Kettlebells (they look like a cannon ball with a small handle) have been around forever. Unfortunately, they are extremely expensive. But don't despair --- there is a great way to make your own. There are many kits on the market to do this. Forget about them. Truthfully, most of these type of devices feel unstable (wobbly / loose) and cheap. Although they are cheaper than buying a set of Kettle Bells, besides being flimsy, most are way overpriced (well over $100). However, there is a simple way to build a device that you can do Kettlebell swings with --- the queen mother of all kettlebell exercises. Be warned that this device will not in any way take the place of a kettlebell for other exercises. the device is called the "T-Handle".
Constructing Your Own T-Handle
Build your own Kettlebell Replacement with $20 worth of supplies you can get from your local hardware store.
- One 1" diameter X 8-12" long pipe nipple for the vertical shaft. (A "pipe nipple" is a short pipe threaded on both ends with male pipe thread). Shorter people require a shorter pipe nipple
- Two 1" diameter X 4" long pipe nipples for handles. Make sure that you cover over the exposed threads with tape.
- One 1" diameter pipe "T" fitting
- One 3/4" floor flange
- One spring clamp to keep plates from sliding at the top of the swing
- HERE ARE SOME PICTURES (near the bottom of the page)