IVF AS THE FRONT LINE FOR INFERTILITY
"IVF has evolved in many parts of the world as a profit-generating industry that values the money brought in by immediate gains of pregnancy and live birth over long-term considerations about the health of the mothers and children". Dr. Ben Willem Mol, University of Adelaide, Australia, commenting on a recent issue of the British Medical Journal (BMJ)
"The statement that academic institutions (and private practices) are only 'doing it for the money' is concerning. Do the authors have proof of this?" Dr William Gibbons, of Texas Children's Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine from a recent MedPage Today article, commenting on the article above from BMJ
"Because of the emotional, physical, and financial toll exacted by IVF, it is preferable that a couple undertake the process with the mindset that they will be in it for more than one attempt. If a couple can only afford one treatment cycle, IVF may not be the right course of action." Dr. Geoffrey Sher of Sher Fertility Clinics Centers for Reproductive Medicine.
Seeing the potential for yet another cash-based profit center, the medical community stepped in to fill the void with IVF. How successful is this short procedure? According to WebMD, pregnancy is achieved nearly 30% of the time, with just under three quarters of those pregnancies ending in a live birth (approximately a 22% success rate). The average cost for one round of IVF is $12,500, with the mother's age and geographic location being two of the significant variables in pricing. And this does not even get into the real issue that Dr. Mol was touching on above, concerning health (he was probably referring to the Dutch study from the April 2013 issue of Fertility and Sterility showing that individuals born via IVF had a one third greater chance of developing CANCER when compared to those conceived naturally).
Although things like endometriosis, and PCOS (America's number one reason for infertility) are common reasons that people choose to undergo IVF, one of the biggest reasons couples cannot have a baby is due to something called "Unexplained Infertility". My gut tells me that with so much money at stake (as you saw from the last quote at the top of the page, couples are typically warned up front that it might take a number of rounds of IVF to get pregnant), the alternatives are not typically being discussed, despite what Dr. Gibbons tells us.
As a person who votes pro-life above any other issue(s) on the ballot, I am all about having babies, and having them as naturally as possible (HERE). It is certainly not that I have anything against IVF or other similar 'therapies'. It's just that I feel there's frequently a better way. Rather than rehashing all of this for you, why not take a couple of minutes to read the short post I did on this topic last in May of last year called "BEATING INFERTILITY NATURALLY".
WHAT IS IT AND WHY IS IT A PROBLEM?
"We first have to understand when any soft tissue (muscle, tendons, nerves, fascia, ligaments) are damaged, the body produces scar tissue (also referred to as adhesions). In many patients, the scar response is amplified many times resulting in scarring like cobwebs enveloping the muscles, nerves and joints of the affected areas. This myofascial- bramble or cob-web suffocates the normal blood flow and nutrition to the area. Consequently, the tissues start to "dry-out", and the lubrication between the different structures decreases. This results in "rubbing" of the tissues, producing even more scar tissue and adhesions. The patient complains of stiffness, tightness, diffuse-multiple pain and trigger points. Their sleep patterns deteriorate. The body's ability to produce pain-killing endorphins and cortisoids is decreased. The patients own ability to modulate and control their own pain is further compromised if the "adhesions" or cob-webs" restrict the normal function of the nerve to the muscle. This can lead to occult neuropathy of the segmental nerves that supply the affected muscle. The muscle will then start to degenerate. Cannon's Law of Physiology states that nerve damage to a muscle produces an increase sensitivity to pain - i.e. trigger point tenderness. The Chronic pain cycle has begun." - Cherry picked from David Moffitt's article called Chronic Pain - The Adhesion / Scar Tissue Connection.
- MECHANICALLY: Scar Tissue is not nearly as elastic as is normal tissue. It is also much weaker. This is because the individual tissue fibers of normal connective tissue tend to line up in a nice, parallel fashion in relationship to each other (sort of like the picture at the top left --- think of well-combed hair). Likewise, Scar Tissue can have various degrees of 'tangledness'. This is simply connective tissues that due to some sort of injury (traumatic or repetitive) are running every conceivable direction in all three dimensions. In other words, it's a wadded up mess that is not nearly as "Functional" as is normal tissue (see picture at the top right and think of tangled and MATTED HAIR).
- ELECTRICALLY: Because injury frequently injures (stretches or tears) the tiny nerve branches that are found within the tissue itself, there can be and often times is hypersensitization that takes place. Stimulus that should not cause pain causes pain, and / or stimulus that should cause a little pain causes severe pain (Allodynia and Hyperalgia respecitively). In fact, according to neurologist and Scar Tissue expert Dr. Chan Gunn, Scar Tissue can be as much as 1,000 times more pain sensitive than normal tissue (HERE).
- BIOCHEMICALLY: As you might imagine, Scar Tissue is not as as metabolically active as is the normal tissue around it. Another reason that Scar Tissue is easier to be re-injured and slower to heal. This is one of the biggest reasons we often use COLD LASER THERAPY on chronically injured or chronically painful areas. Scar Tissue is also terribly affected by inflammation. You should be aware that the medical community realizes on some level that chronic inflammation always leads to what they call "fibrosis" (HERE). Although some people are offended by it, I refer to fibrotic tissue as "Scar Tissue" in my clinic because people understand the term better (HERE).
Now let's take this whole issue one step further. We already know that much of this Scar Tissue cannot be seen with the naked eye (particularly adhesed Fascia), but what would happen if it could not be seen with even the most technologically advanced imaging techniques such as MRI either? I'll tell you what can happen --- something I have written about several times previously. Chronic Pain's 'Perfect Storm'. A "PERFECT STORM" occurs when numerous factors, none of which is devastating in and of itself, fall into place at the same time to create what are known as "Super Storms".
Connective Tissues are defined as "biological tissues that support, connect, or separate different types of tissues and organs of the body". The most abundant connective tissue in your body is something called Fascia. Fascia is the ELASTIC, COLLAGEN-BASED TISSUE that you have seen if you do any amount of hunting or butchering (common in our area of the nation --- HERE). It is the clearish-yellow cellophane-like membrane that clings to muscle / meat (not to mention blood vessels, nerves, bones, etc). It also happens to be the most pain-sensitive tissue in the body.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT SOLVING
THE SCAR TISSUE RIDDLE
Due to traumatic injuries such as CAR CRASHES or SPORTS INJURIES, tissues can be stretched beyond their normal capacity to 'elast'. But there are other causes as well. I often times hear patients say things like, "but doc; I didn't do anything to hurt it". Many of the TISSUE-BASED PROBLEMS I commonly see in my clinic are not due to trauma --- or at least not a single trauma --- but to repetitive injuries such as those caused by certain jobs, sports, or POSTURES.
Think about it this way: you can move a mountain by blowing it up with one push of a button, or you can move it one spoonful at a time --- the only difference in the two methods is time. Injuries frequently occur in the same manner. In some cases, tremendous physical forces overcome tissue all at once. Just as often as not, the constant barrage of small physical forces (in many cases coupled with CHRONIC SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATION) breaks tissue down over time. Although both injuries were arrived at very differently, the results can be identical.
Think about it for a moment. You have FASCIA; the single most pain-sensitive tissue in the body --- but does not show up with standard tests. When you look at the image above of "Peter" from an 1863 issue of Harper's Weekly, the first thing you see is the incredible amount of Scar Tissue on his back. Now, imagine something similar going on in your body. But because it's occurring in a tissue as thin as cellophane --- often times at a cellular level, you can't see it with standard tests. To really grasp the seriousness of this, take another look at the side-by-side pictures at the top of the page. Notice closely how the tissue in the image on the left is organized in an orderly fashion, while the tissue on the right looks more like the "cobweb" described in the quote from the top of the page. If this is you, unfortunately, your problems are just getting started.
The restriction in joints surrounded by Scar Tissue (sometimes it can be extremely SUBTLE), will eventually cause serious (and visible) structural damage if not taken care of. Although there are other factors (a CRAPPY DIET is one of the biggest of these), possibly the biggest factor in developing something called DEGENERATIVE JOINT DISEASE (DJD, which used to be called DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS) is abnormal joint motion or loss of joint motion over time. This is why breaking the restricted Fascia and restoring range of motion is not only critical for helping people get rid of their pain, it is critical for potentially preventing degenerative situations that perpetuate the pain cycle, potentially destroying one's ability to enjoy their retirement years.
SCAR TISSUE, CHRONIC PAIN, AND STRETCH MARKS
Let me take just a moment to tell you a story that happened several years ago that really got me to thinking about this issue. I had a young woman come to me for an injury she received while in high school. While working out at school, a piece of heavy gym equipment was somehow pulled over and struck her in the middle part of her back. After spending 2-3 years on the MEDICAL MERRY-GO-ROUND (numerous specialists, lots of tests, several MRI's, therapy, pills, etc), her parents brought her in to see me. The problem had "Scar Tissue" written all over it. After examining her (her main finding was localized mid back pain with almost any movement she performed), I began to work.
What was interesting about this particular case was that this girl had no visible stretch marks in the middle of her back --- until I started working on her. The more I worked, the more visible and defined the STRETCH MARKS / TEARS became. The really cool thing was that after working on her, she could not reproduce pain with any amount of movement, including bending to touch her toes while I pushed her upper back towards the floor at the same time. It took a couple more treatments to totally resolve this case, of which I have seen dozens upon dozens of similar over the years. In fact, I can immediately think of several individuals (all quite thin) who wound up with hardcore stretch marks on their backs (like the picture above) after seriously wrecking four wheelers. In my mind, one of three things is true about these cases. Either........
- Adhesions in the dermal (middle) layer of the skin can cause incredible amounts of restriction and pain. I rather doubt this in light of the research that's out there, but the truth is, YOU CAN'T ALWAYS TRUST RESEARCH.
- Some cases of Stretch Marks run deeper than the dermal layer; possibly clear down into the Fasica. I also doubt that this is the case or it would have been discovered long ago.
- The Stretch Mark is not deep, but is indicative that there may be a deeper injury (i.e. Fascia) underneath it. This is probably the most plausible of the three.
What is the truth? I am not really sure. Since the what we do here works to help people overcome long-standing Chronic Pain and restriction, it does not really matter for our purposes which of these hypotheses is true. What's always true, however, is that your life will be better without Chronic Inflammation. If you are looking for solutions to your Chronic Pain or Chronic Illness, you might want to take a look at THESE POSTS.
WHAT ABOUT THE RESEARCH?
Among the effects seen in multiple cell and tissue types is increased ATP synthesis in mitochondria -- in essence, an energy jolt for the cell. This has particular relevance in the central nervous system because mechanical and chemical insults to brain neurons can result in impaired energy metabolism. It's been hypothesized that raising these cells' energy levels may keep them functioning -- in other words, that near-infrared radiation may counterbalance the effects of injury. John Gever, Managing Editor of Medpage Today from a recent article
One of the things that Gever did was to single out a chiropractic clinic in Texas as an example of false advertising. Although I myself would never advertise in this manner, when compared to what is currently passing for EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE here in America, it seems to be one of those pull-the-beam-from-your-own-eye-before-you-chide-me-for-the-splinter-in-mine situations (HERE). This fact was brought out by several readers who posted comments essentially accusing Gever of professional bias against chiropractors --- something I would have to agree with in light of the tone of the much of the article.
For instance, even though I agree whole-heartedly with what he said, the way his quote I put at the top of this page was worded could have been better. Gever equated "increased ATP synthesis in mitochondria" to an "energy jolt". Maybe I am being picky here, but he marginalized a decent explanation of how Cold Laser works via his choice of words (energy jolt). Not to mention, a bit later in his article he made sure that we all knew that Chapter 7 Bankruptcy involves a "complete liquidation" of a company's assets --- something that would probably never happen to a PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY.
He then went on to explain why the lasers used for these experiments did not work, saying that their penetration was "not deep enough to affect motor function reliably." Hold on. If depth of penetration were the only problem with this study, I would assume that it could be remedied fairly easy by switching hardware. Simply use a super-pulsed class III Cold Laser like the Multi-Radiance, or a Class IV device such as a K-Laser. From there he moved on to describe the work of Dr. Margaret Naeser of Boston University, who has been successfully treating SOLDIERS AFFECTED BY TBI, using Cold Laser Therapy.
Although much of her research would better be described as a series of "case studies" than randomized, placebo-controlled trials, listen to what Gever said about the individuals who went through her protocol --- some of these being soldiers who had undergone multiple service-related TBI'S at least four years prior to treatment. "Both showed significant improvements from baseline in measures of executive function and other aspects of cognition, according to their report in Photomedicine and Laser Surgery". Guess what? If your Cold Laser penetrates deep enough into the brain to successfully treat people with TBI, it's not a stretch to think that it could penetrate deep enough into the brain to treat the area(s) affected by a stroke. Interestingly enough, results like Dr. Naeser's don't seem to be some sort of rare aberration. Case in point as Gever goes on to tell his readers that, "similar positive findings have been reported in case reports of patients with Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and some other neurological conditions."
He goes on to explain that while NILT devices are "FDA approved for musculoskeletal pain indications," the effect may just be to the fact that it is, "simply acting as a heat source". The thinly veiled insinuation is that the posotive results are due to a cleverly designed placebo effect, which could (should) be likened to the sort of warm fuzzy feeling one gets from drinking a hot cup of cocoa on a winter's day in January. The article ends with Gever rhetorizing (yeah; I made it up) with himself about the legality or or lack thereof of treating folks with strokes and the other neurological problems that he mentioned by name just a couple of paragraphs earlier, using Cold Laser (ALZHEIMER'S, PARKINSON'S, TBI, etc). All of this begs my original question of whether or not there is ample evidence to back up the use of Cold Laser for various problems.
EVIDENCE FOR COLD LASER THERAPY
As near as I can tell, there are somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies on Cold Laser Therapy, with about 300 or so being added each year. These studies cover a wide range of health problems --- not nearly all of them concerning "musculoskeletal" problems as Gever would have you believe. SHINGLES is one such example that I have seen in my clinic. But as I have always said, the real proof is in the pudding --- you know; how does it work on real-world patients? Let me tell you the story of being my own Cold Laser Guinea Pig.
About five or six years ago, I started seriously looking at Cold Lasers as I had heard from several colleagues how fabulous they were. That and the fact that one of my instructors from Logan, Chiropractic Radiologist Dr. Gary Geubert, had told me of being 'cured' (his word, not mine) of long-standing PLANTAR FASCIITIS by a single Cold Laser treatment a couple of years previous to our conversation. This was of interest to me because I have dealt with the after-effects of several different sports injuries over the years, not to mention that at the time my hands and thumbs were giving me grief because of the beating they receive on a daily basis from adjusting lots of patients. A certain company offered to let me use their Laser for three months. I could send it back for a full refund if were not convinced it was the real deal --- no questions asked. My hands and thumbs were virtually pain free after a couple of three minute treatments. I was hooked.
The bottom line is this. The Hippocratic Oath, taken by all physicians as they graduate from their respective schools decrees that the first rule of doctoring is to do no harm (HERE is a recent example). Do we need to take the advice of the RN who commented on Gever's post and, "arrest them as frauds"? Before we come to a decision, let's be honest with each other for a moment. If Medicine were doing everything right, there would be no need for "Alternative" Medicine. Is NILT, Cold Laser Therapy, or for that matter, a cheap, infra-red light bulb going to hurt anyone? In other words, is NILT dangerous? Heck no it's not dangerous. In fact, with what we know about the way that this and similar therapies work, there could quite possibly be great benefit --- maybe even for those who are struggling with the after effects of a stroke or some other neurological problem.
No; I'm not telling you that Cold Laser is some sort of panacea or 'cure-all'. What I am saying is that given the choice of having standard medical fare (drugs and surgery), or something like Cold Laser --- a simple, potentially effective, and relatively inexpensive method of helping your cause by possibly being able to avoid or have less medical care ---- the decision to chose Cold Laser makes sense. Especially in light of the fact that as far as the research has shown, is not going to cause any side effects (just keep it out of the eyes). In my eyes, positive results, plus low cost, plus no known side effects, equals a pretty good combination. By the way, not only do I own three lasers, but my parents and in laws both own one as well. I think that speaks for itself.
THE COLD HARD TRUTH ABOUT
The NIH (National Institutes of Health --- a governmental organization) recently stated through their two top officials (Francis Collins MD / Ph.D and Lawrence Tabak DDS / Ph.D) that their organization is going to be involved in "significant interventions" against poorly done or fraudulent scientific research because the, "checks and balances that once ensured scientific fidelity have been hobbled". Gulp! If you have ever seen a hobbled horse (HERE), you quickly realize that it can do very little. This is why we have seen STUDY after STUDY after STUDY that shows just how stagnant and corrupt this system really is.
In fact, in a recent interview with MedPage Today, Dr Tabak revealed that, "The truth is we don't really know what the full scope of the problem is." Great. I feel better already. The government admits it's not sure what is going on, but by-golly, they are going to fix it. With your tax dollars. Although Tabak went on to admit that fixing this problem is going to take the full efforts of, "the academic community, those that publish scientific journals, and, of course, the scientists themselves," don't look for things to change anytime soon. There is simply too much money at stake ---- way too much money. It's sort of like the Mexican Drug Cartels like the Knights Templar and Zetas. When the money is that big, taking out one of these gangs only means there will be two more rise up trying to take their place. It's similar to trying to kill the mythical "Hydra". Chop off one of its heads, and you now have to deal with two more.
In the article, Loannidis makes statements such as, "There is increasing concern that most current published research findings are false." Or, "There is increasing concern that in modern research, false findings may be the majority or even the vast majority of published research claims. However, this should not be surprising. It can be proven that most claimed research findings are false." Or how about, "investigators working in any field are likely to resist accepting that the whole field in which they have spent their careers is a “null field.” " In light of what we have been told about science from the time we were in grade school, this might come as a shock. It also raises a question that each and every one of us will need to answer for ourselves. If we can't trust science to save us, who can we trust?
Unfortunately, you have recently seen that we cannot trust MEDICAL GUIDELINES (HERE & HERE also). And when it comes to those 'common sense' factors such as nutrition and exercise, everyone seems to be saying something different from each other --- sometimes radically different. Who do you believe? As far as what to eat, THIS provides a great starting point. From there you can move on to studying the causes and potential solutions to all sorts of disease processes (HERE). All of this proves what I have been telling people for a very long time. The biggest part of your health is completely up to you.
AGING, VITAL RESERVES, NUTRITION, AND DISEASE
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?" - Satchel Paige
"Old age is not a disease." - Yours Truly
Why did I bring this up? The other day I discussed ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, and today we are going to discuss aging in general, what it is, roughly how it occurs, and how to go about slowing down the process. It's far too easy to look at the geriatric crowd (55 and over) and chalk their many health problems up to their age. This is where your doctor sits you down, looks you in the eye, and solemnly gives you words of wisdom such as, "Joe; you just aren't as young as you used to be". Today I am going to show you why you should not buy into this outdated line of thinking and all the baggage that comes with it.
Much of your quality of life comes down to something which the medical community refers to as "Function". When you hear me talk about Function, I am talking about a person's ability to accomplish everything they need to get done in the course of a normal day, and the level of health required to do so. Why is this important for you to understand at any age? The longer that folks can stay out of "Heaven's Holding Cell" (the nursing home), typically, the better their lives will be. The problem is, when you can no longer "Function" well enough to perform the things that make up the acronym D.E.A.T.H. (Dressing, Eating, Ambulation, Toilet, Hygiene), your odds of ending up there increase rather dramatically. My goal today is to show you how to take some years off of your "Body Age" and at the very least, question some of those DRUG COMMERCIALS that you see way too many of on television today.
It is important for people to remember that Big Pharma and Corporate Medicine typically view them as a commodity --- a money generating machine that can create hundreds of thousands, or even millions of dollars over the course of their lifetime. Think I'm over-exaggerating? Read a few of my posts tagged under "EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE" --- that is, if you can keep from upchucking. Until you realize that as far as Big Pharma is concerned, you are nothing more than a walking, breathing, dollar sign; you will be led down a path that might keep you alive a bit longer than might otherwise happen, but saps the magic and joy from your life in the process (HERE or HERE).
As we all know, much of health comes down to doing two things correctly. These have to do with the fact that you need to be vigorously active on a regular basis and feed your body nutritious food. Are these difficult? Sure they are --- particularly if you are living alone. But, fail to do these two things --- particularly in your younger years --- and you drain your body's "Vital Reserves" before you ever get to become an 'official' card-carrying member of AARP.
We have all heard the old adage, "You are what you eat". While this is certainly true, it is more accurate if we make a subtle change to the last word. The truth is, we are not really what we eat, as much as we are what we ate. In other words, the fact that you broke down and had a piece of birthday cake yesterday is not nearly so big a deal as is the fact that you lived as a SUGAR ADDICT for about thirty years of your life. Not that you cannot to some degree overcome this, but dealing with the INFLAMMATORY EFFECTS of that sugar (not to mention the medications and other chemical exposure) is going to take a toll on your system and its ability to DETOXIFY itself. Sugar is only one example of many. I could pick on SMOKERS, couch potatoes, or a whole host of other groups here. I think you probably get the point. All of this begs the question of what are Vital Reserves?
Simply start taking care of yourself --- today. If you take a little bit of time to learn about the common threads that relate most disease processes to each other, you will begin to understand why there are certain steps that should be taken in the battle against virtually any disease process you could name (HERE).
WHY SO MUCH ALZHEIMER'S?
"Alzheimer’s disease is an irreversible, progressive brain disease that slowly destroys memory and thinking skills, and eventually even the ability to carry out the simplest tasks. During the preclinical stage of Alzheimer’s disease, people are free of symptoms, but toxic changes are taking place in the brain. Abnormal deposits of proteins form amyloid plaques and tau tangles throughout the brain, and once-healthy neurons begin to work less efficiently." From the webiste of the NIH's National Institute on Aging.
"Aging is not a disease." - Dr. Russell Schierling
- Over five million Americans currently have visible Alzheimer's.
- Alzheimer's is our nation's sixth leading cause of death, and one in three dies with the disease.
- It is estimated that over 15 million caregivers provide nearly 18 billion hours of unpaid care valued at over $215 billion for their loved ones.
- The financial cost of Alzheimer's was over $200 billion in 2013. Within 35 years, that number is expected to go up six times (calculated in today's dollars).
- In a decade, the number of people with Alzheimer's is expected to rise by 40%.
- The death rate from Alzheimer's increased nearly 70% in the decade of the 2000's (2000 - 2010).
- Medicaid costs per-person for senior citizens with Alzheimer's are almost 20 times higher than the cost of taking care of non-Alzheimer's seniors.
- Usually, the first thing that others notice in a friend or loved one with Alzheimer's Disease is a change in behavior.
WHY THE ALZHEIMER'S EXPLOSION?
The truth is, it's high time to stop trusting in EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE and realize that by and large, your health is up to you. In the same way that we know what causes most cases of Lung Cancer, we have a pretty good idea of what causes the majority of Alzheimer's Disease as well. Oh; I see. Your doctor never mentioned any of this to you. That's a shame. Let me share with you what I believe are the top five reasons for or nation's Alzheimer's Epidemic.
- BLOOD SUGAR DYSREGULATION: When we talk about Blood Sugar Dysregulation, we are usually talking about a situation where the body is INSULIN RESISTANT. However, we could be discussing HYPOGLYCEMIA as well. You see; we Americans love our sugar and starch (HERE), and too few of us realize just HOW HARMFUL UNREGULATED BLOOD SUGAR can be --- to brain function. In case you had not heard, the "Amyloid Brain Plaques" that are so characteristic of Alzheimer's Disease, have a known cause --- the inability to regulate blood sugar. It's not like this is news, as I have written about it at length in several of the links in this bullet point. But I will leave you with a quip from a recent study done at Tulane University and published in a recent issue of the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. "High blood-sugar levels, such as those linked with Type 2 diabetes, make beta amyloid protein associated with Alzheimer’s disease dramatically more toxic to cells lining blood vessels in the brain". The truth is that Alzheimer's is now being called TYPE III DIABETES!
- GLUTEN SENSITIVITY: Although most people associate GLUTEN SENSITIVITY with things like bloating, gas, and IBS-LIKE symptoms, this is not really the case --- or at least it's not the whole story the majority of the time. If you want to understand the ways that Gluten rips the guts out of your Nervous System, HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE are some posts for you to start with. Make sure to check out the video clip below from Dr. David Perlmutter's interview with Dr. Joe Mercola in anticipation of his upcoming 90 minute PBS special Brain Change (it starts today). Dr. Perlmutter wrote Grain Brain: The surprising truth about wheat, carbs, and sugar; your brain's silent killers, which became a New York Times number one bestseller back in November.
- LACK OF EXERCISE: In case you have not figured it out, poor diet and lack of exercise are tied to almost every physical ailment there is. The brain needs activation in order to work properly. In other words, it's motor side needs to be stimulated (this is why sitting in front of a screen does not count). The greatest source of motor stimulation of the brain comes from physical activity and coordinated movement. Be aware that complex movments or movements that involve a lot of brain power (ball exercises or square dancing) are going to be much better than something like RUNNING (unless you are running somewhere like on a mountain trail). In other words, the old cliche is just as true today as it was a century ago. Move it or lose it. HERE is a blog post on this very topic.
- REGULAR FLU SHOTS: My personal opinion (based on lots of scientific research and anecdotal evidence) is that it's crazy the way folks line up each year for their FLU SHOTS, in similar fashion to the manner in which teenyboppers line up for a Justin Beaver concert. One of America's most-published researchers, DR. HUGH FUDENBERG (M.D. / Ph.D / Immunogeneticist) did the research showing that if you had five consecutive years of Flu Shots, your chance of developing Alzheimer's went up by almost 10 times --- mostly because of Aluminum and MERCURY TOXICITY. He published this research back in the 1970's. Rest assured that when an elite research scientist such as Fudenberg publishes findings like this, he is not sainted, knighted, nor given a raise.
- CHEMICAL TOXICITY: This could come in the form of certain heavy metals like from the bullet point above. Or it could come from a whole host of other chemicals we are continually exposed to. According to Mississippi neurosurgeon, Dr. Russell Blaylock, one such example of this phenomenon comes in the form of "Excitotoxins" such as MSG or ASPARTAME. But this problem goes far beyond what we may have previously imagined. Just today, a new study was released in JAMA Neurology touting the old pesticide DDT (it's still used in many parts of the world, and once it's in the environment, it does not break down), as a major player in developing Alzheimer's Disease. The researchers found that not only did those with Alzheimer's had an 80% chance of having significant levels of DDT in their system, they also had over four times the amount of DDT in their bodies as compared to non-Alzheimer's persons of similar age and background.
If you are concerned about your ability to know what day of the week it is, what you had for breakfast, or whether or not you will recognize your children or spouse as you get older, don't wait until tomorrow to take this post to heart. Instead of letting doctors do all of your health care to you, figure out what you can do for yourself and git-er-done! Start by learning about what constitutes a healthy diet (HERE and HERE). Next, you can LOSE SOME WEIGHT and start a simple EXERCISE PROGRAM. If you are really serious about this issue, you can take a few minutes to learn about the things that RELATE MOST DISEASE PROCESSES to each other.
CLEARING OUT THE XENOHORMONES
SOLVE PMS, PCOS, DYSMENORRHEA, MENOPAUSE, AND OTHERS
BY SOLVING THE RIDDLE OF ESTROGEN DOMINANCE
"Today, we see the age of puberty (menarche) dropping precipitously to as low as 10 years of age, endometriosis afflicting 10% of all perimenopausal women; Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) rising and afflicting close to 30% of perimenopausal women, uterine fibroids affecting close to 25% of women from age 35 to 50, and breast cancer afflicting close to 10% of all women." - Dr. Michael Lam from his article called Estrogen Dominance
Estrogen Dominance is the all-too-common situation where a woman has too much Estrogen in her body as compared to Progesterone. How does this happen? The number one reason is that virtually all of us end up with too much Estrogen in our systems (men and women) is because of the amount of time spent swimming in a sea of estrogen and estrogen-like substances called "Xenohormones" or "Xenoestrogens" (HERE). Although I dealt with Estrogen Dominance in that post, the real question, which I did not address, is what to do about this problem. In other words, how would a person, whether male or female (yes, men get overdosed with Estrogen as well), get these toxic estrogen-like chemicals out of their system? That is going to be the chief topic in today's post.
SIGNS YOU MAY HAVE ESTROGEN DOMINANCE
- IRREGULAR OR ABNORMAL PERIODS / PCOS: This could be just about anything. And while PCOS has been mostly associated in the peer-reviewed literature with Uncontrolled Blood Sugar, most women dealing with this issue are going to be Estrogen Dominant as well.
- PMS: Nuff said. In case you have not seen the SNL parody of the birth control pill Seasonale ("Annuelle"), you need to Google it and check it out.
- BLOATING, SWELLING, AND WATER RETENTION: Can't get rings on and off? Swollen ankles? Puffy face? Estrogen Dominance is probably in the mix.
- PMS-RELATED HEADACHES: Lots of women get "Hormonal Headaches" during that time of month. Most of these are related to Estrogen Dominance.
- WEIGHT GAIN: Estrogen is likely a culprit --- particularly when talking about BELLY FAT. It is critical that you understand that fat-soluble substances (Estrogen / Xenoestrogens fall into this category) are stored in fat cells --- particularly the visceral fat layer that covers your organs. If you are Estrogen Dominant but not overweight; trust me --- it's just a matter of time. By the way; it is not just the Female Organs that produce Estrogen. A main producer of Estrogen just happens to be fat cells, which in turn produce more Estrogen. When farmers give hormones to fatten cattle, these are various forms of synthetic Estrogen. THIS will shed some more light on the subject. WEIGHT LOSS is critical in the battle against ED. However, the very nature of the problem can make losing weight difficult -- or even impossible. Don't worry. Very shortly I am going to show you how to get the excess Estrogen out of your system so that you can begin losing weight.
- HAIR LOSS / HYPOTHYROIDISM: Ever notice that HYPOTHYROIDISM is far more common in the female population?
- BRAIN FOG: Trouble thinking or concentrating. Very common in people with Fibromyalgia and / or GLUTEN SENSITIVITY.
- SYMPTOMS ASSOCIATED WITH SYMPATHETIC DOMINANCE: There are SEVERAL, but one of the most common are sleep issues --- particularly Insomnia.
- EXHAUSTION, FATIGUE, SLOW METABOLISM: Many on this list, including this one, are commonly seen in ADRENAL FATIGUE / FIBROMYALGIA.
- SUGAR OR STARCH CRAVINGS: Show me a woman with hardcore SUGAR CRAVINGS, and I'll show you a woman with Estrogen Dominance. This is often times associated with Chronic Systemic Yeast Infections as well --- particularly in women who have taken lots of ANTIBIOTICS at some point in their lives.
- SWOLLEN, TENDER, ENLARGED, OR FIBROCYSTIC BREASTS: A very common side effect of Estrogen Dominance.
- CONSTANT ALLERGIES / SINUS INFECTION: HERE, HERE, and HERE are some links on these issues. Much of this is due to, as you will see momentarily, increasing whole-body toxicity and a deficiency in the nutritional compounds to stop or reverse the trend.
- DIMINISHED LIBIDO: HERE are the links. You need to be aware that although Testosterone fuels sex drive even in women, too much Testosterone in women is associated with both diminished libido and PCOS.
- DEPRESSION: DEPRESSION is far more common in women than men, and more common yet in women with Estrogen Dominance.
- AUTOIMMUNE DISORDERS, INCLUDING IBS: HERE is a list of some of America's more common Autoimmune Diseases. HERE are my blog posts on the subject, including IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME. If you have Autoimmunity (far more common in women than men), you need to understand this relationship.
- INFERTILITY: Progesterone is the hormone of pregnancy. Too little Estrogen and / or not enough Progesterone, and either pregnancy will not occur, or the odds of a miscarriage increase dramatically. When you think 'big picture' think of Estrogen and Progesterone as antagonistic to each other. It is important to understand that simply looking at raw Estrogen levels will not tell us the whole picture. Estrogen Dominance occurs when the ratio of Estrogen to Progesterone is too high. As Dr. Janet Lang always said concerning this topic; "ratios rule".
- INSULIN RESISTANCE OR OUTRIGHT DIABETES: The truth is, most ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS, can be traced back to UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR --- the starting point to most chronic illness.
- ENDOMETRIOSIS: According to Shelley Binkley M.D., "In women with endometriosis, the processing of estrogen is abnormal". This leads to the uterine lining ending up growing in places it should not be.
- FEMALE CANCERS: This is particularly true of BREAST CANCER. How big is this relationship between excess Estrogen and Breast Cancer? The two chief drugs for treating women once their initial cancer has been taken care of are Tamoxifen and Femara --- both Estrogen-blockers. This is because the majority of Breast Cancers are fueled by, among other things like SUGAR, Estrogen.
- OSTEOPOROSIS: Although Estrogen (usually in the form of HRT) has been associated OSTEOPOROSIS prevention, we are learning that this is not the whole story. Aren't INVISIBLE STUDIES grand?
WAYS TO DEAL WITH ESTROGEN DOMINANCE
- ADD MORE ESTROGEN TO YOUR SYSTEM WITH BIRTH CONTROL PILLS OR HRT (HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY): Once you take some time to study this issue of Estrogen Dominance, you'll quickly realize that HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy like Premarin -- Pregnant Mare's Urine) does not make much sense for many many (maybe most) women. And while 'The Pill' is certainly convenient, adding synthetic hormones to your system is rarely a good thing --- particularly over the long haul. Several years ago, Dr. Joseph Mercola wrote that, "In July 2002, the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) abruptly ended its combination of estrogen and progestin therapy study, as their data discovered higher rates of breast cancer, heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots in the population taking the hormones, compared to those taking placebos."
- ADD PROGESTERONE TO YOUR SYSTEM: Although natural forms of sub-lingual Progesterone might be a good thing to do for awhile, it is not going to solve this issue over the long haul. It is a band-aid that makes things easier while you work on the root cause(s) of the problem. This is because when you take exogenous hormones, your body shuts down endogenous production. Be aware that Progestins (patented drugs that are actually artificial forms of Progesterone) have been part of most HRT protocols for quite some time. As you might guess, there are a number of side effects associated with them. Again; this might be a short-term option but is never a long-term solution.
- DO NOTHING AND HOPE IT GOES AWAY: Playing the ostrich-game and keeping your head buried in the sand is an easy thing to do for awhile. Particularly since your doctor will not talk about Estrogen Dominance (other than maybe to pooh pooh it). The problem with this approach is that it can lead to Breast Cancer and other forms of (mostly) female CANCERS. Not only that, but when the symptoms get too crazy, most women revert back to the first bullet point.
- ELIMINATE THE SOURCES OF ESTROGEN FROM YOUR LIFE: This means that you probably need to stop eating commercially-raised meats (Estrogen is the hormone given by farmers to make their animals fat -- more on this shortly). It also means that you will have to figure out where other sources of PSEUDO-ESTROGEN (including plant-based sources of Estrogen such as soy) are coming from.
- WORK ON PHASE I & PHASE II DETOXIFICATION: This one is huge, because it is how you are going to get this crap out of your system. Unfortunately, it is the proverbial "Catch-22". Because Estrogen is stored in fatty tissue, getting rid of it can not only be time consuming, but can also require some weight loss --- something that is itself difficult in people with Estrogen Dominance. Since we have to start somewhere, let's get this ball rolling by learning about the way that your body clears toxic substances.
YOUR LIVER AND BODY PURIFICATION / DETOXIFICATION
When we talk about detoxification and the liver, we will invariably see terms like Phase I, Phase II, and the P-450 Cytochrome System bantered about. In order to understand the process (it is the exact same process used to clear drugs / medicine from your body), we are going to briefly discuss these subjects.
- PHASE I describes your body's ability to transform toxins to a form that can be pulled out of the fatty tissues they are stored in, and is considered to be your body's first enzymatic defense against foreign chemicals. Phase I reactions are primarily performed by via oxidation (oxygen) and the P450 Cytochrome Enzymes. It is important to be aware that the 'intermediate metabolites' created by Phase I can actually be more toxic to your system than when they were in storage. This is why it is absolutely vital to have Phase II working properly. When Phase I is not working properly, or if Phase I is cranked up while Phase II is suppressed, the result can be a wide range of serious diseases, including AUTOIMMUNITY, CANCER, and PARKINSON'S.
- PHASE II reactions attach or "conjugate" the toxins to various water-soluble compounds in order to increase their ability to be dissolved, which allows them to be voided easier. This part of the equation is where the oxidized chemicals are combined with sulfur, specific amino acids, or organic acids, so that they can be excreted in the bile. There are several different enzymes and slightly different metabolic pathways for accomplishing this that can and will become depleted without replenishing them via the diet. Possibly the single most powerful antioxidant in the body --- GLUTATHIONE --- is critical for Phase II. Note that Phase II can be inhibited by alcohol or drugs (prescription, OTC, or recreational) and, as you might guess from the second sentence in this bullet point, nutritional deficiencies (including too little dietary protein) will shut this phase down cold. When exposed to a heavy toxic load, Glutathoine and other similar substances can become rapidly depleted. Oh; do not waste time on oral Glutathione supplements as it is rapidly degraded by the digestion process.
- PHASE III is simply the process of your system actually removing / excreting the conjugated toxic chemicals from your body ---- without reabsorbing them. Be aware that this is virtually impossible without ample amounts of dietary fiber. Also be aware that detoxing your system of years of toxicity can take some time.
The bottom line on Phase One detoxification is: you need it but you don’t want Phase One activity to exceed the ability of your liver’s Phase Two enzymes to finish the job, otherwise you’re in trouble. When you oxidize BENZENE, you initially produce some very toxic Benzene-related substrates, which means your Phase II System had better be up and running full tilt, otherwise you could end up in worse shape than when you started.
Having a toxic system can set you up for a whole host of health problems, including the dreaded MUPS, which experts claim, accounts for 40 - 50% of all doctor visits. In order to achieve optimal health, we must be detoxing our system optimally --- and constantly. Although Phase I and II occur almost exclusively in the liver, I want to take just a moment to mention the importance of the bowel as far as detox is concerned. Not only is dietary fiber important so that the toxins can be 'bound' to something in order to be carried out of the body as waste, but listen to what Dr. DeAnn J. Liska, the director of Nutrition Science for Kellogg, and faculty of the Institute for Functional Medicine, says about the bowel's potential effect on Phase I and II.
"The first contact the body makes with the majority of xenobiotics [drugs] is the gastrointestinal tract. Over the course of a lifetime, the gastrointestinal tract processes more than 25 tons of food, which represents the largest load of antigens and xenobiotics confronting the human body. The gastrointestinal tract influences detoxification in several other ways. Gut microflora can produce compounds that either induce or inhibit detoxification activities. Pathogenic bacteria can produce toxins that can enter circulation and increase toxic load."
One of the up-and-coming health problems facing our citizens today is something called Fatty Liver Disease. Although it is estimated that nearly 100% of America's 15 million alcoholics have Fatty Liver Disease (also called "Hepatic Steatosis", alcohol is not the number one cause, nor the largest group of people with the problem. By far, the biggest group of people suffering from Fatty Liver Disease (no pun intended) would be the portion of our society who are overweight. This is why the majority of Fatty Liver Disease is actually referred to as Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. And while the Mayo Clinic says that, "nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is common and, for most people, causes no signs and symptoms and no complications," I'm simply not buying it --- or at least buying all of it.
As I showed you the other day, we have a massive segment of our people who are dealing with something called MUPS (Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms). Do you think that an inability to detox drugs and toxins could cause people problems? Darn straight! Failure to detox will cause serious and life-altering problems! Just one category of these problems are those related to Estrogen Dominance. In other words, fail to detox excess Estrogen (whether endogenous or exogenous) from your system, and you will end up with a serious HORMONAL TOXICITY, leading to the propensity to develop a host of female problems, as well as endocrine problems.
One of the health issues that has been intimately associated with both Obesity and Fatty Liver Disease is Inflammation. In America, SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATION is a nearly-universal problem, which the medical community has little to offer in the way of real solutions. Sure; they have all sorts of things for the symptoms. But if that's all you are looking for, you may want to visit a different website. The situation is so common that WebMD says that, "Up to 20% of adults may have either fatty liver or NASH [an inflamed liver --- hepatitis]. And more than 6 million children have one of these conditions".
FOODS THAT AID IN PHASE I & PHASE II DETOXIFICATION
- CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES: This class includes things like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts. This is the foundation of SP Greenfood.
- PLENTY OF PROTEIN: Two amino acids, cysteine and methionine, are high in sulfur and found in meat, fish, eggs, and chicken. Another reason I am not keen on VEGAN DIETS.
- CITRUS FRUITS: Many liver detoxes have you drinking Green Tea with lemon juice. Also the basis of one of my favorite Bowel Cleanses --- the Master's Cleanse.
- CARROTS, BEETS, TOMATOES, SPINACH / GREEN LEAFIES: Great to juice or eat as a healthy snack. Beets (raw, not pickled) are a "Super Food" for liver / gall bladder issues.
- ONIONS / GARLIC: These plants are heavy on the sulfur.
- MILK THISTLE / SILYMARIN: This is the number one herb for detoxing and healing the liver.
- VARIOUS HERBS OR SUPPLEMENTS: Curcumin, Ashwagandha, Dandelion, Green Tea, PROBIOTICS for the bowel, PGFO for Inflammation, and several others.
- LOTS OF FIBER: The truth is, you can do everything else correctly; but if you are not getting plenty of fiber (the RIGHT KIND) into your system to bind up the toxins that have been excreted out of your cells and blood stream, you will reabsorb them before they can be excreted from your body (Phase III).
This list is in no ways definitive, and there are several products in the Standard Process Line (including their Purification System --- SP COMPLETE with SP Green-Food) that are wonderful for aiding the process. However, nothing, and I do mean nothing, takes the place of a healthy diet. While you are at it, start exercising. EXERCISE is good for everything, including detoxification / purification. And if you would give up the tobacco, drink no more than a little bit here or there, and stop taking so dad-blamed many drugs, you would help yourself by taking toxic pressure off of your liver.
FIRST PROSTATE CANCER, NOW IT'S JUST PLAIN BAD
"The research found more problems when it looked specifically at levels of two particular omega-3s that are promoted for brain and heart health: docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Tests showed that at least a dozen products contained DHA levels that were, on average, 14 percent less than listed on their packaging." From Wednesday's edition of the New York Times (What’s in Your Fish Oil Supplements?)
NON-SURGICAL OPTIONS FOR DEALING WITH CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME
"Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a very common condition, caused by 'The Pill', pregnancy, Rheumatological, or Endocrine disorders; and involves compression of the Median Nerve in the Carpal Tunnel" The Carpal Tunnel Anatomy video below from England's University of Warwick.
- DIABETES: We are a nation of SUGAR ADDICTS. Just remember that you do not have to have FULL BLOWN DIABETES in order to have Sugar Dysregulation. Also remember that problems with the regulation of blood sugar are a foundational point for virtually all diseases (HERE).
- HYPOTHYROIDISM & DIMINISHED PITUITARY FUNCTION: HERE is the link on thyroid issues. In case you were not aware, the vast majority of America's thyroid problems (Hashimoto's and Graves) are AUTOIMMUNE. Be aware that the quote at the top mentioned ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS in general, which would encompass the first three bullet points on this list.
- OBESITY: Unfortunately, when you count those who are SKINNY FAT, almost 80% of our nation's adult population is either overweight or OBESE.
- RHEUMATOID OR DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS: HERE are several links pertaining to various kinds of Arthritis (RA is Autoimmune).
- TENDON PROBLEMS: I actually wrote an entire post about THIS FACTOR.
- PREVIOUS TREATMENT FOR BREAST CANCER: This one was interesting. And while I could POSTULATE AS TO THE RELATIONSHIP, I am not really sure.
- PREVIOUS WRIST INJURY: This could be almost anything, including fractures, sprains and strains, or possibly TENDINOSIS.
- USING VIBRATING HAND-TOOLS REGULARLY: This actually sounds more like a risk factor for Raynaud's Disease (aka "Jackhammerer's Syndrome") than it does for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- WORK-RELATED STRESS: Although this is sort of a catch-all; as amazing as it sounds, neither repetitive work with the hands nor computer work made the list.
Is surgery an effective / cost-effective option for CTS? Depends on who you talk to. I am here to tell you, however, that for many of you, there's a better way to deal with this and many other INFLAMMATORY HEALTH PROBLEMS than simply taking another drug. Since Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is not necessarily what you thought it was, it might make sense that it needs to be dealt with in ways that you might not necessarily have thought of or even heard of. In other words, you may need to step outside the box.
An April 2007 study (A Systematic Review of Conservative Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) published in the medical journal Clinical Rehabilitation, looked at the evidence from over 30 randomized studies on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Although they mentioned NSAIDS as showing "limited" efficacy in the treatment of CTS (something that is recommended by most physicians, and touted on sites like MayoClinic and WebMD), their big brother (CORTICOSTEROIDS -- injected and / or oral) was the only form of treatment that made the "strong evidence" category. Yes; I understand that steroids have the ability to at least temporarily relieve the symptoms of CTS. The problem is, they also have a crazy array of common and frequently severe side effects.
In Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery, an incision is made in the Transverse Carpal Ligament (aka the Flexor Retinaculum --- see the pic at the top of this page) in order to "release" the bound ligament, and thus 'release' or take pressure off of the contents of the Carpal Tunnel. Read between the lines as you listen to what a popular online encyclopedia had to say about the success rates of Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery.
Recurrence of carpal tunnel syndrome after successful surgery is rare. If a person has hand pain after surgery, it is most likely not caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. It may be the case that the illness of a person with hand pain after carpal tunnel release was diagnosed incorrectly, such that the carpal tunnel release has had no positive effect upon the patient's symptoms.
Put all this in the computer, add it up, and it tells me that somewhere we are missing the boat with this problem we call Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Surely there must be a better way to deal with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Often times there is. How would I go about helping someone struggling with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? There are several steps that make sense in light of the most current peer-reviewed literature.
- CHANGE OF DIET AND LIFESTYLE: Remember the list from the top of the page on the chief causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Reviewing this list reveals that Carpal Tunnel Syndrome might be far more complex than we have been led to believe.
- CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS: The nerves that end up in your hand and wrist come from your neck. Make sure to take a look at the NERVE CHART.
- TISSUE REMODELING: This could be at either the WRIST or the NECK. HERE is what I am talking about when I mention "Tissue Remodeling".
- NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS: This might be in the form of WHOLE FOOD B-Vitamins. It might mean that you need to take some PGFO. An obvious GUT PROBLEM (seen in most of the problems in the list at the top of the page) might mean that you need some PROBIOTICS or something else.
- COLD LASER THERAPY: This is an amazing (relatively) new technology that promotes healing. If you want to find out more about the way that COLD LASER THERAPY would work with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, just click the link.
CHRONIC NECK PAIN IN A YOUNG BULL RIDER
Since 1991, I have treated scores of rodeoers. Unfortunately, if you are into rodeo, you have a good chance of ending up with a wide array of permanent physical ailments. The longer you're in the game, the greater the chance of having a life-altering injury. Enter Tyler Russell. Tyler came to see me two years ago, after being stomped in the BACK AND NECK by a 1,500 pound bull two years before that ---- while still in Junior High. Fortunately, Tyler took my advice and gave up bull riding after his first visit to see me about 18 months ago. I saw Tyler for the third time yesterday, and he was more than willing to give me a written testimonial.
I was experiencing pain from my lower back all the way to my upper neck, and my back and neck kept going out all the time. A couple years earlier I had been stomped on the neck by a bull that had thrown me. Despite the over-the-counter pain meds, I got to the point where I could no longer play sports. I decided to come see Dr. Schierling because my family had heard from several people that he was good. Ever since my first treatment, I wake up with no pain and have normal mobility again. - Tyler Russell (17) Winona, MO
Tyler was loaded with Scar Tissue and FASCIAL ADHESIONS that ran from the bottom of his low back (his THORACOLUMBAR FASCIA), up onto the back of his skull (GALEA APONEUROSES) --- the chief reason that he could not hold an adjustment prior to seeing me. The results of his treatment were both rapid and predictable. Thanks for the testimonial Tyler.
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration