WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN HEADACHES AND NECK PAIN?
Did you catch the first sentence of the top quote above? "Headaches and neck pain are reported to be among the most prevalent musculoskeletal complaints in the general population". Even though the AOA says that more than a quarter of all Americans suffer with CHRONIC NECK PAIN, according to an April 2012 Gallup Poll, that number is approximately 33%. Any way you slice it, that is an insane number of people --- tens of millions --- that are regularly dealing with chronic pain that's directly related to their neck. Throw in the statistics from the American Headache Foundation concerning MIGRAINES ("Over 45 million Americans get chronic, recurring headaches. This is more than the 33 million sufferers of asthma, diabetes and coronary heart disease combined. 29.5 million suffer from migraines annually."), and you can see that this problem could legitimately be called an epidemic. Now, listen to what the AHF says about these chronic headaches and their relationship to neck pain.....
What does this paragraph tell me? It says that nearly 4 out of 5 sufferers of HEADACHES have what are labeled as "TENSION HEADACHES". Although they characterize this pain as "generalized", these people's pain tends to follow a distinct pattern. A Tension Headache will usually start in the area where the skull meets the neck (where all the muscles attach --- HERE), and as it gets worse, it travels over the head to end up in the area around the temple, forehead, and eyes. Furthermore, if it is not effectively dealt with, people get addicted to the DANGEROUS DRUGS they're given to relieve the pain. Whatever happened to treatment that is both effective and cost-effective?
What is the difference between what I do in my clinic and what others are doing in theirs? Just watch a few of our VIDEO TESTIMONIALS on neck pain and chronic headaches to find out --- especially THESE FEW. The thing that you'll notice after watching just a few of these is that many of our patients have had their pain for years ---- or not uncommonly, EVEN DECADES --- and tried just about everything there is to try, including lots and lots of CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS, before coming here. Don't get me wrong, adjustments can be an extremely effective weapon against all sorts of headaches ---- as long as there is no SCAR TISSUE present. However, if a person has FASCIAL ADHESIONS or FIBROTIC TISSUE of any kind, all bets are off as to how effective an adjustment will be or how long it will last (HERE).
Like I tell all my patients with chronic neck pain and headaches; try one treatment and see if it makes a difference. One treatment is either going to make a huge difference for you, or it will do nothing at all. One treatment and you'll know. Who else makes this kind of claim other than the ELDER STECCO? Call Cheryl at (417) 934-6337 to make an appointment today. You've got nothing to lose but the pain! If you are one of those people who was cursed with Migraine Headaches, make sure to read THIS very short post. And for those of you whose headaches are tangled up with one or more chronic illness, be sure to read THIS POST.
BOOK REVIEW: IT STARTS WITH FOOD
"Reactive foods are heavily linked to Inflammation, Leaky Gut Syndrome (Increased Intestinal Permeability), and pain. This is the natural cycle of all sorts of disease processes.... Again, the reason that these specific food groups are to be avoided is their penchant for reactivity. Reactivity causes Inflammation, illness and pain. There is no debating that those who have Autoimmune Diseases (or are headed down this pathway) will perform better physically and neurologically by cutting the most potentially reactive foods out of their diet. By cutting these specific food groups listed, reactive people end up with less inflammation. Decreased amounts of Inflammation mean that there will be less Immune Response to things that the body should not be responding to." Dr. Russell S. Schierling from a post on Veganism -vs- Paleo
One of my patients (PASTOR LARRY TUBBS) recently told me about a book that he was given called, It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. Larry had been dealing with severe NASAL CONGESTION to the point that not only was his breathing becoming almost impossible; the problem was so severe that it was giving him claustrophobia and panic attacks.
He and his wife were on a vacation not too long ago, and fortunately for him, someone had told him that following the advice in this book would change his life --- and fix his congestion. Not only did he read the book, he was so captivated and motivated to change his health that he started the Whole 30 Program immediately after reading the book ---- halfway through his vacation! Although Shirley probably thought it was crazy, she started the program right along with him. What sorts of results did Larry and Shirley have? No more sinus congestion. He can breathe again normally. They both lost weight. They both have less joint pain. And that's just for starters. When I saw him the other day, Larry was totally pumped ---- enough so that he wanted me to read the book as well. It's an excellent book that can benefit virtually anyone who follows its advice (THE PALEO DIET)! And as of 2017, is still the book I recommend people who would rather have a book than use my site.
My wife and I spent Saturday motorcycling past the area lakes (Bull Shoals, Beaver, Table Rock), then went to Eureka Springs, and then south on the PIG TRAIL (actually the ride home up 21 and then the area around the Boxley Area of the Buffalo River was better). Since I get up much earlier than any normal person should, I read the book early Sunday morning on the front porch of a cabin along the Arkansas River. I was so enthralled with the information the Hartwigs presented that I finished it in one sitting.
After getting sucked into my website and bouncing from blog post to blog post for hours on end, I have had many people suggest that I write a book. The thought has crossed my mind ---- but after reading It Starts With Food, I feel that someone has already written my book. As I turned the pages, I honestly felt in many ways that I was reading a book that I had written. The way they were promoting health and explaining to people why they were sick and how to turn the tables and get well, was, in many ways, almost verbatim what I have written extensively about on my website. The truth is, the Hartwigs got down to the ROOT OF PRACTICALLY ALL DISEASE with this book ---- the place where Chronic Pain and Chronic Inflammatory Degenerative Diseases live; as well as the solution for at least a great portion of people living with this wide range of health problems.
What did they talk about in the book? They talked about things like.....
The bottom line is that if you are interested in getting lean and healthy, this book will benefit you. HERE and HERE are testimonials from a couple of our patients who have used It Starts With Food as the template for their dietary changes.
CHRONIC PAIN TESTIMONIAL
A few years back, Larry stopped in at Summersville to get a haircut. He was complaining about an ongoing case of ELBOW TENDINOSIS that he had tried just everything for, including PRP and STEROID INJECTIONS. Nothing had helped. RONNIE HARPER was in the barber chair and suggested that he come down here to see us. Not only did Larry see a huge and immediate change, he referred his wife in and she has seen huge changes as well with her CHRONIC NECK PAIN (she had previously been through a neck surgery). We also solved a case of CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME that Larry had recently developed.
Larry recently made some huge strides with his CHRONIC SINUS / COUGH / ALLERGIES simply by following the advice of a book he had been reading, and eating nothing but WHOLE FOODS. He loaned me the book, It Starts With Food which I will be reviewing shortly. It already looks good. Thanks Larry and Shirley!
MENTHOL CIGARETTES CURE YOUR COUGH
The following is an email testimonial from one of my dear friends who was diagnosed with an Autoimmune Disease six months ago. Bear in mind that the list of Autoimmune Diseases is not only ridiculously long, but it has been estimated that somewhere between 20% and 50% of the entire American population has one or more of them (HERE). Also be aware that the only way to have a hope of solving these sorts of problems is to step outside the "Medical Box". It's always cool to see proof of what happens when people have the courage take that step. Thanks for the email Kate. We love you guys!
She said they don't know what causes it, and they don't have a cure for it. They just try to control the symptoms with medication. I left that day with a prescription for a drug that MIGHT help my symptoms, but also causes liver damage, digestive tract damage and makes your hair fall out. Needless to say, I didn't want to take the medicine. I thought to myself I have not tried nearly enough things to think that taking this medicine was a good idea.
I contacted Dr. Schierling, a long time friend, for advice. He immediately told me to get off GLUTEN (by way of THIS POST). The urologist had previously suggested a diet with NO caffeine, artificial colors, sweeteners, flavors and eliminate high acid foods. (Which I did) Dr. Schierling also suggested doing blood work to check gluten sensitivity, gluten cross-contaminates sensitivity GLUTEN CROSS-CONTAMINATES SENSITIVITY and for "LEAKY GUT SYNDROME". When the blood work came back it showed I was sensitive to corn and had "Leaky Gut Syndrome." Dr. Schierling did a lot of research for me and prescribed several different supplements to help heal the leaky gut in the hopes of combating the immune response attacking my body. By following the changes my diet that Dr. Schierling recommended (radical changes), I have improved my bladder symptoms / pain by about 90%. I went from being in pain all the time and being afraid I wasn't going to be able to live my life away from a bathroom to feeling fine most of the time and having minor discomfort from time to time.
The urologist's advice left me feeling hopeless because it wasn't addressing the underlying autoimmune issues. Dr. Schierling's advice not only helped naturally control the symptoms I was feeling, but over time I am hopeful will heal the underlying "Leaky Gut" and bladder disease. He also warned that autoimmune diseases tend to travel in "packs". If you have one you are very likely to get others as well. I REALLY don't want to have any others so I am highly motivated to stick with the diet changes in the hopes of having a healthy future. One happy side-effect is in the last 6 months I have lost close to 30 pounds. My HUSBAND has joined me in this diet change journey and has also lost a substantial amount of weight. More importantly, he FEELS better and is more energized.
UPDATE: As of 2015 there has been a 100% resolution of Kate's symptoms
Kate Burris Greenville, South Carolina
HEALTH AND UNREGULATED BLOOD SUGAR
Our country's health is in the dump, and we can place a large segment of the blame smack dab in the middle of our collective inability to control our blood sugar (HERE). Although you may not have heard, this is because virtually every disease and health problem you can name is being tied back to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar in the peer-reviewed scientific research. In fact, just this morning I saw yet another study tying ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE to INSULIN RESISTANCE (FYI: I have actually seen Alzheimer's referred to as "Type III Diabetes"). The first thing that I want to do is to discuss the difference between blood sugar that is "controlled' (regulated) and uncontrolled (unregulated). Trust me; you need to grasp this point if you want any chance at being healthy your entire life.
Here in America, we have told people that they are not Diabetic until they have a Fasting Blood Glucose level of 126. Just be aware that there are all sorts of experts in the field (including Endocrinologists) who believe that this number is not only too high, but way too high. In other words, there are many experts who feel that Fasting Blood Sugar readings over 100 should actually be considered as Diabetes (optimal Fasting Blood Sugar would be in the 80-90 range) (HERE). This is probably why nearly half of all those who are diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, already have visible signs of Neuropathy (HERE) by the time that diagnosis becomes official and they cross that magical 125 marker. Just understand this; if you are regularly eating the wrong kinds of foods, you may think that you are getting away with it because you have not yet hit 126. You're not!
Although most of the medical community seems to be ignoring this information, there are a host of health problems and outright diseases that are being tied back to Unregulated Blood Sugar. Although I will not even try to create a comprehensive list here, I would like to give you just a few that I think you should know about. I would hope that your doctor has been informing you of this information as well.
- CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES: Here is a category that covers almost everything. All of the health problems listed in this link are heavily related to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar. The truth is, it is highly unlikely that you have any real idea what INFLAMMATION is (clue; it is not swelling). Curious? Just click on the link.
- PCOS: Although virtually all Endocrine (hormonal) problems are heavily related to Blood Sugar Dysregulation issues, this one takes the cake. POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME is the #1 female problem facing American women today. What causes it? Again, click on the link.
- OBESITY: Just a couple of weeks ago, we witnessed a huge battle within the medical community over whether or not OBESITY should be considered to be a "disease". I don't really care what you call it, 70% of Americans are overweight or obese (actually over 75% if you count those who are SKINNY FAT). The root cause of most obesity is simply Uncontrolled Blood Sugar.
- FIBROMYALGIA: What is FIBROMYALGIA? I promise you that it is not what your doctor has told you it is.
- DEPRESSION: DEPRESSION, along with ADD / ADHD, AUTISM , and a whole array of other mental health issues have been tied to problems with one's ability to regulate blood sugar.
- MANY OTHERS: ALLERGIES, many cases of HIGH CHOLESTEROL, DEGENERATIVE DISC or JOINT DISEASE, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully you are starting to see that controlling your blood sugar is foundational to a healthy lifestyle. Make sure to come back tomorrow for a really cool testimonial on this subject ---- complete with pictures
HOW TO WORK TOWARDS PROPER
BLOOD SUGAR REGULATION
(EVEN IF YOUR DOCTOR DOES NOT SEEM TOO WORRIED)
- EAT BREAKFAST: Mind you; the BREAKFAST you eat cannot be the usual American breakfast fare ---- waffles, pancakes, French Toast, OJ (the SUBSTITUTION of choice for many hardcore SUGAR ADDICTS), fried potatoes / hash browns, syrup, toast, sweet rolls or other pastries, donuts, etc, etc, etc. Plain and simple, eat a LOW CARB protein-based breakfast.
- AVOID FOODS THAT RAPIDLY RAISE (SPIKE) YOUR BLOOD SUGAR: This is a no-brainer. You should already be realizing that if you really want to control your blood sugar, you are going to have to avoid certain foods. of course, you will have to give up soda (yes, even the DIET SODA spikes insulin levels), as well as the obvious factors such as JUNK FOOD, chips, etc. However, there are many other foods that shoot your blood sugar through the roof without you being aware of the fact. White Potatoes are one. Grains are another. Still another is certain kinds of fruit. Dr. Atkins did not have everything correct back when he wrote his groundbreaking book in the early 1970's. But when compared to most of his peers (HERE), he now looks like a genius.
- GO GLUTEN FREE: Frankly, it's just a small leap from Low Carb to GLUTEN FREE / PALEO. However, make sure you go about it the right way. In other words, you cannot truly go Gluten Free unless you have a grasp of what GLUTEN CROSS-REACTORS are.
- WHEN YOU EAT CARBOHYDRATES, EAT THEM WITH PROTEIN: This is simple. If you are going to eat a banana (a true "Glucose Bomb"), make sure you eat it with a handful of almonds. The protein works to blunt the blood sugar 'spike'.
- EAT SEVERAL SMALL MEALS A DAY: Some would say that you need to be eating "three squares" with a small protein-based snack a few hours after each meal.
- UNDERSTAND THAT LOW BLOOD SUGAR AND HIGH BLOOD SUGAR ARE TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN: Some of you might be sitting there saying to yourself, "all of this information is all great for someone with high blood sugar. But I have low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). What am I supposed to do?" You can start by reading THIS.
- EXERCISE THE PROPER WAY: If you are addicted to spending hours slogging through a workout, READ THIS.
- UNDERSTAND THAT THERE BE OTHER UNDERLYING CAUSES OF YOUR HEALTH PROBLEMS(S): This is especially true if you have not been paying attention to your blood sugar for a very long time. You might have developed underlying problems such as LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, THYROID PROBLEMS, DYSBIOSIS, AUTOIMMUNITY, and a whole host of others (HERE). Yes; you'll have to deal with those if they are present. But, no matter what your problem is, a great starting point is controlling your blood sugar. For more information on this topic, read this TWO PART SERIES on the subject.
PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME VIDEO
Wayne had the whole nine yards; the pain in the butt, the inability to sit of perform certain functions without pain, as well as the SCIATICA. Like so many other people we treat, he had not really done anything about it because he did not want to get on the MEDICAL MERRY GO ROUND of SHOTS, PAIN MEDS, and even surgery. I treated Wayne two times ---- the second of which was just over a year ago. If you thought his video was a worthwhile watch; you can see SCORES MORE on a wide variety of health issues and Chronic Pain Syndromes (HERE).
PAIN IN THE BUTT?
In fact, if you were to look at just three of the hundreds of local patients I have helped with Chronic Pain due to Piriformis Syndrome (HERE, and HERE) who together, suffered for nearly a century; none of them had ever heard the term before ---- despite lots and lots of doctor visits and tests. If it's happening here in the Ozarks, the same thing is likely being repeated all over America. This begs a different question though. If patients are not being told that their problem is due to Piriformis Syndrome, what are they being told is wrong with them? The most common (by far) is that their pain is being caused by a HERNIATED DISC. This can be highly problematic in light of what we now know about ASYMPTOMATIC DISC HERNIATIONS. In fact, this particular issue makes it very difficult (often times impossible) to know whether or not a person's pain is disc-related or not.
When Cheryl shoots patient video testimonials, she does not coach them on what to say, but she does give them a few directions. She tells them to simply tell their story and not make it sound like a commercial (i.e. DO NOT throw in a comment such as, "I highly recommend that you come and see Dr. Schierling"). She tells them that we are interested in things like......
- Where is / was your pain?
- How did the pain affect your life?
- How many doctors did you see for your problem?
- What tests have you had?
- How long did you have your pain?
- How much money has been spent on this problem?
- How much better are you after seeing Dr. Schierling?
- In what ways has your life improved after seeing Dr. Schierling?
- Did you see an immediate result or did it take awhile?
- Etc, etc, etc, etc.
Sometimes she asks questions like this during the video to help jog people who are camera shy (there are lots of them), or to keep people who love to talk on track. We never edit our videos. They are what they are. However, sometimes, because people have never heard the word "Piriformis Syndrome" prior to being in our office (or OSGOOD SCHLATTER SYNDROME, DeQUERVAIN'S SYNDROME, TENDINOSIS, THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME, ILLIO-TIBIAL BAND SYNDROME, PATELLO-FEMORAL SYNDROME, or any of the OTHER CONDITIONS I deal with on a daily basis), they look for help because they forgot the word or the term. That's how we do it. No gimmicks. No editing. No coaching. Check out a few of our videos today. You'll be impressed!
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration