DEFEATING SYSTEMIC YEAST NATURALLY
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CANDIDA
My last post was on PARASITES. I mentioned the fact that "parasitosis" (the condition of having parasites) produces many ill-defined or vague symptoms that are seen in a wide variety of health problems. Candida is no different (and is, by the way, commonly seen concurrently in people who have parasites). Some of the most common signs and symptoms of Candida Infection include......
- YOU'VE TAKEN ANTIBIOTICS: I have repeatedly told my readers that Antibiotics will destroy you. This is because 80% of your body's total Immune System lives in your Gut and is made up largely of bacteria (HERE). Antibiotics kill them all --- the good along with the bad. Once you have tipped the balance in favor of the bad guys, Dysbiotic Infections (see the earlier link -- top paragraph) take over and run rampant. The more Antibiotics you've taken, the greater your potential for problems. Just be aware that there are certain other factors at play. One of the biggest is....
- BLOOD SUGAR DYSREGULATION / SUGAR ADDICTION: Any time you are consuming lots of sugar or high Glycemic Index carbohydrates, your chances of Systemic Candida go up --- even in the absence of FULL-BLOWN DIABETES. The truth is, dietary sugar becomes the BLOOD SUGAR that is Candida's meal-of-choice. Although there are many reasons for PATHOLOGICAL SUGAR / CARB CRAVINGS, Candida overgrowth is one of the biggies. This is one of the reasons that you will find that the average person struggling with Systemic Candida is severely OVERWEIGHT. Oh, and for those of you who like to consume alcohol more than just "moderately", you must think of it metabolically like you would sugar.
- SYMPTOMS THAT RESEMBLE IBS: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) tends to reveal itself in the form of bloating, foul-smelling gas / bowel movements, and a combination of both diarrhea and CONSTIPATION. These can all occur with Candida. By the way, this is virtually identical to what is seen in people with parasites.
- YOU SMELL BAD: As is the case with any sort of parasitosis or other forms of Dysbiosis, the funky junky creatures living, thriving, and reproducing inside of you create toxic waste products. As you might be inclined to guess, the smell of these compounds is not exactly inviting. These smells could be in the form of horrendous B.O. or really bad breath --- or even smelly feet.
- CHRONIC FATIGUE --- MENTAL AND PHYSICAL: Candida is one of those things that just plain drains the life and energy right out of you. These people are mentally tired as well, frequently exhibiting the classic "brain fog" (inability to think, concentrate, remember, or focus). However, it is not uncommon to see DEPRESSION, ADD / ADHD, Anxiety, Mood Swings, Insomnia, and Irritability in these folks as well. HEADACHES are another symptom commonly seen with Candida.
- CHRONIC PAIN / FIBROMYALGIA: When I speak of Chronic Pain here, I am mostly speaking of FIBROMYALGIA. Show me a person suffering with Fibromyalgia (mostly women) who does not have the severe sugar cravings we mentioned earlier, and I'll show you 100 that do.
- OTHER FUNGAL INFECTIONS: These are seen in the form of Oral Thrush (see pic at top of page), Vaginal Yeast Infections, Athlete's Foot, Fingernail / Toenail Fungus, Ringworm and other fungal skin infections, etc, etc.
- AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES: There are a whole host of things that tend to set your body's Immune System in motion the wrong way, and lead it to start ATTACKING ITSELF. One of the biggest of these is GLUTEN. And while there are any numbers of others, Candida holds a prominent position as well. If you are interested in knowing what these Autoimmune Diseases are, HERE is a list.
- FEMALE PROBLEMS: Unfortunately, one of the 'joys' of being a woman, is finding out that you are significantly more likely than men to get most health problems. Candida can be specifically related to almost all of them, including DECREASED LIBIDO. ANEMIA --- also much more common in the female population --- is also widely seen in Candidiasis as well. This might also be a good time to mention the fact that besides Antibiotics, Candida is also widely linked to oral birth control.
- ALLERGIES / SENSITIVITIES / SKIN PROBLEMS: I mentioned Gluten above (HERE are many posts on the topic). These can be both food allergies / sensitivities, as well as seasonal allergies. They might also manifest with Eczema, Psoriasis, rashes, hives, as well as rectal or vaginal itching.
- A GENERALLY WEAK IMMUNE SYSTEM: Candida is another one of those problems that leads to generalized Immune System Dysfunction (you already saw this with Autoimmune Diseases) and weakness. Besides the ALLERGIES mentioned above, it can lead to CHRONIC SINUSITUS, CONSTANT COLDS, ASTHMA, all sorts of chronic infections, sore throats, etc, etc, etc. As you can see, the big problem here is that when you go to your doctor with these things, what are you most likely to be given? That's right --- more Antibiotics. And the viscous cycle continues.
- OTHERS: There are a number of others that I could have put here as well. Be warned that some of the foods / drinks associated with supplying "good bacteria" to your Gut (namely SAUERKRAUT & KOMBUCHA) can actually cause (or at least contribute to) Candidiasis when used to excess.
TESTING FOR CANDIDA
Once it is determined that you might have Candida, the question becomes one of diagnosis. The only test I would recommend is the Comprehensive Stool Test with their Candida Intensive Culture tacked on (see YESTERDAY'S POST). Not only is this the best test for determining whether or not you have Candida, it is also the best test for determining whether or not you have Parasites. And since the symptoms of each are so similar, you will be killing two birds with one stone. However, for those of you who do not wish to spend any money, there is a well-known and widely-used Candida test you can do at home. Rather than me explain it for you, I will let DR. OZ do it for me.
"Take a clear glass of water and spit into it within 30 minutes of waking up. Make sure you build up a bunch of saliva, but just saliva from your mouth – don’t cough up anything. Do this before you rinse, spit or put anything into your mouth. Then wait for 15 minutes. Your saliva will float on the surface of the water, which is normal. However, if you see cloudy saliva that sinks to the bottom of the glass like sediment, you may be seeing colonies of yeast. You may also see the saliva on the top with tiny strings that start to hang down that may look like jellyfish, hair, or spider legs, or suspended specks of yeast floating in the middle of the glass."
OK; you have Candida. What are you going to do about it?
- EDUCATE YOURSELF: I firmly believe that if you do not understand things like INFLAMMATION, GUT HEALTH, or why ANTIBIOTICS are one of the most seriously dangerous / destructive medications you can put in your body, you will be hard-pressed to "kick Candida" permanently. The truth is, you will probably not be able to defeat this problem without eating an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET. For more information, make sure you check out yesterday's post (link given earlier).
- GET OFF THE SUGAR AND STARCH: We know that SUGAR FEEDS CANCER. In fact, we know that SUGAR feeds virtually all non-genetic disease processes (and some 'genetic' ones as well ---HERE). If you are trying to get free from the claws of Candida and are still not doing a PALEO DIET, I would ask you why not? The truth is, you may have to get really hardcore with your diet and cut out all sugars (even those from things like fruit) in order to lick this thing. For awhile, you may even need to think about a Ketogenic Diet. Be aware, however, that Candida has the ability to live not only off of sugar, but off of ketone bodies as well. Probably why most experts recommend at least some carbs in a Candida Diet.
- CAREFUL WITH THE FERMENTED FOODS: I have already mentioned alcohol and some of the naturally FERMENTED FOODS. Although I certainly don't want people to freak out here, be sure to tread lightly, as the fermentation process often uses yeast. Candida is simply a naturally occurring part of your natural flora (yeast) that has run amok.
- TAKE A BROAD-SPECTRUM PROBIOTIC: Broad-spectrum antibiotics kill numerous types of bacteria. Your Gut contains hundreds (maybe thousands) of different strains / varieties / species of beneficial bacteria. Wouldn't it make sense to take a broad-spectrum probiotic as well? HERE is what I take personally and provide our patients.
- A SERIES OF COLONICS: A person I knew who had struggled with MIGRAINE HEADACHES her whole life was told she had a serious Candida problem that was causing serious chemical sensitivities. After trying any number of things with limited success, she had a series of colonics (colonics are like enemas, only they go the whole five feet of the colon). The person doing the colonics used a machine that saved the stuff caked to her intestinal wall so it could be viewed for diagnostic purposes. She saw it herself and told me it was orange and fuzzy. Was this Candida? Not quite sure, although this is what she was told. What I am sure about is that this person had a dramatic change in her health after this.
- TREAT IT LIKE THE PARASITE IT IS: I have said it before, but parasites and Candida are linked closely enough that most of the things that effectively treat PARASITES are also good for dealing with Candida. Oh; sorry, I may have mentioned this already (are you getting the drift yet?).
- OTHERS: The truth is, there are all sorts of products (many of them proprietary) that you can purchase to help with Candida. Some of these are probably great, many are junk. Some of the things people find helpful in dealing with Candidiasis include Caprylic Acid (from coconuts), Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide, High Fiber, Colloidal Silver, Bentonite Clay, etc, etc, etc. As always, do your own research and realize that defeating Candida is going to require more than taking a bottle of Candida-be-Gone and wishing.