TWO MORE PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME VIDEO TESTIMONIALS
| || |
FREE RUNNING AND PARKOUR
According to Wikipedia, Parkour is defined as, "A holistic training discipline using movement that developed out of military obstacle course training. Practitioners aim to quickly and efficiently overcome obstacles in their environment, using only their bodies and their surroundings to propel themselves; furthermore, they try to maintain as much momentum as is possible in a safe manner. Parkour can include running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, quadrupedal movement, and the like, depending on what movement is deemed most suitable for the given situation."
I don't care what you call it, these guys really put on a great show. It also looks like it has to be an amazing full body workout as well. Enjoy.
WHY I RECOMMEND PALEO FOR
NEARLY ALL MY PATIENTS
- CONTROLS BLOOD SUGAR: I have written extensively about BLOOD SUGAR and why it is so critical that it be STRICTLY CONTROLLED ---- hopefully before you are diagnosed with Diabetes (HERE). The truth is, almost every health problem that you can name has origins in Uncontrolled Blood Sugar. The thing you have to remember is that by the time your blood sugar readings actually show that it is uncontrolled, you are probably many years down the path of Chronic Illness (HERE is an example of this phenomenon). Control blood sugar, and the rest will begin to fall into place. Just remember that Diabetes is not necessarily a "blood sugar" problem (HERE).
- CONTROLS WEIGHT: If you want to control your weight, you are first going to have to get a handle on your blood sugar. If you are truly controlling your blood sugar (see the previous link), and are still having problems with your weight, you are either eating something that your body is reacting to (see next bullet), or your GUT is fouled up (maybe both).
- LESS REACTIVE: There are certain foods / food groups that people have a propensity for having immune responses to. In other words, if your body sees certain food-based proteins as foreign (many times this is because you have a LEAKY GUT), you will react to them. When your body reacts, it begins to mount an Immune System attack against these foods (it creates antibodies and attacks them). The two most common Food Sensitivities? GLUTEN and DAIRY (dairy is one of about 45 Gluten Cross-Reactors). These Immune System Responses to certain foods, are known to be a significant factor in developing AUTOIMMUNITY. By the way, all GRAINS (along with any number of other foods) are considered to be "Gluten Cross Reactors. This is why when you do your ELIMINATION DIET, you'll need to do it in a very specific, step-wise manner.
- LESS INFLAMMATORY: When you are cutting SUGAR, CHEMICALS, and Reactive Foods out of your diet, you ultimately end up with far less Inflammation. When it comes to Chronic Illness, you must remember that INFLAMMATION is the driving force behind the vast majority --- even most of those you have had pounded into your head are "GENETIC". Unfortunately, few people have any real idea what Inflammation is, even though the word is bantered around constantly (hint: it is not swelling or infection). It's interesting to note that Dr. David Seaman's ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET is suspiciously similar to Paleo.
- ADEQUATE PROTEIN: The truth is, a Vegan diet (if done correctly) can accomplish all of the previous things on the list. The one big thing, however, that a VEGAN DIET lacks, is the ability to provide adequate protein intake, particularly for those struggling with chronic conditions or chronic pain. I am certainly not saying that it cannot be done, but it is much tougher to get ample amounts of high grade protein from a Vegan Diet.
When you deal with chronically ill, inflamed, and obese people on a daily basis, you quickly figure out what works and what doesn't. PALEO WORKS! And if you are simply looking to maintain good health, don't wait until you are sick to try this way of eating. There are numerous great sources of free info online, or you could click on the first link at the top of the page.
PAIN RELIEF OR A GOLD BRICK
WHICH WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE?
In fact, when you really stop and think about it; getting people out of pain is the same as giving someone their life back. It's like handing them a gold brick and saying, "Here..... this is yours. For keeps." If you have never watched any of our VIDEO TESTIMONIALS, take a few minutes and do so. Many of these people would freely tell you that they were handed a gold brick. In fact, just yesterday I saw a young woman from Paducah, Kentucky (about three hours from us), who immediately after treatment for CHRONIC NECK PAIN, looked at me with tears in her eyes and told me I just gave her her life back. It's why I don't ever plan on retiring.
MOUNTAIN VIEW MISSOURI
I am amazed at how difficult it is to get to Mountain View. But I must admit; the ferry ride was fabulous. An East Coast patient who was in the process of taking an extremely circuitous route from St. Louis. They were crossing AKER'S FERRY at the time.
It was definitely a beautiful drive from Branson. But honestly, three and a half hours of hills and curves just about did me in. A patient who recently flew in to Branson and took highways 160 and 17 to get here, instead of 65 and 60.
I know all the back roads in this area of the country because I am an avid GOLDWINGER. They are fabulous if you are into that sort of thing. But because this is the Ozarks ---- and because we have lots of RIVERS, lakes, and 'mountains' in the general area --- you will almost certainly want to stay on main roads to make your travel both easier and faster. Whichever airport you fly into, or whichever route you chose to drive, make sure to actually look at a map beforehand (in other words, the route that appears shortest might not be the shortest). Otherwise you might end up on the ferry --- and if it happens to be closed, it's a long way around.
ANOTHER DAY IN THE LIFE
VIDEO TESTIMONIALS OF PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC NECK PAIN,
PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME, AND A COMBINATION OF THE TWO
To get everything done that needs to be done, I usually get out of bed between 3:30 and 4:00 am. The first thing I do is a bit of Bible Study. This week, Bible Study was a bigger issue since I was asked to teach at Sunday morning service. I then take the time to answer as many emails as I can. They usually start like this; "Dear Dr. Russ, I have **********. Do you think you can help me? Then I try and throw up a Blog Post. Sometimes this is a new post, or sometimes it might be a post from the 45 or so that are currently be in my "Drafts" file. During this time, I am usually drinking my breakfast ---- something with SP COMPLETE and GREENS in it. When I finish what I am doing (or simply run out of time), I jump in the shower, get dressed, and make the five minute trip to my office.
Although I do not see regular patients on Tuesdays and Thursdays, T&T mornings is when I typically see our OUT-OF-STATE PATIENTS. What do I do the rest of the time on those days? Since we home school, I spend a fair bit of time working with our four kids on Math and Science, as well as History and Bible. If we plan for it, we sometimes get to go to THE RIVER or DO SOMETHING FUN. Needless to say, I am almost always busy working on something.
PATIENT VIDEO TESTIMONIALS
Below are the three Videos we shot yesterday. The first (Daniel) is one man's experience with being relieved of 10 years of CHRONIC NECK PAIN. Second comes Anna's relief after a decade of pain that finally progressed to full-blown PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME with Sciatica. And lastly is Carin's description of what it is like to find a solution to years and years of Chronic Neck Pain and Piriformis Syndrome (by the way, if you are trying to place Carin's accent, it is South African). If you liked the videos on this page, take a look at THESE VIDEO TESTIMONIALS as well. Enjoy!
CHRONIC NECK PAIN
CHRONIC NECK PAIN
REPEATED CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS
"The only thing that seems to help me are Chiropractic Adjustments. But the results simply don't last. Within a few days --- or even hours --- I feel like I need to be adjusted again. What gives?" Millions upon millions of chiropractic patients from around the country.
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have seen patients who are living the scenario from the top of the page. "Dr. Schierling; the only thing that helps my chronic neck and upper back pain are Chiropractic Adjustments. But the results only last (circle your choice) a few hours / a day or two / a week or so. Then my pain returns in the same place and with the same intensity it was previously. What can I do so that I get long-lasting results like the people on your Video Testimonials?". Truthfully, it may be time for a change of scenery (HERE).
When I hear people making comments like those above, the first thing I think of is Scar Tissue. You see; if you have SCAR TISSUE in the form of FASCIAL ADHESIONS, I don't really care if you get adjusted every day (or even twice a day) until doomsday; you are never going to get through the FIBROSIS and affect true change in your spine. The worse the adhesions, the quicker you'll be "out of place" again after your adjustment. Don't believe me? Just take a few minutes to read the previous links and look at a few of our VIDEOS where our patients tell their stories. Although some of these are fairly generic, many are downright astounding.
It's one thing to see a chiropractor who is using repeated adjustments to actually effect change (CBP for instance). It's a whole other animal to get adjusted over and over and over again --- just to get some temporary pain relief in the name of "CHIROPRACTIC MAINTENANCE". While certainly an improvement over the BIG FIVE, it's not getting to the root of the problem. It is all about getting to the root of the problem. My goal is always to get you better as quickly as is humanly possible. To see what a first visit to our clinic looks like, as well as the ridiculous results achieved by recent patients after just one treatment, go HERE and HERE respectively.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell; 1984
Unfortunately, the practice of medicine is fraught with politics, and becoming more so with every passing day. Medical Politics (or political medicine) have undoubtedly brought us some of our best examples of Doublespeak, but my all time favorite is Evidence-Based Medicine. In a nutshell, EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE is, "the conscientious, explicit and judicious use of current best evidence in making decisions about the care of individual patients". Sounds wonderful doesn't it? Sort of 'Utopic'. The problem is, EBM is not Utopia. It's a myth. A hoax. A joke. And a great example of Doublespeak. And let's be brutally honest with each other for a moment. If the "current best evidence" (their words, not mine) is what health care professionals are now using to make vital medical decisions for you and your family; what exactly were they using to make those same decisions five years ago ---- before EBM became the catchphrase dujour? Why do I sound so harsh when discussing this topic? Let me give you one example of hundreds.
About two hours ago, Jill and her husband left my office. They had traveled all the way from Minnesota to see me. You see, Jill has been dealing with life-altering CHRONIC NECK PAIN for the better part of the past 5 years. The thing about her case that is dog-common to most of the other people that I treat, is that she had been through tens of thousands of dollars worth of Evidence-Based Care prior to her appointment with me with nothing to show for it, but a lot of red ink from the debit side of her checkbook. The way she was treated was not only common, it was borderline criminal (who says that crime doesn't pay?). My guess is that if you asked her, she would tell you that she has had her fill of EBM.
The really crazy thing about this story is that Jill actually told her doctors exactly what was wrong with her ---- right down to the tiniest details. They ignored her. They treated her like she was ANXIOUS / DEPRESSED. They told her that her problems were the result of OLD AGE / DEGENERATION. When she mentioned FASCIAL ADHESIONS, they treated her like she was off her rocker. Instead of doing anything to really help her, they busied themselves with giving her CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS, prescribing all sorts of drugs (she rarely took them), doing crazy procedures like Radio Frequency Ablations (burning nerves via a procedure also known as Facet Rhizotomy), and suggesting still more invasive treatments --- and even surgeries. Thankfully, their daughter found us online.
No; I am not able to help EVERY PERSON who comes to see me. However, if you are thinking about making the trip, it might just be a big step toward a new life. Take a few minutes to check out our VIDEO TESTIMONIAL PAGE. We hear about example after example of scientists fudging their results and faking the "evidence" on an almost daily basis (HERE is a great example). But as I have always said; you can't fake good results. The PROOF IS IN THE 'PROVERBIAL' PUDDING.
AND THE RELATIONSHIP TO SICKNESS, DISEASE, AND CHRONIC PAIN
“The longer the individual has had Fibromyalgia [Chronic Pain], the greater the gray matter loss, with each year of fibromyalgia being equivalent to 9.5 times the loss seen in normal aging”. McGill University Center for Research, from The Journal of Neuroscience
- Do acidic foods upset your stomach?
- Do you get chilled easily?
- Are your hands and feet cold and clammy?
- Do you find it difficult to relax?
- Do you gag easily or frequently have a 'lump' in your throat?
- Are you startled easily?
- Does your pulse race after you eat --- particularly if you eat carbohydrates?
- Do you find yourself sick often, yet heal slowly?
- Are you sensitive to bright lights?
- Do you have digestive problems?
- Do you struggle with an array of pains that doctors have characterized as 'Neuralgia'?
If you can answer "yes" to very many of these questions, you may well be living in a state of Sympathetic Dominance. Allow me to explain.
We live in a pedal-to-the-metal, maximum overdrive society. It seems that we are always under deadlines and running behind. There are never enough hours in the day to accomplish all we need to do. And then we tend to crash in front of the TV for several hours every evening. On top of that, despite spending more dollars on healthcare than any nation on the planet, we are one of the most chronically ill societies the world has ever seen --- and it's getting worse with every passing generation (HERE). If you want to begin to nip your emotional and health problems in the bud, you'll have to have at least a cursory understanding of the Nervous System.
In a very over-simplified explanation, the Nervous System is made up of three parts. There is the ENTERIC SYSTEM, which is what is frequently referred to as the BRAIN / GUT. Then you have the Sympathetic Nervous System and the Parasympathetic Nervous System. These two parts of the Nervous System are antagonistic to each other, and are always trying to influence your body in opposite directions. Pay attention.
- THE SYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEM: This is your "fight or flight" system (your adenergic or adrenaline-based / epinepherine-based system ---- also known as the Sympathetic-Adrenal Response). It is your Sympathetic Nervous System that makes your heart race when the phone rings at 3:00 am. Or if a car pulls out in front of you and you have to jam on your brakes. Or while you are waiting to find out why the boss wanted to see you in his office at 5:00 on Friday afternoon. It is also the Sympathetic Nervous System that stimulates your Adrenal Glands to action. Other things associated with Sympathetic Response includes things like increased heart rate and contraction of vessels, sweating, dilated pupils, dilated lung passages, and orgasm.
- THE PARASYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEM: On the other hand, the parasympathetic nervous system works in an opposite manner. It is often referred to as the "rest-and-digest" or "feed and breed" part of the nervous system. The Parasympathetic Nervous System is responsible for things like digestion, sexual arousal, and activities associated with using the toilet (peristalsis --- the movement of food through the digestive tract).
Let me give you a "real life" example of how these two systems work together to help you survive and thrive. You are out hunting deer in the Mark Twain National Forest. You ate a nice breakfast of farm eggs and homemade beef sausage a couple of hours ago, and now you feel satisfied --- rested --- almost drowsy while sitting in your tree stand. You are in a state of being that is heavily weighted toward Parasympathetic Control.
All of a sudden, you hear a crashing through the underbrush. The next thing you know, you are staring at a 10 foot tall Sasquatch from about 20 yards away. Your Sympathetic Nervous System goes into overdrive and stimulates your Adrenal Gland to dump a boatload of epinephrine into your blood stream. As the switch from Parasympathetic to Sympathetic occurs, your sphincters relax (you wet and soil yourself), your digestion comes to an almost instant halt as blood supply is shunted away from your digestive organs to your legs --- so that you can run if you need to, the passageways to your lungs open up, and your heart goes into high gear to supply the blood necessary to run like the wind.
Now; stop and imagine that something similar to this is your normal state of being. Although this example was quite radical, the truth is that a huge percentage of the American population is living in some degree of Sympathetic Dominance. Due to stress, whether physical, emotional, psychological, dietary, etc, the Sympathetics are being stimulated and the Adrenal Glands are firing ---- almost non-stop. These people tend to live in a state of stress, fear, worry, anger, and resentment. Think it through. What are some of the classic signs of Sympathetic Dominance? Lets see if we can name just a few, using the picture at the top of the page, as well as the bullet points above.
Firstly, your food is going to move very slowly through your digestive tract. This means that not only is your digestion going to stink, you are likely to end up constipated as well (as the body tries to compensate, you get the wild swings to diarrhea that are seen with IBS). Because the digestive tract is not secreting well, you get a diminished amount of stomach acid present (as crazy as it sounds, this is one of the major causes of all sorts of DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS). You find your LIBIDO IS DROOPING, you have HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, and Chronic Pain ---- your Adrenal Glands are so overworked that they are going into ADRENAL FATIGUE. Oh, let's throw insomnia in there now as well. Some of the other commonly seen symptoms of Sympathetic Dominance includes things like....
- MIGRAINE HEADACHES: HERE is a good link. Be aware that while many chronic Migraine sufferers are Sympathetic Dominant, many of these are the result of SCAR TISSUE.
- ADD / ADHD / DEPRESSION / ANXIETY / FORGETFULNESS / BRAIN FOG: HERE and HERE are a couple of good links.
- DRY SKIN / DRY EYES / DRY MOUTH:
- BLADDER INFECTIONS / UTI'S:
- CHRONIC PAIN: HERE
THE SOLUTION TO SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE
Dealing with these two factors is going to solve most cases of Sympathetic Dominance. However, if these steps do not work, make an appointment with a FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGIST trained by Dr. Ted Carrick. If your problem is BRAIN BASED, this approach is a must. Since I have been doing Mineral Hair Analysis for about 15 years, HERE is a link on Sympathetic Dominance from that approach as well. To see my other posts on Sympathetic Dominance, HERE, HERE and HERE are the links.
NEW RESEARCH SHOWS THAT COLD LASER DRAMATICALLY HELPS PEOPLE WITH SHINGLES-INDUCED NEURALGIA
"Although the rash typically resolves over the course of 4 to 5 weeks, the pain may persist for months, or even years, after the rash has disappeared. Known as PHN (Post-Herpetic Neuralgia), this phenomenon can often be debilitating to the patient." The July 2013 issue of Practical Pain Management
The standard treatment for severe cases of Shingles has always been anit-viral drugs like Acyclovir. However, what is a person supposed to do when the Shingles themselves are gone, and the Neuralgia remains? Pain pills are a short term option, but everyone knows that these lose their effectiveness over the course of time, not to mention the side effects associated with long term use. Although there are many natural remedies that help certain people with their Post-Herpetic Neuralgia, by far the most promising is Cold Laser Therapy.
In general, patients presenting with PHN usually categorize their pain at a 9 out of 10, which has a large impact on their quality of life and daily activities.... Patients undergoing LLLT [Cold Laser Therapy] normally notice an immediate improvement in pain of approximately 20% to 30% during the administration of the first 3 treatments. During the course of 10 to 15 treatments, patients usually experience 80% to 90% relief of pain and other symptoms. The July 2013 issue of Practical Pain Management
Think for just a moment about why this would be important as far as any healing process is concerned. If you have an abundance of energy in a local area, that energy can be used for repairing or regenerating tissue instead of simply maintaining normal cellular functions. It's sort of like having some extra money at the end of the month to take care of whatever needs to be taken care of. The really cool thing about using Cold Laser Therapy for pain control is that it is not simply masking pain like medications do, but actually healing the tissue. You feel better because you are really better --- not because you took pain meds that only mask the symptoms. The rather amazing thing is that this is not the first study of its kind to look at Cold Laser Therapy for Post-Herpetic Neuralgia. Here are a few of many others.
- The year I graduated from Kansas State University (1988), Dr. Moore and team used Cold Laser Therapy to treat severe PHN patients (all had pain levels of 10 out of 10). On average, they experienced a pain reduction of nearly 75%. When looked at again in 3-6 months, it was found that 80% of these patients still showed the good results from their original treatment with the Cold Laser. One of the conclusions was that, "all patients saw an improvement of at least 40%, which is comparable to the most successful pharmacological treatment, but without the harmful side effects."
- In 1996, Dr. Moore again used Cold Laser Therapy on 20 different PHN patients that had not responded to at least six months of standard medical treatment. Although there was virtually no change in the control group, the Cold Laser group showed pain that went from an average of 10 to an average of 2.
- Dr. Moore came back later that same year with a paper looking at 300 PHN patients treated over a nine year period. It was determined that patients with PHN of the head had over 60% pain relief, while those with PHN on the torso showed nearly 80% pain relief. This study also showed that Cold Laser Therapy was significantly cheaper than conventional methods for treating Post-Herpetic Neuralgia due to Shingles.
- In 1991, Dr. Iijima treated 18 severe PHN patients. The various ways that pain were measured showed that pain diminished by an average of 55% - 65%.
- Again in 1991, Dr. Otsuka's team in Japan showed that treating PHN patients with Cold Laser Therapy showed similar pain blocking effects of nerve block injections. The thing to notice in all these studies is that the effects of the Cold Laser tend to be long term. Nerve blocks are short lived.
- Yet again in 1991, Dr. McKibbin treated 39 patients suffering with long term PHN with a Cold Laser. On average, they showed pain at a level of 8.5 prior to treatment, and 3.3 post-treatment. A year later, their average pain had dropped to less than 3.
- A year before the McKibbin Study, Dr. Hong published his own study showing that 60% of those with PHN that he treated with the Cold Laser were completely out of pain in one year. These were long term PHN patients that had failed to respond to conventional methods.
- Let's go 'old school' and get the time machine out for this one. The year I was a freshman in high school (1981), Dr. Hachenberger had good results treating over 40 PHN patients with Cold Laser.
Treatment is noninvasive, has no adverse effects, and no drug interactions. It can be safely administered over metal implants and pacemakers without concern. The use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is discouraged as they can mask symptoms and interfere with the effects of treatment, which works to expedite and resolve the inflammatory process, rather than suppress it. The July 2013 issue of Practical Pain Management
MEDICAL SURVEY ON GLUTEN SENSITIVITY
Over five thousand medical professionals responded. Out of over 5,000 readers who responded by answering yes or no, the final totals were 54% for fad, 46% for not a fad. I read many of the survey's comments. Interestingly enough, it seemed to me that a fairly vast majority of the commenters (only about 1 in 100 who took the survey actually commented), were on the side of non-celiac Gluten Sensitivity being real as opposed to being a fad. In fact, AUTOIMMUNITY was directly mentioned by many commenters as being directly related to Gluten. Furthermore, some of the specific diseases listed included IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME, CROHN'S DISEASE, Lupus, HYPOTHYROIDISM, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME / INCREASED INTESTINAL PERMEABILITY, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, and many others.
Unfortunately, the results of this survey shows us that a large percentage of the medical population still sees Gluten Sensitivity as a fad (the same as a myth). This means that if you actually get tested for Celiac Disease --- and test negative ---- in their minds, Gluten cannot be the culprit. Millions of Americans know otherwise. The truth is, Gluten is being associated in the peer-reviewed literature with almost every health problem you can imagine --- particularly NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEMS. If you are chronically ill and / or suffering from any number of CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES, you seriously need to take a few minutes and look at the links on THIS PAGE.
MOUNTAIN VIEW ARKANSAS TO MOUNTAIN HOME ARKANSAS
PUSH MOUNTAIN ROAD
My usual riding partner is my wife Amy. But with her at her mom's helping take care of GLYN'S things, it was not difficult to get Malachi to saddle up for a Saturday morning ride. After sticking some new low beams in our YELLOW 2001 GL1800, Malachi and I bundled up and left Mountain View, Missouri at about 6:00 am. It was 58 degrees and clear, with the hi temperature projected to be 78 --- a beautiful day for riding, and a pleasant respite from the flooding of the last couple of weeks. Our route took us through Thayer / Mammoth Springs, where we stopped at Mal Wart to purchase a cheap camera (we got an underwater camera so we can take pictures of our CURRENT RIVER SNORKEL TRIPS), and then on to Old Hardy Town, where we exchanged highway 63 for highway 62.
After heading through Ash Flat and winding our way through some back country roads, we stopped in Franklin (pop. 100?) and ate a delicious breakfast at Calabama Restaurant. We turned onto Lacrosse Road at Violet Hill, and then turned south on 58 just after Melbourne, eventually crossing the White River and coming into Mountain View from 14 South (by the way, this small section of 14 was quite fun to ride). On 58 we started to see bikes. And as we got closer to Mountain View, we saw lots of bikes!
Although we had no idea it was going on, this happened to be the weekend for the annual Mountain Music & Motorcycles rally. Needless to say, Malachi had never seen so many bikes together in one place before. We made a quick loop through Mountain View and saw hundreds upon hundreds of bikes (many Wings, but mostly HD's). After fueling, we made our way to the junction of 5, 14, 9, and the White River. We wound our way up 14 through the town of Fifty Six, and onto 341. Before long, we found ourselves at our destination ---- Push Mountain Road.
All I can say about the curves of Push Mountain Road is WOW! They were everything they were cracked up to be. Although not as famous (or as many hairpins) as the PIG TRAIL out of Eureka Springs or Scenic Seven out of Harrison, PUSH MOUNTAIN ROAD (a few pictures HERE) is actually one of Arkansas' most beloved motorcycle roads for serious riders (although there was little traffic on the road, we did see a few sports bikes really winding it up). The first of the previous two links contains a couple dozen reviews of the road from previous riders, several who actually compare Push Mountain to The Dragon at Deal's Gap.
Although I thoroughly enjoy the twisties, this road as well as many of the roads in Arkansas need to be ridden when the leaves are off in order to get the full effect of the mountains. I love the mountainous scenery and it's hard to see through the forest, even though the road runs along a narrow ridge for the most part. You continually catch glimpses, but the there are just enough trees and underbrush in most places to block a great deal of Push Mountain's magnificent views.
We found our way back to highway 5, heading over to Norfork / Salesville. We took the short detour to ride across the Dam at Norfork Lake and then we were back to Mountain Home and headed home from there. We made it home just after noon, covering just over 250 miles. In all honesty, I must say that I like highways 9 and 58 (both out of Melbourne) far better than Push Mountain Road. Just be aware that my assessment is made on a combination of the road and the scenery as opposed to the road itself. I will, however, be riding Push Mountain Road after the leaves fall ---- my assessment might change. Below are a few pics that Malachi snapped while rolling down the road (click on the pics to enlarge them).
PUSH MOUNTAIN ROAD
PUSH MOUNTAIN ROAD
HEADED NORTH ON 5 OUT OF MOUNTAIN VIEW, ARKANSAS
SOME OF THE BEST VIEWS WERE FOUND ON HIGHWAY 58
WHAT ABOUT CHEAT DAYS?
Tim Ferris, along with numerous others, tells people that they need to follow their diet strictly for 6 days and reserve the 7th day as a cheat day. Others will tell you that it is OK to have one "cheat meal" per week. Some will even say that this "cheating" can be an all out binge ---- just as long as you go back to your healthy way of eating the next meal or the next day ---- which ever way you personally choose to cheat. While this might appear to work OK for some people, there are some inherent problems with regular cheat days.
- THE FOODS PEOPLE DECIDE TO CHEAT WITH ARE USUALLY TERRIBLE: I have been eating LOW CARB for the better part of the past two decades. It is the only way of eating that I can maintain my weight and energy on; not to mention it helps keep MY CHRONIC PAIN LEVEL to almost zero. But I would be lying to you if I told you that I never cheated. Although I stay on the wagon far better than I used to, I still fall off at times. However, I believe that the foods you chose to cheat with are critical to your health and the success of your ability to permanently follow a healthy way of eating. One of the foods that I recommend people go out of their way to avoid on cheat days is Trans Fats. For instance, TRANS FATS have a half-life of around 2 months. This means that the box of Oreos that you wolfed down yesterday, will be staying with you (your cell membranes, hopefully not in the form of TYPE II DIABETES) for much longer than your next couple of trips to the bathroom. Be smart about what you cheat with.
- THEY CAUSE SETBACKS IN THE FORM OF NEUROLOGICAL REACTIONS: Let's say for a moment, that you are eating a PALEO-TYPE DIET because you figured out you are sensitive to Gluten and / or Dairy. Although you may not have debilitating symptoms like some do, you know that when you eat these foods, you feel terrible. Just remember, that for the truly sensitive, it takes as little as 20 parts per billion to set off a reaction. Furthermore, with many potentially-reactive foods (including Gluten), the majority of the symptoms (at least 60%) are NEUROLOGICAL IN NATURE. In other words, many people do not associate things like NEUROPATHY or PARKINSON'S, with Gluten, even though there is a strong relationship to both. To see why cheating can totally undermine certain people's ability to get healthy or lose weight, just GO HERE.
- ADDICTIONS: Not only are lots of people addicted to sugar and high glycemic index starches (HERE), they are often addicted to foods they are sensitive to. Much of this has to do with the "rush" they get from their Adrenal Glands. Although there are many consequences to this, one of the most common is FIBROMYALGIA / ADRENAL FATIGUE. The SUGAR ADDICTIONS, which subsided once you started eating properly, will come raging back every time you break down and choose to fuel them. As a 'dry' sugar / carb addict myself, if you are going to cheat, you have to be very careful to stay on the wagon, because when you do fall off it can get ugly. You have to ask yourself if eating a package of Pop Tarts is worth the several days of intense cravings it is going to ignite. I realize that some of you can eat one bite of mom's chocolate cake and be done with it. But for most people (self included), this would be the equivalent of said alcoholic telling himself he is just going to have one tiny sip of bourbon.
- INFLAMMATION: Everything (all sickness, CHRONIC PAIN, and disease) is INFLAMMATION. In other words, all health problems and disease processes boil down to the amount of Inflammation you have coursing through your body. Is a regular "cheat day" (binge) worth driving Inflammation --- especially when you are doing so well with both your weight and your health? I know from personal experience that many (if not most) of the foods that people tend to cheat with are highly inflammatory. With some people, this inflammation triggers Autoimmune Reactions and other crazy symptoms. Although it is undoubtedly delicious, Autoimmunity is probably not worth that piece of mom's chocolate cake --- no matter how good it tastes.
- YOU BECOME ADDICTED TO CHEAT DAY: I have seen people who literally revolve their lives around their cheat day. Honestly, this is no way to live. You should control what you eat, not the other way around.
IF YOU ARE GOING TO CHEAT (SOONER OR LATER WE
ALL DO) CHEAT ON YOUR OWN TERMS
Falling off the wagon is something that is going to happen from time to time, and for most of us, it's not the end of the world. But if you are going to purposely cheat, plan how, where, and why. Or better yet; treat yourself to something besides food. How about a massage or CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENT? There are numerous things that can be done to treat yourself that do not involve overeating or junking out. And if you've never done it before, make sure to do an ELIMINATION DIET.
AUTOIMMUNITY, HEAD INJURIES, AND THE RELATIONSHIP TO ELVIS PRESLEY'S DEATH
At the time, the public issue and controversy was centering on Elvis' drug use, and whether he died of a heart attack or drug overdose. There was little interest in his underlying medical problems, pain, or why he died at the relatively young age of 42.
Progress in modern pain management finally has provided us with enough scientific knowledge about traumatic brain injury (TBI), autoimmune disease, and pain to unravel his medical history. After piecing the evidence together, it is quite clear to me that Elvis' major disabling medical problems stemmed from multiple head injuries that led to an autoimmune inflammatory disorder with subsequent central pain.
Much to his credit, Dr. Nick gave Elvis the diagnosis of post-concussion syndrome, and believed his headaches were a result of his head injury of 1967. Dr. Nick related to me that, "Elvis was never the same after he hit his head in 1967." Cherry-picked quotes from Dr. Tennant's article below.
If you have had major concussions, head injuries (TBI), or WHIPLASH INJURIES; or if you have CHRONIC PAIN or a history of AUTOIMMUNITY (HERE is a short list of Autoimmune Diseases); or if you are simply intrigued by Elvis' early death, I would strongly suggest that you take a few minutes and read this incredibly fascinating and informative article about the death of the "King of Rock-n-Roll".
ABDOMINAL PAIN IN KIDS
ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION AS ADULTS
"Functional abdominal pain in childhood was associated with anxiety disorder and depression in teens and young adults..... As gastroenterologists we already know there is a strong correlation between the brain and the gut, and it's often unclear what comes first, the pain or the anxiety" Medpage Today on a recent study done at Nashville's Vanderbilt University. The second part of the quote is from Dr. Ritu Verma, chief of gastroenterology at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Over 40% of those with "Functional Abdominal Pain" in childhood, met criteria for having an adult Gastrointestinal Disorder.
- Adult Anxiety was seen in over 50% of the childhood Functional Abdominal Pain group, when compared to the control group (20%).
- Adult Depression was seen in 40% of the childhood Functional Abdominal Pain group, when compared to the control group (just over 15%).
- If you carried Childhood Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders to adulthood, your chances of developing Depression were 414% greater than the general population, and the chances of developing Anxiety were a whopping 731% greater.
Truthfully; knowing what we know about the relationship between the GUT AND BRAIN, should we be surprised by these sorts of statistics? I should say not. In fact, it is probably about exactly what one would expect to see. Let's step into a time machine for a moment, and go back fifty or sixty years. People were not swimming in an ocean of ANTIBIOTICS (from both the MEAT they ate and the doctors they visited). Most people had a GARDEN, and spent time working in the soil (the same bacteria most commonly found in organic soil should be found in your gut as well). If you were admitted to the hospital for anything, the first thing you got was an ENEMA. Why? The medical community still understood that a clean bowel helped people heal better / faster ---- no matter their problem. And while people were certainly clean, they were far less likely to be OVERLY CLEAN like we tend to be today.
If you want to get a handle on any sort of Chronic Illness (including DEPRESSION or AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE), you need to first get a handle on GUT HEALTH. Gut Health is so critical to overall health that I created a website called ENDOGUT (the relationship between the Endocrine System, the Immune System, and the Gut) to help you understand how it all works together. And none of this even begins to address the issue of LEAKY GUT SYNDROME. If you are suffering from Depression, Anxiety, GI Disorders, or a wide array of health problems that could potentially fall into the category of "Functional", take a few minutes to read the links (AS WELL AS THIS).
DEAR DR. SCHIERLING,
CAN YOU HELP ME WITH.........?
I am a (insert your age, sex, and vital statistics here). I am willing to travel from (insert your city, state, and / or country here) if you are (certain / confident / convinced / absolutely positive, can provide some sort of vague guarantee) that you can help me with (insert whatever health issue you are dealing with here ---- CHRONIC PAIN, TENDINOSIS, CHRONIC NECK PAIN, FASCIAL ADHESIONS, PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME, etc, etc, etc). Here is my medical history. Thank you for your time.
(Insert your name here)
Dear Potential Patient,
Because I help lots of desperate people from all over the world whose lives have been turned upside down by CHRONIC PAIN & CHRONIC ILLNESS, I invariably get numerous emails similar to the generic one above --- quite possibly similar to the one you sent me. Although I try to respond to all of them, I am sometimes overwhelmed by the sheer volume (as well as the severity and desperation of so many of these situations).
When it comes to treating patients, unfortunately, being "confident", "positive", or "reassuring", is not in and of itself going to help you get better. Proverbially speaking; the only two things in life that are certain are death and taxes. The truth is, I never know whether I can help a person until after the fact. I would love to tell you otherwise. I would love to hype myself. I would love to sound like I am better or smarter than everyone else. I would love to tell you that I have everything figured out. I would love to be able to tell you in advance how you will respond to my treatment simply by looking at your history. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Although I cannot make you promises, there are steps that I take to assure that everything possible has been done to make your visit to see me as fruitful as possible.
The most important of these is getting a complete history from you via email. I would guess that at least 75% of the emailed histories I get, I either weed people out as far as my ability to help them is concerned (HERE), or put them into the "HIGHLY DOUBTFUL" category. While many problems are easier to speculate whether or not I will be able to help ('speculate' sounds much better than 'guess'), it is simply impossible to know how you will respond until I treat you. HERE is one way that I weed out patients, using Tendinosis as an example. The bottom line is that while I really do care about you and your situation, I do not want you traveling hundreds --- maybe thousands of miles --- to my clinic unless I really think I have a good chance of helping you improve your situation.
If you have watched a few of the TESTIMONIAL VIDEOS, you have undoubtedly seen how rapid the results are in most of the cases I accept. With local patients, it might take a couple of treatments to know if Scar Tissue Remodeling is going to work. However, with our OUT OF STATE AND INTERNATIONAL PATIENTS whom I spend anywhere from 1-3 hours with, you will know in one treatment. For more information, please visit our FAQ page on Tissue Remodeling. Again, my goal is not to sound pessimistic, but to make a potential trip to Mountain View as pleasant and fruitful as possible.
A REAL EXAMPLE FROM EARLIER IN THE WEEK
Hi. I'm approaching 60 and have seriously painful hip joints due to (I'm told) trauma. I have had Skiing crashes, riding in back of a pickup truck crash, fell off a balcony, bicycles etc, all a pretty long time ago. Nothing debilitating at the time. Used to jog about an hour a day. I'm 5'10" 150 lbs.
At around 40 years of age, one hip started to bother me I actually don't recall for sure which hip. I started to limp, particularly during high humidity. The pain has increased over the years. These days I can't walk without a cane or crutch and some days that's more difficult than others. Difficult to pick something up off the floor. Cannot walk up stairs normally.
Two Doctors (one an Orthopedic surgeon) tell me based on X Rays that I need both hips replaced. Bone on bone. The right hip is worse but they're both pretty bad (speaking from my pain point of view). The left might be catching up a bit. I have not scheduled surgery because I can't imagine doing so at least not yet. For roughly the last week I've had what seems to be along the lines of Piriformis Syndrome as described on this website (on the right side of my upper butt). In fact computer surfing trying to figure out the cause of this new weird pain is what somehow led me to this website.
Since this weird new pain appeared I can barely bend forward from a sitting position to put on pants socks or shoes. It almost feels like what I imagine a torn muscle might feel like. I can, however, bend forward from a standing position and touch the floor and this doesn't incur that pain. I don't know if this is a complication of years of limping or what. I am also a drummer. While I can still play I am unable to carry drum stuff around and play out.
People tell me hip replacement is common, not that big deal, etc. I couldn't disagree more. The idea of surgery and possible complications and the fact that fake hips wear out, are a few of a multitude of reasons I do not want to undergo this procedure. Twice. Both hips. I've also been investigating procedures where ones own stem cells are injected into the injured joints.
I find your website is very uplifting to read. Naturally I'm wondering if you think there is a possibility you could help but I realize it might not be possible. In any event your website has a wealth of extremely interesting info. Sorry for such a long email.Thank you for your time.
Would love to tell you that I can help. Unfortunately, bone on bone hips can cause Piriformis Syndrome-like pain. Once you are to that point, you either replace them or you suffer. Although they are doing some amazing things with Stem Cells, I do not know of another alternative once they are this far gone. I'm with you --- I hate surgery also. But a trip to see me now would likely be a waste.
Hello Dr Russ, Thank you for reading my email and responding so quickly. I was kind of afraid you might say that. By the way I have been taking Catalyn for a few years (on and off cause I run out and stuff). Sometimes I attempt to investigate vitamin and supplements, which kind are best, which company is best, etc. There is an incredible amount of confusing nonsense and misinformation on the subject and I naturally always wonder which company funded which study. Seeing as your website speaks highly of Standard Process, I'm sticking with them. Once again I think your website is awesome. Thanks again, Peter
I wish you the best Peter. II totally agree with you about nonsense on the web. If you have a few minutes sometime, go to Standard Process's website and see how they make their supplements. Amazing difference!
CHRONIC NECK PAIN
"Statistically, every American can expect to be in a motor vehicle collision once every ten years. Motor vehicle collisions have been the number one cause of death of our children for decades. Since 9/11 (September 11, 2001), about 3,000 Americans have died as a consequence of terrorism; about 360,000 Americans have died in motor vehicle crashes. Since the start of the American Revolution in 1775, about a million Americans have died in our wars. Since Henry Ford introduced the mass-produced motorcar in 1913, more than 2.5 million Americans have met their deaths on the road. And millions of Americans who did not die from motor vehicle collisions were injured." The world's foremost experts on whiplash, Dr. Dan Murphy says that there are 3,000,000 new cases of whiplash in the US every year. This statement was made by Dr. Murphy several years ago.
By the way, the loss of motion she describes (as well as the CRUNCHING SOUNDS called "crepitus" or "creep") are a (arguably the) major source of SPINAL DEGENERATION. The full Range of Motion that Debra then describes in the video is the result of a single SCAR TISSUE REMODELING TREATMENT given over two years ago. To see more of our TESTIMONIAL VIDEOS on this and other subjects, click the link.
WHAT IS SCAR TISSUE AND HOW IS IT RELATED TO CHRONIC PAIN?
"Scar Tissue is normal tissue that has undergone derangement on virtually every level." Dr. Russell Schierling
- STRUCTURALLY: Look at the pictures above and you'll quickly notice how the individual tissue fibers in Scar Tissue do not align themselves with each other in an organized and symmetrical pattern. Instead, the fibers run every possible direction ---- in all three dimensions, and ifs often going on at a microscopic level that's impossible to visualize with standardized testing (HERE). This structural difference creates microscopic clumps, adhesions, and restrictions, that are also dramatically different from normal tissue.....
- MECHANICALLY: Not only is Scar Tissue different structurally, it is different mechanically (functionally) as well. Where normal tissue is stretchy and elastic, Scar Tissue tends to be stiffer and far more rigid (sometimes it is more like a non-elastic clump), always being referred to in the scientific literature as "THICKENED". This means that any joint or area that is surrounded at all by Scar Tissue will on some level move worse or less (HERE). The problem with loss of motion in joints is that not only is this a huge cause of Chronic Pain, it is the known cause of DEGENERATION as well. And as if that were not enough; Scar Tissue is also significantly weaker than normal tissue, meaning that it is far easier to re-injure ---- and re-injure --- and re-injure ---- and re-injure. Because Scar Tissue is so different structurally and mechanically, it stands to reason that it would also be different..........
- ELECTRICALLY: When compared to normal tissue, Scar Tissue is also different electrically. If you go to our CHRONIC PAIN page, you can see some pictures that help to explain this phenomenon. Just understand that according to one of the world's foremost experts on the subject (DR. CHAN GUNN), Scar Tissue can be more than 1,000 times more pain-sensitive than normal tissue. Once you realize that fascia transmits messages in similar fashion to the nervous system (HERE), you can start to see other reasons besides the obvious that this could be devastating. Hang on because there is still at least one more major way that Scar Tissue is different from normal tissue. It is different......
- METABOLICALLY: Scar Tissue is different than normal tissue metabolically, meaning that it's much more poorly oxygenated. Along similar lines, nor does it receive nutrition, hydration, or fluid lubrication as well as it should. This probably has to do with the fact that even though there is a blood supply to Scar Tissue (it is, after all, living tissue), the blood supply is not nearly as good as it should otherwise be. This also means that it may make it difficult (or impossible) to heal Scar Tissue without first having it THERAPEUTICALLY "BROKEN". By the way, this is why I will occasionally put severe patients on OXYGEN THERAPY while I am doing SCAR TISSUE REMODELING.
As you can see, Scar Tissue is dramatically different than normal tissue on almost every conceivable level. Now let's add to this the fact that much ---- if not most --- of the Scar Tissue that plagues people on a day to day basis is in the FASCIA. Throw in the fact that Fascia cannot be seen with current MRI technology, and it makes for the PERFECT STORM of Chronic Pain. Ultimately, Scar Tissue can cause numerous CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES that all too often leave doctors scratching their heads, accusing patients of malingering, being drug seekers, or both.
The really cool thing though, is that for many of you reading this there is hope. SCAR TISSUE REMODELING is a great way to effectively deal with many of the problems mentioned throughout this post. This becomes an almost "Code Red" situation once you understand that the INFLAMED LIFESTYLE you've been living is either causing or heavily contributing to your problem (HERE). If you feel that Scar Tissue might be part of your Chronic Pain issue, I would suggest you take a few moments to learn more by watching some of our VIDEO TESTIMONIALS. Also be sure and show us some love on FACEBOOK because when you like, share, or follow, you reach the people you love and care about most.
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth of the hole." Ancient Proverb
I have written extensively about what it takes to help yourself with problems like the ones above --- as well as many others (HERE). Why do I say, "help yourself"? Because if you have lived in the world above for any length of time, you are already aware that doctors and modern medicine cannot do it for you. No; mine is not the definitive word on the subject. But if you want to get healthy and start working towards a better life, my website is a good place to start. You see; the old way of thinking about health (I have symptom 'X', what can you give me for it?) is rapidly becoming a thing of the past --- whether you are talking about Western Medicine or natural remedies (HERE).
The only way to effectively lick CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES is to deal with the root of the problem ---- from the ground up, and inside out. THIS is what it looks like and THIS is what can happen when you follow these simple protocols. Spend 15 minutes going link-to-link on my site, and you'll quickly see what I mean. Use this knowledge and make the commitment to re-invent yourself starting today!
INJURED FASCIA AS A MECHANISM FOR CHRONIC PAIN
SHOULDER PAIN AND UPPER BACK PAIN
Chad's case was interesting to say the least. He came to me with CHRONIC UPPER BACK PAIN. Although it had been severe for between a year and two years, it is something he had been dealing with for lots of years for no known reason. After giving him a couple of treatments over his entire back with mediocre results, I decided to shift gears. He felt and looked posturally like he was being pulled forward. I checked for FASCIAL ADHESIONS at his pectoral / deltoid / bicep junction on the front of his body and pow ---- instant relief of the pain (that treatment was given many months ago with no Tissue Remodeling done since).
CHRONIC SHOULDER PAIN: JEREMY
CHRONIC UPPER BACK PAIN: CHAD
CHRONIC PAIN, AUTOIMMUNITY, AND CHRONIC DISEASE:
When it comes to Chronic Pain and Chronic Sickness & Disease, anything can cause anything. Dr. Russell Schierling
I went through my series of examinations and checks and began to work on him. The treatment was making some slight changes in his pain and ability to walk, but nothing to write home about. His SCIATIC PAIN ended in his lateral calf (the L5 dermatome), leading me to believe his problem could very well be related to his lowest spinal vertebrae. However, I could not elicit pain at his L5 (low back) no matter what I did, nor could I find any adhesions in his THORACO LUMBAR FASCIA. What did I find? This man had FASCIAL ADHESIONS in his lateral calf, which, when dealt with, relieved his pain almost immediately and almost 100% (HERE). This allowed him to stand upright and walk without a limp for the first time in several years. I would not have suspected this finding in a million years, but it just goes to show that anything can cause anything.
One of the reasons that the underlying cause of so many Chronic Pain Syndromes are missed is not simply because most doctors do not really grasp the importance of the FASCIAL SYSTEM (HERE and HERE as well), but because few are really willing to think outside the box. I am not picking here --- it's simply the truth. Unfortunately, it's not true only of problems having to do with the musculoskeletal system. While this will not in any way be a new concept to those who are in the field of Natural Healing or FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE, let me give you an example of a mainstream medical journal that is stepping outside of the box, and showing that anything can cause anything in the realm of health, sickness, and disease.
When it comes to AUTOIMMUNITY, America takes the cake. Official government stats tell us that over 20% of our entire population has some sort of Autoimmune Disease (see the first paragraph for a list that can in no ways be considered "comprehensive"). And as crazy as it sounds, many experts feel that this number is actually closer to 50%. No matter how you slice it, Autoimmunity is an American epidemic! What are patients usually told about their Autoimmunity? They come home from their doctor believing they have a problem with their THYROID, BLADDER, TENDONS, FASCIA, a wide variety of BRAIN OR CNS-BASED PROBLEMS, (insert your body part of choice here _____________), etc, etc, etc.
This is a very misleading and incorrect way of looking at Autoimmunity. The problem is not with the body part or organ system that is being attacked by your own Immune System, it's with the Immune System itself. Because this simple fact is either not grasped (or blatantly ignored) by the majority of the medical profession, you will frequently see people suffering with (as well as being treated for) numerous Autoimmune Diseases simultaneously. If you follow along, you'll see why I have always said that Autoimmune Diseases tend to travel like wolves ----- in packs.
Although the peer-reviewed scientific medical literature is absolutely full of studies that show all of this to be true, the mainstream medical community has been slow to catch on to their own profession's research. Fortunately, this is starting to change. Enter a recent article (Integrative Treatment Approaches for Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis) by Dr. Leslie Mendoza Temple of the University of Chicago, as published in the latest issue of Practical Pain Management --- a journal for medical doctors who run "Pain Clinics".
For the most part, these Pain Doctors are doctors who have little interest in finding solutions to patient's underlying problem. This is not because they are heartless, it's simply that they believe that this is an impossible task --- that these patients are so messed up that nothing will help them short of drastic and harsh interventions; interventions that include SHOTS, PAIN MEDS, and procedures (RFA's, CT GUIDED INJECTIONS, IMPLANTED ELECTRICAL OR CHEMICAL DEVICES, etc, etc) to control and cover pain. I must, however, give PPM credit for at least discussing things like the ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET as well as other non-invasive conservative treatments. But when the recent issue carried an article on the relationship between Autoimmunity and Leaky Gut Syndrome, I about fell out of my chair. Listen to what Dr. Leslie Mendoza Temple wrote concerning LEAKY GUT SYNDROME and its relationship to Autoimmunity (by the way, JIA -- Juvenile Idopathic Arthritis used to be called JRA --- JUVENILE RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS).
Increased Intestinal Permeability [one of the many medical terms for Leaky Gut Syndrome] has been implicated in several autoimmune and inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, multiple sclerosis, celiac disease, type I diabetes, asthma, and inflammatory bowel disease. Mielants et al studied ileum [small intestine] biopsies of JIA patients and found a majority with histologic gut inflammation [it can be seen at the cellular level]. Bacteria, antigenic fragments, and primed immune system cells may migrate to joints from distant sites that originated in the 'leaky gut', subsequently promoting synovitis [inflamed joints]. Based on ongoing research, intestinal permeability and its role in autoimmune disease, there is the potential in mitigating diseases like JIA with therapies that can reduce gut permeability.
In her treatment "algorithm" (flowchart), she only wants children treated this way if they do not respond to conventional therapy ("Pharmaceuticals, Sleep, Counseling, and Exercise"). What possible reason could she logically give for not using the natural methods described above (i.e. the methods that actually deal with root causes of autoimmunity) first, instead of playing "Second Fiddle" to drugs? Don't be fooled. These drugs are harsh! A sister article in the same issue of PPM (Advances in Pharmacological Pain Management of Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis --- JRA) and written by the same author, talked about the supposed benefits of a wide range of NSAIDS & ASPIRIN and CORTICOSTEROIDS, IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPRESSORS, DMARD's therapy, Anti-Tumor Necrosis Factor Drugs, chemotherapy drugs such as Methotrexate, as well as a host of others. Trust me when I tell you that the side effects of these drugs are potentially serious to the point of being DEADLY.
The truth is, if you want any hope of healing your Immune System ---- not just covering your symptoms for awhile, but actually dealing with (and defeating) some of the underlying causes of Autoimmunity ---- you will have to step outside the box your doctor has stuck you in. Not only does Dr. Temple do a good job of telling you how to go about doing this, I have written several dozen articles on this topic as well. In fact, I sometimes feel like a broken record.
You could start by reading about and understanding INFLAMMATION. HERE is one such article that puts some of it together for you, giving you at least an idea of where to go from there. And thank you Dr. Tennant for including articles like the one by Dr. Temple above in your journal (thank you also Dr. Temple for this wonderful article!). If the medical profession would take notice of this information and provide a concerted effort get patients to follow the advice given in articles like this one or the one by the venerable Dr. David Seaman, we could make some real headway against this scourge of Autoimmunity here in America.
BURSITIS -vs- TENDINOSIS
IS YOUR PROBLEM BURSITIS, OR SOMETHING ELSE?
The pain that so many doctors attribute to bursitis usually comes from either TENDINOSIS or FASCIAL ADHESIONS. The bursa (plural is bursae) are tiny fluid-filled sacs that act as cushions to prevent tendons from rubbing on bones or other tissues. When INFLAMMATION gets its claws into the bursae, they can swell, calcify (see picture) and become exquisitely painful. The problem is, most patients who are diagnosed with bursitis have neither the calcification on imaging, nor the swelling seen in the picture below.
FAILED BACK SURGERY SYNDROME
I've been scouring the internet for a long time looking for any kind of help I can get for my husband and love of my life. We live in the UK, so setting up a consultation in your office is not going to be possible, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice? Here's a bit about his medical history.
He broke his back when he was 17 (he is now in his 40's). He has had four spinal surgeries which have left him in constant agony. He is at the point where he wants to end his life as he cannot live like this anymore. I am doing everything in my power to try and find help for him!
- Surgery one - Spinal fusion - Failed
- Surgery two - Spinal fusion with steffi plates and bolts - Failed
- Surgery three - removal of plates and bolts and another fusion - Failed
- Surgery four - 2008, they removed part of his spine and replaced it with a steel cage - Failed
Now the doctors wont do anything except give him tablets and new pain medication. His surgeon is refusing any more surgeries.
His back is deteriorating and he is physically changing shape (he says it feels like his spine is splitting apart and the weight of the top half of his body is pushing out his stomach and feels like the spine is moving forward. He also feels that his pelvis is shifting and tilting forward). After all his latest MRI's and x-rays, the doctors are claiming there is no change.
I love this man deeply with all my heart and he now spends 97% of his time laying on his stomach on the living room floor. Walking causes him extreme pain, and sitting is practically impossible for him.
I am at a loss! I don't know what else to do and I was wondering if you could, by what I've told you, let me know if you think any of your treatments would work for him? I would be willing to sell my house to get us over to America. Or even if you could recommend any similar therapists in the UK. I'm just at a loss as to what else I can do to help him!
Eagerly awaiting your reply, and thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
This stuff is tough. Between the MEDS and the CHRONIC PAIN, life is essentially lived in a haze. Although it may not have anything to do with anything, the very first thing I would do is start addressing any SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATION that might be present. HERE is a post for people with generic (mechanical) back pain. Some of this might apply to you, much of it will not. I am sending some information on Spinal Decompression Therapy as well. Would love to do more.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration