DIET OR EXERCISE
| || |
AMERICA'S CRAZY VACCINATION SCHEDULE, MERCURY,
AND THE LINK TO NEUROLOGICAL DISEASES
Robert Jr. is one of America's leading environmental attorneys, who, interestingly enough, happens to be leading the charge against the way we do Vaccinations here in America. But make no mistake about it; he is not one of those crazy "Anti-Vaxxers". In fact, he is very much for government-mandated Vaccines. Huh? How can a person be pro-vaccination, but against it at the same time? Easy. Although he is not against Vaccines per se, he is very much against the Mercury that is used to "preserve" them via a product called Thimerosal.
In case you were not aware, MERCURY is the single most toxic non-radioactive element on the planet. Exposure to Mercury (Hg on the Periodic Table) can cause an array of physical symptoms, the majority of which happen to be neurological. How toxic is Mercury? In the video, Kennedy tells us that, "it is 1,000 times more toxic than lead". There have been any number of books written about Mercury (Thimerosal) in Vaccines, but the first one I read was 2005's Evidence of Harm - Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic, A Medical Controversy by David Kirby. In similar fashion, we have RFK Jr's brand new Thimerosal - Let the Science Speak as well as the documentary that goes along with called Trace Amounts.
RFK's interview below with Bill Maher is truly amazing. Kennedy talks about the corruption in the CDC --- most particularly the part of the CDC that deals with Vaccines (probably even worse than the CORRUPTION SEEN IN THE FDA), and paints the organization, "as a cesspool of corruption". After watching this short video, you'll see why I continue to tell you that there is absolutely NO CREDIBILITY WITHIN MEDICINE'S BUREAUCRACY. But the aspect of his interview that I think we all need to pay attention to is the fact that he is using the very same mountain of peer-reviewed scientific literature that the CDC said "proved" there is no link between VACCINES AND AUTISM, to show that there is.
If you have children or grandchildren, I would beg you to pay attention to this issue. Americans are being bamboozled, and it's those same children and grandchildren (not to mention the average tax-paying citizen) who are paying the price. I'm in no way a fan of Maher (I will warn you that he drops his token "F-bomb" in this video), but kudos to him (he is extremely pro-vaccination) for allowing RFK to come on his show and talk about this issue that will increasingly affect each and every one of you in one way or another. Shucks; the powers that be (probably his advertisers) took the video down. Sorry.
ARE MANUAL THERAPISTS TREATING
TOO MUCH, TOO LITTLE, OR BOTH?
"I just want to tell you how refreshing it was to read your website! I started out as an exercise physiologist, and have been a PT now for 20 years. For years I have been explaining to doctors and reassuring patients that the bruising I cause with my treatments is OK and part of the process when getting rid of fascial adhesions. My patients have outcomes much better than those seeing other therapists. It’s sad because the majority of physical therapists do minimal to no hands-on anymore and I cringe when I watch their patients not get better. As horrible as it sounds, I tell my patients that it is like tenderizing meat! You have to break up the adhesions first if you are going to get anywhere with stretching........."
The concept of breaking the FASCIAL ADHESIONS before starting a STRETCHING PROTOCOL is of critical importance. It's also why TREATMENT MUST SOMETIMES BE HARSH. As for her "hands on" statement, I think that this is becoming the norm for most healthcare providers, and is something I hear from patients constantly --- particularly with orthopedists and neurologists. "I went to see the specialist, paid him $500 bucks, and all he did was talk to me for 5 minutes, make me bend over and try to touch my toes, and tap on my reflexes." In their defense, most healthcare providers are so busy DOING THIS, they no longer have time for their patients. Lisa went on to say that,
"You are also right that doctors don’t know. I have made so many people better who have been told by their doctors 'you have arthritis, you just aren’t as young as you were'. That’s a cop-out because most people can get excellent improvement with the right manual techniques and stretches. The excellent descriptions, pictures, stretches, and information on your website was a breath of fresh air! Finally someone who thinks and treats as I do. I Google information for my patients all the time but have never seen your website. Funny I found it because I was looking up effects of abdominal adhesions and how to keep them from returning. You have such an excellent description of fascia, I will be referring my patients to your website to help them understand and to look at your stretches. I never write on websites but I had to give you props for the excellent patient care professional it seems you are!"
Wow, thanks for the "props" Lisa. When it comes to breaking ADHESED FASCIA, bruising is something to be embraced (HERE). I recently saw an out-of-state patient who had been through 18 treatments of something supposedly 'similar' to what I do. I asked him, and he told me there was little or no bruising with any of these treatments. When this person left my office after his first and only visit to see me, his arms looked like they had been repeatedly run over by a bulldozer. You can read about his results HERE.
Patients are tired of DRUGS, and they are tired of excuses and "cop outs". People whose lives are being held ransom by CHRONIC PAIN, are after one thing and one thing only ---- relief. They want to live their lives on their terms, doing what they love to do, without pain. A bruise after treatment? Do you really think they care? Have you ever seen the bruises people have coming out of surgery? Bruise, schmooze! I've been doing this work for 15 of my 25 years in practice, and my guess is that Lisa would agree; people could not care less about a bruise because it's a means to an end --- the end of their Chronic Pain.
BACK TO THE QUESTION AT HAND
TOO MUCH TREATMENT OR NOT ENOUGH TREATMENT?
On the other hand, too few patients, like Lisa told us, are getting anything other than a minimal amount of "hands-on" treatment anymore. Instead they get things like MUSCLE RELAXERS, PAIN MEDS, NSAIDS, and CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS from their doctors, and modalities from their practitioners (ultrasound, TENS, electric stimulation, etc, etc, etc). And if they do get hands-on therapy, it's usually (back to Lisa again) not intense enough (her words, not mine). If you simply take a moment and study SCAR TISSUE, it's easy to see why treatment sometimes needs to be intense enough to cause bruising. Any treatment that is not intense enough to break said Scar Tissue, is sub-threshold. Lots of practitioners will tell their patients that a whole lot of very mild, "sub-threshold" treatment will eventually, over time, get through the Scar Tissue. In the majority of cases, it simply does not work that way. A whole lot of nothing is still nothing (HERE).
If you are wondering about the results seen with this approach, make sure and watch some of my VIDEO TESTIMONIALS. Pay attention and see that not only are these people getting fantastic results, they are typically getting them in a fraction of the amount of time.
HEARTBURN / ACID REFLUX DRUGS
MORE DANGEROUS THAN MOST PEOPLE REALIZE
"Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are medications that are ubiquitous in a gastroenterologist's practice. There have been emerging concerns with reports of potential adverse effects associated with use of PPIs. In the United States, such reports have led the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to issue a number of broad-based product warnings, including all of the available PPI drugs either for prescription or over-the-counter purchase. These potential interactions have ranged from alteration of absorption of vitamins and minerals, metabolic effects on bone density, drug interactions, or alterations of intended effect, infection risk, and hypersensitivity response with consequent organ damage." The introduction of a 2013 study (Reported Side Effects and Complications of Long-term Proton Pump Inhibitor Use) from the medical journal Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
"Clinicians should appreciate the risk of acute interstitial nephritis during treatment with PPIs, monitor patients appropriately and discourage the indiscriminate use of these drugs." From the latest issue of the Canadian Medical Association Journal (Proton Pump Inhibitors and the Risk of Acute Kidney Injury in Older Patients: A Population-Based Cohort Study). "Studies have shown that once you’re on them, it’s hard to stop taking them. It's almost like an addiction" Dr. Shoshana J. Herzig of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, from Roni Caryn Rabin's June 25, 2012 article in the New York Times called Combating Acid Reflux May Bring Host of Ills.
It seems that the same study has shown a nearly 300% increase in hospitalizations for Kidney Failure in the elderly patients who take these drugs. Here's the scoop. If you are over 65 and don't take heartburn drugs, your chances of ending up in the hospital for Kidney Failure are 5.46 out of 1,000 (number one reason is NSAID use / abuse). Take the PPI's and you increase your chances to 13.49 per 1,000 people. I don't care who you are, that's a scary increase ---- especially when you consider that hospitalization for Kidney Failure is just the tip of the iceberg. Kidney Failure means that now you get to look forward to dialysis for the rest of your (shortened) life.
But for a moment let's forget about Kidney Failure and dialysis. Because these drugs are so popular (some estimate they are taken by nearly 10% of the adult population, and are said to be the third most commonly taken class of drugs in America), I want to spend a few minutes showing you the wide array of health problems that Proton Pump Inhibitors are associated with in the peer-reviewed medical literature.
- HEARTBURN AND ACID REFLUX: Wait a minute. I was under the impression that these drugs are prescribed to solve this problem? Correct. However, in the same way that headache medications cause large numbers of headaches via a process known as "REBOUND" (headaches caused by the medicine itself), there is a similar phenomenon with PPI's known as "Rebound Acid". A study (Proton-Pump Inhibitor Therapy Induces Acid-Related Symptoms in Healthy Volunteers After Withdrawal of Therapy) as reported in the July 2009 issue of Gastroenterology, concluded that, "PPI therapy for 8 weeks induces acid-related symptoms in healthy volunteers after withdrawal." In case you were wondering; after factoring out the placebo effect, nearly 1/3 of the study's participants were affected.
- INFECTIONS: Contrary to popular opinion, we need plenty of really strong stomach acid for any number of reasons besides digestion (more on this shortly). Although I am not going to take time to list the myriad of studies here, be aware that the peer-reviewed scientific literature is associating PPI use with with increased chances of being infected by any number of bacteria, including H. PYLORI (the bacteria responsible for Stomach Ulcers), C. DIFF, PNEUMONIA, and several others. Couple the use of PPI's with ANTIBIOTICS and your odds of developing some sort of funky DYSBIOSIS skyrocket. All of this has to do with the fact that this class of drugs throws a monkey wrench in your MICROBIOME. This was seen in last year's study in the medical journal of the same name (Prolonged Use of A Proton Pump Inhibitor Reduces Microbial Diversity: Implications for Clostridium Difficile Susceptibility). While this study only looked at the effects of PPI's on C. Diff, once you realize that 80% of your Immune System is made up of the 500 to 2,000 different strains of "good" bacteria living in your Gut (HERE), it should become painfully obvious that this issue is far bigger than a single strain of bacteria.
- ANEMIA: This happens in at least two different ways. Firstly, you need strong stomach acid to digest protein. Despite what the vegan crowd will tell you, good ole red meat is one of the best sources of iron available. Besides this, you need strong stomach acid to ignite your body's intrinsic factor for vitamin B-12. A failure of either pathway leads to ANEMIA --- a deal-breaker as far as true recovery from chronic conditions is concerned.
- ALL MANNER OF MINERAL DEFICIENCIES, INCLUDING OSTEOPOROSIS: Minerals can only be absorbed in an extremely acidic environment such as the stomach. If you inhibit the amount or strength of the acid found there, you will inhibit your body's ability to absorb critical minerals --- even though your diet itself might contain plenty of said minerals. Again, this can lead to Anemia (see the previous bullet point), but is also a major factor in developing OSTEOPOROSIS. This is such a well known fact that our own FDA put out an official warning in March of 2011 (Possible Increased Risk of Fractures of the Hip, Wrist, and Spine with the Use of Proton Pump Inhibitors) stating that, "The available data show that patients at highest risk for fractures received high doses of prescription PPIs and/or used a PPI for one year or more. In contrast to prescription PPIs, OTC PPIs are marketed at low doses and are only intended for a 14 day course of treatment up to 3 times per year." As you'll soon see, few people take the OTC drugs in this class as suggested on the label.
- OBESITY: The truth is, just like SLEEP APNEA, having Heartburn or GERD (Gastroesophogeal Reflux Disease) is thought by most physicians and researchers to be a byproduct of OBESITY as well as our collectively crappy diets. However, we've known for a number of years that PPI's actually cause Obesity as well. This should not come as a big surprise once you realize that your weight is intimately related to the bacteria in your GUT, whether good or bad (HERE). No pun intended, but try this study on for size. The October 2009 issue of the World Journal of Gastroenterology (Long-Term Treatment with Proton Pump Inhibitor is Associated with Undesired Weight Gain) concluded that, "Long-term PPI treatment was associated with bodyweight gain in patients with GERD." How much weight gain? 71% of the test subjects gained an average of 6.2% of their bodyweight over an average of about two years time. Gulp!
- CARDIOVASCULAR PROBLEMS: Can you say heart disease and stroke? A group of eight physicians and researchers came to the conclusion in last April's issue of Circulation --- the official journal of the American Heart Association (Proton Pump Inhibitors and Cardiovascular Risk) that, "chronic exposure to PPIs might be expected to impair vascular homeostasis, and potentially expose consumers to an increased risk of major adverse cardiovascular events. We will soon publish pharmacovigilance data regarding this question. The accumulating data raises a concern for the medical community and regulatory bodies regarding the cardiovascular safety of these agents." Good luck with that. This class of drug is such a huge moneymaker, don't expect the FDA to step in any time soon. By the way, I wrote about this phenomenon a couple of years ago (HERE).
- ANXIETY & DEPRESSION: Although I have not seen actual studies on this, these side-effects are listed on the "trust us" insert found with PPI's. Once you understand the relationship between GUT HEALTH AND BRAIN FUNCTION, it's easy to grasp why.
- CONSTIPATION: CONSTIPATION is one of the most common side-effects of PPI use, and is easy to comprehend, once you understand the relationship of good bacteria to intestinal motility (the ability of your body to "push" digesting food through the intestines).
- OTHERS: Believe me when I tell you that I could have included any number of other problems here. The truth is, I could have written a book. Again; it's not hard to understand why, once you realize how foundational DIGESTION is to health. There are so many body systems can go haywire without plenty of potent Stomach Acid. I don't care how good your diet is; if you fail to digest and absorb the nutrients in your food, it doesn't really matter. Which is exactly what will happen --- especially when it comes to protein --- if you are deficient in Stomach Acid.
WHAT TO DO WITH THIS INFORMATION ABOUT PPI USE
The idea that you have too much or too strong Stomach Acid, and that it's causing your problems, is rarely anything other than pure and unadulterated poppycock. In case you have not figured it out, you need strong Stomach Acid, and lots of it for digestion. A failure in this area leads to a failure to digest food --- particularly protein ---- properly. Instead of digestion, the food goes through a process similar to fermentation called putrefaction (can you say putrefy?). This is where the food sits in your stomach and churns, not really digesting, but instead rotting, and not being allowed to enter into the Small Intestine because it's not acidic enough. Even though the food is not being digested by Stomach Acid (Hydrocholric Acid or HCl), it is high in other sorts of organic acids. Two things happen in this case.
Firstly, the valve at the bottom of the stomach tends to stay shut. When sensors detect high enough levels of Stomach Acid in the digesting food, the valve at the bottom of the stomach opens and allows the bolus into the small intestine. If not, the food tends to stay in the stomach too long, churning up into the esophagus and burning people. Sometimes this problem is so severe, people will have a burn line (ring) around their mouth / lips.
Interestingly enough, if you start looking, it's easy to find any number of physicians and researchers who are raising red flags about these drugs. Unfortunately, as far as the general public is concerned, the warnings seem to be falling on deaf ears (or more likely, they are being drowned out by Big Pharma). Despite the astounding number of Americans taking drugs from this class (children and particularly infants are the newest and hottest market), research reveals that like most drugs, they are way over-prescribed. We can turn to the VA (Veterans Administration) for an idea of just how severe this problem of over-prescription really is.
A 2013 study published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine called Proton Pump Inhibitor Prescriptions and Subsequent Use in US Veterans Diagnosed with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, concluded the following. "Many Veterans receive high total daily dose PPI prescriptions as initial therapy for a GERD diagnosis, and few patients have evidence for cessation or reduction of therapy." This begs the question of how high is high? Last May's issue of the Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research helped answer this by revealing that, "The quantity of initial PPI prescriptions provided to Veterans does not reflect the guideline recommendations for GERD management and could affect long-term use of these pervasive medications." In article carried by that same month in US Medicine: The Voice of Federal Medicine, the author of the previous study (Dr. Andrew Gawron) stated, "It seems that, once these veterans are prescribed a PPI, they are rarely taken off of it. Two years after their initial prescription, most are still on the drug."
If you are interested in getting off PPI's, you'll have to go about it systematically. As crazy as it might sound to you right now, one of the first things you'll need to do is acidify your stomach without acidifying your body. The acidifiers I currently use in practice are Raw Apple Cider Vinegar for mild cases (get it at any health food store), and Zypan, by STANDARD PROCESS for more severe cases. More than likely, you'll need to LOSE WEIGHT as well. HERE is a post to help with the whole process. Remember; the longer you are on these acid-blocking drugs, the greater the chances of developing severe, irreversible damage. And just for grins, why not ask your doctor some questions about the information found in this post before robotically filling your next prescription.
THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME SURGERY "FIXES" DALLAS WOMAN'S TOS,
BUT CAUSES MASSIVE PAIN AND SCAR TISSUE IN THE PROCESS
TWO VISITS SOLVE THE PROBLEM!
"issues that resulted in migraines from tightness in shoulder due to lifting, carrying something or sitting in front of a computer too long. The elbow, neck and shoulder (down the arm) area becomes inflamed / irritated and causes numbness to the hand / thumb. My main pain comes from the area where the rib was removed. The pain is extreme. I sit at a desk all day and my elbow will sometimes swell from a long day of work typing on my computer. The doctor thinks it could be scar tissue related to the surgery, and has discussed with me about having surgery to 'clean up' the area. I have declined the surgery for now."
And that's just for starters. She actually had two completely unnecessary surgeries before anyone figured out that her symptoms were being caused by TOS, and not something else. Believe me when I tell you that Patsy knows what it's like to ride the MEDICAL MERRY-GO-ROUND. After going to Physical Therapy for six weeks ("they said I have strength in all parts of the shoulder and no need to return"), a doctor specializing in MYOFASICAL SYNDROMES ("he could relive the pain for a few days by working on soft tissue, but would not last"), an Orthopedic Surgeon ("he suggested doing Botox to numb the area"), a Vascular Surgeon three different times ("he suggested surgery to remove the top fascia of the shoulder and clean the scar tissue. I have declined this for now also"), and any number of others, she decided to see if I could help. Although I believed her problem would respond to what I do, I NEVER MAKE PROMISES. Patsy decided to come up and see me, and the rest is history.
However, before we get to the video that Patsy sent me yesterday via email, I want to share with you the reason I am so high on Video Testimonials.
VIDEO TESTIMONIALS: THE TRUE DEFINITION OF HOPE
Don't get me wrong, giving people hope is not the only reason I put videos on my site. Part of it is educating the general public about what I do in my clinic. Because let's be honest with each other for a moment; how many of you would pay attention to my site (let alone find it) if it weren't for the numerous videos? They're a great way of letting desperate people dealing with Chronic Pain know that there is someone out there doing something RADICALLY DIFFERENT --- someone that may be able to help them with their particular CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROME. Plainly stated; they give people hope.
They are also a wonderful form of "evidence". With THE GOVERNMENT and BIG PHARMA teaming up to take over healthcare, the biggest catch-word of the day is "EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE". Without me going on a rant in this post, you can click on the link to see any number of reasons why this concept is largely a farce. although I truly appreciate seeing what the peer-reviewed scientific literature has to say about any number of health-related issues, evidence is real people with real problems (many for a real long time) really getting better and staying that way for long periods of time ---- maybe for the rest of their lives. I've found that there's no better way to let you see this 'evidence' than to give my patients a voice.
When I first met Patsy earlier this year, she was struggling to cope. Three surgeries and a botched rehab (not her fault) had left her with immense amounts of SCAR TISSUE in her neck, upper back, and TRAPEZIUS AREA. Despite going to specialist after specialist in the Dallas / Fort Worth area for the debilitating POST- SURGICAL CHRONIC NECK PAIN, she found relief in Mountain View, Missouri. Although she still has some tension in her trapezius muscle, Patsy has her life back. Although much of her life had been taken away by the surgery, there was one thing no one could take away from her ---- hope --- hope that someone could figure out what was causing her pain and fix it. It's what kept her going. Researching. Looking for answers. I'm going to let Patsy spread some of that hope with a video that comes straight from the Lone-Star state itself --- Texas.
| || |
I apologize to both Patsy and my readers that the video is not right side up. Unfortunately, I'm not a techie, and have no earthly idea how to fix it. It doesn't really matter though. Take a couple minutes to listen to what this tough, classy woman has to say, and you'll see for yourself. It's a message of hope that's as real as it gets. For more videos, just visit THIS PAGE.
IS YOUR CHILD HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CHRONIC EAR INFECTIONS?
COME SEE DOCTOR SCHIERLING
After Stephanie's four year old daughter (she is six now) developed a CHRONIC EAR INFECTION, she turned to the internet for answers and found our site. Take just a moment to absorb this TESTIMONIAL that was given to me yesterday (I last saw her two years ago).
At four years old, my daughter "N" had developed the first ear infection of her life. After taking her to her pediatrician and getting put on antibiotics, the ear infection cleared up and I thought she was fine. But two days after her medicine ran out her ear infection returned. So back to the pediatrician I went. This happened five different times within a two month period, each time with the doctor prescribing a different antibiotic. After the fifth time, her doctor told me she was going to need tubes to get the ears to drain.
After searching Dr. Schierling's website and finding his information on ear infections, I set up an appointment and brought her in. He adjusted her twice --- a week apart. It totally cleared up her ear infection and she has not had one since. - Stephanie Hobson, Willow Springs, MO
Once people begin to understand that ANTIBIOTICS are one of the worst things that could possibly be put in their children (HERE), like Stephanie, they begin looking for alternatives. Not only do Antibiotics destroy GUT HEALTH that is so critical for maintaining overall health, but because 80% OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM IS FOUND IN YOUR GUT, every round of Antibiotics weakens your Immune System, leaving you that much more susceptible to whatever infection happens to be coming down the pike. And when you / they get it, rest assured that the solution will be more of the same. Antibiotics. Isn't it time to break the vicious cycle and get healthy?
GOING GLUTEN FREE..... IS IT WORTH IT?
- GLUTEN FREE ISN'T NUTRITIOUS (AND MAYBE LESS SO): I can certainly buy this first point (and have actually written an article on it HERE). It's true because most people who go "Gluten Free" do so the wrong way. Processed food is processed food, whether or not it contains Gluten. If you are wanting to go Gluten Free, do an ELIMINATION DIET to find if you are sensitive. If so, don't run out and buy a whole bunch of Gluten Free products to take the place of the Gluten-containing products you dumped in your trash. The only real reason that anyone would avoid Gluten is because it can be a major cause of SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATION. Following an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET such as Functional Neurologist, Dr. David Seaman wrote about in an issue of Practical Pain Management, is by far the best way to go about it. His advice? Eat vegetation or animals that ate vegetation.
- YOU'LL PROBABLY INCREASE YOUR EXPOSURE TO ARSENIC: This statement makes the assumption that if you go Gluten Free, you'll be consuming much more rice --- a grain which Consumer Reports did an article on back in 2012. In today's article they state that, "A 2009-10 study from the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 17 percent of an average person’s dietary exposure to inorganic arsenic comes from rice." Before leaping to conclusions, just realize that an Elimination Diet is necessary in order to determine if rice is reactive to your Immune System (it's one of the 40 or 50 GLUTEN CROSS-REACTORS). Furthermore, if you are going to consume rice, you need to find a good source.
- YOU MIGHT GAIN WEIGHT: Let me put it this way; if you are gaining weight on a Gluten Free Diet, you are doing something drastically wrong (see the first bullet point). Weight gain occurs because there is a, "tendency for gluten-free foods to have more calories, sugars, and fat than their regular counterparts." Again, this is only true if you are eating those Processed Gluten Free foods I warned you about. It's under this point that Consumer Reports takes on books like Wheat Belly --- the bloating and BELLY FAT that is so heavily associated with Gluten Sensitivity. One more time; crappy processed foods are crappy processed foods, whether or not they contain Gluten.
- YOU'LL PAY MORE: Once again, this is only true if you are playing the "SUBSTITUTION GAME". Far too often, people expunge one type of unhealthy food from their diet, only to replace it with something equally as cruddy, but not widely thought to be cruddy (my next post is going to address this issue in more depth). If you are doing Gluten Free the proper way (PALEO or similar), it is not going to cost more, although most of those who are SERIOUSLY ADDICTED TO PROCESSED FOODS will argue incessantly that it will.
- YOU MIGHT MISS A SERIOUS HEALTH CONDITION: The author's reasoning on this point has to do with the difference between Celiac Disease and something called Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS). In this point, Consumer Reports warns that if people truly suspect Gluten is the culprit to their health woes, they should, "get a blood test to check for certain antibodies associated with celiac disease.... If it’s positive, then you should have an endoscopic biopsy of your small intestine to check for damage." But what if the test is negative, and you are still convinced Gluten is the culprit? After all, only about one in one hundred people have Celiac Disease --- an Autoimmune Disease whereby the body makes antibodies against and attacks its own Small Intestine. They mention IBS and the issue of FODMAPS, but fail to warn readers that both these problems, as well as NCGS, have the potential to be every bit as serious as full-blown Celiac Disease. Thus, we are erroneously led to believe that Celiac is far worse than NCGS. Not necessarily. All that the label "Celiac" tells us is that the small intestine is involved in an AUTOIMMUNE REACTION. When you begin to see how Gluten can effect the BRAIN and NERVOUS SYSTEM, you'll see just how serious it can be --- even in the absence of full-blown Celiac Disease. The truth is, you are far more likely to miss a "serious" health condition by not going Gluten Free.
- YOU MIGHT STILL BE EATING GLUTEN ANYWAY: There are any number of reasons that this could be true --- if you are going about "Gluten Free" the way that Consumer Reports recommends. For one, the peer-reviewed literature on the subject suggests that about 5% of all "Gluten Free" foods contain over 20 ppm (parts per million) of Gluten --- the FDA threshold. Then there's the issue of cross-contamination. This occurs when non-Gluten foods are processed in the same facilities as wheat, barley, or rye. It can also happen in the field itself if a bit of wheat gets into the oat field. Once more, if you follow my advice on how to go Gluten Free, you don't have to worry much about this point either way.
This article ends with the heading, "A Commonsense Way to go Gluten-Free". The authors reveal what they believe to be the "healthy" way to go Gluten Free is. Make sure to, "get your grains. Whether you’re on a gluten-free diet or not, eating a variety of grains is healthy, so don’t cut out whole grains. Replace wheat with amaranth, corn, millet, quinoa, teff, and the occasional serving of rice." All of these are Cross-Reactors. They might not be a problem for you. But if you really want to do Gluten Free the right way, you had better do an Elimination Diet to find out. And if you are one of the tens of millions of Americans who has issues with BLOOD SUGAR REGULATION, make sure that corn is not a staple. Not only is it virtually all GMO, but because for the past 50 years or more it's all been bred for high sugar content (think HFCS here).
POOR POSTURE AND THE RELATIONSHIP TO CHRONIC TRIGGER POINTS
COMBATING THE POSTURE OF AGE
I talk about it all day long to my patients. How best to deal with (or "resist") the posture of age. What is the posture of age you ask? It is simply having a stooped back and shoulders, with a chin that tends to find its resting point too close to the chest ---- something that in younger folks we refer to as "Poor Posture". Unfortunately, in older folks it's another one of those things that's considered normal. Common, yes. Normal; not on your life.
I have told you previously that POSTURE IS IMPORTANT. I've also discussed the necessity of having a lordotic curve (proper forward curve) in your neck (HERE, HERE, and HERE) --- something that few people have, and that fewer doctors / radiologists recognize as abnormal. While I am a huge fan of the DAKOTA TRACTION DEVICE, there is a simple ball exercise --- a stretch really --- that can help both the REVERSE CERVICAL CURVE as well as the posture of age.
It's this simple; if most people spend way too much time in the posture of age, we have to figure out a way for them to spend a bit of time counteracting or combating it. While INVERSION is great for any number of spinal issues, it's not going to do much for this particular problem. In order to work against this posture of age, you'll need an Exercise Ball.
- Make sure your EXERCISE BALL is "height appropriate". When you sit on it, your knees should be at approximately 90 degrees.
- While sitting on the ball, simply roll your butt down toward the ground and lean backwards until you are lying on the ball.
- Let your head go backwards into it's natural lordotic curve. Make sure to put your arms out like a crucifix or over your head like you would do if a train robber put his six gun in your belly (remember though --- you are lying on your back right now). This way you are stretching all the muscles of your anterior (front) neck, as well as your anterior shoulders, biceps, and chest muscles.
Now; just stretch. Don't do any SIT UPS OR CRUNCHES. Don't do any Reverse Planks. Just lay there and feel everything stretch (feel free to move roll around a bit on the ball while you are stretching). While there's not set time limit, try and do at least a minute (for those of you just starting out, you may need to do considerably less until you get used to it). Two or three minutes or more would be better. This is the kind of thing that is going to help you much more before the pain is raging (or better yet, before you even have pain); not just when those UPPER TRAPEZIUS TRIGGER POINTS are fired up and you are hurting.
If you have a job that entails lots of driving, sitting at a desk, hunched over a computer, or any number of other jobs, you may want to consider this simple routine. Also, if you are a person who likes to sew, knit, read (especially in bed with your head propped up), or have spent years doing too many situps, crunches, bench presses, pushups, arm curls, or exercises that build the front side of the upper body, while neglecting the back (hyper-extensions, the Roman Chair, etc, etc, etc) you'll need to do these as well.
ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE, REAL HEALTH,
AND YOUR MICROBIOME
"Antoine Bechamp (1816-1908) coined the word mycozyma to describe what he felt were the basic building blocks of all organisms, even plants and rocks. He believed these basic organisms can change form from bacteria to viri to fungal forms, and back again, depending upon the terrain or environment inside a body. This is the basic theory of the microzyma according to Dr. Bechamp. Later, mainly in the early twentieth century, several other well-known doctors in many nations claimed to observe a similar phenomenon. These include Gaston Naessans, MD, Royal Rife, MD, Wilhelm Reich, MD, Gunther Enderlein (1872-1968) and others. Some gave the phenomenon different names. Gaston Naessans called them somatids, while Dr. Enderlin called them protits. The microzyma perform many roles in the body. The most important of these are: (1) To destroy competing microorganisms that otherwise would flourish in the warm, moist environment of the human digestive tract – both the small and large intestines. (2) To help digest and absorb our food. (3) To produce numerous chemical compounds that our bodies require. These include some of the vitamins, mineral compounds, and even others that have not been identified yet." MIT-educated physician, Dr. Lawrence Wilson (MD) from his article "Microzyma". BTW, you'll sometimes see this phenomenon called "Pleomorphism".
According to Kerry Sheridan's recent article, Remote Tribe's Antibiotic Resistance Concerns Experts, a nearly-unreached tribe found recently in the deep, dark jungles of Venezuela, showed that even though the inhabitants have the single most diverse MICROBIOME ever recorded (something we have only recently been interested in studying), they are carrying an immense potential for ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE. "What really surprised the team was the discovery that the tribespeople had nearly 30 antibiotic resistant genes that were never before known to science. Even more, these genes were resistant to some of the world's most recently developed synthetic antibiotics. 'It was alarming to us to find genes that would inactivate these modern synthetic drugs in the Yanomami population." But should we be surprised?
A normal and healthy Microbiome contains "bad" bacteria and fungi such as STREP, STAPH, C.DIFF, CANDIDA, H. PYLORI, and a host of others, as well as hundreds of strains of "good" bacteria. Unfortunately, what we have done in America (self included) is to label bacteria as "good" or "bad," when that's not really completely accurate. A diverse Microbiome is all about ratios. It's why taking lots of ANTIBIOTICS is bad for you (HERE). But it's also why taking LOTS OF PROBIOTICS can be bad for you as well. It makes sense that this tribe's genetic makeup would be such that it would "resist" substances that would potentially throw the Mibrobiome out of kilter. If you want to understand this concept better, read the material on my site lifted from DR. ART AYERS. Or better yet, visit his website, Cooling Inflammation.
Please understand that I am not saying in this post that Bechamp was correct. We all know that models, thought processes, and the way we understand the universe constantly change as scientific knowledge improves and increases. I am, however, saying that we are just beginning to understand the importance of GUT HEALTH in relationship to overall health, and that the "terrain" the germs live in (your body), plays a far bigger role than whether or not you were simply exposed to said germs (read the first link at the top of the page to better understand this statement). The bottom line is that if you want to get your house in order as far as your health is concerned, you cannot neglect your Microbiome. Period.
It does not really matter whether your problem is ENDOCRINE, AUTOIMMUNE, INFLAMMATORY, or one of the so-called GENETIC DISEASES; the foundational tenets of solving it (them) is virtually always the same. HERE is a starting point as far as fixing your Gut.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration