WEST PLAINS QUILL BUSINESS OF THE MONTH
"Trouble is, flibanserin has side effects that may outweigh its tepid benefits... The drug didn't boost women's desire any more than a placebo in two clinical trials." Deborah Kotz from the June 16, 2010 issue of U.S. News & World Report
"We don’t want attitudes to get in the way of a good drug." A recent statement made by Terry O’Neill, president of NOW.
"We do not believe there has been any gender bias with regard to our review of this drug." FDA Commissioner, Margaret A. Hamburg responding to accusations of sexism in drug approval
According to a 2002 study published in the summer edition of CNS Drug Review (Pharmacology of Flibanserin), Flibanserin works on both Serotonin and Dopamine receptors by increasing Dopamine and Noradrenaline (Norepinephrine) levels, while decreasing Serotonin levels). The paper went on to say that, "Flibanserin displays antidepressant-like activity in most animal models sensitive to antidepressants. Such activity, however, seems qualitatively different from that exerted by other antidepressants." The more recent studies have shown that despite the drug only increasing a woman's ability to have a "satisfying sexual event" by less than one time a month when compared to placebo (.8 to be exact), there are those within the halls of Congress claiming that the FDA is engaging in sexual discrimination with it's denial of this drug.
OK; where's the punch line? There isn't one. In response to rumblings from women's organizations such as the Jewish Women International, the National Council of Women’s Organizations, the Center for Health and Gender Equity, NOW (the National Organization of Women), and others, female members of congress (all democrats --- Chellie Pingree of Maine, Nita Lowey of New York, and Louise Slaughter of New York) led by Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida have taken issue with the fact that while there are over 20 FDA-approved drugs to treat MALE IMPOTENCE, there is nothing out there for women struggling with the female-equivalent ---- something called HSDD (Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder). A problem which, depending on whose research you think is most accurate, might affect anywhere from 10% - 35% of adult American females.
Mark my words, when this drug comes back up for review in a few months, it will be approved. The worst thing that could happen to a person, group, or organization here in America (FDA included), is to be branded as insensitive, intolerant, bigoted, prejudiced, sexist, or homophobic. Were there problems with the drug beyond the fact that it did not "perform" as hoped (no pun intended)? Yes; the drug has side effects (INSOMNIA, nausea, and drowsiness seem to be the biggest). In fact, the issue of sleepiness is large enough that there are currently studies underway to determine if the drug (which, unlike it's male counterparts such as Viagra, is to be taken daily) is safe to take if you drive.
I have a better idea. Why not learn about the underlying causes of both male and female SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION, and work at correcting them. That would seem to make much more sense than merely covering symptoms with a drug whose side effects will not really be known until it is on the market for several years (think Vioxx or Thalidomide here). But then again, history has shown us that making sense is something our government is rarely accused of.
WHY PALEO IS THE BEST DIET FOR
MOST CHRONIC HEALTH CONDITIONS
If you have spent significant time on my website, you may have picked up on the fact that most disease processes start with an inability of people to control their blood sugar ---- regardless of their readings. We shouldn't be surprised. Here in America, we are being buried underneath a mountain of SUGAR. When you spend as much time as I do combing through peer-reviewed literature, you start to see a pattern ---- almost every disease you can name has serious ties to UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR. This is true even for those who do not have full-blown Diabetes (HERE). The Paleo Diet is so effective because nothing is better at helping you control your blood sugar. But that's not all. The Paleo Diet cuts the most potentially reactive foods from your diet so that your Immune System cannot make antibodies against them.
The two most common foods that would fall into the "reactive" category are easy to name. Wheat (GLUTEN) and dairy. For many reasons (HERE are a few of them), today's foods (particularly true of with grains) are very different from the foods that were eaten by our great grandparents. Today, nearly everything is pasteurized, homogenized, GMO'ed, loaded with ANTIBIOTICS and HORMONES; and that's just for starters. The Blood Sugar / Gluten connection has been shown to be an important factor in virtually all AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (HERE is a list), ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, PARKINSON'S DISEASE, NEUROPATHY, MIGRAINE HEADACHES, DEPRESSION, Seizures, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, and a host of other Neuro-degenerative Diseases. If you want to begin understanding how all of this works together, just take a moment to read THIS POST.
Because the Paleo Diet is a vegetation-based diet, it has the ability to provide detox power to your system on a daily basis. The problems related to chemical toxicity as well as ESTROGEN DOMINANCE will be helped by a Paleo Diet just because it provides the raw materials to restore / refurbish the P-450 Cytochrome System (HERE). This is the way that your body gets rid of all chemicals, whether it is DRUGS (pushed or prescribed), Estrogen or synthetic estrogens, MSG, ASPARTAME, pesticides, herbicides, or heaven-only-knows what else.
The cool thing about the Paleo Diet is that it calms down and sometimes c _ _ _ _ (even if it does so, the FDA says that I could never use the word "cures" here) INFLAMMATORY PROCESSES that run rampant throughout the body. As I have contended before, I am not sure that one in a thousand people (many healthcare providers included) really understand what Inflammation is, or its widespread effects on health. Although things like Gluten, Uncontrolled Blood Sugar, TRANS FATS, and a whole host of others may get the credit, they do their dirty work via the process we call Inflammation. If you are chronically ill, chronically sick, or chronically OVERWEIGHT, you need to understand Inflammation.
I hear person after person tell me that they can't get healthy because they are too sick (or fat) to exercise. Forget the exercise for now. Health is probably at least 90% diet. Start eating the right way and watch your health dramatically improve --- even without exercise! If you want to get a better picture of the way that Gluten and Blood Sugar are related to sickness and disease in general, just follow THIS LINK.
CAUSES AND SOLUTIONS
"The management of de Quervain’s disease is determined more by convention than scientific data. From the original description of the illness in 1895 until the first description of corticosteroid injection by Jarrod Ismond in 1955, it appears that the only treatment offered was surgery. Since approximately 1972 the prevailing opinion has been that of McKenzie who suggested that corticosteroid injection was the first line of treatment and surgery should be reserved for unsuccessful injections. A systematic review and meta-analysis published in 2013 found that corticosteroid injection seems to be an effective form of conservative management of de Quervain's syndrome in approximately 50% of patients, although more research is needed regarding the extent of any [long term] clinical benefits." - Wikipedia, quoting from half a dozen scientific studies (1955 to 2013) from peer-reviewed journals.
- Pain at the Thumb Side of the Wrist
- Tenderness to the Touch in the Same Area
- Swelling Over the Thumb Side of the Wrist
- Difficulty Gripping Things or Opposing your Thumb (Pinching)
Even more interesting is that the two forms of treatment that the peer-reviewed literature discuss the most for DeQuervain's Syndrome (CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS and Surgery) are not any too effective. Case in point: just re-read the quote at the top of the page. Likewise, the same scientific literature considers NSAIDS to be 'palliative' as opposed to therapeutic (they have the potential to help you feel better, but do nothing to actually help you get better). In looking at the studies concerning treatment for DeQuervin's Syndrome, you will see lists of other treatment methods (besides Corticosteroid Injections or Surgery) that one might use to deal this this problem, and call them "experimental" (COLD LASER THERAPY is on this list). But then again, what can you expect from EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE. As you may have noticed, drugs and surgery rule the day --- it's where the biggest money is. As we already learned from the quote at the top of the page; just like so many other health problems (HERE), treatment protocols are determined not by "scientific data" but instead by "convention" (tradition). GREAT RESULTS cannot be faked!
I would suggest that if you think you think you might have this problem, take a long look at my site's DeQUERVAIN'S SYNDROME PAGE. I promise that you'll learn far more than your doctor ever thought about telling you (including information on making the diagnosis yourself ---- it takes all of two seconds).
RIB PAIN / CHEST PAIN / RIB TISSUE PAIN
"Rib tissues can be injured in a variety of ways. Coughing and sneezing are a couple of common ones. Throwing is also a fairly common way to injure these tissues (especially throwing something really heavy like a chunk of firewood). As you can imagine, rib injuries are common in sports. Not only are they found in contact sports like football, but they are also found frequently in baseball, softball, and even golf (swinging a bat or golf club can tear rib tissues and put even the “heavy hitters” on the D.L.)." - Doctor Russell Schierling from Destroy Chronic Pain
About three years ago, Bryana was rock climbing and rappelling. She fell, swung outward, and crashed back into a hunk of rock jutting out from the face, hitting her chest / ribs in the process. Over the course of the past few years, Bryana has been through every test you can imagine (many of them multiple times) and seen a wide variety of specialists. When nothing showed up on tests, it was believed that her problem might be cardiac (despite the fact that she was barely out of junior high school). Yes, she was dragged through all sorts of cardiac tests, which were all negative.
CHRONIC RIB TISSUE PAIN: CAUSES AND SOLUTIONS
- INFLAMMATION: Any time you hear the word "itis" you need to realize that you are dealing with a physical problem based on INFLAMMATION. In fact, when it comes to causes of chronic rib pain, Inflammation is a common one. Take, for instance, Costochondritis. Costochondritis (costo / chondr / itis --- cost = ribs, chondro = cartilage, and itis = inflammation) would mean you are dealing with an inflammation of the rib cartilages --- an extremely painful and miserable condition. Other than the standard fare of NSAIDS, there a couple of extremely effective things you can do for this particular problem. The first is to DRAMATICALLY CHANGING YOUR DIET. The second would be LOW LEVEL LASER THERAPY.
- DEPRESSION / STRESS / ANXIETY: I included this one simply because so many people with chest pain or pain in the area of the rib cage are told that their problem is stress. Don't get me wrong; I very much realize that stress can be a serious problem (HERE is a wild example). However, it can and frequently does become an easy scape-goat. The same thing can be said about DEPRESSION and anxiety, which are both considered to be "Inflammatory".
- CARDIOVASCULAR PROBLEMS: This is one that cannot be discounted or overlooked. Having a diminished blood flow to the heart can cause chest pains in the form of angina or even a heart attack. Bear in mind that in many cases, Heart Attacks get undue credit for causing chest or rib pain (HERE is one such example).
- RIB FRACTURES: If you are having spontaneous rib fractures from things like twisting or coughing, you have a serious issue on your hands in the form of OSTEOPOROSIS or a similar systemic disease process.
- RIB SUBLUXATION: SUBLUXATION is the chiropractic term used to describe bones that are not completely dislocated, but are not lined up correctly in relationship to each other (understand that the medical community uses the terms subluxation and dislocation synonymously). Typically, if a rib is "out of place" you will have pain when you cough, sneeze, or breathe. Although rib problems are not 'dangerous' in the sense that a Herniated Disc can be, they can be exquisitely painful to the point of making you think you are dying.
- TEARS OR ADHESIONS OF THE RIB FASCIA: Although this is not one you will find on the "Top Ten" lists of rib pain for popular medical sites like Web MD or Mayo Clinic, it is a major cause of rib or chest pain that can range from mild to SEVERE / DEBILITATING (click on link for a rib pain video from another young woman who was told her rib pain was cardiac-related).
Part of the problem is that most doctors don't really seem to grasp the importance of FASCIA or understand how it can so frequently wind up involved in various CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES. Throw in the fact that fascia is not easily imaged with MRI and you create the environment for unleashing CHRONIC PAIN'S "PERFECT STORM". Fortunately, our protocols for detecting and treating SCARED CONNECTIVE TISSUES are, in the majority of cases, quite effective at getting to the bottom of things, finding the causes of Chronic Pain, and dealing with them in a timely manner. To see how effective, take a look at some of our hundreds of VIDEO TESTIMONIALS.
HEADACHE OR SKULL PAIN...
IS THERE REALLY A DIFFERENCE?
I have a pain on my skull or scalp, which is slightly worse if pressure is applied. It is the same sensation that I used to get as a child when I had my hair pulled back into a pony tail, but I haven't worn my hair like that for about 15 years now. It's a patch on the top right of my skull/scalp. Does anyone have any idea what this is? - Franniesh from Wellshpere
FASCIA is the thin, cellophane-like membrane that surrounds all muscles, nerves, blood vessels, and bones (it goes by different names depending on the tissue it surrounds). Part of what makes Fascia so unique is that it is not only the most abundant CONNECTIVE TISSUE in the body, it is arguably the single most pain-sensitive tissue in the body as well. Just like other soft tissues, Fascia has the potential to be injured and form MICROSCOPIC SCAR TISSUE. Add to this the fact that Fascia is so thin that it cannot be properly imaged with even the most technologically advanced imaging techniques (CT / MRI), and you can see the potential of being swept away by CHRONIC PAIN'S PERFECT STORM.
CUT-AWAY IMAGES OF THE HAIRLINE ON TOP OF THE SKULL
The arrows in the images are pointing to the Galea Aponeurotica, which is also known as the Epicranial Aponeurosis (the thin layer of Fascia that surrounds the skull). This is extremely pain-sensitive tissue and can become "TETHERED" when injured.
While in his early teen years, he developed "Skull Pain" a few months after a fairly serious injury to his face (a broken zygomatic arch) and subsequent surgery. Over the course of 5 years, Joe had been to all sorts of doctors (many psychiatrists and neurologists), a plethora of tests, and taken a large array of drugs --- many being "psych" drugs and meds from THE BIG FIVE. He even ended up working on a farm for 6 months as part of a program developed to help people thought to be dealing with Psycho-Somatic illnesses (i.e. --- problems that the experts believe are all in their head). Finally, another neurologist ran a SPECT SCAN and told the family that Joe had no signs of mental illness or organic disease process in his brain --- something he had been trying to convince them of for years.
I told Joe that while ONE TREATMENT would probably not be enough to completely solve his problem, he would know whether or not our approach would help him. He had Fascial Adhesions all over his head, neck, and face that were so bad, you could hear them 'CREAKING' as he moved. I broke the adhesions (different than craniosacral techniques), and the difference was immediate and significant (I will warn you that he looked like he had been at least a couple rounds with Mike Tyson --- HERE). I received this email a few days later.
Dr. Schierling, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with this. For all the things I've tried over the past 5 years, this is the only thing that has helped -- so it gives me a hope that I did not have before. I do feel different after the work you did. I can't say it is 100% gone, but the fact that it is improved is all I've been looking for. Thank you again and I will let you know how things go.
"Dear Dr. Schierling, I wanted to thank you for helping my son 'Joe'. In the past few years Joe had seen numerous doctors, had several brain scans and was given all types of medications. We spent thousands and thousands of dollars, all this to try to find some relief, yet nothing seemed to help him. He planned his trip without me knowing, and called me after he returned to tell me all about it. He spoke so highly of you. He said you were the only doctor that really understood him. He found relief with your treatment. Thank you for giving him hope and for being so kind. I hope he will be able to visit you again soon. With warm regards, Joe's Mom."
I can't remember if I saw Joe one more time or two, but regardless, as I was working early as is my habit (I'm usually writing / studying by 4:00 am, before starting with patients at 8:30); as the sun started coming up I noticed a car in the parking lot, with someone asleep behind the wheel.
DOES MAMMOGRAPHY SAVE LIVES?
LET'S LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE
FALSE POSITIVE: Tests that that show you have a certain disease or health problem, even though you do not have said disease or problem (or the problem is so non-invasive that it would never be an issue in your natural lifetime).
FALSE NEGATIVE: A test that fails to pick up the fact that you actually do have a certain disease or problem.
OVERDIAGNOSIS: Usually based on incorrect presumptions or "False Positive" tests. You are officially diagnosed with a disease or health problem you either do not have or is not aggressive enough to ever progress to overt symptoms.
OVERTREATMENT: Based on "Overdiagnosis". You are now actually treated for a disease or health problem you do not have or will never become a problem in your natural lifetime.
DEATH: The latest studies on this topic as it pertains to Breast Cancer and Mammograms are revealing that women who get regular mammograms have no less chance (some say they increase your chances) of dying of Breast Cancer than women who get no mammograms at all.
"Even with a specificity of 90%, most abnormal mammograms are false-positives. .....most of those cancers would probably not result in illness or death. Treatment of these cancers would constitute overtreatment. The magnitude of overdiagnosis due to mammographic screening is controversial, with estimates ranging from 0% to 54%.... It may be estimated that [due to excessive amounts of radiation] up to one breast cancer may be induced per 1,000 women aged 40 to 80 years undergoing annual mammograms." - From the National Institutes of Health's (National Cancer Institute) guidelines.
"In September 2010, the New England Journal of Medicine, one of the most prestigious medical journals, published the first study in years to examine the effectiveness of mammograms. Their findings are a far cry from what most public health officials would have you believe. The bottom line is that mammograms seem to have reduced cancer death rates by only 0.4 deaths per 1,000 women --- an amount so small it might as well be zero. Put another way, 2,500 women would have to be screened over 10 years for a single breast cancer death to be avoided." -Dr. Joseph Mercola
"This latest publication is just a longer-term follow-up of a study that was completed over a decade ago, so the fact that they did not find a benefit from mammograms is not new." - Richard Wender, MD: Professor and Chair of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.
- OSTEOPOROSIS DRUGS PREVENT FRACTURES: The truth is, Osteoporosis Drugs cause fractures. I have been warning people of this fact for over a decade (HERE). Fortunately, the powers that be are starting to admit this on a small level.
- HIGH CHOLESTEROL IS THE CHIEF CAUSE OF HEART ATTACKS: The underlying culprit in the vast majority of Heart Disease is INFLAMMATION and not CHOLESTEROL. This is one of the reasons why you do not want to be on STATIN DRUGS.
- VACCINES ARE SAFE: Whether we are talking about FLU SHOTS or VACCINES in general, they are anything but safe. Sure they prevent acute diseases. The problem is, here in America we have been trading acute illnesses for chronic, long-term NEURO-DEGENERATIVE DISEASES, AUTISM, AUTOIMMUNITY, CANCER, and ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS, for decades.
- DOCTORS DON'T PERFORM TESTS OR PRESCRIBE DRUGS THAT YOU DON'T ACTUALLY NEED: Really? Although I could show you dozens upon dozens of examples, just look at these two topics and try and convince me otherwise (HERE & HERE).
- ANTIBIOTICS KEEP OUR NATION HEALTHY: Although ANTIBIOTICS undoubtedly have the ability to save lives, their overuse has been a major causal factor in POOR GUT HEALTH (including LEAKY GUT SYNDROME and IBS) as well as a whole host of AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES and DYSBIOSIS.
- AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE DIABETES, MY BLOOD SUGAR IS FINE: HERE and HERE are solid proof that "Uncontrolled Blood Sugar" (even if your numbers are in the 'normal' range) is one of our nation's foundational health problems.
- ANTI-DEPRESSION DRUGS ARE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE: Because so many of you reading this post are on ANTI-DEPRESSION DRUGS, it would behoove you to click on the link and spend just a little bit of time reading before accusing me of speaking out of turn.
- ANNUAL PHYSICALS ARE A CRITICAL PART OF GOOD HEALTH: This is simply not true. Why not? Because of something you are going to learn a great deal about today ---- way too much over-treatment due to "False Positives". More on this topic to come.
- EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO PRACTICE MEDICINE: EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE is the way doctors are currently forced to practice medicine by our bureaucracy-loving government. If you believe that this is improving your quality of care, you may want to click on the link.
Here's the thing folks; I could have included dozens of other examples of medical myths and sacred cows. If you want to read more about them, they're all over my site. But time is short. We need to get back to our question at hand. Is mammography a life saving diagnostic tool that leads to early detection of BREAST CANCER, and ultimately saves women's lives, or is it not? Let's cut straight to the chase.
- Routine mammograms should begin at age 50 instead of 40. They should also end at age 74.
- Women should receive a mammogram every other year instead of every year.
- Based on the most current peer-reviewed scientific literature, self-examination of the breasts (something that has been heavily promoted for decades) has little or no value.
According to a study published in this month's issue of BMJ (The British Medical Journal), Canadian researchers who started following a group of almost 90,000 women 25 years ago have come to some interesting conclusions concerning mammography and Breast Cancer. The women were divided into two groups ---- those who had annual mammography and those who had no mammography at all. Listen to the author's conclusions at the end of the 25 years. "Annual mammography in women aged 40-59 does not reduce mortality from breast cancer beyond that of physical examination or usual care when adjuvant therapy [chemo / radiation] for breast cancer is freely available. Overall, 22% (106/484) of screen detected invasive breast cancers were over-diagnosed...." The study's lead author, Dr. Anthony B. Miller (M.D.), Professor Emeritus of the University of Toronto's School of Public Health clarified what they meant by going on to say that, "At the end of the screening period, an excess of 142 breast cancers occurred in the mammography arm compared with the control arm.... This implies that 22% (106 of 484) of the screen-detected cancers in the mammography arm were overdiagnosed".
In simple English, this means that 22% of those diagnosed with CANCER did not actually have Cancer. I would assume that most, if not all of these women then fell into the category of "Overtreated" In fact, there were researchers from around the world (Dr. Mette Kalager, MD, of the University of Oslo in Norway was one of the most renowned) who looked at the study and said that since the type of Breast Cancer called "ductal carcinoma in situ" that accounts for 25% of all Breast Cancers was not included in the study, the numbers would actually be worse than Miller's group determined --- significantly worse. Gulp. Dr. Kalager's team published an editorial in the same issue of BMJ titled, "Too Much Mammography". But not everyone agreed with these findings.
Two doctor's groups lost their collective minds over Miller's study --- The American College of Radiology (ACR) and the Society of Breast Imaging (SBI). They issued a joint statement accusing Miller and his colleagues of all sorts of underhanded and dirty tricks, as well as using shoddy research techniques and outdated equipment. In a statement issued by Miller that addressed every issue brought up by these two groups, he said that his team's study was undoubtedly "unwelcome to this highly financially conflicted group, but which will be of substantial interest to policy makers in considering the future of screening for breast cancer." Wow! Financial conflict-of-interest in medicine? You don't say. If you have a couple of minutes sometime, breeze through a few of our numerous articles on EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE to get a small taste of what Miller is up against as he takes on this sacred cow. The crazy thing about this research is that like Dr. Wender told us at the very top of the page, it's not really new information.
The November, 2012 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine published a study called, "Effects of Three Decades of Screening Mammography on Breast-Cancer Incidence". What were the conclusions of this thirty year study that looked crunched governmental statistics for the entire United States? Are you sitting down? The authors stated that, "we estimated that breast cancer was overdiagnosed (i.e., tumors were detected on screening that would never have led to clinical symptoms) in 1.3 million U.S. women in the past 30 years. We estimated that in 2008 alone, breast cancer was overdiagnosed in more than 70,000 women; this accounted for 31% of all breast cancers diagnosed. Despite substantial increases in the number of cases of early-stage breast cancer detected, screening mammography has only marginally reduced the rate at which women present with advanced cancer. Although it is not certain which women have been affected, the imbalance suggests that there is substantial overdiagnosis, accounting for nearly a third of all newly diagnosed breast cancers, and that screening is having, at best, only a small effect on the rate of death from breast cancer."
If you get out your calculator and do the math, this study showed a whopping 93% "False Positive" rate. Re-read that and let the magnitude of what it is implying about our current model of diagnosing and treating Breast Cancer sink in for a moment. And the final bite-in-the-butt for those of you keeping score at home is that they did not even include the Breast Cancers that were thought to have been caused by the ongoing HRT (Hormonal Replacement Therapy) fiasco (HERE), which would have made the numbers even worse. But that's not all. This study only dealt with False Positives. What about the "False Negatives"? Listen to what our government's NIH website has to say on this topic. "Assuming an average sensitivity of 80%, mammograms will miss approximately 20% of the breast cancers that are present at the time of screening (false-negatives)". 93% False Positives plus 20% False Negatives adds up to 113% --- an impossibility. Let's just say that the False Positives are over 50% (the government admitted in the quote from the very top of the post that, "most abnormal mammograms are false-positives"). Throw in the False Negatives and the absolute best you could hope for was 30% accuracy. Could be why recent studies are leading some doctors to conclude that women who get regular mammograms have a better chance of dying of Breast Cancer than those who do not get mammograms at all.
Patients who are not aware of this information are sitting ducks to be cajoled into doing things they do not want to do (I spoke of the same thing going on with appendicitis in THIS recent post on CT Scans --- a scenario that happened to our family three years ago). I have included a sample conversation from the average doctor's office to help you understand the situation. PATIENT: But doctor Smith, I really don't want to have that mammogram. I read on the internet that they aren't all they've been cracked up to be. DR. SMITH: I'm sorry Mrs. Jones, but if you don't agree to get the test, you'll have to find another doctor. And really; you should stop putting so much faith in articles you find on the internet. You know you can't trust any of that stuff anyway. Especially if it comes from Dr. Schierling's site. Trust me instead. I'm a doctor. This scenario is playing out all over the United States. The bottom line is that if you are a female who is concerned about Breast Cancer, whether for yourself, your daughters, or grand-daughters, you need to educate yourself. In my humble opinion, the best thing you can do is to stop the process before it starts ---- after all, this is what the word "Prevention" really means.
How do you prevent Breast Cancer? You would prevent it the same way you would try to prevent any Cancer --- or for that matter, practically any disease period (HERE). One of the very first things you need to do is to understand the relationship between Estrogen and Female Cancers. From there you can begin learning about something called "ESTROGEN DOMINANCE". Another important step in this puzzle would be figuring out how to resolve Estrogen Dominance before it begins fueling cellular mutations of the breast (HERE). As always, never take my word for anything. The internet has placed huge amounts of valuable information at your finger tips. Like I stated earlier, knowledge is power. Empower yourself and your family by learning more about Breast Cancer and the ways to stop it dead in its tracks before it ever has a chance to gain a hold in your life.
VIDEO TESTIMONIALS FROM EMPLOYEES
(CHRONIC NECK PAIN)
Tracy started working for me almost five years ago, and Sara filled in for a few months while Tracy was on maternity leave. Rather than me tell you about their experiences, I'll let you hear it straight from their mouths. The really cool thing about these videos is that while they both come from individuals who either work or have worked for me, they also happen to be from individuals who, previous to their employment, were driven to the clinic by CHRONIC NECK PAIN due to severe FASCIAL ADHESIONS of the cervical spine (neck).
TRACY: CHRONIC NECK PAIN & HEADACHES
SARA: CHRONIC NECK PAIN
PUTTING OUT THE FIRE IN YOUR BODY
How do doctors go about treating Inflammation or inflammatory problems / diseases? Mostly they prescribe drugs that cover the symptoms without addressing the underlying cause(s) of those symptoms (inflammation). Very often, the drugs that are used are chosen for their anti-inflammatory effects. If you know anything about this class of drugs, you realize that it can be problematic, with numerous serious side effects (HERE). But what other problems do these drugs present as far as dealing with Chronic Inflammatory Degenerative Diseases are concerned? I'm glad you asked.
WHAT IT TAKES TO SQUELCH THE FIRE
All of this begs the question of how to best go about removing (or at least reducing) excess inflammation from our bodies? True reduction of inflammation and inflammatory processes in your body is not something your doctor can do for you. It's something you are going to have to do on your own. I've broken it down for you into a few easy-to-understand steps; steps that if you follow, you could very well see a huge reduction of your symptoms ---- even if you are dealing with the dreaded MUPS.
- CHANGE YOUR DIET / CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR: You knew it was coming and probably suspected it would be at the top of the list. You were right. Failure to strictly regulate your blood sugar can set off a cascade of health-related problems --- even if you are not yet "officially" Diabetic (HERE). On top of that, you may need to go GLUTEN FREE as well as figuring out it there are foods you might be eating that are driving inflammation (just click the link). If you really want to begin understanding how and what you should be eating, read THESE POSTS.
- DRINK MORE WATER AND DRINK ONLY WATER: WATER will help you put out the fire. I am not opposed to you making an anti-inflammatory tea to drink either. This could be a Green Tea base, with lemon, CINNAMON, Turmeric, Circumin, Ginger, etc, etc, in it. Whatever you do, stay away from the soda --- And please don't be fooled by DIET SODA.
- EAT YOUR VEGGIES: If you spend any amount of time on this site, you'll never mistake me for a vegetarian / vegan (HERE). However, your diet should be based on vegetation. In fact, Dr. David Seaman's RULE OF THUMB as far as reducing inflammation is, "Eat vegetation or animals that ate vegetation". It is important to remember that grain is not vegetation. And finally, remember that even though we talk about FRUITS & VEGETABLES, these should never be used synonymously.
- GET SOME EXERCISE EACH AND EVERY DAY: I get it. There are a few of you reading this post who, for whatever reason, cannot exercise. Key word here; "few". Find something you can do and do it. HERE are some posts you should read prior to getting started. If you've been injured or are struggling with Chronic Pain, THIS POST will have some ideas for you.
- REDUCE STRESS: Some of the bullet points on this list would count as stress reduction. Stress creates ADRENAL FATIGUE, which in and of itself can produce Chronic Pain and weight gain --- both signs of Inflammation. It also leads to a situation known widely as SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE, where the fight-or-flight adrenaline-producing part of your ANS (autonomic nervous system) gets turned up way too high.
- HAVE MORE SEX: It seems that every statistic I see on sexual frequency of married couples is worse (that would be lower) than the one before it. A bit over a decade ago, married couples were intimate on average 132 times per year. Three years ago that number had dropped by about 20%. The latest study I saw was saying it's now 85 times per year. With the collective health of our nation being what it is, I'm not surprised. If you are having problems in this area (or simply wanting to improve things), take a few minutes to read THESE POSTS.
- CLEAR YOUR BODY OF TOXINS: Toxicity comes in many forms, including ESTROGEN, CHEMICALS, METALS, HERBICIDES, MEDICATIONS, etc, etc. Learn what it takes to get this junk out of your body and then do it (HERE). And for those who are interested in an extremely simple and totally free way to both alkalize your body and help rid it of cancer-causing free radicals, take a look at THIS POST.
- UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF GUT HEALTH: 80% of your entire Immune System is found in your digestive tract (HERE). Inflammation is an Immune System response. Until you grasp the significance of the old saying, "heal the gut, heal the body," solving your health issues could prove elusive (HERE). I would suggest that many of you will need to address CHRONIC INFECTIONS, including those being caused by your DENTAL WORK.
- MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WEIGHT: Unless you have some sort of underlying disease process such as a THYROID PROBLEM, ANEMIA, or others, this one will take care of itself if you follow the points in this list. If you are doing all the right things and cannot lose weight, there is something being missed.
For a much more comprehensive on solving your own health issues, make sure to take a look at THIS POST. I would never suggest that it is the solution to everything. However, it has some cool ideas and should provide you a starting point.
IMAGING THE PIRIFORMIS
THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME
Scar Tissue Regular muscle fibers run parallel to each other in a neat, orderly route. When scar tissue forms, it is a knotty, tangled and twisted mess, which is where pain may occur. When connective tissue is injured, the nerve tissue in that surrounding area is injured as well. When nerve tissue is damaged, it reacts by growing smaller, immature nerve branches, which the DOCTOR SCHIERLING WEBSITE explains are up to 1,000 times more pain sensitive than normal tissue. The scar tissue forms as a protective measure that will avoid overstretching the muscle, which is sometimes how the injury may have originally occurred. Therefore, stretching of scar tissue can also be very painful. An August 2013 article on Livestrong called Does Muscle Scar Tissue Cause Pain During Exercise?
Much of this has to do that despite the most current evidence saying that Piriformis Syndrome is America's number one reason for SCIATICA (leg pain), we have huge numbers of websites and studies still touting outdated information from the past. For instance, if you take a moment to look at the National Institute of Health's (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) article called, "Low Back Pain Fact Sheet", they do not as much as once mention Piriformis Syndrome in their list of things that cause low back pain, even though they mention just about everything else. With Piriformis Syndrome, this seems to be pretty much par for the course.
In the first place, although the Washington University study mentions DISC HERNIATIONS and LUMBAR SPINAL STENOSIS (another problem that along with PS, is not mentioned by the NIH article from the first paragraph) as problems that can mimic Piriformis Syndrome (HERE or HERE), we must proceed with caution because Disc Herniations can lead us down a slippery slope --- a very SLIPPERY SLOPE. This is because of the prevalence in the general population of something called "ASYMPTOMATIC DISC HERNIATIONS". For those of you riding the MEDICAL MERRY-GO ROUND, it might also seem like a relief of sorts when the doctor finally tells you that they have found out what is causing your pain. Usually a Herniated Disc. The problem is, depending on whose study you choose to believe, anywhere from about 40% to almost 80% of the 'pain free' adult American population is walking around with Disc Herniations which are visible on MRI or CT SCANS ---- even though there is no pain or overt symptoms present. As you might imagine, this can make it very difficult to ascertain whether or not your pain is coming from the disc or not.
- GET A HANDLE ON INFLAMMATION: Although your problem may not be related to INFLAMMATION, it very well might be. Inflammation might merely be a minor factor, or it could be causal. Regardless, Inflammation is at the bottom of lots and lots of chronic pain and illness. Click on the link to see what you should do about this problem.
- LOSE THE EXCESS WEIGHT: Extra weight, whether it's a few extra pounds or outright OBESITY can present a significant problem as far as almost any health-related function is concerned. For tips on WEIGHT LOSS, just click the links.
- TRY CONSERVATIVE METHODS FIRST: Before you even think about some sort of surgery (whether it's a disc surgery or Piriformis Release Surgery), try conservative methods first. These would include things like CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS, SCAR TISSUE REMODELING, COLD LASER THERAPY or even SPINAL DECOMPRESSION THERAPY. Just remember that Spinal Decompression Therapy is typically going to make Piriformis Syndrome worse. These things might not work, but with the poor success rates of some of these surgeries, wouldn't it make sense to find out?
CURRENT RIVER, MISSOURI
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PART OF THE OZARKS!
"Rivers, being what they are, like fickle women, can change their ways ever so subtly..." From 1959's Vanishing Ozarks.
As many of you may know, the Park Service is once again trying to push the Jon Boats off the river (HERE). I have no doubt that one day they will achieve their goal. My best guess is that this time around they will gain a little bit more, but not get everything they asked for (they will probably outlaw 25's above Round Springs --- a serious blow to the giggers). This means that it won't be long before they'll be coming back for more. That's how it works. Chip away a little at a time until there's nothing left but government regulations. This is sad for many reasons. For one thing, no one --- and I do mean no one ---- takes better care of this river than those who grew up here, live here, and use it on a regular basis. I couldn't even begin to guess how much trash we've personally hauled out of the river or how many capsized drunks clinging to rootwads we've pulled to safety (rootwads are the trees and root systems you'll see many of in the video), and then turned around and salvaged their canoes and gear. We've even hauled them downriver for medical attention (stitches, broken bones, and the like). It's no secret that at certain times of the year, insane amounts of alcohol and drugs can turn portions of the river into a free-for-all. That's why we avoid those parts of the river.
If we are out on a Saturday, we almost always put in at the Chilton Creek boat ramp (just above Waymeyer and just below Pin Oak) in order to avoid the most heavily trafficked 10 miles of the lower Current (Waymeyer to Big Springs). Why might you ask? Let me put it to you this way; there's good reason you never see church groups using that part of the river on weekends. In fact, the problem has been so pervasive that you can tell that summer has arrived when you start to see the seasonal billboards springing up along I-44 north to Saint Louis (Trouble on the River? Call 1- 800- JAIL BREAK to Speak with One of the Attorneys at Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe).
By the way, while the video itself is excellent, the title of the documentary, "Vanishing Ozarks" is sort of a misnomer. This is not a video about the Ozarks 'vanishing' because people are somehow over-using the rivers. In fact, the point of the movie was to show the public that our area could handle far more tourists than it was currently handling. It was essentially a video promoting the creation of the 'Monument' (their word, not mine), and the way the Ozarks improved after the great logging operations of the late 1800's and subsistence living of the Depression Era left some of it in rough shape. Isn't it interesting how the same group of people who were saying there were not enough people using the river 50 years ago, are saying there are too many using it now?
GROWING UP ON CURRENT RIVER
MALACHI AND MICHAELA HAMMING IT UP ON A ROOTWAD
MICHAELA KAYAKING WITH BOBUS
HAULING OUR KAYAKS PAST MILL CREEK
SHOULDER & ELBOW PROBLEMS
AND TISSUE REMODELING
WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTHCARE
WHAT DOES "GREEN" REALLY MEAN?
Although there are legions of companies with various forms of the words "green" and "health" in their names, I'm not sure anyone really agrees on what it really means. I found an article on San Francisco's 'Green Pharmacy' program, requiring safe disposal of old or unused meds. An East Coast hospital had a small "organic garden" on one of its terraces. One website claimed that since Vermont was seeking to implement a single-payer system for their state-run healthcare, it was "green", while another (treehugger dot com) talked about the fact that since 99% of our nation's hospital facilitates are not green, rebuilding or refurbishing them could literally, "save billions of dollars". Not sure if this is true or not true, when you consider how long the payback would take if implemented. The government is even in on the act with several articles by the EPA and others on what it takes to go green.
When I think of green, I tend to think more along the lines of sustainability. This begs the question: Is our nation's current healthcare system SUSTAINABLE, and if not, are the 'fixes' going to make it better? Are you joking me? Rather than me trying to answer that for you, I would challenge you to sit down and ask a doctor or other healthcare provider this question. If you know very many doctors, you'll know how overwhelmed they are by bureaucracy, red tape, and paperwork --- quantum amounts of paperwork (HERE IS A RECENT STUDY ON THE TOPIC). And with ICD-10 and the implementation of the ACA, it's about to get worse --- much worse. Recent polls have indicated that if retirement were an option, over fifty percent of America's practicing physicians would take it in a New York minute. Sound sustainable to you? Throw in our country's infatuation with EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE and you have a classic recipe for failure.
FIXING PEOPLE WITH CHRONIC HEADACHES
Over 45 million Americans (about one in six) suffer chronic headaches each year. The cost of these headaches in absenteeism and medical expenses is estimated as high as $50 billion per year. -Discovery Health (Why Do We Get Headaches?). This next quote comes from The Migraine Research Foundation's Migraine Fact Sheet. Nearly 1 in 4 U.S. households includes someone with migraine (about 18% of American women). Migraine ranks in the top 20 of the world's most disabling medical illnesses, with about 14 million Americans having chronic daily headache. More than 90% of sufferers are unable to work or function normally during their migraine.
Sandy had an incredible restriction of motion in her neck --- something that I find almost universally in non-metabolic headaches (headaches related to GLUTEN, BLOOD SUGAR, MSG / ASPARTAME, ESTROGEN DOMINANCE) and a whole host of others). When I walked into the treatment room Friday and asked Sandy how she had done with the treatment I had given her three weeks earlier (her first), she told me that she was 99% improved. I told her that our Visual Analog Scale could only do increments of 10 (90% or 100%). Either way you slice it, this is some serious improvement! To read more about CHRONIC NECK PAIN and / or CHRONIC HEADACHES, simply click the links. You will find numerous VIDEO TESTIMONIALS as well.
GUT BACTERIA AND HEALTH
IS THERE A RELATIONSHIP?
Last month's issue of The Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology published a study called, "Effects of Multispecies Probiotics on Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial." Patients with IBS were divided into two groups. One group got a Multi-Species Probiotic (more on this momentarily) and the other group got a placebo. Neither the doctor giving the pill, nor the patient taking the pill knew who was getting what (that's what makes it "double blinded"). Improvement was determined both by symptom survey (subjective findings) as well as microanalyses of a stool sample (objective findings). The results were rather amazing.
After only four weeks, the patients were analyzed. Nearly 70% of the experimental group (the group given the Multi-Species Probiotics) got better as far as the amount of pain they reported, gas, bloating, stool frequency, and stool consistency. The authors concluded that, "Multispecies probiotics are effective in IBS patients and induce the alterations in the composition of intestinal microbiota." The thing you need to take away from this study is that the probiotics given were not simply a single-strain product such as Acidophilus, or a double-strain product such as Acidophlus with Bifidus or Lactobacillus. The Probiotic used ---- like the product we use here in the office, is a "Multi-Strain Probiotic". We use an HSO PRODUCT that contains approximately 20 of the most common bacteria found in organic soil. Here's the thing though. These results could have been 100% or nearly so by adding a few simple steps to their "Probiotic Protocol". This protocol will help most people with any Autoimmune or Inflammatory Disease.
- DO NOT TAKE ANTIBIOTICS UNLESS YOU ARE DYING: What do you think causes the imbalance of good bacteria to bad bacteria in the Gut (DYSBIOSIS) in the first place? That's right, ANTIBIOTICS. Antibiotics are a DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD that I would contend are doing every bit as much harm as they are doing good (probably more). When doctors prescribe Antibiotics for things like COUGHS & CONGESTION, COLDS, FLU, UPPER-RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS, SINUS INFECTIONS, EAR INFECTIONS, etc, etc, etc, they are not only practicing decades behind the current peer-reviewed scientific literature, they are not even following their own profession's stated (written) Standards of Care. If you are worried about a sick child, please read THIS short paperback.
- CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR: Although Antibiotics are the cause of Dysbiosis, SUGAR is what feeds it. In fact if you Google things like "Sugar Feeds Infection", "Sugar Feeds Dysbiosis", or even "SUGAR FEEDS CANCER", you'll get a jillion hits. Just remember that UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR is the crumbling foundation of nearly all disease processes.
- GET GLUTEN OUT OF YOUR LIFE: The relationship between GLUTEN and IBS is nearly ubiquitous, as is the relationship between Gluten and LEAKY GUT SYNDROME. HERE is the best way to go Gluten Free. I recommend eating a PALEO DIET to both control Blood Sugar and get Gluten out of your life.
AMERICAN CANCER RATES SET TO EXPLODE
"We cannot treat our way out of the cancer problem." - Dr. Christopher Wild, director of the International Agency for Research on Cancer, as recently told to CNN.
HOW SOON CAN I START
EXERCISING AFTER TREATMENT?
"Most soft tissue injuries take a few weeks to heal, depending on the severity of the sprain or strain, and the general health of the person. It is important to get the correct treatment as soon after the injury as possible to help rapid recovery." The Better Health Channel's article on Sprains and Strains. If your problem were merely a 'sprain / strain' you would not be reading this article.
When muscles shorten (contract), it gives you the ability to move. Typically, the more often or the more intense the muscle contractions, the greater the potential movement (I say 'potential' because with isometrics, you contract the muscles without movement taking place). Many of the people I deal with on a day-to-day basis are dealing with long-standing problems (just look at some VIDEO TESTIMONIALS to see what I am talking about) that are based in SCAR TISSUE and ADHESIONS OF THE FASCIA. After we break up these scarred areas, it is critical to STRETCH the treated area because that's how we are going to pull the tangled, twisted, and wadded tissue apart so that it can heal normally. Fail to pull the injured tissue apart, and you'll fail to gain any sort of long-term benefit from this sort of treatment. When you engage in either CARDIO OR STRENGTH training, it will, by its very nature, involve repetitive motions, intense muscle contractions (shortening), or both. I probably do not have to tell you that this is counterproductive to what we are trying to accomplish.
How long does it take to heal? Good question. There are so many factors involved. How old are you? How good a shape are you in? Has the area been injured previously? Are you overweight? What are your VITAL RESERVES like? How good is your diet (this one covers a lot of ground)? What form(s) of exercise do you engage in? How long had you dealt with your problem before coming to see me? Have you considered that your problem could be SYSTEMIC? There are numerous factors to consider, not to mention the fact that I think everyone's connective tissues are different (i.e. what makes some people more injury-prone than others?). Just be aware that if you start exercising too soon after treatment, you can seriously disrupt the healing process.
I would recommend that for people with problems that were either caused by severe trauma (i.e. an MVA), or have been going on for a long time (months or years), you should take at least two weeks before you begin doing anything physical that you have not already been doing. If you could previously walk around the block one time without causing pain, by all means do it (just don't forget to stretch). But before you try to walk any farther, wait two weeks. And then start adding to your regimen slowly --- a word that some of you have a tough time understanding. It may take you several weeks to get back into the groove of things; and several months to get back to where you were before you developed your problem. The hard reality is that you may never get back. Despite all the things I can do after multiple severe ankle sprains and Avulsion Fractures in my younger days, to this day I cannot ride a bicycle, and haven't been able to for a decade. It's the result of piriformis issues that are fired off by the goofy biomechanics of a mostly resolved foot problem that at one time had me wondering if amputation would be better than the pain (HERE). But I can do so much more than I used to be able to do. This past year, I can even do some easy leg workouts in my gym. And I have learned through trial and error that as long as I don't do them more than once a week, I can SWING THE KETTLEBELLS as well.
The point is; you're reading this because you have been dealing with your problem for a long time. You are better since coming to see me. By all means, do what you feel your body is capable of --- but don't screw up and re-injure yourself. It's not worth it. Go slow, and hopefully your body will take off and heal. It takes 2-3 weeks just to heal a paper cut. And your body is dealing with far more than that. For an explanation of specific soft tissue healing times, look for "The Phases / Stages of Tissue Repair & Healing" section of our COLLAGEN SUPER-PAGE. Good luck and Happy Healing!
RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME
MYTH OR MALADY?
People with RLS are invariably plagued by paresthesias (odd or uncomfortable sensations such as numbness, tingling, 'crawlies', tickling, pins and needles, itching, and numerous others) which, while not usually horrendously painful, are unpleasant to say the least. And sometimes these sensations are mixed in with pain; occurring most commonly in the legs, but with the potential to happen in almost any part of the body. People constantly move or shake the affected body part because doing so tends to provide some temporary (key word, 'temporary') relief. One of the biggest problems associated with Restless Leg Syndrome is that many of the sufferers, not surprisingly, have trouble sleeping. Furthermore, according to a 1996 study published in the journal Neurology (The `Night-Walkers' Survey), nearly half of those with Restless Leg started having their symptoms prior to age 20. In other words, contrary to popular belief, RLS is not an "Old People's" disease. Of this younger group, the most common diagnosis (or misdiagnosis as the case may be) ---- that old standby used to describe all sorts of childhood pains --- "Growing Pains". (The analogous catch-all phrase for adults is "ARTHRITIS".)
Thus, people with Restless Leg Syndrome have an uncontrollable (yes, it is literally "uncontrollable") urge to move. I have actually had patients tell me that trying to fight this urge to move is like trying to perpetually suppress a yawn or a sneeze ---- only worse. You can do it for awhile, but eventually you're going to fail. As you might imagine, this makes things like traveling, sitting through a wedding, reading a book, watching a movie, or trying to make it through a board meeting, difficult to say the least. For some people with severe cases, it can be impossible. It also means that these people cannot rest, relax, or chill out.
Nearly 20 years ago, I successfully treated a waitress who worked at a 24 hour truck stop. Her restless legs had already cost her a marriage, and she was so bad that she would work 2 or 3 shifts back-to-back. When she was utterly exhausted, she could go home and get 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep before her legs would wake her up, and she had to get up and begin moving again. As you might imagine, sitting down to watch a television show or read a book was out of the question.
WHAT CAUSES RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME?
- ANEMIA: People with Restless Leg Syndrome often have issues with iron (Iron Deficiency Anemia or increased iron storage). They also tend to have Folic Acid deficiencies as well as B-12 deficiencies and Pernicious Anemia.
- ADRENAL FATIGUE / FIBROMYALGIA: This is not surprising once you understand what FIBROMYALGIA really is or what causes it. In fact, several ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS are associated with Restless Leg Syndrome.
- DIABETES / PERIPHREAL NEUROPATHY: The truth is, numerous experts believe that Restless Leg Syndrome is a form or PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY. By far, the number one reason for PN (Peripheral Neuropathy) is DIABETES (or UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR --- including HYPOGLYCEMIA, which has also been specifically mentioned by studies).
- AUTOIMMUNITY: There are a number of AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES which have been specifically tied to Restless Leg Syndrome by the peer-reviewed literature (HERE is a list of various Autoimmune Diseases). Some of these include HASHIMOTO'S THYROID DISEASE, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, Sjogren's Syndrome, and CELIAC DISEASE to name a few (bear in mind that there is lots of evidence linking NON-CELIAC GLUTEN SENSITIVITY to Restless Leg Syndrome as well). By the way, even though the standard line is that the cause or RLS is unkown (idiopathic), many in the research community believe it to be an Autoimmune Disease, despite the fact that the specific tissue the body is attacking has not yet been discovered. This is how IBS was until very recently.
- DEPRESSION & ADHD: Several studies have shown that people with DEPRESSION or ADHD, have significantly higher incidences of Restless Leg Syndrome.
- SLEEP APNEA: Apparently, not only do people who have Restless Leg struggle with INSOMNIA, they also struggle with SLEEP APNEA as well.
- PARKINSON'S DISEASE: Because at least part of the brain that is affected in Restless Leg Syndrome, is also affected in PARKINSON'S DISEASE (problems with the neurotransmitter Dopamine), there is an intimate connection between the two.
- VERICOSE VEINS: For whatever reason, a 2007 study published in the journal Phlebology (Restless Legs Syndrome in Patients with Chronic Venous Disorders: An Untold Story) revealed that people being treated in "Phlebology Clinics" (likely for vericosities) doubled their chances of ending up with RLS when compared with a control group.
- CERTAIN PRESCRIPTION DRUGS: When people go off of NARCOTICS, SLEEPING PILLS, and VALIUM; or take things like ANTIDEPRESSANTS, Anti-psychotics, Antihistamines, or Anti-convulsants; they put themselves at risk for developing Restless Leg Syndrome.
- CERTAIN SURGERIES: It has been said that certain surgeries --- or even injuries --- particularly when they affect THE SPINE, are somehow related to Restless Leg Syndrome.
- PREGNANCY: If Restless Leg Syndrome is the result of PREGNANCY, it typically occurs in the third trimester and goes away shortly (within a month) after giving birth.
- GENETIC FACTORS: Listen; I fully realize that genetics play a huge part in all sorts of sickness and disease. I also realize that in many, if not the majority of cases, EPIGENETICS trumps genetics. This means that it may not be as simple as blaming it on mom and dad.
HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE WITH RESTLESS
LEG SYNDROME NATURALLY
As is typically the case, the medical community thinks they have the best answers. Who knows; maybe they do? But other than Narcotics and Anti-convulsants (two drugs that made the list of things that actually cause or flare RLS in the first place) the main line of defense is a class of drug called "Dopamine Agonists" (Ropinirole, Pramipexole, Carbidopa / Levodopa or Pergolide --- some of the same meds used to treat Parkinson's). But listen to what a popular online encyclopedia has to say about this class of drug. "There are, however, issues with the use of dopamine agonists. Dopamine agonists have caused augmentation. This is a medical condition where the drug itself causes symptoms to increase in severity and/or occur earlier in the day. Dopamine agonists may also cause rebound, when symptoms increase as the drug wears off. In many cases, the longer dopamine agonists are used the higher the risk of augmentation and rebound as well as the severity of the symptoms. Also, a recent study indicated that dopamine agonists used in restless leg syndrome patients can lead to an increase in compulsive gambling." In English, this means that the longer you are on the drug, the greater the chance of bad side effects and the less chance the drug is going to work for you. Which brings us to the question of what a person can do to deal with this problem without the drugs.
- IVORY SOAP: I remember hearing this one from my mom several years ago. No one has a clue how it works, but putting a bar of Ivory Soap (no idea why it needs to be Ivory) in a sock, under the covers, at the foot of your bed, has numerous strong proponents from the online message boards. If it works, it works, and if it doesn't, it's harmless, so who cares.
- HAVE MORE SEX: A study from the Neuro-Sono Sleep Center of the Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery at the Universidade Federal de São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil, was published in the April 2011 issue of the medical journal Sleep Medicine. Reading comments by readers of several blogs dealing with RLS was definitely an eye-opener. I must admit that I had a difficult time feeling sorry for the husband of the woman who commented that the only way she could control her Restless Legs was by having sex at least once a day for the past decade. By the way, if the ability to have sex is a trouble area for you, take a moment to read THIS.
- DEAL WITH THE ANEMIA: This might mean that you need to see a specialist in Functional Medicine. Simply taking iron or B-VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS is often not enough. Also be aware that many people with poor GUT HEALTH have various forms and stages of DYSBIOSIS --- usually caused by ANTIBIOTICS, and fed by SUGAR. Or fed by iron itself. That's right; according to numerous scientists including DR. CAMPBELL-McBRIDE, several strains of dysbiotic bacteria actually feed and thrive on iron (Actinomyces spp., Mycobacterium spp., pathogenic strains of E. coli, Corynebacterium spp., others). Thus, an underlying Dysbiosis can leave even people who consume plenty of iron, deficient, by consuming their host's intake. I have seen people recommend a combination of Apple Cider Vinegar and Blackstrap Molasses (the increased acid boosts absorption (HERE), while the Molasses is high in iron). The best way to get plenty of quality iron is from consuming red meat.
- MAGNESIUM AND TRACE MINERALS: First, you need to be aware of how many different drugs deplete the body of Magnesium. Secondly, you have to understand how critical this mineral is for a wide variety of biochemical / metabolic pathways. Add those two things together and you can see where things go south for many people. One of the biggest proponents of getting plenty of Magnesium is DR. RUSSELL BLAYLOCK, the Mississippi Neurosurgeon who wrote the book on Excitotoxins (ASPARTAME & MSG) nearly 25 years ago.
- VARIOUS HERBS: There are a whole host of herbs, tonics, tinctures, and homeopathics out there that different people swear by. You can do your own research on this one. One that you might try is Hyland's Restful Legs.
- CHIROPRACTIC & ACUPUNCTURE: Over the two and a half decades I have been in Chiropractic, I have personally seen numerous people respond favorably to both of these methods of healing. It's not difficult to understand once you see how CHIROPRACTIC affects the Nervous System.
- BRAIN-BASED THERAPY / OXYGEN: I have seen it postulated that the Basal Ganglia is the part of the brain most commonly fouled up in people with Restless Leg Syndrome (The Basal Ganglia are associated with voluntary motor control, procedural learning, eye movements, cognitive and emotional functions, and others. Problems here lead to movement disorders, Parkinson's, Huntington's, Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADDICTIVE BEHAVIORS such as GAMBLING). OXYGEN is almost always beneficial for people with chronic brain problems, as is BRAIN-BASED THERAPY. EXERCISE is super beneficial for stimulating the brain as well.
THE CASE AGAINST
"When I tell friends outside medicine that many papers published in medical journals are misleading because of methodological weaknesses they are rightly shocked. Huge sums of money are spent annually on research that is seriously flawed through the use of inappropriate designs, unrepresentative samples, small samples, incorrect methods of analysis, and faulty interpretation." Dr. Doug Altman (statistician) from a January 1994 editorial published in one of the oldest and most prestigious medical journals in the world; British Medical Journal (The scandal of poor medical research). Altman concluded that, "The poor quality of much medical research is widely acknowledged, yet disturbingly the leaders of the medical profession seem only minimally concerned about the problem and make no apparent efforts to find a solution".
"Twenty years later I fear that things are not better but worse... Sadly, the BMJ could publish this editorial almost unchanged again this week" Past editor of BMJ, Dr. Richard Smith, writing about the article above in the January 31 edition of the British Medical Journal's blog (Medical Research --- Still a Scandal). Smith went on to say that, "I wasn’t shocked when we published Altman’s editorial because I’d begun to understand about five years’ before that much research was poor."
- INCREDIBLE WASTE: In the September 2009 issue of The Lancet, doctors Iain Chalmers and Paul Glasziou published an article called Avoidable Waste in the Production and Reporting of Evidence. Astoundingly, they showed that 85% of the monies spent on medical research is wasted. Re-read that sentence and let it sink in for a moment --- especially in light of the fact that most of that money is coming out of your pocket in the form of hard-earned tax dollars. Just last month, The Lancet revisited this topic with an entire series of articles. You ticked off yet? If not, just stick around and you will be!
- RESEARCH IS OFTEN BIASED: I know you'll find this difficult to believe --- particularly in light of the story about the tobacco researcher above --- but it's true. It is all but completely impossible to trust research / researchers when so much MONEY IS AT STAKE. Probably the only industry bigger than Big Pharma is Big Oil. When a certain drug company gives John Q Public University 500 million dollars to build the SquibbMerleCo. Research Center smack-dab in the middle of their campus, do you think that the doctors hired to do the research are going to come up with results that show that SMC's drug is ineffective or harmful? Not if there is any way around it. It's the very reason that drugs like PREGENTITORIVOX get OK'd in the first place. And if the research is too bad to ignore. That's even easier to deal with. Just bury it as though it never existed.
- INVISIBLE & ABANDONED STUDIES: I recently wrote a THREE PART SERIES on this little known problem. Smith sums the situation up nicely when he says that, "the research that is completed is not made fully accessible. Half of studies are never published at all, and there is a bias in what is published, meaning that treatments may seem to be more effective and safer than they actually are. Then not all outcome measures are reported, again with a bias towards those are positive." Think about this for a moment. All you have to do to skew the results of research in your favor is to only publish favorable studies. The ones that turned out poorly for the company funding the research? They never happened.
WHY IT MATTERS
Because the American people have turned healthcare over to our government, our government will soon be making virtually all of the big healthcare decisions for you and your family --- particularly those that are supposedly in the interest of "Public Health" Slightly HIGH CHOLESTEROL? You'll be forced to take a STATIN DRUG. Having a hard time with DEPRESSION? You will be made to take ANTI-DEPRESSANTS. Don't want your child who is struggling with CHRONIC EAR INFECTIONS to be given ANTIBIOTICS, but instead to be treated by a Chiropractor? Trust me when I tell you that in your lifetime ( assuming the ZOMBIES have not taken over first), you will be spoon-fed healthcare in whatever doses the government deems fit to dole them out in. Why do you think that the drug industry did not really put up a fight against the ACA? It's because they are going to make a killing. And just remember; it might be you that is on the receiving end of that killing (HERE).
GLUTEN AND CHRONIC PAIN
Several recent studies have tried to prove that there is a link between the gluten-free diet and chronic pain. Gluten is the protein portion in certain grains such as wheat, rye, barely, and other grains. In most patients, it is one of the top reasons for inflammatory processes in the body, and with inflammation comes pain. Patients who are sensitive to gluten don’t actually digest it, so it ends up sticking to the upper portion of the intestines where it is supposed to be digested. Since a foreign substance is now stuck to the intestine, this triggers the immune system into action to get rid of it. The intestines then become inflamed and the continual immune system response that occurs through the body causes pain. Certain types of pain have been shown to reduce by eating a gluten-free diet. Chronic abdominal pain is the biggest, but migraines and other headaches, all over body pains, and joint pains (such as arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis) may also benefit from going gluten-free. - The Pain Center of Arizona (Is There A Link Between Gluten and Chronic Pain?).
- INFLAMMATION: Inflammation is the root of nearly all non-genetic health conditions --- and even a few that people like to blame on "BAD GENES". Gluten is a known driver of INFLAMMATION, and if Inflammation is not controlled, it will lead to a wide variety of health problems including....
- AUTOIMMUNITY: Here's the scoop people. Out of control Inflammation is heavily linked to Autoimmunity in the peer-reviewed literature (HERE is a list of Autoimmune Diseases). The critical thing to remember about AUTOIMMUNITY is that once your system is Autoimmune, all bets are off as far as what tissue the body will decide to make antibodies against and attack next. Autoimmune Diseases frequently travel in packs, like wolves. In other words, where you find one, you are likely to find many. By the way, SYSTEMIC TENDINOSIS and SYSTEMIC ADHESIONS OF THE FASCIA can both fall into this category of "Systemic Autoimmunity".
- FIBROMYALGIA (ADRENAL FATIGUE) / CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME: Google "Fibromyalgia Gluten" and you get over 1.5 million hits. To learn the truth about FIBROMYALGIA, just click the link.
- ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS: This covers a lot of ground in the Autoimmune / Inflammatory Disease area. Some of the specific problems include nearly all THYROID DISEASE, including Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, ADRENAL FATIGUE, which we just covered, and a wide range of others, including various forms of BLOOD SUGAR DYSREGULATION. If you are interested in learning more about the Endocrine System, visit ENDOGUT --- the site about the relationship between the Endocrine System, the Gut, and the Immune System.
- LEAKY GUT SYNDROME: Speaking of "Gut", why not take a moment to understand LEAKY GUT SYNDROME. Although you might find the occasional exception to the rule, you cannot have Gluten Sensitivity without having a 'Leaky Gut'. However, many people can and do have Gluten Sensitivity, without having Celiac Disease --- a very specific Autoimmune Disease of the small intestine.
- NEURODEGENERATIVE DISORDERS: Some of the neurologically degenerative diseases that have been associated with Gluten include things like ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, PARKINSON'S DISEASE, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, various forms of NEUROPATHY such as Restless Leg Syndrome, and even SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE. In fact, the largest class of symptoms of Gluten Intolerance fall into the NEUROLOGICAL CATEGORY.
- ARTHRITIS PAIN: Gluten is frequently a factor whether your problem is due to DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS or an Autoimmune form of arthritis such as RHEUMATOID.
- OBESITY: I could have included this in the first bullet point since OBESITY is considered to be an "Inflammatory" condition. Even people who are not technically Gluten Sensitive, will often have problems with grains. Think about why this is. What do you feed a beef if you want to put weight on it. No, not grass. You feed them grain. Grain is what INCREASES BLOOD SUGAR and causes the metabolic pathways of "Fat Storage" to kick in. HERE are some tips as far as losing weight is concerned.
- MYSTERY PAIN OR MUPS: As crazy as it sounds, these two problems account for as much as 40% of all doctor visits here in America. It's certainly not that everyone with MYSTERY PAIN or M.U.P.S. is going to be Gluten Sensitive. But if neither you nor the doctor(s) treating you has any real idea of what is going on, for Pete's sake, go GLUTEN FREE. If you are interested in seeing how this all fits into a 'big picture', HERE is a short post on the topic.
WHY HASN'T MY DOCTOR TESTED
ME FOR GLUTEN SENSITIVITY?
Just the other day, I was treating a woman with PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME and her husband was having trouble wrapping his mind around the reason that a biblical food such as wheat could be so problematic as far as health was concerned. I not only talked to him about THIS, I told him of the study I saw at one of DATIS KHARRAZIAN'S seminars a couple of years ago that talked about the fact that in Australia, there were six proteins recently found in wheat that were not in existence twenty years ago. This is the result of genetic tinkering (GMO) and intense hybridization that has left us with grains that are radically different from the grains we were eating 50 or 60 years ago.
All of this information is great, but what would I do if I thought I were Gluten Sensitive? Because my entire family is at least moderately Gluten Sensitive (and because PARKINSON'S DISEASE runs in my family), I have had to educate myself about this topic.
DESTROY CHRONIC PAIN
BY GOING GLUTEN FREE
GLUTEN CROSS REACTORS are foods that have a close enough molecular shape to Gluten that your body will recognize them as such. If you do not cut the Gluten Cross-Reactors out of your diet, you can go GLUTEN FREE, and wind up thinking Gluten is not your problem because you still have all of your problems / symptoms. The healthier you are, the less likely you are to have a problem with the cross-reactors ---- especially things like eggs or potatoes. But if you are going to do it, why not go and DO IT RIGHT.
NEW INFORMATION ABOUT MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME
"Biologists have demonstrated a connection between multiple sclerosis -- an autoimmune disorder that affects the brain and spinal cord -- and gut bacteria." - The July 20, 2010 issue of Science Daily, talking about the research of Drs. Sarkis K. Mazmanian and Yun Kyung Lee of the California Institute of Technology
Multiple Sclerosis is an Autoimmune Disease that is the result of scarring (sclerosis) along the surface of the Brain and Central Nervous System which is the result of the body perceiving it's own meylin sheaths (the insulation around the nerve system --- the so called 'white matter') as foreign. Once the body recognizes a tissue as foreign, it makes antibodies against it and begins the attack. As you might imagine, the resulting symptoms can be far-ranging and include physical, cognitive, and even psychiatric problems. As is the case with virtually all Autoimmune Diseases, women are far more affected than men, and depending on when the disease first appears, it can shorten life span by as much as a decade.
I'm writing this post because four years after the Cal Tech study showing a strong link between the disease and Gut Bacteria, another major study is taking it a step further. Back in October, the medical journal PLoS ONE published a collaboration between Weill Cornell Medical College and The Rockefeller University in New York. Their conclusion is that the common bacteria (Clostridium perfringens - type B) produces a toxin which triggers MS. And although they were talking about animals in this case, listen to what the researchers wrote about what they think might trigger C Perfringens to trigger MS. "Neurologic symptoms occur when carbohydrate rich feed... favors exponential growth of the bacilli ".
The Clostridium family of bacteria are inclined to manufacture toxins. The most common is one that you have likely heard of --- Clostridum Botulinum (Boltulism) ---- the bacteria that BOTOX is made from. A 2012 study from the journal Veterinary Microbiology talked about the benefit of Proteolytic Enzymes (DIGESTIVE ENZYMES that break down protein --- particularly the pancreatic enzyme Trypsin) in helping get rid of C. Perfringens infections. No matter how you slice it, the cliche from the old school natural doctors is just as true today as it ever was. Heal the gut, heal the body. But how does one go about healing the gut?
IS IT POSSIBLE TO HELP THOSE FIGHTING MULTIPLE
SCLEROSIS TO DO IT IN A MORE NATURAL MANNER?
In order to start this process, it means you'll have to take some serious responsibility for your health. For one thing, you are going to have to study. Knowledge is power, and you can start by gaining a cursory understanding of things like TBI'S, INFLAMMATION (not one in a thousand people have any idea what it really is), GLUTEN SENSITIVITY, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, BLOOD SUGAR (remember the quote about carbohydrate rich feeds from above?), ANTIBIOTICS, PROBIOTICS, DYSBIOSIS, and GUT HEALTH. And that's just for starters. You'll also need to figure out which DIET will be the best for your particular situation.
I have put together some very generalized information HERE and HERE that may help you understand the process that will be needed to get the bull by the horns and start taking charge of your own health. If you have further questions you can contact me or make an appointment with someone in your area --- preferably someone who practices FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGY and Functional Medicine.
TO CT OR NOT TO CT?
IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW BADLY YOU WANT CANCER
We've known for decades that ionizing radiation such as that used in X-rays can damage cellular DNA. Furthermore, DNA MUTATIONS lead not to new species as many biologists would tell us, they lead to CANCER. The problem with all of this is that few of us are aware of the extent to which cancer is directly related to CT scans and the mega-dosing of radiation which is inherent with the technology. And although it;s just starting to make its way into the mainstream media, none of this is new information.
The June 27, 2008 issue of Time Magazine said this about the situation, "A CT scan packs a mega-dose of radiation — as much as 500 times that of a conventional X-ray". Worse yet, the June 18, 2013 issue of Scientific American upped that by saying a single CT can blast an individual with as much as, "1,100 times the radiation of a conventional x-ray". Just check out some of the 'fun-facts' that that these authors pulled from the peer-reviewed research and governmental agencies.
"I, like many doctors, do not discuss the radiation risks of CT scans with my patients often enough, if at all." Dr. Anna Reisman from the August 2012 issue of Slate (Is your physician increasing your risk for cancer?).
"We routinely run the "Super Seven" on trauma patients, whether they really need it or not." From a conversation with a friend who is a rad tech in the ER department of a large hospital. In other words, if you've been in a car wreck or other accident you will automatically get seven different CT Scans.
A 2009 collaboration between the University of California, Kyung Hee University, Johns Hopkins University, the National Cancer Institute, and the University of Washington, showed that for every 4,300 head scans done on 20 year old females, there would be one additional case of cancer. How many head scans are done in the US each year? Although exact numbers are sketchy, approximately 10% of the U.S. population has a CT scan done each year, with a total of around 75 million (many people have more than one per year). The August 2010 issue of The Medical Post said that, "In Calgary, Canada 12.1% of people who present to the emergency with an urgent complaint received a CT scan, most commonly either of the head or of the abdomen". As near as I can tell, the numbers in America are similar.
A study funded by the National Cancer Institute and UK Department of Health and published in the August 2012 issue of the medical journal Lancet, stated that, "Use of CT scans in children... might almost triple the risk of leukemia and... might triple the risk of brain cancer. Radiation doses from CT scans ought to be kept as low as possible and alternative procedures, which do not involve ionising radiation, should be considered if appropriate." But it gets worse.
Dr. David Brenner ( Higgins Professor of Radiation Biophysics Director of the Center for Radiological Research, Director of the Radiological Research Accelerator Facility, Professor of Environmental Health Sciences, head of the Department of Radiation Oncology) of the Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University Medical Center published a review of the scientific literature in the November 2007 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine called Computed Tomography — An Increasing Source of Radiation Exposure. Cherry picking Brenner's conclusions reveals that.....
"CT involves much higher doses of radiation, resulting in a marked increase in radiation exposure in the population. There is a strong case to be made that too many CT studies are being performed in the United States. There is a considerable literature questioning the use of CT, or the use of multiple CT scans, in a variety of contexts, including management of blunt trauma, seizures, and chronic headaches, and particularly questioning its use as a primary diagnostic tool for acute appendicitis in children..... Part of the issue is that physicians often view CT studies in the same light as other radiologic procedures, even though radiation doses are typically much higher with CT than with other radiologic procedures. In a recent survey of radiologists and emergency-room physicians, about 75% of the entire group significantly underestimated the radiation dose from a CT scan, and 53% of radiologists and 91% of emergency-room physicians did not believe that CT scans increased the lifetime risk of cancer.... However, if it is true that about one third of all CT scans are not justified by medical need, and it appears to be likely, perhaps 20 million adults and, crucially, more than 1 million children per year in the United States are being irradiated unnecessarily."
Here's the bottom line. I could have found enough studies on this issue of OVERUSING ADVANCED IMAGING --- particularly CT, and the dangers it poses to one's health --- particularly the health of your children; to turn this section into a book . The research is all there online for you to dig into. You can go look it up and do it yourself if you are interested. However, before I sign off, I am going to leave you a story that is all too common here in the U.S.
Three years ago this week, MY THEN 12 YEAR OLD SON and I were looking forward to heading out to Idaho Springs, Colorado to spend a few days with the guy who cured my decade-long foot problem several years ago (SHAWN ENO OF XTREME FOOTWERKS). I was going to have some work done, and we were all going to hit the slopes for a couple of days (my son had taught himself to snowboard here in the Ozark Mountains with Shawn's old board, and was ready to move on to the real mountains).
Wouldn't you know it; he started complaining of a 'belly ache' the Saturday before we were to leave. Telling myself that there was no way he could come down with acute appendicitis right before our trip, I ran several simple check on him and then called my BROTHER --- an E.R. doctor at a large Midwestern hospital. In my heart, I already knew what I did not want to hear him say. Kevin confirmed the worst and told me we needed pack up and head to the the hospital. We drove to the nearest facility that could remove an appendix --- about half an hour from us, and began the 18 hour process.
After it was all over, my brother had told us that since Malachi had almost no body fat, a CT scan was a total waste of time and money. The reason for this is because a CT done for appendicitis looks for displacement of a local fat pad more than it looks at the appendix itself. I verified the gist of what he told me by looking up a March 2003 study of the results of a five years study that was published in the Journal of Pediatric Surgery (The Diagnosis of Acute Appendicitis in a Pediatric Population).
The study's conclusions stated that, "CT imaging was not significantly more accurate in predicting appendicitis than examination alone. Preoperative FACT-CC [focused appendiceal computed tomography with colon contrast (dye)] did not increase the accuracy in diagnosing appendicitis when compared with patients diagnosed by history, physical examination and laboratory studies [simple blood work]." But here's the kicker --- the thing that shows you what a waste this test really is. "If there was a strong suspicion of appendicitis, a negative CT scan did not exclude the diagnosis of appendicitis." In light of all this, why in the world would you order this as a 'standard' test for appendicitis, particularly in a kid?
Anyway, it still pisses me off that we were essentially held hostage as far as removing my son's appendix, until we agreed to the CT by signing on the dotted line. I regret the fact that I did not know this particular information, and did not fight harder. They, however, knew better. So much for EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE. The takeaway here is that imaging is rarely as good as it's been touted to be (HERE or HERE) and should be avoided if at all possible.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration