ANOTHER ROUND OF
- GMO / INTENSIVE HYBRIDIZATION: Although you will often hear that wheat has been "Genetically Modified" (GMO), this is not accurate ---- yet. No surprises here, but Monsanto is CURRENTLY WORKING ON THIS. However, because the food industry has an infatuation with gluten (they use it as thickening agents, food starches, malt extract, emulsifiers, stabilizers, and a whole host of common food additives), industry has been hybridizing wheat for increased gluten content for decades. Although it is difficult to know exactly how much more gluten there is in today's wheat than there used to be, suffice it to say that the difference is significant --- particularly in the grade of wheat used for baking.
- THE PROCESS OF DEAMIDATION: Gliadin is not water soluble (it is alcohol soluble). The process of making it water soluble so that it can be used by the food industry is called, deamidation. A 2003 issue of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology showed that although most people did not react to heirloom varieties of wheat, many had severe reactions to to deamidated wheat. A shocking study from a 2008 issue of the European Journal of Inflammation confirmed this by touting deamidated wheat as possibly being the number one source of hidden food allergies and sensitivities. This could be due to the fact that the part of the Immune System that actually attacks invaders (T-CELLS) is strongly activated by deamidated gliadin. Add this to the fact that gluten happens to be the most common benign substances the body recognizes as foreign, and you can start to see why wheat protein is so heavily associated with autoimmunity (HERE).
- CROSS CONTAMINATION: This is simply referring to the fact that when various grains are harvested, hauled, dumped, stored, milled, etc, they will cross-contaminate. For instance, neither corn nor oats contain gluten. However, unless you are purchasing these from a company that is certified "Gluten Free", there will be massive cross-contamination from every step of the process. Bottom line: For a grain to be considered "Gluten Free", it can never come in contact with grains that have Gluten in them. Think about it another way; you only hear about Gluten Free Diets; never "Low Gluten" or "Reduced Gluten" diets (HERE). This is because once your body ramps up its immune system to make antibodies against the gluten protein, it takes less than 20 parts per million to trigger a reaction. I treat a school teacher who is so Gluten Sensitive that she has more trouble during the school year, despite being on a strict gluten free diet. This is because if she simply has physical contact with children who eat wheat, she reacts. Fortunately her husband is gluten free as well.
- LONG TERM WHEAT STORAGE & ACCOMPANYING PROCESSES: When wheat is stored in grain bins, all sorts of really nasty chemicals are mixed with it to keep it from spoiling, as well as keeping bugs from infesting and devouring it. These include antifungals, pesticides, and a slew of other things that you hope to never be exposed to. Then there is the issue of enterotoxins being produced by bacteria in the stored wheat. Enterotoxins are produced by many different bacteria, and are often cytotoxic (they kill cells), acting by altering the infected person's mucosal cell membrane permeability. This sounds like so much medical gibberish until you realize that this process is actually describing something called........
- LEAKY GUT SYNDROME / INCREASED INTESTINAL PERMEABILITY: Due to INFLAMMATORY processes that occur within the body due to SUBCLINICAL INFECTIONS & DYSBIOSIS, poor diet, STRESS, lack of exercise, CERTAIN MEDICATIONS, Gluten Intolerance / Gluten Sensitivity, etc, etc, etc, the "tight junctions" between the mucosal cells of the Small Intestine become loose. This allows food particles, PARASITES, toxins, virus, bacteria, MOLDS, FUNGUS, undigested food particles, and who-knows-what-else, to be absorbed into the blood stream. Once there, the body recognizes these as foreign and the Immune System begins to mount responses to attack them (HERE). In some cases, this is normal and good. However, the reactions often end up out of control. For more information on LEAKY GUT SYNDROME and it's intimate relationship to wheat, just click the link (you'll see LGS go by at least two dozen different names in the peer-reviewed literature).
- INCREASED STRESS, HYPERACTIVE IMMUNE SYSTEMS, & THE SUBSEQUENT IMMUNE SYSTEM INTOLERANCE: Once the process of Leaky Gut is underway, the results can be devastating. Inflammation causes Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Leaky Gut Syndrome causes Inflammation. The whole thing spins in a vicious cycle, resulting in an almost unlimited number of potential health problems (HERE is a list of a few of them). For the record, this scenario usually winds up causing some sort of AUTOIMMUNE REACTION, where your body starts attacking its own tissues, cells, and enzymes (for reasons no one really understands, once the body starts attacking gluten, it often starts attacking self. This is why anyone who is chronically ill needs to be off gluten. Period.
- INFLAMMATION: Although everyone thinks they know what inflammation is, few people actually do. For more information, see the posts that are HERE. A failure to halt inflammation means that you will never get to the source of your problem.
- S.A.D: The Standard American Diet for most Americans is far worse than anyone could have even dreamed of 25 years ago. We should be eating vegetation, and animals that ate vegetation (HERE). Just remember that grain is not vegetation. I also need to remind many of you that corn is not a vegetable, but a grain. When you eat a grain-based diet (particularly when those grains are heavily processed), you will eventually end up looking like a corn-fed beef. And never forget that OBESITY itself causes inflammation --- a huge causal component of Leaky Gut Syndrome. Overeating any particular food ---- especially if that food is a heavily processed grain (wheat) ---- leaves one particularly susceptible to creating antibodies against that food.
- LACK OF THE PROPER ENZYMES TO BREAK DOWN GLUTEN: Guess where DIGESTIVE ENZYMES come from? They mostly come from naturally raised and ripened vegetables. Without fresh or frozen vegetables, your digestion will be poor. Without a wide variety of vegetables in your diet, you will have low levels of enzymes, including the enzymes used by the body to break down wheat protein. How big a problem is this? Back when James Dobson was still hosting Focus on the Family, I remember him reporting a medical study saying that 1/3 of all American children under the age of 18 got zero servings of vegetables a week ---- unless you count ketchup and fries as a vegetable ---- like our Public Schools do (HERE).
- A STEADY BARRAGE OF VACCINES AND ANTIBIOTICS FROM CRADLE TO GRAVE: Contrary to popular belief, ANTIBIOTICS do not strengthen the immune system. In fact, one of Medicine's dirty little secrets is the fact that antibiotics actually weaken the immune system ---- severely (HERE). What most people are unaware of is that vaccines do the same thing (HERE). Sure, they might keep you from getting a certain disease (OR NOT), but the process leaves you with an immune system that does not work like God intended it to. People end up trading things like Chicken Pox or Measles for life-long AUTOIMMUNITY. The problem with vaccine reactions is that they tend to be neurological and immunological --- particularly difficult to overcome. It also means that they can cause just about any health problem you can imagine. And people who have taken lots of antibiotics tend to be highly intolerant to lots of foods ---- especially wheat. This is because they destroy GUT HEALTH which makes up a whopping 80% OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM.
BUT DOC; I'VE BEEN 100% GLUTEN FREE FOR A
YEAR AND I STILL FEEL LIKE CRAP --- WHAT GIVES?
| || |
HIDDEN SOURCES OF GLUTEN
And by the way, It's not just about what you eat or do not eat. Gluten is commonly used as a thickening agent / stabilizer in soaps, shampoos, cosmetics, detergents, spices, prescription & OTC medications, toothpaste, mouthwash, stamps, envelopes, and even children's stickers. And we have not even gotten to food items yet! Things like additives, soy sauce, dextrin, fillers, artificial colors, as well as all sorts of things you cannot even begin to imagine, contain gluten. And as I said a moment ago; once you are sensitive, it only takes a microscopic amount to trigger a reaction.
GLUTEN SENSITIVITY / INTOLERANCE
Believe it or not, there are still a lot of doctors (and PASTORS) out there who believe that if you do not have "Celiac Disease", then wheat is not and cannot be your problem (HERE) --- a myth frequently parroted by the media. However, the truth is that some people's wheat sensitivities are just as severe, or actually even worse than having full-blown Celiac Disease (HERE), even they do not have CD. Because of this, intestinal biopsy is not all it's cracked up to be.
For one, the Small Intestine is one of the quickest healing organs in the body. Research tells us that unless the biopsy is done at the right time, in the right place, the intestinal damage can either be missed completely, or healed enough that it does not meet the criteria to be officially considered Celiac Disease. Just how bad does the damage have to be to get a diagnosis of CD? The intestinal cells must be totally destroyed. And if they're not, these people are often (usually) told that gluten is not the cause of their problems, leaving them to continue spinning on the MEDICAL MERRY-GO-ROUND.
Lastly, Celiac Disease is simply the name given to autoimmune gluten sensitivity of the small intestine. What about the gluten-induced autoimmune reactions against any of the tens of thousands of other tissues in the body? One of the biggies being looked at right now in people with equilibrium, balance, and motor control issues is an autoimmune reaction to one's cerebellum (CEREBELLAR ATAXIA). Bottom line, call it whatever you want; if you have a problem with wheat you need to avoid it. Unfortunately, you might not realize you have a problem until you really have a problem, which is why many people are avoiding it as a matter of prevention.
GLUTEOMORPHIN & GLUTEN ADDICTION
One of the fragments that gluten is broken down to is called Glutomorphin. If you recognized this as is a combination of the words gluten and Morphine, you would be correct (milk is broken down to Casomorphin). MORPHINE is one of the single most addictive compounds known to man. In many individuals (particularly those with AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDERS and behavior disorders such as ADHD) Glutomorphins act just like morphine by fitting into opiate receptors in the brain.
This is why you can find cases of people (frequently children) consuming soy sauce from the fridge, children's stickers or stamps, or even mom's cosmetics (yep, makeup is often thickened with Gluten), to get their gluten fix. As you can imagine, this is a tough one to conquer. Fortunately, Gluteomorphin sensitivity can be tested for (again, Cyrex Labs). Just remember than an individual whose immune system is making antibodies to gluteomorphins or casomorphins will have a much tougher time in the early phases of a gluten-free diet. In fact, they might get worse for a couple of weeks or so. This group of people will tend toward Bipolar, self hatred, DEPRESSION, and ADDICTIONS --- especially food or SUGAR ADDICTIONS; and especially Gluten-containing foods and PROCESSED CARBS.
EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE?
Evidence Based Medicine is one of those government programs that reminds me of their failed No Child Left Behind program. It made you feel warm and fuzzy all over when you first heard the concept. But the more you listen, read between the lines, and watch what is really going on; the more you realize you've been bamboozled. NCLB was supposed to be a program that kept less studious children from falling behind, failing, and subsequently dropping out of school. Not only has the program been a miserable (and expensive) failure, but the way in which this program's goals have been achieved (dumbing down educational standards so that anyone and everyone can meet them) are a huge source of national embarrassment within the world's educational community. And it is my contention that the current emphasis on Evidence Based Medicine is nothing more than a similar snow job.
Snow job? How can I dare say such a mean thing? After all; we have graduated beyond the age of Snake Oil and Calomel-based (Mercury) medications have we not? Unfortunately, a cursory glance at some of our country's dubious VACCINATION POLICIES tells us that we still have a fascination with both (HERE). And the problem goes far beyond that. In similar fashion to a well known child's story, one of the dirty little secrets of our Medical Community is that the emperor is wearing no clothes.
Professor of Health Policy and Management, Dr. David M. Edy, M.D., Ph.D. of Duke University showed us back in the early 90's that less than 15% of all medical interventions are supported by solid scientific evidence. To add fuel to the fire, the prestigious BMJ (British Medical Journal) then showed us that only 1% of the articles in Medical Journals are scientifically sound (HERE). So, should the practice of Chiropractic be lumped in with the medical profession and pharmaceutical industries? I'll let Public Health expert, Dr. Paul G. Shekelle, M.D. answer that with a statement he made on ABC's 20/20 several years ago, "There are considerably more randomized controlled trials which show benefit of this [chiropractic] than there are for many, many other things which physicians and neurosurgeons do all the time."
But maybe --- just maybe ---- things are beginning to change. In a shocking new development, the University of Pittsburgh Health Insurers have actually mandated that people have to try a course of chiropractic care before undergoing many spinal procedures (surgeries). Yes, things may be changing; but is it really Evidence Based Medicine? Absolutely not ---- not by a long shot! And as long as the practice of Medicine is being largely funded and run by Big Pharma, it won't be! This is why I started doing Video Testimonials last year.
I have lived in Missouri --- the 'Show Me" state since I was 21 years old. As I have always told patients, the PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING. Just show me the evidence! OK; here it is. If you want to see a real picture of Evidence Based Medicine, look no further than our VIDEO TESTIMONIAL PAGE (and HERE). It is common place at Schierling Chiropractic, LLC to make quick changes in people who have suffered with a wide variety of health problems for 10, 20, 30, 40 ----- or EVEN 70 YEARS. I am the last resort for most of the patients I treat. And guess what? Virtually every single one of these people had immense amounts of "Evidence Based Medicine" performed on them before seeing me. Did it help them? Just watch the videos and judge for yourself!
Can I help each and every person I see here at Schierling Chiropractic, LLC? Certainly not ---- and I would never hope to lead people to believe otherwise. But is what I am doing here "Evidence Based"? Although many would say that its not for various reasons; not only would I say yes, I would say "YES!" If I think I can help people, I help them and do it as quickly as is humanly possible. If I cannot help them, I try to get them to someone who can. Period. Dr. Shawn Thistle recently wrote......
"I have always been a proponent of adopting the term 'evidence-informed practice' because I feel it better reflects the reality of knowledge transfer into clinical decision making and patient care. What many forget is that 'evidence-based medicine' (EBM), as it was originally proposed, includes 3 equally important pillars:
1) The best available evidence.
2) The experience of the treating clinician.
3) The preferences of the patient regarding their care.
I feel the term 'EBM' may overemphasize the importance of #1, at the expense of #s 2 and 3."
And guess what? Dr. Shawn is correct. And think about why he's correct. The 'evidence' that doctors base their treatment on is constantly changing! As a person who has always been interested in nutrition (I was a part of Kansas State University's Nutrition / Exercise Physiology dual degree program 25 years ago), I have seen the "Evidence" in the field of nutrition change time and time again. Allow me show you a few examples of "Evidence" from the world of nutrition.
Eggs and red meat used to be thought to be the cause high cholesterol (HERE). We used to think that carbs could not make you fat or sick --- only dietary fat could do that. Now we know better (HERE). Dietary Salt was, until very recently, thought to be the cause of High Blood Pressure (HERE). Now we know better. Oh, some day the pendulum will swing back and we will realize that EBM was not all it was cracked up to be. But until then, it's what we are stuck with.
And is Evidence Based Medicine even a reality. I say not. Because so much of what we today call "Science" actually goes to the highest bidder, EBM is a mere pipe dream, with true healers getting crushed under the wheels of Corporate Medicine and Big Pharma.
TESNEGRITY OF FASCIA AND OTHER CONNECTIVE TISSUES
BUILDING A DINOSAUR
How do either one of the above properties of engineering explain a dinosaur's ability to hold up a 60 foot long neck? As we just said, both systems only work with rigid materials (airplane wings, a wooden deck, a concrete foundation, structural beams, steel cables, concrete towers, etc). And the longer the structure being worked with, the taller, stronger and more heavy-duty the towers and supports need to be. Large suspensions will also require lots of incredibly strong / heavy supporting cables. But what about living tissues --- particularly soft tissues (CONNECTIVE TISSUES) that do not contain the kind of rigidity needed under the old models? Bottom line, we cannot explain a dinosaur's ability to hold up its neck using outdated BIOMECHANICAL MODELS. Enter Tensegrity.
TENSEGRITY (TENSIONAL INTEGRITY)
What's doubly amazing is that some of the members of this group (SPECIFICALLY DR. INGBER) have shown that dysfunctional fascia --- fascia that has lost its tensegrity --- is involved in all sickness and disease. That would be all as in all. But there are many others as well (TOM MYERS OF ANATOMY TRAINS is one that many of you may have heard of, along with DRS. JAMES OSCHMAN and HELENE LANGEVIN). And Dr. Jean-Claude Guimberteau was one of the authors of video clip below (some of it was taken from his Strolling Under the Skin, which is an extremely cool video of highly magnified fascia in action).
But is there any scientific evidence to back the model being touted by this growing number of scientists? A Google Scholar Search provides over 3,500 scientific articles on Tensegrity. This paradigm shift in the relationship between structure and function is radically changing the way that we think about both DISEASE PROCESSES and CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES.
All matter is suspended in a delicate balance between tension (pulling forces) and compression (pushing forces). I am supported by the ground; the tire swing my daughter is playing on hangs from the tree limb. There are no other ways to support something. Everything else is a mixture of tension and compression --- push and pull. In the body, the "Tensegrity Matrix" helps to explain some of the amazing relationships between distant structural components. It extends to the basic concept of the tissue response to injury far beyond the level of joint, muscle and ligament, to include all structures of the body as potential sources of mechanical, electrical, and chemical dysfunction, much of which is due to the fact that FASCIA ACTS AS ITS OWN NERVOUS SYSTEM.
To better understand this model, just visualize the various tissues of the body as being composed of interconnected geometric structures (see the video below or the animation above), which are constantly under a degree of both tension and compression. This "push / pull" relationship provides an inherent balance between motion and stability. From the video below, you can see how this new model is able to better explain whole body motion, joint motion, injury and injury responses, as well as the reason that the Fascial Adhesions that I deal with on a daily basis in my clinic, are so destructive to one's health and have the ability to cause such severe pain (HERE).
When Connective Tissues loose their ability to adapt and compensate to their environment, they become chronically FIBROTIC. These fibrosis are not necessarily the Fascial Adhesions of trauma that we see in so many people (i.e visible scars), but instead are the result of day to day to day postural distortions and repetitive actions that many of us perform at work. When the Fascia looses its normal patterns of tension and elasticity, it can literally become overwhelmed by mechanical stress ---- stress that translates, as we saw in yesterday's Blog Post, into both Chronic Pain Syndromes and Various Disease Processes. This is because Tissue Fibrosis (microscopic scarring and dysfunction) results in aberrations of the tissue's mechanical as well as its chemical and electrical properties. Bottom line: whether symptomatic or asymptomatic, if you have connective tissue issues like FASCIAL ADHESIONS, TENDINOPATHIES, or VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATION, you are moving away from being a pliable, stretchy, elastic, and healthy creature, to one that is RIGID / STIFFENED / THICKENED, strained, and sick.
REAL LIFE TENSEGRITY IN FASCIA
MODEL OF TENSEGRITY IN FASCIA
ADHESED FASCIA AND VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATION
THE COMMON CAUSE OF ALL DISEASE?
There are four types of tissue in the body. Epithelial Tissue, Muscle Tissue, Nerve Tissue, and Connective Tissue. The Connective Tissues that I primarily deal with in my clinic are BONE, FASCIA, LIGAMENTS, and TENDONS (by the way, I frequently categorize MUSCLES as a Connective Tissue even though this is not technically accurate). Once you start to understand a little bit about the way the body functions, it is not a reach to grasp how big a part FASCIAL ADHESIONS play not only in the development of numerous and sundry CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES, but in the development of various disease processes as well.
In the quest to find a "Common Cause" of all disease, men have believed a wide variety of different treatments to be the solution. These ranged from things as radical as suicide, to holes drilled through the head, and virtually everything in between. This is because over the centuries, this 'Common Cause' has been thought to be things as diverse as karma, harmful vapors, GERMS, BAD GENES, and even evil spirits.
Well over 100 years ago, two pioneers in the field of Natural Medicine, B.J. PALMER (Chiropractic) and A.T. STILL (Osteopathy) developed healing philosophies and systems based on their belief that there was a common cause of all disease. And although they did not agree on what this common cause was, they may have both been closer to the truth than anyone could have possibly known at the time. The former thought that this "Common Cause" was nerve interference caused by misaligned or malfunctioning vertebrate (HERE), while the later believed that disease was largely the result of restrictions or ADHESIONS OF THE FASCIA. It seems that medical research may be proving both of them correct. Enter Drs. Donald Ingber and Helene Langevin.
DRS. DONALD INGBER & HELENE LANGEVIN
Dr. Ingber is a cell biologist. But he is not your ordinary, average, every-day cell biologist. He also happens to be a medical doctor with advanced degrees in molecular biophysics and cellular biochemistry (all from Yale). He was part of the Vascular Biology Program in the Department of Surgery and Pathology, at Children’s Hospital of Harvard Medical School, where he was a researcher and pathologist, until 2008, when he was named a professor of bio-engineering at the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Dr. Ingber has published nearly 300 research papers in peer-reviewed scientific / medical journals, and a recent bio stated that, "Ingber's insights have helped create the fields of mechanobiology, angiogenesis, tissue engineering, nanobiotechnology, and biomimetics". In other words, Dr. Ingber is probably smarter than you, I, and everyone we know combined.
In a 2003 article published in the Annals of Medicine titled Mechanobiology and Diseases of Mechanotransduction, Dr. Ingber shed some new light on an old topic ---- the search for the "Common Cause" of sickness and disease. Although Dr. Ingber himself would never tout his research as a quest to find the elusive "Universal Cause", he certainly believes that the basis of the largest percentage of today's diseases is directly related to dysfunctional mechanoreception / proprioception of Connective Tissues. O.K. We already know what Connective Tissues are, but what in the world is proprioception / mechanoreception, and how does it relate to health?
MECHANORECEPTION & PROPRIOCEPTION
It is this internal sense of PROPRIOCEPTION that indicates whether the body (or a part of the body — i.e. a limb) is moving, how fast it is moving, what direction its moving, and how much energy is being expended to move it; as well as where the various parts of the body are located in space ----- in relation to every other part of the body. Incredible proprioceptive ability is one of the things that makes a great athlete a great athlete (sometime watch some old highlights of JOHNNY MANZIEL, DARREN SPROLES, or BARRY SANDERS). As you start to grasp how complex and vital proprioception is, you can begin to understand why it has been said that it is more important than the inner ear for balance!
When proprioceptive nerve endings (mechanoreceptors) are stimulated via stretch, movement, or pressure, the nerve input is fed to the brain via the spinal cord and nerve system. Once in the brain (cerebellum), these impulses are decoded, translated and integrated into something the body can understand. Messages are then created and sent out to the various parts of your body. There is a continual feedback loop, with the whole process taking microseconds to accomplish. When it all works perfectly, it's literally poetry in motion (see videos above). However, when this system begins to break down, all sorts of problems can arise --- many of them ugly, severe, and as you'll soon see; not well understood by the average doctor. What are the most common ways that this system goes haywire?
- FIRSTLY: ABNORMAL BIOMECHANICS ultimately leads to both INFLAMMATION and fouled up mechanoreception, which both cause DEGENERATION of the affected joint. This is a well known fact that can be found in any PATHOLOGY TEXTBOOK or from any doctor you care to talk to. Everyone has heard the old adage 'use it or lose it'. Although it is an oversimplified cliché, there is a tremendous amount of truth in these five words. A quick review of the scientific literature on the subject tells us that loss of normal joint motion creates a loss of proprioception that subsequently causes degeneration of the affected joint. Furthermore, it tells us that degeneration of the joint causes abnormal joint motion and a subsequent loss of proprioception. Ladies and Gentlemen; start your cycles --- your viscous cycles! A causes B, and B causes A. Abnormal joint function causes degeneration, but degeneration turns right around and causes abnormal joint function, with the whole thing churning out a steady stream of inflammation (HERE). Not good if you happen to have an injured or dysfunctioning HIP, KNEE, SPINAL DISC, etc.
- SECONDLY: Using this model, let's think about what loss of joint motion and the subsequent loss of proprioceptive input could theoretically do to the various organs and organ systems in the body. Because the brain ultimately controls every function of the body via the spinal cord and nerve system, a loss of range of motion and proprioception has actually been shown to diminish organic (organ) function. SOUND CRAZY? Not to B.J. Palmer. Not to A.T. Still. And certainly not to Doctor Ingber. Allow me to me explain.
It is a simple physiological fact that loss of spinal range of motion due either to Vertebral Subluxation and / or Fascial Adhesion, causes diminished nerve system (proprioceptive) function. Amazingly enough, this loss of mechanoreception turns around and causes a loss of motor nerve function. The real stunner though, is that recent scientific research has shown us exactly how this occurs! In a lecture I attended nearly two decades ago by the venerable Dan Murphy, he showed then-current research saying that in healthy people; for every proprioceptive impulse (sensory – afferent) that is fired up to the brain; there are approximately 30 return nerve impulses (motor – efferent) coming back down in response.
It is the body's motor impulses that tell it what to do and how to function. It is motor function of the nerve system that not only tells my fingers how to type, but also tells my heart to beat, my intestines to work, my body temp to stay at 98.6, and my immune system TO ATTACK — OR NOT ATTACK, depending on the threat. Oh; I may have forgotten to mention that fascia is the single biggest proprioceptive organ in your body (HERE).
THE "VICEROSOMATIC LESION"
Every time a proprioceptive nerve ending is not being stimulated like it should be (usually due to restricted range of motion of a particular joint), 30 returning motor responses from the brain to the body are being inhibited. In other words, loss of spinal range of motion causes a corresponding loss of proprioception affecting motor nerves at an astounding 1 to 30 ratio. This then affects not only the way that muscles and joints function, but the way that organs function as well. Whoa! Sounds like both Dr. Still and Dr. Palmer may have been way ahead of their time! And although these men (particularly BJ Palmer) were frequently labeled by the mainstream medical community as quacks, this concept of the "Vicerosomatic Lesion" has been in the scientific medical literature since the 1960's. Although it's a three dollar doctor word, "vicerosomatic" simply means that dysfunctioning areas of the spine or body (the soma) can present with palpable, localized, and sensitive symptoms directly related to corresponding visceral (organ) dysfunction. And the interesting thing is that the dysfunction cuts both ways. Problems in the viscera can cause problems in the soma, or problems in the soma can cause problems in the viscera.
Bear in mind that in most cases, loss of joint motion is sooner or later going to result in pain. The beauty of CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS coupled with SCAR TISSUE REMODELING is that they not only help relieve pain while restoring range of motion, they actually allow the nerve system and the various functions controlled by the nerve system (basically everything in the body, including organs!) to function closer to the way they were designed and created to function in the first place (see "Sound Crazy?" link from a couple paragraphs ago). Doubly cool is that once you start addressing the "TETHERING EFFECTS" of the SCAR TISSUE and FIBROSIS, you won't feel like you constantly need to be adjusted (HERE).
BACK TO DR. INGBER
Dr. Ingber believes that modern medicine is far too wrapped up in trying to pin all our health problems on genetics (see earlier link), while mostly ignoring what he believes to be the greatest underlying causes of disease. What are these underlying causes of disease he speaks of? His research in biophysics and pathology have led him to the conclusion that many, if not most of the problems people seek medical care for, are the result of abnormal structure and function of the body's Connective Tissues (bones, ligaments, tendons, fascia, etc). Furthermore, he believes that you cannot truly understand any disease process without first understanding biomechanics and CELL BIOLOGY ---- the relationship between the way the body functions mechanically, and cellular function.
Remember his article, Mechanobiology and Diseases of Mechanotransduction that we mentioned earlier? "Mechanotransduction" is defined by Dr. Ingber as the method by which cells both sense and respond to mechanical stresses. In a subtle slap in the face to his own profession, while inadvertently validating what Chiropractors have been saying for well over a century, he notes that numerous diseases from across the entire spectrum of medical practice share a "Common Cause". In his article, Dr. Ingber states this about sickness and disease; "their etiology [cause] or clinical presentation [symptoms] results from abnormal mechanotransduction". In other words, a brilliant medical doctor from Harvard is saying that sickness and disease are being largely caused by loss of proprioception, and the subsequent abnormal activation of the nerve system that follows. Here are some of the points made by Dr. Ingber in his ground-breaking paper --- a paper that was published almost a decade ago.
- Mechanical forces are critical regulators of cellular biochemistry.
- There is a huge disconnect between ‘genome-age’ technologies and the reality of how diseases manifest themselves. From the time the first human looked, listened and felt for what is wrong with a sick friend, caregivers have recognized the undeniable physical basis of disease.
- In the current genome euphoria, there appears to be no place for ‘physicality’. This is especially worrisome given that abnormal cell and tissue responses to mechanical stress contribute to the etiology and clinical presentation of many important diseases, including asthma, osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, diabetes, stroke and heart failure (HERE).
- There is strong mechanical basis for many generalized medical disabilities, such as lower back pain and irritable bowel syndrome, which are responsible for a major share of healthcare costs world-wide.
- In biology and medicine, we tend to focus on the importance of genes and chemical factors for control of tissue physiology and the development of disease, whereas we commonly ignore physical factors. This is interesting because it was common knowledge at the turn of the last century that mechanical forces are critical regulators in biology.
- These new insights into mechanobiology suggest that many ostensibly unrelated diseases may share a common dependence on abnormal mechanotransduction for their development or clinical presentation.
- Understanding of the relation between structure and function in living tissues and of fundamental mechanisms of cellular mechanotransduction may therefore lead to entirely new modes of therapeutic intervention.
- And although some level of medical prejudice is likely what prevented him from adding the words "Chiropractic" or "Chiropractic Adjustments" to the following list, he essentially validates the profession by stating, The therapeutic value of PHYSICAL THERAPY, massage, and muscle stimulation is also well known.
Dr. Ingber went as far as saying, "Moreover, most of the clinical problems that bring a patient to the doctor’s office result from changes in tissue structure and mechanics. Although these physical alterations have been commonly viewed as the end-result of the disease process, recent advances in mechanobiology suggest that abnormal cell and tissue responses to mechanical stress may actively contribute to the development of many diseases and ailments. Thus, it might be wise to search for a physical cause when chemical or molecular forms of investigation do not suffice." Listen up people. If you do not grasp how big that this concept being promoted by Dr. Ingber really is, re-read the quote until you do ---- especially those of you who have been through every conceivable medical test in a fruitless quest to figure out what is wrong with you!
Although Fascia is a structural tissue, it is the tissue where the vascular system, the nerve system, and the musculoskeletal system all converge into one grand tissue. Yes, this makes Fascia the most potentially pain-sensitive tissue in the body, but it also helps it transmit electrical messages. Changing the shape and tension on the fascia creates a weak electric current that actually travels along the tissue itself. And as Dr. Ingber has shown, various cells and tissues throughout the body respond to these electrical impulses either positively or negatively depending on many factors. In fact, the current travels along fascia at 720 mph compared to 160 mph for the nervous system (HERE).
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
What does this all mean? In the famous words of Arnold's Schwarzenegger's character ('Dutch') from 1987's hit movie Predator, "If it bleeds, we can kill it." The first part of starting to solve these sorts of problems is figuring out what the heck might be causing them in the first place. Sorry, but covering symptoms is no longer an option (I actually wrote an article for you on what it takes to RESTORE PROPRIOCEPTIVE INTEGRITY IN FASCIA).
It also means that while their model was far from factually accurate (hard bones pinching soft nerves), chiropractors, in many respects, have been light years ahead of STANDARD DRUG THERAPY for well over a century, simply because they understood the end result of their adjustments. Thus, chiropractors are no longer the lone voice crying out in the wilderness. The type of advanced research being done by people like Drs. Ingber and Langevin is certain to attract a whole host of brilliant doctors, scientists, engineers, and scholars interested in finding that elusive "Common Cause". And while the Osteopathic profession has largely given up on this concept in order to become R.D.'s ("Real Doctors"), the Chiropractic Profession still largely embraces "THE BIG IDEA" as espoused in its various forms by men like Palmer, Still, Ingber, Langevin, and others. Unfortunately, when you are bucking "THE SYSTEM," the process can be a long, slow, uphill battle. No; the word "battle" was not a mistake. In fact, I probably should have used the word "war" (click the previous link just to look at post titles).
It was the famed inventor, Thomas A. Edison, who stated around the turn of the century that, "The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease." Talk about a man who was ahead of his time! But much of the medical establishment and and certainly BIG PHARMA hate this sort of visionary thinking. It lessens (and in some cases completely negates) the need for DRUGS. Drugs equal profits, and this is the sort of information that will bring out the Pharmaceutical Industry's inner pit bull. Believe me when I tell you they will not go down without a fight. This is the very reason that today's so-called "EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE" is frequently anything but.
Founding Father and signer of our nation's Constitution, Dr. Benjamin Rush, saw this battle looming just below the horizon 250 years ago when me made the uncanny prediction, "Unless we put medical freedom into the Constitution, the time will come when medicine will organize itself into an undercover dictatorship." Face it. Standard Medical Healthcare is a dictatorship here in America ---- and a not too "undercover" one at that. But the truth is, your health as well as your healthcare decisions are still up to you. The question now is what are you going to do with them? You can either take the bull by the horns and take responsibility for your own health ---- or you can sit and wait for the next study touting the benefits of this pill or that surgery.
HERE is a good starting point for those of you struggling with Chronic Pain or Chronic Illness.
B.J. PALMER (1882-1961)
Vertebral Subluxations occur when individual vertebrate are either misaligned or not moving properly in relationship to each other. Among other problems created by the Subluxation Complex, they irritate nerve function, and interfere with the loop of nerve impulses from the brain to the body and back again via the spinal nerves (kind of like static distorting the music on an old AM radio). Although much greater technical details are known about the Vertebral Subluxation Complex today, much of what BJ discovered and taught was spot on. As you can imagine, subtly blocking nerve impulse can cause a whole host of health problems, including to, but not limited to pain.
In order to promote chiropractic in the medically hostile environment of the early 1900's, BJ was not only a scientist of the highest order, he became an expert at marketing. During his tenure, Palmer College of Chiropractic actually owned a couple of radio and T.V. stations ---- one being the very station where one of America's greatest presidents, Ronald Regan, got his start in the show business industry as a radio announcer.
BJ's 33 PRINCIPLES OF CHIROPRACTIC
- UNIVERSAL INTELLIGENCE: Although BJ was not, as far as I can tell, a Christian; he recognized that life was far too complex to have arisen via random chance, and then developed its incredible diversity via random mutations --- the thing we today call Darwinistic Evolution. Instead of calling this "life force" God, he chose to call it Universal Intelligence. As a Christian, I would attribute things like creation, diversity of life, etc, as the work of God, as accounted in Genesis.
- INNATE INTELLIGENCE: Innate Intelligence is the manifestation of Universal Intelligence (God) within our bodies. We all have an "inborn" or Innate Intelligence that is just simply "there". Is it not amazing that even helpless babies innately know how to suckle their mother's breast? The body also innately knows how to heal itself when the various interferences to its healing processes are removed. Just like BJ said, The same power that made the body heals the body. This is another of BJ's simple principles of Chiropractic.
- EDUCATED INTELLIGENCE: This is our brain power and the things that we learn via both formal and informal education. Just like numerous other genius' of his era, BJ did not have significant amounts of formal education. But, as Dr. Fred Barge always said, "A Degree Doth not a Doctor Make". What B.J. lacked in formal education he made up for in other ways. He had a brilliant mind, the need to figure things out, a love of writing, an insatiable thirst for knowledge, and an almost inhuman drive to advance his belief that Chiropractic was the answer to humanity's illness. Unfortunately, the venerable Dr. Tim O'Shea would agree with me that America's level of Educated Intelligence is diminishing year by year. I am not sure whether "common sense" would fall under Educated Intelligence or Innate Intelligence in BJ's scheme of things.
- VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATION: Vertebral Subluxations are simply Spinal Vertebrate that have lost both normal alignment and motion in relationship to each other. This loss of normal spinal structure and function leads to numerous health problems including NERVE INTERFERENCE, SPINAL DEGENERATION, FASCIAL ADHESIONS, & INFLAMMATION, as well as abnormal tone of the body. And although today's medical community would vehemently deny it, it also leads to almost every disease process you can imagine (Stick around for tomorrow's Blog Post).
Principle #32: The Principle of Coordination: Coordination is the principle of harmonious action of all the parts of an organism, in fulfilling their offices and purposes.
Principle #31: Subluxations: Interference with nerve transmission in the body is always directly or indirectly due to subluxations in the spinal column.
Principle #30: The Causes of Dis-ease: Interference with the transmission of Innate forces causes incoordination of nerve impulse, which causes dis-ease.
Principle #29: Interference with Transmission of Innate Forces: There can be interference with the transmission of Innate forces.
Principle #28: The Conductors of Innate Forces: The forces of Innate Intelligence operate through or over the nerve system in animal bodies.
Principle #27: The Normality of Innate Intelligence: Innate Intelligence is always normal and its function is always normal.
Principle #26: Comparison of Universal and Innate Forces: In order to carry on the universal cycle of life, Universal forces are destructive, and Innate forces constructive, as regards structural matter.
Principle #25: The Character of Innate Forces: The forces of Innate Intelligence never injure or destroy the structures in which they work.
Principle #24: The Limits of Adaptation: Innate Intelligence adapts forces and matter for the body as long as it can do so without breaking a universal law, or Innate Intelligence is limited by the limitations of matter.
Principle #23: The Function of Innate Intelligence: The function of Innate Intelligence is to adapt universal forces and matter for use in the body, so that all parts of the body will have co-ordinated action for mutual benefit.
Principle #22: The Amount of Innate intelligence: There is 100% of Innate Intelligence in every "living thing," the requisite amount, proportional to its organization.
Principle #21: The Mission of Innate Intelligence: The mission of Innate Intelligence is to maintain the material of the body of a "living thing" in active organization.
Principle #20: Innate Intelligence: A "living thing" has an inborn intelligence within its body, called Innate Intelligence.
Principle #19: Organic Matter: The material of the body of a "living thing" is organized matter.
Principle #18: Evidence of Life: The signs of life are evidence of the intelligence of life.
Principle #17: Cause and Effect: Every effect has a cause and every cause has effects.
Principle #16 Intelligence in both Organic and Inorganic Matter: Universal Intelligence gives force to both organic and inorganic matter.
Principle #15: No Motion without the Effort of Force: Matter can have no motion without the application of force by intelligence.
Principle #14: Universal Life: Force is manifested by motion in matter; all matter has motion, therefore there is universal life in all matter.
Principle #13: The Function of Matter: The function of matter is to express force.
Principle #12: Interference with Transmission of Universal Forces: There can be interference with transmission of universal forces.
Principle #11: The Character of Universal Forces: The forces of Universal Intelligence are manifested by physical laws; are unswerving and unadapted, and have no solicitude for the structures in which they work.
Principle #10: The Function of Force: The function of force is to unite intelligence and matter.
Principle #9: The Amount of Force Created by Intelligence: The amount of force created by intelligence is always 100%.
Principle #8: The Function of Intelligence: The function of intelligence is to create force.
Principle #7: The amount of Intelligence in Matter: The amount of intelligence for any given amount of matter is always 100%, and is always proportional to its requirements.
Principle#6: The Principle of Time: There is no process that does not require time.
Principle#5: The Perfection of the Triune: In order to have 100% Life, there must be, 100% Intelligence, 100% Force, 100% Matter.
Principle#4: The Triune of Life: Life is a triunity having three necessary united factors, namely, Intelligence, Force and Matter.
Principle #3: The Union of Intelligence and Matter: Life is necessarily the union of intelligence and matter.
Principle #2: The Chiropractic Meaning of Life: The expression of Universal Intelligence through matter is the Chiropractic meaning of life.
Principle #1: The Major Premise: A Universal Intelligence is in all matter and continually gives to it all its properties and actions, thus maintaining it in existence.
THE SEVEN AXIOMS OF CHIROPRACTIC PHILOSOPHY AS SUMMED UP BY
DR. JASON BLACKETTER OF BENTONVILLE ARKANSAS
BJ's Work Simplified to Seven Concepts
- Life is intelligently designed and able to heal, adapt, and function in Balance, Harmony, and Ease.
- Your Innate Life Energy (the inborn power source that makes you alive) uses your brain and nerve system to send its life-giving messages (mental impulses) to coordinate / organize / direct all the functions of life…so you can live at EASE and adapt better to stress in your environment.
- Every cell in your body needs a clear neurological connection to the brain in order to function optimally. A reduction OR partial LOSS of this vital brain-to-body connection diminishes the flow of life-giving messages…this state of LESS life energy in the body is called subluxation.
- The results of an incomplete connection to your life energy are: incomplete adaptation, disharmony, imbalance, DIS-ease, and altered cellular function.
- Every single Symptom, Sickness, Syndrome, Disorder, Dysfunction, and Disease known to man results from Altered Cellular Function, LOSS of Coordination & Organization, and a Decreased Ability to fully Adapt to Stress.
- Because of the intimate relationship between the SPINE and NERVE SYSTEM, the spine must maintain proper alignment and balance for the nerves to maintain proper tone and function. A Specific Scientific Chiropractic Adjustment can improve spinal function AND restore your brain-to-body neurological CONNECTION.
- The natural result of maintaining a clear connection between brain & body is: LIFE more at EASE. We expect MORE coordination, balance, harmony, cellular homeostasis, healing & improved health, optimal function, and an on-going movement toward wellness and wholeness.
THE ORIGINAL FASCIA DOCTOR
A.T. Still was a medical doctor who was the son of a medical doctor / preacher who broke away from his chosen profession to begin a new healing art called Osteopathy. In many ways, these early Osteopaths were America's "original" Chiropractors.
Osteopathy was founded in Kirksville Missouri during the late 1800s by Kansas / Missouri physician Dr. A.T. Still. Still was sick and tired of the the inadequacy of treatment options available to his era's doctors. So Dr. Still began a new form of healing that was based on the premise that the body was an incredible creation of God, and that the frame (musculoskeletal system) was far more important than anyone thought at the time. He treated bones for symmetry, FASCIA to relieve strain, and muscles normalize tone. In fact, he developed a whole new way of thinking about the body. Unfortunately, most of this has been lost by today's osteopaths.
In America, D.O.'s have the same status as M.D.'s. This is largely because during the 1960's, osteopathy sold out to conventional medicine by becoming "physicians" instead of osteopaths. The truth is that few modern osteopaths practice in a fashion even remotely envisioned or taught by its founder Dr. Still. You already know the reason. Money! Osteopathic manipulation, like CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS, take a great deal of time to learn and perfect; and it takes constant practice if the goal is helping people and not hurting them. Unfortunately, today's practice of medicine is not very personalized or family oriented. Instead, it is insurance-based and corporate.
The old Osteopaths are long gone. In fact, excepting Doc Wilson, the several from around here had already retired and died by the time I moved here and began my practice two decades ago. Doc Hampton of Summersville, Doc O'Banion of Birch Tree, Doc Barnum of Mountain View, and Doc Wilson in Eminence, as well as a few others.
These were the doctors that would not only take care of you when you were sick, but would actually make house calls, deliver your babies, sew you up when you needed stitches, cast your broken bones, and even do minor surgeries --- tonsillectomies, appendectomies, ingrown toenails, etc, right there in the office. But they also understood the power of adjustments. No, no, no, they did not call them adjustments ---- they were "osteopathic manipulations" ---- usually referred to as 'treatments'. But with many of these old time D.O.'s, no matter what other treatment you may have gotten, you always received some sort of manipulation (this was particularly true of Doc O'Banion and Doc Wilson). This is because the Osteopaths of generations gone by had bought in to Dr. Still's philosophy and seen how successful it was on a day to day basis with their patients.
You see, despite the fact that A.T. Still was considered a "frontier" doctor, his philosophy on healing was light years ahead of most of the medical profession of his day. And although the modern Osteopaths have long-abandoned it, this is still true when compared to today's "Drugs & Surgery First" medical community. But Still was far from the status quo. Like B. J. Palmer who would come shortly after him (their lives actually overlapped 35 years) he wrote book after book after book on the philosophy of healing ---- philosophy that is in many ways as valid and visionary today as it was back in the day. Dr. Still understood that the body had a remarkable ability to heal itself if interference was removed and the right conditions were met. His tools were his hands and he used them both to diagnose patients and treat them. This sounds a lot like our "Old School" Chiropractors ---- many of which are still in practice today. Sound like any D.O.'s you know today? Didn't think so. But this used to be the norm.
Stick around tomorrow and learn about the Developer of Chiropractic, Dr. B.J. Palmer.
SCHIERLING CHIROPRACTIC, LLC
PAM; WHOLE BODY FASCIAL ADHESIONS
MARY: SHOULDER / ROTATOR CUFF
LONNIE: BULL RIDER / NECK & BACK PAIN
MORE ON (MORON) LYRICA
FIBROMYALGIA'S 'DRUG OF CHOICE'
The drug manufacturing giant announced last week that their neuropathy study on the effectiveness of their drugs on HIV Neuropathy was stopped early. Why? Only because after analyzing data part way through the study, no benefit was found for the drug. And then they looked at these drugs in relationship to Diabetic Neuropathy. Guess what? That group was not helped either. The results of the drug group were not statistically different from those seen in the placebo group (3.9 versus 3.5 points on a standard 10-point scale). But don't take it from me. Listen to what Pfizer's spokespeople said about the study.
"The results revealed that the improvements in neuropathic pain symptoms in this study were virtually identical between the Lyrica and placebo treatments".
In case you have not figured it out yet, the drugs used by our Medical Community to treat Neuropathy do not work well. In fact, according to the "EVIDENCE-BASED DATA" they work quite poorly. If you want to understand the best ways to deal with Neuropathy, you need to check out a few links.
- NEUROPATHY AND UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR
- NEUROPATHY AND GLUTEN
- NEUROPATHY AND AUTOIMMUNITY
- NEUROPATHY AND GUT HEALTH
YEAH --- THAT PRETTY MUCH DESCRIBED ME
Like I mentioned, one of the laws of nutrition that I learned while at Kansas State was that that dietary fat was the "Great Satan". I sat under Ph.D professors who taught me day-in-and-day-out that dietary fat is what makes a person fat --- so avoid it like the plague. Although lip service was paid to the "Good Fats", I was essentially taught that there is no such thing as a good fat. I learned that we should all be eating a grain-based diet that is high in pasta, bread, and potatoes (THE FOOD PYRAMID --- 8-11 servings of starchy carbs / day). I was taught that "fortified" and "enriched" products were just as good as unprocessed foods. Everyone who was in the nutritional "know" knew these great truths and tried to follow them. Wow, was I ever a moron!
Almost 20 years ago, I noticed that I was fighting to maintain my weight and did not have the same degree of energy that I used to have. The first thing I did was to cut all fat from my diet, take bunches of expensive synthetic vitamins, and ratchet up my exercise routine to full blast. It almost killed me. But I did not understand why. About that time, the Atkins diet was gaining in popularity. I read Atkins revolutionary book that actually came out in the early 70's, and then followed it with a book by a husband and wife team of MD's (the Eades) called Protein Power. Although it made a lot of sense metabolically and biochemically, it was so foreign to the thought processes that were engrained into me, I figured I would die if I tried it.
Around that same time I attended my first Whole Food Nutritional Seminar by the brilliant Dr. Janet Lang of St. Louis. It was there that I started learning about Standard Process (the oldest and most well-known Whole Food nutritional company in America --- over 80 years and counting). I learned about their brilliant founder ROYAL LEE, and the way he was persecuted by the FDA for selling nutritional supplements made from food, instead of selling the crystallized, chemically synthesized, fractionated synthetic substances that we erroneously call vitamins. I shortened my exercise routine, began avoiding processed grains and sugar, continued loading up on vegetables, and began taking Whole Food Supplements starting with my breakfast drink of GREENS, SP COMPLETE, and ground Flax Seeds, CATALYN and DRENAMIN. The difference was amazing and almost instantaneous.
Immediately I had more energy. And as I ate foods that I had avoided for years, while avoiding foods that had been my dietary staple for 7-8 years, the pounds melted off my midsection. Don't ever believe for even a single minute that all FOODS OR NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS are alike.
SYSTEMIC (WHOLE BODY) INFLAMMATION
PUTTING OUT THE FIRE!
- Dolar (Pain)
- Calor (Heat)
- Rubor (Redness)
- Tumor (Swelling)
- Functio Laesa (Loss of Function)
Although inflammation can remain in a local area (I stub my toe, the toe gets red and inflamed), they can invade the blood stream and have a systemic (whole body) effect as well. Although doctors do not typically educate their patients about this important little tidbit of information, these chemicals that we refer to collectively as "inflammation" (prostaglandins, leukotrienes, thromboxanes, cytokines, chemokines, certain enzymes, kinnins, histamines, eicosanoids, substance P, tumor necrosis factors, interleukins, along with dozens of others) are being touted by the medical community as the primary cause of a whole host of physical ailments (HERE is a list).
It is not that Inflammation is a bad thing in and of itself. These chemicals that make up "Inflammation" are actually your body's normal response to tissue damage. In the correct amounts, these chemicals are crucial not only to healing properly, but to insure immune system responses to various attacks or injuries to your body.
However, as these chemicals become increasingly elevated systemically (think of high histamine levels that people try and control with anti-histamines), they drive the body's Immune System Response to higher and higher levels causing scads of major health problems ---- including obesity. This is because Chronic (long term) Inflammation is characterized by destruction and healing in the affected tissue ---- at the same time! Some of the other problems that Inflammation is known to cause includes;
- Disc Injuries, Slipped Disc, Disc Herniation, and Disc Rupture (HERE)
- Heart Disease and virtually all forms of Cardiovascular Problems (HERE)
- Skin conditions including Eczema and Psoriasis (HERE)
- Arthritis & Fibromyalgia (HERE & HERE)
- Asthma (HERE)
- ADD, ADHD, Depression, and various forms of Dementia (HERE)
- Neurological Conditions (HERE)
- Female Issues (HERE)
- Cancer (HERE)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease / Leaky Gut Syndrome (HERE)
- Diabetes, Insulin Resistance, Hypoglycemia, and other Blood Sugar Regulation Problems (HERE)
- Obesity (HERE)
Whoa!!! That is a whale of a list! Simply put; inflammation causes pain, ill health, and eventually, death. It also happens to be part of the UNIVERSAL CAUSE / UNIVERSAL CURE of most disease --- even many of those that you doctor has been trying to pawn off on BAD GENETICS. Trying to get healthy or get to a normal weight without addressing underlying "Inflammation" is a game that you can never win. Oh, you might think that you have everything under control for awhile, but eventually the problem(s) will return.
Now that you have a basic understanding of inflammation; the questions should become: How did I get it in the first place (HERE'S A SELF-TEST)? And maybe more importantly; How do I get rid of it or prevent it? Since there are no drugs that safely lower the over-abundance of inflammatory chemicals in the body (HERE or HERE); how can you go about lowering Inflammation yourself?
I can answer this question in one word, "Lifestyle". A diet of processed food, JUNK FOOD, and SODAS; with little or no fresh FRUITS & VEGETABLES, will seriously elevate your levels of systemic (whole body) inflammatory chemicals. CIGARETTES, obesity, lack of exercise, and CONSTANT STRESS, will cause these levels of inflammatory chemicals to climb even further. On the other hand.....
A lifestyle of CONTENTMENT, EXERCISE, WHOLE FOODS, and supplementing with Omega Three Fatty Acids (PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE FISH OIL is our #1 best-seller for ten years in a row) will help keep inflammatory chemicals in check, and often help reverse the associated disease processes as well as the pain and symptoms that go with. Even though our medical community is slow to admit it (HERE), a growing body of scientific research is showing us that in regards to our overall health and well-being, drugs are usually not the best solution (HERE), nor are they the safest solution (HERE). It comes back to common sense, lifestyle, diet, and exercise. Ah…… but you already knew that.
CHRONIC INFLAMMATION, CHRONIC INFECTIONS,
TOXICITY, & FOOD SENSITIVITIES
When your body is exposed to infection (BACTERIAL, ORAL, VIRAL, PARASITIC, YEAST / FUNGUS, MOLD, etc -- or a DYSBIOTIC GUT), partially digested food particles, toxins, chemical irritants, HEAVY METALS, etc; it mounts an immune response against whatever it perceives as a threat. Some of you may be eating the cleanest diet on the planet, but if you have an underlying problem causing Systemic Inflammation, AUTOIMMUNITY, & LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, you are probably starting to realize why you can't lose weight and keep it off, or why you have so many health problems despite your best efforts.
The good news is that I have given you a generic template for solving most of these problems. HERE is is --- free of charge with no strings attached. No, it's not a magic pill. Yes, it will require some work and effort. The coolest thing about it is that it shows you how to break the sugar and carb addictions that are holding you back. Does it work? In many cases it works like magic (HERE).
PHIL'S AMAZING JOURNEY
THE D’s OF CHRONIC PAIN
As science continues to reveal the effects of Chronic Pain on various areas of people’s lives (physical, emotional, psychological, sexual, etc), we are realizing that it potentially has some far-reaching consequences. One of the most amazing findings that I have ever seen, has to do with atrophy (shrinking of the brain) seen on brain scans of people with Chronic Pain. Brain scans of people with Chronic Pain frequently show patterns of atrophy (shriveling / shrinking) virtually identical to those of people with ALZHEIMER'S OR SIMILAR DEMENTIA. The biggest difference is that atrophy induced by CHRONIC PAIN can often be reversed --- just get rid of the pain! Another study says that the brains of Chronic Pain patients atrophy at nearly ten times the rate of the general population.
There is a great deal of debate within the medical community over what is the best treatment for people with Chronic Pain (all debate revolves around THE BIG FIVE). There is one camp that says CORTICOSTEROIDS and NSAIDS (as well as similar fare like TYLENOL) are extremely dangerous to the musculoskeletal system (they are very degenerative), as well as the liver, kidneys, and heart. They are correct in their analysis of this class of drugs. Their solution? Prescribe more NARCOTICS. As you may be aware from watching the 6 o'clock news, this isn't working out so well. Enter camp two.
The other camp -- the camp that does not like to prescribe anything other than anti-inflammation drugs or weak pain relievers because they understand that people get addicted to narcotics. This camp also tends to rely more heavily on MUSCLE-RELAXERS and ANTIDEPRESSANTS as well The truth of the matter is that both camps are freqently going about things the wrong way. Using drugs to provide relief of long-term or 'chronic' pain, is a slippery slope that frequently leads to numerous problems (HERE is one), mostly because it does virtually nothing to change underlying pathophysiology (HERE). Fortunately for those of you dealing with Chronic Pain, although you may have to search to find it, there's a third camp.
When it comes to the best ways to help people struggling with Chronic Pain, why not try and figure out what's actually causing it, and then try to deal with it at its source? Is this really such a novel idea? Apparently it is, because it is not uncommon for me to see patients who have been living with chronic pain for decades, that could have been dealt with in a fairly simple fashion (HERE is one example, and HERE are several others). Most of these patients have been to more doctors than you can shake a stick at, and know exactly what it's like to get stuck riding the MEDICAL MERRY-GO-ROUND.
I would never hope to insinuate that all Chronic Pain can be easily fixed in our office. The truth is, there are about a million and one reasons that people end up with Chronic Pain and / or chronic illness (HERE are a few, along with potential solutions). However, I never ceased to be amazed at just how many people we are able to help (HERE). What do people who have Chronic Pain tend to look like? What characteristics do they have in common? They frequently progress through patterns of what I call "The D’s of Chronic Pain". Follow along and see whether you fit into one or more of these categories.
- DRAMATIZATION OR DENIAL: These are the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as not being honest with yourself or others about your Chronic Pain is concerned. Sometimes people with Chronic Pain tend to be overly-dramatic about their pain -- their goal is to try and get others to understand their pain, while still others in this group are guilty of CATASTROPHIZING. On the flip side of this coin are what I call 'minimizers' (men are far more guilty than women). These people minimize their struggle with pain, attempting to hide it from others -- particularly people outside of their family circle. Ask them how they are doing and they'll throw up a forced smile and say "fine", even when it is painfully obvious they are anything but (HERE).
- DYSFUNCTION & DISUSE: This is a vicious cycle, within a vicious cycle. Chronic Pain leads to an inability to function; and inability to function leads to disuse. And because the old statement, 'use it or lose it,' is far more true than it's simple cliche-like name would imply, disuse leads to chronic pain. Repeat these cycles until you are six feet under (see final bullet point). People with Chronic Pain have to find some way to EXERCISE and / or move their bodies. Talk to me if you cannot figure out some sort of way to put your body in motion. If you cannot move on your own, WHOLE BODY VIBRATION has shown some amazing results. Bottom line, sitting in the chair, watching TV, and giving in to your pain is unfortunately going to lead to more of the same.
- DEGENERATION: A cold, hard, medical fact is that joints that don't move properly wear out. This loss of motion can be either sectional (MY NECK DOESN'T MOVE) or segmental (my C3 vertebrae is not moving on my C4 vertebrae). Although doctors, THERAPISTS, masseuses, can easily determine whether or not there is a loss of sectional movement, it usually takes a chiropractor to figure out where the segmental losses of motion are (HERE). Fail to restore and maintain proper joint integrity, and the vicious cycle of abnormal motion, arthritis, and pain is where you are headed (HERE).
- DRUGS & DIALYSIS: Many people with Chronic Pain have tried all sorts of drugs to relieve their pain (both legal and illegal). If you suffer with Chronic Pain, I not need to remind you that these do not typically work well. Although there are plenty of drugs capable of bringing short-term symptomatic relief, there are no drugs that effectively deal with Chronic Pain over the long haul; and most have a wide array of SIDE EFFECTS including addiction, destruction of collagen-based tissues, heart problems, liver problems, and on, and on, and on….. However, it is the drug-induced kidney problems (requiring DIALYSIS) that have factored heavily into recent health-related headlines.
- DEPENDENCY: When we think of dependency, most of us think of substance dependency (some sort of drug or alcohol addiction). While this is often true, the dependency can be related not only to a substance, but to a person or device as well. People become dependent on whatever allows them to cope with their pain. That could be MEDIA (internet, T.V., movies, etc,). It could be SUGAR OR JUNK FOOD. It could be something like a TENS unit (that unfortunately lose their effectiveness over time). It might be a wheel chair. Or it could even be another person, a spouse, child, caregiver, etc. While some of these things might be necessary and even critical, the unfortunate truth is that any sort of dependency results in a continuing erosion of personal freedom and independence.
- DEPRESSION, DEMENTIA & DESPONDENCY: These three are definitely related (I touched a bit on dementia earlier). For years I have been treating patients who have been told repeatedly that their Chronic Pain is being caused by DEPRESSION (this is why so many Chronic Pain patients are prescribed SSRI’S.) Be aware that not only is this not what the medical literature is mostly saying, it is frequently saying the exact opposite. People are often depressed because Chronic Pain is preventing them from doing the things that they love to do. And Despondency is the next step in the cycle. These are the people who sometimes go as far as taking their own life because of Chronic Pain (HERE).
- DISTRESS: Distress is exactly what it sounds like; this stress. Webster’s has this to say about 'Distress'. It is a state of great pain, affliction, or suffering. Believe me when I tell you that Chronic Pain is a never-ending, stressful event. Unfortunately, a steady state of stress fries the Adrenal Glands and causes Adrenal Fatigue. And interestingly enough, ADRENAL FATIGUE is the old name for FIBROMYALGIA.
- DISASTER: When people live in a chronic state of pain and stress, disaster seems to follow them like the cloud of dust that follows Charlie Brown's Pigpen. These could include divorce (another "D"), loss of income, loss of property, poor decisions, GULLIBILITY, etc. These people often become desperate (still another "D"). Much of this is due to the following bullet.
- DISABILITY: The legal definition of 'Disability' is, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of such individual. This is a rather generic definition to say the least! Without getting into a discussion over the incredible numbers of freeloaders who have figured out how to game the system in order to draw monthly checks from the government, suffice it to say that Chronic Pain prevents large numbers of people from doing things that they want to do --- including work.
- DISSECTION & DEATH: Sooner or later, people who suffer with Chronic Pain are going to be offered a surgical solution to their problem. In some cases this is great. If you have a COMPLETELY WORN OUT HIP, by all means get it replaced. But no one can argue that much, perhaps even the majority, of surgery done in the United States is unnecessary. Back in the 1990's, the massive actuarial and consulting firm, Milliman & Robertson, published a study for the US government showing 60% of all surgeries are unnecessary. This lines up fairly well with a decades-old study from JAMA saying that as many as half of all surgeries are unnecessary. As far as the last "D" is concerned, just remember that Chronic Pain kills. The end result of all of this is Death.
Although I wouldn't go back and do it again for a million dollars, my experience with seven or eight years of horrible foot pain (there were plenty of times I wondered if simply having it amputated and going with a Long John Silver style peg might be better) helped me understand where so many of my patients are coming from. It's also why I'm not only relentless about trying to solve your chronic pain (HERE), it's why I give away tons of DIY information free of charge. That's free as in free -- no strings attached.
NEW PROSTATE CANCER DRUGS HIT THE MARKET
HAVE WE LOST OUR MINDS?
After an expedited six-month review, Abiraterone was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration one year ago (April 2011). But what about side effects? Who knows? I guess if you're dying of aggressive Prostate Cancer, side effects are not exactly at the top of your worry list. Thus, the trial was stopped after only six months because of its astounding success. What did Zytiga do that was so off-the-charts amazing, and just how successful is this "miracle drug" at curing Prostate Cancer? It's not. It adds a little over 100 days to the average lifespan of those dying with terminal Prostate Cancer. To put it in scientific terms, the trial showed that it extended the average survival survival rate of castration-resistant prostate cancer (formerly known as hormone-resistant prostate cancer ---- prostate cancer that does not respond to chemical castration) from 11.2 months 14.8 months.
Despite being licensed by the European Medicines Agency, it is not currently available for routine use in Europe. Why not? Who can afford it? At a cost of over $5,000 / month to extend the inevitable by just over three months, it is simply not cost-effective. But speaking of massively hyped prostate drugs in this same class (non cost-effective --- don't cure anything), enter Provenge. Provenge, a vaccine that was manufactured for the same problem as Zytiga actually does slightly better. On average, it increases lifespan by a whopping 120 days (4 months) --- about ten days longer than Zytiga. And the full course of treatment only costs $93,000 ($31,000 for three "infusions" given over the course of a month). Gulp!
Guess what? Socialist Europe has figured out that it can't afford to pay for these drugs ---- but who do you think still blieves we can? In America, Medicare and Medicaid are legally prohibited from considering cost when deciding whether to pay for a treatment that has been "OK'd" as both safe and effective by the FDA as both of these drugs have. And the real kicker to this story is that there are already two different drugs that do nearly the same thing Zytiga and Provenge (chemical castration ---- block Testosterone) that cost between $100 - $200 a month. Is it all about the money? I am not sure how you argue the opposite? But that's the joy of EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE! Especially when it comes to CANCER. If you are looking for solutions to tough problems, at least take a look at THIS POST.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration