Face it. No matter how you slice it, the immune system is complicated ---- incredibly complicated. Why do you think that the medical community sometimes resorts to actually removing the autoimmune patient's THYMUS GLAND ---- the headquarters of the immune system --- in their attempt to squelch the out-of-control autoimmune responses known as an "Autoimmune Storm"? A significant part of the problem is that few people in healthcare (mainstream or alternative) truly understand the underlying issues that can leave a person sensitive to foods (for instance, Gluten is heavily related to Autoimmunity --- HERE) or environmental toxins (i.e. MERCURY & ALUMINUM. which are commonly found in VACCINES). As the body becomes increasingly saturated with INFLAMMATION (to understand today's post you need to click this link) the Immune System will begin to attack one's own tissues, organs, or glands.
The immune system can essentially be broken down to four parts, TH-1 & TH-2, TH-3, and TH-17.
| || |
Regulates TH-1 & TH-2 Responses
For reasons that we do not fully understand (HERE), the body creates immune responses to certain foods. It also creates immune responses to things like PARASITES, chronic (hidden) virus or bacteria (see link in previous paragraph), aluminum, mercury, YEAST, MOLD, etc, etc, etc. Whatever the case, this frequently causes a massive, "whole body" (Systemic) immune system response that we call Inflammation. Inflammation is a group of chemicals which are part of the normal immune system response. However, when the body over-reacts to an invader (whether real or perceived), the inflammatory response usually leads to something called LEAKY GUT SYNDROME. But the Immune System reaction does not stop there.
In a final desperate, attempt to stop the invader (whether said invader is real or perceived), the TH-17 System can kick in. It is essentially a Self Destruct Mechanism. If the body cannot kill the invader (GLUTEN, for instance), then by golly it is going to make sure that it follows a scorched-earth policy so that there is nothing left of a particular organ, gland, or tissue for the invader to get a hold of. This is a full-blown Autoimmune Storm. Stopping an Autoimmune Storm is critical because every day that it continues, tissue is dying (THYROID, for instance, is an exceedingly common tissue to be attacked in Autoimmunity).
(Cellular Apotosis System)
If you want any real hope of squelching an Autoimmune Storm (as opposed to simply squelching the Immune System itself), you will have to figure out what is driving the Inflammation and Leaky Gut. Is it Gluten? Is it a parasite (yeah, don't kid yourself --- they are more common here in America than you can imagine)? Is it a latent (occult) bacterial or viral infection (latent virus's are all over the medical literature these days)? Is it a food sensitivity (namely an IgG reaction)? Remember; once we make IgG Antibodies to food, we begin making antibodies to self! Is it a sensitivity to Mercury, ALUMINUM, or some other environmental toxin? Is it an ADRENAL GLAND ISSUE (Cortisol -vs- Melatonin)? Whatever the case may be, the one and only way to find out is to get tested.
TESTING FOR UNDERLYING CAUSES OF AUTOIMMUNITY
The next thing to do is to figure out whether any "Deal Breakers" are present. Deal Breakers are problems that will prevent you from ever really healing yourself and getting better. The main Deal Breakers in dealing with Autoimmunity are.....
- Anemia (HERE)
- Blood Sugar (HERE) & Adrenal Stress Index (ADRENAL FATIGUE)
- GI / Liver (LEAKY GUT SYNDROME & PHASE I, II & III Detox)
- Fatty Acid Metabolism (HERE)
Although it might require some testing from a doctor versed in Functional Medicine, there are any number of things that you can do on your own. Many are generic (eat a healthy diet, get more sleep, exercise, blah, blah, blah). The things that are going to help you the most are specifically geared at changing your diet and lifestyle --- sometimes in a fairly radical way. To see how my SISTER and a CLOSE FRIEND accomplished this, click on the links. For general protocols, HERE is the place to look.
Doctor Arnold Jenkins asks this question in an open letter published in the October 2003 issue of the British Medical Journal titled, Might Money Spent on Statins be Better Spent? Here are some selected excerpts from his letter
"The benefits of publishing negative findings should be obvious. As a general practitioner I wonder how many million pounds sterling the NHS could save if the Medical Research Council, the British Heart Foundation, and the Lancet shared this view.... I was surprised to learn [THE SCANDINAVIAN STUDY] that more women died in the treated group than in the control group. On discussion with cardiology colleagues I was assured that as the numbers were small it was a statistical anomaly, resolvable by larger studies. Imagine my delight when I heard of the large HEART PROTECTION STUDY showing clear benefits in the use of statins for women. On reading this study I was therefore disappointed to find the total mortality [death] data for women MISSING.... I do not understand why the censors of this paper do not realize two things. Firstly, any meta analyses based on this study are likely to be skewed. Secondly, in such long term studies total mortality, not improvement in the condition [High Cholesterol], should be the gold standard for evaluation (euthanasia, for example, provides 100% cure of headache but should be ruled out on the mortality data). I have yet to find a paper showing a significant reduction in mortality in women for groups treated with statins.... Yet we are almost compelled by protocols such as the national service framework for coronary heart disease and local prescribing incentives to prescribe for this subgroup [this last sentence is for the proponents of Obama-Care here in America].... I wonder whether the money could be better spent or if we should abandon the little evidence based medicine we currently have?"
Pfizer spent 181 million dollars advertising their blockbuster STATIN DRUG Lipitor in 2010. Did it pay off? Does a one legged duck swim in circles? Lipitor was the number one drug in America that year with 7.2 billion dollars worth sold! Another statin (Crestor) was close behind at 3.8 billion dollars spent. However, Zocor (another statin) was the number two most-prescribed drug, coming in at a whopping 94.1 million prescriptions per year. Interestingly enough, the biggest mover (spending increase) was also in a statin drug (Crestor).
Why is the money issue such a big deal? It is part of the conspiracy to mis-educate and scare people concerning cholesterol. If I can create Cholesterol-induced panic, I can get everyone, including the government, to open their wallets. And like I already told you --- it really is all about the money (HERE).
Standard Medical Care -vs- Conservative Care
- REST: Undoubtedly, if you develop a tendon problem, you will have to go through a period of rest. The length of time that one should rest a problematic joint, however, is a controversial topic. Everyone has heard the old cliche', "You would have been better off to break a bone than injure a tendon / ligament". Because tendons have a poor blood supply, they heal slowly. However, rest is a double edged sword that can cause its own unique set of problems. Believe it or not, loss of or abnormal joint motion actually causes connective tissues to degenerate in much the same manner than overuse does. This is why there has been so much written about..............
- STRETCHES & EXERCISES: This is a great starting point for minor tendon problems. However, it is certainly not a cure all. Stretching and strengthening exercises can help heal some of the less severe tendinosis, as long as you are careful to take things gradually. Be aware that in certain cases (ususally more severe cases) stretching can actually make you worse (HERE).
- MODALITIES: Therapy modalities include things like ultrasound, TENS, and various forms of electric stimulation (we occasionally use a Mens-O-Matic microcurrent machine). However, the research on these modalities has not really proved that they help Tendinosis heal faster or better than not using them. My belief is that many clinicians still use these outdated modalities because insurance companies still pay for them. Truthfully, there is no real downside to trying some of these things to see if they might help you. Although insurances will not pay for them, there are some cool new modalities on the block that could be highly beneficial for tendon problems. My favorite is COLD LASER THERAPY. OXYGEN is sometimes part of my protocol for TENDINOPATHY / TENDINOSIS as well.
- HEAT / COLD THERAPY: Ice packs are a common treatment for tendinosis. Ice helps to relieve swelling and inflammation. Don't get an area too cold, don't put the cold directly on the skin, don't leave the ice on for more than maybe 10 minutes or so, and don't use ice right before stretching or exercising (HERE).
- MASSAGE: When massage is done properly, it can be a powerful tool in the battle against tendinopathy. The great thing is that with massage, you are actually addressing the degenerated and deranged connective tissue. No downside, but not a solution for many hardcore tendinosis.
- ACUPUNCTURE: This stuff has been around for several thousand years. I used to do lots of acupuncture, but switched to something much more effective about 11 years ago. But the truth remains, acupuncture helps a lot of people. However, those with hardcore scarring of their collagen-based tendon fibers will probably get limited results.
- BRACES: Braces can be a tremendous help in allowing people to function on a somewhat normal basis despite their problem. Be aware, however, that the more one relies on a brace, the weaker the supporting tissues get. Do not use a brace unless you absolutely have to.
- ORTHOTICS: Orthotics can be a Godsend when they are needed and done correctly. I can assure you that most orthotic products on the market are not great. And the so-called "custom" orthotics? 99% are off-the-shelf even though you may have gone through elaborate or computerized casting procedures. After suffering with POSTERIOR TIB TENDINOSIS and a Plantar Fascia problem for a decade, I met Shawn Eno of Xtreme Footwerks on Idaho Springs, CO. He saved my life!
- PROPER ERGONOMICS: In this day and age, this should be a given. Unfortunately, it's not. A while back I was treating a UPS driver for a shoulder problem. He was not improving, even though I could not find any reason he shouldn't be. He had me come out and look at his truck. No lie --- the seat was about 6 inches off-set from the steering wheel. Not good. If your work area is not fit to your body, problems (including tendinosis) can result. Another way to avoid tendinosis is to make sure that if you do a repetitive job at work, get cross-trained and periodically swap jobs.
- PROPER NUTRITION / SUPPLEMENTATION: Although last on the list, proper nutrition is certainly not the least! The very first piece of advice that I can give you for any and every health problem is to eat a healthy diet. Most of us have no idea what this really means, and are totally unaware that synthetic foods (foods not based on WHOLE FOOD NUTRITIONAL PRINCIPLES), are actually horrendously degenerative. The best work on this phenomenon is Dr. Weston Price's classic text, Nutrition & Physical Degeneration --- you can see a review by Steve Solomon online.
WHOLE FOOD VITAMIN C stimulates Type I collagen synthesis. Unfortunately, all the studies that have been done on Vitamin C and tendons have been done with Synthetic Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid). Remember this because studies have shown that adding Synthetic Vitamin C to injured tendon cells actually causes them produce abnormal collagen, as opposed to normal collagen. Any time you take a single nutritional compound out of its whole food nutritional complex, remove all the co-factors and synergistic nutritional compounds, and then manufacture a high-dose fractionated synthetic in a lab, you are unlikely to get the results you are hoping to get.
Glucosamine Sulfate with Chondroitin is a wonderful supplement. However, because it is more for cartilage issues, it tends to work well for degenerative osteoarthritis. It will probably not help much with tendinosis. And although Tendinosis is not an inflammatory problem, natural anti-inflammatory herbs such as garlic, ginger, tumeric, boswellia, bromelain; and anti-inflammatory fats such as PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE FISH OIL can make a huge difference, as can an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET. Lots of theories on why this is, but I am not sure that anyone knows for sure; other than the fact they have the capability to block pain.
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY MEDICATIONS: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories would not be expected to help tendinosis since it is an injury of chronic degeneration ---- not INFLAMMATION. However, these drugs (just like the anti-inflammatory nutritional compounds above) will often relieve pain. Just remember that the pain relief is usually short-lived, and that studies have shown that some NSAIDs actually impede the healing process, which is the last thing needed with tendinosis. For more information, read the article from a 2002 issue of the British Medical Journal called Time to Abandon the “Tendinitis” Myth.
- CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS: Cortisone injections have been shown to cause adverse effects on the collagen-based tissues in the area of the injection. Tendinosis is a chronic, degenerative, injury that can't be cured with CORTICO-STEROID INJECTIONS. Corticosteroids actually degenerate connective tissues and slow collagen formation. Corticosteroids are anti-inflammatory medications ---- and tendinosis is not an inflammatory condition! Doctors think cortisone reduces pain by reducing or blocking other irritating biochemical substances that occur as part of the injury process.
- PROLOTHERAPY: This one deserves to be right up there with PRP. I realize that there are people being helped by this treatment, but I have yet to meet them (I have met some people really messed up by prolo). Prolotherapy involves injecting a sugar solution into the injured area. The sugar causes irritation to the tendon which is hoped to promote healing via a local "Inflammatory" response. Although sugar is a fairly benign substance, it can provoke reactions that have the potential to leave people worse instead of better. I have spoken with numerous people who have gone the Prolo route. I have never one time personally met a person that has good things to say about it.
- SURGERY: Surgery is a last resort for tendinosis. There are few studies that show positive results for surgery. If you want to get a more realistic and accurate picture of people's experiences with tendinosis surgery, I would suggest that you check out the online support groups and message boards. You will certainly find some people that surgery has helped. You will also find a slew of people whom surgery has made worse.
WHY SO MANY ITEMS IN BOTH SECTIONS OF THIS LIST TEND TO BE
"The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons has provided a new classification of tendon injuries…. In the microtraumatic tendon injury the main histologic features represent a degenerative tendinopathy thought to be due to an hypoxic [diminished oxygen] degenerative process. The similarity to the histology [study of the cells] of an acute wound repair with inflammatory cell infiltration as in macrotrauma seems to be absent. A new classification of tendon injury called “tendinosis” is now accepted. Tendinosis is a term referring to tendinous degeneration due to atrophy (aging, microtrauma, vascular compromise). Histologically there is a non-inflammatory tendinous degeneration due to atrophy (aging, microtrauma, vascular compromise), as well as a non-inflammatory intratendinous collagen degeneration with fiber disorientation, hypocelluarity, scattered vascular ingrowth, and occasional local necrosis or calcification." Dr. Warren Hammer, board certified Chiropractic Orthopedist (in practice since the late 1950′s), from a 1992 column in Dynamic Chiropractic.
WHAT WORKS THE BEST?
- LOW LEVEL / COLD LASER THERAPY: Other than icing at home, this is really the only modality I use in my office. HERE'S WHY.
- VERY SPECIFIC NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS: When studies show that nutrition does not work well for certain things, they are usually right. However, what these studies almost always do is to take an isolated nutritional compound and then use a synthetic version as their "Nutritional Supplement". There are two problems with this. Firstly, no matter what anyone tries to tell you, Synthetic Nutrition is not the same as WHOLE FOOD NUTRITION. Secondly, you simply do not ever find isolated chemicals in nature. You find entire nutritional complexes being used in synergy with numerous other nutritional complexes. Trying to use a synthesized version of one chemical found naturally as part of a nutritional complex is a recipe for failure. The best supplement for tendons is LIGAPLEX by Standard Process. Ligaplex is made from cold-processed connective tissues of organically raised beef. It gives you the raw material for your body to actually produce the collagen-based tissues it must produce in order to heal injured tendons, ligaments, or FASCIA --- a problem which is frequently seen alongside Tendinosis.
- SCAR TISSUE REMODELING: Because these tendon problems are almost always "Degenerative" and not INFLAMMATORY, simply taking anti-anflammation drugs is not going to help over the long haul. The thing that must be accomplished is to break down these degenerative areas and microscopic adhesions. This is what the better part of this website is all about.
WARNING WARNING WARNING
Try nothing but organic meats and vegetables for a few weeks (no fruits for now) ---- almost like an Atkins Diet Induction Phase or PALEO DIET (heavy on the vegetables). This way you not only cover a likely GLUTEN INTOLERANCE, you cover the potential for CROSS REACTIVITY as well. A great starting point for everyone trying to figure out whether or not they have SYSTEMIC PROBLEMS can be found by following the link.
BILATERAL PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME
Jeanie was one of my original patients over twenty years ago. For who knows how long, she had struggled with buttock pain and sciatica. It had always been chalked up to the heavy, hard work associated with running a dairy farm. Every time I saw her, it was for the same complaint, and the adjustments that I did would not last for more than a day or two and her symptoms would be back ---- exactly like they were before.
Jeanie became one of my very first Piriformis Syndrome patients. After treating her successfully on one side, her other side became much more noticeable (our BULLSYEING PAGE will tell you why). We fixed that as well. Needless to say, Jeanie has become a big believer in our TISSUE REMODELING TREATMENT. She went from getting adjusted every month with no real change in her symptoms, to getting adjusted a few times a year with minimal Piriformis Syndrome symptoms.
Although the video is brand new, it has been over a decade since I treated Jeanie for this problem.
When tests are negative, far too many doctors treat patients like Brian --- as though there is nothing wrong with them --- and that the problem is all in their head (if there is even a problem at all). Like hundreds of other patients I have helped over the years, Brian had been called a malingerer (faker), and treated like a common drug-seeker. Doctors, along with his employers accused him of looking for a legal settlement or wanting to get on Social Security Disability. After several years of this ongoing fiasco, Brian was finally fired ---- for not being able to do his job. This is how Brian came to me ---- a broken man --- debilitated by CHRONIC PAIN and worried to death about how he was going to do to take care of his family.
The cool thing is, after his very first treatment, he was at least 75-80% ---- instantly. His first reaction was relief that he was not crazy after all, and that his problem was not in his head like he had been repeatedly told. His second reaction was disbelief that his problem was so treatable. His third reaction was anger at having a great job essentially stolen from him because of incompetence. After a couple more treatments, Brian was 100%. Although the video is brand new, this story happened three years ago, and Brian is still going strong ---- and working as hard as ever!
Keep on keeping on Brian! It is people like you that are why I absolutely love coming to work. Hopefully, I will still be helping people like Brian when I am old and gray.
CHOLESTEROL SCREENINGS FOR KIDS?
ONLY IN AMERICA
WHY ARE THE "EXPERTS" SUGGESTING THIS?
It's a no-brainer. This is just one more step in Big Pharma's ultimate goal of pushing more drugs on more people --- including your kids. Nowhere have they done this more effectively than with STATINS (cholesterol-lowering drugs). Teach people to be scared of cholesterol, fail to give them any real or valuable advice, and then give them absurd recommendations ---- all while petitioning regulatory agencies to have what is considered to be "normal" cholesterol levels lowered again and again (HERE). Medication should be considered for those.... who haven't responded after six months of lifestyle management. What are some of their brilliant lifestyle solutions? Try this one on for size. Short-term use of plant sterol or stanol esters -- such as those in some margarines -- have been shown safe at doses up to 20 g per day.
Are you joking me? Is this for real? Certain plant sterols can lower cholesterol, but even most of the uninformed people on the planet now realize that margarine is bad for you because it is made with partially-hydrogenated TRANS FATS! When huge studies have been done on the relationship between heart disease, high cholesterol, and dietary fat; the one constant that we see repeatedly is that the problem is not with animal fats, but with deadly trans fats (HERE, HERE, HERE)! However, the biggest part of the medical research community continues to ignore this information. All I can assume is that they are preparing their next generation of lifetime patients early. By the way, this would be like adding SYNTHETIC VITAMINS to crappy kid's breakfast cereals and telling you that they are good for you because they are "fortified". Oh wait; they did that decades ago.
If you want your kids to grow up healthy, let's start with a few of the simplest pointers that don't involve putting them on Statin Drugs or feeding them Trans Fats.
- HEALTHY FOODS: This is not rocket science folks. Do not feed your kids a GRAIN BASED DIET, but instead focus on raw or lightly steamed vegetables, fruits, and lean meats.
- CUT DOWN ON THE SUGAR: Again, this is common sense. Kids are eating a whacky amount of sugar these days. In fact, data suggests that the per capita consumption of sweeteners has climbed to over 200 lbs. Get your FAMILY'S BLOOD SUGAR under control or all the medication and surgery in the world will not help you!
- GET SOME EXERCISE: It is absurd how sedentary today's kids really are. It's not a coincidence that they are fat and struggling with "Adult" Diseases such as high cholesterol and Type II Diabetes. In case you may have forgotten, remind yourself that you are the parent. Limit (ration) the amount of TV, video games, computer time, for your children. Sure they will hate it right now. I promise that one day they will thank you! Get your kids outside. And there's no reason that you should not join them! HERE is what I recommend.
By the time I saw him, Jacob had already been to numerous doctors, specialists, and neurologists, as well as having all sorts of tests and scans run. Nothing. People have a difficult time understanding how a problem this brutally severe can SHOW NOTHING ON THE TESTS. By the time Jacob came to see me, his next step was a Spinal Tap. Doctors thought that he might be leaking spinal fluid. Listen as Jacob shares his amazing testimonial with you.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration