TWO MORE PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME VIDEO TESTIMONIALS
| || |
FREE RUNNING AND PARKOUR
According to Wikipedia, Parkour is defined as, "A holistic training discipline using movement that developed out of military obstacle course training. Practitioners aim to quickly and efficiently overcome obstacles in their environment, using only their bodies and their surroundings to propel themselves; furthermore, they try to maintain as much momentum as is possible in a safe manner. Parkour can include running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, quadrupedal movement, and the like, depending on what movement is deemed most suitable for the given situation."
I don't care what you call it, these guys really put on a great show. It also looks like it has to be an amazing full body workout as well. Enjoy.
WHY I RECOMMEND PALEO FOR
NEARLY ALL MY PATIENTS
- CONTROLS BLOOD SUGAR: I have written extensively about BLOOD SUGAR and why it is so critical that it be STRICTLY CONTROLLED ---- hopefully before you are diagnosed with Diabetes (HERE). The truth is, almost every health problem that you can name has origins in Uncontrolled Blood Sugar. The thing you have to remember is that by the time your blood sugar readings actually show that it is uncontrolled, you are probably many years down the path of Chronic Illness (HERE is an example of this phenomenon). Control blood sugar, and the rest will begin to fall into place. Just remember that Diabetes is not necessarily a "blood sugar" problem (HERE).
- CONTROLS WEIGHT: If you want to control your weight, you are first going to have to get a handle on your blood sugar. If you are truly controlling your blood sugar (see the previous link), and are still having problems with your weight, you are either eating something that your body is reacting to (see next bullet), or your GUT is fouled up (maybe both).
- LESS REACTIVE: There are certain foods / food groups that people have a propensity for having immune responses to. In other words, if your body sees certain food-based proteins as foreign (many times this is because you have a LEAKY GUT), you will react to them. When your body reacts, it begins to mount an Immune System attack against these foods (it creates antibodies and attacks them). The two most common Food Sensitivities? GLUTEN and DAIRY (dairy is one of about 45 Gluten Cross-Reactors). These Immune System Responses to certain foods, are known to be a significant factor in developing AUTOIMMUNITY. By the way, all GRAINS (along with any number of other foods) are considered to be "Gluten Cross Reactors. This is why when you do your ELIMINATION DIET, you'll need to do it in a very specific, step-wise manner.
- LESS INFLAMMATORY: When you are cutting SUGAR, CHEMICALS, and Reactive Foods out of your diet, you ultimately end up with far less Inflammation. When it comes to Chronic Illness, you must remember that INFLAMMATION is the driving force behind the vast majority --- even most of those you have had pounded into your head are "GENETIC". Unfortunately, few people have any real idea what Inflammation is, even though the word is bantered around constantly (hint: it is not swelling or infection). It's interesting to note that Dr. David Seaman's ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET is suspiciously similar to Paleo.
- ADEQUATE PROTEIN: The truth is, a Vegan diet (if done correctly) can accomplish all of the previous things on the list. The one big thing, however, that a VEGAN DIET lacks, is the ability to provide adequate protein intake, particularly for those struggling with chronic conditions or chronic pain. I am certainly not saying that it cannot be done, but it is much tougher to get ample amounts of high grade protein from a Vegan Diet.
When you deal with chronically ill, inflamed, and obese people on a daily basis, you quickly figure out what works and what doesn't. PALEO WORKS! And if you are simply looking to maintain good health, don't wait until you are sick to try this way of eating. There are numerous great sources of free info online, or you could click on the first link at the top of the page.
PAIN RELIEF OR A GOLD BRICK
WHICH WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE?
In fact, when you really stop and think about it; getting people out of pain is the same as giving someone their life back. It's like handing them a gold brick and saying, "Here..... this is yours. For keeps." If you have never watched any of our VIDEO TESTIMONIALS, take a few minutes and do so. Many of these people would freely tell you that they were handed a gold brick. In fact, just yesterday I saw a young woman from Paducah, Kentucky (about three hours from us), who immediately after treatment for CHRONIC NECK PAIN, looked at me with tears in her eyes and told me I just gave her her life back. It's why I don't ever plan on retiring.
MOUNTAIN VIEW MISSOURI
I am amazed at how difficult it is to get to Mountain View. But I must admit; the ferry ride was fabulous. An East Coast patient who was in the process of taking an extremely circuitous route from St. Louis. They were crossing AKER'S FERRY at the time.
It was definitely a beautiful drive from Branson. But honestly, three and a half hours of hills and curves just about did me in. A patient who recently flew in to Branson and took highways 160 and 17 to get here, instead of 65 and 60.
I know all the back roads in this area of the country because I am an avid GOLDWINGER. They are fabulous if you are into that sort of thing. But because this is the Ozarks ---- and because we have lots of RIVERS, lakes, and 'mountains' in the general area --- you will almost certainly want to stay on main roads to make your travel both easier and faster. Whichever airport you fly into, or whichever route you chose to drive, make sure to actually look at a map beforehand (in other words, the route that appears shortest might not be the shortest). Otherwise you might end up on the ferry --- and if it happens to be closed, it's a long way around.
ANOTHER DAY IN THE LIFE
VIDEO TESTIMONIALS OF PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC NECK PAIN,
PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME, AND A COMBINATION OF THE TWO
To get everything done that needs to be done, I usually get out of bed between 3:30 and 4:00 am. The first thing I do is a bit of Bible Study. This week, Bible Study was a bigger issue since I was asked to teach at Sunday morning service. I then take the time to answer as many emails as I can. They usually start like this; "Dear Dr. Russ, I have **********. Do you think you can help me? Then I try and throw up a Blog Post. Sometimes this is a new post, or sometimes it might be a post from the 45 or so that are currently be in my "Drafts" file. During this time, I am usually drinking my breakfast ---- something with SP COMPLETE and GREENS in it. When I finish what I am doing (or simply run out of time), I jump in the shower, get dressed, and make the five minute trip to my office.
Although I do not see regular patients on Tuesdays and Thursdays, T&T mornings is when I typically see our OUT-OF-STATE PATIENTS. What do I do the rest of the time on those days? Since we home school, I spend a fair bit of time working with our four kids on Math and Science, as well as History and Bible. If we plan for it, we sometimes get to go to THE RIVER or DO SOMETHING FUN. Needless to say, I am almost always busy working on something.
PATIENT VIDEO TESTIMONIALS
Below are the three Videos we shot yesterday. The first (Daniel) is one man's experience with being relieved of 10 years of CHRONIC NECK PAIN. Second comes Anna's relief after a decade of pain that finally progressed to full-blown PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME with Sciatica. And lastly is Carin's description of what it is like to find a solution to years and years of Chronic Neck Pain and Piriformis Syndrome (by the way, if you are trying to place Carin's accent, it is South African). If you liked the videos on this page, take a look at THESE VIDEO TESTIMONIALS as well. Enjoy!
CHRONIC NECK PAIN
CHRONIC NECK PAIN
REPEATED CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS
"The only thing that seems to help me are Chiropractic Adjustments. But the results simply don't last. Within a few days --- or even hours --- I feel like I need to be adjusted again. What gives?" Millions upon millions of chiropractic patients from around the country.
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have seen patients who are living the scenario from the top of the page. "Dr. Schierling; the only thing that helps my chronic neck and upper back pain are Chiropractic Adjustments. But the results only last (circle your choice) a few hours / a day or two / a week or so. Then my pain returns in the same place and with the same intensity it was previously. What can I do so that I get long-lasting results like the people on your Video Testimonials?". Truthfully, it may be time for a change of scenery (HERE).
When I hear people making comments like those above, the first thing I think of is Scar Tissue. You see; if you have SCAR TISSUE in the form of FASCIAL ADHESIONS, I don't really care if you get adjusted every day (or even twice a day) until doomsday; you are never going to get through the FIBROSIS and affect true change in your spine. The worse the adhesions, the quicker you'll be "out of place" again after your adjustment. Don't believe me? Just take a few minutes to read the previous links and look at a few of our VIDEOS where our patients tell their stories. Although some of these are fairly generic, many are downright astounding.
It's one thing to see a chiropractor who is using repeated adjustments to actually effect change (CBP for instance). It's a whole other animal to get adjusted over and over and over again --- just to get some temporary pain relief in the name of "CHIROPRACTIC MAINTENANCE". While certainly an improvement over the BIG FIVE, it's not getting to the root of the problem. It is all about getting to the root of the problem. My goal is always to get you better as quickly as is humanly possible. To see what a first visit to our clinic looks like, as well as the ridiculous results achieved by recent patients after just one treatment, go HERE and HERE respectively.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell; 1984
Unfortunately, the practice of medicine is fraught with politics, and becoming more so with every passing day. Medical Politics (or political medicine) have undoubtedly brought us some of our best examples of Doublespeak, but my all time favorite is Evidence-Based Medicine. In a nutshell, EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE is, "the conscientious, explicit and judicious use of current best evidence in making decisions about the care of individual patients". Sounds wonderful doesn't it? Sort of 'Utopic'. The problem is, EBM is not Utopia. It's a myth. A hoax. A joke. And a great example of Doublespeak. And let's be brutally honest with each other for a moment. If the "current best evidence" (their words, not mine) is what health care professionals are now using to make vital medical decisions for you and your family; what exactly were they using to make those same decisions five years ago ---- before EBM became the catchphrase dujour? Why do I sound so harsh when discussing this topic? Let me give you one example of hundreds.
About two hours ago, Jill and her husband left my office. They had traveled all the way from Minnesota to see me. You see, Jill has been dealing with life-altering CHRONIC NECK PAIN for the better part of the past 5 years. The thing about her case that is dog-common to most of the other people that I treat, is that she had been through tens of thousands of dollars worth of Evidence-Based Care prior to her appointment with me with nothing to show for it, but a lot of red ink from the debit side of her checkbook. The way she was treated was not only common, it was borderline criminal (who says that crime doesn't pay?). My guess is that if you asked her, she would tell you that she has had her fill of EBM.
The really crazy thing about this story is that Jill actually told her doctors exactly what was wrong with her ---- right down to the tiniest details. They ignored her. They treated her like she was ANXIOUS / DEPRESSED. They told her that her problems were the result of OLD AGE / DEGENERATION. When she mentioned FASCIAL ADHESIONS, they treated her like she was off her rocker. Instead of doing anything to really help her, they busied themselves with giving her CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS, prescribing all sorts of drugs (she rarely took them), doing crazy procedures like Radio Frequency Ablations (burning nerves via a procedure also known as Facet Rhizotomy), and suggesting still more invasive treatments --- and even surgeries. Thankfully, their daughter found us online.
No; I am not able to help EVERY PERSON who comes to see me. However, if you are thinking about making the trip, it might just be a big step toward a new life. Take a few minutes to check out our VIDEO TESTIMONIAL PAGE. We hear about example after example of scientists fudging their results and faking the "evidence" on an almost daily basis (HERE is a great example). But as I have always said; you can't fake good results. The PROOF IS IN THE 'PROVERBIAL' PUDDING.
AND THE RELATIONSHIP TO SICKNESS, DISEASE, AND CHRONIC PAIN
“The longer the individual has had Fibromyalgia [Chronic Pain], the greater the gray matter loss, with each year of fibromyalgia being equivalent to 9.5 times the loss seen in normal aging”. McGill University Center for Research, from The Journal of Neuroscience
- Do acidic foods upset your stomach?
- Do you get chilled easily?
- Are your hands and feet cold and clammy?
- Do you find it difficult to relax?
- Do you gag easily or frequently have a 'lump' in your throat?
- Are you startled easily?
- Does your pulse race after you eat --- particularly if you eat carbohydrates?
- Do you find yourself sick often, yet heal slowly?
- Are you sensitive to bright lights?
- Do you have digestive problems?
- Do you struggle with an array of pains that doctors have characterized as 'Neuralgia'?
If you can answer "yes" to very many of these questions, you may well be living in a state of Sympathetic Dominance. Allow me to explain.
We live in a pedal-to-the-metal, maximum overdrive society. It seems that we are always under deadlines and running behind. There are never enough hours in the day to accomplish all we need to do. And then we tend to crash in front of the TV for several hours every evening. On top of that, despite spending more dollars on healthcare than any nation on the planet, we are one of the most chronically ill societies the world has ever seen --- and it's getting worse with every passing generation (HERE). If you want to begin to nip your emotional and health problems in the bud, you'll have to have at least a cursory understanding of the Nervous System.
In a very over-simplified explanation, the Nervous System is made up of three parts. There is the ENTERIC SYSTEM, which is what is frequently referred to as the BRAIN / GUT. Then you have the Sympathetic Nervous System and the Parasympathetic Nervous System. These two parts of the Nervous System are antagonistic to each other, and are always trying to influence your body in opposite directions. Pay attention.
- THE SYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEM: This is your "fight or flight" system (your adenergic or adrenaline-based / epinepherine-based system ---- also known as the Sympathetic-Adrenal Response). It is your Sympathetic Nervous System that makes your heart race when the phone rings at 3:00 am. Or if a car pulls out in front of you and you have to jam on your brakes. Or while you are waiting to find out why the boss wanted to see you in his office at 5:00 on Friday afternoon. It is also the Sympathetic Nervous System that stimulates your Adrenal Glands to action. Other things associated with Sympathetic Response includes things like increased heart rate and contraction of vessels, sweating, dilated pupils, dilated lung passages, and orgasm.
- THE PARASYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEM: On the other hand, the parasympathetic nervous system works in an opposite manner. It is often referred to as the "rest-and-digest" or "feed and breed" part of the nervous system. The Parasympathetic Nervous System is responsible for things like digestion, sexual arousal, and activities associated with using the toilet (peristalsis --- the movement of food through the digestive tract).
Let me give you a "real life" example of how these two systems work together to help you survive and thrive. You are out hunting deer in the Mark Twain National Forest. You ate a nice breakfast of farm eggs and homemade beef sausage a couple of hours ago, and now you feel satisfied --- rested --- almost drowsy while sitting in your tree stand. You are in a state of being that is heavily weighted toward Parasympathetic Control.
All of a sudden, you hear a crashing through the underbrush. The next thing you know, you are staring at a 10 foot tall Sasquatch from about 20 yards away. Your Sympathetic Nervous System goes into overdrive and stimulates your Adrenal Gland to dump a boatload of epinephrine into your blood stream. As the switch from Parasympathetic to Sympathetic occurs, your sphincters relax (you wet and soil yourself), your digestion comes to an almost instant halt as blood supply is shunted away from your digestive organs to your legs --- so that you can run if you need to, the passageways to your lungs open up, and your heart goes into high gear to supply the blood necessary to run like the wind.
Now; stop and imagine that something similar to this is your normal state of being. Although this example was quite radical, the truth is that a huge percentage of the American population is living in some degree of Sympathetic Dominance. Due to stress, whether physical, emotional, psychological, dietary, etc, the Sympathetics are being stimulated and the Adrenal Glands are firing ---- almost non-stop. These people tend to live in a state of stress, fear, worry, anger, and resentment. Think it through. What are some of the classic signs of Sympathetic Dominance? Lets see if we can name just a few, using the picture at the top of the page, as well as the bullet points above.
Firstly, your food is going to move very slowly through your digestive tract. This means that not only is your digestion going to stink, you are likely to end up constipated as well (as the body tries to compensate, you get the wild swings to diarrhea that are seen with IBS). Because the digestive tract is not secreting well, you get a diminished amount of stomach acid present (as crazy as it sounds, this is one of the major causes of all sorts of DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS). You find your LIBIDO IS DROOPING, you have HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, and Chronic Pain ---- your Adrenal Glands are so overworked that they are going into ADRENAL FATIGUE. Oh, let's throw insomnia in there now as well. Some of the other commonly seen symptoms of Sympathetic Dominance includes things like....
- MIGRAINE HEADACHES: HERE is a good link. Be aware that while many chronic Migraine sufferers are Sympathetic Dominant, many of these are the result of SCAR TISSUE.
- ADD / ADHD / DEPRESSION / ANXIETY / FORGETFULNESS / BRAIN FOG: HERE and HERE are a couple of good links.
- DRY SKIN / DRY EYES / DRY MOUTH:
- BLADDER INFECTIONS / UTI'S:
- CHRONIC PAIN: HERE
THE SOLUTION TO SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE
Dealing with these two factors is going to solve most cases of Sympathetic Dominance. However, if these steps do not work, make an appointment with a FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGIST trained by Dr. Ted Carrick. If your problem is BRAIN BASED, this approach is a must. Since I have been doing Mineral Hair Analysis for about 15 years, HERE is a link on Sympathetic Dominance from that approach as well. To see my other posts on Sympathetic Dominance, HERE, HERE and HERE are the links.
NEW RESEARCH SHOWS THAT COLD LASER DRAMATICALLY HELPS PEOPLE WITH SHINGLES-INDUCED NEURALGIA
"Although the rash typically resolves over the course of 4 to 5 weeks, the pain may persist for months, or even years, after the rash has disappeared. Known as PHN (Post-Herpetic Neuralgia), this phenomenon can often be debilitating to the patient." The July 2013 issue of Practical Pain Management
The standard treatment for severe cases of Shingles has always been anit-viral drugs like Acyclovir. However, what is a person supposed to do when the Shingles themselves are gone, and the Neuralgia remains? Pain pills are a short term option, but everyone knows that these lose their effectiveness over the course of time, not to mention the side effects associated with long term use. Although there are many natural remedies that help certain people with their Post-Herpetic Neuralgia, by far the most promising is Cold Laser Therapy.
In general, patients presenting with PHN usually categorize their pain at a 9 out of 10, which has a large impact on their quality of life and daily activities.... Patients undergoing LLLT [Cold Laser Therapy] normally notice an immediate improvement in pain of approximately 20% to 30% during the administration of the first 3 treatments. During the course of 10 to 15 treatments, patients usually experience 80% to 90% relief of pain and other symptoms. The July 2013 issue of Practical Pain Management
Think for just a moment about why this would be important as far as any healing process is concerned. If you have an abundance of energy in a local area, that energy can be used for repairing or regenerating tissue instead of simply maintaining normal cellular functions. It's sort of like having some extra money at the end of the month to take care of whatever needs to be taken care of. The really cool thing about using Cold Laser Therapy for pain control is that it is not simply masking pain like medications do, but actually healing the tissue. You feel better because you are really better --- not because you took pain meds that only mask the symptoms. The rather amazing thing is that this is not the first study of its kind to look at Cold Laser Therapy for Post-Herpetic Neuralgia. Here are a few of many others.
- The year I graduated from Kansas State University (1988), Dr. Moore and team used Cold Laser Therapy to treat severe PHN patients (all had pain levels of 10 out of 10). On average, they experienced a pain reduction of nearly 75%. When looked at again in 3-6 months, it was found that 80% of these patients still showed the good results from their original treatment with the Cold Laser. One of the conclusions was that, "all patients saw an improvement of at least 40%, which is comparable to the most successful pharmacological treatment, but without the harmful side effects."
- In 1996, Dr. Moore again used Cold Laser Therapy on 20 different PHN patients that had not responded to at least six months of standard medical treatment. Although there was virtually no change in the control group, the Cold Laser group showed pain that went from an average of 10 to an average of 2.
- Dr. Moore came back later that same year with a paper looking at 300 PHN patients treated over a nine year period. It was determined that patients with PHN of the head had over 60% pain relief, while those with PHN on the torso showed nearly 80% pain relief. This study also showed that Cold Laser Therapy was significantly cheaper than conventional methods for treating Post-Herpetic Neuralgia due to Shingles.
- In 1991, Dr. Iijima treated 18 severe PHN patients. The various ways that pain were measured showed that pain diminished by an average of 55% - 65%.
- Again in 1991, Dr. Otsuka's team in Japan showed that treating PHN patients with Cold Laser Therapy showed similar pain blocking effects of nerve block injections. The thing to notice in all these studies is that the effects of the Cold Laser tend to be long term. Nerve blocks are short lived.
- Yet again in 1991, Dr. McKibbin treated 39 patients suffering with long term PHN with a Cold Laser. On average, they showed pain at a level of 8.5 prior to treatment, and 3.3 post-treatment. A year later, their average pain had dropped to less than 3.
- A year before the McKibbin Study, Dr. Hong published his own study showing that 60% of those with PHN that he treated with the Cold Laser were completely out of pain in one year. These were long term PHN patients that had failed to respond to conventional methods.
- Let's go 'old school' and get the time machine out for this one. The year I was a freshman in high school (1981), Dr. Hachenberger had good results treating over 40 PHN patients with Cold Laser.
Treatment is noninvasive, has no adverse effects, and no drug interactions. It can be safely administered over metal implants and pacemakers without concern. The use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is discouraged as they can mask symptoms and interfere with the effects of treatment, which works to expedite and resolve the inflammatory process, rather than suppress it. The July 2013 issue of Practical Pain Management
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration