WEST PLAINS QUILL BUSINESS OF THE MONTH
"Trouble is, flibanserin has side effects that may outweigh its tepid benefits... The drug didn't boost women's desire any more than a placebo in two clinical trials." Deborah Kotz from the June 16, 2010 issue of U.S. News & World Report
"We don’t want attitudes to get in the way of a good drug." A recent statement made by Terry O’Neill, president of NOW.
"We do not believe there has been any gender bias with regard to our review of this drug." FDA Commissioner, Margaret A. Hamburg responding to accusations of sexism in drug approval
According to a 2002 study published in the summer edition of CNS Drug Review (Pharmacology of Flibanserin), Flibanserin works on both Serotonin and Dopamine receptors by increasing Dopamine and Noradrenaline (Norepinephrine) levels, while decreasing Serotonin levels). The paper went on to say that, "Flibanserin displays antidepressant-like activity in most animal models sensitive to antidepressants. Such activity, however, seems qualitatively different from that exerted by other antidepressants." The more recent studies have shown that despite the drug only increasing a woman's ability to have a "satisfying sexual event" by less than one time a month when compared to placebo (.8 to be exact), there are those within the halls of Congress claiming that the FDA is engaging in sexual discrimination with it's denial of this drug.
OK; where's the punch line? There isn't one. In response to rumblings from women's organizations such as the Jewish Women International, the National Council of Women’s Organizations, the Center for Health and Gender Equity, NOW (the National Organization of Women), and others, female members of congress (all democrats --- Chellie Pingree of Maine, Nita Lowey of New York, and Louise Slaughter of New York) led by Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida have taken issue with the fact that while there are over 20 FDA-approved drugs to treat MALE IMPOTENCE, there is nothing out there for women struggling with the female-equivalent ---- something called HSDD (Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder). A problem which, depending on whose research you think is most accurate, might affect anywhere from 10% - 35% of adult American females.
Mark my words, when this drug comes back up for review in a few months, it will be approved. The worst thing that could happen to a person, group, or organization here in America (FDA included), is to be branded as insensitive, intolerant, bigoted, prejudiced, sexist, or homophobic. Were there problems with the drug beyond the fact that it did not "perform" as hoped (no pun intended)? Yes; the drug has side effects (INSOMNIA, nausea, and drowsiness seem to be the biggest). In fact, the issue of sleepiness is large enough that there are currently studies underway to determine if the drug (which, unlike it's male counterparts such as Viagra, is to be taken daily) is safe to take if you drive.
I have a better idea. Why not learn about the underlying causes of both male and female SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION, and work at correcting them. That would seem to make much more sense than merely covering symptoms with a drug whose side effects will not really be known until it is on the market for several years (think Vioxx or Thalidomide here). But then again, history has shown us that making sense is something our government is rarely accused of.
WHY PALEO IS THE BEST DIET FOR
MOST CHRONIC HEALTH CONDITIONS
If you have spent significant time on my website, you may have picked up on the fact that most disease processes start with an inability of people to control their blood sugar ---- regardless of their readings. We shouldn't be surprised. Here in America, we are being buried underneath a mountain of SUGAR. When you spend as much time as I do combing through peer-reviewed literature, you start to see a pattern ---- almost every disease you can name has serious ties to UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR. This is true even for those who do not have full-blown Diabetes (HERE). The Paleo Diet is so effective because nothing is better at helping you control your blood sugar. But that's not all. The Paleo Diet cuts the most potentially reactive foods from your diet so that your Immune System cannot make antibodies against them.
The two most common foods that would fall into the "reactive" category are easy to name. Wheat (GLUTEN) and dairy. For many reasons (HERE are a few of them), today's foods (particularly true of with grains) are very different from the foods that were eaten by our great grandparents. Today, nearly everything is pasteurized, homogenized, GMO'ed, loaded with ANTIBIOTICS and HORMONES; and that's just for starters. The Blood Sugar / Gluten connection has been shown to be an important factor in virtually all AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (HERE is a list), ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, PARKINSON'S DISEASE, NEUROPATHY, MIGRAINE HEADACHES, DEPRESSION, Seizures, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, and a host of other Neuro-degenerative Diseases. If you want to begin understanding how all of this works together, just take a moment to read THIS POST.
Because the Paleo Diet is a vegetation-based diet, it has the ability to provide detox power to your system on a daily basis. The problems related to chemical toxicity as well as ESTROGEN DOMINANCE will be helped by a Paleo Diet just because it provides the raw materials to restore / refurbish the P-450 Cytochrome System (HERE). This is the way that your body gets rid of all chemicals, whether it is DRUGS (pushed or prescribed), Estrogen or synthetic estrogens, MSG, ASPARTAME, pesticides, herbicides, or heaven-only-knows what else.
The cool thing about the Paleo Diet is that it calms down and sometimes c _ _ _ _ (even if it does so, the FDA says that I could never use the word "cures" here) INFLAMMATORY PROCESSES that run rampant throughout the body. As I have contended before, I am not sure that one in a thousand people (many healthcare providers included) really understand what Inflammation is, or its widespread effects on health. Although things like Gluten, Uncontrolled Blood Sugar, TRANS FATS, and a whole host of others may get the credit, they do their dirty work via the process we call Inflammation. If you are chronically ill, chronically sick, or chronically OVERWEIGHT, you need to understand Inflammation.
I hear person after person tell me that they can't get healthy because they are too sick (or fat) to exercise. Forget the exercise for now. Health is probably at least 90% diet. Start eating the right way and watch your health dramatically improve --- even without exercise! If you want to get a better picture of the way that Gluten and Blood Sugar are related to sickness and disease in general, just follow THIS LINK.
CAUSES AND SOLUTIONS
"The management of de Quervain’s disease is determined more by convention than scientific data. From the original description of the illness in 1895 until the first description of corticosteroid injection by Jarrod Ismond in 1955, it appears that the only treatment offered was surgery. Since approximately 1972 the prevailing opinion has been that of McKenzie who suggested that corticosteroid injection was the first line of treatment and surgery should be reserved for unsuccessful injections. A systematic review and meta-analysis published in 2013 found that corticosteroid injection seems to be an effective form of conservative management of de Quervain's syndrome in approximately 50% of patients, although more research is needed regarding the extent of any [long term] clinical benefits." - Wikipedia, quoting from half a dozen scientific studies (1955 to 2013) from peer-reviewed journals.
- Pain at the Thumb Side of the Wrist
- Tenderness to the Touch in the Same Area
- Swelling Over the Thumb Side of the Wrist
- Difficulty Gripping Things or Opposing your Thumb (Pinching)
Even more interesting is that the two forms of treatment that the peer-reviewed literature discuss the most for DeQuervain's Syndrome (CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS and Surgery) are not any too effective. Case in point: just re-read the quote at the top of the page. Likewise, the same scientific literature considers NSAIDS to be 'palliative' as opposed to therapeutic (they have the potential to help you feel better, but do nothing to actually help you get better). In looking at the studies concerning treatment for DeQuervin's Syndrome, you will see lists of other treatment methods (besides Corticosteroid Injections or Surgery) that one might use to deal this this problem, and call them "experimental" (COLD LASER THERAPY is on this list). But then again, what can you expect from EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE. As you may have noticed, drugs and surgery rule the day --- it's where the biggest money is. As we already learned from the quote at the top of the page; just like so many other health problems (HERE), treatment protocols are determined not by "scientific data" but instead by "convention" (tradition). GREAT RESULTS cannot be faked!
I would suggest that if you think you think you might have this problem, take a long look at my site's DeQUERVAIN'S SYNDROME PAGE. I promise that you'll learn far more than your doctor ever thought about telling you (including information on making the diagnosis yourself ---- it takes all of two seconds).
RIB PAIN / CHEST PAIN / RIB TISSUE PAIN
"Rib tissues can be injured in a variety of ways. Coughing and sneezing are a couple of common ones. Throwing is also a fairly common way to injure these tissues (especially throwing something really heavy like a chunk of firewood). As you can imagine, rib injuries are common in sports. Not only are they found in contact sports like football, but they are also found frequently in baseball, softball, and even golf (swinging a bat or golf club can tear rib tissues and put even the “heavy hitters” on the D.L.)." - Doctor Russell Schierling from Destroy Chronic Pain
About three years ago, Bryana was rock climbing and rappelling. She fell, swung outward, and crashed back into a hunk of rock jutting out from the face, hitting her chest / ribs in the process. Over the course of the past few years, Bryana has been through every test you can imagine (many of them multiple times) and seen a wide variety of specialists. When nothing showed up on tests, it was believed that her problem might be cardiac (despite the fact that she was barely out of junior high school). Yes, she was dragged through all sorts of cardiac tests, which were all negative.
CHRONIC RIB TISSUE PAIN: CAUSES AND SOLUTIONS
- INFLAMMATION: Any time you hear the word "itis" you need to realize that you are dealing with a physical problem based on INFLAMMATION. In fact, when it comes to causes of chronic rib pain, Inflammation is a common one. Take, for instance, Costochondritis. Costochondritis (costo / chondr / itis --- cost = ribs, chondro = cartilage, and itis = inflammation) would mean you are dealing with an inflammation of the rib cartilages --- an extremely painful and miserable condition. Other than the standard fare of NSAIDS, there a couple of extremely effective things you can do for this particular problem. The first is to DRAMATICALLY CHANGING YOUR DIET. The second would be LOW LEVEL LASER THERAPY.
- DEPRESSION / STRESS / ANXIETY: I included this one simply because so many people with chest pain or pain in the area of the rib cage are told that their problem is stress. Don't get me wrong; I very much realize that stress can be a serious problem (HERE is a wild example). However, it can and frequently does become an easy scape-goat. The same thing can be said about DEPRESSION and anxiety, which are both considered to be "Inflammatory".
- CARDIOVASCULAR PROBLEMS: This is one that cannot be discounted or overlooked. Having a diminished blood flow to the heart can cause chest pains in the form of angina or even a heart attack. Bear in mind that in many cases, Heart Attacks get undue credit for causing chest or rib pain (HERE is one such example).
- RIB FRACTURES: If you are having spontaneous rib fractures from things like twisting or coughing, you have a serious issue on your hands in the form of OSTEOPOROSIS or a similar systemic disease process.
- RIB SUBLUXATION: SUBLUXATION is the chiropractic term used to describe bones that are not completely dislocated, but are not lined up correctly in relationship to each other (understand that the medical community uses the terms subluxation and dislocation synonymously). Typically, if a rib is "out of place" you will have pain when you cough, sneeze, or breathe. Although rib problems are not 'dangerous' in the sense that a Herniated Disc can be, they can be exquisitely painful to the point of making you think you are dying.
- TEARS OR ADHESIONS OF THE RIB FASCIA: Although this is not one you will find on the "Top Ten" lists of rib pain for popular medical sites like Web MD or Mayo Clinic, it is a major cause of rib or chest pain that can range from mild to SEVERE / DEBILITATING (click on link for a rib pain video from another young woman who was told her rib pain was cardiac-related).
Part of the problem is that most doctors don't really seem to grasp the importance of FASCIA or understand how it can so frequently wind up involved in various CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES. Throw in the fact that fascia is not easily imaged with MRI and you create the environment for unleashing CHRONIC PAIN'S "PERFECT STORM". Fortunately, our protocols for detecting and treating SCARED CONNECTIVE TISSUES are, in the majority of cases, quite effective at getting to the bottom of things, finding the causes of Chronic Pain, and dealing with them in a timely manner. To see how effective, take a look at some of our hundreds of VIDEO TESTIMONIALS.
HEADACHE OR SKULL PAIN...
IS THERE REALLY A DIFFERENCE?
I have a pain on my skull or scalp, which is slightly worse if pressure is applied. It is the same sensation that I used to get as a child when I had my hair pulled back into a pony tail, but I haven't worn my hair like that for about 15 years now. It's a patch on the top right of my skull/scalp. Does anyone have any idea what this is? - Franniesh from Wellshpere
FASCIA is the thin, cellophane-like membrane that surrounds all muscles, nerves, blood vessels, and bones (it goes by different names depending on the tissue it surrounds). Part of what makes Fascia so unique is that it is not only the most abundant CONNECTIVE TISSUE in the body, it is arguably the single most pain-sensitive tissue in the body as well. Just like other soft tissues, Fascia has the potential to be injured and form MICROSCOPIC SCAR TISSUE. Add to this the fact that Fascia is so thin that it cannot be properly imaged with even the most technologically advanced imaging techniques (CT / MRI), and you can see the potential of being swept away by CHRONIC PAIN'S PERFECT STORM.
CUT-AWAY IMAGES OF THE HAIRLINE ON TOP OF THE SKULL
The arrows in the images are pointing to the Galea Aponeurotica, which is also known as the Epicranial Aponeurosis (the thin layer of Fascia that surrounds the skull). This is extremely pain-sensitive tissue and can become "TETHERED" when injured.
While in his early teen years, he developed "Skull Pain" a few months after a fairly serious injury to his face (a broken zygomatic arch) and subsequent surgery. Over the course of 5 years, Joe had been to all sorts of doctors (many psychiatrists and neurologists), a plethora of tests, and taken a large array of drugs --- many being "psych" drugs and meds from THE BIG FIVE. He even ended up working on a farm for 6 months as part of a program developed to help people thought to be dealing with Psycho-Somatic illnesses (i.e. --- problems that the experts believe are all in their head). Finally, another neurologist ran a SPECT SCAN and told the family that Joe had no signs of mental illness or organic disease process in his brain --- something he had been trying to convince them of for years.
I told Joe that while ONE TREATMENT would probably not be enough to completely solve his problem, he would know whether or not our approach would help him. He had Fascial Adhesions all over his head, neck, and face that were so bad, you could hear them 'CREAKING' as he moved. I broke the adhesions (different than craniosacral techniques), and the difference was immediate and significant (I will warn you that he looked like he had been at least a couple rounds with Mike Tyson --- HERE). I received this email a few days later.
Dr. Schierling, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with this. For all the things I've tried over the past 5 years, this is the only thing that has helped -- so it gives me a hope that I did not have before. I do feel different after the work you did. I can't say it is 100% gone, but the fact that it is improved is all I've been looking for. Thank you again and I will let you know how things go.
"Dear Dr. Schierling, I wanted to thank you for helping my son 'Joe'. In the past few years Joe had seen numerous doctors, had several brain scans and was given all types of medications. We spent thousands and thousands of dollars, all this to try to find some relief, yet nothing seemed to help him. He planned his trip without me knowing, and called me after he returned to tell me all about it. He spoke so highly of you. He said you were the only doctor that really understood him. He found relief with your treatment. Thank you for giving him hope and for being so kind. I hope he will be able to visit you again soon. With warm regards, Joe's Mom."
I can't remember if I saw Joe one more time or two, but regardless, as I was working early as is my habit (I'm usually writing / studying by 4:00 am, before starting with patients at 8:30); as the sun started coming up I noticed a car in the parking lot, with someone asleep behind the wheel.
DOES MAMMOGRAPHY SAVE LIVES?
LET'S LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE
FALSE POSITIVE: Tests that that show you have a certain disease or health problem, even though you do not have said disease or problem (or the problem is so non-invasive that it would never be an issue in your natural lifetime).
FALSE NEGATIVE: A test that fails to pick up the fact that you actually do have a certain disease or problem.
OVERDIAGNOSIS: Usually based on incorrect presumptions or "False Positive" tests. You are officially diagnosed with a disease or health problem you either do not have or is not aggressive enough to ever progress to overt symptoms.
OVERTREATMENT: Based on "Overdiagnosis". You are now actually treated for a disease or health problem you do not have or will never become a problem in your natural lifetime.
DEATH: The latest studies on this topic as it pertains to Breast Cancer and Mammograms are revealing that women who get regular mammograms have no less chance (some say they increase your chances) of dying of Breast Cancer than women who get no mammograms at all.
"Even with a specificity of 90%, most abnormal mammograms are false-positives. .....most of those cancers would probably not result in illness or death. Treatment of these cancers would constitute overtreatment. The magnitude of overdiagnosis due to mammographic screening is controversial, with estimates ranging from 0% to 54%.... It may be estimated that [due to excessive amounts of radiation] up to one breast cancer may be induced per 1,000 women aged 40 to 80 years undergoing annual mammograms." - From the National Institutes of Health's (National Cancer Institute) guidelines.
"In September 2010, the New England Journal of Medicine, one of the most prestigious medical journals, published the first study in years to examine the effectiveness of mammograms. Their findings are a far cry from what most public health officials would have you believe. The bottom line is that mammograms seem to have reduced cancer death rates by only 0.4 deaths per 1,000 women --- an amount so small it might as well be zero. Put another way, 2,500 women would have to be screened over 10 years for a single breast cancer death to be avoided." -Dr. Joseph Mercola
"This latest publication is just a longer-term follow-up of a study that was completed over a decade ago, so the fact that they did not find a benefit from mammograms is not new." - Richard Wender, MD: Professor and Chair of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.
- OSTEOPOROSIS DRUGS PREVENT FRACTURES: The truth is, Osteoporosis Drugs cause fractures. I have been warning people of this fact for over a decade (HERE). Fortunately, the powers that be are starting to admit this on a small level.
- HIGH CHOLESTEROL IS THE CHIEF CAUSE OF HEART ATTACKS: The underlying culprit in the vast majority of Heart Disease is INFLAMMATION and not CHOLESTEROL. This is one of the reasons why you do not want to be on STATIN DRUGS.
- VACCINES ARE SAFE: Whether we are talking about FLU SHOTS or VACCINES in general, they are anything but safe. Sure they prevent acute diseases. The problem is, here in America we have been trading acute illnesses for chronic, long-term NEURO-DEGENERATIVE DISEASES, AUTISM, AUTOIMMUNITY, CANCER, and ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS, for decades.
- DOCTORS DON'T PERFORM TESTS OR PRESCRIBE DRUGS THAT YOU DON'T ACTUALLY NEED: Really? Although I could show you dozens upon dozens of examples, just look at these two topics and try and convince me otherwise (HERE & HERE).
- ANTIBIOTICS KEEP OUR NATION HEALTHY: Although ANTIBIOTICS undoubtedly have the ability to save lives, their overuse has been a major causal factor in POOR GUT HEALTH (including LEAKY GUT SYNDROME and IBS) as well as a whole host of AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES and DYSBIOSIS.
- AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE DIABETES, MY BLOOD SUGAR IS FINE: HERE and HERE are solid proof that "Uncontrolled Blood Sugar" (even if your numbers are in the 'normal' range) is one of our nation's foundational health problems.
- ANTI-DEPRESSION DRUGS ARE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE: Because so many of you reading this post are on ANTI-DEPRESSION DRUGS, it would behoove you to click on the link and spend just a little bit of time reading before accusing me of speaking out of turn.
- ANNUAL PHYSICALS ARE A CRITICAL PART OF GOOD HEALTH: This is simply not true. Why not? Because of something you are going to learn a great deal about today ---- way too much over-treatment due to "False Positives". More on this topic to come.
- EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO PRACTICE MEDICINE: EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE is the way doctors are currently forced to practice medicine by our bureaucracy-loving government. If you believe that this is improving your quality of care, you may want to click on the link.
Here's the thing folks; I could have included dozens of other examples of medical myths and sacred cows. If you want to read more about them, they're all over my site. But time is short. We need to get back to our question at hand. Is mammography a life saving diagnostic tool that leads to early detection of BREAST CANCER, and ultimately saves women's lives, or is it not? Let's cut straight to the chase.
- Routine mammograms should begin at age 50 instead of 40. They should also end at age 74.
- Women should receive a mammogram every other year instead of every year.
- Based on the most current peer-reviewed scientific literature, self-examination of the breasts (something that has been heavily promoted for decades) has little or no value.
According to a study published in this month's issue of BMJ (The British Medical Journal), Canadian researchers who started following a group of almost 90,000 women 25 years ago have come to some interesting conclusions concerning mammography and Breast Cancer. The women were divided into two groups ---- those who had annual mammography and those who had no mammography at all. Listen to the author's conclusions at the end of the 25 years. "Annual mammography in women aged 40-59 does not reduce mortality from breast cancer beyond that of physical examination or usual care when adjuvant therapy [chemo / radiation] for breast cancer is freely available. Overall, 22% (106/484) of screen detected invasive breast cancers were over-diagnosed...." The study's lead author, Dr. Anthony B. Miller (M.D.), Professor Emeritus of the University of Toronto's School of Public Health clarified what they meant by going on to say that, "At the end of the screening period, an excess of 142 breast cancers occurred in the mammography arm compared with the control arm.... This implies that 22% (106 of 484) of the screen-detected cancers in the mammography arm were overdiagnosed".
In simple English, this means that 22% of those diagnosed with CANCER did not actually have Cancer. I would assume that most, if not all of these women then fell into the category of "Overtreated" In fact, there were researchers from around the world (Dr. Mette Kalager, MD, of the University of Oslo in Norway was one of the most renowned) who looked at the study and said that since the type of Breast Cancer called "ductal carcinoma in situ" that accounts for 25% of all Breast Cancers was not included in the study, the numbers would actually be worse than Miller's group determined --- significantly worse. Gulp. Dr. Kalager's team published an editorial in the same issue of BMJ titled, "Too Much Mammography". But not everyone agreed with these findings.
Two doctor's groups lost their collective minds over Miller's study --- The American College of Radiology (ACR) and the Society of Breast Imaging (SBI). They issued a joint statement accusing Miller and his colleagues of all sorts of underhanded and dirty tricks, as well as using shoddy research techniques and outdated equipment. In a statement issued by Miller that addressed every issue brought up by these two groups, he said that his team's study was undoubtedly "unwelcome to this highly financially conflicted group, but which will be of substantial interest to policy makers in considering the future of screening for breast cancer." Wow! Financial conflict-of-interest in medicine? You don't say. If you have a couple of minutes sometime, breeze through a few of our numerous articles on EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE to get a small taste of what Miller is up against as he takes on this sacred cow. The crazy thing about this research is that like Dr. Wender told us at the very top of the page, it's not really new information.
The November, 2012 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine published a study called, "Effects of Three Decades of Screening Mammography on Breast-Cancer Incidence". What were the conclusions of this thirty year study that looked crunched governmental statistics for the entire United States? Are you sitting down? The authors stated that, "we estimated that breast cancer was overdiagnosed (i.e., tumors were detected on screening that would never have led to clinical symptoms) in 1.3 million U.S. women in the past 30 years. We estimated that in 2008 alone, breast cancer was overdiagnosed in more than 70,000 women; this accounted for 31% of all breast cancers diagnosed. Despite substantial increases in the number of cases of early-stage breast cancer detected, screening mammography has only marginally reduced the rate at which women present with advanced cancer. Although it is not certain which women have been affected, the imbalance suggests that there is substantial overdiagnosis, accounting for nearly a third of all newly diagnosed breast cancers, and that screening is having, at best, only a small effect on the rate of death from breast cancer."
If you get out your calculator and do the math, this study showed a whopping 93% "False Positive" rate. Re-read that and let the magnitude of what it is implying about our current model of diagnosing and treating Breast Cancer sink in for a moment. And the final bite-in-the-butt for those of you keeping score at home is that they did not even include the Breast Cancers that were thought to have been caused by the ongoing HRT (Hormonal Replacement Therapy) fiasco (HERE), which would have made the numbers even worse. But that's not all. This study only dealt with False Positives. What about the "False Negatives"? Listen to what our government's NIH website has to say on this topic. "Assuming an average sensitivity of 80%, mammograms will miss approximately 20% of the breast cancers that are present at the time of screening (false-negatives)". 93% False Positives plus 20% False Negatives adds up to 113% --- an impossibility. Let's just say that the False Positives are over 50% (the government admitted in the quote from the very top of the post that, "most abnormal mammograms are false-positives"). Throw in the False Negatives and the absolute best you could hope for was 30% accuracy. Could be why recent studies are leading some doctors to conclude that women who get regular mammograms have a better chance of dying of Breast Cancer than those who do not get mammograms at all.
Patients who are not aware of this information are sitting ducks to be cajoled into doing things they do not want to do (I spoke of the same thing going on with appendicitis in THIS recent post on CT Scans --- a scenario that happened to our family three years ago). I have included a sample conversation from the average doctor's office to help you understand the situation. PATIENT: But doctor Smith, I really don't want to have that mammogram. I read on the internet that they aren't all they've been cracked up to be. DR. SMITH: I'm sorry Mrs. Jones, but if you don't agree to get the test, you'll have to find another doctor. And really; you should stop putting so much faith in articles you find on the internet. You know you can't trust any of that stuff anyway. Especially if it comes from Dr. Schierling's site. Trust me instead. I'm a doctor. This scenario is playing out all over the United States. The bottom line is that if you are a female who is concerned about Breast Cancer, whether for yourself, your daughters, or grand-daughters, you need to educate yourself. In my humble opinion, the best thing you can do is to stop the process before it starts ---- after all, this is what the word "Prevention" really means.
How do you prevent Breast Cancer? You would prevent it the same way you would try to prevent any Cancer --- or for that matter, practically any disease period (HERE). One of the very first things you need to do is to understand the relationship between Estrogen and Female Cancers. From there you can begin learning about something called "ESTROGEN DOMINANCE". Another important step in this puzzle would be figuring out how to resolve Estrogen Dominance before it begins fueling cellular mutations of the breast (HERE). As always, never take my word for anything. The internet has placed huge amounts of valuable information at your finger tips. Like I stated earlier, knowledge is power. Empower yourself and your family by learning more about Breast Cancer and the ways to stop it dead in its tracks before it ever has a chance to gain a hold in your life.
VIDEO TESTIMONIALS FROM EMPLOYEES
(CHRONIC NECK PAIN)
Tracy started working for me almost five years ago, and Sara filled in for a few months while Tracy was on maternity leave. Rather than me tell you about their experiences, I'll let you hear it straight from their mouths. The really cool thing about these videos is that while they both come from individuals who either work or have worked for me, they also happen to be from individuals who, previous to their employment, were driven to the clinic by CHRONIC NECK PAIN due to severe FASCIAL ADHESIONS of the cervical spine (neck).
TRACY: CHRONIC NECK PAIN & HEADACHES
SARA: CHRONIC NECK PAIN
PUTTING OUT THE FIRE IN YOUR BODY
How do doctors go about treating Inflammation or inflammatory problems / diseases? Mostly they prescribe drugs that cover the symptoms without addressing the underlying cause(s) of those symptoms (inflammation). Very often, the drugs that are used are chosen for their anti-inflammatory effects. If you know anything about this class of drugs, you realize that it can be problematic, with numerous serious side effects (HERE). But what other problems do these drugs present as far as dealing with Chronic Inflammatory Degenerative Diseases are concerned? I'm glad you asked.
WHAT IT TAKES TO SQUELCH THE FIRE
All of this begs the question of how to best go about removing (or at least reducing) excess inflammation from our bodies? True reduction of inflammation and inflammatory processes in your body is not something your doctor can do for you. It's something you are going to have to do on your own. I've broken it down for you into a few easy-to-understand steps; steps that if you follow, you could very well see a huge reduction of your symptoms ---- even if you are dealing with the dreaded MUPS.
- CHANGE YOUR DIET / CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR: You knew it was coming and probably suspected it would be at the top of the list. You were right. Failure to strictly regulate your blood sugar can set off a cascade of health-related problems --- even if you are not yet "officially" Diabetic (HERE). On top of that, you may need to go GLUTEN FREE as well as figuring out it there are foods you might be eating that are driving inflammation (just click the link). If you really want to begin understanding how and what you should be eating, read THESE POSTS.
- DRINK MORE WATER AND DRINK ONLY WATER: WATER will help you put out the fire. I am not opposed to you making an anti-inflammatory tea to drink either. This could be a Green Tea base, with lemon, CINNAMON, Turmeric, Circumin, Ginger, etc, etc, in it. Whatever you do, stay away from the soda --- And please don't be fooled by DIET SODA.
- EAT YOUR VEGGIES: If you spend any amount of time on this site, you'll never mistake me for a vegetarian / vegan (HERE). However, your diet should be based on vegetation. In fact, Dr. David Seaman's RULE OF THUMB as far as reducing inflammation is, "Eat vegetation or animals that ate vegetation". It is important to remember that grain is not vegetation. And finally, remember that even though we talk about FRUITS & VEGETABLES, these should never be used synonymously.
- GET SOME EXERCISE EACH AND EVERY DAY: I get it. There are a few of you reading this post who, for whatever reason, cannot exercise. Key word here; "few". Find something you can do and do it. HERE are some posts you should read prior to getting started. If you've been injured or are struggling with Chronic Pain, THIS POST will have some ideas for you.
- REDUCE STRESS: Some of the bullet points on this list would count as stress reduction. Stress creates ADRENAL FATIGUE, which in and of itself can produce Chronic Pain and weight gain --- both signs of Inflammation. It also leads to a situation known widely as SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE, where the fight-or-flight adrenaline-producing part of your ANS (autonomic nervous system) gets turned up way too high.
- HAVE MORE SEX: It seems that every statistic I see on sexual frequency of married couples is worse (that would be lower) than the one before it. A bit over a decade ago, married couples were intimate on average 132 times per year. Three years ago that number had dropped by about 20%. The latest study I saw was saying it's now 85 times per year. With the collective health of our nation being what it is, I'm not surprised. If you are having problems in this area (or simply wanting to improve things), take a few minutes to read THESE POSTS.
- CLEAR YOUR BODY OF TOXINS: Toxicity comes in many forms, including ESTROGEN, CHEMICALS, METALS, HERBICIDES, MEDICATIONS, etc, etc. Learn what it takes to get this junk out of your body and then do it (HERE). And for those who are interested in an extremely simple and totally free way to both alkalize your body and help rid it of cancer-causing free radicals, take a look at THIS POST.
- UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF GUT HEALTH: 80% of your entire Immune System is found in your digestive tract (HERE). Inflammation is an Immune System response. Until you grasp the significance of the old saying, "heal the gut, heal the body," solving your health issues could prove elusive (HERE). I would suggest that many of you will need to address CHRONIC INFECTIONS, including those being caused by your DENTAL WORK.
- MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WEIGHT: Unless you have some sort of underlying disease process such as a THYROID PROBLEM, ANEMIA, or others, this one will take care of itself if you follow the points in this list. If you are doing all the right things and cannot lose weight, there is something being missed.
For a much more comprehensive on solving your own health issues, make sure to take a look at THIS POST. I would never suggest that it is the solution to everything. However, it has some cool ideas and should provide you a starting point.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration