MAGAZINES IN MY OFFICE?
| || |
OVER THE ROAD TRUCK DRIVERS JIM AND TED
PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME CURE IN A NURSE
FIXING A TRUCK DRIVER WHO HAS STRUGGLED WITH PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME FOR OVER A DECADE
CHRONIC PAIN'S "PERFECT STORM"
I just got an email this morning from an individual who had a joint replacement that failed to heal properly. Every subsequent medical "fix" failed to work as well. The result? Chronic Pain caused by massive amounts of SCAR TISSUE. But this begs the question as to why Fascia is the perfect tissue for creating Chronic Pain's Perfect Storm. Allow me to give you some of the main reasons that Fascia is the tissue prone to causing Chronic Pain in a manner that tends to stump so much of the medical profession so often.
- FASCIA IS ARGUABLY THE MOST PAIN-SENSITIVE TISSUE IN THE BODY: In and of itself, this is a huge deal. But when you find out that Fascia is also the most abundant Connective Tissue in the body, you can see a Perfect Storm of Chronic Pain brewing on the horizon. This is especially true when you couple this with the fact that..........
- FASCIA IS NOT WELL-IMAGED WITH EVEN THE MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED TESTING PROCEDURES SUCH AS MRI: Contrary to what you might hear from your doctor, most fascia (other than the thick TENDON-LIKE fascia of the PLANTAR FASCIA) will not show up on diagnostic imaging (HERE). People are led to believe that even though X-rays will not show scar tissue, MRI AND / OR CAT SCANS will show anything and everything that is wrong with you. Those of you who have dealt with Soft Tissue-Based Chronic Pain Syndromes (HERE) know that this is simply not true. It's a huge myth. And furthermore...........
- SCAR TISSUE CAN BE OVER 1,000 TIMES MORE PAIN SENSITIVE THAN NORMAL TISSUE: This can be the final straw --- the one that breaks the proverbial camel's back. Think about it for a moment. You have tissue that cannot be seen with even the most advanced diagnostic imaging technologies, yet is the most pain-sensitive tissue in the body; and injuring it (whether traumatically, repetitively, or POSTURALLY) can cause microscopic adhesion and Scar Tissue. According to one of the preeminent experts on the subject, scar tissue has the potential to be incredibly pain-sensitive ---- up to 1,000 times more pain-sensitive than normal tissue (HERE). On top of all this......
- TOO MANY DOCTORS DO NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEMS THEY ARE DEALING WITH, NOR DO THEY STAY CURRENT WITH THE MOST UP-TO-DATE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH: I am not trying to nitpick here. Correctly diagnosing a person's problem is not always easy. In fact, sometimes it can be all but impossible. And it takes a significant amount of time to stay up on what the latest medical research is saying. But when common problems are either completely misunderstood, or all but totally ignored; rest assured that effective treatment cannot be rendered (HERE). The best (or worst as the case may be) that you can hope for is to be introduced to "THE BIG FIVE" and given referrals to specialists who will do the same.
WHAT DO THESE SORTS OF THINGS LEAD
TO DURING YOUR DOCTOR VISIT?
- DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS LOOKS AND MADE UP EXPLANATIONS: When the cause of your complaint is based on FASCIA, don't be surprised if it garners all sorts of odd responses from the medical profession. I have heard an array of "made up" answers that would be comical if the situation weren't so downright desperate. Or you may just get that blank look like you were an alien from the planet Neptune. Both are common. So is throwing it in that bucket labeled "FIBROMYALGIA" or "DEPRESSION" and moving on to the next patient.
- YOUR DOCTOR BLAMES YOUR PROBLEM ON AGE OR "ARTHRITIS": "After all Mr. Jones; you just aren't as young as you used to be ---- your bones are old and arthritic, and that's why you hurt." This is possibly the single most common response to these sorts of problems. They blame it on your age, whether you are 30 or 90. I see this every single day in practice. ARTHRITIS is an all-too-popular scapegoat. The truth is, I have seen thousands of patients over the years with aches and pains that are far less than you would expect to see based on the severity of their X-rays / MRI's. Trust me when I tell you that scientific study after scientific study tells us that it is impossible to gauge what a person's pain level will be based solely on diagnostic imaging. Frankly, it's time for doctors to take up the cause for educating people about the fact that Inflammation (aka "itis") always leads to Fibrosis (the medical name for "Scar Tissue") --- HERE.
- IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD: This is one of the most sickening aspects of the medical community's attempting to explain the sequelae of the "Perfect Storm". It's all in your head. Instead of just saying, sorry, I'm not sure what's going on here, it's far easier to put all of the blame back on the patient. Truthfully, there are some days that I feel I spend far too much time telling patients that I am not sure why they are hurting like they are. Most people in this category are accused of being Depressed DEPRESSED and given all sorts of DRUGS. The reality is that many of these people have varying degrees of SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE.
- YOU ARE TREATED LIKE A DRUG-SEEKER: My brother and sister in law are both E.R. Physicians. They, along with anyone in the medical profession, can tell you that DRUG SEEKING is a real problem here in America. Although many doctors want to throw drugs at you just to get you out of their offices, a large group will simply tell you to take IBUPROFEN --- no matter how bad your pain is. Neither is a good solution. The first is covering up symptoms without ever addressing the underlying cause of those symptoms. The second means that your doctor does not believe your pain is nearly as bad as you are telling them it is. Oh sure Mrs Jones, you have pain, but it just cannot be all that bad, can it? The problem is that many people with legitimate and severe issues with Chronic Pain are thrown under the bus when they are put in either category.
- YOU ARE ACCUSED OF BEING ONE OF THE MANY PEOPLE USING SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY AS A FORM OF "EARLY RETIREMENT": Unfortunately, the size of this group is rapidly increasing as well. However, it becomes far too easy to blow folks off and assume that they are scam artists --- just because they are complaining about Chronic Pain that the doctor(s) cannot find the source of. This is not a surprise considering what you learned earlier in this post.
- YOU HAVE BAD GENETICS: This is sort of like lawyers who play the race card. Instead, doctors tend to play the "Genetics Card". Tell people that all of their problem are due to bad genes so it's not their fault --- they have virtually nothing to do with it. To understand how misguided this sort of 'advice' really is, read a little about the field of EPIGENETICS.
*** WHAT IT ALL MEANS TO YOU; THE SUFFERING PATIENT ***
The reality of this situation is that patients are not always guiltless in the process of helping to create the "Perfect Storm". Far too many Americans are not careful about the FOODS THEY EAT or the amount of DAILY ACTIVITY they get ---- they are not taking an active role in their own health. And the truth is; there are fakers, drug seekers, and psycho-somatics running around out there and eventually making their way to the doctor's office. But every time I treat someone like PAM (a woman who spent years being accused of every single one of the excuses above) or BONITA, I realize that doctoring often requires some detective work that goes beyond the usual diagnostic tests.
If you are one of those people who think their problem might be related to FASCIAL ADHESIONS or other problems of the Elastic, Collagen-Based Connective Tissues, just send me a detailed history via EMAIL, or give Cheryl a call at (417) 934-6337. If I think that I can help you, I will. If I think that you might be better served by seeing another healthcare provider, I will tell you that as well (HERE). My reputation has been built not only on helping people with difficult-to-solve cases (HERE), but by figuring out when people have something that is not treatable in this clinic (HERE). Oh, and for those of you who are interested in solving your problem(s) on your own, HERE is a fantastic starting point for most of you.
(POLY-CYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME)
AN AMERICAN EPIDEMIC
Diet-induced reduction in circulating insulin may be an attractive non-pharmacological treatment for women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Lower Carbohydrate diet induced significant decreases in fasting insulin, fasting glucose, total testosterone, and all cholesterol measures, and significant increases in insulin sensitivity. In women with PCOS, reduction in dietary carbohydrate in the context of a weight-maintaining diet has numerous beneficial effects on the metabolic profile that may lead to a decrease in circulating testosterone. Quotes were cherry-picked from a study by Dr. Barbara A Gower (UAB School of Medicine) called, Favourable Metabolic Effects of a Lower-Carbohydrate Diet in Women with PCOS. From the May 20, 2013 issue of the medical journal Clinical Endocrinology.
Any time someone refers to a certain health issue as a distinctly 'American' epidemic, rest assured that is has a great deal to do with our diet and lifestyle. And for my readers in other parts of the Westernized world, also realize that you are rapidly catching up. After all, the SAD (Standard American Diet) is bad --- really bad --- and getting worse with each successive generation, as well as making its way to every corner of the earth. So, what does a poor diet have to do with a distinctly hormonal problem like polycystic ovaries? We'll get to that in a moment, but before we do, let's first discuss what PCOS is, what it looks like, and how to best diagnose it. All of this is critical because PCOS is said to be the number one most common female hormonal disorder in the U.S.
WHAT IS PCOS?
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF PCOS?
- Disturbances of the Menstrual Cycle
- High Levels of the Male Hormone Testosterone
- Obesity / Blood Sugar Issues
Some of the other main signs / symptoms of PCOS include:
- Weight Gain (particularly BELLY FAT), OBESITY, INSULIN RESISTANCE (Metabolic Syndrome), and eventually Diabetes (HERE)
- Any Sort of Abnormal Periods / INFERTILITY
- Hirtusism (Overly Hairy) / Male Pattern Baldness
- HIGH CHOLESTEROL / HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE / Heart Disease / Heart Attack
- Dandruff and Oily Skin / ACNE (sometimes there are dark patches on the skin related to Insulin Resistance called Acanthosis Nigricans. These are darkened velvety areas often seen on the neck, under the arms, under the chin, in the groin, or on the chest.
- Mood Imbalances and Psychiatric Problems (see the March 2014 issue of the Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research)
- Breathing Difficulties / SLEEP APNEA
- Dramatically Increased Levels of INFLAMMATION. This ultimately leads to a wide array of INFLAMMATORY DISEASES.
Just remember that the The "Unhappy Triad" of PCOS refers to three chief symptoms --- symptoms that are so common that women with these symptoms are said to be "Textbook Cases". Hirsutism caused by excess testosterone, Odd Periods, and Obesity. If you have these symptoms, you could probably skip the next section (but I wouldn't recommend it). Some of the symptoms of PCOS look like HASHIMOTO'S THYROIDITIS (Autoimmune Hypothyroid), and it is common to see women with both. In fact, we know that PCOS is a common trigger of all AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, including Hashimoto's.
Here is the thing to remember about Testosterone. Not only is this predominantly male hormone involved in the male sex drive, it also happens to be the hormone that drives the FEMALE LIBIDO as well. The problem is that EXCESSIVE LEVELS OF INSULIN (caused by Uncontrolled Blood Sugar) drive the hormone thru the stratosphere. To a point, higher testosterone levels can actually increase female sex drive (something that happens in some women with PCOS). However, once that point has been reached, too much "T" has a libido-squelching effect on women.
HOW DOES MY DOCTOR DIAGNOSE PCOS?
When people eat too many sugary or starchy foods, blood sugar climbs rapidly and sharply. The body cannot tolerate this, so it releases the storage hormone insulin to remove excess sugar from the blood and move it into the cells where it can either be burned or stored as fat. When the body's insulin production cannot keep up with the amount of starches or sugars being consumed, Insulin Resistance is the result. Because the body's insulin receptors literally become choked with insulin, these people require higher and higher levels to lower their blood sugar, and are characterized as having high levels of both glucose and insulin in their blood simultaneously -- a phenomenon that is never good.
If you are diagnosed with PCOS, there is a pretty good chance that your doctor is correct. This is simply because PCOS is so prevalent in our society. The brilliant Functional Neurologist / Endocrinologist Datis Kharrazian says in his "Thyroid Book" that according to the most up-to-date research and statistics, the largest percentage of America's female hormonal problems are the result of PCOS. This despite the fact that most are never officially diagnosed. This means that PCOS is definitely more common than the 5% - 10% that is commonly thrown around in most of today's "What is PCOS?" articles. Why is this a big deal. Besides the symptoms listed above, PCOS is known to be associated with numerous bad health problems ----- really bad health problems.
HEALTH RISKS FOR PCOS
- Metabolic Syndrome / Diabetes HERE
- Heart Disease
- Certain Types of CANCER
- Dramatically Increased Levels of INFLAMMATION
I could go on, but you should be getting the drift. This stuff is as serious as a heart attack --- literally! The four things on the list above include the #1, #2, and #7 killers in America (not in that order). Now do you see why it is important to deal with this problem?
WHY DID I GET PCOS?
- Poor Genetics Doctors have not yet found a genetic link, but the "blame-it-on-my-parents-bad-genes" thing seems to play well in today's society (HERE).
- Estrogen Exposure This excess estrogen often comes from the meat we eat. However it also comes from anything with a chemical smell. Please learn about Xenoestrogens by clicking HERE.
HOW WOULD I BEST GO ABOUT TREATING MY PCOS?
A diet containing 25% carbohydrates improved insulin resistance, whereas a diet that included 45% carbohydrates did not. -International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders; 20 no. 12:1067-1072
There are many different things your doctor may suggest you do in order to control this disease. By far the most common is to start you on the Birth Control Pill. They may want you on some sort of Testosterone Blocking Drug. They often give you fertility drugs or Diabetes Drugs. The bottom line is that all of these treatments address symptoms while doing absolutely nothing about the underlying causes of those symptoms --- a common feature in the practice of Medicine. Interestingly enough however, even the medical community is saying that drugs and surgery are not really the best choice for effectively dealing with PCOS. What do they say works the best for women with Poly Cystic Ovaries?
- Exercising Regularly (just be sure to do it the RIGHT WAY)
- Eating Healthy Foods / Taking Nutritional Supplements that 'De-congest' the Liver (your liver must process all of the excess hormones --- HERE)
- Controlling your Weight (I have seen numerous women get their female problems under control by simply loosing 10lbs).
It's true. These are the top methods of dealing with PCOS --- not to mention just about every other health problem we commonly deal with. Unfortunately, these are also things that your doctor cannot do for you. They are things that require a great deal of discipline and sticktoitiveness. Let me give you three excellent resources for doing what your doctor should suggest.
THIS POST. Also be aware that sugar turns men into women, and women into men (HERE).
GUT FLORA AND METABOLIC SYNDROME
A recent study of the Old Order Amish from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania was done to determine how the bacteria found in the gut (aka "flora") related to several aspects of health. The results of the study were amazing. It was learned that at least 25 different species of bacteria affect people either positively or negatively depending on whether they are there or not. In other words, the presence of certain bacteria was proven bad, while the presence of other bacteria was shown to be good. Likewise, the absence of certain bacteria in these people's gut bode well for them, while the absence of certain others bode ill. And what were the two specific health factors being looked at? BMI and Metabolic Syndrome.
BMI stands for Body Mass Index, and short of underwater weighing (or looking honestly at yourself in the mirror) is probably the best cheap and simple way of determining whether you are overweight, and just how overweight you are. Metabolic Syndrome is essentially an early form of Heart Disease and DIABETES, which is loosely characterized as having any two of the following.
- High Blood Pressure
- High Triglycerides
- A Large Waist / Central Obesity (Women greater than 35 inches, and Men greater than 40 inches) or a BMI over 30
- Increased Fasting Blood Sugar
- Increased C-Reactive Protein (the best blood-borne marker of INFLAMMATION)
- Reduced HDL (so called "Good" Cholesterol) or increased LDL (so called "Bad" CHOLESTEROL)
- Small Amounts of Protein (Albumin) in the Urine
The bottom line is that there are no drugs that are going to "fix" or prevent this problem. A smart diet of WHOLE FOODS and fermented foods (as well as PROBIOTIC SUPPLEMENTATION) is huge as far as your health is concerned. However, you need to be aware that for some serious cases, you may need to take some more "extreme" measures (HERE, HERE, & HERE). To see the big picture regarding the role of GUT HEALTH in overall health, just follow the link.
60 MINUTES INTERVIEWS ROBERT LUSTIG ON SUGAR & PROCESSED CARBOHYDRATES
Lustig obtained his bachelors degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1976, and received his M.D. from Cornell University Medical College in 1980. From there, he spent six years as a research associate in neuroendocrinology at The Rockefeller University. He performed his pediatric residency at St. Louis Children's Hospital, and his clinical fellowship at University of California San Francisco which he joined in 1984. He has authored over 85 research articles and 45 book chapters. He is the former Chairman of the Obesity Task Force of the Pediatric Endocrine Society, a member of the Obesity Task force of The Endocrine Society, and on the Steering Committee of the International Endocrine Alliance to Combat Obesity. On May 26, 2009, Lustig gave a lecture called “Sugar: The Bitter Truth”, which is posted on YouTube. The video has gone viral.
SUGAR: THE BITTER TRUTH
VIDEO COURTESY OF UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA (UCTV)
- Fructose causes high uric acid levels, that lead to both High Blood Pressure and gout. I blogged about this (HERE) almost a year ago.
- Fructose causes your liver to synthesize fats, which leads to high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and heart disease.
- Fructose causes Insulin Resistance (high levels of blood sugar and insulin simultaneously), which in turn causes Type II Diabetes --- a problem now being seen in grade school children.
- Fructose increases fat deposits in the liver. The number one cause of fatty liver and Cirrhosis is not alcohol abuse ---- it's sugar consumption.
- Unlike other foods, Fructose does not reduce the hunger hormone ghrelin. Ghrelin by way of affecting both insulin and the hormone leptin, tells the brain to stop eating. No Ghrelin, and you keep on eating ----- fructose.
- Fructose feeds cancer. Although the 60 Minutes interviewer oooohed and ahhhhhhed over the research on this topic, it has been common knowledge for decades. Simply do a Google search on "SUGAR FEEDS CANCER" and see what comes up. I promise you'll be freaked out --- even though the medical community is doing their best to bury this information.
By any measure, Americans consume a lot of sugar. Even the conservative estimates say that Americans are eating between 1/3 and 1/2 lb of sugar per person per day, with no end in sight. One of my most popular blog posts ever was on this very topic; unbridled sugar consumption and the affect of uncontrolled blood sugar on our health. It is the transcript of a talk that I delivered to our local Rotary club about six months ago ----- a short, two part series called, THE NUMBER ONE HEALTH PROBLEM IN AMERICA TODAY. If you are interested in getting off the sugar, go back and click on the link just below Dr. Lustig's video.
HARRY TRUMAN SAVED MY LIFE
I was jawing with G.W. in the office the other day and listening to some incredible stories. You see, G.W. was an infantryman on an island called Paupa New Guinea. I asked him the question that I ask all veterans of the war against the Japanese ---- Do you agree with our government's decision to drop the bomb? His answer was not only telling; it was the answer that I have heard veteran after veteran after veteran give (including the vets who fought the Germans) ---- "Harry Truman saved my life".
Harry Truman was back in the news today because of his grandson. It seems that Clifton Truman Daniel met today for meetings and "dialogue" with survivors of the bombs that fell on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. One of the survivors said, "Since he is a grandson, he has no direct responsibility......" I believe that most veterans are not thrilled about what happened to Japanese civilians in those bombings --- many of them women and children. But to say that we should not have done what we did is to revise history. Forget about Political Correctness for a moment. Let's get back to how it used to be in this country and call a spade a spade.
If you want to understand why we had to bomb Japan, you simply need to speak with the men that were there --- those who survived. I might also suggest a few books on the subject as well. These are just a few that I have in my personal library.
- E. Bartlett Kerr's Surrender and Survival: The Experience of American Pow's in the Pacific 1941-1945 (HERE)
- Death March: The Survivors of Bataan by Donald Knox (HERE)
- Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission by Hampton Sides (HERE). This is the book that the 2005 movie, The Great Raid was based on. Rent it if you have not seen it!
- Tennozan (HERE)
The last book on the list is the most graphic and well-written of several books about the battle for Okinawa. When you begin to understand what it cost in American materials and lives to subdue the well-fortified but poorly supplied Japanese soldiers on this relatively small island, you will understand why the projected casualties of our armed forces were estimated to be at least 1,000,000 (yes; one million) in the event of an all out invasion of Japan --- an invasion that was projected to take several years to complete. In fact, one of the slogans of the Pacific soldiers was "Golden Gate in 48". Because of Harry Truman, the war ended in 1945.
Do I have anything against the Japanese people? Certainly not. In different years, my sister and I were short-term exchange students in Japan. In the early eighties, my family also had the privilege of hosting two different exchange students from Japan as well. The Japanese are a humble and industrious people that Americans could undoubtedly take lessons from in numerous areas. I also think that it's probably a good thing that we "dialogue" with Japan on this issue. However, do not ever discount G.W. and the millions of Americans who survived WWII (HERE is another). They are the ones who know what it was like to be there. Take a minute and talk to a vet today (thank them while you are at it). And if you ask them about the two bombs that were dropped on Japan 67 years ago this month, you're almost certain to hear, "Harry Truman saved my life". More than likely, they're right.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration