Poverty is undignified. It’s not that SNAP beneficiaries are eating a lot more chips than the rest of us. We all eat too many chips in this country.” The Yale-educated David Beckmann (Rev.), president of the Washington DC-based Bread for the World, taken from the December 2, 2012 issue of Bloomberg News
For most taxpaying Americans, the answer to the question raised in the title seems like a no-brainer. It's a question that I addressed SEVERAL MONTHS AGO, as this issue keeps coming up for debate in congress. Part of the problem though is with OBESITY being such a health catastrophe here in the US; funding any kind of junk food with taxpayer dollars is the equivalent of another subsidy for the Junk Food Industry ---- not to mention both Big Pharma and the medical community.
This is a situation where if it really wanted to, the Federal Government could step in and solve this problem with little fanfare. But they won't. In similar fashion to the WIC Program (Women, Infants, and Children), there needs to be some strict limits on what folks can buy on another's dime. How about vegetables? Whole chickens would be a good choice as well? Beans and eggs would also fall into this category. These are what my generation or older would refer to as "dietary staples". Candy, junk food, and heavily processed foods? I fail to see the logic. In fact, I think that keeping any and all forms of junk food in SNAP is an impossible position to defend. But that's exactly what Dr. Beckmann and numerous other have attempted to do.
I have heard of poor arguments before, but Beckmann's argument --- an argument widely held by many other governmental decision-makers --- takes the cake (literally). It is ridiculous for taxpayers to end up footing the bill for other people's JUNK FOOD HABITS simply because it would create a 'stigma' for those who use SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program ---- the new name for the old "Food Stamp" program). Sorry, but being able to put absolutely anything one wishes into a shopping cart and then whip out their government-authorized "Credit Card" to pay for it all is not a constitutionally-protected right. Our country is not only broke, we are approaching 20 trillion in the hole. Furthermore, medical costs are at an all-time high, with BLOOD SUGAR / OBESITY-DRIVEN DISEASES leading the charge.
Should we be surprised that the same politicians who have been cuddling up with lobbyists from the junk food, processed food, and soda industries, have been on the receiving end of 10 million lobbying dollars this year alone? That is how desperately these industries are at keeping their products in the SNAP Program. Must be why the USDA (they administer SNAP) recently blocked attempts by both Minnesota and New York to prevent those on SNAP from purchasing soda or candy. The USDA's official response to their blocking the block? Doing so would, "perpetuate the myth that participants do not make wise food purchasing choices." That's it? Are you joking me? This is political correctness and cronyism run amok!
But hey, what can you expect from politicians who have created programs to buy people cell phones and computers? The cold truth is that WASTE is easy when it's other people's money. This is why socialism / communism never work. Dr. Beckmann is correct about one thing --- this is not simply a SNAP issue. As a nation, we are making terrible food choices. But this cycle has to stop somewhere. Email your congressman about this issue.
ANOTHER INSTANCE OF
Overdiagnosis is an expected part of any screening program..... Part of a recent statement by the American College of Radiology (ACR)
Numerous diagnostic tests, particularly those involving ADVANCED DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING, produce false positive results. This is one reason that the old "ANNUAL PHYSICAL" has gone the way of the typewriter and the dodo bird -- way too many false positives ("False Positives" are tests that show you have something wrong with you, when, in fact, you do not). The latest of these studies involves CANCER ---- most particularity Lung Cancer.
A recent study at Duke University Medical Center showed that nearly 1 in 5 cases of Lung Cancer, the CT Scan picked up slow-growing tumors that would not have affected the patient in their lifetime. When questioned about this rate of what is known is the business as "OVERDIAGNOSIS & OVERTREATMENT", the spokespersons for various physicians groups said that these rates were about what they would expect. In other words, this is a common problem.
The Duke Study, published in the most recent issue of JAMA Internal Medicine concluded that, "These overdiagnosis cases represent an important potential harm of screening because they incur additional cost, anxiety, and morbidity associated with cancer treatment". Good idea to be aware of this information if you are ever diagnosed with cancer or are a smoker. By the way, smokers in the "High Risk" category are being advised to have an annual CT.
IS CHRONIC PAIN DESTROYING YOUR LIFE?
DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
"Chronic pain has turned my life into a living hell." An all-too-common theme of far too many of the patients who come to see me from all over.
Besides providing you with mountains of great information, I love using my website to showcase the results that occur EVERY DAY in my clinic. What I do works. No, of course it DOESN'T WORK FOR EVERYONE. But for those struggling with specific kinds of Chronic Pain (HERE is one such example), it can at times be almost miraculous. And who else tells you up front that you will know in just one treatment if it's going to help or not (HERE)? Case in point is the testimonial I received last evening.
You see; after a great deal of debate as to whether to make the 8 hour trip to see yet another doctor, "Joe" (not his real name ---- he works, I believe, with healthcare providers who might not appreciate his candidness in testimonial form) traveled to be seen for a problem he had suffered with (and I do mean "suffered" with) for over a decade. Joe's story was typical. He was leery to come see me because in his mind, he had tried everything else there was to try. He had been through the usual array of tests, doctors, specialists, more tests, drugs, and even recommendations for surgery ---- a classic example of the MEDICAL MERRY GO ROUND. As is typical, some of the doctors had even told him the pain was all in his head (that's doctor code for "honestly, I have no idea what's really wrong with you ---- your insurance coverage has run out ---- find someone else to bother").
Joe's pain started out on his left side, but had progressed until it was now in his abdominal area, running down into his left buttocks, and running up to his left shoulder. The SCAR TISSUE that was actually causing his pain was in his side and abdomen, with numerous other areas of Scar Tissue present --- probably due to a decade of compensation.
The cool thing was, Joe was essentially out of pain within the first 20 minutes of treatment. Was Joe thrilled? More than his email below can convey. Thanks for the testimonial Joe. I wish you, your lovely wife, and your children the best! You can now have that normal family life back that you so desperately wanted. I promise you that lives will be changed as the result of the words that you emailed me.
A DAY-BRIGHTENER FOR THOSE OF YOU
SOCKED IN BY THE BLIZZARD
TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHETHER YOUR BUTT PAIN / SCIATICA IS DISC OR PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME?
TRY THIS SIMPLE HOME TEST
My guess is that you may have already read my posts on PIRIFORMIS OR DISC? and PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME OR SCIATICA?. Today I would like to provide you with a simple test that you can do at home to help you answer the question proposed in the title of this post ---- is your pain due to PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME or is it due to DISC HERNIATION(S)? If you are planning on traveling to see me, this is an important question to attempt to answer beforehand ---- particularly in light of OVERUSED MRI'S and ASYMPTOMATIC DISC HERNIATIONS. Although both of the problems in the diagrams above can cause leg pain (SCIATICA), as you can see, that leg pain is arising from very different anatomical regions.
- PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME: The picture on the right is of a right buttock. The Sciatic Nerve (yellow) can be seen emerging from underneath the Piriformis Muscle (red) through a little window called "The Sciatic Notch" (see arrow). When the Sciatic Nerve is pinched or irritated in the vicinity of the Piriformis Muscle, the result is typically buttock pain or paresthesias (numbness, tingling, or other 'odd' sensations) that radiates down the leg in a fairly unpredictable pattern. Due to the fact that anomalies of the Piriformis / Sciatic region are so common (Sciatic Nerves can travel around or even through the Piriformis Muscle in a wide variety of ways), you will need to prod around several areas on the buttocks to make sure that you are getting the correct spot.
- DISC HERNIATION: The animation on the left is of a disc herniation that is pressing on a nerve root. Because all of the nerve roots from your lower back region grow together into one large nerve (the Sciatic Nerve), the pain is not only typically found locally --- at the site of the Herniation ---- but it has the ability to travel into the leg in similar fashion to Piriformis Syndrome (you can begin to see why these can be so difficult to differentiate from one another). Just be aware that this Disc-based Sciatica has the ability to manifest in numerous ways. Neither is it terribly uncommon for people to have Disc-based Sciatica without having local pain in their back.
TESTING THE PIRIFORMIS AGAINST THE DISC
(As you should gather from the bullet points above, this method is in no ways fool-proof.)
One way to try and determine whether or not your problem is Piriformis Syndrome or Disc Herniation is to firmly probe both areas (if you are not firm, you may not elicit a pain response). In most cases of Piriformis Syndrome, I can reproduce the buttock pain / Sciatica, simply by sticking a thumb into the region at or around the end of the arrow (see diagram above right). Mind you, this will need to be done with firmness. Now we move up to the lumbar spine (2-4 inches above the top of the butt crack) and firmly press a thumb into this region as well (you are probably going to have to have a spouse or friend do this for you --- it will be all but impossible for you to press firmly enough on your own backside).
If you cannot elicit Sciatica or low back pain by pressing firmly in and around the lumbar spine, and you can cause buttock pain and / or Sciatica by pressing firmly into the buttock area, your problem is more likely to be Piriformis Syndrome. If, on the other hand, you firmly press into the low back and elicit local pain and Sciatica, your problem is more likely to be Disc-related. This simple test is not fool-proof by any means. Furthermore, it will not provide the sought after information unless the person doing the test really presses in with some firmness.
Also, when some degree of slipped disc is present, there will usually be some very specific signs. Although these are not always in and of themselves linked to disc, when they are seen together, your chances that your problem is disc-related are certainly greater. They are AS FOLLOWS.
One other tidbit I might mention along these lines has to do with INVERSION THERAPY. First, let me say that although I do not sell the tables, I am a huge fan as there is tremendous potential for helping the low back pain and sciatica caused by a disc issue. However, it is important to be aware that in my experience, most of the time it tends to aggravate Piriformis Syndrome.
BUTT PAIN OR PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME?
DOES IT REALLY MATTER?
I get dozens of emails a week that go something like this: "Dear Doctor Schierling, I have this pain in my butt. Do you think I might have Piriformis Syndrome? I am willing to travel from ________ (insert your city or country here) if you are confident that you can help me. Maybe I can help. Unfortunately, that's not a lot to go on. The truth is, long-distance diagnosis of anything is difficult. But trying to diagnose Piriformis Syndrome from an email is usually next to impossible. And trying to predict whether or not you will respond to treatment ahead of time.........? That's even harder still.
You see; even if you do have PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME, it is no guarantee that what I do will help you. If Piriformis Syndrome were a simple diagnosis to make, with a simple fix, you would not be reading this post and debating whether or not to travel to the Ozark Mountains of rural Missouri. But back to the question I raised in the title, "Butt Pain or Piriformis Syndrome?".
This question sort of reminds me of one that I answered a couple of years back; is it "PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME OR SCIATICA?". The question at hand, "is it Piriformis Syndrome or just plain old butt pain", is all but impossible for me to answer --- even if I have you in front of me and am able to examine you. If the average Neurologist / Orthopedic Surgeon can't tell you what it is, what makes you think that I can do better?
The thing is; I'm not sure if answering this question really matters. I mean; how important is it that I am able to exactly diagnose it as Piriformis Syndrome (Butt Pain has many DIFFERENT CAUSES). By the time that someone who is coming from long-distance to see me gets here, they have tried just about everything there is to try. They have been through all the tests to rule out things like CANCER or DISC HERNIATION. They have tried the INJECTIONS. They have been on all sorts of HARDCORE PAIN MEDS. They have gone through lots of therapy / Chiropractic. They have probably even contemplated some sort of surgery! Allow me to make a suggestion.
Call the problem whatever you want, I help a lot of people with butt pain --- whether it is 'officially' diagnosed as Piriformis Syndrome or not. Can I help your particular case? Who knows? Although I weed out lots of people that I know up front that I cannot help via EMAIL CONSULTATION / HISTORIES and / or phone calls, it is impossible to know whether someone with Piriformis Syndrome will get better or not until I actually treat them. I hate that this is the best I have to offer. I wish I could give you some sort of grantee. But really; who else is offering you any degree of real HOPE in just one visit?
HOW COMMON IS PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME?
MORE COMMON THAN
YOU EVER DREAMED!
About 5 million of the 26 million Americans who suffer from low back pain each year have piriformis syndrome..... Even though your back is flawless, the piriformis muscle in the buttock may tighten, go into spasm and entrap the sciatic nerve, causing the same symptoms and misery that come with herniated disks. Those who compile statistics declare that piriformis syndrome may account for as much as 50 percent of the pain that strikes in the backside and radiates down the back of the leg. Dr. Loren Fishman (MD) writing for the April 11, 2011 issue of the Huffington Post on the topic of Piriformis Syndrome
Back in April, doctors Kean and Nizar (Anesthesiologists) from Malaysia's Sarawak General Hospital in Kuching, published a study in Pain Practice saying that when they ran a F.A.I.R. Test (increased H-reflex latency with modified flexion, adduction, and internal rotation on EMG), on patients with low back pain / sciatica. They found that over 17% tested positive. This was their only criteria for arriving at the diagnosis of PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME. The conclusions of their study said, "Piriformis syndrome is a painful condition that is often overlooked in the differential diagnosis of chronic buttock or low back pain." I would have to concur.
Study after study says that Piriformis Syndrome is both difficult to diagnose. This is surely why I would characterize it as under-diagnosed ---- way under-diagnosed. You'll begin to understand why, once you understand the criteria for reaching the diagnosis. Listen to what Wikipedia says about the subject, "The diagnosis of Piriformis Syndrome is largely clinical [i.e. tests do such a poor job of showing it, your doctor will have to recognize it via patient signs and symptoms] and is one of exclusion. Diagnostic modalities such as CT, MRI, ultrasound, and EMG are mostly useful in excluding other conditions [namely disc]." However, this presents its own unique problem that I wrote on recently. In at least 50% of the lumbar MRI's that show a DISC HERNIATION, you have to assume it is "Asymptomatic" (the disc is not where the pain is coming from). This is why it is so difficult to read too much into positive MRI findings for discs because of the absurdly high incidence of these ASYMPTOMATIC DISC BULGES.
None of this is news to those who have actually been diagnosed with Piriformsis Syndrome. If you have not yet been diagnosed, you are likely still in the process of researching ---- and being run through every diagnostic test imaginable --- many more than once ---- and probably not finding many answers. Yet despite several studies showing an almost 100% effectiveness of CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS for solving this misunderstood and potentially debilitating problem, I have not seen results anywhere near that in my practice. Maybe that's because I don't see the medical community's Piriformis success stories. Then again; maybe it's because when it comes to Medical Research, it's difficult to know who to trust (HERE, HERE, and HERE are examples).
If you are suffering from symptoms that look like Piriformis Syndrome, you might want to consider a trip to Mountain View, Missouri. I have been successfully treating people with Piriformis Syndrome for nearly 15 years. For more information on Piriformis Syndrome, you can go HERE or HERE.
CHRONIC NECK PAIN
JUST ANOTHER DAY IN THE OFFICE
You see, Fascial Adhesions can create CHRONIC PAIN'S PERFECT STORM. Think about it this way for a moment. Scar Tissue is up to 1,000 times more pain-sensitive than normal tissue. Now throw in the fact that in all three of these cases below, the problem was in the Fascia ---- a tissue that is arguably the single most pain-sensitive tissue in the body. Now add into the mix another one of 'Medicine's' dirty little secrets ---- Fascia is so thin that it cannot be imaged --- even with advanced imaging techniques such as MRI. And through it all, the various doctors you have seen have looked at you with a blank stare, probably treating you like a "drug-seeker" or telling you it's all in your head.
Before I saw Deana for the first time yesterday morning, she had been on a 'contractual' program to see a chiropractor twice a week for a year. It had not helped either her pain or the range of motion in her neck. Judi was in an MVA when I was 2 years old (1969). She thought that her post-accident neck pain was bad until that day 15 years ago when a tire fell off a trailer, hit her in the head, and knocked her out cold. She described to me years of living each and every day of her life at a miserable '9' on a pain scale of 1 - 10. In fact, she told me that since her "tire incident" she has been through therapy 5 different times ---- well over 100 total visits --- with nothing to show for it (she said that it may have made her worse). Cara had been dealing with Chronic Neck Pain for a couple of years. Her MOM finally convinced her to come in and see me.
Tracy shot all of these videos before lunch time yesterday. Hopefully we will get a video of the gentleman who came from north of Jefferson City to see me yesterday afternoon for long-standing HIP / PIRIFORMIS PAIN. Hey; it's just another day in the life.
CHRONIC SEVERE NECK PAIN
CHRONIC NECK PAIN SOLUTION
CHRONIC NECK PAIN SOLUTION
THE MYTH OF
"FAT BUT FIT"
"Kramer and colleagues conclude that being metabolically unhealthy at any weight confers health risks, and that normal weight does not necessarily indicate cardio-metabolic health. These findings cast doubt on the existence of metabolically healthy obesity..... Our results do not support this concept of 'benign obesity' and demonstrate that there is no 'healthy' pattern of obesity" From an editorial and study that were both published in the December 3 issue of Annals of Internal Medicine, "Are Metabolically Healthy Overweight and Obesity Benign Conditions?: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis"
If you Google, "Fat but Fit" you'll get over 27,000,000 (that's 27 million) hits. Many, if not most of these articles talk about research that shows, "it's not how much you weigh, but how healthy you are". And believe it or not, there are even those who, like I showed you above, say that carrying excess pounds is actually healthier than being normal weight. New research is throwing water on this crazy idea. But before we delve deeper into this topic, I think we need to address what large numbers of people in the medical community have been referring to as Metabolically Healthy Obesity or MHO for short (not to be confused with Metabolically Obese, Normal Weight --- MONW --- aka "Skinny Fat").
Brand new scientific research from The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, and The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism shed some light on this particular topic. Although no one has come up with any sort of "official" designation, some of the factors that seemed to best characterize MHO are.....
- BELLY FAT or lack thereof
- INSULIN RESISTANCE or lack thereof (people in the MHO category had four times the rate of Diabetes of those of normal weight.)
- The presence or absence of INFLAMMATION
- One's level of PHYSICAL FITNESS
Despite what many experts have told us for the past number of years, it looks like the jig is up. Some of this may be due to the NEW GUIDELINES ON OBESITY. However, most of it is likely due to a recent spate of studies showing that excess non-lean body mass is a risk factor for early death, no matter the circumstances. In fact, Salynn Boyles wrote earlier this week in MedPage Today that, "Metabolically healthy, obese people were found to have a long-term increased risk for death and cardiovascular events compared with their normal-weight counterparts, suggesting there is no such thing as benign obesity. Metabolically healthy obese people have a long-term increased risk for death and cardiovascular events compared with their normal-weight counterparts, suggesting there is no such thing as benign obesity."
Dr Caroline Kramer (M.D. / Ph.D) of Mount Siani Hospital in Toronto Canada is the person who actually performed the above-mentioned research. Mind you, she did not do any new research. She simply re-analyzed 8 of the biggest studies ever done on this topic, this time accounting for several variables (her systematic review and meta-analysis involved over 60,000 people). A same-issue editorial from researchers at the University of Colorado carried an identical message. "Obesity is taking a toll on the health and well-being of Americans. Accepting that no level of obesity is healthy is an important step toward deciding how best to use our resources and our political will to develop and implement strategies to combat the obesity epidemic." Just understand that none of these "POLITICAL RESOURCES" (HERE also) have been shown to be worth a flip at reversing, or for that matter, even preventing OBESITY.
JUST A FEW OF THE MANY HEALTH PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH OBESITY
- Nearly 400,000 Americans per year die as the direct result of complications associated with being overweight.
- Obesity is associated with all sorts of Cardiovascular Risks including CHOLESTEROL ISSUES and TYPE II DIABETES. "In 1990 about 11 million Americans had type-2 (adult onset) diabetes, a disease of insulin resistance that commonly coexists with obesity. Just nine years later the number was 16 million, or about 6 percent of all Americans. Then, from 1999 to 2003, we saw a 41-percent increase in diagnosed diabetes" Jeff Schweitzer from his Huffington Post article called The Dangerous Myth of 'Fat but Fit'.
- Obesity causes CANCER.
- SLEEP APNEA is more common in obese people.
- HORMONAL PROBLEMS are more common in the obese as well
- Each increase two pound increase in weight, increases your chances of developing DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS by about 10 percent.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration