HALF THE ADULT AMERICAN POPULATION HAVE DISC HERNIATIONS WITHOUT LOW BACK PAIN
THE GUT-BRAIN-MICROBIOTA AXIS
WHERE THE RUBBER MEETS THE ROAD!
What you have to do is figure out how big a wrench it's going to take to jam the gears and stop this vicious cycle. Remember, drugs might change your symptoms, but they never stop the cycle. What I would like to do right now is take a quick look at some of the studies that show this cycle, and how this dysfunction all works together in unison (I chose these particular studies because if you are interested, you can look them up and read them in their entirety). The point of doing this?
For those of you who are deep into these and other similar disease processes, you need to realize there is hope (stick around and I'll prove it to you). One critical fact you must grasp before we begin is that it is not as likely as you have been led to believe that your children will be condemned to the same fate as you simply because of their genetics. Why not? Science has given genetics way too much importance as far as the development of most diseases is concerned. What do I mean by this? If you don't understand the difference between genetics and epigenetics as related to chronic inflammatory degenerative illnesses and autoimmune diseases, it is imperative that you take five minutes to read THIS POST on the topic. Also, if you are not sure what INFLAMMATION is (hint; it's not swelling or infection), don't bother continuing because it won't make sense.
- PARKINSON'S DISEASE: Listen to the conclusions from a two year old issue of the World Journal of Gastroenterology (Brain-Gut-Microbiota Axis in Parkinson's Disease). Make sure to look for all five entities mentioned in the cycle above (BTW, this is quoted word-for-word). "Parkinson’s disease (PD) is characterized by alpha-synucleinopathy that affects all levels of the brain-gut axis including the central, autonomic, and enteric nervous systems. Recently, it has been recognized that the brain-gut axis interactions are significantly modulated by the gut microbiota via immunological, neuroendocrine, and direct neural mechanisms. Dysregulation of the brain-gut-microbiota axis in PD may be associated with gastrointestinal manifestations frequently preceding motor symptoms, as well as with the pathogenesis of PD itself, supporting the hypothesis that the pathological process is spread from the gut to the brain. Excessive stimulation of the innate immune system resulting from gut dysbiosis and/or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and increased intestinal permeability may induce systemic inflammation, while activation of enteric neurons and enteric glial cells may contribute to the initiation of alpha-synuclein misfolding." Why am I at least somewhat concerned about this nasty creature named by doctor Parkinson? I undoubtedly carry the gene (HERE). And for those who are not sure what GLIAL CELLS are (you'll see them come up time and time again), just click the link.
- NEUROPSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS: This collaboration (Gut-Microbiota-Brain Axis and Effect on Neuropsychiatric Disorders with Suspected Immune Dysregulation) between Greek and American scientists / physicians was published in HHS Public Access, and is one of the most amazing put-it-all-together studies I have yet to see on this topic. "Brain function and psychological make-up are now increasingly considered to have a reciprocal relationship with the gut. Disruption of the gut microbiota (dysbiosis) is known to contribute, among others, to the pathogenesis of GI diseases, and reported to directly induce inflammation and pain. Accumulating evidence suggests that the gut microbiota maintain bidirectional interactions with critical parts of the central nervous system (CNS) and the immune system through direct and indirect pathways. These involve the endocrine (hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis), immune (chemokines, cytokines), autonomic nervous system (ANS), and enteric nervous systems forming the microbiota-gut-brain axis. Antibiotics, environmental and infectious agents, intestinal neurotransmitters / , sensory vagal fibers, cytokines, essential metabolites, all convey information about the intestinal state to the CNS. Such interactions appear to influence the pathogenesis of a number of disorders in which inflammation is implicated such as mood disorder, autism-spectrum disorders (ASDs), attention-deficit hypersensitivity disorder (ADHD), multiple sclerosis (MS) and obesity (Obesity has been called a psychiatric disease) and is associated with depression and other neuropsychiatric disorders). Neuro/immune-active substances derived from the intestinal lumen can penetrate the gut mucosa, be transported by blood, cross the blood-brain-barrier (BBB) and affect the CNS. Acute stress increased GI and BBB permeability. Moreover, chronic stress disrupted the intestinal barrier and permitted penetration of luminal antigens, microflora metabolites, toxins and lipopolysaccharide (LPS) into the systemic circulation and the CNS." Did you notice that all five aspects of the cycle were present in full-blown Technicolor and Dolby Surround Sound?
- MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: So, in light of everything that I've shown you, should we be even bat an eye when articles like STAT'S Gut Germs Play Role in Multiple Sclerosis, are published? No way! While it's certainly good to know (I've discussed this link at least twice before --- HERE and HERE), the real question remains; what are you doing about this since your doctor isn't doing much of anything other than prescribing more drugs? In the first of two brand new studies, both from last month's issue of PNAS, researchers compared the MICROBIOMES of 71 people with MS and 71 without MS. What they found was that "specific bacterial taxa were significantly associated with MS" (dysbiosis). But interestingly enough, they also found that there was a certain strain of bacteria that was "reduced in MS patients." Because the researchers believed this bacteria was associated with antiinflammatory properties, they introduced feces from the MS group into mice that had been genetically raised to be "germ free". The result was mice with fewer TREGS (T-suppressor cells that dampen immune system responses as to prevent autoimmunity) and fewer antiinflammatory cytokines, leaving them with symptoms of MS ("experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis"). In the second study, the authors took identical twins, where one had MS and the other did not. They noticed that when they transplanted feces of the MS twin into mice that had been genetically raised to express "spontaneous brain autoimmunity," those mice were much more likely to develop an "MS-like autoimmune disease." I need to note to you; one major difference in MS patients is that they tend to have low sympathetic function (as opposed to high), which often results in heart, bladder, and bowel issues. By the way, I found studies over two decades old (Digestive Diseases and Sciences --- Multiple Sclerosis Patients Have Increased Intestinal Permeability) that showed this link via their title. The moral of this story is NEVER underestimate the importance of GUT HEALTH in dealing with chronic conditions!
- CHRONIC "LEARNED" PAIN: This two year old study was done at St. Louis' Washington University and published for the International Anesthesia Research Society (Identification and Treatment of New Inflammatory Triggers for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and Obstructive Sleep Apnea). "Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), formally known as reflex sympathetic dystrophy, is a neuropathic pain disorder that may fail to respond to current therapy... There is a known relationship of CRPS and the gastrointestinal tract. Dysbiosis (alterations of the microbiome) and increased intestinal permeability (which is present in SIBO) have been reported in CRPS, and these two conditions also cause chronic systemic inflammation. IBS is common in CRPS although the relationship has hitherto not been elucidated. In multiple studies, SIBO was found to be present in up to 50% of IBS-d patients." IBS and IBD are both known to be autoimmune, while SIBO is typically the result of a sensitivity to FODMAP-CONTAINING carbohydrates. And as you might imagine from its old name (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy), the sympathetic side of the ANS is hyped to the max in those with CRPS.
- INTENSE EXERCISE: Just ten short months ago, the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition published a study called Exercise-Induced Stress Behavior, Gut-Microbiota-Brain Axis and Diet: A Systematic Review for Athletes. The European authors concluded that "The demands during intense exercise can initiate a stress response activating the sympathetic-adrenomedullary and hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axes, resulting in the release of stress and catabolic hormones [these break your body down], inflammatory cytokines and microbial molecules. The gut is home to trillions of microorganisms that have fundamental roles in many aspects of human biology, including metabolism, endocrine, neuronal and immune function. The gut microbiome and its influence on host behavior, intestinal barrier and immune function are believed to be a critical aspect of the brain-gut axis. Recent evidence in murine models shows that there is a high correlation between physical and emotional stress during exercise and changes in gastrointestinal microbiota composition. Diet is known to dramatically modulate the composition of the gut microbiota. Due to the considerable complexity of stress responses in elite athletes (from leaky gut to increased catabolism and depression), defining standard diet regimes is difficult." There are the five; together again for what hopefully turns out to only be a 'limited engagement'.
So, what are you supposed to do if you have these or other inflammatory, degenerative, or autoimmune disease? The first thing you must is learn everything you can about it you can and make yourself an expert. Thanks to the internet; some diligent study on your particular condition (use PubMed or other databases of medical studies, as well as message boards), and a large percentage of you will be as knowledgeable as your doctor(s) on your particular issue. Face it; the gap between the cool stuff coming out of medical research (the stuff I showed you today) and the standard fare of CRAPPY DRUGS or WORTHLESS TESTS you get at your doctor visits makes the Grand Canyon look like the tiny ditch in your front yard. Be willing to step out of the box just a bit and watch what happens!
Secondly, using said information, sit down and create yourself a top-to-bottom EXIT STRATEGY. Although you may have to modify your plan along the way for any number of different reasons (including new information coming available) purpose in your heart to stick with it and work it as though your life depends on it --- because it probably does. Fortunately, I have created an extremely generic template for making this happen (HERE). For many of you, this is all you'll need. For the rest, there are people out there versed in FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGY and FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE that can likely help. One last thing. If you are chronically ill, DO NOT go to sleep tonight without learning the basics of one of the hottest topics in the medical research field right now --- FECAL MICROBIOTA TRANSPLANTS.
NEW STUDY TALKS ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN DIETARY CARBS, DIETARY FATS, CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE, AND DEATHRead Now
NEW STUDY TAKES ON THE FAT -VS- CARBS DEBATE AS RELATED TO DISEASE & DEATH
"The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." From President John F. Kennedy's Commencement Address at Yale University, June of 1962
The Lancet has long been considered one of the most prestigious medical journals in the world (established in 1823, it also happens to be one of the oldest). In light of the direction the journal has taken over the past several years, I was surprised to see their latest issue carrying a massive study called Associations of Fats and Carbohydrate Intake with Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality in 18 Countries from Five Continents (PURE): A Prospective Cohort Study.
Over 40 authors from universities and labs around the world crunched a decade's worth of data from the dietary intake questionnaires of over 135,000 people (both males and females between the ages of 35 and 70) from five continents, looking chiefly at ratios of carbs to fats to protein as related to....
- Fatal Cardiovascular Disease
- Fatality From All Causes
- Non-Fatal Heart Attacks
- Congestive Heart Failure
Before we look at their conclusions, I want to share some history on this topic. To do that, I am going to take you back to 1988; the year I finished at Kansas State University (Nutrition / Exercise Physiology) and started the CHIROPRACTIC PROGRAM at Logan University. Because I remember years by music or sporting events (HERE), here are a few songs that were playing on the radio back then to help your mind drift back in time three decades.
| || || |
By 1992, the USDA had put out their now infamous Food Pyramid. While the idea of using diagrams to simplify the process of helping people make smart dietary decisions was nothing new, the Food Pyramid (picture below) attempted to simplify things even further, and was nothing if not simple. The Pyramid's insinuation was that since it was fat that made you fat as well as being the causal factor behind just about any disease process you cared to mention, you could eat as much of the bottom row (grains) as you wanted. The problems is, as a person who grew up on a Kansas beef farm, I can tell you exactly what happens to cattle if you feed them unlimited quantities of grain. And unfortunately, it's no different for people.
Furthermore, we were told to use fats and oils "sparingly". Again, the insinuation was that since dietary fat was the cause of our collective health problems, the less you could eat the healthier you would be, with many touting novel ways to eat totally "Fat Free". Interestingly enough, in the pre-WW II dietary recommendations, the government was already touting FORTIFIED MARGARINE as a healthy alternative / equivalent to butter (any time you see the word "fortified," run far and run fast because it means that any real nutrition has been removed and replaced with SYNTHETIC NUTRITION, usually for the express purpose of increasing shelf-life). Who invented this pyramid that has wreaked so much havoc on American health, leaving in it's wake a path of disease and death?
The original recommendations of up to 4 servings of grain a day was replaced with up to 11 servings (GULP!). And that's not all, the final pyramid even had a picture of saltine crackers --- something for years touted as a "healthy snack" on the AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION'S sample diet and dietary recommendations (I used to keep a copy in the office but am not sure what happened to it). I am cherry-picking her article here (for the record, realize that the primary aim of the USDA has nothing to do with safety or health, but instead to promote US agriculture in America and around the world).
"When our version of the Food Guide came back to us revised, we were shocked... As I later discovered, the wholesale changes made to the guide by the Office of the Secretary of Agriculture were calculated to win the acceptance of the food industry. For instance, the Ag Secretary’s office altered wording to emphasize processed foods over fresh and whole foods. Where we, the USDA nutritionists, called for a base of 5-9 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables a day, it was replaced with a paltry 2-3 servings. Our recommendation of 3-4 daily servings of whole-grain breads and cereals was changed to a whopping 6-11 servings forming the base of the Food Pyramid as a concession to the processed wheat and corn industries. Moreover, my nutritionist group had placed baked goods made with white flour — including crackers, sweets and other low-nutrient foods laden with sugars and fats — at the peak of the pyramid, recommending that they be eaten sparingly. To our alarm, in the “revised” Food Guide, they were now made part of the Pyramid’s base."
Unfortunately, having been fed the "eat-all-the-carbs-you-want-it's-fat-that-makes-you-fat" message from professor after professor, I bought in, even though looking back, I had more than enough knowledge of physiology to have known better. Stupid me; I didn't question what I was being taught (I am actually BEATING MYSELF right now like Edward Norton in Fight Club). Fast forward eight years to 1996. I saw a picture of myself in shorts and a T-shirt and realized I was starting to put on some pounds and it freaked me out a bit because I had always been thin (mirrors will lie to you in ways that photographs will not).
I got my hands on Atkins' original book (1971), and not too long after that started attending seminars by Dr. Janet Lang. Needless to say, except for the occasional "CHEAT" (yes, I have been on more than one carb-induced "bender"), I've been trying to follow a LOW CARB, WHOLE FOOD, NO-GRAIN, PALEO, and at times even a high fat (KETOGENIC) approach ever since. And although I would certainly not call myself "shredded" like I was back in 1988, I feel good, and by the grace of God have managed to stay strong and healthy. But since this sort of evidence is anecdotal (BTW, I am not necessarily against ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE), let's take a look at what the PURE study had to say about diet and disease as related to the Fats -vs- Carbs -vs- Protein debate.
- THIS TOPIC IS CONTROVERSIAL: Heck yes it is! Other than maybe politics or religion, it's about as controversial a topic as you can find. In fact, I'm not sure of anything that researchers agree on less than nutrition (maybe everyone can agree that TRANS FATS CAUSE HEART DISEASE?). The authors also mentioned some of the highly confounded studies that our current dietary guidelines are based on (can anyone say Ancel Keys?). Stick around for three more minutes to see what I am talking about.
- THE ORGANIZATIONS THAT FUNDED THIS STUDY HAD NO PART IN DESIGN OR CARRYING IT OUT: How big is this today? In light of the vomit-trough we ironically refer to as "EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE," it's absolutely huge! and for those of you who believe that just because a government entity does / checks the study (for instance, THE FDA) that this automatically makes it "unbiased," have I got a deal for you. You see, there's this bridge in Brooklyn.....
- MOST OF THE DATA THAT CURRENT GOVERNMENTAL RECOMMENDATIONS COME FROM IS FROM WESTERNIZED NATIONS WHERE OVER-CONSUMPTION IS THE NORM: This is particularly true of the United States, where overeating has become a national past time. Be sure to tune in next week because I am working on a post that shows the metabolic / physiological consequences of overeating (the problems that go beyond blood sugar and obesity), as well as what happens to health and lifespan when people decide to eat less.
- HIGHER INTAKE OF CARBS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A HIGHER OVERALL DEATH RATE: Since this higher mortality rate was not associated with either cardiovascular disease or dying of cardiovascular disease, there are two diseases that immediately come to mind --- diabetes and cancer. While most people realize that diabetes is the end result of living the HIGH CARB LIFESTYLE (functional doctors would argue the same thing is true of PRE-DIABETES as well), most people do not realize that this is even more true of cancer (HERE), which has taken over the number one spot as far as American mortality rates are concerned. This is interesting considering that the picture I used at the top of this post came straight from our own government's NIC (National Institutes of Cancer), touting dinner rolls (whole grains) as a dietary cancer-preventative. Oh, higher carb intake was also associated with high BP, higher triglycerides, and lower levels of the so-called "good cholesterol" (HDL), as well as a screwed up Apiloprotein B to A1 ratio; which according to NUMEROUS STUDIES, is possibly the single best predictor of having an Adverse Cardiovascular Event. "ApoB-to-ApoA1 ratio is the strongest lipid predictor of myocardial infarction and ischaemic strokes."
- TOTAL PROTEIN WAS INVERSELY ASSOCIATED WITH TOTAL MORTALITY RISK: This study showed that animal protein was associated with a diminished risk of all-cause mortality, while interestingly enough, plant protein was not.
- THE TYPE OF FAT YOU EAT REALLY DOES MATTER: This should not be too surprising to most of you (see my earlier Trans Fats link). Even though we see the AHA continuing to beat their "anti-saturated fat" drum, that bus left town a long time ago. "Higher saturated fat intake was associated with lower risk of stroke. Total fat, saturated fat, and unsaturated fats were not significantly associated with risk of myocardial infarction or cardiovascular disease mortality." I give you a better picture of this principle in THIS POST on Fatty Acid Metabolism. These authors also noted that replacing carbs with saturated fats decreased strokes by 20%, also revealing that LDL levels (the so-called "bad" cholesterol) were not an accurate predictor of cardiovascular disease or death rates.
- WE NEED TO RETHINK OUR CURRENT DIETARY GUIDELINES: The study ended with the authors saying, "dietary guidelines should be reconsidered." The thing is folks, we don't need to reinvent the wheel --- these guidelines are already out there (HERE they are from a post I wrote three years ago). The very simplest guidelines for eating an ANTIINFLAMMATORY DIET come from Functional Neurologist, Dr. David Seaman --- "eat vegetation or animals that ate vegetation".
Ah, there it is folks --- "selective emphasis". This is simply another way of letting us know that INVISIBLE & ABANDONED research is alive and well, and as real as a proverbial heart attack. I cherry-pick what I give you simply because as much as I may want to, I can't share it all. Read between the lines and you'll see that these authors are (much too gently) accusing authors of similar studies, both recent and in the past, of cherry-picking. Why? As Dr. Light showed us, it's the same reason it always is; the money.
If you are wanting to turn your life around, lose weight, lessen your body's inflammatory burden, decrease your pain, and start addressing root physiological causes of disease processes (remember that drugs don't usually do this well -- HERE), I've created a GENERIC TEMPLATE for you to take a look at. No; it's not going to solve everyone's problem(s). Some of you may end up needing medical intervention or testing by a specialist in functional medicine. Or then again, your problem might be related to your fascia --- HERE. But how can you go wrong simply living a healthier lifestyle and eating healthier foods (HERE)? HERE is a crazy testimonial from a person that used these ideas to lose 100 lbs in seven months, and get off her meds for five (5) autoimmune diseases.
GETTING RID OF THE RESEARCH
INVISIBLE & ABANDONED STUDIES ARE A HUGE PROBLEM
"A major aim of trial registration is to help identify and deter the selective reporting of outcomes based on the results. However, it is unclear whether registration improves the reporting of primary outcomes in publications."
I suppose that this would be a good time for me to brag a bit. Did you guys know that I was the world record holder for consecutively-made free throws (HERE)? Not to completely toot my own horn, but I've made over 43,000 free throws in a row; without a single miss. At least not misses that I count. You see, I've taken the same approach to my basketball game that BIG PHARMA has taken with their research. In my world misses don't count. This is the same premise that allows Invisible & Abandoned research to continue and thrive.
When researchers, most of whom are funded by industry (or by an institution that's being funded by industry), come up with findings that make their employer's products or services look bad --- or at least not look good --- they frequently halt the study midstream, figure out a different way to set up the study, and try again. In the meantime, said study gets buried so deep in the basement file cabinets that it will likely never see the light of day.
There are literally hundreds of different tricks that scientists can use to skew data and arrive at results that will keep the money flowing and keep everyone happy (except, of course, the unsuspecting public). I've talked about many of these tricks in my EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE POSTS. Listen to some of the cherry-picked tidbits that came from today's study.
- The authors accused industry of, "selective reporting of outcomes based on the results."
- Clinical trials were "often unregistered".
- Clinical trials were "often unpublished".
- Results of clinical trials were "often discrepant" (differing; disagreeing; inconsistent).
- Only 61% of the studies looked at were registered and only 57% were actually published.
- Primary outcomes being looked at were frequently changed or altered midstream. This allowed researchers to totally cherry-pick their results -- I am loosely quoting here ("outcomes being omitted, downgraded, or reported, but not specified as primary in the protocol").
- Primary outcomes were not defined 20% of the time.
- Discrepancies between the primary goals of the registry and the outcome were seen 23% of the time (this is like throwing a dart at the wall and then painting your target so that the dart is in the center of the bullseye).
- Discrepancies between the protocol and publication were seen in unregistered studies 55% of the time.
- "Intentional suppression from disclosure."
Oh, and just to let you know; even though this study was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, it was done in Finland. Trust me when I tell you that this particular scenario is worse here in America than it is in Finland. Much of this has to do with the incestuous (financial) relationships between the FDA and Big Pharma (HERE). The point, besides the fact that we know drugs are dangerous whether pushed or prescribed (HERE or HERE), is in the final paragraph.
When it comes to drugs or procedures, you must be cautious about trusting what you read or hear as far as research goes. My favorite example of this has to do with antidepressants. After concerned scientists used Sunshine Laws and the RIAT Act (Restore Invisible and Abandoned Trials) to force drug manufactures to allow them to look at millions of pages of data from dozens of I&A studies on antidepressants, they determined that this class of drug carries virtually no benefit. And especially not the kind of benefit that's been widely touted by industry (HERE and HERE). Hmmmmm; I can't say that I'm surprised. I think I'll go shoot some more free throws!
FLU SHOTS LINKED TO MISCARRIAGES
"Spontaneous abortion was associated with influenza vaccination in the preceding 28 days. The association was significant only among women vaccinated in the previous influenza season."
There are several things I find intriguing about this study. The first thing you must realize is that even MAINSTREAM MEDICAL DOCTORS are starting to holler about the fact that our nation's flu vaccination policies are a scam. Despite what the government tells you, theses shots are not much more than 0% effective (see above link). On top of that, we know that if you got a shot last year, the efficacy of your shot this year will be significantly worse (HERE). And number three, despite the study's lead author saying there's no explanation for this, why would we be surprised for even for one second that intentionally putting toxic elements into the bodies of pregnant women (ALUMINUM, MERCURY, MSG, and God only knows what else), wouldn't result in higher levels of spontaneous abortion?
For Pete's sake, doctors themselves advise women to avoid virtually all drugs while pregnant. But we are supposed to believe that the toxic milieu found in most vaccines doesn't count or matter? It amazes me how many studies there are linking environmental pollution and toxicity to things like AUTISM and spontaneous abortion, yet we are repeatedly told that flu shots are safe for expecting mothers. And all this to attempt to prevent a "disease" that's essentially a bad cold. We have lost our collective minds! You bet we have.
An article from the University of Minnesota's CIDRAP (Study Signals Association Between Flu Vaccine, Miscarriage) quoted the study's author as saying, "There's no biological basis for this phenomenon." Really? Let's look at the conclusion of Neil Miller's well-bibbed study (Infant Mortality Rates Regressed Against Number of Vaccine Doses Routinely Given: Is There A Biochemical or Synergistic Toxicity?) in this month's issue of Human & Experimental Toxicology back in 2011. The author's conclusions?
"The US childhood immunization schedule requires 26 vaccine doses for infants aged less than 1 year, the most in the world, yet 33 nations have better IMRs. Using linear regression, the immunization schedules of these 34 nations were examined and a correlation coefficient of 0.70 (p < 0.0001) was found between IMRs and the number of vaccine doses routinely given to infants [this is a crazy high CC]. When nations were grouped into five different vaccine dose ranges (12–14, 15–17, 18–20, 21–23, and 24–26), 98.3% of the total variance in IMR was explained by the unweighted linear regression model. These findings demonstrate a counter-intuitive relationship: nations that require more vaccine doses tend to have higher infant mortality rates."
If you are as old as I am (HERE), you'll realize that it was not that long ago that pregnant women were warned against any drugs or vaccinations. If this topic interests you, you might want to read DR. DAVID MIHALOVIC'S 2011 article called Study Shows Influenza Vaccines Cause Spontaneous Abortions and Stillbirths. What you have to remember is that any time statistics from the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) is used in a study, beware.
Mountains of research (HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE) have repeatedly shown that AE's ('adverse events') are only reported to the proper authorities about 1% of the time. Is it any wonder that FEMALE HEALTHCARE WORKERS are declining their flu shots in droves? That is until GOVERNMENT-MANDATES (your congressmen / women were probably successfully lobbied by BIG PHARMA) forced these vaccinations on healthcare workers (HERE). Not surprisingly, the CIDMAP article ended with the lead authors of the study making what amounts to an insincere and cheesy-sounding plea to pregnant women --- "this study in no way suggests reversing or revising the CDC's recommendations pertaining to pregnant women and flu shots."
If you want to see all the posts I've written, not only on Flu Shots, but on VACCINES IN GENERAL, as well as vaccines as related to autism, just click the links in this post. You might not agree with me, but once you realize the sorts of chicanery going on in the biomedical research community (code word: "EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE"), I won't be surprised if you change your mind. Just make sure to spend some time studying this issue using materials and studies not created by people wanting to force this stuff on you and your family for financial gain! And in response to the title of Helen Braswell's quote from the top of the page; don't worry Helen, they'll quickly figure out a way to redo the study to get the results they want. Just remember that the VACCINE INDUSTRY always figures out how to tip the scales in their favor.
WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THAT YOUR DOCTOR VISITS MIGHT NOT BE NECESSARY?
What's my opinion of the results of this study? Firstly, in light of what we know from decades of previous research, their figure of one third is low. For example, when the giant actuarial firm ROBERTSON & MILIMAN was hired by the United States government to determine how many surgical procedures were unnecessary, the figure they came up with back in 1995 was about 6 of 10. Trust me when I tell you that things have not improved much since then. In fact, it's possible they're worse.
Furthermore, when we look at what the "best evidence" actually says concerning our current EVIDENCE-BASED GUIDELINES for various testing procedures, treatments, physical examinations, blood work, mammograms, female annuals, etc, etc, etc, what we find is that according to peer review, we are not even in the ball park as far as a practice based on evidence is concerned (see link).
The dirty little secret of Overdiagnosis & Overtreatment is that while the testing procedures mentioned in the previous link can sometimes lead to early detection of certain diseases that saves some people; in about the same number of cases, early detection ends up killing them via overtreatment. In other words, health issues (many pertaining to CANCER) that are slow-growing or even dormant, and would never present a problem in the average person's natural life-span can be awakened / provoked / stimulated, leading to the equivalent number of deaths on the back end as lives that were saved on the front end. It's just that the front end of this scenario is heroic sounding and plays well in people's minds, as well as in the media. To better understand what I mean, take a look at the EBG link in the previous paragraph.
Another proof of overtreatment has to do with a brand new 80 page study by Alan Krueger of Princeton called Where Have All the Workers Gone? An Inquiry into the Decline of the U.S. Labor Force Participation Rate. Krueger begins his paper by saying, "The labor force participation rate in the U.S. has declined since 2007 primarily because of population aging and ongoing trends that preceded the Great Recession." With approximately 7 million young American men that could be working but are not, I'm frankly interested in what these ongoing trends are. Listen to what Dr. K says.
"Labor-force participation has fallen more in areas where relatively more opioid pain medication is prescribed, causing the problem of depressed labor-force participation and the opioid crisis to become intertwined."
Just how big is this "intertwining" as related to OPIOIDS? An extremely similar 2016 study by Dr. Kreuger showed that about half of all "prime-age" working males that have dropped out of the work force are addicted to opiods (for the record, the only Westernized country with a higher rate of "non-participation" of young, healthy, males in the work force is the PIGS nation; Italy). Who is prescribing these opiods? Certainly not me. If you want to see how freaky this problem really is in your county (my county is the tall one in the center of southern Missouri that borders Arkansas --- as you can see, things are bad here concerning addiction to prescription pills), just take a peek at Fred Dews' How the Opioid Epidemic has Affected the U.S. Labor Force, County-by-County, writing in an issue of last week's issue of Brookings --- the official publication of Princeton's Brookings Institute.
I've written scores of posts showing why it's tenuous accepting our biomedical community's research findings as fact ("EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE"). What do I like instead? For almost six years I have been doing (when I'm not too busy) VIDEO TESTIMONIALS. While it's not exactly peer-review, I'm not sure there's better "proof," that what I'm doing clinically works; and some of these probably pertain to the very same problem(s) you yourself have been dealing with.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration