GLUTEN & LEAKY GUT
I just got back from a seminar that was put together by the brilliant DATIS KHARAZZIAN
and presented by equally brilliant SHANE STEADMAN
. It was called, "Gluten and Leaky Gut
". For those of you who are unaware, Gluten is a glue-like protein found in wheat that is itself made up of a combination of two proteins; Glutenin & Gliadin
. This is important for you to know if you read any Gluten Research
One of the questions that I asked myself as a one-time Kansas wheat farmer, is how something that was once so healthy and good (bread is, after all, a Biblical food), can supposedly now be so bad. As crazy as it sounds, I am seeing statistics that show that well over half of all Americans have some degree of sensitivity to wheat protein (Gluten), and this group seems to be growing in both numbers and intensity, with each passing study on the subject (HERE
).This is a big deal because I grew up in the Fat Free Age.
You know ---- the era in which we were told tat dietary fats are the "Great Satan", and if you want to be healthy you need to eat 8-11 servings of grains a day --- the foundation of the Food Pyramid.
THE USDA'S FOOD PYRAMID
REASONS FOR INCREASED GLUTEN SENSITIVITY
Although no one knows the exact reason(s) we have such a growing problem metabolizing wheat here in America, there are a host of theories floating around. My guess is that all of these are working together to cause such an explosion in Gluten Sensitivity. Here are just a few of them.
- GMO / INTENSIVE HYBRIDIZATION: Although you will often hear that wheat has been "Genetically Modified" (GMO), this is not accurate ---- yet. Monsanto is currently working on this. However, because the food industry has an infatuation with gluten (they use it as thickening agents, food starches, malt extract, emulsifiers, stabilizers, and a whole host of common Food Additives), they have been hybridizing wheat for increased gluten content for decades. Although it is difficult to know exactly how much more gluten there is in the wheat than there used to be, suffice it to say that the difference is significant --- particularly in the grade of wheat used for baking.
- THE PROCESS OF DEAMIDATION: Gliadin is not water soluble (it is alcohol soluble). The process of making it water soluble so that it can be used by the food industry is called, Deamidation. A 2003 issue of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology showed that although most people did not react to heirloom varieties of wheat, many had severe reactions to to Deamidated wheat. A shocking study from a 2008 issue of the European Journal of Inflammation confirmed this by touting Deamidated wheat as possibly being the number one source of hidden food allergies and sensitivities. This could be due to the fact that the part of the Immune System that actually attacks invaders (T-cells) is strongly activated by Deamidated Gliadin. Gluten just happens to be the most common benign item that is recognized by the body as foreign.
- CROSS CONTAMINATION: This is simply referring to the fact that when various grains are harvested, hauled, dumped, stored, milled, etc, they will cross-contaminate. For instance, neither corn nor oats contain gluten. However, unless you are purchasing these from a company that is certified "Gluten Free", there will be massive cross-contamination from every step of the process. Bottom line: for a grain to be "Gluten Free", it must never come in contact with grains that have Gluten in them. Think about it; you only hear about Gluten Free Diets. Never "Low Gluten" or "Reduced Gluten" diets. This is because once your body is making antibodies against the Gluten Protein, it takes less than 20 parts per million to trigger a reaction. I treat a school teacher who is so Gluten Sensitive that she has more trouble during the school year, despite being on a strict Gluten Free diet. This is because if she simply has contact with people / children who eat wheat, she reacts. Fortunately her husband is Gluten Free as well.
- LONG TERM WHEAT STORAGE & ACCOMPANYING PROCESSES: When wheat is stored in grain bins, all sorts of really nasty chemicals are mixed with it to keep it from spoiling, as well as keeping bugs from infesting and devouring it. These include antifungals, pesticides, and a slew of other things that you hope to never be exposed to. Then there is the issue of enterotoxins being produced by bacteria in the stored wheat. Enterotoxins are produced by many different bacteria. They are often cytotoxic (they kill cells) and act by altering the membrane permeability of the mucosal cells of the intestinal wall. This sounds like so much medical gibberish until you realize that this process is actually descriptive of something called...........
- LEAKY GUT SYNDROME / INCREASED INTESTINAL PERMEABILITY: Due to INFLAMMATORY processes that occur within the body due to subclinical infections, poor diet, stress, lack of exercise, certain medications, dysbiosis, Gluten Intolerance / Gluten Sensitivity, etc, etc, etc, the "tight junctions" between the mucosal cells of the Small Intestine become loose. This allows food particles, parasites, toxins, virus, bacteria, molds, fungus, too-large food particles, and who-knows-what-else, to be absorbed into the blood stream. Once there, the body recognizes these as foreign and the Immune System begins to attack them. In some cases, this is normal and good, however, the reactions often end up out of control. More information on LEAKY GUT SYNDROME (widely known within the medical research community as "Increased Intestinal Permeability")
- INCREASED STRESS, HYPERACTIVE IMMUNE SYSTEMS, & THE SUBSEQUENT IMMUNE SYSTEM INTOLERANCE: Once the process of Leaky Gut is underway, the results can be devastating. Inflammation causes Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Leaky Gut Syndrome causes Inflammation. The whole thing spins in a viscous cycle, resulting in an almost unlimited number of health problems.
- INFLAMMATION: Although everyone thinks they know what Inflammation is, few people actually know what it is. For more information, see HERE.
- S.A.D: This is the Standard American Diet; and in most Americans, it's far worse than anyone could have even dreamed of 25 years ago. We should be eating vegetation, and animals that ate vegetation (or ate other animals who ate vegetation). Just remember that grain is not vegetation. Oh, and corn ---- it is a grain as well. When you eat a grain-based diet (particularly when those grains are heavily processed), you will eventually end up looking like a corn-fed beef. And never forget that Obesity causes inflammation --- a huge causal component of Leaky Gut Syndrome. Overeating any one particular food ---- especially if that food is a heavily processed grain (wheat), leaves one particularly susceptible to creating antibodies against that food.
- LACK OF THE PROPER ENZYMES TO BREAK DOWN GLUTEN: Guess where enzymes come from? They mostly come from naturally raised and ripened vegetables. Without fresh or frozen vegetables, your digestion will be poor. Without a wide variety of vegetables in your diet, you will have low levels of enzymes, including the enzymes used by the body to break down wheat protein. How big a problem is this? Back when James Dobson was still hosting Focus on the Family, he reported a medical study saying that 1/3 of all American children under the age of 18 got ZERO servings of vegetables a week ---- unless you count ketchup and fries as a vegetable ---- like our Public Schools do.
- A STEADY BARRAGE OF VACCINES AND ANTIBIOTICS FROM CRADLE TO GRAVE: Contrary to popular belief, ANTIBIOTICS do not strengthen the immune system. In fact, one of Medicine's dirty little secrets is the fact that antibiotics actually weaken the immune system ---- severely. What most people are unaware of is that vaccines do the same thing. Sure, they might keep you from getting a certain disease (and they might not), but the process leaves you with an immune system that does not work like God intended it to. People end up trading things like Chicken Pox or Measles for AUTOIMMUNITY. What does the government-backed research say about this? Not much, to be sure. However, if you go online and start searching, it takes about two minutes to realize that this is a huge problem in America ---- and getting worse as the number of vaccines we are giving our citizens skyrockets. The problem with vaccine reactions is that they are neurological and immunological --- particularly difficult to overcome. It also means that they can cause just about any health problem you can imagine. All I can tell you that people who have taken lots of antibiotics tend to be highly intolerant to lots of foods ---- especially wheat. This is most likely a function of the antibiotics destroying the gut's "good bacteria" which make up a whopping 80% OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM. Once the bad bacteria, fungus, candida yeast, etc, take over the gut; the immune system will malfunction. This malfunctioning is frequently in the form of ramped up immune system reactions ---- the immune system reacting to all sorts of benign things that it perceives as threats.
BUT DOC; I'VE BEEN 100% GLUTEN FREE FOR A YEAR - AND I STILL FEEL LIKE CRAP. WHAT GIVES?
If you are dealing with any sort of AUTOIMMUNE ISSUE, it's probably not because Gluten Sensitivity / Intolerance is not a significant part of your problem. More than likely, it has to do with something called Gluten Cross-Reactivity.
Because your body recognizes compounds and chemicals according to their shape, it can, and often does, mistake things with a similar molecular shape to Gluten --- for Gluten itself. As strange as it sounds, you could be having Gluten Sensitivity Reactions to things that are not actually Gluten. What are the most common non-gluten foods that can cause Gluten Reactions? Although there are many, here are the most common in no particular order. These are all checked in one test. One of the really fabulous things about the Gluten Testing we use in our office is that not only does it tell you if you are sensitive to one or more of these foods, it tells you exactly how
sensitive you are.
- Cow's Milk
- Quinoa (A popular African Grain)
- Alpha and Beta-Casein (Milk Protein)
- Casomorphin (fragments of protein from the digestion of Casein)
- Polish Wheat
- Milk Butyrophilin (a protein associated with fat droplets in milk)
- American Cheese
- Chocolate (Milk Chocolate ---- not Dark Chocolate)
- Corn (Almost 100% of America's corn is GMO)
HIDDEN SOURCES OF GLUTEN
What was one of the major differences between WWII and Vietnam? Although there were many; one of the biggies is that in Vietnam our troops never knew exactly who their enemies were. The people who were trying to kill our troops looked suspiciously similar to the people we called allies. This is how it is with Gluten. Not being able to easily recognize sources of Gluten can make going Gluten Free frustratingly difficult. I could give you the lists of off-limits foods here, but it would take a book to cover them all. If you are not sure if it is Gluten Free, it probably isn't. There are tons of websites that have extensive lists of what to avoid, and conversely, what you can safely eat.
And by the way, It's not just about what you eat or do not eat. Gluten is commonly used as a thickening agent / stabilizer in soaps, shampoos, cosmetics, detergents, spices, prescription and OTC medications, toothpaste, mouthwash, stamps, envelopes, and even children's stickers. And we have not even gotten to food items yet! Things like additives, soy sauce, dextrin, fillers, artificial colors, as well as all sorts of things you cannot even begin to imagine, contain gluten. And as I said a moment ago; once you are sensitive, it only takes a microscopic amount to trigger a reaction.
GLUTEN SENSITIVITY / INTOLERANCE
(BLOOD TESTING -vs- INTESTINAL BIOPSY)
The testing we do in our clinic is based on blood. Although this is an extremely accurate test, the only way to get the official
diagnosis of "Celiac Disease
" is via Intestinal Biopsy of the Small Intestine. Firstly, this is a miserable (not to mention costly) procedure to go through. Secondly; although it is considered the Gold Standard as far as Gluten Testing, way too many people with Gluten Sensitivities slip through the cracks. Why is this, and how does it affect those of you dealing with Gluten / Wheat Sensitivities?
Believe it or not, there are still a lot of doctors out there who believe that if you do not have "Celiac Disease", then wheat is not and cannot be your problem. However, the truth is that some people's wheat sensitivities are just as severe, or actually even worse than having full-blown Celiac Disease. Intestinal biopsy is not all it's cracked up to be for many reasons.
For one, the Small Intestine is one of the quickest healing organs in the body. Research tells us that unless the biopsy is done at the right time, in the right place' the intestinal damage will either be missed completely, or healed enough that it does not meet the criteria to be considered Celiac Disease. Just how bad does the damage have to be? The Intestinal cells must be totally destroyed. And if they're not, these people are told that gluten is not the cause of their problems, leaving them spinning on the MEDICAL MERRY-GO-ROUND
. Bottom line, call it whatever you want; if you have a problem with wheat you need to avoid it.
GLUTEOMORPHIN & GLUTEN ADDICTION
Yes, both Gluten and Cassien (milk protein) can act as drugs. This is where the whole Gluten / Milk Sensitivity thing starts to get really insane! My mom's first cousin is an M.D. who not only practices natural medicine, but is a leading authority on Food Sensitivities, with a particular emphasis on Gluten (JIM BRALY
). One of the things I have heard him talk about years ago on one of the nationally syndicated TV talk shows is how people with food allergies or sensitivities are often times severely addicted to the very foods to which they are most sensitive. Part of this is because there is an Adrenal Reaction with these forbidden foods that provides a boost / rush of Epinephrine / Adrenaline (not to mention CORTISOL
). But with the two most allergenic foods on the planet (milk & wheat) things get even crazier.One of the fragments that Gluten is broken down to is called Glutomorphin. If you recognized this as is a combination of the words Gluten and Morphine, you would be correct (milk is broken down to Casomorphin). Morphine is one of the single most addictive compounds known to man. In many individuals (particularly those with Autism Spectrum Disorders and behavior disorders) Glutomorphins
act just like morphine by fitting into Opiate Receptors in the brain.
This is why you can find cases of people (frequently children) consuming soy sauce from the fridge, children's stickers, or even mom's cosmetics (yep, makeup is often thickened with Gluten), to get their gluten fix. As you can imagine, this is a tough one to conquer. Fortunately, Gluteomorphin sensitivity can be tested for. Just remember than an individual whose immune system is making antibodies to gluteomorphins or casomorphins will have a much tougher time in the early phases of a gluten-free diet. In fact, they might get worse for a couple of weeks or so. This group of people will tend toward Bipolar, Self Hate, Depression, and Addictions --- especially food addictions; and especially Gluten-containing foods and processed carbs.
For the record; I am not an expert on Gluten Sensitivity. If you need an expert, follow "The Gluten Doctor", DR. TOM O'BRYAN
. What the public must grasp is that the far-reaching effects of Gluten Sensitivity can make it potential culprit in almost any disease process you care to mention. The truth is that you can be Gluten Sensitive and have no overt stomach or intestinal problems whatsoever. Most people are unaware that the most common Gluten Reactions occur against the brain, skin, and other organs. Gluten Sensitivity can slowly and stealthily wear down the various systems of the body to the point that you become one of the estimated 80 to 160 million Americans with an AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE
. If this is you, get tested and make sure it's the right test.
EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE?
Evidence Based Medicine. It's one of those "feelgood
" Oxymorons. Something that sounds soooooo good on the surface; yet dig a little deeper and you'll find that it carries no real meaning. It's the kind of Double Speak that Orwell wrote of in 1984
. Evidence Based Medicine (EBM) is the term that has been around for the past decade or so, that describes the practice of using scientific research and analysis of Outcome Assessment Questionnaires
to determine which medical interventions work, which don't, and which interventions actually make people worse. But wait a minute. I thought that this was the way that things were supposed
to work in the practice of medicine? Isn't this how things have been done for the past century --- or at least for the last five decades of so? Unfortunately, not. And certainly not when THE FOX IS GUARDING THE HENHOUSE
.Evidence Based Medicine is one of those government programs that reminds me of our government's failed No Child Left Behind program. It makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over when you first hear the concept. But the more you listen, read between the lines, and watch what is really going on; the more you realize you are being bamboozled. NCLB was supposed to be a program that kept less studious children from falling behind, failing, and subsequently dropping out of school. Not only has the program been a miserable (and expensive) failure, but the way in which this program's goals have been achieved (dumbing down educational standards so that anyone and everyone can meet them) are a huge source of national embarrassment within the world's education community.
And it is my contention that the current emphasis on Evidence Based Medicine is nothing more than a similar snow job. Snow job? How can you say such a mean thing? We have graduated beyond the age of Snake Oil and Calomel-based (Mercury) medications have we not?
Unfortunately, a cursory glance at some of our country's dubious VACCINATION POLICIES
tells us that we still have a fascination with both. And the problem goes far beyond that. In similar fashion to a well known child's story, one of the dirty little secrets of our Medical Community is that the emperor is wearing no clothes.
Professor of Health Policy and Management, Dr. David M. Edy, M.D., Ph.D. of Duke University showed us back in the early 90's that less than 15 percent
of all medical interventions are supported by solid scientific evidence. Furthermore, the prestigious BMJ (British Medical Journal
) showed us that only 1% of the articles in Medical Journals are scientifically sound (HERE
). So, should the practice of Chiropractic be lumped in with the medical profession and pharmaceutical industries? I'll let Public Health expert, Dr. Paul G. Shekelle, M.D. answer that with a statement he made on ABC's 20/20 several years ago, "There are considerably more randomized controlled trials which show benefit of this [chiropractic] than there are for many, many other things which physicians and neurosurgeons do all the time.
But maybe --- just maybe ---- things are beginning to change. In a shocking new development, the University of Pittsburgh Health Insurers have actually mandated
that people have to try a course of chiropractic care before undergoing many spinal procedures (surgeries). Yes, things may be changing; but is it really Evidence Based Medicine? Absolutely not ---- not by a long shot! And as long as the practice of Medicine is being largely funded and run by big Pharma, it won't be! This is why I started doing Video Testimonials last year.I have lived in Missouri --- the 'Show Me" state since I was 21 years old. As I have always told patients, the proof is in the pudding. Just show me the evidence! OK; here it is. If you want to see a real picture of Evidence Based Medicine, look no further than our VIDEO TESTIMONIAL PAGE (and HERE)
. It is common place at Schierling Chiropractic, LLC to make quick changes in people who have suffered with a wide variety of health problems for 10, 20, 30, 40
----- or EVEN 70 YEARS
. I am the last resort for most of the patients I treat. And guess what? Virtually every single one of these people had immense amounts of "Evidence Based Medicine
" performed on them before seeing me. Did it help them? Just watch the videos and judge for yourself!
Can I help each and every person I see here at Schierling Chiropractic, LLC? Certainly not ---- and I would never hope to lead people to believe otherwise. But is what I am doing here "Evidence Based"? Although many would say that its not for various reasons; not only would I say yes, I would say "YES!
" If I think I can help people, I help them and do it as quickly as is humanly possible. If I cannot help them, I try to get them to someone who can. Period.Dr. Shawn Thistle recently wrote, "I have always been a proponent of adopting the term 'evidence-informed practice' because I feel it better reflects the reality of knowledge transfer into clinical decision making and patient care. What many forget is that 'evidence-based medicine' (EBM), as it was originally proposed, includes 3 equally important pillars: 1) The best available evidence.
2) The experience of the treating clinician.
3) The preferences of the patient regarding their care. I feel the term 'EBM' may overemphasize the importance of #1, at the expense of #s 2 and 3.
And guess what? Dr. Shawn is correct. And think about why
he's correct. The 'evidence' that doctors base their treatment on is constantly changing! As a person who has always been interested in nutrition (I was a part of Kansas State University's Nutrition / Exercise Physiology dual degree program 25 years ago), I have seen the "Evidence
" in the field of nutrition change time and time again. Allow me show you a few examples of "Evidence
" from the world of nutrition.Eggs and red meat used to be thought to be the cause high cholesterol (HERE). We used to think that carbs could not make you fat or sick --- only dietary fat could do that. Now we know better (HERE).
Dietary Salt was, until very recently, thought to be the cause of High Blood Pressure (HERE
). Now we know better. Oh, some day the pendulum will swing back and we will realize that EBM was not all it was cracked up to be. But until then, it's what we are stuck with.And is Evidence Based Medicine even a reality. I say not. Because so much of what we today call "Science" actually goes to the highest bidder, EBM is a mere pipe dream, with true healers getting crushed under the wheels of Corporate Medicine and Big Pharma.
PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME TESTIMONIAL
Marian Harris of West Plains, Missouri has struggled with leg pain and Sciatica for over 13 years. This video was shot approximately four months after having Tissue Remodeling for Piriformis Syndrome done exactly one time. Thanks for the Video Testimonial Marian!
OVER 63 YEARS OF SERVICE
The thought of retirement makes me shudder. One of the many things that I have always loved about the Chiropractic profession is how many "old timers" are still in practice. It is not uncommon to go to Chiropractic seminars or meetings and meet chiros who have been in practice 50, 60, or even 70 years. I well remember meeting and talking with AJ Kessinger shortly before he passed away after nearly three quarters of a century of practice.
Virtually all of these men and women do this for one reason and one reason only ----- their love of helping sick and hurting people. The only other profession that I think might be comparable as far as being called to do what you are doing to a ripe old age might be pastoring. It is a phenomenal feeling to get up in the morning and actually look forward to going to work. May God richly bless you Dr. Hatten for your service to your country, your community, and your profession.
Dr. Russell Schierling
Dr. R.G. Hatten, D.C., F.I.C.C. announces his retirement, effective June 8th, 2012, after 63 plus years of chiropractic service. He counts his blessing daily for a successful chiropractic career but, first and foremost for a wonderful family, his wife, Lillie of 68 years, 3 wonderful children, their spouses, 8 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren. The highlight of his life was when his son, Dr. Rob, joined him in his practice almost 37 years ago. Their dedication marks a combined total of 100 years of primary care as chiropractic physicians.
Dr. Hatten first opened his office on the 2nd floor of the J.C. Penny’s building and moved to the Jennings Building in 1951. He purchases the Professional Building on the northwest corner of the square in 1957. After extensive remodeling, he opened his office at the present location in 1958. Gratitude is expressed to long-term employees Gladys Blakeman and Sharon Greer.
Dr. Hatten states that he owes a debt of gratitude to his patients, friends, and acquaintances for all the support they have given him these many years. He has treated four generations of many families. Dr. Hatten also states that he is blessed that God has given him the energy, good health, and time to give back to his community and his alma Mater, Cleveland Chiropractic College where he graduated after serving 3 years in World War II with the 511th Parachute Regiment.
Dr. Hatten has served many years as an elder of the Butler Presbyterian Church. His other community service includes: Butler City Council, 6 years on the Butler RV School board, president of the Junior Chamber of Commerce, President of Butler Lions Club, Commander of the American Legion (60 year member), he is a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason, a member of Ararat Shrine Center where he served as Membership Chairman in 1982, Chairman of the Executive Board in 1999. He also is a member of the Legion of Honor and the Royal Order of Jesters, having served as Director in 2002 and a recipient of the coveted Hugh Libby award. He is an original Board Member of Butler Enterprise Corporation (55 year member), Worshipful Master of Butler Masonic Lodge (60 year member), current member of Board of Directors Community First Banks. His activities with the youth of Butler include co-managing Food Town Little League Baseball Team with C. A. Moore, an assistant Scout Master with Dr. C. W. Luter, and a Sunday school teacher. Dr. Hatten served 6 years on the Board of Trustees of Cleveland Chiropractic College, his Alma Mater, where he received the Alumnus of the Year Award in 1984 in recognition of his generous commitment and dedication to the college. In 2003, he was designated as a Cleveland Star and is a member of the Ambassador’s Society of the College. He is a fellow of the International College of Chiropractic, a member of Chiropractic Knights of the Round Table, and a member of the Missouri State Chiropractors’ Association. Dr. Hatten was included in the National Directory of Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals.
In closing, Dr. Hatten stated that he felt confident that his patients would continue to receive the same dedicated care from Dr. Rob at the same location. The office will be open from 8:00 – 5:00 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, with office hours from 8:00 to noon on Saturday.
EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT TENSEGRITY, BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK
BUILDING A DINOSAUR
Image by Matt Martyniuk
Have you ever wondered how in the world God designed some dinosaur necks to function despite the fact that they can be so long? It's a great question. If the animal's neck were in a vertical position most of the time, we would say that it is supported by its neck vertebrae. However, some of these species of dinosaurs, Amphicoelia Fragillimus, for instance, were over 200 feet long with necks known to be over 60 feet long ---- necks that more than likely stayed in a horizontal position most of the time (see pictures above). Although many experts want you to believe that the dinosaur's ability to hold its neck up is a simple feat of evolutionary engineering (a true oxymoron to say the least), standard engineering techniques such as Cantilevers and Suspensions no more explain this phenomenon than standard Newtonian Physics can completely explain a nuclear reaction. Let's look at how most scientists believe the neck of a dinosaur is supported.
Photo by User:LeaonardG
Photo by Adrian Pingstone
Cantilevers provide support via anchoring something rigid, at only one end. This allows for long rigid, overhanging, structures to be accomplished with seemingly little support. Notice how rigidity is a necessary component of a functional cantilevered system. If any part of the structure's framework is not rigid, Cantilevering is impossible. Suspensions work via towers that suspend cables which are then anchored to each end or section of a bridge. Again, rigidity is a necessary component of all but the cables in Suspensions. But what about a 60 foot dinosaur neck that is not rigid in any sense of the word?
How do either one of the above properties of engineering explain a dinosaur's ability to hold up a 60 foot long neck? As we just said, both systems only work with rigid materials (airplane wings, a wooden deck, a concrete foundation, structural beams, steel cables, concrete towers, etc). And the longer the structure being worked with, the taller, stronger and more heavy duty the towers and supports need to be. Large Suspensions will also require lots of incredibly strong / heavy supporting cables. But what about living tissues --- particularly soft tissues (Connective Tissues) that do not contain the kind of rigidity needed under the old models? Bottom line, we cannot explain a dinosaur's ability to hold up its neck using outdated biomechanical models. Enter Tensegrity.
The term "tensegrity" was coined by American theorist, architect, designer, author, engineer, and inventor, Buckminster Fuller (1895-1983). Tensegrity (aka Tensional Integrity, sometimes called "Floating Compression") is a term that describes, "The use of isolated components in compression inside a net of continuous tension, in such a way that the compressed members (usually bars or struts) do not touch each other and the pre-stressed tensioned members (usually cables or tendons) delineate the system spatially."
Although Fuller introduced this idea to the scientific / architectural community decades ago, it has been increasingly used by cutting edge scientists, physicians, and engineers, to describe cellular biomechanics. People who deal with bio-physics on a daily basis realized that current mechano-structural models of the body are outdated and too simplistic to provide valid explanations of what is really going on in the body. Probably the best known (and most brilliant) of the group is Dr. Donald Ingber (SEE HERE
). But there are many others as well. The following is a short list of some of the more well-known scientists and doctors who promote and study the Tensegrity Model of tissue integrity and support.
- Dr. James Oschman
- Dr. Helene Langevin
- Dr. Stephen Levin
- Tom Flemmons
- Dr. Jean-Claude Guimberteau
- Kenneth Snelson
- Dr. Roth's video of Dr. Levin
But is there any scientific evidence to back the model being touted by this growing number of scientists? A GOOGLE SCHOLAR SEARCH
provides over 3,500 scientific articles on Tensegrity. This paradigm shift in the relationship between structure and function is radically changing the way that we think about both DISEASE PROCESSES
and CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES
. WARNING: Let me warn you about Tensegrity and the writings of Carlos Castaneda. Castaneda was a new age guru and self-proclaimed shaman. Decades ago, Castenda hijacked the term “Tensegrity” and redefined it to mean a type of ritualistic movement practiced by ancient Mexican / Indian medicine men. Because of this, much of the scientific community has moved away from the term “Tensegrity” to the term, "biotensegrity". I will also warn you that Tensegrity is a concept that evolutionists (which includes the largest portion of the scientific community) point to as "proof" that advanced structures can somehow build themselves into increasingly complex structures. This is simply not possible under the Second Law of Thermodynamics; Entropy.
PICTURES OF TENSEGRITY
Photo by Ben Stephenson
Animation by User:Cmglee
Tesegrity is an architectural concept that is the most accurate model of how cells function with each other on a structural (cellular) level. One of the principles of Tensegrity is that the structure maintains its shape and function no matter what position (upside down, horizontal, etc) it is in. The Video below will show this.
All matter is suspended in a delicate balance between tension (pulling forces) and compression (pushing forces). I am supported by the ground; the tire swing my daughter is playing on hangs from the tree limb. There are no other ways to support something. Everything else is a mixture of tension and compression --- push and pull. In the body, the Tensegrity Matrix helps to explain some of the amazing relationships between distant structural components. It extends to the basic concept of the tissue response to injury far beyond the level of joint, muscle and ligament, to include all structures of the body as potential sources of mechanical, electrical, and chemical dysfunction.
To better understand this model, just visualize the various tissues of the body as being composed of interconnected triangular structures (see the video below or the animation above), which are constantly under a degree of both tension and compression (again, see the video below). This "push / pull" relationship provides an inherent balance between motion and stability. From the video below, you can see how this new model is able to better explain whole body motion, joint motion, injury and injury responses, as well as the reason that the Fascial Adhesions that I deal with on a daily basis in my clinic, are so destructive to one's health and
have the ability to cause such severe pain.
When Connective Tissues loose their ability to adapt and compensate to their environment, they become chronically Fibrotic. These fibrosis are not necessarily the Fascial Adhesions of trauma that we see in so many people, but instead are the result of day to day to day postural distortions and repetitive actions that many of us perform at work. When the Fascia looses its normal patterns of tension and elasticity, it can literally become overwhelmed by mechanical stress ---- stress that translates, as we saw in yesterday's Blog Post, into both Chronic Pain Syndromes and Various Disease Processes. This is because Tissue Fibrosis (microscopic scarring and dysfunction) results in aberrations of the tissue's mechanical as well as its chemical and electrical properties. Bottom line: whether symptomatic or asymptomatic, if you have FASCIAL ADHESIONS, TENDINOPATHIES
, or VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATION
, you are moving away from being a pliable, stretchy, elastic, and healthy creature, to one that is rigid, stiffened, strained, and sick.
Notice the Dinosaur-Neck-Like Model in the Third Frame
RESTORE TISSUE TENSEGRITY
DESTROY CHRONIC PAIN
CONNECTIVE TISSUE ADHESIONS & VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATIONS
THE COMMON CAUSE OF ALL DISEASE?
HEALTHY VERTEBRATE AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE
Photo by Tomwsulcer
Photo by Nephron
Photo by Procsilas Moscas
SUBLUXATION AND SCAR TISSUE
Photo by Tomwsulcer
Photo by KGH
Photo by Martyn Gorman
Although I do not believe that on this side of The Ressurection we will find "ONE CAUSE, AND ONE CURE
" for all human sickness and disease; there is some fascinating research floating around the research portion of the medical community concerning something that mankind has been searching for practically since the beginning of time ---- Medicine's Holy Grail ---- the "Common Cause
". Is this search for a Universal Cause of all sickness and disease a pipe dream, or could we be closer to finding a solution to human suffering than anyone could imagine?
There are four types of tissue in the body. Epithelial Tissue, Muscle Tissue, Nerve Tissue, and Connective Tissue. The Connective Tissues that I primarily deal with in my clinic are bone, FASCIA
, and TENDONS
(by the way, I frequently categorize MUSCLES
as a Connective Tissue even though this is not technically accurate). Once you start to understand a little bit about the way the body functions, it is not a reach to grasp how big a part FASCIAL ADHESIONS
play not only in the development of numerous and sundry CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROMES
, but in the development of various disease processes as well.
In the quest to find a "Common Cause" of all disease, men have believed a wide variety of different treatments to be the solution. These ranged from things as radical as suicide, to holes drilled through the head, and virtually everything in between. This is because over the centuries, this Common Cause has been thought to be things as diverse as karma, harmful vapors, germs, bad genes, and even evil spirits.
Well over 100 years ago, two pioneers in the field of Natural Medicine, B.J. PALMER
(Chiropractic) and A.T. STILL
(Osteopathy) developed healing philosophies and systems based on their belief that there was a common cause of all disease. And although they did not agree on what this common cause was, they may have both been closer to the truth than anyone could have possibly known at the time. The former thought that this "Common Cause" was nerve interference caused by misaligned or malfunctioning vertebrate, while the later believed that disease was caused largely by restrictions or ADHESIONS OF THE FASCIA
. It seems that medical research may be proving both of them correct. Enter Dr. Donald Ingber.DR. DONALD INGBERDR. INGBER
is a cell biologist. But he is not your ordinary, average, every-day cell biologist. He also happens to be a medical doctor with advanced degrees in molecular biophysics and cellular biochemistry (all from Yale). He was part of the Vascular Biology Program in the Department of Surgery and Pathology, at Children’s Hospital of Harvard Medical School, where he was a researcher and pathologist, until 2008 when he was named a professor of bio-engineering at the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Dr. Ingber has published nearly 300 research papers in peer-reviewed scientific / medical journals, and a recent bio stated that, "Ingber's insights have helped create the fields of mechanobiology, angiogenesis, tissue engineering, nanobiotechnology, and biomimetics
". In other words, Dr. Ingber is no flunky.
In a 2003 article published in the Annals of Medicine
titled Mechanobiology and Diseases of Mechanotransduction
, Dr. Ingber shed some new light on an old topic ---- the search for the "Common Cause" of sickness and disease. Although Dr. Ingber himself would never tout his research as a quest to find the elusive "Universal Cause", he certainly believes that the basis of the largest percentage of today's diseases is directly related to dysfunctional mechanoreception / proprioception of Connective Tissues. O.K. We already know what Connective Tissues are, but what in the world is proprioception / mechanoreception, and how does it relate to health?MECHANORECEPTION / PROPRIOCEPTION
The word “proprioception
” (aka mechanoreception) comes from two words. First is the Latin word “proprius
”, meaning “one’s own
”, and second is the word “perception
”, meaning the process by which one translates sensory input into a coherent and unified picture of one’s environment
. Thus, proprioception
is the sense or “perception” of the relative position of various parts of the body in relationship to their environment. In other words, proprioception is your body's ability to unconsciously know where its various body parts are in space as well as how they are moving
in relationship to each other at all times and in all circumstances.
It is this internal sense of proprioception that indicates whether the body (or a part of the body — i.e. a limb) is moving, how fast it is moving, what direction its moving, and how much energy is being expended to move it; as well as where the various parts of the body are located in space ----- in relation to every other part of the body. Incredible proprioceptive ability is one of the things that makes a great athlete a great athlete (sometime watch some Johnny Manziel or old Tommie Frazier highlights). As you start to grasp how complex and vital proprioception is, you can begin to understand why it has been said that it is more important than the inner ear for balance!
When proprioceptive nerve endings (mechanoreceptors) are stimulated via stretch, movement, or pressure, the nerve input is fed to the brain via the spinal cord and nerve system. Once in the brain (cerebellum), these impulses are translated and then integrated into something the body can understand. Messages are then created and sent out to the various parts of your body. There is a continual feedback loop, and the whole thing takes microseconds to accomplish. When it all works perfectly, things are grand. However, when this system begins to break down, all sorts of problems can arise --- many of them ugly, severe, and as you'll soon see; not well understood by the average doctor. What are the most common ways that this system goes haywire?
- FIRSTLY: Abnormal mechanoreception causes DEGENERATION of the affected joint. This is a well known fact that can be found in any Pathology Textbook or from any doctor you care to talk to. Everyone has heard the old adage “Use it or lose it”. Although it is an oversimplified cliché, there is a tremendous amount of truth in these five words. A quick review of the scientific literature on the subject tells us that loss of normal joint motion creates a loss of proprioception that subsequently causes degeneration of the affected joint. Furthermore, it tells us that degeneration of the joint causes abnormal joint motion and a subsequent loss of proprioception. Ladies and Gentlemen; start your cycles --- your viscous cycles! A causes B, and B causes A. Abnormal joint function causes degeneration, but degeneration turns right around and causes abnormal joint function. Not good if you happen to have an injured or dysfunctioning hip, knee, spinal disc, etc.
- SECONDLY: Using this model, let's think about what loss of joint motion and the subsequent loss of proprioceptive input could theoretically do to the various organs and organ systems in the body. Because the brain ultimately controls every function of the body via the spinal cord and nerve system, a loss of range of motion and proprioception has actually been shown to diminish organic (organ) function. Sound crazy? Not to B.J. Palmer. Not to A.T. Still. And certainly not to Doctor Ingber. Allow me to me explain.
It is a simple physiological fact that loss of spinal range of motion due either to Vertebral Subluxation and / or Fascial Adhesion, causes diminished nerve system (proprioceptive) function. Amazingly enough, this loss of mechanoreception turns around and causes a loss of motor nerve function. The real stunner though, is that recent scientific research has shown us exactly how this occurs! In a lecture I attended nearly two decades ago by the venerable Dan Murphy, he showed then-current research saying that in healthy people; for every proprioceptive impulse (sensory – afferent
) that is fired up
to the brain; there are approximately 30 return nerve impulses (motor – efferent
) coming back down
in response. It is the body's motor impulses that tell it what to do and how to function. It is motor function of the nerve system that not only tells my fingers how to type, but also tells my heart to beat, my intestines to work, my body temp to stay at 98.6, and my immune system to attack — or not attack, depending on the threat. THE "VICEROSOMATIC LESION"
Every time a proprioceptive nerve ending is not being stimulated like it should be (usually due to restricted range of motion of a particular joint), 30 returning motor responses from the brain to the body are being inhibited. In other words, loss of spinal range of motion causes a corresponding loss of proprioception affecting motor nerves at an astounding 1 to 30 ratio. This then affects not only the way that muscles and joints function, but the way that organs function as well. Whoa! Sounds like both Dr. Still and Dr. Palmer may have been way ahead of their time! And although these men (particularly BJ Palmer) were frequently labeled by the mainstream medical community as quacks, this concept of the "Vicerosomatic Lesion
" has been in the scientific medical literature since the 1960's. Although it's a three dollar doctor word, "vicerosomatic" simply means that dysfunctioning areas of the spine or body (the soma) can present with palpable, localized, and sensitive symptoms related to corresponding visceral (organ) dysfunction
. And the interesting thing is that the dysfunction cuts both ways. Problems in the viscera can cause problems in the soma, or problems in the soma can cause problems in the viscera.
Bear in mind that in most cases, loss of joint motion is sooner or later going to result in pain. The beauty of gentle Chiropractic Adjustments coupled with SCAR TISSUE REMODELING
is that they not only help relieve pain while restoring range of motion, they actually allow the nerve system and the various functions controlled by the nerve system (basically everything in the body, including organs
!) to function closer to the way they were designed and created to function in the first place. (Read REX'S TESTIMONIAL
of a neck adjustment fixing 42 years of deafness.) BACK TO DR. INGBER
Dr. Ingber believes that modern medicine is far too wrapped up in trying to pin all our health problems on genetics, while mostly ignoring what he believes to be the greatest underlying causes of disease. What are these underlying causes of disease he speaks of? His research in biophysics and pathology have led him to the conclusion that many, if not most of the problems people seek medical care for, are the result of abnormal structure and function of the body's Connective Tissues (bones, ligaments, tendons, fascia, etc). Furthermore, he believes that you cannot truly understand any
disease process without first understanding biomechanics and cell biology ---- the relationship between the way the body functions mechanically, and cellular function.
Remember his article, Mechanobiology and Diseases of Mechanotransduction
that we mentioned earlier? "Mechanotransduction" is defined by Dr. Ingber as the method by which cells both sense and respond to mechanical stresses. In a subtle slap in the face to his own profession, while inadvertently validating what Chiropractors have touted for well over a century, he notes that numerous diseases from across the entire spectrum of medical practice share a "Common Cause". In his article, Dr. Ingber states this about sickness and disease; "their etiology [cause] or clinical presentation [symptoms] results from abnormal mechanotransduction
". In other words, a brilliant medical doctor from Harvard is saying that sickness and disease are being largely caused by loss of PROPRIOCEPTION
, and the subsequent loss of activation of the nerve system that follows. Here are some of the points made by Dr. Ingber in his ground-breaking paper --- a paper that was published almost a decade ago.
- Mechanical forces are critical regulators of cellular biochemistry.
- There is a huge disconnect between ‘genome-age’ technologies and the reality of how diseases manifest themselves. From the time the first human looked, listened and felt for what is wrong with a sick friend, caregivers have recognized the undeniable physical basis of disease.
- In the current genome euphoria, there appears to be no place for ‘physicality’. This is especially worrisome given that abnormal cell and tissue responses to mechanical stress contribute to the etiology and clinical presentation of many important diseases, including asthma, osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, diabetes, stroke and heart failure.
- There is strong mechanical basis for many generalized medical disabilities, such as lower back pain and irritable bowel syndrome, which are responsible for a major share of healthcare costs world-wide.
- In biology and medicine, we tend to focus on the importance of genes and chemical factors for control of tissue physiology and the development of disease, whereas we commonly ignore physical factors. This is interesting because it was common knowledge at the turn of the last century that mechanical forces are critical regulators in biology.
- These new insights into mechanobiology suggest that many ostensibly unrelated diseases may share a common dependence on abnormal mechanotransduction for their development or clinical presentation.
- Understanding of the relation between structure and function in living tissues and of fundamental mechanisms of cellular mechanotransduction may therefore lead to entirely new modes of therapeutic intervention.
- And although medical prejudice is likely the thing that prevented him from adding the words "Chiropractic" or "Chiropractic Adjustments" to the following list, he essentially validates the profession by stating, The therapeutic value of physical therapy, massage, and muscle stimulation is also well known.
In fact, Dr. Ingber goes as far as saying, "Moreover, most of the clinical problems that bring a patient to the doctor’s office result from changes in tissue structure and mechanics. Although these physical alterations have been commonly viewed as the end-result of the disease process, recent advances in mechanobiology suggest that abnormal cell and tissue responses to mechanical stress may actively contribute to the development of many diseases and ailments. Thus, it might be wise to search for a physical cause when chemical or molecular forms of investigation do not suffice."
Listen up people. If you do not grasp how big that this concept being promoted by Dr. Ingber really is, re-read the quote until you do ---- especially those of you who have been through every conceivable medical test in a fruitless quest to figure out what is wrong with you!Although Fascia is a structural tissue, it is the tissue where the vascular system, the nerve system, and the musculoskeletal system all converge into one grand tissue. Yes, this makes Fascia the most potentially pain-sensitive tissue in the body
, but it also helps it transmit electrical messages. Changing the shape and tension on the fascia creates a weak electric current that actually travels along the tissue itself. And as Dr. Ingber has shown, various cells and tissues throughout the body respond to these electrical impulses either positively or negatively depending on many factors. In fact, the current travels along fascia at 720 mph compared to 160 mph for the nervous system.WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
What does this all mean? It means that while their model was far from factually accurate (hard bones pinching soft nerves), chiropractors have been light years ahead of standard drug therapy for well over a century simply because they understood the end result of their adjustments. It also means that Chiropractors are no longer the lone voice crying out in the wilderness. The type of advanced research being done by Dr. Ingber's team is certain to attract a whole host of brilliant doctors, scientists, engineers, and scholars interested in finding that elusive "Common Cause". And while the Osteopathic profession has largely given up on this concept in order to become R.D.'s (Real Doctors), the Chiropractic Profession still largely embraces "The Big Idea
" as espoused by men like Palmer, Still, Ingber, and others. But unfortunately, the process is a long, slow, uphill battle. No; the word "battle
" was not a mistake. In fact, I probably should have used the word "war".
It was the famed inventor, Thomas A. Edison, who stated around the turn of the century that, "The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.
" Talk about a man who was ahead of his time! But much of the medical establishment and and certainly Big Pharma hate this sort of visionary thinking. It lessens (or completely removes) the need for drugs. Drugs equal profits, and this is the sort of information that will bring out the Pharmaceutical Industry's inner pit bull. Believe me when I tell you they will not go down without a fight.
Founding Father and signer of our nation's Constitution, Dr. Benjamin Rush, saw this battle looming just below the horizon nearly 240 years ago when me made the uncanny prediction that, "Unless we put medical freedom into the Constitution, the time will come when medicine will organize itself into an undercover dictatorship.
" Face it. Standard Medical Healthcare is
a dictatorship here in America ---- and a not too "undercover" one at that. But the truth is, your health as well as your healthcare decisions are still up to you. The question now is what are you going to do with them?
| || |
(1882 - 1961)
Original Palmer College of Chiropractic
Photo by BlueDevil
Yesterday, we looked at the life of a visionary healer, DR. ANDREW TAYLOR STILL
. Today we look at B.J. Palmer, the "Developer of Chiropractic
". B.J. was the son of Chiropractic's Founder, D.D. Palmer. And like both his father and A.T. Still, he was a brilliant scientist, clinician, and philosopher, who was truly ahead of his time. Whereas Dr. Still believed that FASCIAL ADHESIONS
were the root of most disease, B.J. believed (and to at least a degree, proved) that a very common cause of disease is NERVE INTERFERENCE
due to VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATION
. In fact, B.J. was so adamant about this premise of his philosophy that he coined the saying, "One cause, one cure
". As far as BJ was concerned, Subluxation was the
cause of all sickness and disease, and Chiropractic Adjustments were the
Vertebral Subluxations occur when individual vertebrate are either misaligned or not moving properly in relationship to each other. Among other problems created by the Subluxation Complex, they irritate nerve function, and interfere with the loop of nerve impulses from the brain to the body and back again via the spinal nerves (kind of like static distorting the music on an old AM radio). Although much greater technical details are known about the Vertebral Subluxation Complex today, much of what BJ discovered and taught was spot on. As you can imagine, subtly blocking nerve impulse can
cause a whole host of health problems, including to, but not limited to pain.In order to promote chiropractic in the medically hostile environment of the early 1900's, BJ was not only a scientist of the highest order, he became an expert at marketing. During his tenure, Palmer College of Chiropractic actually owned a couple of radio and T.V. stations
---- one being the very station where one of America's greatest presidents, Ronald Regan, got his start in the show business industry as a radio announcer.
BJ's 33 PRINCIPLES OF CHIROPRACTIC
In order to understand Dr. B.J.'s 33 Principles of Chiropractic, there a few simple definitions that one must first understand.
- UNIVERSAL INTELLIGENCE: Although BJ was not, as far as I can tell, a Christian; he recognized that life was far too complex to have arisen via random chance, and then developed its incredible diversity via random mutations --- the thing we today call Darwinistic Evolution. Instead of calling this "life force" God, he chose to call it Universal Intelligence. As a Christian, I would attribute things like creation, diversity of life, etc, as the work of God, as accounted in Genesis.
- INNATE INTELLIGENCE: Innate Intelligence is the manifestation of Universal Intelligence (God) within our bodies. We all have an "inborn" or Innate Intelligence that is just simply "there". Is it not amazing that even helpless babies innately know how to suckle their mother's breast? The body also innately knows how to heal itself when the various interferences to its healing processes are removed. Just like BJ said, The same power that made the body heals the body. This is another of BJ's simple principles of Chiropractic.
- EDUCATED INTELLIGENCE: This is our brain power and the things that we learn via both formal and informal education. Just like numerous other genius' of his era, BJ did not have significant amounts of formal education. But, as Dr. Fred Barge always said, "A Degree Doth not a Doctor Make". What B.J. lacked in formal education he made up for in other ways. He had a brilliant mind, the need to figure things out, a love of writing, an insatiable thirst for knowledge, and an almost inhuman drive to advance his belief that Chiropractic was the answer to humanity's illness. Unfortunately, the venerable Dr. Tim O'Shea would agree with me that America's level of Educated Intelligence is diminishing year by year. I am not sure whether "common sense" would fall under Educated Intelligence or Innate Intelligence in BJ's scheme of things.
- VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATION: Vertebral Subluxations are simply Spinal Vertebrate that have lost both normal alignment and motion in relationship to each other. This loss of normal spinal structure and function leads to numerous health problems including NERVE INTERFERENCE, SPINAL DEGENERATION, FASCIAL ADHESIONS, & INFLAMMATION, as well as abnormal tone of the body. And although today's medical community would vehemently deny it, it also leads to almost every disease process you can imagine (Stick around for tomorrow's Blog Post).
Principle # 33: The Law of Demand and Supply: The Law of Demand and Supply is existent in the body in its ideal state; wherein the "clearing house" is the brain, Innate Intelligence the virtuous banker, brain cells "clerks", and nerve cells "messengers".
Principle #32: The Principle of Coordination: Coordination is the principle of harmonious action of all the parts of an organism, in fulfilling their offices and purposes.
Principle #31: Subluxations: Interference with nerve transmission in the body is always directly or indirectly due to subluxations in the spinal column.
Principle #30: The Causes of Dis-ease: Interference with the transmission of Innate forces causes incoordination of nerve impulse, which causes dis-ease.
Principle #29: Interference with Transmission of Innate Forces: There can be interference with the transmission of Innate forces.
Principle #28: The Conductors of Innate Forces: The forces of Innate Intelligence operate through or over the nerve system in animal bodies.
Principle #27: The Normality of Innate Intelligence: Innate Intelligence is always normal and its function is always normal.
Principle #26: Comparison of Universal and Innate Forces: In order to carry on the universal cycle of life, Universal forces are destructive, and Innate forces constructive, as regards structural matter.
Principle #25: The Character of Innate Forces: The forces of Innate Intelligence never injure or destroy the structures in which they work.
Principle #24: The Limits of Adaptation: Innate Intelligence adapts forces and matter for the body as long as it can do so without breaking a universal law, or Innate Intelligence is limited by the limitations of matter.
Principle #23: The Function of Innate Intelligence: The function of Innate Intelligence is to adapt universal forces and matter for use in the body, so that all parts of the body will have co-ordinated action for mutual benefit.
Principle #22: The Amount of Innate intelligence: There is 100% of Innate Intelligence in every "living thing," the requisite amount, proportional to its organization.
Principle #21: The Mission of Innate Intelligence: The mission of Innate Intelligence is to maintain the material of the body of a "living thing" in active organization.
Principle #20: Innate Intelligence: A "living thing" has an inborn intelligence within its body, called Innate Intelligence.
Principle #19: Organic Matter: The material of the body of a "living thing" is organized matter.
Principle #18: Evidence of Life: The signs of life are evidence of the intelligence of life.
Principle #17: Cause and Effect: Every effect has a cause and every cause has effects.
Principle #16 Intelligence in both Organic and Inorganic Matter: Universal Intelligence gives force to both organic and inorganic matter.
Principle #15: No Motion without the Effort of Force: Matter can have no motion without the application of force by intelligence.
Principle #14: Universal Life: Force is manifested by motion in matter; all matter has motion, therefore there is universal life in all matter.
Principle #13: The Function of Matter: The function of matter is to express force.
Principle #12: Interference with Transmission of Universal Forces: There can be interference with transmission of universal forces.
Principle #11: The Character of Universal Forces: The forces of Universal Intelligence are manifested by physical laws; are unswerving and unadapted, and have no solicitude for the structures in which they work.
Principle #10: The Function of Force: The function of force is to unite intelligence and matter.
Principle #9: The Amount of Force Created by Intelligence: The amount of force created by intelligence is always 100%.
Principle #8: The Function of Intelligence: The function of intelligence is to create force.
Principle #7: The amount of Intelligence in Matter: The amount of intelligence for any given amount of matter is always 100%, and is always proportional to its requirements.
Principle#6: The Principle of Time: There is no process that does not require time.
Principle#5: The Perfection of the Triune: In order to have 100% Life, there must be, 100% Intelligence, 100% Force, 100% Matter.
Principle#4: The Triune of Life: Life is a triunity having three necessary united factors, namely, Intelligence, Force and Matter.
Principle #3: The Union of Intelligence and Matter: Life is necessarily the union of intelligence and matter.
Principle #2: The Chiropractic Meaning of Life: The expression of Universal Intelligence through matter is the Chiropractic meaning of life.
Principle #1: The Major Premise: A Universal Intelligence is in all matter and continually gives to it all its properties and actions, thus maintaining it in existence.
THE SEVEN AXIOMS OF CHIROPRACTIC PHILOSOPHY AS SUMMED UP BY DR. JASON BLACKETTER OF BENTONVILLE ARKANSAS
BJ's Work Simplified to Seven Concepts
- Life is intelligently designed and able to heal, adapt, and function in Balance, Harmony, and Ease.
- Your Innate Life Energy (the inborn power source that makes you alive) uses your brain and nerve system to send its life-giving messages (mental impulses) to coordinate / organize / direct all the functions of life…so you can live at EASE and adapt better to stress in your environment.
- Every cell in your body needs a clear neurological connection to the brain in order to function optimally. A reduction OR partial LOSS of this vital brain-to-body connection diminishes the flow of life-giving messages…this state of LESS life energy in the body is called subluxation.
- The results of an incomplete connection to your life energy are: incomplete adaptation, disharmony, imbalance, DIS-ease, and altered cellular function.
- Every single Symptom, Sickness, Syndrome, Disorder, Dysfunction, and Disease known to man results from Altered Cellular Function, LOSS of Coordination & Organization, and a Decreased Ability to fully Adapt to Stress.
- Because of the intimate relationship between the SPINE and NERVE SYSTEM, the spine must maintain proper alignment and balance for the nerves to maintain proper tone and function. A Specific Scientific Chiropractic Adjustment can improve spinal function AND restore your brain-to-body neurological CONNECTION.
- The natural result of maintaining a clear connection between brain & body is: LIFE more at EASE. We expect MORE coordination, balance, harmony, cellular homeostasis, healing & improved health, optimal function, and an on-going movement toward wellness and wholeness.
Do I buy into 100% of what Dr. Palmer was selling as far as his philosophy is concerned? Certainly not. I would never for one moment say that Vertebral Subluxation is the one and only reason that people get sick. I also think that in many ways, BJ had gone beyond philosophy and was was essentially creating his own dogma / religion. However, not only was the man unarguably and brilliantly ahead of his time as far as understanding health, sickness, and disease, as far as their relationship to Spinal Health is concerned; tomorrow, I am going to show you just how far ahead of his time he really was. Come back tomorrow to learn why both B.J. Palmer and A.T. Still were closer to the truth than you might believe.
THE ORIGINAL FASCIA DOCTOR
"I know of no part of the body that equals the fascia as a hunting ground..... All nerves go to and terminate in that great system, the fascia." A.T. Still M.D.
"The soul of man, with all the streams of pure living water, seems to dwell in the fascia of his body" A. T. Still M.D.
It always amuses me when I hear people talking about how intelligent our modern, hi-tech society is, when compared to previous cultures or societies. And on top of this, numerous people have been brainwashed by the medical community into believing that they have all the answers. Sorry. Just compare the average writing and speaking ability of our Founding Fathers; many of whom were teens or very young men when they started their endeavor to bring about a free country (they were statesmen), to today's 'politicians'. And when it comes to healthcare and health philosophy, we have the same sort of situation. Over the next couple of days, we are going to look at B.J. PALMER
, the son of Chiropractic Developer D.D. Palmer of Davenport Iowa, and Andrew Taylor Still (1828 - 1917), and show you that new research is proving both correct.
A.T. Still was a medical doctor who was the son of a medical doctor / preacher who broke away from his chosen profession to begin a new healing art called Osteopathy. In many ways, these early Osteopaths were America's "original" Chiropractors.
Osteopathy was founded in Kirksville Missouri during the late 1800s by Kansas / Missouri physician Dr. A.T. Still. Still was sick and tired of the the inadequacy of treatment options available to his era's doctors. So Dr. Still began a new form of healing that was based on the premise that the body was an incredible creation of God, and that the frame (musculoskeletal system) was far more important than anyone thought at the time. He treated bones for symmetry, FASCIA
to relieve strain, and muscles normalize tone. In fact, he developed a whole new way of thinking about the body. Unfortunately, most of this has been lost by today's osteopaths.
In America, D.O.'s have the same status as M.D.'s. This is largely because during the 1960's, osteopathy sold out to conventional medicine by becoming "physicians" instead of osteopaths. The truth is that few modern osteopaths practice in a fashion even remotely envisioned or taught by its founder Dr. Still. You already know the reason. Money! Osteopathic manipulation, like CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENTS
, take a great deal of time to learn and perfect; and it takes constant practice if the goal is helping people and not hurting them. Unfortunately, today's practice of medicine is not very personalized or family oriented. Instead, it is insurance-based and corporate. The old Osteopaths are long gone. In fact, excepting Doc Wilson, the several from around here had already retired and died by the time I moved here and began my practice two decades ago. Doc Hampton of Summersville, Doc O'Banion of Birch Tree, Doc Barnum of Mountain View, and Doc Wilson in Eminence, as well as a few others. These were the doctors that would not only take care of you when you were sick, but would actually make house calls, deliver your babies, sew you up when you needed stitches, cast your broken bones, and even do minor surgeries --- tonsillectomies, appendectomies, ingrown toenails, etc, right there in the office.
But they also understood the power of adjustments. No, no, no, they did not call them adjustments ---- they were "Osteopathic Manipulations
" ---- usually referred to as 'treatments'. But with many of these old time D.O.'s, no matter what other treatment you may have gotten, you always received some sort of manipulation (this was particularly true of Doc O'Banion and Doc Wilson). This is because the Osteopaths of generations gone by had bought in to Dr. Still's philosophy and seen how successful it was on a day to day basis with their patients.You see, despite the fact that A.T. Still
was considered a "frontier" doctor, his philosophy on healing was light years ahead of most of the medical profession of his day. And although the modern Osteopaths have long-abandoned it, this is still true when compared to today's "Drugs & Surgery First" medical community. But Still was far from the status quo. Like B. J. Palmer who would come shortly after him (their lives actually overlapped 35 years) he wrote book after book after book on the philosophy of healing ---- philosophy that is in many ways as valid and visionary today as it was back in the day. Dr. Still understood that the body had a remarkable ability to heal itself if interference was removed and the right conditions were met. His tools were his hands and he used them both to diagnose patients and treat them. This sounds a lot like our "Old School" Chiropractors ---- many of which are still in practice today. Sound like any D.O.'s you know today? Didn't think so. But this used to be the norm.Stick around tomorrow and learn about the Developer of Chiropractic, Dr. B.J. Palmer.
SCHIERLING CHIROPRACTIC, LLC
PAM ARNOLD; WHOLE BODY FASCIAL ADHESIONS
Here are a few of our latest Video Testimonials for Schierling Chiropractic, LLC. Dr. Schierling takes an especially keen interest in the people that the medical community has given up on. Case in point is Pam Arnold. Pam drives almost three hours one way to see us. As you will soon hear, her life was an upside down mess until she found us a few months ago. The Scar Tissue Remodeling Treatment has been a godsend for her.
MARY SIMPSON: SHOULDER / ROTATOR CUFF
LONNIE LUKE: BULL RIDER / NECK & BACK PAIN
Lonnie increased his percentage of bulls ridden by a phenomenal amount ---- after just his first treatment.
MORE ON (MORON) LYRICA
Photo by Acdx
Because of my blog, many of you are familiar with the massive fines levied on Pfizer
over the past several years --- two separate incidents, a handful of drugs, payoffs, faked data, and an FDA fine of nearly two and a half billion dollars. It's the kind of intrigue that would make a great movie (HERE
). And although Lyrica (Pregabalin) and its little sister Neuronitin (Gabapentin) have been used extensively in "Off Label" fashion for years (used for things that they are not approved for), what about the things they have
been approved for? One of the few things that Lyrica is actually approved by the FDA to "effectively" treat is Diabetic Neuropathy. Now it turns out that in two recent trials, it appears that Pfizer may be proven to have fudged data yet again.
The drug manufacturing giant announced last week that their neuropathy study on the effectiveness of their drugs on HIV Neuropathy was stopped early. Why? Only because after analyzing data part way through the study, no benefit
was found for the drug. And then they looked at these drugs in relationship to Diabetic Neuropathy. Guess what? That group was not helped either. The results of the drug group were not statistically different from those seen in the placebo group (3.9 versus 3.5 points on a standard 10-point scale).But don't take it from me. Listen to what Pfizer's spokespeople said about the study.
"The results revealed that the improvements in neuropathic pain symptoms in this study were virtually identical between the Lyrica and placebo treatments
". In case you have not figured it out yet, the drugs used by our Medical Community to treat Neuropathy do not work well. In fact, they work quite poorly. If you want to understand the best ways to deal with Neuropathy, you need to check out a few links.