PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME VIDEO TESTIMONIAL
The other day, I wrote a post called CHIROPRACTIC MIRACLES, which was about a young woman whose life had been all but destroyed by PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME she developed from a severe automobile accident. Since she drove 1,600 miles to see us, you need to take thirty seconds to read her comment to the article. Cool stuff! Thanks Liz.
Below is a Video Testimonial of Vicky. Over a period of several years, Vicky had been thrown from her horse a number of times, always landing on her back and / or rear end. After developing progressively worse low back / hip / buttock / Sciatic pain, she came to see me. I took a couple of initial x-rays; and not following my own advice that it is frequently difficult to correlate X-ray findings with a patient's pain (I was fooled by their severity --- HERE), I sent her to Springfield for some additional testing. After running her through several advanced tests and essentially telling her that her case was hopeless (there was nothing to be done for her other than taking meds while her back DEGENERATED down to nothing), she ended back at my office.
Stupid me; I had not checked Vicky for FASCIAL ADHESIONS and TENDINOSIS of her Piriformis and Gluteal Muscles. The Scar Tissue was horrendous. And although Vicky is not where she wants to be yet, she is dramatically improved over where she was a year ago ---- this despite still having the same ugly findings on MRI and X-ray. Thanks for the video Vicky!
WHAT IS A PULLED MUSCLE?
The Reilly Tar & Chemical Corporation in Indianapolis, Indiana was placed on the National Priorities List (NPL) by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on September 21, 1984. Industrial development of the Site began in 1921 when Republic Creosoting Company started a coal tar refinery and a wood treatment operation on the southern end of the property. On-site wood treatment operations occurred from 1921 to 1972. Beginning in 1941, several chemical plants were constructed and operated on the northern end of the property. Environmental problems at the site are related to the management and disposal of creosoting process wastes and to wastes associated with and substances used in the process of manufacturing specialty chemicals. Contamination According to EPA studies, groundwater is contaminated with pyridine, benzene, and ammonia, all materials that are used in the chemical production operations. About 5,200 residents within 3 miles of the site use ground water for drinking. Citizens have complained frequently of headaches, general ill health, and increased cancer and birth defects. Soils at the site are contaminated with a number of volatile organic contaminants (VOCs), semi-VOCs, and carcinogenic polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PNAs). Taken from The Energy Library (the information can also found on numerous governmental websites).
Listen up folks. I have been warning you about SYNTHETIC NUTRITION for a very long time. This is serious. It's time to sit up in your desk and pay attention. Not just for yourself, but for your children ---- and your grandchildren. If you are trusting the FDA to protect you from this kind of nightmare, you are being fooled. It's all up to you --- always has been. If you do not educate yourself about the differences between WHOLE FOOD NUTRITION and the Synthetic Fractionated Chemicals that pass for today's 'vitamins', you are setting yourself and your family up. And the word "natural"? It means nothing. Limestone is "all natural" and happens to be the most common source for calcium supplements. How's that been working out for you (HERE)?
EXPERTS ONCE AGAIN WARNING TO RESTRICT SALT INTAKE
IS THAT SMART?
The United States could prevent up to half a million deaths over the next decade if Americans cut their salt intake to within national guidelines, according to a new study. That finding - which comes the week New York City announced success toward its goals of cutting salt levels by one-quarter by 2014 - is based on computer simulations using data from various studies on the effects of extra sodium on blood pressure and heart risks. Reuters Health, New York
The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies recommends 1,500 mg of sodium per day. They also recommend that you not exceed 2,300 mg of sodium per day. Unfortunately, the average American is actually consumes closer to 4,000 mg of sodium per day. Where is all this sodium coming from? Dr. Coxson claims (I believe she is correct on this point) that it is coming largely from processed foods, with only about 20 to 25% of it coming from their salt shaker. Thus, her recommendation to cut back on processed foods, as opposed to stop salting food.
TWO MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THIS STUDY
- SALT & SODIUM ARE NOT SYNONYMOUS: Headline after national headline warns people to cut back on their salt intake. But this is not really what this particular study is saying. The study is really dealing with sodium intake. Table salt is NaCl --- Sodium Chloride. One molecule of each element, held together with an ionic bond. Although many processed foods are unarguably high in salt, the salt is not the sodium source to be most worried about. I would be more concerned about Monosodium Glutamate --- otherwise known as MSG. Without going into detail, just understand that MSG is a terrible substance (read the link). I am glad that on some level, this study differentiates between the sodium that comes from MSG and the sodium that comes from table salt. By the way, what do you think the CDC says is the number one source of sodium here in America? Bread and cereal. Just one more great reason to go GLUTEN FREE.
- COMPUTER MODELS DO A POOR JOB OF PREDICTING ULTRA-COMPLEX METABOLIC PROCESSES IN LIVING ORGANISMS: Since when do computer programs predict metabolic activity? Living systems are absurdly complex. This was brought out in the Best Evidence Salt Study (link below). Trying to calculate complex metabolic activity by creating computer models can be an exercise in folly. Why? Living systems often act 180 degrees differently than you might expect? This fact was recently echoed by Dr. Michael Alderman of New York's Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He, along with a growing body of others, hotly debate the recommendation to cut sodium to the levels that Dr. Coxson and her team are ultimately shooting for. On top of this, the single biggest study ever done on salt recently concluded that salt restriction leads to early death. And furthermore, the more you restrict salt, the greater chances you have of dying prematurely (HERE).
Are you still afraid of salt? Listen to what renowned Whole Food Nutritional Expert, Dr. Bruce West of Health Alert (one of the best WHOLE FOOD newsletters on the planet) wrote almost a quarter century ago (1990).
“Without adequate salt, nausea and anorexia result. And with radically reduced salt diets, nerves and muscles can suffer. There is poor growth, and bones do not develop properly. Digestion and metabolism suffer, and deficiencies of other minerals are common. In fact a low-salt diet is hard to follow, may actually be harmful, and has the potential of doing an enormous amount of harm, even to the heart and blood vessels.”
TOO MUCH CALCIUM DOUBLES RISK OF DEATH
In this latest study that spanned nearly two decades, a team led by Dr. Karl Michaëlsson and his research team from Uppsala University in Sweden followed over 60,000 women. Over the course of this study, they saw 1/5 of them (12,000) die ---- mostly as a result of cardiovascular disease. As crazy as it sounds in our calcium-infatuated society, those with the highest daily calcium intakes (over 1,400 mg /day) died at the highest rates. In fact, the study's conclusion reads as follows; "High intakes of calcium in women are associated with higher death rates from all causes and [most specifically from] cardiovascular disease..." For those who understand why too much calcium is such a bad thing, the study's results should come as no surprise. To everyone else, it is time to learn the truth about calcium. The first thing you need to know is that this is not the first study touting these sorts of results.
Three years ago, a New Zealand study showed that adults who took 500 mg /day or more of supplemental calcium, increased their chance of heart attack by almost one third. And just last year, a study published in the prestigious medical journal Heart, showed that those who got the majority of their calcium from supplements (as opposed to food sources), had heart attacks at rates that were more than double those of their non-supplementing peer group (gulp!). What gives?
For starters, it seems that everyone has been conditioned --- particularly women --- to believe that you cannot get enough calcium without serious supplementation. You know; the idea that if a little is good, then a lot must be really good. What's even more scary is just how much food is being "fortified" with calcium these days (the most common are milk, OJ, fruit and vegetable juices, soy & rice milk, tofu, and grain-based products such as cereal). But all of this begs the question of why ---- why is taking calcium supplements bad? Listen to what Dr. Bart Clarke of the Mayo Clinic and the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research recently told Yahoo's Shine concerning this particular question.
"The bones can’t make use of it fast enough, and then it finds storage in places you don’t want it, such as in the cardiovascular system, or in the urine, which can lead to kidney stones. Calcium seems to be absorbed too quickly especially in the form of supplements. Calcium in the form of diet doesn’t seem to be of increased risk"
Choosing the best Calcium Supplement is just like choosing any nutritional supplement. Calcium, like other minerals, does not appear in living systems as an isolated inorganic compound. Yet this is the sort of calcium supplements that most people are taking. If you are consuming mass quantities of calcium in the form of rocks (limestone or coral) and shells (ground up oyster shells), you are headed for disaster. I get it; these are the cheapest forms of calcium on the planet. Prescribing these makes sense to the uninformed, and purchasing them is even easier. My favorite all time numbskull story on this topic pertains to the brilliant marketing ploy by the St. Louis manufacturer of the well-known product, TUMS. Tums is an antacid. Remember this because it is critical for understanding my point.
I am getting ready to do a blog post on something called HYPOCHLORHYDRIA (diminished amounts or potency of one's stomach acid). Because you should have copious amounts of incredibly strong stomach acid (most Americans do not); Hypochlorhhydria is at the root of lots of different health problems ---- including mineral deficiencies and osteoporosis. You see, all of the alkalizing minerals (the minerals that help maintain a slightly alkali pH in your body --- calcium included), can only be absorbed in an extremely acidic environment. As you should see, telling people to take an antacid made from ground up limestone (my mom was told to do this by her doctor), has to be the height of clinical stupidity. Not only do you dilute the stomach acid with a buffer (calcium), your source of that calcium is about as bad as it gets as far as your health is concerned (chalk / powdered limestone --- calcium carbonate).
TUMS INGREDIENTS: Calcium Carbonate (500 mg), Sucrose (table sugar), Corn Starch, Talc, Mineral Oil, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Adipic Acid, Sodium Polyphosphate, Red Dye #40 Lake, Yellow Dye #6 Lake, FD&C Dye Yellow #5 Lake (Tartrazine), Blue Dye #1 Lake
On top of all this, we have not even addressed the fact that if excess calcium is being deposited in your arteries, it is being deposited in other places as well. Can anyone say "Arthritis"? Arthritis is what happens when calcium is deposited in muscles, ligaments, bursae, tendons, joints, fascia, arteries, organs, and other soft tissues. Excess calcium being deposited in the soft tissues is one of the most common findings we see when we do Mineral Assays of Hair (Hair Analysis). Oh; and don't forget to read about the book I was sent by a cardiothoracic surgeon, DEATH BY CALCIUM.
MY CALCIUM RECOMMENDATIONS
THE MOST DANGEROUS FOOD IN AMERICA
ACCORDING TO THE FDA
Although the picture on the left is of HFCS-laden Mars Bars that were deep fried in Trans Fat; if that was your guess, you just failed the quiz. According to the FDA, the number one offender on their list of Top Ten Riskiest Foods is (I'm not making this up) Green Leafy Vegetables. The FDA's list of 'dangerous' Green Leafies specifically included things like iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, leaf lettuce, butter lettuce, baby leaf lettuce, escarole, endive, spring mix, spinach, cabbage, kale, arugula, and chard ---- the picture on the top right. But mom always told me that these were good for me. This begs the question of why. Why, according to the FDA, are Green Leafy Vegetables the 'riskiest' foods we could possibly consume here in America? Here it is.
CSPI identified 363 separate outbreaks linked to leafy greens, making them the number one entry in the FDA Top Ten. Salads and other food items containing leafy greens... sickened over 13,568 people who were reported to have become ill.
On the other hand, Trans Fats are known to kill somewhere between 20,000 - 30,000 people per year in the US (according to government statistics) ----- and they did not even make the list. But while we are talking about the FDA, let's go one better. Drugs and surgical errors are said to kill well over half a million people per year here in America (HERE & HERE). I have shown you repeatedly in my blog posts that the FDA is not doing their job. Despite putting on a good show at times, they are just about as deeply in bed with Big Pharma, Big Food, and Big Tobacco as you can get. If you are one of those people who are fretting and worrying about consuming Green Leafy Vegetables, you likely need to spend a bit more time learning about what it takes to get truly healthy. HERE & HERE are great places to start.
If you were to simply go by the numbers of drug ads targeting this specific group of people, they have fallen, it seems, into a bottomless pit. For many Boomers, simple tasks such as GARDENING, climbing stairs, pushing a mower, eating a meal, walking around the block, or even engaging in SEXUAL INTIMACY, are seemingly impossible without a wide array of prescription drugs (HERE).
MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY (protracted sigh) ---- my hero. Even though we are told over and over and over again that medical technology is saving the day by helping us live longer than we did in decades gone by, this is not completely true (HERE). Are people living longer today than they used to? Maybe. Certainly, if you look at government statistics, they are living longer. But if you take the time to look below the surface, I'm not so sure (HERE). I recently saw statistics showing that if we were to factor out deaths of infants and children under the age of 12, people living a century ago actually lived longer than we are living today. Should we be surprised? I say not.
People grew up in a different era. Everyone ate from a garden. There were no HERBICIDES / PESTICIDES or GMO's to contend with. Water came from the well and was not CHLORINATED OR FLUORIDATED. The meat was not tainted with ANTIBIOTICS, ESTROGEN, or growth hormones. The MILK was not pasteurized, homogenized, or loaded with hormones and antibiotics. Food did not contain ADDITIVES OR PRESERVATIVES. People were active. Hardly anyone was overweight, let alone fat. My, how times have changed (HERE). By the time we got to the Baby Boomer generation, things were heading south in a proverbial landslide.
Despite the fact that Americans spend more on healthcare than any country on the planet (and it's not even close); and despite the fact that we have a nearly unholy amount of medical technology at our fingertips; and despite the fact that over 10% of our citizens and 40% of our senior citizens are on 5 or more daily prescription medications (the topic of yesterday's post); our nation's health is declining --- rapidly and dramatically. But should we be surprised? Again, I say not. Watching the diets and lifestyles of the average American leaves us only to wonder that the problem is not worse than it is (HERE). And if you read yesterday's post, you realize that these two things (diet and lifestyle) are not being addressed by today's medical community ----- a fact verified again and again in the scientific, peer-reviewed literature (HERE).
According to a brand new study from West Virginia University's School of Medicine and published in JAMA Internal Medicine (The Status of Baby Boomers' Health in the United States: The Healthiest Generation?), about 1 in 3 Baby Boomers reported being in "excellent" health a decade ago. Now, that number is a little over 1/3 of that (13%). Baby Boomer obesity has skyrocketed to 40% with no end in sight, and few from within this age group do any sort of meaningful exercise. Virtually all of the CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY DEGENERATIVE DISEASES have increased in both frequency and severity in the Baby Boomer generation as well (for instance, twice as many Boomers walk with a cane as the previous generation). In other words, it's bad and getting worse.
SIDE NOTE: if you think the Boomers are in poor health, just wait for the next generation or two to get a few more miles on their odometers. You have not seen sick until you see people who have grown up in front of a TV, living on PROCESSED FOODS, VACCINATED half to death, and never having consumed a real vegetable in their lives.
"From 1946 through 1964, 78 million children (“baby boomers”) were born in the United States. In 2010, baby boomers made up 26.1% of the US population. Medicine has improved significantly during baby boomers' lifetimes. Although these advantages have led to a progressively increasing life expectancy, previous studies have shown mixed results regarding whether baby boomers are healthier than prior generations. Despite their longer life expectancy over previous generations, US baby boomers have higher rates of chronic disease, more disability, and lower self-rated health than members of the previous generation at the same age. The findings from the present study documenting poorer health status and increased rates of obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and hypercholesterolemia support an increased likelihood for continued rising health care costs and a need for increased numbers of health professionals as baby boomers age."
The study's lead author told Reuters Health that, "From somewhat of a public health standpoint we've actually had a bad scenario. You live longer, but - those extra years you bought - you're sick... That's not a good public health outcome." I would have trouble arguing with the good doctor. People are living longer than ever ---- it's just that on average, their health stinks. How fun is that? Is being alive without a real quality of life really living ---- especially when most people hold the key to their own health? Maybe. The funny thing is, the research team wasn't really sure why things are the way they are (they mentioned lack of exercise as a possible cause). Although you might disagree with my conclusions, allow me to attempt to answer this question of "why", by using an analogy from a popular movie from several years ago.
AMERICA'S HEALTHCARE MATRIX
Neo meets a legendary computer hacker turned super-Sherpa-ninja, guru, kung fu, mystic (Morpheus), who presents him with a question on which the fate of mankind hinges. Morpheus wants Neo to make a decision. He must choose between taking one of two pills --- red or blue. The red pill will wake him up from the Matrix so that he can battle it out against the machines who have control of the real world. However, taking the blue pill would allow him to remain in his nice comfortable life. Just understand that this life is not really real, but is lived in an incubator in a dreamlike comatose state that is controlled via complex computer programs that Neo has no control over himself. Morpheus warns Neo before he swallows the red pill, "Remember ---- all I’m offering you is the truth. Nothing more." Too bad our medical profession is not handing out much Morpheus-like 'TRUTH' these days. Let me play the part of 'Doctor' Morpheus for just a moment.
It is time for all of you (Boomers included) to take the proverbial "red pill". You need to wake yourself up from your false reality in order to do battle. What are the dragons you need to slay? It's not rocket science. According to the results of this and other recent studies, you need to declare war against the double-headed dragon of the Westernized 21st century world. You need to change you diet and you need to get active. Like I said, not rocket science.
These twin killers (poor dietary habits and sedentary lifestyle) bring about slow painful deaths, while leaving you with a schedule full of doctor visits and multiple daily medications ---- all while draining the life out of you in a Matrix-like fashion. Wake up! You and only you have the power to change this scenario. The Matrix can be defeated. But if you are expecting your doctor to do it for you, you're in for a rude awakening. Throwing more money and more of the same old standard of healthcare at chronic health conditions is no longer a viable solution --- as if it ever was to begin with. Take the red pill and arise from your comatose state.
Make the decision to point your life in a new direction --- the path of a great adventure. There is more to life than kicking back in your recliner and watching television while stuffing your face with junk food. If you need a place to start, my site has many of the answers you are looking for. The information I am providing you (completely free) will be enough for most of you (not all, but most) can reinvent your life. But I cannot do it for you. You'll have to do the heavy lifting yourself. HERE is the post!
HOW MANY DRUGS
ARE REALLY NECESSARY?
After interviewing numerous doctors and patients as to their thoughts on America's prescription drug culture, they came to some interesting conclusions. Here are some of the tidbits from the study ---- many are direct quotes. If they are not directly quoted, they were altered just enough to ensure proper grammar in context of use.
- Most doctors prescribe two or more drugs when targeting illness.
- Poly-pharmacy is common among patients.
- Over half the patients interviewed were taking five or more daily meds.
- 89% of those interviewed reported taking multiple daily meds.
- 11% of the entire US population and 40% of people older than age 60 take 5 daily meds or more.
- Increased numbers of prescriptions, produce inverse patient benefits.
- According to the FDA, between 1995 and 2005, side effects to prescription drugs increased 300% (btw, these adverse events are under-reported 90-99% of the time).
- Doctors are challenged by high numbers of drug side effects (adverse events).
- Few clinicians expressed concern about medications causing negative health outcomes or adverse events.
- Two-thirds of the patients reported experiencing symptoms they attributed to their diabetes medications, hypertension medications, or both. This value may be an underestimation of the adverse effects of these drugs.
- 13% of those patients with side effects required hospitalization.
- The cost of practicing medicine in this manner is out of control.
- Many insurance companies assess individual clinicians, often paying substantial bonuses that encourage clinicians to respond to marginal test results with aggressive use of pharmaceuticals.
- Spending on prescription drugs in the United States has risen nearly 6-fold since 1990.
- Pharmaceutical marketing is out of control (nearly $70,000,000 / day in the U.S. with $53 billion directed specifically at physicians).
- These marketing efforts contribute to heavy emphasis on medications (as opposed to diet or lifestyle recommendations).
- Pharmaceutical marketing prompts physicians to prescribe more drugs to more patients, with less and less chance of deriving long-term benefit, while exposing that now-much-larger drug-taking population to increased risk of adverse drug reactions.
- The pharmaceutical industry publishes research findings that promote their drugs. They also influence the establishment of clinical standards of care. The committees and organizations setting these standards of care often have substantial ties to pharmaceutical industry (HERE).
- The influence of the pharmaceutical industry on the marketing of medications for these chronic illnesses appears very successful. Although quite beneficial for industry profits, the consequences may include worsening health and increased risks from medications for patients.
- Nearly three-quarters of the interviewed doctors reported regular contact with pharmaceutical representatives (drug information, free lunches, free samples, etc). 62% saw over 10 drug reps per week, while asserting to interviewers information provided by drug reps is, "taken with a grain of salt". Nearly 80% found the information useful.
- 87% of physicians questioned have regular contact with drug reps.
- Only 7% of the doctors questioned the clinical soundness of using medications to reach the [oftentimes unattainable] goals called for by government guidelines.
- Doctors are rewarded for "production" (diagnosing more disease, prescribing more drugs).
- There needs to be more effort to limit the influence of the pharmaceutical industry on clinical practice.
- More medications are prescribed to control the effects of already-prescribed medications.
- Increasingly lower diagnostic thresholds, produce people who, according to government guidelines, "need" more drugs. In other words, lowering what is considered "normal" cholesterol would result in millions of additional prescriptions written for statins.
- Clinician classified patients as healthy or sick based on test results in relationship to governmental guidelines, rarely addressing the broader question of patient well-being.
Some of the interviewed doctors quotes are even better. I'll hit you with one before I have to sign off. "I've got patients on four different medications and their blood pressure is still uncontrolled. We try sending them to the cardiologists and they tell us, 'just keep adding stuff [more drugs] because there's really nothing we can do about this. Some people whose blood pressure we get normal; they don't function very well at all. I'm not sure why." Frankly, I hope you are ticked off. I also hope that you realize that to Big Pharma, you are a commodity. Nothing more; nothing less. If you are sick, they are making money --- bigger money than you can fathom. Healthy; you are worth nothing to them. Tomorrow I will show the answer to the good doctor's question of his final sentence. I will show you how to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, climb off the MEDICAL MERRY GO ROUND, and get your life back.
FDA LOOKING AT NEW DRUGS FOR DOUBLE CHINS
In our age of out of control pharmaceutical use, this is just one more example of over-the-top "health care". Even weight loss is being hijacked by our current healthcare system. I wrote just over a year ago that MEDICARE WILL PAY FOR WEIGHT LOSS ---- as long as you are losing one pound every two months. And what about other questionable forms of weight loss? Despite that fact that lots of doctors are touting it and insurances are paying for it, it seems that surgeries to shrink or staple the stomach do not work well for the long haul (HERE).
What do I recommend as far as WEIGHT LOSS is concerned? Forget about losing the double chin, and start concentrating on getting your whole body in shape. The chin will take care of itself. HERE is how I recommend you go about doing this. No, it's not as easy as taking a pill, potion, lotion, or having a surgery. But if you do it the right way, it will change your life and health forever.
CHRONIC LOW BACK PAIN
(AND THE TOP TEN WAYS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM)
A 2012 study by four MD / Ph.D researchers and published in the journal Helio (Low Back Pain and Sciatica Prevalence and Intensity...) concluded that, "39.5% of patients reported low back pain 24.6% reported sciatica during the previous 6-month period." Bone & Joint Burden dot org said of LBP, "In any given year, between 12% and 14.0% of the United States’ adult population (above 18 years of age) will visit their physician with complaints of back pain. In addition, an unknown, but very high number will visit a chiropractor or physical therapist for these complaints. The number of physician visits has increased steadily over the years. In 2012, more than 52.3 million patients visited a physician with a complaint of back pain." A 104 page piece by the drug company Pfizer (The Burden of Pain Among Adults in the United States) revealed that, "29–39% of adults with joint pain, low back pain, and neck pain report arthritis attributable activity limitations."
The webiste of the American Physical Therapy Association (Most Americans Live with Low Back Pain – and Don’t Seek Treatment) said that, "More than one-third of adults say low back pain has affected their ability to engage in tasks of daily living (39 percent), exercise (38 percent), and sleep (37 percent). Low back pain isn't just for those who spend a lot of time on their feet. In fact, more than half (54 percent) of Americans who experience low back pain spend the majority of their workday sitting. Men (31 percent) are more likely than women (20 percent) to report that low back pain affects their ability to do work. When experiencing low back pain, nearly three in four (72 percent) Americans use pain medication as a way to relieve their symptoms." The truth is, I am barely scratching the surface of this problem. But instead of just talking about how bad the situation is, let me give you some insight that might start you down the path to solving your problem. To solve your own back issues it is critical that you understand the Thoracolumbar Fascia.
Biomechanical studies of the spine have taught us that mechanical loads are transferred from the hips, pelvis, and low back, across the Thoracolumbar Fascia, to the upper back, shoulders, and arms, in an "X" shaped fashion. For instance, motions that involve twisting or rotating the trunk would transfer force up the right hamstring / gluteal muscles to the opposite side latissimus dorsi / trapezius (or visea versa). If you picture this occurring, the Thoracolumbar Fascia would be at the center of the X. Here are some pictures to better help you visualize some of the muscles involved. For more information, please read our posts on UPPER CROSSED SYNDROME and most particularly, LOWER CROSSED SYNDROME. For those of you struggling with chronic low back pain, you will not be able to begin helping yourself without understanding these simple concepts (not to mention, there is tons of self-help there).
MORE ON THE THORACOLUMBAR FASCIA
Fascia is the tough, yellowish-clear membrane that is found underneath the skin, and tightly covers any number of tissues, including muscles. A fun-fact that most practitioners are unaware of is that Fascia has the ability to contract (SLIGHTLY) similarly to muscle. Oh; and it actually acts as a second nervous system (HERE). Fascia can be responsible for all sorts of PAIN SYNDROMES, even though it cannot normally be seen with an MRI (HERE). In fact, if you want to see how cool this tissue really is, make sure to read my post, TWENTY FIVE REASONS WHY FASCIA or better yet, an organized conglomeration of all 165 of my fascia posts (HERE).
A 2009 study from the medical journal Spine shed some additional light on this topic of imaging Fascia. After trying to determine if problems of the Thoracolumbar Fascia could be seen using MRI, researchers at Philadelphia's Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital concluded that, "The sensitivity and specificity of MRI for diagnosing injury of the PLC [Thoracolumbar Fasica] are lower than previously reported in the literature. The integrity of the PLC [Thoracolumbar Fascia] as determined by MRI should not be used in isolation to determine treatment." In other words, you might see it, but the image is not good enough to be considered 'diagnostic'.
Stop and think about the gravity of this situation for a moment. The single most pain-sensitive tissue in your body is poorly imaged with current MRI technology. Furthermore, Scar Tissue in this area is a recipe for disaster because it can become hyper-sensitized to the point that some researchers say it is over 1,000 times more painful than normal tissue (HERE). To better understand what I am talking about when I talk about SCAR TISSUE or FIBROSIS, you need to take a couple of minutes and look at the links. Now that you have an improved understanding of Fascia in general, we can cover the three chief components of injuries to the Thoracolumbar Fascia.
- PAIN: As many of you have discovered, low back pain, SCIATICA, buttock pain (PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME), and SACROILIAC JOINT PAIN do not always respond to repeated Chiropractic Adjustments. Don't get me wrong; Chiropractic Adjustments are going to rapidly help many if not most people struggling with pain in these areas. But if there is one thing that I have learned over the past two decades of practice, it is that if Scar Tissue is present, you had better deal with it if you want any sort of chance at achieving long-lasting pain relief. It is also important to understand that the Thoracolumbar Fascia is continuous with the CERVICAL (NECK) FASICA, which is continuous with SKULL FASCIA as well. In other words, it's all attached to each other into a continuous sheath (HERE). This means that problems in one area of the body have the potential to cause pain in distant areas of the body --- one of several reasons that the most well known whiplash researchers on the planet stated almost two decades ago that the injuries seen in whiplash accidents are likely to cause, "bizarre and seemingly unrelated symptoms". HEADACHES are just one of many common results of injury to the Thoracolumbar Fascia (you'll see why momentarily).
- LOSS OF FUNCTION: As you will see in a moment, loss of motion / function (Functio Leasa --- the fifth component of INFLAMMATION) is a huge component of a Fascial Injury and the subsequent Scar Tissue and Fibrosis that forms as a result. It also goes hand in hand with loss of strength. Both of these lead to that vicious cycle of pain and re-injury, which in turn, leads us to our next bullet point. In the video clips below, I want you to take note of the results of a study that was published just over a year ago. NIH's National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine funded this study that was published in BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders back in 2011. The 10 second video clips are diagnostic Ultrasounds of Thoracolumbar Fascia --- healthy (no low back pain) -vs- injured (low back pain). For those of you struggling with Chronic Pain, the difference is shocking. It is refreshing to see that the model I have been describing to patients for over a decade and a half is on the money. It is also no wonder that the Fascial Adhesions as seen in the video on the right cause Chronic Pain.
NO LOW BACK PAIN
LOW BACK PAIN
- DEGENERATION: The end product of loss of normal joint function (strength and motion) is degeneration. Yes, it's true. If we live long enough, this becomes part of the normal aging process. However, because bony degeneration is so easily imaged with X-rays, MRI's, or CT, it is a convenient scapegoat for pain --- whatever kind of pain you may be having (HERE). In other words, it is easy to blame pain on Spinal Degeneration when the reality is that according to study after study, it probably has little or nothing to do with your pain. To really understand Spinal Degeneration, you need to have a cursory understanding of the neurological component of this whole process ---- MECHANORECEPTION / PROPRIOCEPTION. One more important fact to remember while we are on this topic; not only do the bones, discs, and cartilages in the area of a restricted Thoracolumbar Fascia degenerate, the Fascia itself degenerates. This is easy to understand when you realize that the Thoracolumbar Fascia is really an APONEUROSIS that is made up of several muscle tendons. In other words, the degeneration of the Thoracolumbar Fascia might almost be better understood in terms of TENDINOSIS rather than Fascial Adhesion
TOP TEN WAYS TO EFFECTIVELY DEAL WITH CHRONIC LOW BACK PAIN
- LOSE THE WEIGHT: If you are struggling with low back pain, but are not willing to do what it takes to get rid of excess weight (especially BELLY FAT, which puts additional torque on the low back), you are sabotaging your own efforts. I cannot tell you you how many patients tell me that if they gain just 10 extra pounds their back hurts. The best ways to lose weight are actually found on my clinic's "Checklist Handout" HERE. By the way, I already know what you are thinking. You want me to know that you cannot lose the weight because the pain keeps you from exercising. This EXCUSE does not fly here. Weight loss is about 80-90% diet, which means it is only 10-20% exercise. If you follow my advice, you can accomplish weight loss without exercise. Be aware though, that losing weight may mean an increased emphasis on Gut Health.
- HEAL YOUR GUT: Because virtually all health problems have a UNIVERSAL CAUSE, it would be in your best interest to learn about it and understand it. GUT HEALTH is critical for overall health, whether we are talking about your back, your THYROID, or your, ADRENAL GLANDS, or anything else. Be aware that all of this begins with a thorough understanding of LEAKY GUT SYNDROME and DYSBOSIS.
- CONTROL INFLAMMATION: The first thing you have to understand in your quest to heal your back is that INFLAMMATION, while probably a huge part of your problem, is probably not what you think it is (swelling). HERE is great information on eating an Anti-inflammatory Diet. And if you are still smoking; stop it already! Smoking is not only highly Inflammatory, it literally starves every cell in your body for OXYGEN. For those who think that this bullet is not critical, the March 2015 issue of the European Journal of Pain (Inflammation of the Thoracolumbar Fascia Excites and Sensitizes Rat Dorsal Horn Neurons) concluded that, after rats had their TL Fascia exposed to inflammation, "the expansion of the spinal target region of fascia afferents [sensory nerves]... and the appearance of new receptive fields is a possible explanation for the spread of pain in patients with non-specific low back pain." In other words, inflammation created more nerves to sense pain. Bottom line, if you are not controlling inflammation without drugs, this will always lead to degenerative changes of the spine and surrounding tissues (HERE).
- CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR: How many health problems are being tied back to UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR? Thanks to inflammation, just about all of them. If you fail to understand this point (even if your blood sugar is 'normal'), your ability to heal your spine will be severely hampered -- even without DIABETES. By the way, the diet I recommend for this and each of the preceding bullet points? PALEO --- particularly critical for those who are dealing with a SYSTEMIC FASCIA PROBLEM. Be aware that KETOGENIC can prove effective as well.
- MAKE SURE YOU TREAT THE INJURY PROPERLY: This could be in the form of a combination of CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS, COLD LASER THERAPY, WHOLE FOOD NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS, SPINAL DECOMPRESSION THERAPY, or any number of others. Sure you could hope that the BACK SURGERY your doctor has been pushing might help, but why? And as for the myriad of drugs you've been prescribed (HERE THEY ARE); masking the pain without addressing the underlying problem leads to the cycle of re-injury and degeneration that we already talked about.
- MAKE SURE THERE IS NO SCAR TISSUE PRESENT: No need for expensive diagnostic testing as far as this is concerned. It is crucial to understand that the things mentioned in the previous bullet point will not work if the Thoracolumbar Fascia contains SCAR TISSUE (aka "FIBROSIS"). If you are having Chronic Low Back Pain, make sure you try a couple of TISSUE REMODELING TREATMENTS! Re-watch the two videos above if you need to understand this concept better,
- WATCH YOUR POSTURE: Posture used to be a big deal. It used to be taught in school. Now it is all but ignored. POSTURE is not difficult, but you'll have to strengthen your core (more to come on this shortly).
- DO NOT SIT TOO MUCH: When you sit down, you take the load off your feet and put it on your spine --- most particularly your low back. In fact, sitting puts four times the amount of mechanical pressure / stress on your back as does standing. If you have a desk job, you may want to consider a stand up desk of some sort. Getting your screen up high helps keep you from slumping, as does sitting on an exercise ball instead of a chair.
- MAKE SURE TO MOVE EARLY AND OFTEN: Walk, swim, bike, get on an elliptical. I don't really care what you do, just move. We discussed earlier how loss of joint motion creates all sorts of problems in the low back. Do not neglect adding a STRENGTH PROTOCOL to your program.
- STRENGTHEN YOUR SPINE AS WELL AS YOUR ENTIRE BODY: I would suggest a regimen of CORE STRENGTHENING TECHNIQUES to start with. Talk to me before proceeding from there. See our previous links on Upper Crossed Syndrome and Lower Crossed Syndrome as well for any number of yoga-like stretches and core exercises.
- GET AN INVERSION TABLE: This helps a lot of people struggling with low back pain. HERE is a blog post on the topic.
- TRY SPINAL DECOMPRESSION THERAPY: There is great evidence that SPINAL DECOMPRESSION THERAPY can help 60-70% of you who are struggling with severe back issues such as Disc Problems, Spinal Stenosis, Facet Syndrome, or Spinal Degeneration. Be aware that it will most likely require Scar Tissue Mobilization to effectively deal with the Thoracolumbar Fascia.
AUTISM AND GUT HEALTH
WHAT IS THE LINK?
Fifty years ago, the incidence of Autism was said to be about 1 in 10,000. When I started practice in the early 1990's, the incidence of Autism had increased ten fold to about 1 in 1,000. The latest statistics continue to prove this trend. The latest statistics come from the CDC, courtesy of Jon Baio (Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders — Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, 14 Sites, United States, 2008. Surveillance Summaries). The incidence of Autism as of 2008 stands at 1 in 88, with males affected four times more often than females (UPDATE: -- it's now 1 in 50). And all the while, the average doctor will tell you that they have no real idea what is behind this epidemic, how to prevent it, or how to effectively deal with it once it strikes.
FOR THOSE WITH AUTISTIC CHILDREN
THE EVIDENCE IS A KICK TO THE GUT!
Even though most people are mortified by the very thought of bacteria living inside their bodies, the truth is, these 'good' bacteria known as Intestinal Flora perform all sorts of vital functions in the body. They not only help to digest food, they actually manufacture certain vitamins and then transport them, along with their mineral co-factors, to where they need to be. They act somewhat like a "plug" for our porous Intestines. Without the good bacteria doing their thing, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME is sure to follow. And once you have a leaky gut, all bets are off as far as the array of health problems you are sure to develop.
Much of this has to do with the fact that of the various jobs performed by the Gut, the most important has to do with Immune System function. This is because 80% of your entire Immune System is housed in your digestive tract (HERE). Stop and contemplate that last sentence for a moment. Could this simple fact be important to our overall health? Does it mean that your intestines do more than simply digesting food and purging waste products? Absolutely! In fact, Time Magazine stated last August that,
"Much of the time, our gut bugs are indeed more helpmates than invaders. They’re essential to the digestive process and they can boost the immune system by regulating the population of certain immune cells and preventing autoimmunity. But like all long-term house guests, the bugs can also make a mess. They’ve been linked to a range of nasty conditions, including obesity, arthritis, and high cholesterol. Now, two newer areas of research are pushing the field even further, looking at the possible gut bug link to a pair of very different conditions: autism and irritable bowel disease..... Up to 85 percent of children with autism also suffer from some kind of gastrointestinal distress such as chronic constipation or inflammatory bowel disease."
INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE AND GUT HEALTH
In response to a week-long series of articles on Autism run by the West Plains Quill back in 2005, I sent a letter to their editor (as well as to numerous area newspapers --- HERE). Although Wakefield's findings were tainted by lapses of judgement and some dubious financial Conflicts of Interest (not unlike like the rest of the medical community ---- HERE), I would contend that he was closer to the truth than many of the people in power would have us believe. One of the claims made by Wakefield was that the Guts of Autistic children contained measles virus --- not from wild measles, but from the genetically marked / genetically engineered strains used in today's Measles Vaccines. Could there be any validity to Wakefield's claim?
"Now a team from the Wake Forest University School of Medicine in North Carolina are examining 275 children with regressive autism and bowel disease - and of the 82 tested so far, 70 prove positive for the measles virus. Last night the team's leader, Dr Stephen Walker, said: 'Of the handful of results we have in so far, all are vaccine strain and none are wild measles." As reported in the May 28, 2006 issue of The Daily Mail; a British Newspaper.
| || |
Despite what Big Parma is telling you via their various media outlets, there is more to the discredited Wakefield's premise than Big Medicine would have you believe. A 2005 study from the Netherlands called Differences Between the Gut Microflora of Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders and that of Healthy Children was published in the October edition of the Journal of Medical Microbiology. What did the authors determine? The first part of the quote below comes from the study's Abstract. The second part comes from the study's Conclusion.
"Children with autistic spectrum disorders (ASDs) tend to suffer from severe gastrointestinal problems. Such symptoms may be due to a disruption of the indigenous gut flora promoting the overgrowth of potentially pathogenic micro-organisms....... There is now evidence that the gut microflora plays a role in autism. Modulation of the gut microflora by reducing the numbers of certain clostridia [a pathogenic bacteria] in ASD patients, while stimulating more beneficial gut bacteria [PROBIOTICS / FECAL TRANSPLANTS], may help alleviate some of the related symptoms."
DR. NATASHA CAMPBELL-McBRIDE GETS INVOLVED
Like many other doctors who have researched this hot-button topic, she has come to the conclusion that autistic children seem to have a common denominator ---- mothers with poor gut flora (the ratio of good bacteria to bad bacteria living in the gut has gone South). We already know that 80% of the Immune System is made up of bacteria living in the Gut (HERE). But the thing that is becoming increasingly clear is that for better or worse, this "flora" is passed on to the baby at birth. There are several ways that this is accomplished, including mom's skin, mom's milk, and mom's birth canal (proper vaginal flora is critical in the birthing process --- women who take Antibiotics have tangible proof of the short term consequences). I have even seen information touting the fact that the father gets to contribute to the baby's flora via sexual relations during pregnancy.
Dr. Campbell-McBride believes that one of the biggest problems in this whole issue (one that most doctors refuse to acknowledge) is that the incredible numbers and potencies of today's vaccinations given to infants and children are simply too much for an under-developed or compromised Immune System to take. Immature or weakened Immune Systems can and do, to varying degrees, become overwhelmed by the assault. The end product is always neurological damage in some form or fashion. Some of this neurological damage is what we today refer to as "Autism". But Vaccines are not the only problem here. The thing she says puts babies at the greatest risk is mom taking Antibiotics while pregnant. Combine these two items and you have the potential for a neurological disaster. Dr McBride goes as far to say that.....
"If your child has abnormal gut flora, we can assume that your child has compromised immunity, and these children must not be vaccinated with the standard vaccination protocol because they simply get damaged by it. They should not be vaccinated."
Believe me when I tell you that after the Wakefield fiasco, this is a sensitive topic. Most doctors would not want to touch this issue with a ten foot pole. If you think about it, researching this subject is a potential career breaker. (Think not? Just ask DR. HUGH FUDENBERG about picking the wrong topic to devote your life to studying.) What did the Pediatrics study have to say?
Endoscopic analyses of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Gastrointestinal symptoms have revealed the presence of a subtle, diffuse inflammation of the intestinal tract. Characterizing the nature of this inflammation remains an area in need of further investigation to fully understand and to provide further evidence of its relationship to Gastrointestinal symptoms in individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
First, you need to understand that this study has to do with DYSBIOSIS ----- a condition characterized as an overgrowth of bad critters in the gut (yeasts, fungus, bad bacteria, etc). These bad organisms can take over and literally crowd the normal flora out of the Gut. Secondly, understand that in some capacity, Dysbiosis is related to poor carbohydrate digestion. This is especially intriguing in light of Dr. McBride's GAPS Diet and the fact that almost 100% of the children on the Autism Spectrum are GLUTEN SENSITIVE and addicted to carbs / sugars (more on this in a moment). Without going into great detail, let me show you some quips that were cherry-picked from the study's Abstract.
Recent reports suggest certain behaviors among children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) may indicate underlying gastro-intestinal (GI) problems, and that the presence of these behaviors may help alert primary care providers to the need to evaluate a child with ASD for GI problems. Unusual sleeping or eating habits and oppositional behavior were significantly associated with GI problems. These behaviors, however, were frequent in both children with and without GI problems, suggesting they may have limited utility in a screening capacity for GI problems.
Number two; according to the study, it seems that significant numbers of children have poor gut health. Should we be surprised? Once you understand how poor gut health causes so many other health problems (HERE); and that sugar / starch consumption is what feeds Dysbiosis, this is actually what we would expect to see in our society. If you stop and think about this for a moment; the fact that both groups had such serious health / behavioral issues to begin with, raises another interesting question. It seems that even though study after study shows evidence of bowel dysfunction in Autistic children (not to mention non-Autistic children), these are rarely accompanied by statistically significant numbers of positive endoscopic findings.
"One impression I had, though, is that there’s a dearth in the scientific findings of intestinal clinical signs, such as from endoscopy, in autistic people, which has made it rather difficult to establish any definitive link.
Some clinical findings point to esophageal dysfunction: one study found more reflux in autistic children, another identified a rare esophageal disorder associated with three cases of autism, and yet another found esophageal dysfunction in girls and women with Rett syndrome, a genetic form of autism. Another option for explaining at least some GI problems in autism is a non-infectious, non-inflammatory cause linked to misfires of the enteric nervous system, the ‘little brain’ that resides in your abdomen as a multiplex of nerves that indeed sometimes seem to have a mind of their own.
But confirmatory endoscopic evidence for the lower gut is scant, as far as I knew." Emily Willingham writing in the November 2012 issue of Forbes, in an article called, Specter Of Wakefield Retractions Haunts Evidence Of Gut Inflammation In Autism.
It has to do with something that I have been writing about for over two decades. I am not picking on Mrs. Willingham here, but it appears that she, along with the biggest portion of our Scientific / Medical Community, do not understand the difference between Gross Pathology and Functional Disorders. The plain truth of the matter is that lots of people have all sorts of health problems, yet have little or nothing to show for them as far as tangible evidence is concerned, linking their specific symptoms to a specific positive medical test. I can give you numerous examples of what I mean by this. Let me show you a few that I deal with every single day in my practice.
- GLUTEN SENSITIVITY -vs- FULL BLOWN CELIAC DISEASE: About one in 100 Americans has Celiac Disease. But depending on whose research you believe, as many as 1 in 3 (maybe even 1 in 2) is at least to some degree, Gluten Sensitive. Why is this only now starting to come to the forefront of progressive-minded medical doctors? It's simple. Up until recently, there was not a valid test for Gluten Sensitivity (now there is CYREX). It used to be that if you did not have a positive Intestinal Biopsy (the test for Celiac Disease), doctors believed that wheat protein (Gluten) had nothing to do with your condition. The truth is that people who are "only" Gluten Sensitive, can have worse symptoms than people who actually are full-blown Celiac.
- IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME -vs- CROHN'S DISEASE, REGIONAL ILLIITIS, ETC: This is for you Emily. How many people have serious bowl issues, yet their upper GI, lower GI, and endoscopic examinations are essentially clear? Almost all of them. We need to stop and ask ourselves why. Why, for one, are there are nearly 10,000 medical studies pertaining to INCREASED INTESTINAL PERMEABILITY, yet you never hear treating physicians talking about this nearly "UNIVERSAL" health problem?
- PEOPLE ARE OFTEN TOLD THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM SINCE THEIR PROBLEM DOES NOT SHOW UP ON AN X-RAY, CT, MRI, BLOOD WORK, ETC: How often does this happen? Let me just say that it is common. Dog common. Ridiculously common. Embarrassingly common. Especially with problems related to things like FASCIAL ADHESIONS or PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME or a host of others. In fact, lack of positive findings is the very hallmark of FIBROMYALGIA. I would venture to guess that many, if not most of the CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES that I deal with on a daily basis would fit into this category as well. There is a recent book on this idea by a man whom many would refer to as one of the world's most brilliant physicians; Datis Kharrazian. His book is called "WHY DO I STILL HAVE THYROID SYMPTOMS EVEN THOUGH MY BLOOD TESTS ARE NORMAL?".
- HEADACHES: Look no farther than headaches as another great example of this "PATHOLOGY -VS- FUNCTION" debate. People with chronic headaches will be given X-rays, brain scans / CT's / MRI's / blood work, and who-knows-what-else as far as diagnostic testing is concerned. I am not necessarily against doing this at some point in their care, but how often is an "organic pathology" such as a brain tumor or aneurysm going to be the culprit? Oh; it happens all right. But compared to the number of people who suffer from unrelenting HEADACHES, gross pathological findings as the cause of these headaches are exceedingly rare.
- SID CROSBY & DR. CARRICK'S FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGY: Nowhere is this issue of "Function-vs- Pathology" more clearly revealed than in the brain. All too often, subtle neurological dysfunctions cause tremendous amounts of pain and health-related problems --- yet leave nothing as far as everyday medical tests are concerned. One of the best examples of this phenomenon was found in story that came out of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED last year. For more information on this subject, you can also look HERE.
The truth of the matter is that if you take a moment to look at the list of CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES that I deal with in my clinic on a day-in-day-out basis, few of these problems have tests that definitively show what is going on to cause a patient's pain / dysfunction. Unfortunately, a side effect of our technological advances is that we have become so enamored with the science of doctoring, that the art of doctoring is often times left on the side of the road --- to make room for more diagnostic tests and paperwork.
Rest assured; this creates lots of angry, frustrated, and depressed patients. They know they have something darn drastically wrong with them, but 'testing' does not reveal what it is. And without gross pathological findings, the average doctor will tell you that there is nothing really wrong with you. All too often, in their eyes you are a scam artist --- a drug seeker --- or a fraud, looking to get on SSI Disability.
You want real-life proof? Just look HERE. To better understand what I am talking about. HERE is a whole series of posts I have written on the MYTH OF EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE. Understanding the difference between dysfunction and pathology is critical as far as understanding the paradox of modern medicine. On one hand, our technological advances bring so much promise. On the other hand; when when that promise does not pan out the way it was supposed to, improved health becomes a pipe dream. The millions of you who have lived or are living this right now, know what I am talking about.
MORE AUTISM / GUT HEALTH INFORMATION
In our study, we have demonstrated a marked increase in neuroglial responses, characterized by activation of microglia and astroglia, in the brains of autistic patients. These increased neuroglial responses are likely part of neuroinflammatory reactions associated with the Central Nervous System's (CNS) innate immune system. In innate immune reactions of the CNS, microglial activation is the main cellular response to CNS dysfunction.
"Certainly, a lot of these children had peculiar cravings for high-carbohydrate foods that caused their behaviours"
"One very striking piece of evidence many of us have noticed is that when autistic children go in for certain diagnostic tests and are told not to eat or drink anything ahead of time, parents often report their child’s symptoms improve—until they start eating again after the procedure. If symptoms can improve in such a short time frame simply by avoiding exposure to foods, then we’re looking at some kind of chemically driven ‘software’—perhaps immune system signals—that can change fast."
By and large, the average medical doctor is tackling this issue of Clostridium overgrowth as well as other forms of Dysbiosis with their old standby. Since the dysbiotic overgrowth is so often a bacteria, they usually start by prescribing ANTIBIOTICS ---- the very thing that caused the infection in the first place. Because this has not worked out so well, they are now looking in a different direction to solve this problem. They are looking into something else believed by many to be heavily involved in creating this whole mess. They are looking to create new vaccines.
Professors at Guelph University in Canada have teamed up with Stellar Biotechnologies of California to create yet another vaccination ---- this one against Clostridium. There are many different bacteria in the Clostridium family. There is Clostridum Difficele, which we have already mentioned. There is Clostridium Botulinum, which causes Botulism. And the one most-associated with Autism right now is called Clostridim Bolteae. Chemistry professor, Dr. Mario Monteiro, had this to say about their work.
"Based on our experience with our polysaccharide C. diff. vaccine, we are confident that we can apply the same approach to create a vaccine to control diarrhea caused by C. bolteae and perhaps control autism-related symptoms."
"Well, my first paper was published in 1951. It was based on work I did as a medical student in the late ‘40s and we finally had enough data to publish it in ’51. And at that point, my wife and I and another medical student all agreed to take some antibiotics to see what the impact would be on the bowel flora, and so we documented changes, even with the crude techniques available at that time. Now, I’ve been at it ever since then. Our first anaerobe entered our stock collection in 1957, but we were working with them for several years before that..........
Antibiotics have an impact on the bowel flora. Virtually all of them do. Some, when given systemically, do not enter the bowel, so they would not, but most antibiotics, even given systemically, are secreted into the bowel to some extent. So, virtually all the time that we use antibiotics, one of the lesser-known problems with antibiotic use is that they do impact the bowel flora. The bowel flora, we’re finding out more and more in recent years, does a number of amazing things for the body. Our innate immunity is developed by virtue to exposure from bacteria living in the gut. And we know now that at least some forms of obesity are related to changes in the bacterial flora from the norm. We don’t know that antibiotics are involved in that particular problem, but they certainly seem to be in autism and clearly are in Clostridium difficile-associated colitis...........
We think that bacteria are very important in autism, as I mentioned, and knowing what bacteria do in other circumstances, it’s easy to visualize spread of these bacteria to siblings of autistic children. And we do see now more multiple cases in families than we did before and an increased frequency of autism, probably because of spread of these organisms by way of the environment and even direct transfer from one person to another"
STILL MORE ON THE LINK BETWEEN
GUT HEALTH AND AUTISM
"I think it [Autism] is pretty common. I think it may be more common than not. Certainly, in my experience, it's been more common than not. People come to me because they know that I'm interested, but I think that probably the majority of people have some part of it."
"I think that there are a number of different levels for hostility. One of them is, medical doctors are trained to believe that drugs are more efficacious than remedies like diet. There's a strong prejudice against diet and nutritional interventions. Another thing is that the parents are not doing this under the control or guidance of their medical professionals. And that is a problem...... If you think of the brain as being affected by the whole body, then when you affect the body, you can affect the brain. And that's the rationale of what the parents are doing.... The brain and the immune system and the gut are intimately related. The cells in those systems have common features. They work together seamlessly, and when you disregulate one, you disregulate all the others. And systems biology is a way of looking at how we work as an integrated whole. I think that's 21st-century biology. To be honest with you, I think that parents have beat medicine to Systems Biology."
TOP TEN WAYS TO RESTORE THE
IMMUNE SYSTEM / GUT / BRAIN / AXIS
IN PEOPLE WITH AUTISM
- DO YOUR RESEARCH, MAKE A WRITTEN PLAN, AND FOLLOW YOUR PLAN: Do not think that you can rely solely on my material in doing this. A written plan will help you figure out what needs to be done and help keep you on track as far as doing it is concerned. I have presented you nothing more than a generalized outline. There is a wealth of information on this topic online. If you will dedicate to spending some regular time on this issue, it will not be long before you are more knowledgeable about it than your doctor --- much more knowledgeable.
- SERIOUSLY STUDY THE VACCINE ISSUE: Listen people. There is simply too much evidence out there to ignore this issue any longer (just look at the previous link). I do not really care what your doctor tells you. When it comes to this matter, they are a cog in an agenda-driven wheel ---- and the agenda is putting money in Big Pharma's pockets. Do your own research. Be aware that even though the majority of the doctors quoted for this post are not against government-mandated Vaccination Policies, when questioned, they would almost universally admit that we are learning things about the Immune System that were totally unknown just a few short years ago. This means that VACCINATIONS might pose a bigger threat than we ever dreamed possible --- particularly in certain genetic populations. My goal is not to convince you that Vaccines are universally bad. My goal is to get you to actually do some research into the matter yourself. Educated decisions are generally good decisions.
- DO NOT TAKE ANTIBIOTICS OR EAT FOOD THAT WAS TREATED WITH ANTIBIOTICS: If you understand half of what you just read, the thought of taking ANTIBIOTICS should scare the living daylights out of you. And rightly so. Despite the fact that many think I am a half-crazed lunatic, I have been warning people for decades that Antibiotics are one of the single biggest destroyers of health in America. Hopefully after reading this post, you begin to understand why.
- CUT OUT THE GRAINS (GLUTEN), THE DAIRY, AND THE GLUTEN CROSS-REACTORS FROM YOUR DIET: This is not exactly easy. But Dr. McBride's GAPS Diet gives you a blueprint to follow. Oh; and do not go on a Gluten Free ELIMINATION DIET without first understanding what GLUTEN CROSS-REACTORS are.
- EAT A CLEAN, WHOLE FOOD BASED DIET: This is the starting point for just about any health problem that you try to tackle without drugs or surgery. HERE is some good general information on this topic. I almost always recommend PALEO.
- THERE ARE SPECIFIC NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS THAT HELP WITH AUTISM: Some of the most common include things like PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE FISH OIL, Glutathione, and Probiotics (more on this one in a moment). But be aware, Autism sometimes requires extremely specialized supplements that can only be determined via metabolic testing. Also understand that supplements cannot replace a healthy diet of clean, organic, meats and vegetables.
- UNDERSTAND THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN GUT HEALTH, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, DYSBIOSIS, AND THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM: Although I have covered all four of these to some degree in this post, HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE. If you understand the information in these links, you can successfully deal with virtually any health problem under the sun.
- TAKE HSO PROBIOTICS: Antibiotics kill bacteria. PROBIOTICS restore the good bacteria. Just understand that all Probiotics are not alike. You need a broad-spectrum HSO product that contains the same bacteria found in healthy organic soil. Along these same lines, I would suggest that you eat fermented foods. The more good bacteria you can get into your Gut, the better off you are as far as your health is concerned.
- HELP STRENGTHEN THE BRAIN AND NERVE SYSTEM: CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS can help with this, as can BRAIN-BASED THERAPY. I would also suggest a version of the Interactive Metronome for your home computer as well. Again; the internet is a wealth of information on restoring brain function. Use it.
- BE AWARE THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE TOO CLEAN: Sounds crazy, but it's true. Many of us are just too darn clean. In the same way that Antibiotics create Antibiotic-resistance, so dos constant use of things like too many showers, Antibacterial soap, Antimicrobial hand sanitizers, and other similar products. I wrote on this topic a couple of years ago (HERE). Let your kids get out and get dirty --- no, I mean really dirty. Better yet, have them help you in the garden.
- CHEMICAL EXPOSURE CAN KILL THE GOOD BACTERIA LIVING IN YOUR GUT: This could be in the form of CHLORINE / FLUORIDE from the water you use, pollution in the air, or toxins in the foods you eat. Chemicals are rarely a good thing as far as health is concerned.
- GET TESTED / SEE A SPECIALIST IN THE FIELD: Whoa, whoa, whoa. I did not tell you to go see the first medical doctor in the phone book. You'll likely get more of the same old status quo that you have been getting for who knows how long. You need to find someone (preferably a chiropractor with training in Functional Neurology) who understands Functional Medicine. Although I know several of these sorts of people, I have attended a couple of conferences put on by a medical doctor in the St. Louis area who specializes in treating children with vaccine damage and ASD (Dr. Amy Davis-Wright of Crossing Back to Health).
She went to her doctor a while back and told him that she had taken herself off the pain meds --- she did not need them anymore as she was doing great without them. She figured he would be thrilled. Amazingly enough, her doctor became visibly ticked off and "fired" her for doing this without his permission. I told her good riddance. She needs to find a doctor who would rejoice with her after finding a solution to such a long-standing problem. Every doctor should want their patient off of hardcore drugs. If that is not their wish or goal, it may be time to find a new doctor.
MYTHS AND TRUTHS ABOUT OBESITY
"When the public, mass media, government agencies, and even academic scientists espouse unsupported beliefs, the result may be ineffective policy, unhelpful or unsafe clinical and public health recommendations, and an unproductive allocation of resources." Dr. David Allison and his team, from the latest issue of NEJM
As you'll quickly notice, it seems that almost everyone is trying to help the doctors on Dr. Allison's team scrape by to the end of the month. This study is so financially conflicted (COI), it's almost impossible to know where to begin. But this is nothing new in the field of medical research (HERE). If you really think that individuals being paid good money by Big Pharma (GLAXOSMITHKLINE, PFIZER, Eli Lilly & Company, Merck, and several others others), Big Mac (McDonald's), Big Sugar (Coke, Pepsi, Red Bull, World Sugar Research Organization, Wrigley, and Mars), Big Dairy (Global Dairy Platform / European Dairy Foundation / International Dairy Foundation), Big Beef (The American Cattleman's Association), Big GRAIN (General Mills / ADM / United Soybean Board / Northarvest Bean Growers Association), Big Brew (The Knowledge Institute for Beer), Big Insurance, (Aetna), and Big People trying to get smaller (Jenny Craig), can be trusted to provide unbiased conclusions, I have some ocean front property in Arizona that I would just looooooove to sell you ---- cheap! This is the reason it is difficult to trust anything coming out of the medical community (look at the link above on EBM)!
The truth is, these doctors should be embarrassed to put their name on something this conflicted. And NEJM should be embarrassed to publish something this conflicted as 'research'. But hey; even embarrassment has its price. By the way, What you are going to see is not the actual Disclosure Statement from NEJM --- it's incomplete. The actual Disclosure Statement only comes if you pay for the full version of the study.
THE DISCLOSURE STATEMENT
TOP TEN OBESITY MYTHS LIST
- GENETIC FACTORS ARE THE BE ALL, END ALL CONCERNING ONE'S WEIGHT: Who would deny that genes are not a significant factor in this whole issue of body weight and body types. However, we have learned from the field of EPIGENETICS that there are any number of factors that have the ability to turn genes off or on. In other words, we are not defined solely by our genome to nearly the extent we have been led to believe. However, the 'my-genes-made-me-do-it' excuse became quite popular over the past few decades. Because it is so easily used and is shrouded in a form of scientific mystique that few people really understand, it tends to be the major cop out for those who are unwilling to radically change their lifestyles. In fact, it's become a convenient excuse for just about anything and everything.
- IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT, JUST RESTRICT YOUR CALORIES: Listen up folks. I busted this myth just a couple weeks ago with a blog post called, OBESITY AND YOUR ENDOCRINE SYSTEM. Just prior to that, I dealt with SUGAR & CARB ADDICTIONS and their effect on weight. If you want to get serious about losing weight, you had better understand that restricting calories (or even counting calories), is going to get you nowhere fast. If you are serious about losing weight and getting in great physical condition, HERE is the way to do it.
- EXERCISE IS A HUGE FACTOR IN ONE'S WEIGHT: While I believe that there is certainly merit in looking into the "mythology" of this statement, just YESTERDAY I told you that getting in shape and staying in shape (maintaining your optimal weight) is probably 90% diet and 10% exercise. Many people, however, seem to have these numbers reversed in their heads. The truth is, many people train themselves to death, causing undue ADRENAL STRESS and elevating their Cortisol in the process. How do you avoid this issue? You simply TRAIN SMARTER. I am getting ready to do a blog post on this very topic from a recent article in Outdoors Magazine on the training methods of Brian Mackenzie of CrossFit Endurance called The Agony and the Heresy.
- SEX BURNS BETWEEN 100 AND 300 CALORIES: All I can say is what a way to train! Unfortunately, it is a shame that this is a myth. The average sexual encounter is going to burn far fewer calories than this. But then again; who wants to be average? If you are having problems in this area, READ THIS.
- GETTING PARENTS INVOLVED CAN HELP A CHILD LOSE WEIGHT OR MAINTAIN A NORMAL WEIGHT: I am not sure I am buying that this is necessarily a myth --- especially if people are parenting like they ought to be parenting. However, in too many households, the inmates are running the asylum, choosing to eat a diet of whatever they can con mom into buying for them. Unfortunately, most children don't yet see the wisdom in choosing Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli over Big Macs, Twinkies, and Coca Cola. Too many parents are unknowingly promoting unhealthy foods as healthy foods --- or simply giving there kids whatever they want. There is no doubt in my mind that lots of parents are MAKING THEIR KIDS FAT and AUTOIMMUNE.
- SCHOOL P.E. LEADS TO WEIGHT LOSS: Although it has been a long time since I was in PE, I must admit that PE was rarely physically taxing. But even if it were, trying to overcome SCHOOL LUNCHES can be a real challenge. Parents, get your kids active from the time they are little. Seriously limit screen time and whatever is necessary to move --- and no; I am not promoting Michelle here.
- MEAL REPLACEMENTS OR SPECIFIC FOODS WILL HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT: Oh, they'll help you lose weight all right. Just not for the long haul. Not to pick on the woman, but Oprah can personally vouch that this is a myth. Look ,for instance, at the meal replacement drink Ensure. It is a 10 oz bottle with enough sugar in it to start an ant farm ---- 40 grams. Not only will this stuff not help you lose weight over the long haul, it is only a short matter of time before the folks who FAIL TO CONTROL THEIR BLOOD SUGAR have gained it all back ---- and then some.
- STOMACH STAPLING / REDUCING SURGERIES HELP PEOPLE LOSE WEIGHT FOR THE LONG TERM, WHILE LOWERING THE DEATH RATE AND PREVENTING DIABETES: These surgeries are a risky endeavor (HERE). I personally know people who have had their lives messed up by this surgery. Think long and hard before going under the knife in the hopes of losing weight. Despite that fact that doctors are using "research" to promote it, the internet is full of websites and message boards warning against it. Hopefully, this post gave you a taste of how conflicted some of these research projects are.
- WEIGHT LOSS DRUGS ARE A SAFE AND EFFECTIVE WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT: This is a no-brainer that I have addressed before (HERE). Many of these drugs are similar to the Methamphetamine-like drugs used to treat ADHD such as Ritalin or Adderall.
- BREAST FEEDING PROMOTES WEIGHT LOSS: I do not hear this one floating around as much as I used to. I would assume though, that there is probably some degree of truth to this statement if a woman is eating a healthy diet.
- RAPID WEIGHT LOSS IS UNHEALTHY: It does not really depend on how rapidly you lose the weight, it depends on how you lose weight rapidly. HERE is a safe and effective way to lose 100 lbs in 100 days. No; I have never used it myself. No; not everyone is going to lose 100 lbs in 100 days on this protocol. But the concept is simple, and I endorse it wholeheartedly.
- THE STUDY'S CONCLUSIONS? "False and scientifically unsupported beliefs about obesity are pervasive in both scientific literature and the popular press." Yes it's true; and it's not just true about this particular study. The scientific literature is chocked full of BS that cannot be trusted under the best of circumstances. And under the worst of circumstances.......? How do you call science, science, when it is as obviously bought and paid for as this study is? I'm a capitalist. I do not want to take away anyone's right to earn a good living. However, despite the fact that I believe most of this study is right on the money, the obvious Conflicts of Interest that were present, should, at the very least, raise some red flags concerning its validity.
RICK -vs- RUSS
MANO A MANO
1ST ANNUAL "HOLIDAY CHALLENGE" RIPPED-TO-SHREDS CONTEST
As I began to think about it, I started wondering what it would take for Rick and I to raise more than the $100 that the loser pays to the winner's charity (orphanage) of choice. HERE is what the contest has morphed in to (make sure to read the comment from Rick at the bottom of the page). Don't get me wrong; when it comes to our contest, neither one of us wants to come in second (i.e. lose). But winning is no longer the real thrust of this thing. In fact, over $1000 dollars has already been pledged to the cause because two middle aged doofs decided to show off their pecs. But instead of just a thousand dollars, wouldn't it be really cool to raise thousands of dollars (plural) for these Christian Schools / Orphanages? Make sure you exercise your right to vote, and then send your donations to Bethlehem Christian Academy, P.O. Box 483, West Plains, MO 65775; or Orphanage Emanuel, 715 Moores Mill Drive, Auburn, AL, 36830.
both of our families are relentlessly devoted to helping as many children as possible attain better lives, educations, skills, and Biblical understanding, by supporting Christian orphanages. I know that many of you reading this post have been to the third world. A few are either currently living in, or have previously lived there yourselves. You know what it's like. Living conditions are frequently day-to-day and hand-to-mouth. It's a harsh reality for those caught in the grasp of unrelenting poverty, hunger, disease, and cruddy governments. And unlike America where everyone has a fighting chance to make a better life for themselves, there are places in the world where this sort of betterment is not really possible without some outside intervention. Enter people like Victor Chibangula and Dave & Lydia Martinez.
The above-mentioned people are Godly visionaries who gave up worldly fortunes in order to heed the message of James 1:27 and devote their lives to the care of widows and orphans. They are in charge of the respective orphanages mentioned previously. If you feel like God is tugging at your heart to make a donation, please do it. The donations are tax deductible and I can assure you that what you donate goes directly toward running these facilities. On an exciting note; the Winslow family will be returning from Addis Ababa tomorrow (Sat) with Nathaniel. Marty began discussions with an individual he met there with a vision to start a work in Addis that is similar to BCA Zambia.
A MOTIVATIONAL NOTE FROM RICK BURRIS, OWNER OF LEADERS FUEL
IF THIS DOES NOT GET YOU PERSONALLY PUMPED UP, NOTHING WILL!
For several years I knew that I needed to do something about the direction of my health.. The truth was I really did not want to commit the mental energy I knew was necessary to sustain a true lifestyle change. Like 90% of the population I allowed marriage, parenthood and the pressures of work life to be standby excuses why I just didn't have the bandwidth to include exercise and healthy eating into my busy life.
During those years, however, something more than my gut was swelling inside of me. I knew better health was possible and I knew I would get serious about it eventually. Somewhere inside me an athlete was sleeping. I just knew it. I had to wake him up someday. Throughout those years I had off and on spurts of working out for two weeks but each time I just petered out. After Christmas of 2011 I finally had enough.
I returned home from the holiday trip in the worst condition of my life. I was tipping the scales at numbers I never expected to see. My sleep patterns were terrible. It was not uncommon for me to go several days on about 4 hours of sleep per night. Climbing two flights of stairs left me breathless. For a few months prior to that Christmas I was getting frequent pains shooting up my neck. Not a good sign for someone with family history of heart disease. Generally, I felt awful - all of the time. By the time the holiday trip was over I was angry. Someday had come.
2012 A NEW YEAR! started the year with a a 10-day lemon detox. At the same time my wife and I started the P90X workout. (Probably not recommended to start both on the same day but I knew I needed something drastic to make this stick.) I gave up alcohol. Thankfully, I was not a pop drinker but I loved my ice tea. It had to go because the caffeine was getting in the way of my sleep. I had been taking fish oil for a few years but this time I began taking pharmaceutical grade fish oil. Each morning I drink greens (I have tried about four different kinds) with ground flax seed.
We kept up the P90X until the beginning of May. In May I moved up to Camp for the summer. I was very active throughout the summer months but did not do a regular exercise program. This fall we started the Insanity program. I had to lay off the program due to a back issue but I still do it occasionally and use exercises from the workouts. The other issue I have been trying to address is sugar. Giving up alcohol and caffeinated drinks has been a walk in the park compared to sugar and carbs. My intake of both has decreased drastically but I am still working on this one.
At one point during the year I had lost a little over 30 pounds. I have bounced back up 10 but, honestly, I don't focus so much on the scales but rather on how I feel and what I can do now that I couldn't before. My sleep is much closer to where it should be. The stresses of my work life have certainly not diminished but my outlook is much more positive because I have more energy to face them. I am enjoying my family life much more and I feel ready to do many physical activities without fear. Looking forward the all that 2013 brings.
Best wishes for good health!
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration