AMERICA'S WAR ON CANCER
"The War on Cancer refers to the effort to find a cure for cancer by increased research to improve the understanding of cancer biology and the development of more effective cancer treatments, such as targeted drug therapies. The signing of the National Cancer Act of 1971 by then U.S. President Richard Nixon is generally viewed as the beginning of the war on cancer, though it was not described as a "war" in the legislation itself" -Wikipedia
"With $200 billion spent and tens of millions of cancer deaths accumulated since 1971, most would say we are losing the war on cancer. Cancer is the top killer worldwide, responsible for 7.4 million or 13 percent of all deaths annually. In America cancer will soon overtake heart disease as the top killer, claiming more than half million lives annually." Christopher Wanjek from the July 14, 2009 issue of Livescience, (40 Years After Moon Landing: Why Can't We Cure Cancer)?
"The 'lack of consistent nutritional guidelines' for cancer patients -- and for many other patients as well -- is a failing that needs to be confronted, and corrected, by us as clinicians." CNN health correspondent, neurosurgeon, professor of neurosurgery at Emory University, and associate chief of the neurosurgery service at Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta), Sanjay Gupta, MD.
"Every New Year when the government publishes its Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer, it is followed by a familiar lament. We are losing the war against cancer." George Johnson from a January 4, 2014 article in the New York Times called Why Everyone Seems to Have Cancer.
“More money by itself is not going to solve anything.” Cancer survivor, editor or Fortune Magazine, and author of the book The Truth In Small Doses: Why We’re Losing The War on Cancer — and How to Win It:
“It’s the food, people!” - Bill Maher
My personal opinion is that despite certain individuals winning their personal battle with CANCER, as a nation, we seem to be losing the war (cancer has jumped up to a neck-and-neck position with Cardiovascular Disease for the top spot as our nation's number one killer). Off the top of my head and in no particular order, here are a few of the reasons that I think we will not, at least in the foreseeable future, get a handle on our nation's cancer problem.
- DEFEATING CANCER IS NOT JUST A MONEY ISSUE: Doggone it people; if we could just raise more money we could cure cancer! Even though this is what we have been told our whole lives, it's simply not true. In the same way that Big Government has fought and lost other similar 'wars' (LBJ's War on Poverty and Disease comes immediately to mind), more money does not always equal better results. It's chiefly the government (the American taxpayer) who is funding this war against cancer; and the truth is, there might be something the government does better than the private sector --- I just haven't figured out what it is yet. Either way --- whether it's public research dollars or private research dollars being used --- you are soon going to see why cancer is not just a "raise-more-money" issue (HERE).
- CANCER IS NOT JUST ONE SINGLE DISEASE: One of the things that most people do not realize is that cancer is not just one single disease. It is a whole host of different diseases (there are literally hundreds of types of cancer) with different causes (ionizing radiation, chemical exposure, viruses, molds / fungus, crappy diet, SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATION, etc, etc, etc). The common denominator is that they all end up with the body in a state of runaway cell growth and division. Even though there are certain areas where we have made great strides against certain types of cancer, there is never going to be that "magic bullet" solution for 'cancer' that so many people dream of and discuss.
- TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON GENETICS / NOT ENOUGH EMPHASIS ON EPIGENETICS: Just a few short years ago, people thought that genetics were going to be the solution to almost everything that could go wrong with a person's health --- including cancer. What are we now seeing? We have learned that in many (if not most) cases, EPIGENETICS trumps genetics in a big way. In other words, although "bad" genes may be present, they do not cause problems until they are triggered by "bad" lifestyle choices. I believe that one of the reasons people love the "genetics" point so much, is that it relieves us of personal responsibility, while scape-goating our ancestors. Epigenetics puts the onus back on us.
- TOO MANY PEOPLE STILL SMOKE AND TAKE TOO MANY PRESCRIPTION DRUGS: If you SMOKE and / or take lots of DRUGS (prescription, non-prescription, or recreational), you are exposing yourself to lots of chemicals. Guess what folks? Chemical exposure is one of the medically-recognized causes of cancer. In fact, if you want to give yourself the willies, take a moment to look at the research on chemotherapy as a cancer-causing agent.
- WE IGNORE THE RESEARCH AND RESULTS OF THOSE WHO FIGURED MUCH OF THIS OUT A CENTURY AGO: Just look at the work of MAX GERSON (a medical doctor who cured case after case after case of cancer --- nutritionally). Then there's OTTO WARBURG (a German biochemist whose Nobel Prize was based on his 1931 discovery that cancer cells survive via fermentation, and that the primary fuel for this process is sugar (HERE). These and numerous other pioneers are simply blown off as irrelevant fuddy duddies of a bygone era. After all, we are sooooo much smarter today than people used to be --- aren't we? If you really believe that, take a couple hours to review the writings of our Founding Fathers.
- IN THE WAR AGAINST CANCER, NUTRITION MATTERS: This is 2014. Should I really need to tell you that nutrition matters in the battle against cancer? If you read THIS POST, you will quickly realize that yes; I do. Unfortunately, most doctors know very little about nutrition (HERE), and because of this, do virtually nothing to help you combat cancer nutritionally. It's all about drugs and surgery. My humble opinion is that even if you are going to go the conventional route in your battle against the "Big C", would it not make sense to feed your body OPTIMALLY?
- INFLAMMATION AND THE CRAPPY AMERICAN DIET: This one, folks, encompasses a lot of ground. Although everyone thinks they know what INFLAMMATION is, I don't find one person in 1,000 (even those in the healthcare community) who really has a clue. Click on the link and you'll see how Inflammation is the basis for virtually every single major disease process in America ---- including Cancer. Although there are many charlatans out there trying to sell you a boatload of Nutritional Supplements to "cure" your cancer, some COMMON SENSE CHANGES to your diet can be a difference maker --- particularly before you develop the disease. Sure, there might be some supplements that could seriously benefit you and your particular condition. But if you do not get your diet under control and start to figure out what other aspects of your life are 'driving' inflammation, true health will be elusive.
- UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR: No two ways about it, we eat way too much sugar and High Glycemic Index (simple) carbohydrates here in America. Part of the problem is that ALMOST EVERY DISEASE YOU CAN IMAGINE (including cancer -- HERE) is being tied directly back to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar. This is even true in those who have not (yet) been diagnosed with Diabetes (HERE). In the same way that a smoker can count on dying a long, drawn out, painful death; if you can't get your SUGAR HABIT under control, you will likely be looking forward to similar. Deal with blood sugar or expect to be dealing with an increasing array of health-related problems as you get older. Many of these health problems will keep you from ever reaching a ripe old age. Or maybe even worse, they have the power make your time here on earth utterly miserable (HERE).
- OBESITY: Unfortunately, OBESITY has been linked to almost every type of Cancer (including BREAST CANCER). 75% of our population is either overweight or obese if you count those who are MONW.
- TOTAL LACK OF UNDERSTANDING ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF GUT HEALTH: Even though 80% of your entire Immune System is found in your Gut (HERE), few people are aware of this or have any idea about GUT HEALTH and why it is so critical for your overall health. Once you understand that LEAKY GUT SYNDROME is one of the foundations of almost all disease processes, you'll begin to wonder why you have not heard this information before. On top of that, unless we are making a concerted effort to the contrary, many of us are literally swimming in a sea of ANTIBIOTICS --- a class of drug that has done more to destroy our collective Gut Health than almost anything else in America (HERE).
- WE DON'T EXERCISE OR MOVE ANYMORE: Not that exercise or physical activity is going to keep you from getting Cancer, but there is ample evidence telling us that it is a beneficial part of the puzzle.
- OUR BODY SYSTEMS ARE TOXIC: We are over-exposed to chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, MERCURY, MOLD, ALUMINUM, SYNTHETIC HORMONES, cleaners, cosmetics / perfumes, GLUTEN, and so many other things, that our Immune Systems are on overload and our livers cannot purge it from our bodies fast enough.
- WE ARE STRESSED OUT: We live in a pedal-to-the-metal society that frequently leaves us feeling like a dog chasing its tail. This not only leads to FIBROMYALGIA / ADRENAL FATIGUE, but to SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE as well. The result is a grab bag of diseases straight out of Pandora's Box ---- one of which is cancer.
- THERE IS SIMPLY TOO MUCH MONEY AT STAKE: I get it. This sounds suspiciously like something a conspiracy theorist would say over a cup of coffee down at Flo's. However, if you still don't believe that the modern practice of "Corporate Medicine" is largely about money, you have not been paying attention. HERE are a few of the posts I've written over the past couple of years on the myth of Evidence-Based Medicine. Take a couple minutes to scan over them and you'll quickly realize I'm more correct than incorrect. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that most doctors are greedy, money-mongering, heartless, saps. What I am saying is that the system itself is so filthy, one can't swim in it and not come out seriously tainted / jaded / changed.
The bottom line is that there is no "cure" for Cancer. I certainly hope I am wrong, but I'm not convinced there ever will be. Either the body heals itself, or it doesn't. It's really that simple. Sure, there are things we can do, both naturally or conventionally, to help boost our chances. But neither medicine nor money will save you if your body and Immune System are weak. So why not work at keeping them both strong?
Don't wait until you receive "The Diagnosis" to start doing something about this ugly problem. What are my recommendations? Easy. It will help you to come to the realization that even though every individual person is a little bit different and will require a unique approach, ALL DISEASE is really one big thing. Once you understand this, you have a much greater chance of defeating Cancer --- or better yet; preventing it before it ever starts. And if you understand the information in the link, you'll quickly realize that the same basic protocol is going to help you deal with virtually all health-related problems. MS? Same essential protocol. Lupus? Not much different. Heart Disease? I'm starting to sound redundant.
- PALEO DIET: I keep hearing from certain corners how bad meat is for you --- particularly if you have cancer. I'm not buying it. Especially in light of the new research on CANCER AND KETOGENIC DIETS. The diet I recommend for almost anyone with Chronic Illness is some version or another of PALEO. Read the link to understand why. You may want to read about the sugar-starving KETOGENIC DIET as well.
- EXERCISE, AND DO IT SMARTER: THESE LINKS will show you the right way and wrong ways to go about exercising. Don't worry if you can only do a little right now. It's OK. Keep after it and things will change.
- LOSE THE EXCESS WEIGHT: This is doubly true for those of you with significant amounts of BELLY FAT. If you read and follow the advice in THESE POSTS (and as long as you don't have some sort of AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE, hidden anemia, or other chronic health issue), you will lose weight. If you chose to ignore your weight, you have an uphill battle in your "war" against cancer.
If you already have Cancer, educate yourself ---- and not just with the standard line sold by conventional medicine. Preventing cancer --- or even holistically treating people with cancer (whether using conventional therapies or not) --- is, in many ways, not that much different than TREATING PEOPLE STRUGGLING WITH AUTOIMMUNITY or any number of other SERIOUS DISEASES? Do I treat cancer in my clinic? Of course not (disclaimer below)! But, if I personally had Cancer, the person I would seek out is Dr. Kevin Conner of Vadnais Heights, Minnesota. Brilliant Christian guy who has devoted his life to helping people struggling with this and other nasty chronic illnesses (he has numerous books available for free download, including, "Stop Fighting Cancer, and Start Treating the Cause".
INVISIBLE AND ABANDONED STUDIES PART II
THE SORDID STORY OF TAMIFLU
“It is not enough that trial results are seen in secret, behind closed doors, by regulators alone: especially when, as with Tamiflu, regulators around the world disagree about the benefits of a treatment. It is also not clear that even regulators see everything. It is particularly concerning to see that the MHRA seems to have told the Committee that regulators had all the information on all trials on Tamiflu. The evidence to the Committee from the Cochrane Collaboration shows that was not the case. We are only able to see this apparent discrepancy because the evidence for Tamiflu has now been subject to half a decade of intensive investigative work by several groups around the globe. This is extremely concerning, and the problem for other treatments may be even greater.... Future generations will look back at this absurd situation in the same way that we look back on medieval bloodletting" Dr Ben Goldacre from a recent article called, Public Accounts Committee Issues Damning Report on Clinical Trial Results Being Withheld.
"We were surprised and concerned to discover that information is routinely withheld from doctors and researchers about the methods and results of clinical trials on treatments currently prescribed in the United Kingdom." House of Commons London in a report called "The Stationery Office Limited House of Commons Committee of Public Accounts Access to Clinical Trial Information and the Stockpiling of Tamiflu".
"Oseltamivir's benefits in those who are otherwise healthy do not appear to outweigh its risks..... [and] no benefit has been found in those with other health problems" Coenen, B; Van Puyenbroeck, K; Verhoeven, V; Vermeire, E; Coenen, S (2013). "The Value of Neuraminidase Inhibitors for the Prevention and Treatment of Seasonal Influenza: a Systematic Review of Systematic Reviews" from Dr. Tom Jefferson's article on the subject in PloS one.
Just days ago, the British Parliament released a scathing report on this problem of "Invisible Studies" as pertains to a product called TAMIFLU (Oseltamivir --- an antiviral marketed for its supposed ability to prevent or slow the spread of Flu within one's body, once you are already sick). It seems that for years, Tamiflu manufacturer, Roche, has been withholding pertinent information concerning the safety of this drug. Some of the things that we know from the studies on Tamiflu that were not buried aren't any too complimentary of the drug either. Here is a quote from one such study. "It does not appear to change the rate of complications from influenza, such as the risk of hospitalization or pneumonia. However, it can increase rates of vomiting." Yay. Not only does it not help, the additional puking leaves you wondering if the cure was worse than the disease! We see similar types of situations with lots of our nation's DRUGS.
When you couple the ethical problems associated with developing and licensing so many of these prescription drugs and the studies used to approve them, with the fact that only about 1-10% of drug reactions are ever reported to the proper authorities (HERE and HERE), you have a brewing catastrophe on your hands. And sooner or later this catastrophe is going to affect people's lives --- running over them like a runaway freight train. Interestingly enough, just last week, I put up A COUPLE OF POSTS concerning this very thing. The problem is, getting politicians to do anything about this problem is a real challenge because, as I just mentioned, they're all in bed together. Case in point. Donald Rumsfeld.
Over the course of his career, Rumsfeld, the Secretary of Defense under both Gerald Ford and George W. Bush bounced back and forth between the private and public sectors like a kangaroo on a pogo stick. Has this been profitable for him to be on both sides of the industry? Just read the appalling HISTORY OF ASPARTAME and decide that for yourself. Or you could read a couple of tidbits about his involvement with Tamiflu, below.
"In January 1997, Donald Rumsfeld, a Board member since 1988, was appointed Chairman of the company [Gilead Science, the developer of Tamiflu]. He stood down from the Board in January 2001 when appointed United States Secretary of Defense at the start of George W. Bush's first term as President. Federal disclosure forms indicate that Rumsfeld owned between US$5 million and US$25 million in Gilead stock. The rise in Gilead's share prices from US$35 to US$57 per share will have added between US$2.5 million to US$15.5 million to Rumsfeld's net worth." Taken from a Halloween 2005 article on CNN Money by By Nelson D. Schwartz, of Fortune (Rumsfeld's Growing Stake in Tamiflu).
WHIPLASH AND CAR WRECKS
COMMON, BUT NOT THE ONLY WAY
When the head is 'whipped' violently back and forth, not only is there the propensity for injury to the FASCIA, there is significant chance of ending up with MTBI (Mild Traumatic Brain Injury). The problem with MTBI is that it opens the gates to all sorts of other health-related problems because it actually helps create AUTOIMMUNE REACTIONS within the body. This leads to the wild array of "bizarre and seemingly unrelated symptoms" that famous whiplash researchers Gargan & Bannister discussed in the conclusions of some of their ongoing studies. This means that not only might you be dealing with LOCAL FASCIAL ADHESIONS, but SYSTEMIC FASCIAL ADHESIONS (or SYSTEMIC TENDINOSIS or some other SYSTEMIC PAIN SYNDROME) as well.
If you are interested in delving deeper into this issue and figuring out a starting point for getting your life back, HERE are several posts which are related.
HELPING THOSE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
Hello Dr. Russ!
I just wanted to thank you for all of the help you gave me last year. I am not cured but now my extreme pain usually only occurs with activity. My constant pain is usually in my neck and left arm, vs. severe pain in my neck down thru the shoulders to both wrists, upper chest, spine and ribs.
What we resolved -
- Constant extreme pain down my spine and in ALL of my ribs. The rib pain was so horrible I can't even believe it was real. It ran thru my entire rib- from the spine to the center of my chest... it was truly unbearable
- I couldn't hold my head up... I was wearing a tempurpedic neck brace to drive around and wore it to the airport and your office.
- I was not able to wear a seat belt without pain in my chest!
- Constant pain down my arms AND wrists. I have about 5 spots on my left arm and two on my right although the pain in the right arm is very minor (pain increases quickly with activity). I am very glad my wrists are much better!
- My shoulder pain (front tip of both shoulders) is virtually gone but occasionally occurs with activity
Sincerely, John P. Texas
ERODING HEALTHCARE FREEDOMS
AN UPDATE ON DREONNA BRETON'S SITUATION
".....you'll need to read between the lines to get the full impact of what you are really being told. This is your government, who obviously knows best, gently preparing constituents / parents for what is surely coming ---- forced vaccinations. That's right --- once the government is paying for everyone's healthcare, they have the "right" to tell you how to live out every detail of your life --- including how you will raise your children." Dr Russell Schierling, from a 3/23/2013 post called, HPV: To Vaccinate or not Vaccinate (HERE).
"Although I probably should have called Dreonna for a personal interview (occasionally I manage to beat the the big boys to a scoop on hot-button issues), it is likely that Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc, will soon be carrying this story or stories just like it. Rest assured that when they do, Dreonna (or whomever they chose to interview for their story) will be edited to look like a fool. A lone wolf. A trouble maker looking for some kind of big payday. Even though you never asked for it Dreonna; you're soon going to be famous." My post from a week ago (HERE).
Uncle Rick shared with me the entry you posted on my situation. I appreciate you writing what you did. As you predicted, I have done several interviews now, both locally and nationally, and aside from the live interviews, I have been heavily edited. No one chooses to report on the peer reviewed scientific studies I presented to defend my decision. No one wants to report on the fact that the government is withholding reimbursement for hospitals who fail to have a certain percentage of their employees vaccinated. No one wants to talk about the lack of evidence that getting the flu vaccine actually prevents transmission of the virus. It's very frustrating and very sad. But I was prepared for that response, and stand firm by my decision.Your post meant a lot to me. Thanks again for sharing it with your reader.
Happy New Year!
ANOTHER PALEO 'PROOF'
AN INTERESTING TAKE ON THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE PALEO DIET
Anecdotal evidence is not a bad thing, but it is not the proverbial 'gold standard' of medical research (blind, double-blind, placebo controlled). Not that this really matters most of the time (HERE), but it sounds good in theory. Today, I want to share two fascinating stories with you ---- stories that stuck in my mind, but did not make sense to me initially. However, after mulling them over in my mind for a number of years, they both make a heck of a lot of sense in light of what I have learned during that time. The first has to do with one of our local school principals.
LOREN SMITH (a local CURRENT RIVER kind of guy) had talked to me a number of years ago about his experience with the Master's Cleanse (aka, the lemonade cleanse). The cleanse is simple; relying on lemonade made with freshly-squeezed organic lemons, "seasoned" with cayenne pepper (to tolerance), and sweetened with a bit of grade B maple syrup. The theory is that 10 days of this (along with a glass of salt water in the morning) will help you to slough off the mucoid plaques that progressively coat the intestinal walls due to the SAD (Standard American Diet). Loren told me that every time he did the cleanse, within a couple days of starting, all his aches and pains from years of sports and hard work would simply vanish. I myself noticed the same thing on the occasions that I have done the cleanse (even though I have done several cleanses, I still prefer the Master's Cleanse over anything from the health food store). The second piece of evidence has to do with something I have witnessed on several occasions.
Chronically sick patients (particularly those with Inflammatory Bowel Diseases or IBS) will often improve simply from going in for a test (upper GI, lower GI, MRI, etc). The thing that's sort of interesting about this is that it's not like these people are being treated in any form or fashion. They are simply being tested (some of these tests require them not to eat for as long as 24 hours) --- and will often report short-term improvement on the heels of these tests. What gives?
When people with chronic illness or CHRONIC PAIN stop eating foods that they are having Immune System reactions to (GLUTEN and SUGAR are two common ones), the body slows down the INFLAMMATION, and the GUT BECOMES LESS LEAKY. The resulting 'squelching' of the body's Inflammatory Response frequently means a subsequent 'squelching' of AUTOIMMUNE RESPONSES. It only makes sense when you understand what a Paleo Diet really is, and how it works (HERE). Other diets (VEGAN for instance), have the potential to do the same thing. Although some people can get good results following a grain-free vegan diet, many people fail (or even deteriorate) due to a lack of quality protein. If you want to learn more about dealing with chronic illness and / or WEIGHT LOSS (whichever you need), read the book I should have written, IT STARTS WITH FOOD.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration