OUR GOVERNMENT FINALLY
"Diet is established among the most important influences on health in modern societies. Injudicious diet figures among the leading causes of premature death and chronic disease. Optimal eating is associated with increased life expectancy, dramatic reduction in lifetime risk of all chronic disease, and . A diet of minimally processed foods close to nature, predominantly plants, is decisively associated with health promotion and disease prevention and is consistent with the salient components of seemingly distinct dietary approaches." From the abstract of the Annual Review of Public Health's study Can We Say What Diet Is Best for Health?
- LOW CARB DIETS:
- LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX DIETS:
- LOW FAT DIET / VEGETARIAN:
- DASH DIET:
- MEDITERRANEAN DIET:
- PALEO DIET:
- VEGAN DIET:
LOW CARB DIET
When speaking about the epidemic of both OBESITY and DIABETES, Katz indicates that there are many who believe the Low Fat diets of the past, have led to a corresponding backlash of Low Carb Diets. He then says, "Such assertions are a valid appraisal of prevailing nutritional epidemiology......". In other words, he is completely agreeing that SUGAR and starch jack levels of BLOOD SUGAR so that we will eventually gain weight. I would agree with this part of his assessment, but would argue that it does not go far enough. We know that beyond Diabetes and Obesity, virtually every single non-genetic disease known to man, is being tied back to UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR in some form or fashion.
Katz ends this section with a seeming contradiction. He says that it is difficult to get enough calories with a carb-restricted diet by letting us know that, carbohydrate-restricted diets are calorie restricted as well". He goes on to indicate that this is bad by letting us know that, "in the absence of calorie restriction, high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets can contribute to weight gain and adverse metabolic effects." But this is contradicted by telling us in the next sentence that, "However, metabolic benefits of low-carbohydrate dieting under diverse circumstances have been reported," and gives several studies to back this up. In fact, he tells us that, "intervention studies of short to moderate duration demonstrate the efficacy of low-carbohydrate diets for weight loss, with potentially beneficial metabolic effects and favorable implications for quality of life". "Metabolic effects" would be lowered blood sugar and slowing down the process of Diabetes that is running roughshod over the citizens of this country. "Quality of life" means long term.
Katz goes on to say that, "most studies suggesting benefit from low-carbohydrate eating per se in comparison, generally, to either the typical Western diet or some version of a low-fat diet". He talks about Low Carb eating's effect on WEIGHT LOSS, implying that much of the weight lost might be to calorie restriction as opposed to the effects of Low Carb itself. Again, I would challenge this assertion by having the reader get and read Gary Taube's Good Calories, Bad Calories -- (HERE is the video at the end of the link). Calories themselves play a very small part in weight gain. The way the foods you eat act upon your ENDOCRINE SYSTEM plays a far bigger part.
Dr. Katz goes on to tell us about a recent Swedish study that indicated, "no increase in incident cancers over nearly 20 years of follow-up was observed in conjunction with relatively low-carbohydrate intake". He then ends this section by telling us that, "weight loss studies of short to moderate duration suggest that carbohydrate restriction is at least as effective as any other approach". Weight loss is great for those who need it, but beyond Weight Loss, I am interested in overall health, as well as the ability to maintain a healthy weight for a lifetime. I believe that Low Carb in one form or another has the ability to help you accomplish this.
Finally, after telling us that the renowned cardiologist, Dr. Robert Atkins, "emphasized unrestricted intake of meat and dairy," (something that is simply not true) the authors discuss eating meat in terms that a vegan would use, describing it as unsustainable, inefficient, unethical, and bad / harmful for the environment. They then proceed to deal with the fact that most Low Carb diets aren't really "low carb" because they are not restricting vegetables --- and after all; vegetables are carbs. Thus, these sorts of diets should be referred to as "carb selective". This is an issue of semantics, unless you are talking about a truly "KETOGENIC DIET" that someone with severe NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEMS such as seizures would be on. Katz then lets us know that as long as we are aware that most people are using the term "low carb" erroneously that, "in such a context, the evidence supporting health benefits of some degree of carbohydrate restriction with liberalization of protein and/or fat intake for at least short-term benefit is fairly strong and consistent." The biggest complaint from most folks (many CARB ADDICTS in the lot) is that they can't stay on it for the long haul.
LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX DIET
The authors begin by saying this about eating according to a Glycemic Index. "This often extends to the exclusion of certain vegetables and many if not all fruits, along with processed foods containing refined starches and/or added sugars. In an age of epidemic diabetes, attention to the glycemic effects of food is sensible at the least." The only vegetable mentioned in the report was "carrots" (usually corn is also mentioned here as well, but corn is a grain and not a vegetable). White potatoes could also have been mentioned as I have seen Glycemic Indexes showing a baked white potato as having a higher Glycemic Index than table sugar. Atkins used to say that carrots were a no-no, but that recommendation went out the door years ago. Fruits, however, are a different story, and for the most part, should not be lumped together with vegetables (i.e. "FRUITS AND VEGETABLES").
People who are carb-sensitive (those who are DIABETIC, INSULIN RESISTANT, OBESE, or chronically ill), may need to stay away from many fruits. Fruits, like the grains that we'll deal with in the next section, have, for the most part, been heavily genetically modified and hybridized. Bananas are a great example of this. Modern bananas are a 100 calorie glucose bomb; far sweeter than anything from the past, and ranked near the top of a Glycemic Index. Hybridizing or Genetic Modification is always done with a goal in mind, and one of the chief goals with modifying fruit is to create greater sugar content. This is why many people (particularly SUGAR ADDICTS) will use fruit as a SUBSTITUTE for their fix-of-choice --- white sugar. Another thing that many people do when they are told to eat more fruits and vegetable, is to go light on the veggies and heavy on the fruits, which is exactly the opposite of how it should work. Eat your (low GI) fruits. Just make sure you are eating far more vegetables. And if you have FIBROMYALGIA / ADRENAL FATIGUE, Chronic Yeast Infections (Candida), CANCER, serious weight issues, or certain other health problems, just be aware that in similar fashion to the problems listed at the top of the paragraph, anything with sugar or high Glycemic Index Carbohydrates --- including fruit --- is probably not your friend; at least until you get healthy.
Some of the specifically mentioned benefits of a low Glycemic Index way of eating include the same perks you would get from almost any Low Carb diet, "benefits in the areas of weight loss, insulin metabolism, diabetes control, inflammation, and cardiovascular function". Once we begin to understand that Blood Sugar is where most disease processes begin, we can appreciate this approach to eating. Eating lower Glycemic Index carbohydrates will help control blood sugar, and provide all the health benefits associated with.
LOW FAT / VEGETARIAN DIET
I am not sure the authors described the "Low Fat" era (the 80's and 90's) as well as could have been done. They actually argue that, "the adoption of many high-starch, high-sugar, low-fat foods" was not the reason for the, "obesity and diabetes epidemics" of those decades, and that even though people may have been eating less fat, the problem was that they were consuming more calories. Once again, I would refer you to Taubes work that I discussed earlier. The authors redeem themselves a bit by saying that, "adverse effects of low-fat eating may be associated with this misapplication of the original guidance rather than the intended guidance...." In other words, we would sincerely hope that the government's recommendations to cut way down on fat, was not an endorsement of all the crappy, heavily processed Low Fat / Fat Free foods that flooded the supermarkets in those days. Furthermore, a vegetarian diet is not necessarily "Low Fat".
A vegetarian diet is not reliably low in fat, nor does it necessarily comprise mostly wholesome plant foods. Similarly, a low-fat diet need not be high in plant foods, and it certainly need not comprise wholesome foods direct from nature. For purposes of this assessment, however, the more idealized versions of “low-fat” and “vegetarian” are intended.
One thing I do appreciate in this section is the authors making mention of the fact that, "one of the more controversial aspects of plant-based eating is the role of grains". Many vegetarians are consuming the proverbial "boatload" of grains. My stance on grains is that while not inherently bad, the fact that we are eating so much of them (Food Pyramid / DASH Diet), along with the fact that the majority of them have been either genetically modified or intensely hybridized, is a recipe for disaster for a growing section of the population. To understand the "why" behind the dramatically increased numbers of Gluten Sensitive people, go HERE. To understand why GLUTEN SENSITIVITY is a far bigger issue than a little bit of gas or bloating, go HERE. And finally, to grasp why GRAINS are so bad for so many people, click the link.
THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET
For people who are actually from the Mediterranean region, grains are not as big of an issue as here because GMO's have been banned in Europe. How much meat is eaten on this diet? Not sure, but there is plenty of quality protein in the form of fish, eggs, poultry, raw dairy (much of it goat-based dairy, which is far easier to digest and less reactive than bovine dairy), etc. The authors went on to say that, "This pattern tends to result in favorable effects on the ratio of omega-6 and omega-3 essential fatty acids, high intake of fiber, and generous consumption of antioxidants and polyphenols. Overall, Mediterranean eating has been associated with increased longevity, preserved cognition, and reduced risk of cardiovascular disease in particular, with some evidence for reduced cancer risk". They then finished by describing two recent studies showing the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet over the Low Fat Diet. Can't say that I'm surprised. When a Mediterranean Diet includes lots and lots of vegetables, which it usually does, it is an extremely healthy way of eating, and can easily be modified for the Grain / Gluten Sensitive American.
MIXED BALANCE DIETS
The DASH Diet is, "a mostly plant-based diet inclusive of some animal products, with an emphasis on low-fat and nonfat dairy products". The DPP Diet is not so much a diet itself, as a set of recommendations. Many of these are good. Eat less processed foods, cut way back on sugar, etc. However, my biggest beef with DASH is it's emphasis on eating lots of grains --- the food of choice for fattening livestock. Back when the Food Pyramid was being called the "Diabetes Diet" (I am not making this up), it had a huge emphasis on grains as we. And not surprisingly, Americans got fatter, sicker, and more diabetic than any other time in the history of the planet. I would contend that the DASH Diet still puts far too much emphasis on dietary grains (6-14 servings a day, depending on which government site you look at). And although we are supposed to buy into this concept that we can trust our government, this is far from the case.
Let me first say that Government Guidelines are never what they seem to be on the surface. Last week's arrest of anti-gun crusader, Leeland Yee for firearm trafficking should be yet another reminder that government officials are not to be trusted. You can read about similar corruption and conflict-of-interest that is associated with both EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE, and GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES (and HERE) by simply clicking the links. When Katz and company say, "perhaps because of the ultimate accountability of the NIH to the tax-paying population at large, these federal diets have focused both on enhancements of nutrition and real-world applicability", I would say, "perhaps"? But I have very serious doubts. How accountable are governmental organizations to the tax-paying voter? If recent history tells us anything, it's that governmental organizations are free-spenders and you had better be careful trusting them. Also, when I see the term "real-world applicability", I think GREEN. Not that "green" is all bad, but for may people, it has become their religion. I would guess that the majority of the American people either agree with me, or have their faces buried in a bag of Cheetos ("feed-bag" style) they are unaware of the issue. It's an easy argument to make since the authors concluded that, "widespread adoption at the population level has not occurred".
Take a look at this way of eating. It is clean (no processed foods, and all-natural meats). It is high in vegetation (never confuse grains with vegetation), and is not the "Meat Diet" as some have erroneously characterized it. It's both high in fiber and low in sugar and other "objectionable carbohydrate sources". On top of all that, it's a low Glycemic Index way of eating. Add in the fact that it allows people to get plenty of high quality protein, and it looks to me like it's a viable choice for "Best Diet". Katz even says that, "There is a scientific case for the Paleolithic diet...... Intervention studies lend support as well, suggesting benefits over the prevailing Western diet in measures of both body composition and metabolic health." Simply put, this means that the diet does a good job of controlling both blood sugar and weight. If you can control blood sugar, get plenty of dietary vegetation, and get ample amounts of high quality protein, you have found a healthy way of eating.
A quick side note about the Paleo Diet. Most people (self included) who say they eat a Paleo Diet, do not really adhere to what would be considered a strict Paleo Diet. I eat all of the nightshades, some dairy (butter and cheese), as well as some legumes / beans on occasion. A Paleo Diet can be easily modified to your specific dietary needs. I still recommend starting with a GLUTEN-FREE ELIMINATION DIET, incorporated into THE WHOLE 30. Read the links to see why this is critical for chronically ill people.
Dr. Katz gives us several examples from the peer-reviewed literature of disease / health conditions that can be aided with veganism. Some of these include heavy-hitters like, "inflammation, cardiac risk measures, cancer risk, anthropometry [body size and composition], and insulin sensitivity". I would agree with the fact that when Veganism is done well, it can be a healthy way of eating --- at least for the short term. Katz does not really try to defend the Vegan way of eating over the long haul because he admits that the research on this topic is, "essentially nonexistent".
If you know me, you know that a lack of credibility in the peer-reviewed research is not enough to run me off. However, I believe that while a Vegan approach may provide some benefits over the short term, over the long haul, the difficulty getting high quality protein that it inherent with animal sources is going to catch up with you. This is especially true for anyone who has a difficult time with grains / Gluten. Unfortunately, many in this category will not realize it until it's too late (HERE) ---- unless they get tested (HERE).
A.) "Diets comprising preferentially minimally processed foods direct from nature and food made up of such ingredients." This is not only the theme I try and teach to my patients as far as their diet is concerned, it is largely the theme I try to adhere to in the Nutritional Supplements I personally use and carry in my clinic (HERE).
B.) That your diet should be comprised of, "mostly plants" is "all but incontrovertible". I can certainly buy this as well. Most of the diets above fill this bill. The one I am most leery of in this department is the "Mixed Diet" (DASH). It seems to have far too much emphasis on grains --- almost like it is revisiting the old "Food Pyramid" of 1988 that had grains and cereals (up to 11 servings a day) as its foundation. Be aware that I have seen government sites promoting a DASH Diet with up to 14 (that would be fourteen) servings of grain a day.
C.) This point is extremely important, and rarely discussed. Katz says that if you are going to eat animal animal products or animals themselves, "the composition of animal flesh and milk is as much influenced by diet as we are" (he could easily have put eggs in there as well as milk). This goes directly back to the simple dietary rule in Functional Neurologist, Dr. David Seaman's paper in a national medical journal (Practical Pain Management): Eat vegetation or animals that ate vegetation. You can read my take on his article (ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET) by clicking the link.
Katz and Meller go on to mention that following these simple principles might even affect, "the ecology within us". This is an incredibly astute observation, and needs much more time than I am prepared to give it here. Just remember that 80% OF YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM IS FOUND IN YOUR GUT --- mostly made up of the trillions of bacteria that live there. Unless you have made a conscious effort to do so, you have probably been doused with ANTIBIOTICS. This ultimately leads to a whole host of GUT DYSFUNCTIONS, including DYSBIOSIS and LEAKY GUT SYNDROME ---- and even GLUTEN SENSITIVITY, which itself leads to a wide array of AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (HERE also). Destroy these bacteria and you'll destroy your health. Keep these bacteria healthy, and watch your overall health flourish.
"The average supermarket in the United States offers in excess of 40,000 products, the majority of which are processed foods in bags, boxes, bottles, jars, and cans—virtually all of which sport marketing messages, many pertaining to health. The clutter of competing claims likely obscures the established body of knowledge and forestalls progress, much like the proverbial trees and forest. We need less debate about what diet is good for health, and much more attention directed at how best to move our cultures/societies in the direction of the well-established theme of optimal eating, for we remain mired a long way from it. This problem is particularly acute in the United States, where life expectancy lags behind that of other developed countries, and health expectancy that much more so."
CAUSE AND EFFECT
The medical community would have you believe that the biggest cause of joint deterioration is birthdays. You know; the whole, "After all Mrs. Smith, you just aren't as young as you used to be" thing. It's too darn easy to blame degeneration on a person's age, and move on to the next patient. This is true whether the patient is 25 or 95. Age is a convenient scapegoat. Let's take a moment and talk about the two main causes of DJD (DEGENERATIVE JOINT DISEASE), otherwise known as Osteoarthritis or Degenerative Arthritis.
- ABNORMAL BIOMECHANICS: When joints or tissues move abnormally (HERE is a video example), the structures that make up said joints degenerate more rapidly than they otherwise would. This is why I see old folks with very little degenerative change in their spine, and likewise, see people in their 30's (or even sometimes their 20's) with degeneration. Abnormal motion causes degeneration, but degeneration causes abnormal joint motion. Ladies and gentlemen; start your engines. A "Vicious Cycle" is about to commence. Understand that this motion must be segmental as well as sectional. In simple English, this means that not only is it critical that you stay active, but that each and every bone / vertebra in your body must be moving freely as well. Degeneration occurs very specifically in the areas that are not moving like they were created and designed to do.
- CRAPPY DIETS: In our age of heavily processed food, this one is tough to get away from. SUGAR does to bones what it does to teeth. JUNK FOOD diets cause your system to acidify. The body uses the best buffer it has available --- calcium it leaches from you blood, bones, or DNA. Thus, poor diets not only lead people into CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES (including OBESITY), they lead people straight into OSTEOPOROSIS and DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS.
LOW BACK PAIN IS FREQUENTLY....
How much have these various problems increased in recent years? Note that all of the stats are calculated in DALY's (Disability-Adjusted Life Years). In other words, each DALY stands for one year that one person has been totally disabled. The stats were gathered over a period of 20 years, with the initial number coming from 1990 and the second number coming from 2010.
- LOW BACK PAIN: Debilitating Low Back Pain has gone from 58 million to 83 million DALY's worldwide. Be aware that globally, this study showed that almost one in ten adults was debilitated by Low Back Pain, which ranked #6 in terms of DALY's, and #1 in terms of length of time lived in pain. Interestingly enough, when the numbers of those suffering from debilitating back pain were looked at a decade ago (the halfway point), Low Back Pain ranked near the bottom (105 out of 136). This is because at that time, they were using "Spinal Disease" (gross pathology) as their criteria. In other words, the results were based on imaging findings from X-rays, MRI, etc. Many countries did / do not have ready access to this sort of imaging, nor does "SPINAL PATHOLOGY" or the lack thereof, correlate in any meaningful way to the amount of pain that people deal with. In another study run concurrently by Dr. Tom Driscoll of the University of Sydney (and published in the same journal), job-related Low Back Pain accounted for almost 30% of the DALY's, with 62% of all DALY's belonging to men.
- HIP PAIN AND KNEE PAIN DUE TO DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS: Out of the nearly 300 conditions observed, arthritic Hip Pain / Knee Pain ranked 11th. DALY's increased from 10.5 million to 17 million. This came from a study published in the Feburary issue of the Brithsh Medical Journal, and concluded that, "It [is] highly likely that the real burden of Osteoarthritis has been underestimated. With the aging and increasing obesity of the world's population, health professions need to prepare for a large increase in the demand for health services to treat hip and knee Osteoarthritis".
- RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS: This study also came from last month's issue of BMJ. Although Hoy's group has the worldwide incidence of RA at approximately 1 in 400 people, according to the CDC, this is a far better rate than the US, which comes in at approximately 1 in 80. DALY's increased by about 1.5 million over the past two decades, ranking RA 42nd in global disability. The study concluded that, "RA continues to cause modest global disability, with severe consequences in the individuals affected". Remember that RA is an AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE.
- CHRONIC NECK PAIN: This portion of the study was published in January's edition of the Annals of Rheumatic Diseases. DALY's increased from 24 million to almost 34 million over the past 20 years. It's ranking was fourth, not far behind Low Back Pain. The study concluded that more research is desperately needed to better understand how to diagnose, manage, and prevent this problem.
GLUTEN SENSITIVITY IS MOSTLY NEUROLOGICAL
"Both Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity may present with a variety of neurologic and psychiatric co-morbidities, however, extra-intestinal symptoms may be the prime presentation in those with Gluten Sensitivity. However, gluten sensitivity remains undertreated and underrecognized as a contributing factor to psychiatric and neurologic manifestiations." From the March 2012 issue of Psychiatric Quarterly (Neurologic and Psychiatric Manifestations of Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity).
"Symptoms of gluten sensitivity can be numerous and vary widely from individual to individual. With gluten ataxia, the focus of disease activity is in the brain, specifically the cerebellum, the center that controls coordination and complex movements like walking, speaking and swallowing. Often, the peripheral nerves located outside the spinal cord are also involved, leading to chronic and progressive neuropathy, a disease affecting the nervous system that results in feelings of numbness, tingling or pain. Symptoms of gluten sensitivity with neurologic manifestations are slurred speech, loss of coordination in upper and lower limbs, difficulty with normal walking, ocular problems, chronic headaches. It may affect the fingers and hands, the arms or legs, the body, speech or eye movements. In children and young adults, gluten ataxia can also cause developmental delay, diminished muscle tone, learning disorders and ADHD." From the winter 2007 edition of Living Without (All in Your Head - Untreated Gluten Sensitivity)
"The Mayo Clinic, Dr. Tom O'Bryan, and others have stated that celiac disease is primarily a neurological disease.... These effects include significant neurological and mental health disorders, learning disabilities, and problems with cognitive and motor skills. More than 57 million Americans have been diagnosed with a mental health disorder, an estimated one in four-to-five adults. One food substance has increasingly been associated with neurological symptoms - Gluten: a protein found in the cereal grains wheat, rye, barley, and related species. Gluten sensitivity can lead to neurological and mental health effects in various ways, including: Triggering inflammatory autoimmune responses throughout the nervous system; Producing narcotizing effects on the brain; Inducing changes in brain perfusion, or blood flow". From Neurological Effects on the Gluten Free Choice website.
Much of this attitude has to do with the fact that while few doctors would argue that Celiac Disease (an AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE of the Small Intestine) exists, according to the last link in the previous paragraph, the majority of these same doctors would say that Celiac Disease is where the whole "Gluten Sensitivity" thing not only begins, but ends as well. In other words, if you don't have Celiac Disease, you can't have a problem with Gluten, because there is no such thing as non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity. Truthfully, with internet medical research databases such as Pub Med available today, a person could not only debate this thought process with one hemisphere of their brain tied behind their back, but could literally write a book on the subject as well (actually, there are numerous books on this topic already out there). Here are a few of the studies on the neurotoxicity of Gluten.
In the May 2002 issue of the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, Dr. Marios Hadjivassiliou (a British Neurologist and Professor of Neurology at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals) wrote, "With clinical manifestations primarily confined to the gastrointestinal tract or attributable to malabsorption, it was logical to assume that the target organ and hence the key to the pathogenesis of this disease was the gut.... Patients with an enteropathy represent only a third of patients with neurological manifestations and gluten sensitivity." Stop. Did you catch that? Only a third of the patients with Gluten Sensitivity actually have enteropathy (PATHOLOGIES of the Gut, aka the digestive tract). In other words, most people who are Gluten Sensitive have no Gut symptoms --- or at least no overt Gut pathologies (positive intestinal biopsy). This was not new information when it came out 12 years ago.
In still another study from 1999, the British Medical Journal (BMJ) published an article by Dr Conleth Feighery in their "Fortnightly Review" simply called Coeliac Disease. In the article, he compared the amount of undiagnosed Celiac Disease to the amount of diagnosed Celiac Disease by using the analogy of an iceberg. An iceberg only has about 10% of its mass visible above the water. Dr. Feighery (an Immunologist at St. James Hospital in Dublin, Ireland) used an iceberg diagram to show that the same thing is true with Celiac Disease. His article said that only about 12.5% (1 in 8) people with Celiac are ever diagnosed. These findings were echoed in a 2006 issue of Gastroenterology by Fasano and Catassi, and then again in a 2006 issue of the medical journal Gut, when van Heel and West stated that, "The current ratio of clinically diagnosed to undetected cases is approximately 1 to 8".
However, the largest, possibly most important and least understood group of diseases that appear to have links with CD are those with a statistical association, such as epilepsy, the neuropathies and myelopathies, the ataxias, and male and female infertility. With these conditions, the story is only beginning to unfold, and responses to diet are less evident. Dr. Duggan --- a gastroenterologist and professor of medicine at the University of Newcastle, Australia ----- goes on to tell us who has the most problems with sensitivity to Gluten. "Those of northern European ancestry." By the way, did you notice that the Gluten-associated neurological problems mentioned by Dr. Duggan are "less evident" to dietary responses (i.e., a Gluten-free diet) than the standard GI symptoms. Stick around and I will show you not only why this is, but how to remedy most cases of it as well.
Here's the thing folks. I could go on and on and on. The January 2006 issue of the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology stated that, "Our findings demonstrated an increased prevalence of thyroid disorders with CD." The Polish medical journal Przegl Lek published an article almost five years ago stating that, "Celiac disease is the status of the autoimmune answer provoked by gluten ingestion in genetically predisposed people. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that can coexist with other diseases, such as diabetes mellitus type 1 (DMID) and thyroid gland diseases. The frequency of the incidence of celiac disease in DMID patients was 9.71%." So; almost 1 in 10 Type I (Autoimmune) Diabetics are Celiacs. You should be starting to notice a trend. The thing you absolutely must grasp about this post is that most of studies we have looked at today pertain to those with Celiac Disease. We know two very important facts about full-blown Celiac Disease as compared to those who "only" have Gluten Sensitivity.
- THERE IS AN INCREDIBLY LOW RATE OF DIAGNOSED CELIAC DIAGNOSIS: We know that at best, only 1 in 8 Celiacs is ever diagnosed. It seems like these numbers get worse in every succeeding study. The rate for Celiac Disease most currently touted here in America is between 1 in 133 and 1 in 100. This means that in the United States, at least 3 million people have Celiac Disease. Again; you cannot forget that the vast majority of these individuals are never diagnosed (the "gold standard" for diagnosing Celiac Disease is intestinal biopsy).
- CELIAC DISEASE IS A TINY BLIP ON THE SCREEN OF GLUTEN SENSITIVITY: The real kick in the teeth is that the vast majority of those who are sensitive to Gluten are not Celiacs. How can this be? As I stated earlier, Celiac Disease is a very specific Autoimmune Disease of the Small intestine. There are thousands upon thousands of other bodily tissues (hormones, neurotransmitters, etc are also included here) that your own Immune System could decide to start making antibodies against as well. The small intestine is only one of many, but is the only one that carries the label of "Celiac". This means that you can be every bit as sensitive to Gluten as someone who has Celiac Disease (or even more so), and not have a single one of the traditional GI symptoms so commonly associated with it (gas, bloating, IBS, etc, etc). Again; this is because the majority (60 - 80%) of all symptoms of Gluten Sensitivity are neurological.
As to how we got here? For the most part, it's part of the age-old story we've been following since the Tower of Babel. Man thinks he can do better than God (HERE'S a great example of this phenomenon). We have genetically tinkered with and hybridized our grains until they are genetically unrecognizable to our own bodies. And what happens when our body fails to recognize a protein as "safe" or "natural"? After determining it's "foreign," it mounts an Immune System response and attacks the devil out of it. Relentlessly. Unmercifully. The resulting INFLAMMATION drives a host of severe Endocrinological / Neurological health problems that we are finally starting to associate with Gluten. For more information on this topic, just go HERE or HERE. For information on going GLUTEN FREE, just click the link. You'll have to figure much of this on your own because your medical doctor is behind the eight ball on this topic (HERE). But I will warn you beforehand............
WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING
Furthermore, Gluten Sensitivity tends to run in families. This means that if you are Gluten Sensitive or have a family history of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES of any kind, or any sort of neurological health issues, it would serve you well to educate your progeny about this matter. It could be the difference between life and death. And when you add to the mix, our national over-consumption of SUGAR & CARBS, unbridled ANTIBIOTIC USE, and POOR GUT HEALTH (including LEAKY GUT SYNDROME and DYSBIOSIS), you can begin to see the magnitude of this situation.
- DENTAL ISSUES: There are a bunch of these, and include chronic (and often hidden) infections as well as TMJ.
- TMJ / TMJD: Even though I mentioned it above, issues with the TMJ are common and can cause Chronic Facial Pain
- CHRONIC SINUS INFECTIONS: To read more, on this issue go HERE.
- MIGRAINE HEADACHES: Common. HERE.
- TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA / TIC DELROUX: Called "Suicide Disease" because of its severity.
- OTHER KINDS OF NEURALGIA: Post Herpetic (SHINGLES) is a common one. I would try COLD LASER on any form of neuralgia.
- PSYCHOGENIC: This is the old "it's-all-in-your-head" approach (HERE). While this is true in some cases, it is probably overused by doctors who simply don't understand what's going on.
Although FASCIA is the most abundantly found connective tissue in the body, it does not get much play in the medical field as to its potential role in CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES. For many of you struggling with Chronic Pain, this is unfortunate indeed. Fascia is not only the most abundant connective tissue, it is also the most pain-sensitive as well. And to make matters worse, because the Fascia in most areas of the body is cellophane-thin, it cannot be imaged with even the most technologically advanced techniques such as MRI. Add these factors together and people are automatically set up for diagnostic / therapeutic failure.
Over the years I have seen numerous cases of FASCIAL ADHESIONS in the Face. While smaller, the muscles of the face are not really different than the muscles found in the rest of the body. Furthermore, the amount of Fascia on the head is astounding (HERE). Throw in the Cervical Fascia that is so commonly responsible for CHRONIC NECK PAIN, add to it the fact that the Fascia from all these regions is connected together, and you can see that the potential for disaster is high. Let me share a few stories with you concerning Chronic Face Pain.
I have seen several people, including a young woman whose car was moving at over 100 miles per hour at the time of the collision, involved in severe MVA's, where they impacted their face with the windshield, steering wheel, or even the airbag. Some of these people ended up with Scar Tissue in their orbital socket (the lip of bone around their eyeball). Some had Scar Tissue on or around their zygomatic arch. Still others had Scar Tissue and Fascial Tearing in the muscles of mastication (temporalis and masseter). I have also seen a lot of Facial Scar Tissue due to fights and or SPORTS INJURIES. The bottom line is that any sort of trauma to the face, has the ability to leave adhesions and Scar Tissue in the Fascia. The downer for you is that these are the sorts of injuries that doctors will never figure out.
IS MINE REAL OR ALL IN MY HEAD?
"There are some clinicians who feel that the only approach to identify the true nature of pain is to demonstrate physical or chemical pathology. The reasoning behind this approach is based on the faulty assumption that physical findings are directly related to the pain experience.
Unfortunately, biomedical research has not been able to confirm that the existence of physical pathology and pain are directly related. In fact, a number of studies have found that significant pathology can exist in individuals who report little or no pain, and conversely, studies have found significant levels of pain with little or no physical pathology. Turk and Melzack have written that “the association between physical abnormalities and patient’s reports of pain is often ambiguous or weak.”
Despite these findings, there are still many clinicians who feel that if pain is not associated with physical pathology, then by simple deduction, pain must be psychogenic in origin. Again, as I have pointed out previously, there is no creditable empirical research to support this position."
FUNCTIONAL PROBLEMS: Functional problems are problems that do not show up on PHYSICAL EXAMINATIONS or with STANDARD MEDICAL TESTING (or HERE). According to YourMedicalDetective's website, Functional Medicine is, "patient-centered medical healing at its best. Instead of looking at and treating health problems as isolated diseases, it treats individuals who may have bodily symptoms, imbalances and dysfunctions. As the following graphic of an iceberg shows, a named disease such as diabetes, cancer, or fibromyalgia might be visible above the surface, but according to Functional Medicine, the cause lies in the altered physiology below the surface. Almost always, the cause of the disease and its symptoms is an underlying dysfunction and/or an imbalance of bodily systems." In other words, instead of simply covering symptoms, the goal is to deal with the underlying cause(s) of those symptoms. That's why dealing with Functional Problems is invariably going to require some effort on your part.
PATHOLOGY: According to Webster's Dictionary, pathology is, "the study of diseases and of the changes that they cause: changes in a person, an animal, or a plant that are caused by disease". Because of our increasing reliance on 3rd party payers who want hard evidence in the form of objective findings of a person's illness before they pay the doctor for treatment, they do not like "Functional Diagnoses". A great example of a Functional Diagnosis would be FIBROMYALGIA. Despite the myriad of symptoms, there are no definitive standardized medical tests that reveal a diagnosis. And here's the rub; Functional Problems are more common than Pathology --- far more common. This is partially why such a huge percentage of chronically ill people are being misdiagnosed (HERE). Which of these two problems would the average doctor rather see, diagnose, and treat? That one is easy to answer ---- patients with outright Pathology.
What are some of today's common health problems that used to be Functional, but because of advances in technology and testing procedures, are starting to be seen for what they are? Here are four that go hand in hand with each other and are often times seen in unison.
- GLUTEN SENSITIVITY / GLUTEN CROSS-REACTIVITY: HERE
- LEAKY GUT SYNDROME: HERE
- AUTOIMMUNITY: HERE
- DYSBIOSIS: HERE
But the differences between Functional Problems -vs- Pathology do not stop there. What about some of the musculoskeletal problems that I see each and every day in my clinic that are caused by ADHESIONS OF THE FASCIA? I've said for a very long time that the microscopic scar tissue that makes up Fascial Adhesions sets the stage for a "PERFECT STORM" of Chronic Pain. Think about it like this for a moment. Do you think it's potentially problematic that Fascia; which is not only the single most pain-sensitive Connective Tissue in the body, but also the most abundant connective tissue as well, cannot be imaged with MRI? This scenario sets the stage for a wide range of musculoskeletal problems that can be painful to the point of debilitating, yet do not present with a definite set of objective findings and frequently don't show up with even the most advanced imaging techniques.
How about PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME? What about CHRONIC NECK PAIN or HEADACHES as mentioned above (especially in people with NORMAL RANGES OF MOTION)? What about kids who have OSGOOD SCHLATTERS but have not yet developed the classic "Tibial Tubercle" even though there is pain blow their knee? How about SKULL PAIN? The truth is, almost anything on THIS LIST could be considered worthy of being included in this paragraph. For those looking for some resolution, HERE is a good place to start.
MORE ON THE RECENT CHANGES TO
A few months ago, I shared a post on this subject (HERE), and revealed to you the phenomenal numbers of Financial Conflicts of Interest (COA's) among those creating these guidelines. In fact, it was so bad that after the guideline authors revealed their financial conflicts, they simply wrote, "The other members of the writing groups reported numerous relationships with industry," and left it at that. And although we knew that these new "EVIDENCE-BASED" guidelines would increase the number of Americans taking statins, we did not know how dramatic this increase would be until earlier this week. A study by Dr. Michael Pencina of the Duke Clinical Research Institute and published in the most recent issue of the New England Journal of Medicine (Application of New Cholesterol Guidelines to a Population-Based Sample) revealed the answer. And while shocking, the results were not surprising in the least. The study's conclusions are as follows.
"The new guidelines would increase the number of U.S. adults receiving or eligible for statin therapy from 43.2 million (37.5%) to 56.0 million (48.6%). Among adults between the ages of 60 and 75 years without cardiovascular disease who are not receiving statin therapy, the percentage who would be eligible for such therapy would increase from 30.4% to 87.4% among men and from 21.2% to 53.6% among women."
WHY DOES IT MATTER?
For the record, the COA's revealed by Dr. Pencina and his chief co-author included
- McGill University Health Center: McGill does a lot of research in the area of heart disease, cholesterol, and drugs to lower cholesterol (both statins and non-statins).
- AbbVie: AbbVie, a division of Abbott Laboratories, manufactures the non-statin cholesterol drug "Niaspan", which is commonly prescribed along with statins. Clinical trials have shown it provides no benefit in lowering cholesterol. They are also heavily involved with stents, vessel closure devices, endovascular and coronary technologies.
- Janssen: Janssen is the collective name of the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson. They recently came up with a new class of Type II Diabetes drug, and are involved with several dyslipidemia drugs.
- Eli Lilly: Eli Lilly makes the stain drug Livalo. They have also been working on a class of drug to increase HDL --- something which has proved elusive to the pharmaceutical industry. They have also been involved with the non-statin drug PCSK9 as well. As a side note, Eli Lilly has claimed that their drug Livalo has fewer side effects than other statins. Listen to what Dr. John Briffa has to say about the way that Eli Lilly is exploiting this fact on the July 13, 2012 issue of his blog. "It’s well known that about 75 per cent of people who start statins stop again within a year. Recently, the drug company Eli Lilly issued a press release regarding a survey called ‘Understanding Statin use in America and Gaps in Education’ (‘USAGE’). The USAGE survey was an attempt, on the face of it, to better understand the reasons for why so many individuals stop taking their statins. More than 10,000 people were polled, and the results are in. It turns out that off all of the reasons individuals might stop their statin medication, ‘side effects’ was the most commonly cited reason. According to the survey, a full 62 per cent of respondents cited side effects as the reason for stopping their medication." According to Eli Lilly, Livalo is the perfect solution for these folks.
- Boehringer Ingelheim: Boehringer Ingleheim makes about 30 different drugs, including many for the cardiovascular system.
To read more about the COA's in this area of industry guidelines within the field of cholesterol, you can go to the blog of Dr. Barbara Roberts --- a professor at Brown University (HERE) and read a short article she wrote on the subject. She says the conflicts in this area are over half a billion dollars.
ADHD DOES NOT EXIST?
"Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is one of the most commonly diagnosed conditions of childhood in the U.S. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), in 2012 11% of children ages 4 to 17 had been diagnosed with ADHD. In recent years, a recognition that ADHD can continue into adulthood has led to increased diagnosis and treatment in adults." Page 4 of the Turning Attention to ADHD paper.
Richard Saul is a sharp guy. He is a medical doctor with over 5 decades of experience as a Behavioral Neurologist. He holds board certifications in both Neurology, and Immunology (two extremely complex specialties) as well as Pediatrics and Behavior & Development. He runs the Diagnostic and Developmental Center near Chicago, and has made the news recently because of his latest book ---- ADHD Does Not Exist. Dr. Saul and his book have made headlines in virtually every single newspaper and magazine in the Western world over the past week or so, and although I have not read the book, we should all take notice of some of the things he is saying. If you condense his recent article in Time Magazine down to a couple main points, they would be that according to the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), the criteria for diagnosing ADHD is so broad that virtually everyone either has it or could be diagnosed with this it. He also makes the point that stimulant use and addiction are epidemic in America, and that the medical community has to do more for people with ADHD symptoms than merely provide them with stimulants.
That's correct. The drugs that physicians use to treat ADHD, are "stimulants", and led by some heavy hitters that most of you are at least somewhat familiar with; Aderall, Concerta, and Ritalin.
- ADERALL: Amphetamine / Dextroamphetamine is commonly used by athletes looking to boost energy levels and performance.
- RITALIN / CONCERTA: Methylphenidate is commonly abused by adults looking for a big high, or college students hoping to get better grades.
Here's what I want you to notice. The chemical names of these drugs contain either the word "amphetamine" or "meth" in them. Yep; when you allow a doctor to prescribe your child various forms of Methamphetamine (HERE) to control their ADHD, problems are bound to ensue. Ask someone who knows. It was Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, who said when asked about the relationship between his ADHD and drug problem, "When you're a kid and you get this drug that makes you feel that feeling, where else are you going to turn to when you're an adult?". It's a valid point. According to the report, not only are the people on ADHD meds far more likely to be taking Depression medications, but, "Children on ADHD medications are 10 times more likely to be using an antipsychotic than children who are not using ADHD medications." I could go on and on, but the report itself is fairly short. You can read the whole thing in 15 minutes or less. But this is not the only place that ADHD drugs take you. It leads to the land of INSULIN RESISTANCE.
Not quite a year ago (HERE), I told you that men who had been diagnosed with ADHD as children, were twice as likely to be OBESE as adults. A recent study of 164,000 people done by doctors at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and published in the journal Pediatrics confirmed these results. The crazy thing was that the stimulants kept people lean while they were young, but as they got older, their BMI's tended to rise rapidly ---- probably due to frying their ADRENAL GLANDS. Although the researchers speculate on the reasons for the weight gain, they never give a definitive reason.
I have a pretty good idea that much of the physical aspect of this problem goes back to GUT HEALTH (more about this HERE). Between the barrage of ANTIBIOTICS, SUGAR, VACCINATIONS, ESTROGEN-LIKE HORMONES, GLUTEN, TRANS FATS, HALIDES, FOOD ADDITIVES, MERCURY, JUNK FOOD & SODA, and numerous other substances that we are saturating our babies / children with from the day they are born, we are destroying the bacteria that make up 80% of their Immune Systems, not to mention the wide array of other critical functions they perform (HERE & HERE). I gave you one example of this phenomenon just the other day (HERE). Then, as the child gets older, throw in copious amounts of T.V., computers, video games, cell phones, and dumbed-down educational standards, and you have a recipe for disaster.
Without reading Dr. Saul's book, it is tough for me to make an accurate assessment. But after reading lots of the articles about his book, not to mention reading the short piece in Time that he wrote himself, I am not sure that the most accurate way to describe his position is that ADHD does not exist. It's a great title that will automatically sell books via its controversial nature. I think, however, that a more accurate title would have been "Many Different Health Conditions Result in Children that Cannot Concentrate". Either way you slice it, the drugs used to treat people with an ADHD diagnosis are not only frequently abused themselves, but often times lead to both drug and alcohol abuse.
THE CHRONIC PAIN DIET SOLUTION
WHY PALEO BEATS THE PANTS OFF THE DASH DIET
"DASH's final results appear in the April 17, 1997 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine. The results show that the DASH "combination diet" lowered blood pressure and, so, may help prevent and control high blood pressure." From the National Institute of Health's website, filed under 'The DASH Diet'.
Look at the old Food Pyramid --- a way of eating that was originally called "The Diabetes Diet" (that's right --- this is essentially what they were recommending for those with Diabetes before coming to the conclusion that it was causing what it was supposed to prevent). This has been taken over by several government-approved diets, with the latest and greatest being the DASH Diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) ---- a diet that claims to be "moderately high" in protein.
How problematic is this Food Pyramid "Replacement Diet"? Try this on for size. The National Institutes of Health website; filed under a sample menu for the DASH Diet, says to eat 7-8 servings of grains a day (Unfortunately, these were the original recommendations --- the current recommendations by DASH as of the original date of this post advised us to eat "6-12" servings of grains a day). The site also provided a sample breakfast --- I'm not making this up (if I'm lyin I'm dyin).
- ORANGE JUICE: This is what you give a diabetic whose blood sugar has gone too low, so you can raise it fast (HERE).
- CORN FLAKES / SUGAR ON TOP: Not only is this stuff heavily processed, corn is what you feed pigs and cattle if you want to fatten them rapidly. As for the sugar; do I even need to say anything?
- BREAD WITH MARGARINE & JELLY: Nothing like some high Glycemic Index, Gluten-stoked carbs to start your day. As for suggesting TRANS FATS over REAL BUTTER, this is almost unbelievable in this day and age. Almost.
- BANANA: A banana is a 100 calorie glucose bomb. If there is a higher Glycemic Index fruit you could eat, I am not sure what it is. Although I love bananas and could eat a dozen a day if you let me, I have learned that I can only eat them on rare occasions because I can pack on the pounds with bananas just like I were eating white potatoes --- which have a higher Glycemic Index rating than table sugar.
- LOW FAT MILK: MILK is the stuff that has been heavily processed, pasteurized, homogenized, and loaded with both Antibiotics and Hormones. It also happens to be one of the most potentially allergenic foods of the list, as well as being a Gluten Cross-Reactor (more in a moment).
This is a prime example of why you simply can't trust the government with your health. The truth is, NONE OF THE FOOD PYRAMIDS have changed much in the past thirty years, largely remaining based on grains (HERE). These are the perfect diets for solving Diabetes. If you are a physician looking for job security. Or a drug company. Or a mortician. However, if you are a person who is trying to control your blood sugar WITHOUT INEFFECTIVE DIABETES DRUGS, you might be in trouble on this diet ---- serious trouble.
Why do I mention things like Gluten and Blood Sugar along with a diet to control Chronic Pain? Only because dealing with these two things must be the cornerstone of any diet designed to help those struggling not only with CHRONIC PAIN, but with WEIGHT ISSUES, NEURO-DEGENERATIVE CONDITIONS, AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, and most CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY CONDITIONS as well.
The diet I recommend that most people follow is one of the almost endless versions of the PALEO DIET. Just click on the link to see why it works for most people's individual situations. Beyond eating correctly, there are a few simple concepts you must understand as far as getting healthy is concerned. Below are a few of the posts you can thumb through if you are interested in learning more about helping yourself get out from under the boulder of Chronic Pain and / or Chronic Illness.
- ANTIBIOTICS: I start with ANTIBIOTICS because Antibiotics are the number one factor that destroy America's collective GUT HEALTH. According to research that is now almost two decades old, 80% OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM is found in the Digestive Tract --- mostly in the form of bacteria that live there. Once you destroy the body's natural terrain / bacterial flora (also called the MICROBIOME or MICROBIOTA), the pathological bacteria begin to take over. This is called DYSBIOSIS, and is absurdly common here in America. In Europe, physicians are actually treating people who have AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (successfully, I might add) with "FECES TRANSPLANTS" otherwise known as FMT's or Fecal Microbiota Transplants). Research also shows that people who were not BREAST FED have a much tougher time restoring and maintaining their normal Gut Flora. By the way, when you eat a Paleo Diet, you are cutting not only the Antibiotics out of your diet, but the XENOHORMONES as well.
- GLUTEN: Just the other day, I told you yet again that once the body starts creating Immune System responses to Gluten, it frequently starts to make them against itself (HERE). This is called Autoimmunity, and there are hundreds (probably thousands) of known Autoimmune Diseases (HERE is a list of some of them). For the record, Autoimmunity is always associated with LEAKY GUT SYNDROME. Furthermore, I have repeatedly said that there is a right way and a wrong way to go "GLUTEN FREE". Read the post and you will understand why going about it in a stepwise fashion is so important. And although we tend to associate Gluten with GI symptoms (gas, bloating, cramping, IBS, etc), the truth is that somewhere between 60 - 80% of all symptoms of Gluten Sensitivity are NEUROLOGICAL, and definitely have the ability to cause CHRONIC PAIN. On top of this, if people are being told anything at all about Gluten, it is simply to "cut back". Follow THIS LINK to see why just cutting back is a recipe for failure. In the same post, you can also read about why Gluten --- a biblical food ---- has become such a problem. Oh; and as for the "GLUTEN-FREE STUFF" you are buying at the grocery store? Knock it off already!
- BLOOD SUGAR: I treated a medical doctor two days ago for a chronic case of PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME. This person works mostly in the medical research field --- particularly in the arena of Blood Sugar. He talked about something I have told you several times before. He said that the vast majority of diseases can be tied back to UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR in some form or fashion. This is true even if you have not yet been "officially" diagnosed with DIABETES (yesterday I saw a person who had recently undergone a "Diabetes-related" amputation, even though their Blood Sugar levels were under that magical 125). Make an effort to understand how INSULIN RESISTANCE (pre-Diabetes) works, and you'll be ahead of the game. The thing is, if you don't seriously work at controlling your blood sugar, you'll end up paying the price with everything from CANCER, to OBESITY, to an INABILITY TO SLEEP, to an INABILITY TO HAVE OR WANT SEX, ALZHEIMER'S, ADDICTIONS, and Chronic Illnesses of every size, shape, and color. And these are the tip of the iceberg. The "D's" of Chronic Pain (HERE) are sure to follow.
The fantastic thing is that the foundation for beginning the healing process for all of these diverse situations is essentially the same (HERE). Sure; you can follow our government's advice and go with the DASH Diet or something similar. Or you can cut out the potentially reactive foods, control your blood sugar, and watch what happens to your weight and your health ---- not to mention your pain.
ANTIBIOTICS ARE WORSE FOR YOUR
HEART THAN YOU EVER DREAMED
"Azithromycin and levofloxacin [both common Antibiotics] were both associated with elevated risks of death and serious cardiac arrhythmias during standard lengths of prescription." Todd Neale from a recent article he wrote for the March 10 edition of MedPage Today.
Dr. Gowtham Rao and colleagues found the risk of all-cause death and arrythmias were 48% greater and 77 percent greater respectively for the Zithro group as compared to Amoxocillin. But that was not the thing I found most interesting. The comments by Dr. Thomas Amoroso (MD MPH) on a MedPage Today article talking about this study were telling. After talking about the study hopefully putting another dent in overuse / misuse of Antibiotics, he invokes EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE and then says, "What is the absolute risk? Stating a relative risk without a context in which to put it is, in my personal opinion, a form of statistical malpractice everyone should avoid. Especially those of us who would like physicians to alter their behavior in evidence based ways; if we cheat, we make it OK for anyone to cheat." One of these days we will cover Absolute Risk -vs- Relative Risk in medical studies, but I have to go now.
PREVALENCE OF AUTISM INCREASES AGAIN
"The prevalence in Somalis was high, with one in 32 children affected, but it was not different from the prevalence in whites." Dr. Cindy Lawler as quoted in a recent article by Kelly Lenox called Autism Studies Build on Past Investments and Guide Future Research --- Lawler is the head of the NIH's National Institute of the Environmental Health Science's Genes, Environment, and Health.
"Once rare, autism has reached epidemic proportions in the U.S. that cannot be attributed to changes in diagnostic criteria which have actually become more restrictive." Expert in infectious disease and child development, and a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics since 1963; Dr. Edward Yazbak (M.D.) from an article he authored for the Journal of Physicians and Surgeons over a decade ago.
I believe that what has happened here in America is a huge "switcheroo" --- a paradigm shift if you will. We have traded the common childhood illnesses that everyone used to get (chicken pox, measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc) for the potentially debilitating (and often deadly) effects of CHRONIC DEGENERATIVE INFLAMMATORY DISEASES (particularly CANCER) and AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (a list of Autoimmune Diseases can be found HERE). This begs the question of exactly where we need to be directing the brunt of the RESEARCH DOLLARS spent on things like Autism (200 million annually), ADD / ADHD, as well as Neurodegenerative Diseases such as PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER'S, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, NEUROPATHY, and others. Dr. Lawler herself provides us a clue when she says this about a recent study pertaining to the relationship between Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Gastrointestinal (GI) Symptoms.......
"This study confirms what we hear from a lot of parents, especially regarding how some of the comorbidities, such as GI issues, are as important as the core symptoms of autism in terms of the impact on families." Dr. Cindy Lawler from the same article as previously quoted from. The article goes on to talk about the connection between the "microbiome" (GUT FLORA) and not only Autism, but other "developmental disabilities" as well.
- MARY MEGSON: Dr. Megson (M.D.) currently runs the Pediatric & Adolescent Ability Center in Richmond, Virginia. She has almost 35 years experience as a board-certified Pediatrician, has been a professor of Pediatrics at the medical college of Virginia, has a sub-specialty in Childhood Development, and has worked solely with children dealing with Autism, ADD / ADHD, a wide array of learning disabilities, and other similar problems for the past three decades. Her testimony before congress dealt with changes in the Gut, familial history of Cancer (particularly Colon Cancer), and a complete deficiency of Vitamin A in Autistic children. HERE is her testimony before congress.
- JOHN O'LEARY: Dr. O'Leary (Ph.D / M.D.) is a professor of Molecular Medicine at the Institute of Molecular Medicine (Dublin Molecular Medicine Center) at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. He heads a large multi-discipline group researching the molecular effects of Cancer on numerous body systems. During HIS TESTIMONY BEFORE CONGRESS, he showed that 96% of Autistic children had measles virus in their Gut. Non-Autistic children had measles in their collective Guts less than 7% of the time. Furthermore, by looking at genetic markers in the measles virus in these children, he could prove that the strain(s) of measles virus was not natural, but was Genetically Engineered strains of the virus found in vaccines (MMR). He then linked this abnormal finding to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (particularly Crohn's Disease) in children (HERE & HERE for more info on Crohn's).
- VIJENDRA SINGH: Dr. Singh is an Immunologist whose career reads like a posting from 'Who's Who' --- Ph.D in neurobiology, post-doctoral fellowship in neurochemistry and neuroimmunology, past professor in the Department of Biology & Biotechnology Center of Utah State University, past professor at Michigan University. Follow the link to read the transcript of Dr. Singh's CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY. I will leave you an excerpt. "To that end, I have recently summarized laboratory data of approximately 400 cases (autistic and controls) and found that up to 80% of autistic children have auto-antibodies to specific brain structures, in particular a brain protein known as myelin basic protein (MBP) of the myelin sheath, a fatty coating that insulates nerve fibers and absolutely essential for higher brain functions. These auto-antibodies are present quite frequently (65-85%) in autistic children, but only rarely (0-5%) in normal children and other disease controls. Accordingly, I postulated that autism involves a specific autoimmune response to MBP -- an immune assault that impairs myelin development in the developing brain, thereby modifying the nerve cell functions of the brain. Ultimately, by way of impaired wiring diagram in the brain, this results into autism." In plain English, Autistic children are making antibodies against their own brains --- something I wrote about just the other day (HERE). By the way, what he is describing sounds suspiciously similar to MS.
Did you notice that like Dr. Lawler, all of these doctors were talking about some aspect or another of GUT HEALTH? Here is the thing you have to remember concerning the doctors making these statements. It costs them to do so. All of these individuals have been heavily criticized for their testimony. When you go out on a limb and say anything against vaccination as it is practiced today in America, you are going to bring the wrath of Big-Pharma and their puppets right down on top of your head. You might get blacklisted. Your career may not advance like you hoped it would. You'll probably develop a reputation as one who is not a "team player". You are likely to get passed over for promotions you are doubly qualified for. Just understand that taking the stance that these people did is not going to get the average person sainted, knighted, or given a raise. For the record, none of these individuals are anti-vaccination crusaders.
A recent study from Dartmouth College was published in the medical journal Pediatrics (Effective Messages in Vaccine Promotion: A Randomized Trial) and concluded that, "Current public health communications about vaccines may not be effective. For some parents, they may actually increase misperceptions or reduce vaccination intention. Attempts to increase concerns about communicable diseases or correct false claims about vaccines may be especially likely to be counterproductive." In other words, the fact that the government is saying that these vaccines are safe is actually backfiring on them. In an article about this study, Mother Jones (a rather leftist magazine) said that "anti-vaxxers" who believed that vaccines were potentially harmful and dangerous, were more likely to believe certain things were true. What kinds of things, you ask? For instance, if you believe that Childhood Vaccines might be related to Autism, you are supposedly more likely to believe that 1969's moon landing was faked. Darn it! And all this time I thought that OJ's 1978 movie Capricorn One was a documentary.
It's not anything new that people are made to look stupid and dogmatic for daring to as much as question our national vaccine policies. The thing is, there is quite a bit of precedent for the American people not to believe the government is always looking out for their best interests. After all, it was Ronald Regan himself who stated that, "the most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." When trusted people in my community continue to tell me that their child was completely normal until they had their shots, someone is lying. Who do I tend to trust? I'll stick with the farmers, bank presidents, mechanics, doctors, and parents that I know personally, over the government any day.
You can trust EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE if you choose, but clicking the link will reveal that the government's track record speaks for itself. Understand that I am not suggesting that you not vaccinate your kids (or for that matter, yourself) because of the information provided in this post. What I would suggest is that you approach this issue with an open mind and due diligence. Don't trust others; but instead, do your own research. For the record, MY CHILDREN have not been vaccinated (don't know much about my ETHIOPIAN DAUGHTERS). And although they have had some of the typical childhood diseases that every person used to get, they are some of the healthiest kids you would ever hope to meet.
WEIGHT LOSS EXCUSES
I CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT BECAUSE.........
"The dog ate my oatmeal." I actually had a patient tell me this years ago. They were complaining that they had not been eating 'healthy' because their dog had gotten into the cabinet where the oatmeal was kept and had a feast.
I HAVE TO LOSE WEIGHT SO I CAN GET HEALTHY: This is exactly backwards from reality. The truth is, you'll never lose weight and keep it off without getting healthy first. HERE is one example of dozens. There will be many more as we weave our way through the list.
SINCE I'M NORMAL WEIGHT, I CAN EAT WHATEVER I WANT: This is a huge problem today (no pun intended), and is continually propagated by women's magazines that run article after article on exactly how much further you'll have to run to burn off those brownies that you indulged in last night. To see just how "off" this way of thinking is, you need to realize that between 7 and 10% of our population is SKINNY FAT. If you're not sure what this means, just click the link.
- THIS IS MY "NORMAL" WEIGHT: We can all play Clintonesque games with word definitions. In the same way that "skinny" people can be Metabolically Obese, people who look overweight on a BMI CHART can be quite healthy. Be aware however, that this group of people typically consists of trained athletes --- particularly people who lift weights or engage in some sort of resistance training. This point goes along with the next point.
- I KNOW I AM OVERWEIGHT, BUT MY HEALTH IS GOOD: I knew a relatively young person who was probably 100 to 150 pounds overweight. In fact, under anyone's definition, they would have been considered "grossly" or "morbidly" obese. During a discussion several years ago, this person claimed that their doctor told them they were as healthy as a proverbial horse at their last checkup. Do not try to fool yourself like this (HERE). Take a selfie in your underwear. Pictures lie even less than mirrors.
- I CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT BECAUSE I CAN'T EXERCISE: As one who deals with a wide variety of musculoskeletal problems, I hear this one every single day. "Doc, I just keep gaining weight because I've got this ____________ (insert your body part of choice here) problem that just won't let me exercise". Hooey. Weight loss is at least 80% diet. Eat the RIGHT FOODS, and you will require very little exercise to help you get to and maintain your ideal weight. In fact, this is probably a good time to mention that too much exercise or the wrong kind of exercise (HERE), can actually wreck your ADRENAL SYSTEM, making it difficult or impossible to lose weight. This brings me to my next point.
- I CAN'T GET OUT AND EXERCISE BECAUSE: Answer this one by inserting your own excuse here ( _______ ). It could be that the weather is too bad to leave the house. Or that you don't have any equipment. Or that you don't have a gym close enough to your home. Or that you don't have enough time or money. There are a million excuses, and I've heard them all. HERE are some simple things you can do at home with an exercise ball and some hand weights or a simple homemade KETTLEBELL. But you don't even need that. Pushups, pullups, PLANKS, burpees, or any number of other "body weight" exercises are all you really need. And if you get with it, you can do what you need to do in 20 minutes, three times a week. That is one hour a week for those of you keeping score at home.
- I EXERCISE LIKE CRAZY AND STILL CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE ANY WEIGHT: There are a whole host of reasons this could be going on. Again, you might be doing the wrong sort of exercise (HERE). You might be exercising in the perfect manner, but eating an unhealthy diet. You might have some sort of underlying functional metabolic problem (ENDOCRINE, THYROID, AUTOIMMUNE, DYSBIOSIS, INFLAMMATORY, GLUTEN SENSITIVITY, DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS, parasites, HEAVY METAL TOXICITY, NEUROLOGICAL, etc, etc, etc). You may not be controlling your blood sugar or insulin levels (HERE, HERE & HERE). If you are doing the right things and not effectively dealing with your weight, it's probably time to find out why.
- I WOULD RATHER JUST TAKE A PILL OR HAVE A SURGERY: Not only is this short sighted, it is dangerous as well. Why aren't there more WEIGHT LOSS MEDICATIONS on the market today? Easy. They're dangerous. Can anyone say Phen Fen? And as for weight loss supplements? There are a million and one of these available for purchase. Few of these were in existence three years ago, and even fewer will still be on the market three years from now. Instead, you'll have a whole new crop of THESE PRODUCTS, making the same outlandish claims, and raking in the dough from gullible and desperate people. And although there are undoubtedly people who can benefit from some sort of WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY, these are more dangerous and less effective (HERE) than you have been led to believe.
- I'VE TRIED EVERY DIET AND NOTHING WORKS: It's all about controlling your blood sugar. HERE is the diet, and HERE is my program for WEIGHT LOSS. Again, if you cannot lose weight in this manner, it's probably because you have an underlying disease or metabolic process going on. Oh; and if you've been "COUNTING CALORIES", you need to listen to Gary Taubes (HERE --- bottom of the page).
- MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT LOW CARB IS DANGEROUS: This is probably the same doctor who told you that eggs cause HIGH CHOLESTEROL, MARGARINE is better than butter, and the whole "Gluten Thing" is just a BIG MYTH. How much nutrition does your doctor really know? Make sure to ask them before blindly following their advice (HERE).
- I'M AN ADDICT: Truthfully, people rarely come right out and tell me this. However, it is usually fairly easy to tell (CLICK HERE to take a simple self-test). By far the most common food people are addicted to is SUGAR. A simple way to spot the addict is to look for what I call "SUSTITUTIONARY BEHAVIOR". Breaking addictions is tough, but can be done. If you know you are addicted to starch, sugar, JUNK FOOD, or even MSG, take a few minutes to read THESE POSTS.
- I DO NOT HAVE THE TIME OR MONEY TO EAT HEALTHY: Phooey. You have time for whatever you deem important. And as for the money issue.... Once you start cutting the junk out of your grocery list, you'll be amazed to find that you have enough money to spend on fruits and vegetables. You can also do something like THIS or THIS (mix them together) if you are truly on the run or constantly traveling.
- MY FAMILY WOULD NEVER EAT THE WAY YOU RECOMMEND: Really? If you are pandering to your child's every desire (particularly when it comes to what they eat), I feel sorry for child when they grow to adulthood. Just keep reminding yourself that you are the parent (HERE). And as for your spouse; if you hope to have them around into old age, changing their diet might be the best thing you've ever done.
- OTHERS: This post could have gone on and on. We all have our struggles. Although I used to be one of those people who could eat anything and not gain an ounce, those days are long gone. Between being sensitive to carbs and Gluten, I rarely let my guard down at meal time. I can't. It is too easy to gain the weight and a lot of hard work to lose it. Figure out what's holding you back from reaching you optimum weight and address it today.
INSULIN RESISTANCE LEADS TO A
MYRIAD OF HEALTH PROBLEMS
Insulin Resistance is what happens when your body's cells can no longer respond in a normal fashion to the pancreatic hormone Insulin. Even though the pancreas is still making Insulin (quite possibly, at least at first, a lot of Insulin), continually elevated amounts of dietary sugar cause the body to bind up its Insulin Receptors. This means that you will have elevated blood sugar and elevated blood insulin levels simultaneously. The body senses this as a deficiency of Insulin and tells the pancreas to make even more. This becomes a vicious cycle that literally feeds itself to the point of your pancreas not being able to keep up. Sooner or later, the overworked pancreas burns itself out. Blood sugar levels continue to rise, and you receive the "official" diagnosis of Type II Diabetes (even though for all intents and purposes, you have been a "functional" diabetic for years). We all know how severe the effects of Type II Diabetes can be, but what about Insulin Resistance (sometimes called Metabolic Syndrome, Syndrome X, or pre-Diabetes)? Try these on for size.
- SUGAR ADDICTION: When people get to the point where their bodies are "resisting" the effects of Insulin, the body not only requires more Insulin, but it takes more and more sugar to satisfy the body's need (the word "cravings" would also fit here) for blood sugar. When you consume High Glycemic Index Carbohydrates (sugar and starch), these will increase blood sugar dramatically. The body sends out Insulin to move the sugar into the cells, where it will either be burned or stored. Just like the "crash" a coke addict gets when the drug wears off, CARB ADDICTS experience the same thing. This leads to "SUBSTITUTIVE BEHAVIORS", denial, carb binging, and "closet" consumption --- just like a DRUG ADDICT. This crash is caused by HYPOGLYCEMIA, and leads to intensive cravings. People feed these cravings and the cycle continues.
- INFLAMMATION: Here is the thing folks. This point covers a ton of ground. There are literally dozens of disease processes whose foundations are based on Insulin Resistance. Just look at a few of our posts on INFLAMMATION to see what I mean. And yes; most experts consider CANCER to be an inflammatory problem.
- WANING SEX LIFE: Maybe you're one of those people who tells yourself that it doesn't really matter any more whether you have a sex life or not. You are fooling yourself and quite probably punishing your spouse. HERE is my post on Insulin Resistance and Sexual Dysfunction.
- CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE: When I say "Cardiovascular Diseases", this means all of them. HARDENING OF THE ARTERIES (Atherosclerosis / Arteriosclerosis) and HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE (Hypertension), HIGH CHOLESTEROL, Strokes, Heart Attacks, Cardiomyopathy, Blood Clots, Peripheral Vascular Disease, High Triglycerides, and more. Yes, I realize that there are still a boatload of doctors out there telling people that all of these problems are the result of RED MEAT & DIETARY FATS. This is true only if we are specifically talking about dietary TRANS FATS.
- OBESITY: Just Google "Obesity / Insulin Resistance" ---- you'll get nearly 7 million hits. If you have excess body fat ---- particularly BELLY FAT ---- it's a dead give away that your body is resisting the effects of Insulin. One of the classic signs of Metabolic Syndrome is "Central Obesity".
- FATTY LIVER DISEASE / CIRRHOSIS: Sorry, but OBESITY (itself considered to be an "Inflammatory" problem) is a far greater cause of Cirrhosis than alcoholism. And if your liver cannot function properly, you will not be able to CLEAR YOUR SYSTEM OF TOXINS. Seems harmless enough until you click on the link and see how serious this aspect of Insulin Resistance really is.
- HIGH BLOOD SUGAR: Be aware that many of you have ELEVATED BLOOD SUGAR even though your readings are still in the "normal" range, and your doctor is telling you that you do not have DIABETES. Those of you in this category are what I refer to as "Functional Diabetics".
- NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEMS: Even though GLUTEN is also a big culprit in this bullet point, we know that Insulin Resistance is directly tied to problems like ALZHEIMER'S and NEUROPATHY. My guess is that before it's all over, most, if not all diseases that are NON-GENETIC in nature (HERE) will be tied in some form or fashion to Insulin Resistance.
- DIGESTIVE ISSUES: Because we know that one of the factors that weakens / negates the strength and function of your stomach acid is processed sugar and processed flour, we see these being tied to Insulin Resistance as well. To understand this process better, simply read my post on H. PYLORI, REFLUX & DECREASED STOMACH ACID.
- ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS: The first thing we think of here is DIABETES. But the reality of the situation is that virtually all ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS (including female hormonal issues,, THYROID PROBLEMS, and FIBROMYALGIA) are being tied directly or indirectly to Insulin Resistance. Case in point is the number one female issue facing American women today --- PCOS.
- DYSBIOSIS: Insulin Resistance not only drives DYSBIOSIS, is is also driven by it as well. ANTIBIOTICS and Insulin Resistance are not good bedfellows if you are interested in long-term health (HERE HERE, HERE & HERE).
- SLEEP APNEA: Although SLEEP APNEA is tied to Weight Issues, it is also tied to Insulin Resistance as well.
- OTHERS: This list is by no means exhaustive. We could add many other diseases to it, as well as other categories of disease such as AUTOIMMUNITY. Just remember; when you start tying things on this list together (Adrenal, Inflammation, Weight Gain, Neurological Issues, etc), sooner or later you are going to end up with Chronic Pain.
Not only are the problems on this list caused by Insulin Resistance; as crazy as it sounds, they actually feed it as well. In other words, it is a very vicious cycle. The key is to break this cycle by controlling your blood sugar, and subsequently decreasing the amount of Insulin coursing through your bloodstream at any given moment. This is why the first part of any "Get Healthy" program is dealing with blood sugar. The diet I recommend? There are any number of Low Carb Diets that will help accomplish this, but for lots of reasons, PALEO will probably help more people the most (mainly because it also deals with GLUTEN). By the way, come back tomorrow for a post called WEIGHT LOSS EXCUSES.
"Insulin resistance — also called metabolic syndrome— is so pervasive today that we evaluate nearly every woman who visits our clinic to determine her level of risk. Experts estimate that 25% of all Americans suffer from insulin resistance. Over 80 million Americans suffer from insulin resistance, and it appears to sit at the center of a web of related health problems. Women who are insulin resistant are at much greater risk of obesity, diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), heart disease, high cholesterol, breast cancer and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). There is some evidence that insulin resistance may contribute to endometrial cancer. It has also been implicated in Alzheimer’s disease. Insulin resistance often accompanies the most common complaints we hear at Women to Women —fatigue and weight gain. As women approach menopause, they become increasingly intolerant of carbohydrates and find it easier to gain weight, especially around their waists. Afternoon blahs, sugar crashes and carbohydrate cravings may all be early insulin resistance symptoms." Cherry-picked from What Is Insulin Resistance? by Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN NP.
SOLVING A CASE OF PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME IN A YOUNG WOMAN
UNDERSTANDING THE GLUTEN, LEAKY
GUT, AUTOIMMUNITY CONNECTION
"Once people's Immune System begins making antibodies to Gluten; for reasons that are not yet clearly understood, these same Immune Systems often begin making antibodies to self. This is called Autoimmunity..... Autoimmune Diseases tend to travel in packs, like wolves. This is because your problem is not the disease itself, but the fact that your body is making antibodies to itself and will continue to make antibodies to itself until you dry up the source of Inflammation and fix the Leaky Gut." From the UNIVERSAL CURE section of my Blog.
The AMA hated Dr. Lee because of his stance on the relationship between nutrition and health (or lack thereof). As outlandish as it might seem today, until the 1980's, the official stance of the AMA was that as long as a person was getting enough calories and their RDA's for the various vitamins and minerals, nutrition could not be the major factor in one's health. In fact, at one of Lee's many legal proceedings, Dr Elmer Nelson, head of the FDA's Nutrition Division, said this in response to Lee's assertions. "It is wholly unscientific to state that a well-fed body is more able to resist disease than a less well-fed body." One of the things these various organizations specifically attacked Lee for was his work on GUT HEALTH and Leaky Gut Syndrome.
A foundational health principle you'll absolutely have to understand if you ever hope to make a dent in your CHRONIC AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE(S) (HERE is a short list of some of the more common Autoimmune Diseases) is something that is most widely known as LEAKY GUT SYNDROME (the medical research community refers to it as Increased Intestinal Permeability). Despite the fact that the biggest number of practicing physicians either don't know anything about it or completely deny it's existence, listen to what Dr. Lee wrote nearly 70 years ago.
So, how in the world does a "Leaky Gut" lead to allergies / sensitivities? Instead of me taking a lot of time to explain something I already went into detail about, I will let the venerable heart surgeon, Dr. Oz do it for me (HERE). Just understand that due to UNCONTROLLED INFLAMMATION, the "tight junctions" (small gaps) between individual cells in the Gut (intestines) become "loose", which allows the tight junctions to get looser. This lets increasingly large particles of undigested foods and proteins into the gut. Your body recognizes these as foreign and begins to mount an Immune System attack on them by creating antibodies. Here is where it begins to get crazy. Listen to what Royal Lee said 60 years ago about this phenomenon of Leaky Gut Syndrome and its effect on health (this is transcribed from a lecture given in the mid 1950's).
"Don't forget now, there are two kinds of antibodies. There are natural tissue antibodies and there are antibodies to foreign proteins. Most of our textbooks on immune reactions discuss nothing but the antibodies that are developed against foreign proteins. In this next period of scientific development of this physiological reaction, you're going to hear more about natural tissue antibodies. They've been discussed and described but you won't find them in the textbooks yet."
The thing that the FDA, AMA, and other organizations despised him for above all else (they literally hounded him to an early grave with the constant law suits and legal battles), was his work on the relationship between Autoimmunity and malnutrition / nutritional deficiencies. You see, Dr. Lee discovered something all these decades ago that we still don't really understand today. He discovered that there was a part of the nuclear matter of certain kinds of cells that would work against Autoimmunity (slow it down or sometimes even stop it) without grossly suppressing the Immune System like immunosuppresive drugs such as Corticosteroids do. Take a look at this video describing the general way the Anti-Autoimmunity factors that Lee incorporated into dozens of his nutritional formulas work. He called these Anti-Autoimmunity factors Protomorphagens, or PMG's for short
Secondly; although Whole Food Nutritionists have been successfully using Dr. Lee's work / products for decades to help people suffering with all sorts of Autoimmune Diseases, the science is beginning to catch up with his mind. One break-through occurred a couple of years ago, when blood tests were finally developed for a number of the more common Autoimmune Diseases. Enter Cyrex Labs. Founded by one of the world's premiere Immunologists (Dr. Aristo Vodjani, MD), Cyrex is not only the world's top lab for testing for GLUTEN SENSITIVITY / GLUTEN CROSS-REACTIVITY, they are also testing for things like Increased Intestinal Permeability (Leaky Gut Syndrome), and is, as far as I am aware, the only lab I'm aware of that is testing the blood for specific Autoimmune Antibodies. Although the ANA blood test (Anti-Nuclear Antibodies) has been around for a long time, all it does is tell you if you have Autoimmunity in your system. The Cyrex test goes much farther and tells you which specific tissue(s) / enzyme(s) / protein(s) your Immune System is making antibodies to. And they are regularly adding to THIS LIST (Array 5 is the Autoimmune Antibody list). Let's look at one example of an Autoimmune Disease where Lee's knowledge (he had largely figured this thing out back in the 1940's) and Vodjani's incredible grasp on immunology can be seen working symbiotically.
TEENAGERS WITH HEADACHES?
MAKE EM PART OF THE OPIOID EPIDEMIC!
GIVE THEM DRUGS!
"Opioids were go-to drugs for teen headache even though evidence-based guidelines do not recommend them for first-line treatment." From a recent MedPage Today article by John Fauber and Kristina Fiore, called, Teens Likely to Get Opioid Rx for Headaches.
The latest issue of the Journal of Adolescent Health stated that, "Of 8,373 adolescents with headache, 46% (3,859 patients) received an opioid prescription. Nearly half (48%) received one opioid prescription during follow-up; and 29% received 3 opioid prescriptions." According to the study, about a quarter of those receiving narcotics were diagnosed with MIGRAINE HEADACHES. This means that 75% of the youth seeking out medical care for their headaches do not have Migraines, yet are being largely treated with hardcore and addictive drugs. And we wonder why we have a DRUG PROBLEM here in America?
According to the article, they recommend things like Tylenol / Ibuproffen or other OTC PAIN RELIEVERS (liver, kidney, and heart destroyers), NSAIDS, or (gulp) a nasal spray called Sumatriptan. Sumatriptan (aka Imatrex) is a drug given for people with Migraines. The side effects of this drug --- especially over time --- can be brutal. Let's stop for a moment, attempt to regain our composure, and use some good old-fashioned common sense.
- DIET: Because such large numbers of our nation's adolescents eat such cruddy diets, this is probably the best place to start. The very first thing to do is cut SUGAR / SODAS / JUNK FOOD, and get the blood sugar under control by going LOW CARB. Yeah; I get it --- it's tough to get your kid to eat like this ---- particularly if they have been eating the SAD (Standard American Diet) for most of their life. Just keep reminding yourself that you are the parent in this relationship. Oh; if you Google HEADACHES / GLUTEN, you might realize that your child may very well need to go GLUTEN FREE. Depending on the source of the headache, there are some great WHOLE FOOD SUPPLEMENTS to help people dealing with headaches as well.
- CHIROPRACTIC CARE: Chiropractors have been successfully helping large numbers of people (kids and adults) with headaches for well over 100 years. This can be in the form of ADJUSTMENTS or SCAR TISSUE THERAPY (I cannot begin to tell you how many kids I have found with Chronic Scar Tissue over the years). Depending on the state of the spine, RESTORATION OF THE PROPER CURVE could be a big deal as well. This is much easier to accomplish in children than adults.
- PROPER AMOUNTS OF SLEEP AND EXERCISE: As our society becomes more "plugged in", we tend to get less sleep and exercise. This can be a significant factor in headaches as well.
- FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGY: If serious headaches persist, I would suggest consulting with a CARRICK-TRAINED Functional Neurologist. The problem could be in the brain.
NOT WHAT WE'VE BEEN LED TO BELIEVE
"When it comes to predicting heart trouble, doctors essentially play a guessing game. So among all the factors they consider --- such as a person's age, weight, family medical history, and cholesterol levels --- it turns out that one of the most reliable indicators may also be a bit unexpected: calcium." Alice Park from the latest edition of Time Magazine (A Smarter Health Test: Screening for Calcium could get Millions off Statins).
I have said it before. Simply taking cheap supplements or drinking more milk is not a good way to get your calcium, nor are these sources going to prevent or reverse Osteoporosis. Studies are bearing this out (HERE). (It certainly wouldn't hurt for you to get involved with a RESISTANCE-TRAINING REGIMEN either). The recent study mentioned above (Dyslipidemia, Coronary Artery Calcium, and Incident Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: Implications for Statin Therapy from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis) from Baptist Health South Florida in Miami, spells this out. It was published in the October 20, 2013 issue of Circulation --- the journal of the American Heart Association, and contains some rather frank revelations. The authors found that over 1/3 of the people with calcific build-up in blood vessels that we often refer to as "hardening of the arteries" (Atherosclerosis / Arteriosclerosis) could get off their STATIN DRUGS as long as they have no other overt signs of heart disease. Why is this a big deal? Follow the link. The more you learn about Statin Drugs, the more freaked out by them you will be.
Interestingly enough, earlier this week I received a package in the mail from one Thomas Levy, MD / JD (attorney / cardiologist) from Mississippi. Dr. Levy (along with my cousin, Dr. James Braly MD) is one of the experts on harnessing the incredible antioxidant power of massive doses of IV Ascorbic Acid to help certain classes of chronically ill people. His latest book is called Death by Calcium. Although I only started it a couple of days ago, Dr. Levy's topic and writing style have already drawn me in to the point of no return. I will be doing a review of this book in a few weeks. By the way doc, thanks again for the book! I look forward to finishing it.
MEDICAL GUIDELINES FOR ANTIBIOTIC USE
(ARE THEY BEING FOLLOWED?)
"We saw enormous variability in the rate of antibiotic prescribing. We estimate that even a modest reduction in unnecessary or inappropriate prescribing would have major benefits in terms of reducing the number of infections, super-infections, and cases of C. difficile." - CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden from an exclusive video interview with Medpage Today on 3/4/2014. To learn more about the "SUPER BUGS" or C. DIFF INFECTIONS that Frieden is talking about, just follow the links.
It was just a couple of days ago that we talked about MEDICAL GUIDELINES and the fact that they cannot be trusted. About the time that I was writing that post, the CDC issued new warnings concerning Antibiotics. According to our government, it seems that when it comes to Antibiotics, physician's prescribing habits can vary wildly. It seems that doctors in some hospitals are prescribing 300% more Antibiotics than doctors in other hospitals. According to a Vital Signs study published in the online version of the latest issue of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, doctors could and should cut Antibiotic use by at least a third. Things are getting better, but honestly; this is the same thing I have been hearing for two decades. What does it really take to get through to the medical community on this issue? It begs the question of exactly how many Antibiotics prescribed today are considered to be (using their words) "unnecessary or inappropriate"?
“Our research shows that while only 10 percent of adults with sore throat have strep, the only common cause of sore throat requiring antibiotics, the national antibiotic prescribing rate for adults with sore throat has remained at 60 percent. For acute bronchitis, the right antibiotic prescribing rate should be near zero percent and the national antibiotic prescribing rate was 73 percent.” Jeffrey A. Linder, MD and Michael L. Barnett, MD, MPH of the Division of General Medicine and Primary Care at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. The study was published in the December, 2013 issue of JAMA Internal Medicine.
"Research shows that 50% of prescriptions for antibiotics are inappropriate (mainly when they are given for coughs and colds). This makes future treatment of bacterial infections more difficult. Many bacteria are now resistant to antibiotics that used to control them. When we turn to newer and more expensive antibiotics, bacteria develop resistance to them as well. In the battle between antibiotics and bacteria, the bacteria seem to be winning." From the Website of Sutter Health, California Pacific Medical Centers.
"For decades, there has been a significant effort to reduce inappropriate antibiotic prescribing. Despite this work, new research finds only incremental improvement in antibiotic prescribing for adults with acute bronchitis and sore throat." From the October 3, 2013 issue of ScienceDaily (High Rates of Unnecessary Prescribing of Antibiotics Continue).
"Did you know that nearly 50 percent of antimicrobial use in hospitals is unnecessary or inappropriate?" From the 'Professional' side (as opposed to the patient side) of the Infection Prevention & You website.
"From this group [those suffering with C-DIFF], 77 percent received at least one dose of unnecessary antibiotic, and 26 percent of patients received unnecessary antibiotics exclusively. Common reasons noted for unnecessary antibiotic use included urinary tract infections and pneumonia (despite little-to-no evidence of either being present), inappropriate surgical prophylaxis, and asymptomatic bacteriuria." From the January 9, 2013 issue of SHEA (the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America) in an article called, Unnecessary Antimicrobial Use Increases Risk of Recurrent Infectious Diarrhea.
"The results show 1 in 6 U.S. children (15.6 percent) who went to visit their primary care physician or the emergency department for ASTHMA was prescribed antibiotics without justification. That equates to about 1 million children who received these drugs inappropriately. This practice goes against U.S. and international guidelines that say antibiotics should be used in asthma patients only when they are also suffering from bacterial infections." From a May 23 story on LiveScience's site. The study they were referencing came from the journal Pediatrics.
"An estimated two-thirds of global antibiotic sales occur without any prescription, and studies in Indonesia, Pakistan and India show that over 70% of patients were prescribed antibiotics. The great majority - up to 90% - of injections are estimated to be unnecessary." From the World Health Organization's (WHO's) article titled The World Medicines Situation.
"The inappropriate use of antibiotics among adult patients at U.S. emergency departments is not falling, despite increasing concerns about antibiotic resistance, a new study reveals." From U.S. News and World Report's HealthDay column on January 24, 2014 called ERs Not Curbing Overuse of Antibiotics, Study Reveals. The study they were talking about came from the UAB School of Medicine in Alabama, and was published in the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.
The truth is, I could go on until you were sick. But then again; if I did, someone would want to give you Antibiotics. Seriously folks, this Antibiotic thing is for real. In fact, there are GOVERNMENTAL AGENCIES calling this a "global crisis" of the highest magnitude. Forget the government. They can't protect you. It's up to you to protect yourself and your family. The best place to start is by simply educating yourself about matters such as this and then making the appropriate changes.
GOVERNMENT BANS OUTDOOR WOOD FURNACES
"In October, attorney generals for some of the most liberal states — Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, Rhode Island, Vermont, New York, and Oregon — filed suits against the EPA seeking restrictions on wood-burning heaters." From Cheryl K. Chumley's 2/18/2014 Newsmax article called EPA's Wood-Burning Stove Ban Deals Blow to Rural Homes. For the record, the state of Washington had already done this.
"This is but another example of EPA and other government agencies working with activist environmental groups to sue and settle on claims that afford leverage to enact new regulations which they lack statutory authority to otherwise accomplish. “Sue and settle “ practices, sometimes referred to as “friendly lawsuits”, are cozy deals through which far-left radical environmental groups file lawsuits against federal agencies wherein court-ordered “consent decrees” are issued based upon a prearranged settlement agreement they collaboratively craft together in advance behind closed doors. Then, rather than allowing the entire process to play out, the agency being sued settles the lawsuit by agreeing to move forward with the requested action both they and the litigants want. And who pays for this litigation? All-too-often we taxpayers are put on the hook for legal fees of both colluding parties." From Larry Bell's 1/29/2014 article in Forbes called EPA's Wood-Burning Stove Ban Has Chilling Consequences For Many Rural People. HERE is the entire article.
"Stoves will need retrofitted to burn unicorn flatulence." From EPA Bans Most Wood Burning Stoves In A Corrupt Scheme, Fireplaces Next on the Weasel Zippers website.
I grew up in an old Kansas farmhouse burning wood to stay warm (mostly hackberry, red elm, and hedge). Although the house had a rusted out oil-based boiler system in the basement, and radiators throughout, we rarely if ever used them unless we were going to be gone for several days around Christmas. We heated the house with a large wood-burning stove in our living room, which was eventually switched out to a pellet stove after my brother and I left home. Although that old stove kept us warm, wood-burning technologies have certainly improved.
We can keep our entire house as warm as we care, burning nothing but wood that we add a couple times a day. The furnace is about 80 feet from our house, with anywhere from one to two years worth of firewood stacked around it. Wood never comes in the house so there is absolutely no mess. Although many people chose to cut their own, I usually take my kids and raid the local mills in the summer time (there are several within a 15 minute drive from our house). We can get a load of their scrap and cutoffs (block ends) on our 16 foot trailer in about 20 - 30 minutes. Because logging is big industry here in the Ozarks, there is lots of scrap wood available either free or for a nominal charge. We usually get ours over the course of several early mornings during the month of May --- before it really gets hot (I hate having to go out and cut or haul firewood when its nasty outside).
Just the other day, I heard the owner of Earth Outdoor Wood Furnaces (down the road in Mountain Grove) on the radio talking about how these new regulations could very well put them out of business. I would say it's high time for Missouri's legislature to pass some resolutions against these sorts of absurd Federal regulations ---- particularly for those of us in the boonies of rural America. I realize that this would not stop the government from going after us, but it's a start. It is this sort of governmental over-regulation in virtually every facet of life that is rotting this country from within, and largely what's led over half of our nation's doctors to want out of their chosen profession (HERE). What do we have to do to reign in the stupidity? Unfortunately, I'm not sure at this point.
PROBIOTICS FOR BABIES?
"Infantile colic is a common functional gastrointestinal disorder of early infancy. ...Infantile colic has a substantial deleterious impact on society by negatively affecting parental health, resulting in decreased family functioning years later.... The immediate impact on the infant is unknown; they certainly do not seem happy. Ten years later, these infants with colic become children who have an 11-fold increased risk for developing recurrent abdominal pain, as well as an increased risk for allergic diseases and psychological disorders." - Bruno P. Chumpitazi, MD, MPH and Robert J. Shulman, MD from their recent editorial in JAMA Pediatrics called Five Probiotic Drops a Day to Keep Infantile Colic Away? Shulman is a Professor of Pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine.
"Chiropractors are rarely qualified to diagnose a baby's ailment. A baby who cries inconsolably may have colic, or he may have constipation, acid reflux or a milk allergy" - Victor Turow, M.D., a pediatrician at North Shore University Hospital in Great Neck, New York from a 2011 post of mine called COLIC & CHIROPRACTIC.
Not only do we know that virtually all drugs have wide ranging and nasty side effects, we should be aware of the lack of scientific validity for most of them (HERE). It all leads us to wonder what in the world we should do for our newborn's health? If you have been reading our posts on GUT HEALTH (particularly the one on NEWBORNS), you already know the answer to this one. Avoid ANTIBIOTICS as if your life depends on it, and do whatever it takes to RESTORE AND MAINTAIN GOOD BACTERIA. Although I used to be vilified as a quack for telling my patients these kinds of things, the medical community is finally starting to come around.
- Episodes of regurgitation / reflux
- Duration of inconsolable crying (minutes per day)
- Number of bowel movements per day
- Feeding changes
- Number of visits to pediatricians
- Number of visits to a pediatric emergency department for a perceived health emergency
- Pharmacological interventions
- Loss of parental working days
Although Lactobacillus Reuteri --- an organism widely considered to be "universal" in animals --- has dozens of scientifically proven benefits (inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria, infections, E. Coli, H. PYLORI, yeasts, fungi, and protozoa; boosting immune system function; resolves diarrhea-causing ailments, including INFLAMMATORY BOWEL PROBLEMS; prevents tooth decay; helps the body absorb nutrients better; and promotes overall health). But again, like the probiotic Acidophilus, L Reuteri is only one organism. What can be done to see that your baby gets a plethora of beneficial bacteria into their systems?
WHY EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE FAILS
"Figures never lie, but liars figure." - Mark Twain
"Much of what medical researchers conclude in their studies is misleading, exaggerated, or flat-out wrong. So why are doctors - to a striking extent - still drawing upon misinformation in their everyday practice?" Dr. John Ionnidis from 2010's piece in the Atlantic called Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science.
"This puts in question the reliability of the formal medical journal published evidence base underpinning modern medical research and practice. The impact is on medicine and its practice is at every level internationally. Evidence-Based Medicine was doomed from its inception, lacking logical, scientific and theoretical foundations. Large scale RCTs [Randomized Controlled Trials] are used universally to prove the safety and efficacy of new drugs but commonly used to claim “small” treatment effects. This means in that in the majority of recipients, the drugs are shown to have no effect. In only small numbers are effects claimed and those claims are shown now to be based on flawed premises where even the claimed effect may not exist." - Clifford Miller, Evidence-Based Medicine or Ignorance-Based Evidence? from the September 28, 2011, issue of Clifford Miller's Law Blog (England).
"But how can "research" be biased? Let me give you one example out of thousands. A few years ago, the sugar industry published a study saying that high amounts of sugar did not cause behavior problems in children. If you are a parent, common sense will tell you otherwise. So where was the sleight of hand? The studies compared the behavior of two groups of children. Group I (the control) was given the sugar equivalent of about 18 cupcakes a day. Group II (the experimental group) was given not quite double that amount of sugar. When behavior problems were compared between the two groups of children, there was no statistical difference." - Dr. Russell Schierling from a post called "MORE ON STATIN DRUGS".
"What if 90% of the peer-reviewed clinical research, the holy grail of the conventional medical system, is exaggerated, or worse, completely false?" - Sayer Ji of Green Med Info.
Don't get me wrong. We should be using "evidence" to determine what sorts of medical treatments are the safest and most effective. Although you may be totally unaware of the fact, the problems with accomplishing this have proved all but insurmountable. One of the biggest is that we currently have a system where evidence / science is whatever the people with the most money say it is (HERE). And think about this for a moment; if practicing according to the 'evidence' is so great, doesn't it make you wonder about the billions of tax dollars used for research over the course of the past century, starting with the FLEXNER REPORT? I have written extensively about EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE and the fact that many in the scientific community believe it to be a pipe dream. Let me show you why it can never really work for many types of practices, including mine.
A while back I wrote about the various ways that the studies on Anti-depression drugs were tweaked to look much better than they really were. One of the chief ways this was accomplished was to make sure that the studies that didn't go as well as the drug companies had hoped, were never published. Another common ploy is to engage in something called "data dredging". After a study is completed, the authors hire statisticians to comb through the data and look for any conceivable way to twist it so that in some convoluted way, the drug looks statistically better than the placebo (this is actually fairly easy to do, depending on how a study is set up --- see the example from the top of the page). Or what about failing to include the people who drop out of the study due to side effects (sometimes as high as 25 or 30% --- HERE is an example of this with Infantile Colic, or you can just click on the Depression link above)? When Dr. Arif Khan of the Northwest Clinical Research Center in Washington State looked at over 50 clinical trials on antidepressant drugs performed between the years 1985 and 2000, he found that only about half showed that the antidepressant was better than the placebo. Khan's team did a similar study in 2012, looking at the effects of Anti-depression medications versus placebos versus "alternative methods" such as exercise and acupuncture in nearly 180 studies. Conclusions?
"Although antidepressants alone and psychotherapy alone did differ significantly from placebo controls.... they did not differ from alternative therapies such as exercise and acupuncture or active treatment control procedures...These alternative therapies themselves were not statistically superior to placebo." - Khan, et al, July 30, 2012 issue of PLOS One (a medical journal), A Systematic Review of Comparative Efficacy of Treatments and Controls for Depression.
The big knock against natural healing (the Chiropractic profession included), is that there is not enough 'evidence' to back up what we do. In other words, it is always claimed that the evidence for what we do tends to be anecdotal (subjective) as opposed to empirical (objective). But lets look at this for a moment. There actually is a great deal of SOLID RESEARCH on Chiropractic. But this problem goes far deeper than that. It's one thing to test a drug against a placebo (or another drug) in a double-blinded study. But how in the world would I test CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS against a placebo? How would I test something intense like TISSUE REMODELING against a placebo? Particularly in the classic "double blinded" manner associated so strongly with science (neither the doctor nor the patient knows who is getting the real treatment and who's getting the sham). I would contend that the very nature of the way that I treat patients excludes blind / double blind placebo controlled studies. And since this is the "Gold Standard" of research, folks like me are automatically discredited and then lumped together and thrown over on the pile labeled "unscientific". In their minds, since I have little more than satisfied patients who refer their friends and family, and a whole bunch of those stupid VIDEO TESTIMONIALS, I'm a quack with no real evidence to back up what I do. I will delve deeper into this issue of "evidence" in a moment, but for now let's shift gears.
After Abraham Flexner's infamous report of the early 20th century (HERE), evidence has become an increasingly important part of what constitutes 'science'. Alternative healing methods are pointed to as quackery because they are not meeting the criteria for what constitutes Evidence-Based Medicine. But how could they? It takes very little digging to realize that the mainstream medical community is not meeting these criteria either. However, they are allowed to hide behind their white coats, test tubes, and Bunsen burners, while decrying everyone else as unscientific.
The conclusions of the January 2014 issue of the Mayo Clinic's online journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings published a large study (Systematic Analysis Underlying the Quality of the Scientific Evidence and Conflicts of Interest in Interventional Medicine Subspecialty Guidelines) that concluded, "Most of the interventional guidelines failed to grade the evidence. When present, most guidelines used lower-quality evidence. Furthermore, most guidelines failed to disclose COIs. When commented on, numerous COIs [Conflict of Interest] were present." Wow. Financially conflicted low quality evidence that wasn't even graded. How's that for Guidelines? In fact, when the Medical Guidelines for 149 different specialties / subsets of medicine were looked at, here's what Mayo found.
- Less than half (69 of 149) of the guidelines graded the quality of evidence.
- Of the 3425 recommendations reviewed, level A evidence supported only 364 of them --- just over 10% (Grade A evidence is defined as Randomized Placebo Controlled Trials --- often referred to as RCT's)
- Nearly two thirds of the guidelines (62% or 92 of 149) failed to mention financial Conflicts of Interest.
- Of those Guidelines that did disclose Financial Conflicts of Interest, over 90% (52 of 57) had them. In the "Conflicted" studies, there were nearly 6 "Conflicts" per.
- Prometheus Laboratories
- Alba Therapeutics
- Alvine Pharmaceuticals
- Abbott Laboratories
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals
- Warner Chilcott
- Given Imaging
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
STRATEGIES FOR SOLVING THIS PROBLEM NATURALLY
"Less than 25 percent of patients with hypertension in the United States have their blood pressure under control, mainly because of inadequate or inappropriate therapy and noncompliance. Approximately one half of these treatment failures are related to factors such as cost and adverse effects of medication...." Drs. Suzanne Oparil and David Calhoun of the University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, from a 1998 article in the American Family Physician (Managing the Patient with Hard-to-Control Hypertension).
"Would you rather lower your blood pressure by changing your physiology to deal with the underlying cause(s), or would you rather mask the symptoms of the underlying cause by taking a pill?" - Dr. Russell Schierling
For the record, not everyone will respond to natural methods. Neither this post nor this site are meant to diagnose or cure any diseases, but are for "informational" purposes only. No animals were harmed in the writing of this post. The stunts were the work of professional stunt men --- do not try this at home. As always, consult your physician before using live ammunition.
Now that that the disclaimer is out of the way, let's get down to business. And in order to do this, we will have to have a basic understanding of hydraulics. Let's look at a simple garden hose for a moment. We've all used garden hoses before. What will create higher pressure in a garden hose? In other words, what can you do to make water shoot farther out of the end of the hose with more force?
- How about putting your thumb over the end of the hose to make the outflow hole smaller?
- What if we could somehow shrink the diameter of the entire length of the hose itself?
- How about using a hose that was more like a steel pipe (something like PEX, without any real give to it)?
- What about increasing the power / output of the pump?
- What if we could change the viscosity / thickness of the fluid going through the hose?
- What would happen if we could affect the temperature of the fluid or hose?
The truth is, all of these things have the ability to affect the pressure in the garden hose, and all can be modulated (not being an engineer, there are probably a few I have left out). Let's start transferring this information over to the human body and talk about some of the things that have the ability to increase or decrease your blood pressure according to the things on this list.
RISK FACTORS FOR HYPERTENSION -vs- CAUSES OF HYPERTENSION
Dietary Salt is a touchy issue that seems to attract a lot of erroneous information, and I think that for the most part, doctors who tell patients to avoid Table Salt (sodium chloride ---- NaCl) are getting it wrong. The peer-reviewed scientific literature is loaded with studies saying that salt is not nearly the health problem that it was once declared to be (HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE are a few examples of many --- as always, do your own research). This would make sense in light of the fact that meat and other foods were, for centuries, preserved in the stuff. I do, however, believe that sodium can be problematic. Where does the majority of sodium come from? Why processed foods, of course. Once you learn a bit about MONO-SODIUM GLUTAMATE (MSG), you will see yet another reason it is important to read food labels.
"The link between salt and blood pressure is thought to date back to the 1940s when Duke University researcher Walter Kempner, M.D., became famous for using salt restriction as a means to treat people with high blood pressure.... Despite history, a brand new review of several studies from the past few decades related to blood pressure and salt intake suggests Kempner wasn’t right — that salt might not have as much of an effect on blood pressure and heart health as suspected." Lisa Collier Cool from her December 6th, 2012 article called, "Disappointingly Weak Link Between Salt and High Blood Pressure".
"In 1972, when the National Institutes of Health introduced the National High Blood Pressure Education Program to help prevent hypertension, no meaningful experiments had yet been done. The best evidence on the connection between salt and hypertension came from two pieces of research. One was the observation that populations that ate little salt had virtually no hypertension. But those populations didn’t eat a lot of things — sugar, for instance — and any one of those could have been the causal factor. The second was a strain of “salt-sensitive” rats that reliably developed hypertension on a high-salt diet. The catch was that “high salt” to these rats was 60 times more than what the average American consumes." The venerable GARY TAUBES (watch the video at the end of the link) from the June 12, 202 issue of The New York Times (Salt, We Misjudged You).
Practically all lists of risk factors for Hypertension will include dietary fat as a culprit, and more particularly animal (saturated) fat / red meat. But is this really true? Again, when you look at the peer-reviewed literature on the subject, it seems that this is another of those salt-like myths that seems to be tougher to kill than the Hydra. HERE is one such example. Are there more? HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE, are a few of many (HERE is an article from a heart surgeon not named Mehmet). So; if things like dietary salt, CHOLESTEROL, and red meat / saturated fat are not the cause of High Blood Pressure, what the heck is? It's not like I haven't spilled those beans on this already.
The major cause of heart disease (high blood pressure, High Cholesterol, etc) is UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR --- the leading cause of Inflammation. That's right, unless you have some sort of genetic issue from a young age, you can typically control your Blood Pressure with diet and lifestyle changes. Follow closely because not all diets or exercise programs are created equally. For instance, who here remembers the "High Carb / Low Fat / No Fat" 80's and 90's? Makes you wonder how many people died as the direct result of the Heart Association Diet and Food Pyramid? Here is the really cool thing. This same diet I recommend for people with High Blood Pressure (THE PALEO DIET) also happens to be the best way to eat whether your problem is Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, AUTOIMMUNITY, CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES, or any number of others (including your WEIGHT). Tightly / strictly / narrowly control your blood sugar, and watch everything improve at once. This is what happens when you get to the root of the problem instead of masking symptoms.
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON SYMPTOMS OF HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE?
- SEVERE HEADACHES: As crazy as it seems, there are actually studies showing that HBP (or an increased pulse pressure --- the difference between the high and low numbers) can actually decrease one's chances of headaches. Be aware that this can be the result of a condition that would almost be akin to a NEUROPATHY in the brain.
- VISUAL DISTURBANCES:
- POUNDING OR 'WHOOSHING' IN YOUR EARS, NECK, OR CHEST / PALPITATIONS OR IRREGULAR HEARTBEAT:
- CHEST PAIN / ANGINA:
- FATIGUE / CONFUSION:
- BLOODY URINE / NOSEBLEEDS:
- BREATHING PROBLEMS:
NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
"I hear it all the time. Hey Doc; you got anything good for high blood pressure? I need to lose about 60 lbs; what have you got for weight loss? What about my heart problems? How about my stomach problems? What can you do for my hormonal problems, acid reflux, fibromyalgia, blood sugar, chronic fatigue, (insert your disease of choice here) ......cancer? The question that people really want answered is, "Hey Doc, What have you got that will cure all my health problems, make me lose weight, and keep me functioning in the bedroom, but allow me to keep eating the same crap, continue my same habits, and let me continue living the same self-destructive lifestyle that I have my whole life?” This isn't health! This is the promise of modern medicine. Unfortunately, we are inadvertently being taught that health is not our responsibility any more. It's something that our doctors (and now our government) are supposed to do for us." From my WHOLE FOODS PAGE.
For one, the NIH seems to be trying to conjure up the ghosts of the Food Pyramid by suggesting people eat between 6 and 12 servings of grains a day. The problem with this is that today's grains are not the same grains that were being consumed by our great-grandparents (HERE). Not to mention, grain is what farmers use to pack fat on their cattle. You eat 6 to 12 servings a day, and eventually you'll look like the offspring of the Goodyear blimp. DASH also allows up to 4 servings from a category labeled "fats and sweets". Sorry, but it's 2014. Equating fats to sweets in this day and age is about as distant from anything scientific as one could get. On top of all this, DASH wants you to, "put away the salt shaker". I've already shown you that this is bad news (HERE is one more short example from my site). And the recommendations to consume low fat or no fat dairy each day? The whole thing reminds me of 1988.
All of this begs the question as to why our own government would not want its citizens on BP (other than the fact that they / we are now paying for most of it through taxes). In other words, why are tax dollars being spent on telling us what to eat, and what are the side effects of the medications used to lower Blood Pressure?
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF BLOOD PRESSURE LOWERING MEDICATIONS?
- DEPRESSION / ANXIETY:
- HEADACHES: This was one of the number one side effects of antihypertensive drugs.
- CHRONIC FATIGUE:
- RAPID HEART RATE:
- DECREASED HEART RATE:
- LOW BLOOD PRESSURE / FAINTING:
- HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE:
- INABILITY TO THINK OR CONCENTRATE:
- SYMPTOMS OF CELIAC DISEASE, SUCH AS UNCONTROLLED DIARRHEA OR UNCONTROLLED WEIGHT LOSS:
- DIZZINESS / VERTIGO:
- MALE IMPOTENCY: This was a top side effects of this class of drug.
- LACK OF SEX DRIVE: This can be male or female
- BREAST CANCER:
- DRY HACKING COUGH:
- SKIN RASH:
- LOSS OF TASTE:
- WATER RETENTION / SWOLLEN ANKLES / SWOLLEN EYES:
- STUFFY NOSE:
- HIRTSUISM: Excessive Growth of Hair
- JOINT PAIN:
- DRY MOUTH:
- FREQUENT URINATION:
- BLEEDING GUMS:
- LOSS OF POTASSIUM:
- ODD OR METALLIC TASTE / LOSS OF TASTE:
- TROUBLE BREATHING:
- BLURRED VISION:
- MORE: To see the entire list of types and brands of blood pressure medications as well as their side effects, just do an online search.
Listen; I get it. You may end up having to go on antihypertensive drugs. Particularly if you have seriously abused your body for years and years or if you have Secondary Hypertension (Hypertension of a known origin such as ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS or Kidney Disease). But Primary Hypertension (aka Essential Hypertension or Idiopathic Hypertension --- Hypertension of unknown cause) is 95% of all hypertension. The great thing about this is that you now know much more about solving this problem than you did just one hour ago. Continue to learn and make changes, and one day soon (with your doctor's help of course) you may be able to get off the drugs. Or better yet, never need to start the drugs in the first place.
THE FLEXNER REPORT
"Truth is stranger than fiction." Mark Twain
"He who pays the piper, calls the tune." Old English Proverb
John David Rockefeller was born in 1839 in New York to a mother who was a devout Baptist, and a father who wore many hats including that of the traveling huxter; a snake oil salesman whose specialty was selling quack medicine to anyone gullible to fork over the bucks (he fancied himself a "botanical physician" and was known locally as "Devil Bill"). Since Bill was rarely home and did not play a large role in the day-to-day raising of his six children (including John David), things were tough and the family tended to move around. Shortly after moving to the Cleveland area when Rockefeller was 14, JD got a job as a bookkeeper in a produce business. Considered bright, articulate, highly religious (he tithed 10% to the Baptist church throughout his lifetime), and exceptional at verbally expressing himself and his opinions, he had, by age 20, learned enough of the trade to go into business on his own.
Rockefeller worked hard and was extremely successful. With his knack for business, it did not take long for him to find his way into the budding oil industry. In fact, you may have heard of his company; Standard Oil. By the time he was a middle aged man; between oil, railroads, and shipping, he was literally making money hand over fist (he was the world's first billionaire). Because Standard Oil refined between 80 and 90% of the world's crude during most of his lifetime, he was accused of and eventually convicted of holding a monopoly under the Sherman Anti-trust Act of 1890. By this time, he was also butting heads with the steel magnate, Andrew Carnegie. And although he lived to be nearly 100 years old, he was retired by the time he reached his early 60's, earning tens of millions of dollars a year on his investments, and becoming well known for giving away his money to causes that he not only believed in, but would sooner or later provide a substantial ROI.
Although not nearly as common today, we still see this "homeopathic" thought process in play today with things like allergy shots, and even on some level, vaccines (although the homeopathic remedies were far more diluted than vaccines). Rockefeller was not only a proponent of Homeopathy (he is said to have actually preferred it), but also an owner / developer of early biotech companies that among other things, created medicine and vaccines.
The brilliant Rockefeller who never missed a trick when it came to seizing the chance to make money, saw an opportunity and took full advantage of it. Which brings us to his plan to commandeer modern medicine. Rockefeller began to realize that just like other industries he was deeply involved in (oil, railroads, shipping, steel, etc), the whole of medicine had the potential to be controlled as well ---- at a handsome profit. This was particularly convenient considering he suspected he was about to get busted for monopolizing the oil industry. If his plan could come to fruition, there would be no more wandering "Devils" hawking coal tar from the back of their wagons. The pharmaceutical industry would become mainstream and scientific, with its wares (drugs and surgery) being promoted, prescribed, and sold by educated and respectable people wearing white jackets.
ROCKEFELLER'S CONNECTION TO EUGENICS
THE PERFECT STORM
In the early 1900's, this battle between Allopathic Medicine and the several competing forms of "Alternative Medicine" (often referred to back then as "Eclectic Medicine") came to a head. Rockefeller had previously used one Simon Flexner, a physician and researcher on staff at the brand new Johns Hopkins University, to organize his Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research just after the turn of the century (it eventually became Rockefeller University). In 1907, Rockefeller hired Simon's brother, Abraham; a 'cutting edge' school principal from Louisville, Kentucky who had modeled his private school on the teachings of John Dewey, America's "Father of Modern Education", and original author / signer of the First Humanist Manifesto.
Before taking on this endeavor, Abraham did research on medical education and practice. The European method resonated with his love for science, and he soon become enamored with the German system in particular --- the system that Johns Hopkins was based on (and his brother just happened to work for). The results of the book-length "Flexner Report" of 1910 led to sweeping reforms in American medical education and practice. For better or worse, within a matter of years, the number of medical schools had decreased by 80% (from 150 to 30) and in less than a generation, the Homeopathic Schools were totally gone.
Dr. Bill Bowman (M.D.) ---- in an article making the point that the Flexner Report was particularly bad for rural America --- put it this way. "He began his visits in January of 1909 and finished April 1910. His aggressive schedule barely allowed him a whole day each for the evaluation of some schools. His efforts were closely linked with the American Medical Association, who provided resources. An AMA official accompanied Flexner throughout most of this period. Some feel that Flexner had inadequate time to do the visits including one stretch of 90 days where he visited 69 schools."
A popular online encyclopedia had this to say about the work he was doing. “Flexner clearly doubted the scientific validity of all forms of medicine other than that based on scientific research, deeming any approach to medicine that did not advocate the use of treatments such as vaccines to prevent and cure illness as tantamount to quackery and charlatanism. Medical schools that offered training in various disciplines including eclectic medicine, physiomedicalism, naturopathy, and homeopathy, were told either to drop these courses from their curriculum or lose their accreditation and underwriting support. A few schools resisted for a time, but eventually all complied with the Report or shut their doors.”
Rockefeller and the Carnegie Foundation (an organization which as near as I can tell is now under the umbrella of and controlled by the Rockefeller Foundation) published their study on the state of the various medical schools in the United States and, along with the full backing and financial support of the AMA, began a massive advertising campaign to let the public know what constituted "good" medicine, and what constituted quackery. You either got on board or got out.
As an important side note to this issue, a decade earlier Carnegie had written a series of articles called The Gospel of Wealth. His premise was that since he and Rockefeller now owned everything of any real value (including the government), the American system of free enterprise (capitalism) was dead. There would be no competing businesses unless allowed. Furthermore, Carnegie wrote that every aspect of life and business would be regulated through various forms of licenses, which, only the highly educated (i.e. wealthy) would be able to obtain. The stated reason? Carnegie said the the goal was to be able to control all facets of day-to-day life, including education and economics by social engineers like himself, Rockefeller, and a few select others. Quite interesting in light of what is currently going on with government-backed educational programs such as Common Core.
Today you can get on the internet and read about a jillion articles on "The Illuminati", Rosicrucians, Freemasons, the Knights Templar, and who-knows-what other "Skull & Bones" types of organizations these folks (Rockefeller, Carnegie, Ford, and others) were supposedly involved with. I have no real interest in this, and frankly think that most of it is poppycock. What I do know is that Rockefeller and his fellow philanthropists realized early on that the practice of medicine could be shaped and molded by donating huge sums of money (hundreds of millions of dollars) to follow the European model as recommended by Abraham Flexner. Instead of allowing individuals, towns,and communities to make their own decisions concerning the various aspects of healthcare, the AMA stepped in with their Council on Medical Education and lobbied the government to begin heavily regulating both medical practice and medical education.
Although this was not necessarily all bad (there were plenty of quacks, and many of these schools were nothing less than diploma mills that needed to be shut down), it led to a great number of problems including much higher costs for education, fewer rural doctors, fewer female doctors, fewer minority doctors, dramatically higher costs for medical care, and much more governmental control. And that's just for starters. Instead of the free market taking care of itself, medicine became a system propped up and dependent on massive infusions of tax dollars and private grants from the various Foundations. Fail to follow the new paradigm and you were left out in the cold. Oh; and don't forget who "owned" the government at this time. Rockefeller, and numerous others who held the purse strings in those days had a vision. They realized that they could change the system and get rich in the process. Let me show you a tiny example of what I am talking about.
Let me ask you a question. If your medical school is home to the PFIZER Research Center, the GLAXOSMITHKLINE Genetics Lab, or the Rockefeller Biotechnical Consortium, Do you think that there might be a potential conflict of interest? Who do you think is funding most of the building occurring on the campuses of our nation's medical schools? This one's a no-brainer. BIG PHARMA and the Foundations controlled by those who own or have huge financial interest in Big Pharma. And because the FDA simply "monitors" the research done in these facilities, there is virtually no such thing as 3rd party, independent research in America anymore (HERE).
Wouldn't it be interesting to know how much money we are talking about here? Suffice it to say that over the course of time, there have been tens of billions spent. According to the American Association of Fund-Raising Council, between the years 1964 and 1968, Foundations funded healthcare (including medical education, capital projects, hospitals, and others) to the tune of 500 billion dollars --- dollars which went a lot farther then than they do now. The problem of Foundational giving got to be so blatant that congressional hearings were convened in the early 1950's to look into the matter.
Yale-educated banker and expert on Foundational spending had this to say, "The result of the development and operation of the network in which the foundations (by their support and encouragement) have played such a significant role, seems to have provided this country with what is tantamount to a national system of education under the tight control of organizations and persons little known to the American public . . . . The curriculum in this tightly controlled scheme of education is designed to indoctrinate the American student from matriculation to the consummation of his education." Of course, this begs the question of how much is being spent today.
Although hard numbers are sketchy to say the least, I would guess that about 50% of the researchers at our nation's medical research facilities are getting at least a portion of their salaries paid for by Foundations (many of which are funded directly by Big Pharma), with probably about one in five receiving their entire salary in this manner. And this is only salaries. Don't forget all the other aspects of the giving. Thus; how likely is it that the bastions of science --- our medical institutions ---- are going to bite the hands that feed them? Doubtful. HISTORY HAS REPEATEDLY SHOWN US that this industry is not doing a great job of policing itself. And let's be honest. The greater the amount of money involved, the greater the temptation to cheat.
Furthermore, if you study the FDA ITSELF, what you find is that there is incredible turnover at the top of the organization. In a day and age where people clamor for the security, benefits, and retirement associated with government jobs, why would this be? Easy. These folks get to the top echelon of the FDA, make 'friends' within Big Pharma, create policy, and then leave to go make 10, 30, or even 100 times more money in the Pharmaceutical Industry than they could by staying where they are at (HERE). But this is probably another story for another day.
With virtually all of the financial and media support swung in favor of Allopathic Medicine, some might say it's a wonder that Alternative Medicine has survived at all. The thing you have to grasp is that Alternative Medicine has not only survived, it has thrived. Twenty year old statistics showed us that millions of more visits were made to the Alternative Practitioners than to Allopths. And the most recent statistics on the subject (2009) said that most of this was paid for in an out-of-pocket fashion (sans insurance dollars).
In fact, the July 31, 2009 issue of Time Magazine stated that, "In some 300 million annual visits to chiropractors, massage therapists and other non-physician caregivers, we spend $11.9 billion, about a quarter of out-of-pocket spending for traditional doctor’s visits." The total spending on alternatives in 2009 was 34 billion. What do statistics like this really mean? Plainly stated; alternatives are valued! They are valued so highly because they work. To suggest otherwise would be suggesting that the whole of the American public is just plain gullible and stupid. But, even though things are slowly improving, much of the medical community continues to take pot shots at the alternatives. Lest you think I am being overly-critical, take a look at a few recent comments.
"I am a family physician from a tradition of scientific allopathic medicine and rational skepticism. I think much of what is today called "alternative medicine" is, at best, effective placebo, and, at worst, fraud. This is an unpopular position in our era of cultural relativism, and it is not often heard. The popular press, the fashionable elite, and many physicians, have embraced herbal remedies and homeopathic medicines. Nonetheless, I feel a professional and cultural obligation to speak out, even if I run the risk of being unfashionable." Dr. John G. Faughnan from Alternative Medicine, A Critique from Scientific Medicine.
"The impending national discussion about broadening access to health care, improving medical practice and saving money is giving a group of scientists an opening to make a once-unthinkable proposal: Shut down the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine at the National Institutes of Health." From an article by David Brown (Scientists Speak Out Against Federal Funds for Research on Alternative Medicine) in the March 17, 2009 issue of the Washington Post.
"There’s nothing inherently wrong with choosing alternative meds, ‘natural’ meds, and supplements if you find that for you there’s a benefit, and particularly if you can find evidence-based information about what they do. But it’s important to know that if they are having an effect, when it comes to your body, they’re no different from industrial pharmaceuticals." Emily Willingham from the February 27, 2013 issue of Forbes (There's Nothing Special About Alternative Medicine). Are you joking me? Natural products like WHOLE FOOD SUPPLEMENTS are not any different than "industrial pharmaceuticals"? I could debate the merits of this argument with one hemisphere of my brain tied behind my back.
"...there is no evidence that chiropractic treatment has any benefit beyond massage therapy. In almost every state, there are boards to regulate homeopathic practice as well as, chiropractic boards, naturopathic boards. They are state sanctioned and licensed treatments that have little or no proven efficacy." - Dr. Terry Simpson (Arizona WEIGHT LOSS SURGEON) from an online article on the Flexner Report called Unethical Medicine Sanctioned.
THE TIDES ARE TURNING
The truth is, physicians are being overwhelmed by government programs, governmental control, political agendas, bureaucracy, paper work, and outright stupidity. This might leave some of us wondering what the ultimate legacy of the Flexner Report will be? Sort of like the famous movie / play "Twelve Angry Men", the jury is still out, and the jurors are changing their minds in droves. Listen to what a Yale professor of Internal Medicine and Hematology with over 50 years experience, Dr. Thomas P Duffy, had to say on this particular subject a few short years ago.
Did the Flexner Report overlook the ethos of medicine in its blind passion for science and education? What was the cost of our success, and who has borne that burden? Review of medical care in the last century documents that the trust and respect that were extended to the profession 50 years ago have been substantially eroded. There has been a fall from grace of our vaunted profession. Physicians have lost their authenticity as trusted healers. The discontent with doctor’s errors, doctor’s silence, doctor’s experimentation, and the crass monetary orientation of the profession is legion. The profession appears to be losing its soul at the same time its body is clothed in a luminous garment of scientific knowledge. As it was, the science of medicine eclipsed the active witnessing of our patients.
Edmund Pellegrino’s lament was proven true that doctors had become neutered technicians with patients in the service of science rather than science in the service of patients. How else to explain the seemingly unexplainable Tuskegee experiments, the Henrietta Lacks tissue culture tragedy, the many occurrences in which the physician as scientist has taken precedence over the physician as healer. But this lesion is not restricted to situations in which patients are used as experimental subjects ― it pervades the fashion in which so much of medicine was taught and practiced in the last century. From a 2011 article in the September issue of the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine (The Flexner Report 100 Years Later).
WHERE IS ALL OF THIS LEADING US?
And although this emphasis on drugs and surgery to the near total exclusion of natural methods of healing has made a lot of doctors a lot of money, I am not sure it is leaving them fulfilled or happy. What would possibly lead me to make such a bold statement? Besides the link I left you a few paragraphs ago, let's look at a few statistics from the most recent survey (2012) of the Physicians Foundation (over 13,500 doctors were included in this poll).
- When asked about their feeling concerning the current state of the medical field, nearly 70% checked, "negative or somewhat negative".
- When asked about their thoughts concerning the future of the medical field, nearly 80% were on the "negative / pessimistic" side of the fence.
- Over 80% of the doctors polled checked "Somewhat Negative or Very Negative" when asked about physician morale (less than 2% checked "Very Positive").
- 85% of those surveyed believe that the practice of medicine is in decline.
- One third of these physicians said that if they had to do it all over again, they would choose a different profession, and nearly 60% said they would not recommend entering the profession to their children.
- Over 60% revealed that if they could, they would retire today.
- Not surprisingly, some of the main reasons given for the low morale and pessimism within the profession include "Too much regulation and paperwork" (99%), "Loss of clinical autonomy" (over 95%), "Erosion of the patient / doctor relationship" (over 90%), "Money trumps patient care" (over 85%), Physicians not compensated for quality" (over 90%).
Statistics like this lead me to believe that many doctors are waking up to the fact that Allopathic Medicine, while providing its share of successes, has in many arenas, been an abject failure. To begin understanding some of the underlying reasons, one need look no further than the 2007 study on "Clinical Evidence" from the British Medical Journal. After reviewing nearly 2,500 of the most common medical treatments, they found that only 13 percent were PROVEN to be beneficial. Twenty years earlier, Duke University's DR. DAVID EDDY told us that only 15% of medical treatments had any evidence for their use. Our own government had told us the same thing ten years prior to that --- the Office of Technology Assessment's 1978 study on the same topic found that, "only 10 percent to 20 percent of medical treatment had evidence of efficacy".
The pharmaceutical industry cannot continue to demand impossibly high standards of evidence from the Alternative Community, when they cannot attain those standards for themselves. Face it. Until we reign in Big Pharma's stranglehold over medicine (whether directly, through political lobbying, payoffs, and OUTRIGHT FRAUD; or by contributions from "Foundations"), things will never change. Science will continue be whatever the person or group with the most money says it is, and alternatives will continue to be squelched to the degree that Big Pharma is able to do so.
SEX AND THE HEALTHY MARRIAGE
When the question was asked of mothers as to how long they had gone without sex, the answers were rather shocking. One third said that they had gone "a few years" without sex, while 36% said they had gone "a few months". Over a quarter said they had gone "a few weeks" without. This means that 7 out of 10 mothers are going very long periods of time without sex. And unless there is some extracurricular hanky-panky going on, this would likewise ring true for their husbands as well. "I am not interested in sex" was also the number one topic that women (6 out of 10) said they would talk about with their best friend but not their doctor. How big a deal is this as far as quality of marriage is concerned? Let's look at a brand new study that was published in the January 27 issue of the Oxford Journals Journal of Gerentology to give us some potential insight into this matter.
Gerentology is the study of older folks and of the aging process itself. Researchers from Johns Hopkins University (Sexual Activity and Psychological Health As Mediators of the Relationship Between Physical Health and Marital Quality) recently concluded that, "We find that own fair or poor physical health is linked to lower positive and higher negative marital quality, spouse’s health to positive quality, and that own and spouse’s mental health and more frequent sex are associated with higher positive and lower negative marital quality. Further, we find that (a) sexual activity mediates the association between own and partner’s physical health and positive marital quality, (b) own mental health mediates the association between one’s own physical health and both positive and negative marital quality, and (c) partner’s mental health mediates the associations of spouse’s physical health with positive marital quality. These results are robust to alternative specifications of the model."
- Poorer health is linked to lower marriage quality.
- Poor mental health (although they were not mentioned in the Abstract, the most likely culprits here are things like DEPRESSION, or neuro-degenerative diseases such as ALZHEIMER'S, PARKINSONS, and MS) is related to poor marriage quality.
- If your spouse is healthy, your marriage quality will be better.
- More frequent sex is associated with better marriage quality.
- Sexual activity mediates / controls / is a determining factor not only in the quality of your marriage, but in both the husband and wife's physical health.
- Your mental health mediates / controls / is a determining factor not only in your physical health and quality of marriage, but in your spouse's as well.
Although this would seem to be commons sense, what are the implications for American marriages? In light of what we already know, not good. Health-wise, we know that when you count those who are SKINNY FAT, nearly 80% of our nation's adult population is either OBESE OR OVERWEIGHT. Furthermore, if you go back and look at the same Family Circle survey that was mentioned previously, nearly 60% of those polled said they exercise no more than once a month. Do you think that these two factors might be playing a role in the fact that America has the highest divorce rate on the planet (and other than Puerto Rico --- an American territory that will likely be our next state --- it's not even close)? Absolutely! But it does not have to be this way. If you understand the relationship between things like GUT HEALTH, DIET, INFLAMMATORY DISEASES, and AUTOIMMUNITY, you can literally begin the process of regaining control of your health and your life. Face it. Your doctor visits and medications aren't cutting it. It's time to take the bull by the horns and make some real changes. If you value your marriage and your family, it might be one of the most important decisions you've ever made.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration