COMMON SHOULDER PROBLEMS
(PART III) BEATING DEPRESSION NATURALLY
HOW TO BEAT MOST CASES OF
DEPRESSION WITHOUT SSRI MEDICATIONS!
SSRI's first appeared in 1988 with the release of Elli Lilly's PROZAC. By 2005, sales of SSRI's had rocketed Antidepressants into the stratosphere of drug sales --- number one on the "Best Selling Categories of Drugs" chart. But do you really think it's possible that such a huge percentage of Americans have the kind of organic brain dysfunction that requires an SSRI? I would hope that I have already proved to you that this is not the case --- not by a long shot.
The problem is that prescribing drugs is easy. Way too easy. It's just plain easier to write prescriptions while shooing patients out the door than it is to educate them, and insist on some potentially difficult lifestyle changes. This would mean that doctors would actually have to confront their patients, and even risk losing them to another doctor who will prescribe them whatever they want. Most physicians are not willing to do this; particularly when writing a prescription for Prozac, Paxil, Lexipro, or any of dozens of other SSRI's is so darn easy ---- and profitable.
But the truth is, if you want to have any chance of defeating DEPRESSION naturally ---- without drugs ---- you will have to buckle down and make some changes in the way you live. Some of these are relatively easy (getting outside in the sunshine more often, or having more sex). Some are more difficult and may involve making some radical changes in your lifestyle (eating differently, exercising). It really boils down to what you want out of life. Effectively dealing with most cases of Depression is really no different than dealing with most other health issues. Your doctor cannot do it for you. It is completely up to you. Many of you have already figured this out the hard way. For those of you who have not figured this out yet; I know what you're thinking.
You are just itching to learn about these special secrets and anti-depressive supplements that only I have ---- natural products that will "cure" you of your Depression. The first thing you must understand is that it does not work that way. There are no shortcuts or "Wonder Products" that are going to effectively deal with all the underlying issues working to cause (or at least contribute to) your Depression. To understand this (and to gain the foundational knowledge it will take to kick Depression's butt), you need to go back a couple weeks and read HOW TO CURE JUST ABOUT ANYTHING. Don't argue with me. Just read it. You'll see. Once you have some foundational truths under your belt, we can proceed.
Just understand is that although some of my suggestions are not easy to implement, they are simple to understand. There are things that you can do to help deal with Depression naturally and avoid all the crazy SIDE EFFECTS that go along with SSRI Antidepressants, but it's not as easy as simply taking a pill ---- even if the pill is "natural". If you understand a little bit about how the body works, you will begin to understand where I am going with this. And although there are a whole host of things that you can do to deal with Depression naturally, I am only going to cover the basics. Be aware that the last thing I cover will be the most important for most of you.
KICKING DEPRESSION NATURALLY
TIME TO GET HAPPY
- PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE FISH OIL: According to the most current medical research on the topic, Joe Average American (or "Jolene" as the case probably is --- Depression is far more common in females) is getting about 1 / 30th (that's one thirtieth) of the amount of Omega Three Fatty Acids they need. Lack of Omega 3's is a big driver of Inflammatory Processes in your body, and most diseases are known to be intimately related to these Immune System chemicals we collectively refer to as INFLAMMATION. The two active ingredients in Omega Three Oils are called EPA and DHA. Unfortunately, many of the good sources of Omega Three Fatty Acids (Flax Seed Oil for instance) contain negligible amounts of these two oils. This is why your sources of Omega Threes must come from wild game (venison for instance) grass-fed beef, free-range chickens / eggs, or wild, cold-water fish. When grain is introduced as animal feed (yes, unfortunately most salmon is farm-raised), the amount of Omega Three Fatty Acids these foods drops precipitously. Enter PGFO. PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE FISH OIL is being used by the most cutting-edge portion of the medical community to treat not only a whole host of common killers (DIABETES, Heart Disease, CANCER, etc) they are using it to effectively help people suffering with a whole host of BRAIN-RELATED DYSFUNCTIONS as well. Some of these include ADD / ADHD, Schizophrenia, Bi-Polar Disorder, OCD, and yes, Depression ---- the very things that most people are prescribed SSRI's for in the first place.
- CLEAN UP YOUR DIET: This is nothing more than common sense. If we go back to our grade school days, we all remember the simple slogan, "You are what You Eat!". Although it is a cliche, it is as true now as it was then. But be honest; has your doctor ever said one thing to you about the relationship between the foods that you eat, your overall health, and / or your moods? Of course not. You were prescribed more drugs! A simple rule of thumb is that there are two kinds of foods --- foods made by man and foods created by God. Avoid the former and eat only the later (HERE). Just be aware that sometimes in our society, the line between the two can become really blurred. One of these is wheat, which we will discuss in a moment.
- AVOID SUGAR & HIGH GLYCEMIC INDEX CARBS: Avoiding SUGAR goes right along with cleaning up your diet. My most popular Blog Post ever pertains to this subject. If you have not read it, you really need to take just a moment and see why the scientific community is coming around to the fact that in the Westernized world, uncontrolled blood sugar is the number one root cause of more health problems than any other single thing on the planet. Along these lines, if Depression is an issue for you, it is important to stay away from alcohol which is itself a depressant. Conversely, for many people, sugar provides an emotional lift / high. The problem is the crash that comes shortly afterwards --- it makes people crave that sugar high. Do you see the potential for a vicious cycle here? It is only one of the reasons that sugar is as addictive as "crack" for a lot of people ---- particularly women (HERE). Just be aware that many people will tell you that carbs are a great booster of both Serotonin and mood. There is more to this than meets the eye (HERE).
- LAUGH AND HAVE FUN: Some of you seriously need to stop being so serious. Laugh! Have some fun. A great "Depression-Buster" is the old "Mr. Bean" series (like where he gets the Christmas Turkey stuck on his head (HERE); or the time when he drives his little yellow car from an Easy Chair tied to the roof (HERE). Not only are there lots of studies about the physical / emotional benefits of laughter, there are plenty of Bible Passages as well (A merry heart doeth good like a medicine).
- GET REGULAR EXERCISE: The web is flooded with studies from Harvard, Duke, and other prestigious research institutions showing that exercise has major Antidepressant qualities. Just understand that to receive these benefits, your exercise program will have to be "regular". "Regular" exercise does not imply that you have to become a power lifter, be training for a marathon, or doing an hour and a half of P-90X per day. It simply means that you have to be deliberate about doing some exercise every day (HERE is my favorite). Besides increasing several of the body's "feel-good" chemicals such as endorphins ('endogenous-morphine'), exercise also drives OXYGEN into the brain (no other tissue uses more Oxygen per capita). And while I am talking about exercise, it is as good a time as any to mention sex. SEX releases the same anti-depressive chemical mediators as does exercise.
- DEAL WITH CHRONIC PAIN: I do not know anyone who has not at least made the attempt to deal with their CHRONIC PAIN. In fact, most people struggling with CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES have already tried everything they know to try. They have been through every conceivable test, and seen every specialist there is to see. And just what do we know about the relationship between Chronic Pain and Depression? According to the September 2004 issue of the Harvard Mental Health Letter, "pain is depressing, and depression causes and intensifies pain. People with chronic pain have three times the average risk of developing psychiatric symptoms — usually mood or anxiety disorders — and depressed patients have three times the average risk of developing chronic pain." Although I do not claim to be an expert on the subject, I have been treating Chronic Pain patients since 1991. I can assure you that Chronic Pain is far more likely to cause Depression than the other way around. On top of that, there are better ways to deal with Chronic Pain than taking drugs. If you want an idea of what I am talking about, just take a minute or two to watch a couple of our PATIENT TESTIMONIAL VIDEOS.
- SPECIFIC SUPPLEMENTS: I already mentioned Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil and will talk about another critical supplement at the end of the post. However, there are several supplements that are potentially quite effective for dealing with Depression. Some of the most common are St. Johns Wort, 5-HTP (a precursor to Serotonin), and SAM-e. WARNING: Supplements are no substitute for a clean, healthy diet! Let me say that again in a different way. I know people who want to eat whatever they want, and then take nutritional supplements in hopes that this will help "balance things out". It doesn't work that way. And if you'll be honest with yourself; you already knew that.
- GET SOME SUN & FRESH AIR: We live in a society where people either worship the sun, or they avoid it like the plague. Do not be afraid of getting outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine. Those of you who spend winters in cold or dark climates can use a lightbox. No I don't know. Just look online.
- GET PLENTY OF SLEEP: This can be a particularly difficult challenge with Depression. Your main sleep hormone, Melatonin, is actually made from Serotonin. Although Melatonin is a popular "natural" sleep aid, I usually advise people not to take it as a supplement. Healing the gut will help boost Serotonin production back to normal. Then you can watch Melatonin levels improve on their own. The result is usually much better sleep.
- AVOID EXCESSIVE SCREEN & TV TIME: Because the average American is watching something like 5-8 hours of TV a day, it is hard to know what one would consider "excessive". Although there are all sorts of studies linking TV viewing (particularly "late nite" TV viewing) with Depression, the one that caught my eye was published in a 2009 issue of the medical journal, Archives of General Psychology. Researchers from the University of Pittsburgh and Harvard Medical School teamed up to look at the screen habits of teenagers. They concluded that once you get past something like 2 1/2 hours a day, each additional hour of TV boosted the odds of becoming depressed by 8%. Numerous other studies have shown similar things --- not to mention the fact that TV viewing has been shown to dramatically increase hunger, diminish personal contentment, and decrease happiness.
- SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND: Yes, even though the idiots at Yahoo wrote an article yesterday saying, "there's good reason to think science will ultimately arrive at a complete understanding of the universe that leaves no grounds for God whatsoever," I for one am not buying it. The truth of the matter is that there are a bundle of studies from the medical-scientific field showing the benefits of regular prayer and a relationship with God as far as Depression is concerned. Go online and read them.
GUT HEALTH AND GLUTEN SENSITIVITY
What are some of the ways that we destroy our guts? Besides our poor diets, most of us are exposed to a wide variety of chemical toxins, including all sorts of VACCINES, from the time we are infants. On top of that, the average person living in America has been through dozens of rounds of ANTIBIOTICS over the course of their lifetime. And if you remember one thing about antibiotics, you must remember that they do not strengthen the Immune System ---- they weaken and destroy it (HERE)! Despite anything you may think about this statement, it is a cold, hard, medical fact.
You can combat this Antibiotic-induced destruction of the Gut's Immune System with Probiotics. Think of HSO PROBIOTICS as the exact opposite of antibiotics. If antibiotics destroy the Immune System & Gut, HSO Probiotics help restore them. But unless you are eating quantum amounts of homemade fermented foods (pasteurization and chemical processing are designed to kill bacteria in commercial foods), you simply cannot get enough good bacteria in your food sources to restore them from diet alone. Probiotics must be taken! Acidophilus is the most common product product used for this. The problem is, it is only made up of a single strain of bacteria --- acidophilus (this is why for some people, FMT might be the only viable solution). HERE is more information on this topic.
Now, I want you to recall the FIRST PART of this series (I warned you that there would be a quiz). Where is 90 - 95% of your body's "Happy Hormone" Serotonin produced? In the GUT! Due to antibiotic use / overuse / abuse, and unbridled SUGAR CONSUMPTION (sugar and high Glycemic Index starches are the food-of-choice for the bad bacteria, fungus' and yeasts we collectively refer to as DYSBIOSIS), we are destroying our Guts, and thus destroying our health. When it comes to the good bacteria that should make up our normal Gut Flora ----- we are "Running on Empty". And when you realize that 80% of your Immune System and 90-95% of your Serotonin-making capacity come from the Gut, you should begin to grasp just how critical this issue of Gut health really is (HERE)! And for many people (83% of all Americans carry the gene(s)), nothing is more toxic to gut health than Gluten.
I hear it all the time ---- "Jesus ate Gluten --- why can't I?". The wheat that Jesus ate is not the same wheat that people are eating today (HERE). There is a reason for the incredible growth of the Gluten Free section of the supermarket. People are beginning to learn the truth about Gluten. The recent explosion of Gluten Sensitivity is nothing less than the results of our genetic tinkering coming home to roost. I just heard about a yet-to-be-published Australian study saying that today's wheat contains 6 proteins in it that did not exist 20 years ago. This may not sound like a big deal, but these unrecognized proteins are labeled as "foreign" and then attacked by your Immune System. And the crazy thing is, once people start making antibodies to Gluten, they frequently start making antibodies to self. That's right; Gluten is being intimately related to the way that many people's bodies start to attack its own tissues, glands, and organs. This process is called AUTOIMMUNITY, and if you need an example, look no farther than America's THYROID EPIDEMIC. The vast majority of our thirty-plus million thyroid patients have Autoimmune Hypothyroidism that the medical community calls Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and almost 100% of them are Gluten Sensitive (HERE and HERE)!
You can begin to see why with every passing day I am increasingly convinced that for most Americans, Gluten is toxic. And even worse, it's neuro-toxic. A 2005 issue of the medical journal Gastroenterology stated that, "Celiac Disease [wheat sensitivity that is seen in the Small Intestine] has long been associated with neurologic and psychological disorders including ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, epilepsy, dementia, and depression." Did you catch that? Gluten is linked not only to things like NEUROPATHY, but to Depression. But forget about Depression for just a minute. It is being linked to a whole host of other neurological problems that are arguably much more severe.
This past weekend, I attended another one of Dr. Datis Kharazzian's courses on the Brain-Gut-Immune-Endocrine System. We were shown, using the most current research available from the Bio-Medical research journals, that even though we refer to Gluten Sensitivity in the Small Intestine as "Celiac Disease", we should be referring to Gluten Sensitivity in the Brain and Neurological System as "PARKINSON'S DISEASE". "MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS". "Cerebellar Ataxia (chronic equilibrium issues)". "ALS". "EPILEPSY" "FIBROMYALGIA". Do you grasp how big this is? The most current medical research on the planet is saying that numerous Nuero-Endocrine problems (including Depression) are the result of Gluten-induced Gut Dysfunctions. Gulp!
By far, the most prominent / common of these "Gut Dysfunctions" is something known as LEAKY GUT SYNDROME. The medical journals are now touting Gluten Sensitivity as the #1 driver of Leaky Gut. However, just 15 short years ago, the medical community debated whether Leaky Gut Syndrome even existed. Now there are almost 10,000 medical studies on the subject. Just remember that if you research this topic online, you should be aware that the medical community refers to Leaky Gut Syndrome as "Increased Intestinal Permeability". Fortunately, I have made understanding GLUTEN fairly easy. Just search my blog and start reading.
Do not even think about going GLUTEN FREE without having a basic understanding of what GLUTEN CROSS-REACTIVITY is first. Yeah, I know. This stuff is nutty. It's crazy. In fact, much of it is downright scary --- especially if you have children or grandchildren! But here is the really cool thing about the suggestions found in today's post. If you follow them, you will not only dramatically affect most cases of Depression, you will dramatically affect almost every other health problem you happen to be dealing with as well. In other words, if you follow the steps I lay out in this blog series, your overall health will improve ---- probably dramatically! And thanks to a man who is arguably the most brilliant Immunologist on the planet (Dr. Aristo Vojdani of Cyrex Labs), there are now very accurate blood tests for the three things mentioned (Leaky Gut, Gluten Sensitivity, Gluten Cross Reactivity). The tests not only tell you if you if you have a problem, it will tell you on a scale of one to ten just how bad that problem is.
Hopefully you realize that the protocol I gave you, is suspiciously similar to the posts filed under HOW TO CURE JUST ABOUT ANYTHING. This is because the foundational principles of natural healing are the same universally. No, this does not mean that this protocol will fix every case of Depression (or anything else for that matter). The truth is, you may need some very specific testing & intervention to deal with the underlying causes of your health issues, including your Depression. However, the basic building blocks used to start the healing process are the same for virtually everyone. They're universal no matter what is wrong with you. So, take a few minutes today to sit down, write out a very specific plan of action, and get started (if you don't write it out, you won't follow through). You have everything to gain and nothing to lose!
BEATING DEPRESSION NATURALLY
THE SIDE EFFECTS OF SSRI ANTIDEPRESSANTS
- An Inability to Enjoy Activities which are Normally Enjoyable (hobbies, friends, social life, etc)
- Indifference / Emotional Suppression
- Sleep Disorders. Can be Insomnia or Drowsiness (sometimes both, and frequently severe). Insomnia is much more common (HERE).
- Nausea, Vomiting & Diarrhea
- Headaches (extremely common)
- Ringing in the Ears
- Dizziness / Vertigo
- Clenching the Jaw
- Increased Risk of Fractures / Increased Risk of Any Injury
- Urinary Retention and other Bladder / Kidney Issues (Believe it or not, I have actually seen young children given these drugs in hopes that this specific side-effect would somehow prevent bed-wetting. Simply astounding in light of the last thing on the list.)
- Exhaustion / Fatigue
- Changes in Appetite Causing Weight Loss or More Commonly, Weight Gain
- Numbness, Tingling, or other Various "Odd Sensations"
- Tremors --- Particularly in the Elderly
- Inability to Sit Still
- Increased Sweating
- Strange Dreams / Nightmares
- Anxiety, Depression, & Panic Attacks (Hey; aren't these the very reasons someone would take these drugs in the first place?)
- A wide variety of Psychotic Disorders (And when I say "wide variety", I mean "WIDE VARIETY"! Some of these are downright scary / freaky!)
- Detachment, Confusion, Memory Loss, Amnesia
- Sexual Dysfunctions (Depending on which study you look at, these occur in between 25% and 50% of the individuals on SSRI's and include DIMINISHED SEX DRIVE, Inability to Orgasm, Decreased Libido, Loss of Genital Sensation, and Erectile Dysfunction. The last two are so common that SSRI's are the drug of choice for treating Premature Ejaculation. Be aware that there is also something called Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction that is not only associated with these Sexual Dysfunctions, but with numerous far more serious sexual side effects as well. Many experts say that because some of these sexual problems are so "bizarre", they are dramatically UNDER-REPORTED and actually occur in over 50% of those who took SSRI's (according to the last link, maybe way more). One such example is recurrent spontaneous orgasms (men or women) that are so relentless they are associated with pain instead of pleasure.)
- Dramatic increases of Hostility, Suicidal Thoughts, and Suicides in Children
THE CONCEPT OF WIDESPREAD USE OF ANTI-DEPRESSION DRUGS IS NOTHING NEW
What's behind this explosion of Depression and mood-enhancing drugs? We'll get to what's causing much of the Depression tomorrow. As for what's causing the explosion of Antidepressant Medications? It's a no-brainer. Just follow the money! Instead of educating people about the best ways to deal with underlying issues (both physical and psychological) it is far too easy (and profitable) for doctors to give their patients drugs ---- put them on SSRI's. Of the three hundred plus billion dollars spent on medications in America each year, Antidepressants come in as the number one or two moneymaker depending on whose research you look at. But are they effective?
One of the biggest studies on the therapeutic effects of SSRI's was done by a group of Medical Doctors, Psychiatrists and Psychologists working through the University of Pennsylvania, and published in a 2009 issue of JAMA --- Journal of the American Medical Association. The interesting thing is that their work was not a single study, but a meta-analysis of several major studies on the effectiveness of SSRI's. Their conclusions? "There is little evidence that they [SSRI's] have a specific pharmacological effect relative to placebo for patients with less severe depression.... The magnitude of benefit of antidepressant medication compared with placebo..... may be minimal or nonexistent, on average, in patients with mild or moderate symptoms." Whoa! In other words, we are loading entire segments of our population up on expensive drugs that do not even work well, yet have a whole array of potentially serious side effects? Sure we are! That's how it works in a system that even most doctors will admit is run by Big Pharma. This is why EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE is such a pipe-dream!
SSRI DISCONTINUATION SYNDROME
With most drugs used to change the way you feel (alcohol, heroin, prescription pain meds, meth, cocaine, etc,), the amount of drug that created yesterday's "high", will not get you high tomorrow. And the cycle continues unabated until people are consuming mass quantities of these substances just to feel a buzz. Years ago, when Rush Limbaugh became addicted to prescription pain medications after a failed back surgery, he had worked his way up to as many as 30 Oxycontins per day. Alcohol works the same way. The more one drinks, the more it takes to get drunk. A similar thing happens with SSRI's and your body's own Serotonin. How does the body respond to the inhibited reuptake of Serotonin in the Synaptic Cleft? Follow along.
Body systems tend to run on feedback loops. These are like the thermostat that we set to keep our house at a certain temperature. When the inside temperature falls outside the range we have set, the furnace or air conditioner (depending on the season) automatically kicks on and regulates the temp back to its set point --- and then it shuts off. When the body perceives it has an overabundance of Serotonin, it will slow down the gut's Serotonin production. SSRI's are designed keep Serotonin in the Synapse by inhibiting its reuptake. But for many people, the body (rightly) perceives this as an excess of Serotonin. For many people who stop taking SSRI's, this is not a huge problem. They may struggle for a few weeks (this is the period where people get the SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome mentioned above), but eventually their Serotonin production goes back to normal (whatever "normal" is). However, for a significant number of people, the feedback mechanism fails, Serotonin production remains diminished, and they end up with a potentially ugly array of long-term problems ---- problems that can be both physically and / or psychologically devastating.
Besides diminishing Serotonin production, the body will respond to these perceived increases in Serotonin levels another way as well. It will down-regulate Serotonin sensitivity. In other words, when there is an excess of Serotonin at the Serotonin Receptors in the Synaptic Cleft, the brain will recognize this and automatically raise the threshold (decrease the sensitivity) of these receptors. The resulting desensitization to Serotonin causes "masked" or "robotic" patients (these are the actual medical terms used to describe these people) who are now physiologically unable to feel extreme joy or happiness. Because the body is no longer reacting normally to Serotonin, these intensely good feelings are blunted. Or worse yet; they become impossible. This helps us understand some of the more common sexual side effects of SSRI's.
IT'S TIME TO WAKE UP
Do your own research. Get on the online SSRI message boards / support groups. Find out what shocking numbers of people who have had their lives turned upside down by SSRI Antidepressant Drugs are saying about them. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of such websites. If nothing else, simply go to YouTube. Educate yourself so that you can make a wise decision. Sit down and make a list of the pros and cons of taking SSRI's. Yes, I believe that there are people who can benefit tremendously from taking SSRI's. However, I also believe that this number of people is far less than the actual number of Americans who are currently taking these drugs on a daily basis.
If you or someone you love is interested in taking the bull by the horns as far as SSRI use is concerned, come back tomorrow. I will show you how to start creating an environment (both inside and outside your body) that at least gives you a fighting chance to defeat Depression naturally. Come back and read the final installment of my series on Depression, when I reveal a list of things that you can do to defeat Depression without drugs (PART III OF BEATING DEPRESSION NATURALLY).
BEATING DEPRESSION NATURALLY
As a clinician who sees lots of patients who are chronically ill and / or dealing with chronic pain, I keep an ear to the ground as far as trying to figure out what sorts of things benefit patients, and conversely, what things are a waste of time, energy, and resources. Anyone who has been in this game very long realizes that when doctors cannot find the underlying cause(s) of a patient's chronic pain, they usually wind up telling them that their underlying problem is "DEPRESSION". And Wallaaaa.... Their magic cure always seems to be one of the latest antidepressant drugs ---- usually an SSRI. Yes; I do realize that there is some medical research out there that links Depression to Chronic Pain. However, nearly 25 years of clinical experience has taught me that just the opposite is more likely to be true --- much more likely. I frequently see people who are fighting Depression because their Chronic Pain is destroying their lives and preventing them from doing the things they have always loved doing. Either way, it can become a vicious cycle. Pain, Depression, Pain, Depression. Repeat ad infinitum.
For decades, the drug of choice for treating depression in America was opioids (derivatives of opium such morphine). As you can imagine, this presented some serious problems --- namely addiction. Is it any coincidence that the 60's saw a veritable explosion of heroin use in the U.S.? By 1960 the medical community realized that this was not a good thing, so they did a total one eighty. The new drug-of-choice for these patients became amphetamines. Once it was determined that "speed" did not make a good anti-depressant either, the medical community did another one eighty. They started prescribing downers. For almost two decades, the number one prescription drug in America was Valium. Doctors may as well have told these patients to drop by the liquor store on the way home and purchase a fifth of scotch ---- it's cheaper, easier on the liver, and probably less addictive. And remember; all of this was done in the name of "science".
Not only do we now have about a jillion different drugs for treating Depression, we have numerous different classes of drugs for treating Depression. However, the only class I am going to address in this series of articles also happens to be the most common here in the United States ---- SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors). Although there are dozens of drugs in this class, some of the most common include Celexa, Lexapro, Prozac (Fluoxetine), Seneril, Paxil, and Zoloft (there are dozens of others). But how do they work? Stay with me and we'll get there momentarily.
SEROTONIN & THE GUT
I frequently remind people (especially those who have been on lots of ANTIBIOTICS) about the fact that 80% of your body's entire Immune System is found in the Gut (HERE). But it does not stop there. If you have visited ENDO-GUT, you are already aware that the scientific literature refers to the gut as the "Second Brain". Some of this has to do with the fact that 90% of your body's Serotonin is produced in the Gut.
Serotonin is synthesized, in the gut, from the amino acid Tryptophan (Tryptophan is a large constituent of the protein found in things like milk and turkey --- foods that are said to make you sleepy). Proper Serotonin synthesis is critical because it just happens to be the body's "feel-good" chemical neurotransmitter that is responsible for things like mood, one's sense of well being, and happiness. It is heavily involved in the regulation of sleep cycles and appetite as well. In other words, if your gut is not making enough Serotonin, you are going to feel crappy, sleep poorly, have low self esteem, eat too much, and typically weigh too much. And unfortunately this describes way too many Americans!
A VERY OVERSIMPLIFIED EXPLANATION OF NEURO-TRANSMISSION
SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) do exactly what their name implies they do. They inhibit the re-uptake of Serotonin. But let me back up a bit. Look at the picture above. Nerves are made up of individual nerve cells called neurons which are themselves made up of a cell body (it looks like an octopus in the picture above) with a long, branching appendage called an axon. It is the axon that actually transmits messages to other nerves, muscles, or organs. The end of the axon is somewhat bulbous and is pictured in the square above, as well as below right.
Amazingly enough, the nerves do not actually "touch" each other when they transmit their chemical / electrical messages. There is a tiny gap between them called a Synapse or "Synaptic Cleft". When the nerve impulse reaches the end of the axon, this triggers the neurotransmitter (in this case, Serotonin) that is stored in tiny bubbles called "Synaptic Vesicles", to be released into the Synapse. The Serotonin moves across the Synapse to the Serotonin Receptor on the dendrite of the next nerve. This causes an electrical impulse to fire up the dendrite to the cell body, and finally to the axon, which stimulates the release of Serotonin across the Synapse. Repeat at extremely high speeds.
Oh, one more critical thing to understanding this process is grasping the fact that the Serotonin has to be removed from the receptors on the opposite side of the Synapse so that it is ready for the next nerve impulse that comes along. And odds are that impulse will be coming along quickly. The adult brain has an estimated 500 trillion synapses, which calculates out to one billion of them in each and every cubic millimeter (unfortunately, politicians have less).
Interestingly enough, another class of drug, SSRE's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Enhancers) do the exact opposite of SSRI's ---- yet are also FDA approved Antidepressants. How can this be? How can two drugs that work in exact opposition to each other be prescribed to treat the same problem? Although hypothesises abound, no one really knows for sure. In fact, some scientists are saying that the current model for the way that SSRI's work is incorrect ---- radically incorrect. All we know is that there are a boatload of side effects associated with both of these classes of drugs. And because no one really understands exactly how they work, no one knows exactly who is going to get these side effects, how severe they might be, or how long they might last.
What exactly are the side-effects of SSRI's? Rest assured, they are many and miserable. Stick around for tomorrow's Blog Post ---- CHRONIC DEPRESSION PART II.
IMAGING THE PIRIFORMIS MUSCLE
ACTUAL PHOTO OF A (LEFT) PIRIFORMIS MUSCLE WITH SCIATIC NERVE UNDERNEATH
Although the use of Magnetic Resonance Neurography (MRN) is increasing in America, most insurance companies classify this test as "experimental" and will not reimburse for it. Because of this, there are not a lot of facilities with the equipment to perform these tests. This is unfortunate, because it is really the only form of diagnostic imaging that has the potential to actually show nerve compression in cases of Piriformis Syndrome (certain kinds of EMG's can also prove Piriformis Syndrome, although they do not "image" the problem). And MRN's are in no way considered fool proof. I have treated several patients with chronic long-standing buttock pain and sciatica that have had MRN results that were negative ---- despite the obvious, classic, and unrelenting symptoms of Piriformis Syndrome.
Probably the most well-known doctor in the field of using MRN for detecting Piriformis Syndrome is Arron Filler. In a ground-breaking study done while working with UCLA's Mount Sinai Medical Center (2005), Filler showed that there are about 30 million MRI's done in America each year. About 1.5 million of these are done because of Sciatica, and about one fifth of these folks (300,000) end up having spinal surgery. Under a very liberal definition of "success", about one third of these SPINAL SURGERIES FAIL. The same study of 240 individuals with Sciatica concluded that Piriformis Syndrome and not Disc Problems is the number one cause of that Sciatica (HERE).
What is the drawback with MRN? Cost is a big factor. An MRN study typically includes standard MRI images along with the neurographic images . On top of that, MRN requires machines that contain very high powered magnets. Another drawback is the fact that MRN's must be performed in "The Tube". In other words, you cannot have an MRN done on an "open" MRI machine.
Dr. Aaron Filler who co-developed MRN technology back in 1992 also happens to be the "go-to" person today for MRN imaging of Piriformis Syndrome. What do I know about the treatments that Dr. Filler is doing for Piriformis Syndrome? Not a lot. What I can tell you is that people either think very highly of him or they have no use for him at all ---- there seems to be no middle ground. I have personally treated several people who have been to him, and were not helped much by what he did. I think it is a case where the diagnostic part of what he is doing is quite valuable, but unfortunately, the medical treatment of Piriformis Syndrome is downright tricky --- and potentially hazardous. Although there are some success stories out there, surgeries to release the Piriformis Muscle are fraught with nightmare scenarios, and injections are not only dangerous and DEGENERATIVE, they never seem to work over the long haul ---- ask anyone who has gone that route. Short term relief is about the best you can hope for --- but at what cost?
What do I recommend? In most cases, I would start with Tissue Remodeling. Because dealing with CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES caused by microscopic scar tissue it is one of the major thrusts of my practice, it sounds sort of self-promoting, doesn't it? I guess in a way it is, but it also happens to be the thing that makes the most sense --- starting with the least invasive, least expensive methods of treatment and working your way up from there. If you have watched many of my Video Testimonials, you already know that I am getting good results with lots (certainly not all) of my patients with hardcore Piriformis Syndrome --- many of these cases being long-standing (decades).
However, people also realize that I am not going to post testimonials from patients who do not get the results they were looking for. I'm no different than anyone else. I tout my successes and not my failures. As much as I would like to tell you that I can fix all cases of Piriformis Syndrome, plain and simply stated, I can't ---- and I do not want to ever lead people to think otherwise (HERE). And the most frustrating part of all of it is that it is difficult ("impossible" might be a more accurate word) to really tell from a phone consultation or emailed history who I can help. Although it is much easier to weed out those people whom I know I cannot help, trying to determine whom I can help is much more difficult. No one has come up with any sort of objective criteria for predetermining who will respond to this sort of treatment and who won't (although I am continually working on it).
What I can tell you is that the people that seem to be the most difficult for me to help with Piriformis Syndrome are the people who have really funky anatomical anomalies that can be seen on MRN. For instance, I recently saw a woman from Canada whose Sciatic Nerve split in two, went around the Piriformis Muscle (one part over the Piriformis Muscle, one part under the Piriformis Muscle), and then grew back together into one reunified Sciatic Nerve. Nothing she has tried thus far has helped.
However, some of these people respond. And unless you have had an MRN, you will not likely know whether you are one of those people who was born with this sort of anomaly. What we do know is that there are a WIDE VARIETY OF CAUSES of this thing that we call Piriformis Syndrome. Almost all of these people develop their Piriformis Syndrome in adulthood (some even in later adulthood), and most (but not all) cannot even relate it to anything that happened to them --- a certain incident or specific injury. It just happens --- either all at once or gradually over time.
The crazy part of it all is how physically fit some of these people are that I treat. Maybe it's just the sort of Piriformis Syndrome sufferers that I attract ---- patients (many are athletes) who are highly motivated to get better without surgery so they can get back to their running / lifting / biking / hiking / etc. This group of people tends to really grasp the fact that Piriformis Release Surgery is such a crap-shoot ---- something that a significant percentage of the people who go through with, end up regretting. I am going to do a blog interview with a rarity ---- a person who has done great with the Piriformis Release Surgery.
I never set out to be "The Piriformis Syndrome Doctor". And no; although I see an awful lot of people with Piriformis Syndrome, it is not even the largest thrust of my practice ---- it's just one of many things that I see. I deal with all sorts of Pain syndromes that are caused by FASCIAL ADHESIONS & TENDINOSIS (as well as microscopic scarring of other Connective Tissues). It's just that I recognized early in my career that far too many people with sciatica had what I still call "butt-based" sciatica that adjustments to the lumbar spine did not seem to improve --- at least on a long-term basis. As the word spread about what I am doing in Mountain View, we have more and more people traveling to see us. This is probably a smart move on the part of most patients who have been struggling with Piriformis Syndrome for a significant amount of time, and been through all the tests that their doctors have offered them. Some of the advantages of trying us first includes.....
- COST: Although it's certainly not free, you are going to get out of here for a fraction of what it would cost to go see practically anyone else. You could do scores of our treatments for what an average MRN costs.
- NON-INVASIVE: Injections and Surgeries are extremely invasive (injections also happen to be extremely degenerative as well). Although I would never hope to make people think that we fix every person who comes to us with Piriformis Syndrome, as far as I know, no one has ever ended up worse than they were. And as far as CT goes, make sure to look at the link at the top --- it's a known cause of CANCER.
- SHORT TERM TREATMENT: I have said it before but will say it again for those of you who are not aware. It usually takes several treatments to completely get rid of a Piriformis Syndrome, but you will know after the first treatment whether or not the treatment I do is going to work for you.
- EVIDENCE-BASED: I have always said that the proof is in the pudding. Good results cannot be faked. Just go to our TESTIMONIAL PAGE.
- LOCATION: We are centrally located in the U.S. Although anyone who has visited us will tell you that we are in the boonies, we are not difficult to get to (HERE).
- REFERRAL SOURCES: I run into people who have tried all sorts of things (HERE is one I just learned about) for their Piriformis Syndrome. I am the first to admit that I do not have all the answers. However, I am fully convinced that even if I do not have your solution, there is someone out there who does. If I cannot help you, I will do my best to try and get you to someone who can. And yes, I realize that some of you have already been this route --- and I'm seemingly your last hope. Bottom line; I personally know what Chronic Pain is all about, and will do whatever I can to help you get better --- or find someone who can.
DR. DATIS KHARRAZIAN & APEX ENERGETICS SEMINARS
Dr. Datis Kharrazian is one of the most brilliant individuals you have never heard of. You don't get invited on "Coma-Busting" missions to Europe with DR. TED CARRICK unless you know your stuff! No one, and I mean no one blends the practice of Functional Medicine / Functional Neurology with the Scientific Medical Literature the way that Dr. K does. The list of his post-graduate degrees and accomplishments would take an hour to list. Besides sitting on the editorial board of the Journal of Functional Neurology, Dr. Kharrazian is board certified in numerous specialties including
- Diplomate of the Board of Nutrition Specialists
- Diplomate of the American Board of Clinical Nutrition
- Diplomate of the Chiropractic Board of Clinical Nutrition
- Diplomate of the American Board of Chiropractic Neurology
- Diplomate of the International Board of Applied Kinesiology.
His unique brand of Functional Neuro-Immuno-Endocrinology has earned him a world-wide reputation as the person that people turn to when there is absolutely no where else to turn. His first book, Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Tests Are Normal? (Thyroid Book) has been the number-one selling thyroid book on Amazon since 2009 (and his Brain Health Book is not far behind). His command of AUTOIMMUNITY, Hormone / Endocrine imbalances, and neurological disorders, is second to none. However, it is his work with Apex Energetics that I am personally grateful for.
Dr. K has created about 30 different Seminar Modules for learning how to effectively deal with the common Neuro-Immuno-Endocrine problems that are burying our country alive, and are taught by others who are trying to emulate Kharrazian's work (this one was taught by the venerable Steve Noseworthy of Tampa, FL). You see, although the medical community understands Pathology, they do not largely understand Functional Deficits (HERE). The series of seminars created by Dr. K are all about addressing the underlying Functional Deficits that are causing the vast majority of our country's Chronic Illness.
Dr. K does not make half-cocked statements (like I have a tendency to do). Everything he says or does is backed by the scientific literature. So when he says that celiac disease is the manifestation of GLUTEN SENSITIVITY, but that it manifests very differently in the Neurological System (MS, ALS, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER'S, etc) my ears perk up. I gathered all sorts of other fun-facts from Dr. Noseworthy as well. for instance....
- 90% of the brain's Motor Output is into the Vagus Nerve via the Pontulo-Medulary-Reticular-Formation. In English, this means that the largest majority of your brain's motor activity controls THE GUT (could be just one of the reasons that the gut is referred to as the "Second Brain").
- The brain has 10 times more Immune System Cells (GLIAL CELLS) in it than it does Nerve Cells.
- Every seminar I attend paints a worse picture of Gluten that the seminar before it. Gluten is more neuro-toxic than I ever dreamed ---- way more toxic. The Scientific Literature is now linking Gluten to almost every imaginable Neurological Disease. And if you happen to carry the gentic makeup for Gluten Sensitivity (83% of all Americans do), the more you expose yourself to this protein, the greater the chance of developing a full-blown GLUTEN-RELATED AUTO IMMUNE DISEASE or serious NEUROLOGICAL CONDITION. In fact, the prestigious medical journal Gastroenterology said back in 2005 that, "Celiac Disease [wheat sensitivity that is seen in the Small Intestine] has long been associated with neurologic and psychological disorders including ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, epilepsy, dementia, and depression." We also discussed a yet-to-be published study discussing the fact that Gluten now contains at least 6 proteins that were not in existence 20 years ago. The wheat we are eating today is not the same wheat that Jesus ate --- or that our grandparents ate for that matter (HERE). And furthermore, you cannot effectively go "GLUTEN FREE" without first learning about the GLUTEN CROSS REACTORS.
- Stress actually changes the flora (bacteria) in your gut from good to bad, causing a host of systemic (whole body) health problems (this sounds a lot like "PLEOMORPHISM"). It is critical to understand that 80% of your body's entire Immune System lives in your gut (HERE).
- Healing the Gut is probably the most important factor in healing the body ---- no matter what your problem is. Fifteen years ago there was a huge debate within the medical community over the existence of "LEAKY GUT SYNDROME" (they call it Increased Intestinal Permeability). Within the next year, the number of scientific studies / papers on this subject will pass the 10,000 mark.
- The really cool thing about all of this, is that there are now very accurate lab tests for all of this ---- tests that were not around just a few years ago.
THE BLATANT LYING THAT GOES ON IN MEDICAL RESEARCH & PRESS RELEASES
Doctor Chester Wilks, one of the six chiropractors who took the "Medical Monopoly & Propaganda" case all the way to the Supreme Court (and won) back in the early 1990's, wrote in 1973's Chiropractic Speaks Out: A Reply to Medical Propaganda, Bigotry, and Ignorance about the way that this is accomplished within the medical research community. Wilks wrote,
There is a story of a horse race between two entries, an American and a foreign stallion, that was run on American soil. The American horse won the race and as a result, an American newspaper reported the race saying, "A horse race between the great American stallion and the foreign entry had the American entry winning easily". The foreign newspaper reporting the same race said, "The superiority of our horse breeding was clearly demonstrated in an international horse race today. Although not familiar with the foreign turf, our stallion made a brilliant performance coning in a close second while America's finest entry, running on familiar soil came in next to last." This simple story classically illustrates the effectiveness of deceptive reporting without telling an outright lie.
Doctor Wilk wrote this paragraph four decades ago. Has anything changed over the course of the ensuing forty years? Sure it has. The problem has gotten worse! Much of this comes in the form of "PRESS RELEASES". These are nothing more than unpaid advertising ---- free commercials that are disguised to look like great "Ah ha moments" for the medical and drug companies. They could be about a new drug that cures half of the people who take it ---- but kills the other half. Or they could be about that new surgery that is being touted on all three network's six o'clock news as the greatest thing since sliced bread. No matter what you are being told, you had better turn your BS detectors to full power and pay attention when watching these "Press Releases" that are made to look like legitimate news stories. Truth is true under all circumstances. Science is all too often whatever the person with the most money says it is. Don't believe me? Just look at what the medical research community is now saying about medical research.
A French study (Misrepresentation of Randomized Controlled Trials in Press Releases and News Coverage: A Cohort Study) published in PLoS Medicine --- a medical journal --- says the problem is rampant. Not surprisingly, the researchers found that media coverage of medical research results and so-called "scientific studies" distorts results and misinforms the public. This begs the question of just how bad this problem really is? I can assure you that it's probably worse than you ever dreamed. The French physicians doing the PLoS research showed that any beneficial effects of experimental treatments are nearly six times more likely to be found in a press release if the conclusion of the study itself was also spun.
Here are some interesting stats from their study. Forty percent of the medical research had some kind of spin in the study's conclusion (abstract). These included:
- Not acknowledging statistically-insignificant primary outcomes
- Extrapolating data inappropriately
- Focusing on significant results in areas that are less (or not significant) to the study's outcome
- False claims of safety
- Failing to mention poor study results (HERE)
Amazingly enough, half of all the medical studies and press releases that the study's authors looked at were spun. Stop and think about this for a moment. I have been hollering for the past twenty years about the fact that we cannot trust the research that is coming out of our scientific medical community. Much of this is due to the fact that the relationship between doctors, the medical research community, and our medical schools can only be described as incestuous. So, the next time you see a "news story" on that latest drug or surgery that looks too good to be true ----- just remember; it probably is. Just another one of the joys of EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE!
HOW TO CURE ANYTHING
People come to me all the time asking the same general question. Doctor Schierling. Have you got anything natural for my high blood pressure? What sort of natural supplement do you have that will let me loose about 70 pounds? What about my heart problems ---- anything natural for them? Can you cure my digestive problems naturally? What sort of natural treatment can you do for my hormones, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Fibro, Blood Sugar, Autoimmune Disease, or (________ insert your disease du jour here)?
But read between the lines. What is the question that most folks are really asking? "Hey Doc, What have you got that will take care of my health problems, help me drop about 70 pounds, keep me active in the bedroom, but allow me to keep the same self destructive habits I have had my whole life? I mean gosh darn it doc, it's my parents fault! I'm just one of the unlucky ones who has bad genes." Blaming others is easy. It's something we all do well --- especially that GENETIC THING. No one likes to admit that their health problems just might be their own fault. After all; health is no longer our responsibility ---- it's what our doctors and government do for us.
Doc, I have symptom "A", so give me drug / supplement "B". I have a cold so give me an ANTIBIOTIC. I have a pain, please prescribe me some PAIN MEDS. It's the easy way out. It is the promise modern medicine has been making for decades. Doctors are just doing what Ray Davies and The Kinks sang about back in the early 80's ----- they're giving the people what they want. After all; it doesn't really require any effort from patients. Just like putting a tithe in the offering plate is easier than getting down to the hard work of spreading the gospel person by person by person, it's just plain easier to pay someone else to take care of our health. That's America today. It's not my fault doc. It's not my responsibility doc. Do it for me. And by golly, make sure it's easy! Oh no, no, no doc ---- I hate vegetables. Are you crazy doc, I could never give up my DIET SODAS --- I just don't like the taste of water. You have to understand; I'm just way too tired to move when I come home from work. I used to really like you doc when all you did was "pop" my back, but now you're stepping on toes.
Doctor's appointments, EXAMINATIONS, diagnostic testing, SCANS, procedures, drugs, more drugs, and still more drugs. And then we start down a bit rougher path --- only now it's not just drugs; it's surgeries. People think that if they can just keep that MEDICAL MERRY GO ROUND spinning long enough, maybe one of their many doctors will finally figure out what's wrong. It's comforting to believe that someone else can do it for us. But the problem is, far too often; they can't. If you really search your souls, most of you will have to admit that far too many of the promises of modern medicine are hollow ---- like a tree that looks good on the outside but is rotten in the middle.
TAKING THE CURE
So; what do you do? Almost every single patient reading this, no matter what sort of health condition you are dealing with, could benefit from THIS basic get-back-to-health protocol.
PAUL BURRIS: A REAL HERO
Far too many of our modern politicians have forgotten what patriotism is. We never had to worry about that happening with Paul Burris. Paul was a "throwback" in every since of the word --- a modern day John Walton. He was the epitome of the hard working American man who not only understood his duty to serve his country and take care of his family, but carried out those duties to their fullest extent.
He was married to the same woman for nearly seven decades. He was an entrepreneur and businessman. He was a family-man who raised seven children. And although it's an overused cliche, he was the sort of person who would have literally given you the shirt off his back if you needed it. Paul was a one of a kind. Just ask anyone who knew him. Yes; Paul cut a wide swath in the Emporia, Kansas area. Sadly; last weekend he passed away in his home. He was one of the last of a dying breed --- America's "Greatest Generation" ----- one of the GIANTS I wrote about a few weeks ago.
Paul was buried with full military honors on the kind of September day that only God could have blessed us with. One of his fellow VFW members, Lee Hoskins, delivered a moving eulogy, and then the service ended with both a 21 gun salute and the playing of Taps ---- honors that were earned through real sacrifice. Paul; you are already missed. Paul Burris is the father of my best friend Rick.
Paul's obituary from the Emporia Gazette.
Although this obituary does not do him the justice that Michael did with his reading, it will have to do.
Paul was born May 28, 1925 in McDonald KS to Edgar and Gladys (Jayne) Burris. He graduated from Emporia High School in 1943 and was drafted into the Army, where he served in the 8th Air Force as a tail gunner on a B-24. He was stationed in England, flying bombing missions. He was in the first group to fly over the English Channel on D-Day. His crew went down over Sweden, where he was interred before returning to England and then home. On January 27, 1944, he married Ilene Haughton, his wife of nearly 69 years. He attended, and graduated from, Watchmaker School and later joined two brothers in operating a jewelry store in Hosington KS. He returned to Emporia and worked for Stephen’s Furniture/Appliance Store for 22 years. He opened the Appliance Center for several years and remained on as the service manager after selling the business to Hill’s. Since retirement, he has served as a volunteer at Newman Regional Health and the Sertoma train in Soden’s Grove Park . His memberships include: Sertoma (over 50 years – serving a term as president), American Legion Post 5 (over 60 years – including serving as commander), Sr. and Jr. American Legion Drum Corps (quartermaster), Jaycees, VFW Post 1980. He is a member of Sacred Heart Parish in Emporia.
CHRONIC NECK PAIN
THEIR RELATIONSHIP TO SCAR TISSUE
Although there are many different and varying causes of chronic neck pain and headache (HERE), they often have a common origin --- BIOMECHANICAL DYSFUNCTION OF THE NECK. Fortunately, many of these common biomechanical issues can be effectively dealt with. Chiropractors have understood the importance of proper biomechanical function for well over a century (the profession of "Chiropractic" began in 1895 even though manipulation has been around for thousands of years). Incredible numbers of cases of individuals struggling with chronic or acute neck pain, and headaches have been resolved by chiropractors. But what about those who do not resolve so easily?
I frequently run into a class of patients who have chronic neck pain and / or headaches that is easily resolved by chiropractic adjustments. But the adjustments never seem to hold for more than a few days before the symptoms return. No matter how many adjustments these patients receive, their symptoms act like the proverbial boomerang that always seems to come back --- a dead give-away that their problem is related to Scar Tissue (HERE).
Another problem commonly found in individuals who never really understand the importance of having underlying biomechanical dysfunctions corrected is spinal or extra-spinal degeneration. One of the major known causes of DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS in any joint is abnormal motion / function of that joint over time. Although doctors love to tell patients that they have "arthritis" because they just aren't as young as they used to be (or better yet, they have DJD --- Degenerative Joint Disease); the truth is often times much less complicated. Fascial Adhesion could very well be at the root of your pain and dysfunction!
If you have FASCIAL ADHESIONS in your neck, upper back, or even your SKULL, there is a high probability that it is a big part of your pain. I know, I know, I know. You want to know, "If these Fascial Adhesions are so stinkin bad, why haven't I heard about them before?" Why hasn't your doctor talked about them with you? It's really quite simple. The vast majority of Fascial Adhesions and Scar Tissue will not show up on any tests ---- even the most advanced imaging tests such as MRI (HERE). To gain a better understanding of the whole process, take a look at THIS short post.
WHO'S THE PARENT HERE?
THE MISNOMER OF "KID-FRIENDLY" FOODS
I recently had my first experience with the term "Kid-Friendly Food". My wife was making a meal for an ill neighbor, and was told by someone she knows to keep it "Kid Friendly" or her children will not eat it. Although I had a pretty good idea of what this term meant, when I asked my wife, she looked at me like I was the behind-the-times idiot that I often am.
"Kid-Friendly" foods. The truth is that most of these so-called "foods" have no real place in a child's diet. Yet our country's children are by-and-large living on them. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Pizza Pockets, breakfast cereal, white bread, processed peanut butter, SUGARED everything, chips, JUNK FOOD, quantum amounts of GLUTEN, etc, etc, etc...... And the icing on the cake (no pun intended), is that most of these kids aren't eating vegetables ---- any vegetables (not even the DANGEROUS KIND)! Several years ago, the Focus on the Family radio program quoted research saying that 1/3 of American children (under 18) are getting zero servings of vegetables per week ---- unless you count french fries and ketchup as vegetables (the government allows our public schools do this ---- and believe it or not, pizza actually counts as two servings of vegetables (HERE). And despite Michelle Obama's best efforts to spend our tax dollars (HERE), things are not getting any better (unless you count THIS drivel).
In 2009, Ohio State University published a study of the dietary habits of more than 6,500 children ages 2 to 18. These researchers found that there was lots and lots of fruit "juice" being consumed --- particularly among the younger children (10% juice --- 90% sugar water), but that only 8% of the vegetables consumed could be considered to be "dark green or orange". What were the children's most-consumed "vegetables"? If you thought for awhile, you would probably be able to figure it out. Fried potatoes and corn. Unfortunately, neither is a vegetable. Corn is a grain that our nation's farmers feed their livestock to make them fat, while a white potato is a starchy root which, after cooking, has a higher Glycemic Index than table sugar. Have things gotten better dietary over the past few years? Is Ronald Regan going to be canonized during tonite's DNC address? The correct answer to both questions ---- of course not!
Why do you think so many children are sickly and OBESE? Why are chronic diseases like DIABETES, ASTHMA, Heart Disease, CANCER, AUTOIMMUNITY, INFLAMMATORY DISEASES, and numerous others, increasing exponentially here in America? Could it be that our national diet is beyond pathetic --- even though it does not have to be that way. Oh, there are a few medical doctors who have the gumption to tell parents the truth (HERE). But all too often, doctors give CRAPPY NUTRITIONAL ADVICE, and the kids continue to run the show as far as meals / snacks are concerned. The inmates are in charge of the asylum, the tail wags the dog, and parents continue to condemn their kids to a lifetime of health problems by giving them only those foods they really like to eat. And when given a choice, most children will chose chocolate cake and Cheetos over a vegetable salad or steamed broccoli. It's the nature of kids ---- it's how they think.
So for Pete's sake step up to the plate and be the parent. Think for your children. Help them make good decisions at the dinner table ---- or make the decisions for them. Little Johnny will not starve. In fact, he will probably learn to like most of the things that you teach him eat ---- vegetables included. Kind of like your parents and grandparents who grew up in their gardens. For more information, visit our WHOLE FOODS page.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration