I am often asked, "How's the family?" Everyone is doing well despite Glyn's RECENT PASSING. Michaela is babysitting and recently bought a HORSE. Malachi is working for several different people this summer and mowing yards. And the YOUNGER GIRLS are seemingly trying to read through every book in the library (they are learning how to cook and sew as well). We would love for you come visit us. If it is in the Summer time, we'll spend some time on the CURRENT RIVER.
CERTAIN ANTIBIOTICS DESTROY TENDONS AND OTHER CONNECTIVE TISSUES
HAVE YOU BEEN FLOXED?
The quote above was taken from a popular online encyclopedia. Not a terribly long time ago, I did a blog Post on FLUOROQUINOLONE ANTIBIOTICS. For many people, this class of drug has opened the door to a nightmare. I had a patient put a handwritten letter in my hands yesterday and ask me to spread the word to as many people as possible.
Attention! Fibromyalgia and Levaquin do not mix! I just hope that this helps some people avoid what I've gone through from taking Levaquin. A couple of months ago, my doctor prescribed me Levaquin for my allergies. I never even looked at the possible side effects; they were just Antibiotics. Just two days later my body hurt in every muscle from head to toe. I was told I had to stay on them 10 days so I tried (I made it to day 8). Then I read the side effects information and was shocked to learn that Levaquin attacks ligaments and tendons. I learned that they could pop [rupture] and cause problems for months or even years.
About day 7 I felt a tendon SNAP in my right shoulder. I could not even raise my arm the pain was so awful. I then went to my regular doctor who put a steroid injection in my shoulder and gave me steroid pills.
Doctors should not prescribe this antibiotic to patients with Fibromyalgia. My doctor said that my severe reaction was not typical. After studying the matter, I tend to disagree. Anyway, here I am two months later with an aching shoulder. And this could last for months, or even years. I had no idea there were this many side effects listed, and would never have taken this drug if I had read the info paper first. I am in pain every waking moment. These pills attacked my whole body.
Deb G. 5/29/2013
Oh, I forgot to include this portion of the quote in the top section. "Tendon damage may manifest months after therapy had been completed and in severe cases may result in lifelong disabilities. Older patients may have an increased risk of tendinopathy (including rupture), especially with concomitant corticosteroid use.... Current or past treatment with oral corticosteroids is associated with an increased risk of Achilles tendon rupture, especially in elderly patients also taking the fluoroquinolones.... Within this group concomitant use of corticosteroids increases this risk substantially." I have warned repeatedly that CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS never provide lasting relief or benefit, but usually result in some serious (degenerative) side effects.
ANOTHER 25+ YEAR CASE OF PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME
THORACOLUMBAR SPINE VIDEO TESTIMONIAL
The problem is that according to the latest scientific research, 50-70% of the adult American population is walking around with disc problems in their low backs that they are completely unaware of because they do not hurt (HERE). Think about this for a moment. The majority of us would show a HERNIATED DISC on MRI if we had one --- even if we have no pain. Not knowing this information sets people up for failure when it comes to SPINAL SURGERIES. It also means that it is always easy for a doctor to find some kind of abnormality on the MRI to blame your pain on.
As you can see from the picture below, Mary is fun to be around. She is sweet, gentle, and loves to laugh. For five years though, she has not felt like laughing due to severe chronic pain. That is until a couple of months ago when I was able to convince her that she needed to try our TISSUE REMODELING TREATMENT. She had brutal FASCIAL ADHESIONS of her THORACOLUMBAR FASCIA. Make absolutely sure you click on this link. It contains two 10 second videos of Thoracolumbar Fascia (one of a person with low back pain and one of a person with no low back pain). I'll stop and let Mary tell you the rest of her story. Thanks for the video Mary. We love you!
YOUR HEALTH IS UP TO....... YOU!
GYM EQUIPMENT CAN QUICKLY DATE ITSELF: THE TITANIC'S FITNESS ROOM
I find it interesting how people think. You would be surprised at the number of people I see who believe that since the Affordable Care Act was passed, they can finally be healthy. False! Your health is and always has been completely up to you. I get it; some people were unfortunate enough to be born with genetic diseases, physical defects, or other severe inborn health problems. In the big scheme of things, these are RARE. I am speaking to the rest of you. It is time you take what God gifted you with and take care of it! Don't tell yourself that you will start next week. Start today.
Remember my EXCUSES post from last week? I want to give you some things that you can do on your own to take care of your body, and spend as little time as possible doing it. As far as working out / exercising is concerned, HERE is my short post on the best way to lose weight and keep it off forever. As you already know, I am a huge believer in STRENGTH TRAINING. Sure, I think think that Cardio Training is great, but if you simply look at the research, you'll see that a little of it goes a long way. This is to your advantage! You do not have to be a gym member, nor do you have to spend 1-2 hours a day doing workouts like P-90X (or running mile after mile after mile) to achieve incredible results. If you'll cut the JUNK and SODAS, and eat a diet based on WHOLE FOODS (specifically think PALEO HERE), you can spend a brief time working out (emphasis on brief) --- in the privacy of your own home if you like --- and achieve incredible results quickly (HERE).
How good of a workout can you get without being a member of a gym? Believe it or not, you can possibly do better than you could in many gyms. And all you need are an EXERCISE BALL and some light hand weights (dumbells), and if you are really motivated --- a HOMEMADE KETTLEBELL. The Exercise Ball (they go by lots of names including balance ball, fit ball, fitness ball, gym ball, physio ball, Pilates ball, sports ball, stability ball, Swedish ball, Swiss ball, therapy ball, etc, etc, etc) is simply a large inflatable ball that can be purchased at Cramazon or Mal-Wart (make sure to spend a few more bucks and get the 'burst resistant' heavy duty ball).
The real advantage to incorporating the Exercise Ball into your strength training is that the instability of the ball builds strength and stability into all parts of your body ---- particularly your CORE. Instead of working out on a stable surface (a bench or floor), the ball forces the body to engage many more muscles just to maintain balance (which is great PROPRIOCEPTIVE TRAINING). Not only is this great for your body, it is great for your brain as well (HERE). There is arguably no better (or easier) core strengthening program than to spend time on the ball. Simply head on over to YouTube and check out their videos on how to do strength and proprio training on a ball.
SIMPLE (QUICK) BALL WORKOUTS YOU
CAN DO IN YOUR OWN LIVING ROOM
UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR
AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE DESTROYER OF HEALTH
And it doesn't stop with Neuropathy and female problems like PCOS. Virtually every single health problem you can think of is being tied back in the scientific peer-reviewed literature to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar. And don't forget that HYPOGLYCEMIA (low blood sugar) falls into this same category as well, and is the flip side of the coin that we call Diabetes.
If you are serious about both your HEALTH AND YOUR WEIGHT, and your potential ability to live a long and productive life, click on the link at the top of the page. It is a five minute read that could change your life.
ADHESED FASCIA IS A LIVING BREATHING NIGHTMARE
In the picture below, you'll notice the diamond-shaped area in the LOW BACK which is called the THORACOLUMBAR FASCIA. This fascia is impregnated and concurrent with at least three different muscle tendons, giving it three distinct layers that must glide independently of each other. Although I did a post on this topic several months ago (HERE), I added two short (10 second) videos that show how adhesions in the fascia severely restrict joint motion.
It is amazing to actually see, with my own eyes, the model of pain and dysfunction that I've been promoting for two decades actually coming to life like FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER. If nothing else, take a few seconds to watch the videos. Play them at the same time so you can see the difference side-by-side. Like I said, amazing! If you find this interesting, be sure and take a look at my "Fascia Super Post" containing ALL 150 PLUS articles I've written on fascia and Scar Tissue.
DEATH BY MEDICINE
Each year approximately 2.2 million US hospital patients experience adverse drug reactions (ADRs) to prescribed medications... Approximately 7.5 million unnecessary medical and surgical procedures are performed annually in the US, while approximately 8.9 million Americans are hospitalized unnecessarily.
Deaths induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures [aka 'Iatrogenesis'] in the US annually is 783,936. By comparison, approximately 699,697 Americans died of heart disease in 2001, while 553,251 died of cancer.
US health care spending reached $1.6 trillion in 2003, representing 14% of the nation's gross national product. Considering this enormous expenditure, we should have the best medicine in the world. We should be preventing and reversing disease, and doing minimal harm. Careful and objective review, however, shows we are doing the opposite. Because of the extraordinarily narrow, technologically driven context in which contemporary medicine examines the human condition, we are completely missing the larger picture.
As few as 5% and no more than 20% of iatrogenic acts are ever reported. This implies that if medical errors were completely and accurately reported, we would have an annual iatrogenic death toll much higher than 783,936. In 1994, Leape [a Harvard University researcher] said his figure of 180,000 medical mistakes resulting in death annually was equivalent to three jumbo-jet crashes every two days. Our considerably higher figure is equivalent to six jumbo jets are falling out of the sky each day.
Our estimated 10-year total of 7.8 million iatrogenic deaths is more than all the casualties from all the wars fought by the US throughout its entire history.
A 2003 study found that nearly half of medical school faculty who serve on institutional review boards to advise on clinical trial research also serve as consultants to the pharmaceutical industry.
In June 2002, the New England Journal of Medicine announced that it would accept journalists who accept money from drug companies because it was too difficult to find ones who have no ties..... In l981 the drug industry “gave” $292 million to colleges and universities for research. By l991, this figure had risen to $2.1 billion.
Leape focused on the “Harvard Medical Practice Study” published in 1991........ Why Leape chose to use the much lower figure of 4% injury for his analysis remains in question. Using instead the average of the rates found in the three studies he cites (36%, 20%, and 4%) would have produced a 20% medical error rate. The number of iatrogenic deaths using an average rate of injury and his 14% fatality rate would be 1,189,576.
In 1995, a JAMA report noted, "Over a million patients are injured in US hospitals each year, and approximately 280,000 die annually as a result of these injuries.... An October 2003 JAMA study from the US government's Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) documented 32,000 mostly surgery-related deaths costing $9 billion and accounting for 2.4 million extra hospital days in 2000.
An analysis by Wald and Shojania found that only 1.5% of all adverse events result in an incident report.
A 2002 study shows that 20% of hospital medications for patients had dosage errors. Nearly 40% of these errors were considered potentially harmful to the patient. In a typical 300-patient hospital, the number of errors per day was 40.
In a New England Journal of Medicine study, an alarming one in four patients suffered observable side effects from the more than 3.34 billion prescription drugs filled in 2002.
According to William Agger, MD, director of microbiology and chief of infectious disease at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center in La Crosse, WI, 30 million pounds of antibiotics are used in America each year. Of this amount, 25 million pounds are used in animal husbandry, and 23 million pounds are used to try to prevent disease and the stress of shipping, as well as to promote growth. Only 2 million pounds are given for specific animal infections.... In the US, over 3 million pounds of antibiotics are used every year on humans. With a population of 284 million Americans, this amount is enough to give every man, woman, and child 10 teaspoons of pure antibiotics per year.
In 1989, German biostatistician Ulrich Abel, PhD, wrote a monograph entitled “Chemotherapy of Advanced Epithelial Cancer.” Abel presented a comprehensive analysis of clinical trials and publications representing over 3,000 articles examining the value of chemotherapy on advanced epithelial cancer. Epithelial cancer is the type of cancer with which we are most familiar, arising from epithelium found in the lining of body organs such as the breast, prostate, lung, stomach, and bowel. From these sites, cancer usually infiltrates adjacent tissue and spreads to the bone, liver, lung, or brain. With his exhaustive review, Abel concluded.... “Many oncologists take it for granted that response to therapy prolongs survival, an opinion which is based on a fallacy and which is not supported by clinical studies.”
In 1974, 2.4 million unnecessary surgeries were performed, resulting in 11,900 deaths at a cost of $3.9 billion. In 2001, 7.5 million unnecessary surgical procedures were performed, resulting in 37,136 deaths at a cost of $122 billion (using 1974 dollars).
In 1978, the US Office of Technology Assessment (OTA) reported: “Only 10-20% of all procedures currently used in medical practice have been shown to be efficacious by controlled trial." In 1995, the OTA compared medical technology in eight countries (Australia, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, the UK, and the US ) and again noted that few medical procedures in the US have been subjected to clinical trial. It also reported that US infant mortality was high and life expectancy low compared to other developed countries.
In 1983, 809,000 cesarean sections (21% of live births) were performed in the US, making it the nation's most common obstetric-gynecologic (OB/GYN) surgical procedure. In 2001, cesarean section is still the most common OB/GYN surgical procedure. Approximately 4 million births occur annually, with 24% (960,000) delivered by cesarean section. In the Netherlands, only 8% of births are delivered by cesarean section.
HAVE THINGS CHANGED?
OBESITY, DEPRESSION, LOSS OF LIBIDO, AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP TO POOR GUT HEALTH
I love it! My wife comes home from the gym with a testosterone buzz and attacks me. A patient explaining one of the benefits of his wife's new-found love of Strength Training.
When I woke up mom and dad were rolling on the couch. Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out. Cheap Trick from 1978's Surrender.
When you look at lists of the things that most commonly affect one's sex drive in an adverse manner (whether male or female), there are two that seem to come up over and over and over again; Depression and Obesity. If you follow my blog, you'll see that I have written about both topics extensively. My goal is to help those of you dealing with this unhappy triad of OBESITY (be aware that it's possible to fall into this category even if you are 'SKINNY'), DEPRESSION, and Low Libido, get your lives back without feeling the need to resort to dangerous and addictive drugs.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SEX
- Relieving Stress / Lowering Stress
- Lowering Blood Pressure
- Immune System Booster / Less Illness / Less Cancer
- Heart Healthy
- Improved Self Esteem
- Increased levels of Oxytocin / Increased Intimacy / Increased Connectedness
- Endorphin Release / Natural Pain Relief
- Look Younger / Live Longer
- Strengthens Pelvic Floor and Core Muscles / Can be a form of Exercise
- Improves Sleep
- Improved Mood / Anti-Depressive Qualities (INTERESTING STUDY ON THIS TOPIC)
Unfortunately, not only are increasing numbers of couples not having much sex, many are actually in marriages that are, by definition, "sexless" (less than once a month or less than 10 times per year). This begs the question as to how much sex is "normal"? Although every couple is different, over the past twelve years, the average for married couples here in America has dropped from 132 times per year to 103 times per year (-22%). After a little study on the matter, it's not difficult to figure out why.
IF SEX IS SO GOOD FOR PEOPLE, WHY IS THE FREQUENCY DROPPING SO DRAMATICALLY?
Obesity is associated with depression.... Persons with severe obesity may represent an “at-risk” population...... This association between severe obesity and depression is also of interest to clinicians, since depression is associated with poorer treatment outcomes. Is Obesity Associated with Major Depression? Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Johns Hopkins University, from the 2003 issue of The American Journal of Epidimiology
Overall, poor health has a negative impact on sexual function. Illnesses that interfere with endocrine systems are particularly important in the impairment of female sexual desire. Several lines of evidence have revealed a link between sexual desire and levels of androgens [Too little or too much testosterone --- PCOS] in women. Consequently, disorders of ovarian function and of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis have been associated with decreased sexual desire and arousal..... Some drugs (especially selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and antipsychotics) have also been linked to orgasm disorders...... Untreated depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders have been linked to problems with sexual desire and arousal. Excerpted from From Hence Comes HSDD? Sharon J. Parish, MD, from the July 2009 issue of the Journal of Family Practice.
The numbers speak for themselves. 12% of American women and nearly 7% percent of American men aged 18 and older (over 12 million and 6 million respectively) deal with Clinical Depression --- numbers that skyrocket far beyond this if you figure in sub-clinical Depression as well as those who have never been 'officially' diagnosed. If you factor in the fact that Depression is characterized as a disturbance in one's mood, which is characterized by feelings of sadness, anger, low self-esteem, general loss, and loss of interest in pleasurable activities, you begin to see where this is headed. Take it a step further and notice that the scientific-medical literature on the subject also strongly associates Depression with a PATHOLOGICAL CRAVING for processed carbohydrates. Once you understand that the vast majority (90 - 95%) of the body's serotonin (a 'feel-good' neurotransmitter) is manufactured in the Gut (HERE), the link between Depression and loss of libido starts to become more clear.
A 1995 study done at Massachusetts Institute of Technology called Brain Serotonin, Carbohydrate-Craving, Obesity and Depression, and published in the medical journal Obesity Research, had this to say on the subject, "Serotonin-releasing brain neurons are unique in that the amount of neurotransmitter they release is normally controlled by food intake: Carbohydrate consumption. Serotonin release is also involved in such functions as sleep onset, pain sensitivity, blood pressure regulation, and control of the mood. Hence many patients learn to overeat carbohydrates (particularly snack foods, like potato chips or pastries, which are rich in carbohydrates and fats) to make themselves feel better. This tendency to use certain foods as though they were drugs is a frequent cause of weight gain, and can also be seen in patients who become fat when exposed to stress, or in women with premenstrual syndrome........"
I would think that we would all agree that Depression needs to be treated. The problem though is that treating Depression with anti-depressant medications can be a double-edged sword that often produces a vicious (and sexless) cycle. This is because not only is Depression a libido destroyer in and of itself, but so are the medications used to treat it.
Depression is bad news for the libido because while it is sapping one's sex drive, the antidepressants prescribed to treat it are doing the same thing. The conclusion of a large meta-analysis of studies on this topic was published in Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Psychiatry in 2010. The study called, Overweight, Obesity, and Depression: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Longitudinal Studies, said that, "This meta-analysis confirms a reciprocal link between depression and obesity. Obesity was found to increase the risk of depression, most pronounced among Americans and for clinically diagnosed depression. In addition, depression was found to be predictive of developing obesity." And the kicker is that despite most drug's warning labels saying that somewhere between 2 and 16% of those on antidepressants (SSRI's) will develop sexual side effects, many experts say that 40% of those on anti-depressants develop diminished libido. Both groups might be significantly underestimating the problem.
The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry published a study clear back in 2001 that looked at the medical records of 1,000 individuals who were being treated for Depression at the University Hospital of Salamanca (Spain). A whopping 57% of the women reported sexual side effects of their treatment --- mostly SSRI's. The most common were loss of libido and orgasm dysfunctions such as inability to orgasm or painful orgasm. And while the women's side effects were considered to be more severe, men were affected at a rate that was actually 5% higher than the women. The results were similar in a South Korean study that was published in a 2010 issue of the medical journal Psychiatry Investigations. After looking again at the effects of SSRI's on sexual health, the authors concluded that, "The incidence of sexual dysfunction was substantially high during antidepressant treatment..... Our study suggests the need for clinicians to consider the impact of pharmacotherapy on patients' sexual functioning in the course of treatment with antidepressants."
The bottom line is that I could quote the scientific research all day long, as there are literally hundreds --- probably thousands of studies on the topic. Instead of doing that, I want to leave you with a few things that you can do to boost your sex drive naturally. These are not gender-specific and unless otherwise noted, will work equally well for both men and women. They are in no particular order.
BOOSTING LIBIDO NATURALLY
- KILL STRESS: I get it. Getting rid of stress is not as easy as simply wishing it away. But remember this. Prolonged stress leads to ADRENAL FATIGUE (the older name for Fibromyalgia). If you cannot get the stressors in your life under control (family, relationships, job, diet, etc), it will be difficult to deal with the underlying causes of diminished libido. By the way, there are lots of studies saying that sex itself is a great stress reliever. Think about this treatment cycle for a moment; more sex, less stress, increased libido, more sex, less stress, increased libido. I realize it's not that easy, but it is definitely a noble goal.
- WORK ON THE RELATIONSHIP: I do not claim to be some sort of 'Relationship Sherpa'. However, my wife is --- she's a marriage counselor, and some of her wisdom has rubbed off on me (she might sometimes debate this). You'll need to communicate well, spend quality time with your spouse (can anyone say "Date Nite"?). Remember though that even though the emotional side of diminished libido gets a lot of play, you cannot neglect the physical side and hope to solve your problem(s).
- CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR: Let me qualify this statement by saying that many people (both men and women) who are at or near a 'normal' weight, are, metabolically speaking, obese (HERE). Virtually everything that is related to health comes back to blood sugar, and whether or not it is being regulated properly --- even if you have not (yet) been told you have DIABETES. One of the single most important things that you can do for your sexual health and libido is to deal with UNCONTROLLED BLOOD SUGAR. Listen up men. Your POT BELLY is FEMINIZING YOU! You are not only causing Depression, lethargy, and diminished physical performance, you are essentially castrating / neutering yourself with high blood sugar, high insulin levels, and the subsequent weight gain which, sooner or later, is sure to follow. By the way, if you are a woman who is struggling with female issues in general, please take a few minutes to read my piece called BEATING INFERTILITY NATURALLY (it is not just about fertility). Oh, and what is the best way to control your blood sugar...............?
- EAT A LOW CARB DIET: Have you picked up on the fact that the scientific literature is showing that both depressed and obese individuals lean heavily toward SUGAR / CARB ADDICTIONS? Despite this, there are MANY PEOPLE who promote high carbs to boost both Serotonin and mood. HERE is the information on using a Low Carb Diet to break the cycle and provide A SEROTONIN BOOST. As I stated earlier, over 90% of the "feel good" neurotransmitter Serotonin is found in the gut. Thus, it only makes sense to........
- FIX YOUR GUT: I have already shown you that Gut Health is intimately tied to Depression. My blog also happens to be full of posts on the relationship between Gut Health and Obesity. But did you know that POOR GUT HEALTH is being tied as a root cause of nearly every health issue you can imagine (MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU READ THIS)? If you are one of the tens of millions of Americans who (almost always unknowingly), is dealing with LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, there is no way that you are going to have a healthy sex drive. One of the best ways to positively affect Gut Health is to....
- GO GLUTEN FREE: Gluten Free is not a big leap if you are already eating Low Carb. In case you have not been reading my blog on a regular basis, let me just remind you that almost every health problem you can name is being linked back to Uncontrolled Blood Sugar and GLUTEN --- HERE is one example. Just a few short years ago (2010), a study published in The Journal of Reproductive Health showed how Gluten was directly involved with a plethora "Reproductive Symptoms" seen in prior studies on sexual health. The bottom line is that sick people usually see incredible improvement when they go GLUTEN FREE. Oh, and if you do not understand GLUTEN CROSS REACTIVITY, read the link.
- EXERCISE: Do I even need to talk about this? There are about a jillion studies linking moderate exercise to lower incidence of Depression, Stress, and Obesity. There are probably just as many showing the link between exercise and improved sex drive (I Googled 'exercise sexual health' and got nearly 17 million hits). I am not going to belabor this point, but you should value yourself / your spouse enough to EXERCISE 20-30 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week. If you are discouraged about exercising, READ THIS.
- BEWARE OF MEDICATIONS: Have you seen the list of meds that can ruin one's sex drive? It is downright freaky (HERE). There are a host of meds (including birth control pills, high blood pressure medications, ANTIBIOTICS that all destroy Gut Health, and STATINS) that diminish sex drive. It is critical to remember though, that the number one class of medication for fouling up libido is anti-depressants. Of these, SSRI's lead the way. Interestingly enough, another leading class of drugs known for messing up one's sex drive are meant to affect the Gut (anti-nausea and ANTI-ULCER DRUGS).
- UNDERSTAND INFLAMMATION: Although everyone has heard the term "INFLAMMATION" used about a million times, few people really have any idea of what it is. And since Obesity, Depression, and Diabetes are all considered to be "Inflammatory Diseases", it would behoove you to understand a little bit more about Inflammation, what drives it, and how to squelch it.
- UNDERSTAND YOUR THYROID: If you Google "Thyroid Low Libido", you get over three quarters of a million hits. I would suggest you take the time to visit the THYROID EPIDEMIC site for a better understanding of how this all works together. The really cool thing is that many thyroid problems can be effectively dealt with by following the bullet points on this list. Blood Sugar Dysregulation and Thyroid Problems are both problems of the Endocrine System. Do you recall the quote from earlier in the post from the Journal of Family Practice? "Illnesses that interfere with Endocrine Systems are particularly important in the impairment of female sexual desire."
- TAKE THE RIGHT SUPPLEMENTS: What do I recommend? Firstly, I recommend WHOLE FOOD SUPPLEMENTS as just that ---- a "supplement" to a healthy diet. The problem is that most people want a Viagra-like supplement that allows them to keep on destroying themselves with their crappy diets and self-destructive lifestyles (INTERESTED IN FEMALE VIAGRA?). The best natural Testosterone booster is Tribulus Terrestris. A great general libido booster is Ginkgo Biloba (both by Medi-Herb). I am also sold on Symplex M and Symplex F by Standard Process (for men and women respectively). Again, it is far more about your diet (what you are eating or not eating) than it is about spending a lot of money on supplements. And while you are at it, READ THIS ARTICLE on why boosting Serotonin might not be the panacea it has been made out to be.
- GIVE UP THE SMOKES AND DRINK ONLY IN MODERATION: One of the biggest problems with SMOKING is that it hinders blood flow. Without good blood flow, both men and women are going to struggle with satisfactory sex. Too much alcohol not only does the same thing, it is metabolized very similarly to sugar.
- BALANCE YOUR HORMONES: The big driver of libido for both men and women is Testosterone. That's right ladies, the very substance that drives your husband's libido, also drives yours. However, more is not always better. Increased Testosterone in women is heavily associated with (diagnostic of) PCOS --- the most common female hormonal problem in America ---- a problem that actually decreases sex drive. Although I have a lot of information on balancing hormones, the best thing you can do for yourself (other than following these bullet points) is to make sure you are getting just a little bit of high quality protein every two hours. Also make sure to visit our post on XENOHORMONES as well. Understanding this concept is critical to those of you who are in a state of ESTROGEN DOMINANCE (possibly the majority of you, both women and men). Remember just a few points back when I accused overweight men of feminizing themselves? Estrogen causes weight gain, while fat cells (along with the female organs) manufacture Estrogen. Repeat. See the vicious cycle setting up?
Dr. Schierling completed four years of Kansas State University's five-year Nutrition / Exercise Physiology Program before deciding on a career in Chiropractic. He graduated from Logan Chiropractic College in 1991, and has run a busy clinic in Mountain View, Missouri ever since. He and his wife Amy have four children (three daughters and a son).
Brain Based Therapy
Can You Help
Cardio Or Strength
Cold Laser Therapy
Death By Medicine
Degenerative Joint Disease
D's Of Chronic Pain
Evidence Based Medicine
Gluten Cross Reactivity
Ice Or Heat
Jacks Fork River
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Number One Health Problem
Platelet Rich Therapy
Post Surgical Scarring
Re Invent Yourself
Rib And Chest Pain
Scar Tissue Removal
Sleeping Pills Kill
Stay Or Go
Stretching Post Treatment
Tensegrity And Fascia
The Big Four
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Whole Body Vibration